• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Answered SirCelt's Questions

SirCelt

Hello! SirCelt here! I've got a few, perhaps very controversial and rule-teasing questions...

1. When signing up, it specifically says 'no sexual roleplay'.. I assume this means that in no circumstance, in no sense of roleplay, or in any other way, can there be any sexual content. My question is, is it against policy, or otherwise expected to be avoided? I've seen quite a lot of 'm/f, f/f, m/m' romance RPs, and to me, it seems like anything erotic is just an extension of romance.. So I wonder, how 'against the rules' is it? I ask because usually in my roleplays, they are focused more around adventure, action, exploration, etc.. But if characters interact, a romance forms and erotic roleplay happens, then it happens, but that's hardly the main theme of it.. So I'd like some opinions on that.

2. These forums have two things... Partner Search, and Group Search... I already have a group-roleplay running but am looking for a new player or two, would I look for partners and invite them in, or would I simply post in the 'Group Search', and look for individuals? I'm a bit befuddled on the matter.

3. Is it the case that all roleplay searched for here, has to be done here? Or can you simply make friends and RP buddies, and go to other mediums like Discord or Steam to RP on?

4. Are any themes or things not allowed, besides erotic content? I'd be interested to know.

5. Is it reasonable to ask for people here to join a group RP that uses a relatively simple custom lore, or should I look elsewhere for that?

1. Romance itself is allowed, and sexual themes to a certain extent I believe. Just not sexual content - Describing of genitalia, intercourse, etc.. For anything like that, we here use the 'Fade to black' method, where we just skip to the end and keep going from there.
  2. You're recruiting for a group roleplay, so that'd go in the group Interest Checks. Since people who look in Partner Search are expecting to be in a roleplay with just you and them.
  3. That used to be the case, but now there's an off-site ad section for RPs that take place, well, offsite. The location we prefer you to advertise on depends on where you most prefer to RP
  4. Excessive description of gore and mutilation. That's the only other thing I know of, everything else is free game
  5. I don't see a problem with that ^.^ It all depends on who you ask, whether they'd be interested.

1) So as long as you aren't actively describing sex, or describing it through any euphemisms, then you're good. People here just do the usual fade to black here to avoid problems.

2) group roleplay, although if this RP is an offsite rp, you'd want to put it in Offsite Ads.

3) We've recently allowed people to post interest checks to off site RPs in Offsite Ads, as long as it passes site rules.

4) The big two are Erotic Content and Excessive Gore.

5) There's no problem with that. There's a large variety of RPs here, some that are simple, some that are detailed.

Here's a good resource that'll answer a lot of questions: RpN FAQ

So I wonder, how 'against the rules' is it?
Extremely. Our rule against erotic content is one of the most serious we have here. I know the other two answered it already, but because we tend to come down heavily on that, I want to make it clear that posting any sort of erotic content will get someone in trouble, almost always starting with a 24-hour temporary ban and getting more severe with repeat offenses.

I see, that's all very interesting!
When signing up, it specifically says you can't 'lure people' off-site for erotic purposes or sexual content.
My question then is, what if a serious rp does brews romance, and potentially an erotic situation, off-site? Is it reasonable to assume then that it's up to whoever goes off-site and their interests? Or is that an unreasonable expectation. My goal isn't to /lure/ anyone away or try to promote eroticism, far from it... Typically, my group rp just has a sort of action-serious set of themes and whatnot, so I don't want to encourage people to join if they'd be against those types of things. Since it can have action and adventure and whatnot, there's bound to be combat, and combat always has a little gore and blood strewn about, so that may not be something I should expect people here to be interested in!

Another thing, is that since it is serious, if romance brews and potentially erotic situations, I kind of just leave it up to whoever's playing those characters to decide what they want to do, f2b or not.
Thoughts? I'm merely provoking speculation, not trying to suggest anything or push any kind of theme (well, beyond the serious-action-adventure theme my roleplays generally have anyways >.>)

When signing up, it specifically says you can't 'lure people' off-site for erotic purposes or sexual content.
My question then is, what if a serious rp does brews romance, and potentially an erotic situation, off-site? Is it reasonable to assume then that it's up to whoever goes off-site and their interests? Or is that an unreasonable expectation. My goal isn't to /lure/ anyone away or try to promote eroticism, far from it... Typically, my group rp just has a sort of action-serious set of themes and whatnot, so I don't want to encourage people to join if they'd be against those types of things. Since it can have action and adventure and whatnot, there's bound to be combat, and combat always has a little gore and blood strewn about, so that may not be something I should expect people here to be interested in!

Another thing, is that since it is serious, if romance brews and potentially erotic situations, I kind of just leave it up to whoever's playing those characters to decide what they want to do, f2b or not.
Thoughts? I'm merely provoking speculation, not trying to suggest anything or push any kind of theme (well, beyond the serious-action-adventure theme my roleplays generally have anyways >.>)
Oh, and that being said with me not being sure about people being comfortable with those types of roleplays.. Do you know of any sites that would be more welcome to what I'm looking for/expecting/anticipating?

For the purpose of our rules, offering to take things offsite for erotic/sexual content, offering to take things into PM, or offering to take it anywhere, really, falls under our Encouraging Erotic Content rule. Because we're responsible for all content on our site, including links (not the other sites, but the existence of the links in posts on our site), we don't allow any of that. (This includes recommending other sites, so we can't answer your second post's question either, sorry.)

To clarify, romance is fine, and we have a gazillion romance RPs. ^33^ It's the specifically sexual parts that are disallowed. It's not that people aren't interested in them here, or that they're discouraged -- they are actively banned from the site. So it's not up to individual users whether sexual content can be part of the RP on our site.

As far as gore: we have a gazillion action-type RPs too, and a lot of horror ones. It's the "excessive" part of the phrase that's important here. We don't object to heads getting chopped off (unless they're ours!) but we do ask that people not go into so much detail about that others get nauseated. It's a subjective line to draw, I know, but if it helps, it's only come up very, very rarely. I think we've only had to warn someone a couple times for it, it's that rare.

First and foremost I want to clarify that a little gore is alright. There just were some people here that went waaaaaaaay too far into detail with it, those people are who that rule is for.

As for ERP offsite, we discourage that as well. The reason being that you don't know how old the person you're talking to is, and we could get in trouble if someone finds out you got there from here and gets the police involved.

Edit: Gah, congrats Kaerri Kaerri , you ninja'd the ninja master XD

LegoLad659 LegoLad659 ehehehehe ^;3^

And yes, the main reason we're so strict on erotic content is because that sort of thing can get us (and the participants) into serious legal trouble.

I see! That's very interesting to me!
So typically, you simply don't want backlash or anything like that to be a problem, if such a thing did come up. I see.

Theoretically one could have a conversation with someone about their relative age, make sure they're an adult, avoid backlash that way.. But that's not really something you have control over as a site, and that would be something you discourage regardless.

Well, I may recruit here then! Generally my group rp has more action and character development than anything else, which is fun. There actually hasn't been any romance or erotic themes yet, but there may be situations where I want to provoke responses from characters... Like I don't know, a dancer or something. You get the idea. Comedic effect and such. Any erotic or romance content has to be agreed upon, since people make their characters with, or without those things in mind, and someone underage or not interested in erotic themes wouldn't include those themes in their characters' interests.

I don't at all push for erotic themes in my roleplay, especially off the bat without extensive character development and interaction. But, in my off-site roleplay, I do leave the options open for people who do have those interests. Just wanted to make that clear :D

I suppose the most reasonable thing to do then if I recruit here, is after recruiting someone, explain to them off-site the nuances of my roleplay, the /potential/ for erotic content (remembering that any erotic content would HAVE to be consensual, since the characters would have to be interested, and we create the characters, and therefor their interests), and that they understand that it's up to them to F2B or not, and if they don't want to fade to back, to make sure they're of proper age and won't bring backlash. Is that a correct way of looking at it, to cover all the bases? Speculation, of course.

Also, if it is a rather touchy and difficult topic, and it would be more reasonable to recruit from somewhere else for this kinda roleplay, with these /technical possibilities/, are there any recommendations here for that? As in, other sites to recruit from that are more okay with that content to avoid backlash? Of course if I just wanted erotic content there are some.. less lucrative sites to look into... But I want real roleplayers who are interested in action and adventure and such! Character development can't be dismissed. :)

Regardless, thank you so far for your opinions and help!

SirCelt SirCelt I hope I'm not coming down too hard on you, I really do want you and everyone to have a fun and positive time here. For me that also means answering your questions here as fully as possible to avoid your getting in trouble down the line because you weren't sure what you could and could not do here.

You might find this helpful also: PSA: Why We Don't Allow Erotic Roleplaying

SirCelt SirCelt I hope I'm not coming down too hard on you, I really do want you and everyone to have a fun and positive time here. For me that also means answering your questions here as fully as possible to avoid your getting in trouble down the line because you weren't sure what you could and could not do here.

You might find this helpful also: PSA: Why We Don't Allow Erotic Roleplaying
Of course not! I am very happy with a little hard-line criticism and tough love, so to speak. I'd much rather that, than say something bad or use a strange word, or suggest something, then get banned due to some miscommunication or lack of understanding!

I see! That's very interesting to me!
So typically, you simply don't want backlash or anything like that to be a problem, if such a thing did come up. I see.

Theoretically one could have a conversation with someone about their relative age, make sure they're an adult, avoid backlash that way.. But that's not really something you have control over as a site, and that would be something you discourage regardless.

Well, I may recruit here then! Generally my group rp has more action and character development than anything else, which is fun. There actually hasn't been any romance or erotic themes yet, but there may be situations where I want to provoke responses from characters... Like I don't know, a dancer or something. You get the idea. Comedic effect and such. Any erotic or romance content has to be agreed upon, since people make their characters with, or without those things in mind, and someone underage or not interested in erotic themes wouldn't include those themes in their characters' interests.

I don't at all push for erotic themes in my roleplay, especially off the bat without extensive character development and interaction. But, in my off-site roleplay, I do leave the options open for people who do have those interests. Just wanted to make that clear :D

I suppose the most reasonable thing to do then if I recruit here, is after recruiting someone, explain to them off-site the nuances of my roleplay, the /potential/ for erotic content (remembering that any erotic content would HAVE to be consensual, since the characters would have to be interested, and we create the characters, and therefor their interests), and that they understand that it's up to them to F2B or not, and if they don't want to fade to back, to make sure they're of proper age and won't bring backlash. Is that a correct way of looking at it, to cover all the bases? Speculation, of course.

Also, if it is a rather touchy and difficult topic, and it would be more reasonable to recruit from somewhere else for this kinda roleplay, with these /technical possibilities/, are there any recommendations here for that? As in, other sites to recruit from that are more okay with that content to avoid backlash? Of course if I just wanted erotic content there are some.. less lucrative sites to look into... But I want real roleplayers who are interested in action and adventure and such! Character development can't be dismissed. :)

Regardless, thank you so far for your opinions and help!
The problem with that is that anyone can lie about their age on the internet. If someone underage uses that to start sexual RP, and the police get involved, then that again puts us on the burner.

Well, I technically can't say "yes, you can do that" because then I'd be breaking the rules. But, theoretically speaking, if you happen to strike up a friendship with someone, and for any reason that isn't against our rules you two decide, in your conversation here, to take your conversation and/or RP elsewhere, we can't and don't police offsite stuff, whether that's another Discord server, email, another site, what-have-you. Just remember, you and your partner both, that if anything happens offsite that you don't like, you'll have to take it up with that host, not with us. (I say this because we do get the occasional complaint about offsite behavior, but we can't do anything about it because it isn't under our authority or rules.) That's why in our rules we mention that sharing offsite contact information is at the user's risk.

As I said, we can't recommend other sites that allow stuff we don't allow, but, uh, it's the internet, and I'm sure it's not news to anyone that there are such things out there somewhere.

Ah, missed the part where it was off-site XD Fair enough, then yeah, it falls under the other site's jurisdiction

The problem with that is that anyone can lie about their age on the internet. If someone underage uses that to start sexual RP, and the police get involved, then that again puts us on the burner.
Don't you make that risk with everyone on the internet? Also, would it still tie in with you if the interaction was off-site? For example, I typically RP in my discord... So if something was to happen it would be in a DM or in my discord, and have no link with yours? Or, would the possibility of them referencing your site still be an issue?
Still very much speculation, I like making these types of conversations, covering bases, et cetera.

By the way, on the subject of "bad words" ^;3^: We disallow very few words, actually, in case you were wondering. Swearing and cursing is, by and large, perfectly permissable. Certain slurs, such as those that are racist, sexist, or derogatory towards romantic/sexual inclination are not allowed, and we have a filter that blocks them and replaces them with the phrase "I'm uncultured." Evading this filter with spaces, alternate spellings, punctuation, or other means is not permitted. If you aren't sure if a word is permitted, you can make a list in your Private Workshop (only you and Staff can see it) and see what gets replaced.

If it's on Discord, and not in our RpN server, it's at the user's risk and under Discord's jurisdiction. We would only get involved if you advertised, on our site, for that Discord RP with clear intent to have sexual/erotic content there. Or if it was discussed here as a place to go for erotic content, or something like that.

I see, so my original speculation about advertising for serious roleplay here, then when getting to a discord, talking about the possibility of erotic content, is theoretically just completely fine? :o

If there is nothing on RpNation or its associated Discord server to indicate rulebreaking content (sexual or otherwise), we would have no reason to get involved, no. But I cannot officially endorse that. >.>

I see. Well, like I said I'm not in it for erotic content, I just like options to be available for people who want it. Anyways, I think this has been really darn useful! Do hit me up if any of my stuff is remotely interesting/doable. Or, you know, suggest people who would be interested! :O

Happy to help ^33^

Check out our Looking for Players section, it's where everyone posts their interest checks (i.e. "I like this, who else wants to RP it?").

And this may go without saying by now, but feel free to ask any questions you have. ^;3^

SirCelt SirCelt

The short of it is basically this; no erotic content here on the site and no using the site to take erotic content offsite. As mentioned, it's common practice and actually kind of common sense in this age that minors can, will, and do lie about their age. This means as much as you try to verify someone's age, short of asking for some government issued ID and hoping they haven't edited in Photoshop, you're putting yourself and others under legal risk.

So, based on your hypothetical. You ask for a discord group roleplay on your server, link your server here on RpNation and within your server a member who joins finds that you are directing matters and permit sexual/erotic roleplay with your server and they report you. You are placing yourself in a high risk of being banned from the site.

You are welcome to have your action and adventure roleplays and whatever else, but erotic is a strictly prohibited and the site from even being used as a connection point for erotic content. If you are seriously really desiring to allow that aspect in your roleplay, then I wouldn't promote it here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back