Side Story: Enforced Liquidation - Complete

KageYuuki

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Roleplay Type(s)
Mission: Enforced Liquidation
Description: I asked for a delicate matter of mine to be taken care recently, the destruction of a defective product of mine. I found more defective blades I would like taken care of. The last ninja sent was great decent, but I'm not sure I would trust the same ninja again, I would prefer Hideki Ukita, I knew his mother well. Feel free to bring along more.

I suspect there will be combat, but no ninja has gotten hold of these, that much I'm sure of. To be honest, I'm not sure what it is I heard in that cave, but its no living human that's for sure.

Regards,
Murasame.

The Thirsting Forge was as lively as ever as a pair of ninjas approached it. As normal two swordsmen tested their blades against each other in front of the forge, with one crying slightly in the distance as he bandaged a fairly deep cut. Sitting atop the anvil as was his norm, Murasame watched the pair approach wearing his darkened robes.

“Ah, Ukita, good to see you. How is that blade treating you? And who might you be, Miss?

Glad they sent me more… sensible ninja this time. It wasn’t til hindsight I realized what a bad choice my previous one was. Still, life is meant to be learned from, no matter how old it is. First things first. I would like a promise of discretion from both of you before I explain the details of the mission. Also, everyone in this yard, get out.”

An ungodly killing intent rose from the man, and suddenly the yard was barren except for the three. Every student there knew better than to cross their master.

“Murasame, A pleasure to hear you request me. I do owe you thanks for returning the sword to its original state. I can attest to its strength, the Hoshikage especially could.” he smirked as he patted the blade in question. “But you know you have my word for discretion, this is Yukari by the way, a good friend of mine.” he motioned to her hoping she would introduce herself further.

Yukari offered a bow, the rings on her staff jingling softly. “A pleasure, master Murasame. Hideki spoke highly of your work on our way. Naturally, we’ll keep the matters of the mission confidential.”

“Naturally he would, I make the finest blades in the world. The pleasure is mine, Ms Yukari. The boy has good tastes it seems. Glad to see my blades being put to use. Anyways, I suppose its mission time. I hate giving this story, hated giving it to that damnable Sanada, hate giving it here. I’ll make it short. Me being the best swordsmith in the world’s hardly an exaggeration. I suppose there’s my master that could rival, but the old fool makes blades that cut evil only. Whatever the blazes that is. My blades cut everything. Flesh, bone, armor, everything.

We’re the best there is because we use a forgotten technique. And this technique is what I want your discretion on. We put our souls into it. Not some metaphorical piece of garbage. We actually put our souls into it, or fragments of them. Do NOT under any circumstance, reveal that. I am paying for your discretion, and I expect it. Your villages lie to you often enough, return the favor if they ask. This technique I use can be traced back to the era of the Sage, it is mostly forgotten. I believe me and my master are the only two who know it. And so it should be.

Now, why do I tell you that? Because I used to have an apprentice I taught this to. He took it a step further and started adding other people’s souls to his blades. A real menace. Can you imagine harvesting souls for blades? Sure blades kill, that’s the nature of warfare, but even I have my limits.

Naturally, I killed him. But I never did find his cache of weapons. If anyone found them, it could be incriminating against me. One was found by a samurai, he tried to attack the Lightning Daimyo, already had a Leaf Ninja deal with him and the sword. Better have dealt with the sword... Anyways, I found the rest of his cache, and I don’t like it. There is cave north of here, and I felt my foolish apprentice’s chakra from inside. He’s dead as a doornail, and unless he’s figured out how to live without his head, two kidneys, a heart, set of lungs, or his intestines, that can only mean one thing. His cache.

I tried entering the cave, but my intuition told me to leave. I didn’t get to 259 by not listening to my gut, that’s for sure… wait… forget you heard that number. But I need you to go inside, and break each and every blade inside. There wasn’t any sign of life in there, so I’m not sure what’s wrong with the cave, but my gut tells me it’s definitely on the higher scale of your ninja missions. My gut was right last time too. Alright, any other questions? I like you, but be warned I might not feel like answering. I don’t like this story.”

Hideki blinked a few times and looked to the sword on his hip. “...So… Go in, break the blades. What makes this one different? Damn thing turned into a demon blade when it was broken.

What makes it so these won't?”

“Hehehe, it only did what I would do if stripped of command. It IS me, remember. Here, I’ll hand you my Forge Hammer to destroy them with. That will do it if nothing else will. Good smith giveth, good smith taketh away. Means I won’t be smithing for a bit, so return it ASAP, but for me, this is more important. This’ll cost me probably 2 million Ryo, but dammit I will NOT have these blades loose.”

With that, Murasame turned to his forge, and pulled out a small smithing hammer he handed to Hideki.

Hideki almost chuckled a bit at the small size of the hammer. For delicate work he supposed. “Well.. if you're certain it’ll work. Then it will, otherwise I hope these swords don’t put up much of a fight… God knows I know what this thing can do.” he sighed and put the hammer away.

“..Speaking of...What should the swords be capable of anyways? Aren’t they simply swords now?”

“I’m not their smith, I don’t know. However, is yours a simple sword? I also don't know what’s in that cave, why I’m sending you. If it’s a human wielding those blades, run. You will die. My apprentice’s methods were… effective. I only killed him to stop whatever chaos he’d bring though you see. Young lady, do you have any questions?”

Yukari had been silent, listening intently to the smith’s story. A soul forcefully bound in something never ended well. Releasing what would no doubt be numerous vengeful spirits… Even if the hammer kept them from becoming like Hideki’s sword had, would the souls even find a modicum of peace?

“No, I suppose I don’t,” she said finally. “Though I would recommend setting out a large offering once this mission’s finished.”

“Bah, offering to what? Don’t own the cave, didn’t market the blades, kill the people, nor do I care about any vengeful spirit. I’ve caused thousands to die. I am a swordsmith. I make instruments of death. This isn’t even the largest massacre I’ve been connected to. Tell me you’re not another Leaf Hero, I’ve had enough of those.”

A small, wry smile crossed the kunoichi’s lips, “I’m no hero. Just someone that’s dealt with more than their share of spirits.”

“In any case, cave’s north, mission’s to destroy those blades, I’m no fool, might not be a B-rank. I’d prefer not to have information on my little technique spread, but do what you have to. Now, seeing as I’m without my hammer for a bit, I’m going to go out. Happy mission or whatever.”

With that, Murasame finally jumped down from his forge, and headed inside. HIm packing could be heard.

The cave was about 2 hours north of the Village Hidden by Waterfalls. Cold air misted out of the cave, and with it, a deep killing intent resonated as well. However, to Yukari’s tremor sense, no movement could be detected inside. The cave wasn’t natural, it was dug out, and only about a quarter mile deep. A deep reddish paint was across the walls of the cave, though upon closer inspection, it wasn’t paint. A skull or two would also be seen on passing.

“...Well damn… You probably smelled this cave before I saw what's in it.” Hideki sighed as he looked at the skulls.

Yukari gave a short nod, “damp air and old blood, lovely. Cave doesn’t really go that far at least, and no branching paths. I can’t feel anything moving in there.”

“Well, guess we found the right place, cave screams “ leave or die” so that's a good sign.” The young man began cracking his knuckles. “...Some mission for us to finally be together again in huh? Dragged into my family friend business.”

He somewhat viewed Murasame as a… Distant uncle? He'd never say it out loud, but if he was his mother's, however distant, friend, he'd at least owe the man this much.

Plus that fucking price tag, hooo boy.

“So, I'd say ladies first but…”

The kunoichi strode past him without missing a beat, “wanna be the knight in shining armor~?” Yukari smirked, “Already have a sword and shield.”

“Just a sword mostly now, became my own shield.” The young man wasn't fully certain about being that knight anymore, not quite shining after his recent streak it seems. Sooner or later playing Casanova was gonna get him killed.

He followed her inside nonetheless.

As went deeper in the cave, light would grow dimmer, though not fade completely. A wailing sound could be heard inside, however. Yet, likely odd to Yukari, not a single footstep or weight of a person could be felt. Slight cracks in the earth ahead could be felt though as the rock ended from one material, and became another.

Inside, one hundred swords were driven into the ground. Each one created with intricate design, and a lot of care. Each one also laid to rest in what seemed to be a skeleton. It would actually be hard to tell with moss growing over them, and decay taking over. The oddest thing, however, was despite the wear and cave of everything else in the cave, the swords were still bright, almost gleaming in the little light inside.

As soon as Yukari and Hideki entered, an enormous feeling of dread fell. It was much like killing intent, only instead of their deaths, the two would see a thousand deaths of others. People they had never met, nor knew. The entire cave seemed to squirm with misery. The sight might be odder on Yukari than on Hideki considering she too would see it. After a moment, it passed, the cave returning to as normal as it could, a cold breeze passing through again. And Yukari the familiar sight of nothing.

Murasame on his anvil smoked a pipe, and left a stream of smoke out his mouth as he looked to the north.

“I wonder if I should have told them the name of the cave: Yomi. Well, no helping it now, as far as they know, it has no name. I really should have figured out Shuren would poison a cave that much with his works. Oh well.”

He blew another puff of smoke.

Hideki’s whole body shivered, that was an understatement, rather his whole body reacted with revulsion and horror. His instincts lead his hand to his sword, the odd feeling of a pulse coming from it warming his body somewhat, life-affirming warmth. Was it so different than the blades in this room?

The blades the glowed softly in the dark and gave off the auras of unimaginable pain and horror?

He wanted to leave, but his feet would not let him, his animalistic senses screaming for his to leave and never return to the place. Fight or flight, but yet he froze. He looked to Yukari for a moment to speak but all that came out was a small croak. Confusion, it reigned as his mind and soul came back to him from wherever it was sent for those few brief moments.

“..hell-...Hello?” he spoke to the room looking at the swords, unsure he.. Really could even speak to them.

The rings of Yukari’s staff jingled as she clutched it. Her knuckles turning white in a desperate attempt to ground herself. If only for a brief moment, she could detect the sharp scent of blood, hear the final, terrified cries of the dying. Yukari’s blood ran cold as she watched countless lives being extinguished, seeing all of it with perfect clarity.

Bile burned her throat as she finally managed to speak, “They need put to rest…”

The cave was silent for a moment, and then at Hideki’s ‘hello’, all color faded from the cave, along with all smell and a identifications, dragging Hideki and Yukari in front of a campfire. On the other sides stood hundreds of people. Two were prominent in the front. A woman with dark rings under her eyes and white hair, clothing, and skin, and a man scowling at the two, with red hair and sharp, lean muscles, not wearing much other than half a vest. All one hundred seemed to be chained to the campfire.

The woman spoke first.

“H-hello? What is it you want us for? Did you mean it? About putting us to rest?”

The man pushed her.

“Shirohime, remember last time you trusted someone? That Samurai? And he just took Ichinose inside Bājin Chikari with him. I’d rather be chained for eternity than used again.”

“…Fuck this is a lot of souls…” Hideki spat out, not catching his tongue before he said it. He held up his hands. “I swear, we are not here to take or use any of you. What has happened to you is beyond an affront to life and the sanctity of your lives.” says the young man who has killed A LOT of people with a demon sword.

...He hoped it wouldn’t show up here... That's the last thing he needed…

“We have been contacted by a third party to end this prison, this hammer will see to it the destruction can occur without issue… If you are willing to go along with it... “ he paused for a moment.

“...Shattering the blades will allow you to move on, but... It’s still your life, technically.” the young man felt bad for it, so he made it a decision for them, move on to see the light or.. Well... Live as they can?

“...By the by, my name is Hideki Ukita, a pleasure to meet you all, despite the circumstances.”

Yukari silently stood beside him, transfixed on the sight of the gathered spirits. So many things people took for granted. The different faces, the color of their clothing, she could see the wariness in their eyes. Even the soft glow of the small campfire was memorizing.

She looked down at her own trembling fingers, feeling tears welling up in her eyes. Yukari’s gaze shifted to Hideki beside her, he’d changed so much in the past few months. He looked older and more experienced.

Or had her memory really faded so much already?

The two in front of the crowd were silent for a minute as both thought about Hideki’s request. The entire crowd was apparently.

“But how do we know we can trust you? How do we know that hammer’s not just going to move our souls somewhere else. Use it to power something else. Like Murasame’s piece there. Get out here you snake.”

The halfvested man walked up to Hideki and snatched his sword, grabbing it, and literally pulling it out. Instead of a blade falling to the ground, a man dressed in black cloth fell to the ground. It was the same clothing Murasame wore.

Hideki sputtered at the sudden change, so what the old man was saying was true, he was inside it?!?

Half vest approached the two looking angrily.

“Do you two know what that thing does? Whenever its owner dies, it has a buffet. Tch, same type of sword happened to my father. I came to a swordsmith named Shuren for revenge. Said I wanted power. Look what he gave me. I’m not trusting Murasame’s lackeys to free us. Murasame looked at that monster, Shuren, and said ‘I think he’d make a great apprentice.’ Both are monsters. I’d rather rot forever than be used. You come near any of our blades, I will do everything I can to kill you.”

The man faded from the campfire, seeming to literally disappear. In the crowd behind the two, one after another, dozens left, leaving the area more and more empty.

Shirohime, however, remained, looking at the two behind a sleeve. She looked at Yukari in particular.

“There might be some other way. Use the hammer on me if you have to, but Koji’ll throw a fit then… There’s something different about you. Like… I don’t know, feels like I can connect easier to you. Think you can find a way to break our bonds? My chakras running out, so I can’t do ninshu too much longer, but… if you try it. Try to connect to my chakra...”

She started to fade as well. Soon Hideki and Yukari would find themselves back in the cave. Hideki would find his sword where it always was. One of the blades seemed to shake in the ground, one with a red and brown hilt.

“...I see…” Hideki paused for a moment staring at the blades. “At times like these, proof to our authenticity would be needed.

But you all have done me a service… One thing I had wondered for some time is if there was a way to get revenge for my mother's death, the previous wielder of the blade.”
He withdrew the sword in question, looking a bit… Well… devilish.

“Murasame… If you can hear me within this sword… Best make some more apprentices.” He dropped the blade to the floor and followed it with the hammer. “Because this isn't the only one I'll be snapping you lying snake!”

A screaming could be heard in the cave again, as the soul inside the sword, a piece of Murasame’s, floated out the sword and around the hammer, clinging to it, then starting to dissipate. A moment later, a chakra similar to Hideki’s would start to leak out of the destroyed katana, evaporating into the air.

“Hope you felt that you old sack of shit.” Hideki spat before looking to Yukari. “...Umm... Hey are you okay?” he walked over a put a hand on her shoulder. Was she crying…?

Suddenly as the light had come, Yukari found herself thrown back into a world of darkness. Part of her wanted to scream, curse being teased with sight only for it to be ripped away again. “I’m fine,” she said suddenly, pushing Hideki’s hand away. “...I’m fine,” were the softer words meant for Hideki or herself?

They still had a mission to complete, though now the kunoichi wasn’t so sure about using the hammer they’d been given. The words Shirohime said still lingered, that Yukari could connect to her chakra… “I don’t really believe that snake’s story on the hammer freeing them. We need to find Shirohime, it sounded like she might have an idea.” A feat easier said than done for Yukari, as far as her tremor sense was concerned the weapons appeared nearly identical.

From Yukari’s left, she would feel a slight tap, before it faded. A foreign chakra trying to connect to hers, but too weak to actually work for more than a second. Most of the blades were still, except one quivering in the ground, and a white one slightly tilted towards them.

A faint tap, a weak pull on her chakra, Yukari turned in the direction it came from. She could feel that a second sword had shifted slightly, almost offering its hilt. “Hideki… what color is this sword?” She asked, carefully approaching it.

“Umm… it's..” He paused for a moment. “Hmm, actually a rather beautiful white, all the way through. Maybe it was that beauty we saw in the kimono? I wonder which is that fellah who tore out Murasame… should thank him even if he was proving a point.” Hideki muttered as he looked around.

“Try the sword that won’t stop shaking,” Yukari nodded in the direction of the trembling blade. At least all of its shaking helped illuminate the cave for her, so to speak. Kneeling in front of the white sword, she lightly gripped its hilt and sent a gentle wave of chakra into it.

Suddenly Yukari was in front of the campfire again, with Shirohime kneeled in front of it, still chained. She looked up hopefully with a smile on her face.

“Hey, you managed it! Think you can undo this chain?”

“I’m… not sure what exactly I managed,” Yukari moved next to Shirohime, unable to take her eyes off her, “But I can try.”

“It’s called Ninshu. I’m not a ninja, I just have a kekkei genkai, but apparently, before ninjutsu the sage used to use ninshu to connect people. Chakra was used to communicate. I mean, I’m dead by more than a century, and you seemed shocked to see us earlier, but that doesn’t matter when two souls use ninshu. Its what Shuren used on us, and what we had to learn to not go mad. You can communicate emotions, and see into people. Thank you.”

Shirohime moved to grasp Yukari’s hand for a second, and in that time, Yukari would feel every emotion Shirohime felt. Gratitude, hope, and acceptance.

“Though, kinda weird. You seem really easy to connect to. Almost like you were already trained in it or something.”

Silently in the background, Yukari could swear she heard Koma's phantom snickering as she said that.

Yukari chuckled softly, “I… kinda deal with spirits on a regular basis. So I guess I did get some training.” She hesitated before reaching to grasp the chain with both hands, Yukari poured her own chakra into it. At first, nothing happened, then cracks began to slowly form. The chain finally exploded in a shower of light.

At the breaking of the chain, Shirohime started to dissolve, starting at her feet, and moving upwards.

“Thanks. Guess I can move on. Hey, before I’m gone, let me give you some of my chakra, maybe it’ll help you connect to other people more. Thank you, thank you…. Thank you…”

Shirohime grabbed Yukari’s hand once more, as the rest of her faded, her hand the last to do so, leaving a warm light behind in Yukari’s hand, before the campfire faded again.

In the cave again, the sword Yukari held chipped, then cracked, then broke in half, before starting to dissolve itself. All around Yukari, there were more than a hundred swords. One thing was sure, this was going to be a long day.

The final sword quivered and quaked as Yukari worked, still trying to break free of the ground. Each person/sword before him had expressed gratitude at peacefully being allowed to move on. Not Koji. Despite being a sword, it very much was trying to live up to its promise, the final sword, Koji, the ball of rage.

At being last, it finally managed to break free, the sword flying at the apparent priestess.

“Oh no, you don't.” Hideki shifted forwards, shield up to block the blade. “Koji was it? Weren't exactly subtle with your antics. You can go peacefully with Yukari, or the hammer. Up to you big man.” Hideki warned as he twirled the hammer in his other hand… he couldn't help but feel a hammer and shield combo was… Well matched? Something about it worked.

Though he did feel he needed to grow a beard for some reason.

The raging sword aimed for between Hideki’s eyes, not about to quit now. Koji was a man of his word at the very least. Having no body, strapped to a sword, and freedom promised, he still moved out of nothing more than pure willpower.

“Son of a-” he flicked the shield up again, deflecting the strike and tossing away the flailing sword. In one of the strikes, he buffeted the blade back and kept the shield upon it in the push, swinging the hammer back at the shield where the sword was, emulating a hammer striking an anvil.

In a shower of sparks, and a scream, the soul of Koji could be seen briefly before flickering away.

“...Fuck man, until the end you're an angry mess eh? Probably the same way when you were alive “ Hideki sighed with a shake of his head.

“I don’t blame him though, after having everything taken from him…” Yukari pushed herself back to her feet, suddenly feeling lightheaded. “Fuck,” a staggering step before collapsing. “Overdid it a little…”

“You think? Just a few hundred exorcisms in under a few hours.” Hideki walked over, putting away his shield and.. well... Plopping the hammer into his bag as he doesn't have a holder yet. “So, I don't think we're getting our pay after my stunt there… but… Hey, felt good.

...So…

I'm thinking ramen, how about you?”

“...Ramen sounds nice… Maybe some sake?”

“As the lady requests, We're a bit far off from the leaf right now, probably stop at a hotel then head off in the morning.

Until then, let's get drunk and get rid of this day huh? Come on.”
He hoisted up his blind friend princess style and leapt off, leaving the horrid cave behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back