Other Show Me Your Unusual Pets

Nihilum

HONEEEEYY? WHERE'S MY SUPER SUIT?!
The creepy crawlies. The scaley lads. The hoppy boys. The feathered terrors. I want to see your unusual pets! I'll start us off with some pictures of The Lads.™ They're a trio of White's Tree Frogs, currently nameless because they're only about three and a half months old. They yell. A lot.

20210606_140511.jpg20210606_140452.jpg

I used to have a grey tree frog. Unfortunately I don't know where my old phone with the pictures are, but here's a pic off of google.

1623173006567.jpeg

They trill loudly like birds, which is terrifying the first time you hear it. Also, if you shine a light on them in the dark they have the freaking eyes of Satan himself.

Do chickens count?

My ladies, Stolle, Josie, Diva and Fluffy.
Give them some space to dig and they'll turn the place upside down xD

signal-2021-06-07-131018.jpg

IMG-20210531-192619.jpg

I used to have a grey tree frog. Unfortunately I don't know where my old phone with the pictures are, but here's a pic off of google.
We have those all over the place here! I've never seen one up close before as they're arboreal, but they're nifty little guys. Super teeny.
Do chickens count?

My ladies, Stolle, Josie, Diva and Fluffy.
Give them some space to dig and they'll turn the place upside down xD
I won't lie, chickens scare me. They're so unpredictable. And I gotta ask: they allegedly stabilize their heads completely, no matter how you turn or rotate them if you pick them up...is that an actual thing??

-- snip --
I won't lie, chickens scare me. They're so unpredictable. And I gotta ask: they allegedly stabilize their heads completely, no matter how you turn or rotate them if you pick them up...is that an actual thing??

I gotta say I really love chickens.
They're just damn curious and, against what many believe, very intelligent. You never know what they'll do the next second because they just love to explore.
And then there's the common misunderstanding when it comes to the pecking. You know how sensitive human fingertips are; chickens' beaks are even more sensitive. Everything we would explore with our hands and fingers, a chicken explores by pecking, which some people might misunderstand as aggression.
If a chicken pecks at you it most likely is just investigating.

And yep, they're capable of doing that.
Basically, when you, as a human, move your head and focus on a certain point, your vestibular system will tell your brain that you are moving, and your brain will react by simultaneously moving your eyes so you can fixate that point even with your head or body moving.
Chickens can't move their eyes, though, so they compensate movement by completely stabilizing their entire head when they fixate a certain point. They don't always do that, sometimes they'll just look around, too (if you don't move them around, that is, and just stay still), but if there's something that catches their interest, yep! 😊

tumblr_n0snruDNlx1s9ab4to1_400.gif

Last edited:
Not scaly or nuthin', but not a dog or cat, either!
20210531_161851.jpg20210526_213125.jpg20210508_100546~3.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back