Advice/Help Should I correct my RP Partner?

Coco Adel

The Abandoned Maiden
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
So I'm doing a 1x1 with someone, we are building a world together and so far I've been the one coming up with all the ideas. I have no issue with this I'm willing to do so for as long as it takes for my partner to come up with their own ideas and it's not like I want to control the RP I want them to have their ideas put in as well, I just don't want them to feel pressured to come up with them very fast.

Which is what brings me to my current dilemma. So far I've been the one to come up with all the ideas and to be fair we are fairly early into the RP. However, my partner recently came up with their first idea pertaining to the world and not just their character they created a creature. However, here is the problem. Our characters are hunting monsters and beforehand I had already named the 3 monsters and described them, now we are on the last monster and my partner has misnamed the last monster and changed it completely from what it was, the names are similar but the creatures are nowhere near alike. The original was moreso a giant scorpion/spider/shark-like creature and the one they came up with is like a fairy-harpy/phantom mix.

It's not that I don't like the idea and I'd have been completely fine with it had I not already named and described the creature in the RP, but I did, which leads me to believe that they may have forgotten that I did so, but at the same time this is the first idea they've put in so I don't necessarily want to take it from them and make them feel like they can't have ideas too. So I was wondering if in my next reply should I have my character correct them and tell them they misheard and remind them of what the original creature was or should I let it go in favor of them having their first idea in the RP?

So to be clear it’s an issue of them forgetting a previous post? In that case the simplest solution is just to have their monster be renamed in the post.

It doesn’t seem like a big edit for them to just change the name to something different. Unless there is a specific reason there needs to only be three monsters?

I think you should correct them in this situation.

If they think it is your idea, not their own, then correcting their mistake shouldn't remove incentive to create ideas of their own. After all, they didn't think of it as their own idea to begin with.

If they think that it was their idea, then they were trying to atribute what you said to their idea. You shouldn't allow that precedent.

So to be clear it’s an issue of them forgetting a previous post? In that case the simplest solution is just to have their monster be renamed in the post.

It doesn’t seem like a big edit for them to just change the name to something different. Unless there is a specific reason there needs to only be three monsters?
It's not as simple as a name change as I said and named and described the monster in question and monster he came up with has a similar name but looks nothing like the oringal creature they were supposed to be going after. It's not that there has to be simply 3 monsters period it's that they picked up 3 jobs to hunt 3 specific monsters and we were on the last one, which again I had already name and described and my partner has changed it. So I'm asking if I should ignore it so they can have their first idea or correct it.

Maybe correct them this time. If the jobs and monsters, they were going after were already established you shouldn't just let them replace the last one without cause. Maybe just reminds them of what the original monster was supposed to be and then you can go after their monster next?

It's not as simple as a name change as I said and named and described the monster in question and monster he came up with has a similar name but looks nothing like the oringal creature they were supposed to be going after. It's not that there has to be simply 3 monsters period it's that they picked up 3 jobs to hunt 3 specific monsters and we were on the last one, which again I had already name and described and my partner has changed it. So I'm asking if I should ignore it so they can have their first idea or correct it.

So to explain my point.

Let’s say you said the two of them are out catching a black cat called Mittens. He says your catching a white cat called Mittens.

Can he not just edit his post so the white cat is called Snowflake instead?

And if the two of you are only supposed to be catching Mittens is it outside the realm of reality for Snowflake to be caught as well?

So to explain my point.

Let’s say you said the two of them are out catching a black cat called Mittens. He says your catching a white cat called Mittens.

Can he not just edit his post so the white cat is called Snowflake instead?

And if the two of you are only supposed to be catching Mittens is it outside the realm of reality for Snowflake to be caught as well?
Okay so let me explain my point.

Let's say we picked up a poster and accepted a job to find a black cat called Mittens. Then just as we are going to look for Mittens my partner says we are now looking for a white dog named Snowflake, not that we are looking for the black cat names Mittens that was already established before but now a white dog named Snowflake that was never discussed and seems to have replaced Mittens. Mittens and Snowflake look nothing like and have different names and at no point did we pick up a poster for the white dog named Snowflake so how are they even supposed to know to find Snowflake?

Oh, oh, perhaps you could aknowledge the existence of the monster they created during the correction? Something like.

“Those suckers are pretty dangerous too, but our aim this time is...”

So I'm doing a 1x1 with someone, we are building a world together and so far I've been the one coming up with all the ideas. I have no issue with this I'm willing to do so for as long as it takes for my partner to come up with their own ideas and it's not like I want to control the RP I want them to have their ideas put in as well, I just don't want them to feel pressured to come up with them very fast.

Which is what brings me to my current dilemma. So far I've been the one to come up with all the ideas and to be fair we are fairly early into the RP. However, my partner recently came up with their first idea pertaining to the world and not just their character they created a creature. However, here is the problem. Our characters are hunting monsters and beforehand I had already named the 3 monsters and described them, now we are on the last monster and my partner has misnamed the last monster and changed it completely from what it was, the names are similar but the creatures are nowhere near alike. The original was moreso a giant scorpion/spider/shark-like creature and the one they came up with is like a fairy-harpy/phantom mix.

It's not that I don't like the idea and I'd have been completely fine with it had I not already named and described the creature in the RP, but I did, which leads me to believe that they may have forgotten that I did so, but at the same time this is the first idea they've put in so I don't necessarily want to take it from them and make them feel like they can't have ideas too. So I was wondering if in my next reply should I have my character correct them and tell them they misheard and remind them of what the original creature was or should I let it go in favor of them having their first idea in the RP?
I'd say take the approach of you need to keep up consistency. If they want to make up another monster of their own making that could be managed. However, that is your creation and she should honor it. Sometimes this is just an honest mistake. Perhaps approach it as a mistake. An innocent one. Start with something positive and then suggest that she made a mistake and then actively acknowledge her error. Compare notes. Just make it seem like an easy and approachable topic and things will sort out. =)

I dunno. It really depends on the partner frankly tho. They may take it offensively and they may not. One of my partners always talks to me in our ooc if i missed something or misread and im thankful to her for it.
I dont like changing the story when it was already set so i dont mind rewriting the story to fit back in the linear plane.

I, myself, would tell them either way. It may make them mad or frustrated...but hopefully the outcome would be they would be more attentive. Maybe they were like me and misread or mistook or something or what not. Haha.

I like to be corrected but they may not. Tread carefully.

I'm not sure if you're still looking for input on this, but I thought I'd put in my two cents. As someone who has often read and forgotten even my own descriptions or names, I would suspect this person probably did not maliciously forget what you wrote about this monster. It was probably an honest mistake. In those cases, when I have noticed something like that happen, if it isn't going to affect the plot, it may not be worth correcting them.

For instance, if I described my main character as having blue eyes and brown hair and later they were described by my partner as having green eyes and red hair, that might be something to point out, as it's important to know what my character looks like. But if the look/name of the monster doesn't really impact the plot, it may just not be important enough to correct.

YMMV on this. If this is a habit of this writer (as in, they often write wrong descriptions for things you've talked about before), it could be they aren't paying attention to you/aren't doing their due diligence to check back before they write their post. In which case, they should absolutely be corrected.

Good luck and I hope it all works out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back