• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Multiple Settings Shattered Fates - A RPG-Lite Text-based Interactive Adventure

Euclid Leaf

Metamorphasis, Genesis, Metastasis
Supporter
roman-avseenko-tree-2.jpg

artwork by: Roman Avseenko

- Shattered Fates -

[All you can remember is darkness.
Making it ever stranger to be stroked by the warming grace of light.

Your eyes glide open, after what feels like a long, groggy slumber. Your body feels stiff, yet simultaneously airy as though caught under a constant breeze. Despite an instinct to move, you cannot fight past the numbness coursing through your form.]

- You are stuck still.

[You are simply left with what you see above, and in the slight peripheral of your vision. You are able to recognize the objects, at least. However, this does not help you figure out where you are. You find yourself lying in an open grassy field under a grand nightly sky. Though no light came directly from the hollow space aloft. For some reason, in your head so full of empty memories, you recall that perhaps something is missing from the blank horizon. More accurately, it is nothing more than a haunting suspicion. The screen of darkness served only a somber backdrop to the slight illumination revealing the outline of a mountaintop.

Did mountains always grow downwards from the sky, you wonder?
But any sort of conclusion escapes you. Instead, the only lights come from the faintly silver-toned leaves fluttering softly in the encircling secluded forest of mystery.

The stiffness gradually fades, and you begin to feel faint sensations return to your body.]

-You start to get up.

[As you rise, you notice your hands glows in swirling wisps of colored light. Following it up your arms and to the greater mass beneath, you realize this strange energy composes your entire body. There is no physical boundary, yet you possess a somewhat defined shape. You feel strange about this, even if you cannot remember why.

You eventually rise to a wobbly stand upon your two vapor-like feet, finally getting a better view of the glimmering forest surrounding you.

Only the trees possess the silver, light-touchrd leaves. The rest of the enchanted forest beyond the few meters in front of you is swallowed by heavy shadows.

Suddenly, a rustle comes from the overgrown verdure nearby. You pick up a whispered groan, followed by a sentence.
It is a brisk voice, reminiscent to a chirping bird.]

"Oh… where is it…? I swear I saw it land somewhere around here…"

[You can hear a second voice reply, this one a growling, bass tone.]

"Hurry up. It’s cold. My fringes are freezing. Is this how you treat royalty?"
"A royal pain, more like..."
"Excuse me?"
"You have eyes too, you know…"
"Yes, only one. You have twice as many, what is your excuse?"
"I have a big dumb, talking hat in the way."
"Well, this 'big dumb hat' is keeping watch. That thing is still out there, you know."

[The two voices bicker in the darkness, growing closer with each frustrated phrase.
A faint beam of orange light glows in the distant underbrush.]

"If you're so scared, how about helping? The faster we find it, the sooner we both get out of here."
"How presumptuous, servant. I am shielding your head from the cold with my own body. I will probably also be the first, and priority, target should conflict arise. And this is how you treat my noble sacrifice?"
"Hmph. Well, if you’re going to do nothing. At least do so silently."
"Fine. I won't tell you that we've been found."

"Good. Wait, wha--"

[A deafening howl rings in the air, sending the faintly glimmering leaves spiraling in a sudden frenzy around you.
A sudden bitter chill crawls down your body.]

- You are afflicted by <Dread>. You begin to shiver.

[From the shadows, as far as you can see, a seeping mist pours from the edge of the forest clearing. The orange light begins to flicker, as though whoever possesses it is in a panic. The rustled leaves and sounds of scurrying footsteps grow louder with each second. The bloom is almost blinding now. The two voices must be headed in your direction.]

>>You feel now is the time to act. Will you attempt to avoid the pair of strangers, or will you make yourself known? Could they be any worse than the howling, lurking monster? Or do you choose to do something else entirely?

Whatever you choose. This is the path you must accept. After all, this your story.

Afterword;
Hello, this is a remake of a very old idea of mine.
I have been experimenting a lot with many different systems and methods to try and keep text roleplays fresh and interesting. I hope this time, I can fully realize my dream of a long-running text-based dark fantasy adventure. Though there will a mash of many genres, including sci-fi.

Before anyone asks, there will be no character sheet to start.

You can just jump right in and begin playing, as soon as you gain access to the server and provided a context prompt. (Though, for this first portion, we will wait for a party to assemble before I allow actions.) Yes, we will be skipping the front-loaded character creation that most roleplays feature. Instead, you will starting with a 'empty' sheet, and building the character bio as you progress with each interaction. No over-bloated backgrounds that get contradicted immediately on the first post. No irrelevant details. What will define you are the actions you make. With a good emphasis on exploration and discovery. As a party, and as individual characters, you will only know what you uncover. I will only answer questions that are meta-related. Otherwise, asking a question your pc doesn't know must be done in-chararacter.

In short, in this roleplay you will be earning a name, and by proxy a sheet. (Don't worry, you are free to choose your appearance at that point.)

True to the RPG tag, this roleplay with function both as a game, as well as an interactive roleplaying story. Though only lightly. I have chosen to do away with traditional stats or random dice rolling in favor of focusing on supplementary items and boons. For the most part, everyone will be 'average' and it is this extra stuff that differentiates characters. I don't want to spoil too much, but in this world, there will be many odd and weird items with various otherworldly effects and powers, often with their own odd quirks and personalities, for you to acquire. Which will also grow as the character develops.

Similar to a game, we will be keeping track of ability effects, spells, de-buffs, etc. As well as an inventory system.
For the most part, I will try and keep these elements as least cumbersome as possible. They will serve more as prompts for diversifying writing.

Since the roleplay has many game-like elements, I want to emphasis the importance of interacting. Not with just the many NPCs I have in store, but with each other. The fun of a group roleplay is trying to work towards a goal together. Despite me being the GM, I hope everyone involved will feel just as involved with directing the narrative. I am open to suggestions, and if ever gets to that point, someone can lead a whole scenario themselves.

To play, each post will require a bolded interaction, which will inform me of your intentions so that I can provide an outcome or result. Do not do more than one interaction at a time, otherwise I will dismiss all those beyond the first. Dialogue will not count to this limit. We still value writing quality around here, so feel free to add fluff and internal thoughts. But remember this is a group narrative, remember to prioritize including things for others to latch onto. Show the characters how you feel, don't simply tell us writers.

This is to keep posts brief, and action flowing consistently.
I will be upfront. I work a full-time job, and deal with many real life responsibilities, yet I still manage to find time to post in a consistent manner. If a player is taking too long, I will ask for an earliest ETA. If they cannot meet their own set timeframe, this is a clear sign of improper time management. Thus, I will do the responsible thing and boot them, so they have one less troublesome thing to manage. I will grant this pardon only once. No exceptions.

This roleplay will also feature an experimental HUB-like system where players will be free to interact in-character. These zones are where some slight sand-box style gameplay comes in, as the only real boundaries are set by the characters location and those within it. Main events and scenes will still occur here on the site, as per usual, however dialogue and other smaller interactions will be done in bite sized replies on Discord. Especially when it comes to the more idle portions, specifically at the HUB zone, where you will be interacting most with the NPCs, allocating time to tasks, recreational activities, or changing load-outs. This will be also an opportunity to change party members before a scenario. Having it like this will make it easier for me to keep an activity log, while making it more dynamic and fun.

Anyway, I think I covered most of it. I hope to see you in the lands of ...

Last edited:
This is interesting. Can i?(it's my first time commenting here on this website so my apologies if there is an error)
It depends, haha!

You are in the right place at least. Threads in this section are mainly for recruiting. Usually, it takes a few days to see if enough interest accrues before making any decisions. So feel free to look around too!

Doing some final prep. Will send out invites to the server once everything is ready!

Thanks, for the interest. :^ D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back