Chitchat Share Your Lovelies

Error 420

One Thousand Club
Hey lovelies, it's time for sharing.

This thread is specifically for the sharing of wonderful lovely things that you love. Share what your loveliest lovelies are, something you think is just absolutely fantastic. Say something to sate somebody's curiosity, tell us what your world is like, give us your hot hairstyle tricks, however the spirit strikes you. This isn't for venting, just telling things that you find wonderful or you think other people will find wonderful. Chill-ly casually chat about what you think about this thing, be it niche or everyday or whatever. For example, I really like Times New Roman Font, and I could totally go on about it for a really long time, so that's what you do. It doesn't have to be a popular opinion, it shouldn't be factually verifiable, it can be songs, poems, books, movies, concepts, places, people. just something you're earnestly a fan of.

The Rules:
Keep it cool
No bummers
Site rules

What Should be in a Post:
Your Lovely. If your explanation is longer than a few lines, put it in a spoiler. Put your responses to other people's Lovelies if you have them in their own spoiler, tagging them inside that spoiler and putting the title as their username. This is not for disagreeing with Lovelies, nor responses that just boil down to "yes that is good". Give your own opinions and information, ask questions.

My maiden voyage lovely is Preparedness.
It's a really nebulous concept and a really bad example for lovelies to follow, but there's something that appeals to my inner Boy Scout to just be ready for stuff. I've recently entered the workforce and started preparing for life beyond mom's house, so a very large amount of money has gone into going onto amazon and just buying kits of stuff. A shaving kit, a hair kit, a 1000 piece first aid kit, a 500 piece tool kit, a camping kit, a fire kit, just kits upon kits. My foremost occupation as musician and music teacher requires pining over a lot of equipment, and there's something so fulfilling about having spare MIDI cables and a complete guitar maintenance kit.

I've always had sort of a romantic attachment to the Spartan lifestyle, having only what you need, exactly what you need, not needing to rely on others. Since buying a proper tool kit I've found just thousands of tiny ways my life has been made easier by being able to do little repairs and upkeep by myself, instead of hiring others. It gives you more of a connection directly to the things you own when you know how to use it, and using it makes your life easier. I shit you not, I spent nearly a hundred dollars on shoe cleaning supplies alone. That's two week's pay for me that I could have saved for something practical, but it's the nicest thing in the world to have your shoes always be shiny and to know that you're the one who made it that way. It's just a more satisfying way of life to have the tools you need to fix problems. Before now, if my nice shoes got scuffed, I'd have to go to the store, get some leather soap and some polish, and figure out how to make it work. Now I'm actively looking for opportunities to crack out the kit.

Finally, the best part about my kit frenzy is how compact it all is. I have, within a single trunk, everything a human needs to comfortably survive for a year. First aid, water treatment, camping gear, all the silly multitools you see at the Home Depot that grandpas are obsessed with. One bag for my clothes and the trunk and I could go anywhere. I feel like staying in the woods for a weekend? Take the outdoor bag. Got a flight to catch? Take the travel bag. House is on fire and all the things you need to survive are burning down? I just chuck the trunk out the window, and I'm fine. The only things that won't fit are my instruments, which all have their own cases with their own pockets and kits. If I suddenly became good at music, all I'd need for a gig is the instrument case. Anything else is in the case. If you've got like a thousand dollars lying around, it would be a far better treat to buy literally everything you need in life in a box than a trip to Disney.

My lovelies are my chickens. My lovelies are my friends. Another lovely is RpNation - one I'm honoured to help take care of. My lovelies are my TV shows - I discovered my unbridled love for them last year. My lovelies are, and have always been, my family.

My lovely is my life. I came very close to losing it last year, and now I value it more than ever.

My lovely is my favourite museum anywhere in the world. I've been to museums all over the United States, Ireland, and Canada, but hands down the best museum experience I have ever had is at the Five Points Firehouse Museum in my hometown of Lafayette, Indiana. It's one of many historical buildings in the area, being built 95 years ago, and operating as recently as the 1990's. It's right outside of downtown at the historic Five Points intersection (stunning, I know), but it's an incredible place. Not only is it a phenomenally beautiful building both inside and out, but it's an incredible recreation of what the station was like in the 1930's. It houses thousands of scrapbooks, newspapers, and memorabilia from nearly a century of the Star City.

My hometown has a serious problem with losing history. Lafayette, Indiana, (then called Wabash or Wea) was one of the first towns in the Indiana Territory, having roots back to Fort Ouiatenon, built by French traders on the Wabash river in the 1700's. Growing from the 1810's to the 1890's as a simple farming town, it quickly became a close-knit but bustling community, planned to eventually be the ultimate industrial town of the Midwest. Obviously, that went to Chicago instead, but Lafayette continued to grow and change in incredible, phenomenal ways, including the creation of Purdue University.

To make a long story short, Lafayette has a phenomenal story behind every building, but it gets forgotten and ignored. Most people don't even know there's a flag, or another city directly across the river. I'm something of a town historian, with a great love for this city, and the firehouse museum is a small, flickering flame of the heart of this city. As the area urbanizes under the current plans of West Lafayette and Lafayette, a lot of those memories are going to be further and further gone. Five Points was paved in 1910. Now the firehouse is the only original building still standing there, and hopefully it will stand for several more years, even if it's often visitorless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back