• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy SHARD - Broken World (post apoc fantasy!)

Beckoncall

World-Weaver and servant to the most-holy PC
Supporter
The world as it was previously known shattered centuries ago. The planet now consists of islands of various sizes floating in the void, connected only by a fickle and dangerous magical network known as "the ways" -- On each island isolated city-states, risen up or preserved from destruction in the cataclysm are all that remain. This story begins on one such world shard -- the fortified city-state aptly named "Bastion."

Bastion is an isolated fortress city floating in the ether -- surrounded by ruins running trackless to the south, and sporting generous plots of arable land to it's north. The city of Bastion is separated into several tiers: from the outermost districts in the shadow of the city's massive outer wall where the poor, the common, and the criminal carve out a way of life, to the middle tiered gardens and shops districts of the craftsmen, to the upper park tiers of the rich and palatial spires of the richest in the city.

It is a time of opportunity and adventure -- brave heroes are called upon to pacify the wonton gangs of the outer districts, to face the wild animals and rampaging monsters of the ruins to give the cramped city of bastion more land to expand into, and the bravest are dared to enter to ways and seek paths of trade and communication with other floating islands in the ether.

Will you heed the call?

After my previous (wildly successful) RP "Lost Continent" came to a more or less conclusion, I'm looking to kick off another adventure -- hopefully both in the fantasy forum proper play-by-post with elements (if desired) of real time adventuring in discord. Characters individually or in groups will go on quests in the ways, the ruins, and in the city of Bastion itself to seek their fortune and pursue the many intrigues waiting to be found.

If this concept interests you, post in the thread:

1) The type of character you'd like to play: I'm pretty open about races and classes, subject to negotiation. :D
2) What interests you most about the setting
3) What if anything in particular you hope you get from the RP (politics, loot, bloody combat, trading, mystery)

there may be a more formal application if this initial interest check is successful.

Here's a link to my previous RP in case you're wondering what kind of game I'm capable of running and my writing style:
Nation Building - BeckonCall's Fantasy Nation-building RPG thread

Last edited:
This sounds very interesting. Before I answer those 3 requirements, I have a brief question.

Since this still implements a fantasy aspect, is it safe to assume there are different classes such as: mage, warrior, assassin, archer, elf, dwarf, etc?

Hmm, in that case:

1) Let's see... I've been wanting to play a human character with relatively high stats in magic but have little to no motivation to do anything at all -which would make their gifts seem pointless- and a potential sibling who would be the exact opposite and drag the other along into everything. Very motivated, curious, and energetic but lacking in abilities such as magic.

2) What appeals to me here is the adventure aspect to the RP. The ruins and uncharted land serve as a sense of mystery but also seem exciting in terms of what could be found. I also imagine that each floating island/city possibly has different customs and cultures, which would make exploration much more interesting and diverse.

3) As for what I hope to get out of this: honestly some more technical writing skills but mainly the mystery/adventuring as well as making relationships with fellow adventures (friends, enemies, love interests, etc.)

[I only mention magic since you mentioned "the ways" are magical networks]

Yo, Beckoncall Beckoncall this seems so cool.

1) I would probably play a character that is a rogue, maybe like an elf. They would come from a very low-class family and stealing would be their only way to get money.

2) The whole idea of a post-apocalyptic world that has islands floating in a void tied to together by magic seems very interesting to me.

3) I would hope that there would be a lot of exploration and things like that. But what I really hope to get out of this is a very fun and engaging rp.

I'd like to show my interest through this post, but given that I've just arrived at my job, I don't have the time to answer your 3 questions right now.

I'll do so at a later moment today. This seems very much like a work of passion, which I'd love to be part of.

1) I would probably be most interested in playing as an elf or human with minor to moderate magical abilities. She would enjoy stealing from the unsuspecting as well as going on potentially dangerous (but interesting) quests for loot.

2) I love the post apocalyptic theme, especially combined with fantasy and adventure.

3) I would love to see a bit of loot, mystery, combat and adventure.

1: I would be like a wolf but wears a mask to hide the marks on its face and wings that cannot lift him off the ground, but glide safely down to the ground when needed. I would also be like an assassin, with my high level of sneak and movement.
2: the idea of Adventure and fantasy has made me interested into it.
3: I would like to see Mystery and Adventure.

1) I would basically have the most fearsome warrior/pirate/battlemage in the known world. All would have heard of some tale of his.
This man would be the dumbest, simplest friendliest drunk/junkie you have ever seen. All his accomplishments are exaggerated beyond reason.

Example. The man knocks out a single guard with a lucky throw of a rock, the man steals the guards arrows.
A week later word has spread about a man who took out a entire squad of patrolling guards, “he threw a rock that went through three men’s skulls!!”

2) what I read sounded like it had good potential.

3) I’d like to see mystery, adventure, and have the chance to be a gag character

1) I'd prefer a female, human berserker with a very optimistic and affectionate personality. Giving contrast to her highly aggressive fighting style. Potentially a partner as well, in the form of a male, humanoid bear warrior that feels misunderstood because his appearance and personality make him seem too upright and/or intimidating.

2.) First of; this seemed like a well thought-out work of passion. furthermore I just love the fantasy theme made unique with such an interesting world to explore.

3.) Meaningful combat, exploration and character development.

Edit: I know that humanoid animals can sometimes get a bad reputation, so while I would prefer him being a bear, I'm more than willing to compromise and make him a big, gruff man instead.

Last edited:
1) A few ideas! Would be willing to do any of these if any one particularly fits what you're looking for.

a. A recently civilized orc chieftain turned into an anti-magic templar/knight due to a natural resistance to magic or naturally gifted in defensive magic that he was born with. He would be a archetypal tank with heavy armor, but he completely sacrifices any mobility and dexterity to hit anything for more armor since armor is a status symbol and Grug is the strongest and most powerful orc chieftai...err knight around of course.

b. A merchant/lobbyist character who made a lot of money for and with many merchants, aristocrats, and guild masters. He probably won't be too good in a fight, but he probably knows a few people who run a certain mercenary company that clears dungeons and other dangerous areas. Need to find out why the price of grain is suddenly sky rocketing? He probably knows a person. Need to start a fundraiser? Man, he would dominate in the Apprentice.

c. A good old farm boy who was fortunate that his parents saved enough money for him to attend an engineering school. Recently graduated and is now a part of the group in charge of building and maintaining the Bastion.

d. A foreigner who had appeared from the "ways" a long while ago while fleeing something horrible. Has been a bit of a "end of the world" preacher, warning people of the dangers of the ether and started a small organization that is totally not a cult. I was thinking of a race that is very angelic with wings, but while fleeing from said horror, he was maimed and lost most of a wing, rendering him unable to fly anymore.

e. A magical bard of some sorts who isn't exactly just a support role/class. Rather, he's near deaf as he is able to amplify sound waves to use as a weapon, rupture ear drums, and etc (wind magic?). Maybe able to communicate with music with animals/non-sapient life?

2)

a. Its run by you.

b. What else are you hiding in the lore/world. Those ruins clearly aren't just normal ruins. Fertile plains? There's an entrance to the underworld somewhere there isn't there

3) Is it too greedy to want all of those?

Last edited:
Hiya! I'd like to express my interest!

1) So I've been craving on playing a full mage character, most likely a human. He'll be focused on support as I'm planning to make him a Cleric-type character who is a priest of a deity of life. He'll mostly just have healing and light magic aside from intermediate scholarly abilities regarding magic and basic alchemy (since he is a healer). Aside from being a healer, I can see him sticking with adventurers because he has a thirst for knowledge.

2) I'm just a sucker for fantasy and adventure. And the post apocalyptic setting made it all the more interesting for me.

3) Dungeon crawling, of course. Possibly life and death situations. Mystery. It being a lot of fun with what I can see as a diverse cast. Character interactions. Adventure. Exploration.

1) The type of character you'd like to play: I am thinking an incredibly old wizard who requires his magic for most daily tasks but also uses it to teach young wippersnappers how to behave!
2) What interests you most about the setting: I have tried to do RPs with Islands floating over a void so to see this work would please me greatly... Mine were usually more steampunk but I like this too!
3) What if anything in particular you hope you get from the RP (politics, loot, bloody combat, trading, mystery) I LOVE POLITICS AND INTERPLAYER AGREEMENTS AND DISAGREEMENTS. I also enjoy exploring your worlds and risking it all to be a badass in the battlefield as you well know, I am willing to risk a crushing defeat to get a heroic victory rather then just surviving the battle

1) A farmer making a living north of Bastion growing mana restorative crops for the market, the patriarch of the Duqor Clan (him and his three adopted sons) is known for having once been the richest man of the outer districts before the disappearance of his wife and the subsequent fruitless decade long search by hired mercenaries that immediately followed.
2) The options available to the roleplayers.
3) I'm fine with everything, really. There's little in terms of decent plot I'd turn down.

1) The type of character you'd like to play: I'm pretty open about races and classes, subject to negotiation.
I think it'd be fun to play some sort of antagonistic character who is eventually redeemed by the power of friendship or something. I had a demon general who only took orders from those who could defeat her - you think I might be able to rework her into some sort of orc-like warlord or barbarian in your setting?

2) What interests you most about the setting
I'm a sucker for the floating island aesthetic, and also, Kami-Kahzy has always spoken highly of you. I'd certainly like to give one of your RPs a shot, and this one seems fairly easy to get into, setting-wise.

3) What if anything in particular you hope you get from the RP (politics, loot, bloody combat, trading, mystery)
More OOC friends, a bit of comic relief, and kickass fight scenes.

This is a suitable response. I'll be tapping people when the official thread is up (soon!)

THE ADVENTURE BEGINS!

Those interested may introduce their characters in the In-game thread here:

SHARD -- Broken World

You may wish to head off on one of the standing "quests" right away, or chat with the innkeeper to get more information about the city and the perils ahead. Feel free to PM me with questions! (especially if your character doesn't fit in with the tavern intro, like welian welian )

Elm Elm Self_Plagiarism Self_Plagiarism Reticent Reticent Keybored Keybored NeonFlow NeonFlow AI10100 AI10100 Heyitsjiwon Heyitsjiwon General Deth Glitch General Deth Glitch Pat Pat

Shard character sheets: Fantasy - SHARD -- Character sheets

Last edited:
Ah, sorry I haven't gotten anything up yet. School has been trying to kill me. In any case, the discord invite has expired and I wondered if I can get another code?

Beckoncall Beckoncall

-quietly lurks from the shadows-

Long time no see buddy. Heard from welian welian about your little project here, figured I'd come and give it a look. Seems like a lot of fun! I might be willing to join once I get an idea for how you plan on structuring the quests and such, but I'm currently on patrol so my time is rather limited at the moment.

Definitely gonna be keeping an eye on this though! Best of luck my friend!

Who? Never watched the Goonies tbh. I based Grug off a youtube skit and a DnD character in a hybrid monstrosity. Seems to work out pretty well!

Video:

49646-1532336916.jpg

This loveable ogre is Sloth. And you really should watch the Goonies sometime, it's the perfect 90's kid's adventure movie. There's murderous gangsters and bullies and pirate treasure and a the kid who played Short Round in Indiana Jones 2 is in there as the token Asian kid.

Good times all around.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back