Shadows Over Hollow Shades

Dreamweaver

One Thousand Club
Assailant Assailant Cyan Hide Cyan Hide Dumbledoof Dumbledoof GeneralTyrus GeneralTyrus

• In this adventure, the following rules will be active.

Minimum Level - The minimum level for this adventure is 14. Higher level characters will not be awarded levels as much as lower levels, but will share in loot. If you wish to raise a character up to level 14 to participate in the adventure, do so.

Number of Characters - One character per player for sake of ease.

Character Deaths - Hopefully not :)

The Adventurers Guild was absolutely brimming with new sacrifices talent, all of whom were here to look at the newest posting on the Adventure Board. While it was normal for there to be new postings every day, ranging from one or two, to a few dozen on busy days, this posting was a lot different from the other ones.

This posting was front and center on the board, and was highlighted as one of extreme importance; posted there by Princess Luna herself.

The parchment note read;

Dear whoever is crazy enough to actually consider this,

Recently Hollow Shades, the home of the majority of the Bat Pony race, was destroyed by a savage black dragon. I call on the most powerful among you to hunt this creature down. Any treasures you might find in the dragon's lairs are yours to take; the Crown and the Adventurer's Guild will lay claim to none of it.

Those among you who will take on this task are to form yourselves a group, and report to me in Night Court as soon as possible so that I might fill you in on more information.

Sincerely, Luna Nightsong

At the moment there was a bat pony looking at the parchment, obviously intent on taking the job given the way she was nodding her head. She had a dark purple mane and a dark gray body, and seemed quite interested in making the dragon pay for destroying her hometown.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver
It should really come as no surprise to anybody that Expellix knew about the bounty posted by Luna. In light of that, it also shouldn't be a surprise that he would be volunteering for the mission as well. Might as well do something useful, and when it was something Luna put up herself, he was game. It sure beat screwing around in the Lunar Guard headquarters all day again.

He just so happened to be nearby when another pony had taken the flyer from the Adventure Board. Seeing the notice on it, he knew which one it was. Bored, he decided to go talk to them. They were a bat pony, she might even be going along on this mission. Just round up all the crazy ponies (and rabbit) for it!

The little rabbit creeped over soundlessly, stopping next to Aurelia and crouching. "Decided on going to fight the dragon too?" He asked.

Leper would be arriving at the same time as Expellix, and would notice him, nodding her head to him to be polite.. She'd look to the board, before noticing the bat pony next to it.. She'd wasn't really bothered by the bat pony, she was actually kind of curious why she'd be so interested.

Then she read the post, finding out why, butting into the conversation, "I too will fight the Dragon." She'd say, nodding at the two of them, before looking at the Bat Pony, "I've never seen of your find before, I don't see why I should be scared." She'd say, joking a bit, but also serious.

Of course, she'd look at the flier, reading for where they need to report too, before realising it would be to meet Luna. While she may have held a grudge for the war, she new to put her beefs behind her, and not let herself be bothered by their presence.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Dumbledoof Dumbledoof GeneralTyrus GeneralTyrus

Of course, Twilight Sparkle knew about Luna's plan to recruit the Adventurer's Guild's strongest to fight the dragon that had laid waste to Hollow Shades. Starlight had been sent by the map several times to help with a friendship problem at Hollow Shades, but now she had graduated from Twilight's lessons, and was not an Element of Harmony, so had little business serving the higher powers of Harmony, unless she was called. Recently, she had been serving the Princesses directly, Twilight...technically included, as weird as they both found it to even attempt a ruler/subject relationship.

That's why Starlight thought it in everyone's best interest if she joined the adventurers who were to take on the Dragon, even if she wasn't officially part of the Adventurer's Guild. Arriving at the building, she approached the gathering group, and smiled. She recognised Expellix from the battle, and Aurelia was a high-ranking member of the Lunar Guard that Starlight knew by reputation. The Earth Pony was a total stranger to her, however.

"Hi, Everypony. I'll be joining you for this mission. I'm Starlight Glimmer."

Avedon came in at Luna's request to help observe some of the Adventurer's Guild recruits...besides, this was a personal matter in a way. Avedon may have been a bat pony, but he had little connection to Hollow Shades, having never lived there or kn own much of that part of his heritage as an adolescent. He had little connection to the place...but he'd be damned if some overgrown reptile made a fool of bat-ponies and wantonly prowled around Equestria.

"Oh yes Starlight Glimmer...I heard of you, the communist...Well Comrade Glimmer, I hope you realize the proper etiquette of adventuring doesn't have us all give away all the treasure we find to you to distribute. Also I know it may be a bit odd a concept for you, but we have these things called food we bring along with us. I hope you are stocked because dragon's do tend to roost out in inhospitable areas.

Avedon Avedon Cyan Hide Cyan Hide GeneralTyrus GeneralTyrus Dumbledoof Dumbledoof
The bat pony looked like she was about to respond, before promptly disappearing in a flash of magic. Instead, in the spot where the bat pony had been before, stood... Trixie! "The Great and Powerful Trixie will see to it that this dragon pays for his crimes!" She exclaimed loudly, before noticing that she knew literally everyone here except for the earth pony.

"Oh, hey Star, dear. Hey Ave. Hey Expellix." She waved her stump of a leg at them and grinned. "Soooo... we are going to fight a dragon? Sweet. We should be on our way then, before it gets too dark to travel. Not that it matters for the Batfreak here, but for the rest of us..."

She motioned to the door, where they could go. Time to visit Princess Luna!

Leper looked at everyone, and had actually wanted to talk to the Batpony, only for some... cripple to appear. She couldn't really see her being much help in a fight. Maybe she had strong magic? That would be good at least. She'd look at Trixie, before looking to the others, notably, Starlight.

"Ah yes, I heard you had some very interesting ideas one the way settlements should be run. I must say, I thought some of the things you did were good, if a tad... Strange." She'd say, nodding, before looking at Avedon, raising a brow.

Soon enough though, they'd be leaving, so she made sure that she had all her things, and was ready to go! This would hopefully be interesting, and worth her time. She could have been doing important things... Like feeding birds... Or adding stitches to her mask's cloth.

Expellix turned around at the voice of Leper, and well, Starlight as well. He didn't know whether to be surprised at their appearances or just accept it. And also Trixie. It seemed all the cripples were collecting for the mission to die. At least he had a front row seat. (Sorry, Trixie, he still likes you though!)

"So, how's the face and mask, Leper?" Expellix decided to ask, steering away from the rest of the conversation that was. Zero fucks given about settlements being ran certain ways. But speaking of injuries, he also turned to Trixie. "Also, I see you're walking around so I guess your leg is all healed up."

They were on their way and he didn't really have anything to bring except that infinite water bottle. 'Twas handy on occasion.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver
Avedon seems only mildly phased by the sudden appearance of the bizarre sorceress at this point
"Oh hey Trixie....Did you just like explode out of a bat or something? I'm surprised there aren't more bats here to try and stop this dragon but now this might explain why...You'll have to fill me in on some of the people here."
The bat pony said with a side-long look to Leper, raising an opposite brow in turn towards her

Avedon Avedon Dreamweaver Dreamweaver GeneralTyrus GeneralTyrus Dumbledoof Dumbledoof

Starlight chuckled nervously and kicked her hoof as she looked away from Avedon. "Hahaha...can we...can we not? Can we not bring that up?"

It was then that the bat pony transformed into Trixie. Starlight stood with her mouth agape for a while, before breaking into laughter, running over and hugging Trixie. "How....what are you doing here? Trixie! Hi! Right, let's go." She gradually wound down as she grew calmer and quieter, finally clearing her throat and gesturing to Trixie to take the lead.

On the way, the Earth pony that she didn't know started to talk to her, and surprised Starlight with her words. "I....didn't do very much good back then, but....thank you! We should talk about it in more detail later."

Avedon Avedon Cyan Hide Cyan Hide GeneralTyrus GeneralTyrus Dumbledoof Dumbledoof
Trixie quickly hugged Starlight back and chuckled a bit. "I am here to fight the dragon, silly. That bat pony was stealing my spot in the group, so I kicked her out and invited myself. Now she's on the other side of Canterlot, probably very confused!" Trixie exclaimed proudly with a grin. She let her magic run loose and envelop her leg, giving herself a prosthetic from the knee down which functioned much like a fully working leg! Just instead of being made of flesh, it was made of hard blue magic.

As they all walked, she turned to look at Avedon and quickly motioned to Starlight Glimmer. "That's Starlight, my marefriend." She said, as if Avedon wouldn't know who that was. She then pointed at the rabbit. "That's Expellix, the piece of shit friend who never came to visit me in the hospital and who might accidentally die on this trip." She didn't know he was Luna's apprentice of course, so she couldn't introduce him as such! Avedon would know the rabbit was Luna's apprentice, though.

Then she looked at Leper. "And that's a freaky mare with a mask! I don't know her name or skills. Hi, I'm Trixie the Nec- I mean, Arcanist. Nice to meet you." She said whole holding out her magically created leg.
---------------------
Soon enough, the group arrived at the Night Court. Night Court was not often very busy at this time, nearing 11PM now, but the line up was through the door and down the street. It was almost completely made up of bat ponies, many of whom were chanting angrily and accusing Luna of doing nothing to stop the dragon.

Normally they would have to wait in line, but seeing as how Avedon was the Captain of the Night Guard, they got a pass. Much to the annoyance of every pony in line.

It wasn't long before they were standing in front of Princess Luna herself, though for Avedon and Expellix that would basically be just a normal afternoon. Trixie looked like she didn't know whether to bow or salute, so she did an awkward bow-salute and ended up falling over.

It looked like Luna was quite worn down from what was going on, slightly slumped in her throne and looking all around unpleasant. Not sad or anything, just angry. She couldn't help but chuckle when Trixie fell over, and shook her head. "... No bowing, please. I would assume you are here to go dragon hunting, and not simply to say hello?" Luna asked with an arched eyebrow, mostly addressing Avedon as she knew him the best and trying to talk to 4 ponies at once could get awkward.

Leper had been ignoring Trixie's speech, just watching the road. Then she heard the words, 'Freak in a mask' and her head snapped up, looking over at Trixie, glaring at her, though it was more a piercing stare that it always was. She'd shake her head, looking back to the road, "A pleasure." She'd say, not looking at Trixie, "My name is Leper." She'd say simple, trotting along side Expellix.

-

Once they'd made it to the castle, she'd be a bit shocked, seeing how many bat ponies there was. Honestly, she adored that Bat Ponies, finding their history to be amazing, and wanted to speak with them, though she knew they'd likely just judge her, so she kept her teeth grit together as they walked.

Once inside, she'd bow her head to Luna, not feeling like bending a knee at the moment, but a nod was still respectful. She'd look to the Bat Ponies outside before the door was closed, then looked back up at Luna, not saying anything.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver GeneralTyrus GeneralTyrus
"It is at the very least, a very FINE looking mask!" He turns and nods to Leper in acknowledgement "Avedon. Lord Commander of the Night Guard. It is always appreciable to have another brave warrior to come on such arduous tasks and I commend you for volunteering..."

---

Avedon would speak rather dryly, and perhaps a bit more loudly than necessary. Avedon had never been one to have a great deal of respect for the common-pony, not because oh any inherent bias towards nobility, infact he found them to be even worse on most occasions...but because of this exact scenario. He could accept that not all had the luxury or the will to become strong. What he could not excuse though, was that those very same creatures who had accepted their weakness would turn and snarl and bite at the hoof that watched over them because they knew they could get away with it.

They came here to mob Luna and vent their frustrations and fear and anger on her not because she deserved it, not because this newfound energy actually translated into a drive to become strong and affect the world to take their home back from the dragon: but because they knew Luna as their princess had to sit there and let them. Others might have said they were merely panicked and at a loss of what else to do, he would say stupidity has never been an acceptable excuse for one's actions...at least this was yet another reason to slay the dragon, to remove this nuisance from his leige's mind.

"Ah but we came here to bask in the glory of...what was it again? Friendship and Harmony? That one trite thing ponies love to go on about in times of peace. But I suppose this isn't times of peace. That is why all these fine bat-ponies are here isn't it?"

He casts a slightly venomous look over his shoulder

"Why...with a host of so many of my passionate kin, it's a wonder my kin ever lost Hollow Shades! No matter, I hear them chanting for dragon-blood! This is quite the fine army of volunteers I'm certain! Surely they won't just stand there and watch as only one bat-pony actually sallies out to meet this foe that disgraced their race and home..."

He snapped his attention back to Luna

"Well no matter, I have a fine little party of would-be dragon-killers here as it is....except Trixie. I think she might have actually murdered a dragon before
He scoots just a bit forward and whispers
"...a baby dragon..."

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver GeneralTyrus GeneralTyrus
Expellix's ears twitched slightly in response to Trixie's description of him, his eyes panning up to her. That was certainly a way of introducing him and... not an unsound one, unfortunately. It wasn't even that he did not have the time for it but just that he didn't want to be in the hospital. When you've spent a good amount of time stitching and healing people, you start to really get sick of the blank, boring white canvases that were hospitals. Bleck!

His face quickly turned into a scowl at Trixie in particular, shaking his head and gently patting Leper's leg. "Don't mind her. She's got a bit of a mouth, among other things." The rabbit said briskly. It was easy for him to brush off because it was true but it just wasn't right to say that about Leper.

Walking by the giant line of bat ponies was a bit surreal. Despite being in the Night Guard himself, he didn't really see them that often. Mostly off doing his own stuff! Now they were on Luna's doorstep and saying all manner of nonsense. Did they expect to Luna to predict the dragon attack and come to the rescue in the nick of time like in fairy tales? She was only one mare.

Honestly, watching them speak so ill of Luna made him disgruntled and angry himself. Sure, he didn't know her nearly as well as others, but from what he did know, she didn't deserve it in the least. They were just using the excuse of Night Court as a means to bitch and moan at their princess because it was her duty. Why whine and point fingers when you could get up, grab an axe, a sword, a bow, whatever is at your disposal, and go do the job? There are worse ways to die.

Since Avedon was probably going to be doing the talking, he gave Luna a small wave and hopped over to Trixie, lifting her back up to her hooves telekinetically, with or without her permission. "Careful, Trixie." He warned.

The protests of many bat ponies could be heard getting even louder. They seemed to be yelling at somepony. Soon, right as it reached the nearest, a unicorn stepped in. Bat ponies were yelling at him for simply waltzing past them all, though the unicorn seemed nonchalant, if a bit put off.

"No it's alright she knows me." This only seemed to enrage the bat ponies even more, but he shrugged and moved past them. As he looked at the assembled group, he couldn't help but frown. "Ah, I'm not too late, am I?"

Arc Light pulled a notebook out of his saddle-pack and flipped through some pages. "I was working on a spell, but I think it might have backfired... given that when I woke up five hours had passed." He grinned. "I either successfully jumped through time a bit... or just went unconscious. I choose to believe the former." He put his journal back into his pack and nodded. "Princess."

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Dumbledoof Dumbledoof

Meeting with the Princess still wasn't exactly a regular occurrence for Starlight, but it had happened often enough that it had lost its 'awe' factor. It was just another day at work for the former student of Twilight. It was irritating to heard the rabble of Bat Ponies try to pin so much of the blame on Luna, and Starlight tutted as she went and stood beside Trixie and Expellix.

"Hey, Expellix," Starlight spoke as the rabbit retrieved her boisterous marefriend, whom Starlight placed a caring hoof on the shoulder of. "I heard you call the Earth Pony by their name. Leper, I think you said. They're the only member of our party I've never heard of. Can you tell me more about them?"

Assailant Assailant Avedon Avedon Cyan Hide Cyan Hide GeneralTyrus GeneralTyrus Dumbledoof Dumbledoof
Trixie had been about to respond and call them all sensitive pansies, but her train of thought derailed when Avedon started trying to make her previous dragon kill seem less impressive. "UHM excuse me! It was a ferocious beast! It was at least this tall!" She said while holding her hoof out to be just about level with the top of her head. Also known as a very, very small dragon.

"... Okay so maybe it was a baby, but it was an adult baby! And it was scary! Big and scary! And it breathed ice at me! But you know what, Trixie killed it anyway because Trixie is the greatest sorcerer who has ever lived!"

"... Please, shut the fu-... I mean, please silence yourself." Luna said in a tired manner, more than commanded. Trixie furrowed her eyebrows for a moment and thought about arguing, before deciding better of it and stepping back a bit. She kept quiet.

"Hello Arc Light. I am glad to see you joining the group. This is Avedon, Captain of the Night Guard; The Weak and Pitiful Trixie," Trixie looked like she was fuming at that. "The Great and Powerful Starlight Glimmer; Expellix who nobody cares about; and finally Leper who is mostly unknown to us all." She introduced everypony to Arc while pointing a hoof at each pony individually.

Luna looked just about to speak, when suddenly the Night Court doors burst open, and a new pony showed up! He was a bat pony, wearing rags and holding a rusty shovel! "I am here to defeat the dragon my Princess!" He said confidently. Luna just arched an eyebrow. "... And your name is?" She asked, to which he replied, "... Greg my Princess!"
"Captain Avedon, please ensure Greg the Bat Pony gets an equal share of the treasure." She commanded with an arched eyebrow, though she had a smirk on her face. Greg wouldn't survive the fight! Haha!

Leper had been nodding along, wanting Luna to say her original sentence, before sighing, a mere silencing doing well enough, before she'd bow her head when mentioned, "A pleasure." She'd say softly, shaking her head a bit.

Just when they were about to get down to brass tacks, the new pony showed up. He was... A bat pony! Oh boy, they'd have one traveling with them! Then she saw his attire and weapons, and internally winced, shaking her head slowly. This poor fool wouldn't last an hour out in the woods, let alone fighting a Dragon.

She'd inhale, before trotting to Greg, nodding her head, "Wonderful to meet you." She'd say, her eyes a shroud under the see through cloth on the eye holes. She'd look back to Luna, waiting for this party to really start. It had been a while since she'd last seen combat, and her hobbies were becoming dull.

Last edited:
Dreamweaver Dreamweaver Cyan Hide Cyan Hide
Expellix didn't even bat an eye in the way Luna introduced him. He was so used to Luna dogging on him that it went through one ear and right out the other!

Instead, after bringing Trixie back up, he just glanced to the side at Starlight... and also hopped up onto her back. "There isn't a whole lot for me to say. Leper was dragged in by a guard one day to the hospital I was working at during the war, before the Canterlot battle. They thought she was injured." He would not say exactly how. That was confidential. "I did some work on her and then let her leave. About all there was to it."

His ears raised all the way up in alarm when the giant doors burst open and he turned around to see... a bat pony running towards them! Due to being far sighted, he could quite clearly make out what that bat pony was wearing... well then. Expellix just stared for a while before eventually putting his paw to his face.

"Well, look at it this way guys... he's wearing more armor than I am still." So he wasn't the most ill-equipped person in the room in one aspect at least.

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver
"Do not worry my liege, his death will not go unaven-"
He clears his throat
"Well will...gather treasure in his mem-..."

Avedon didn't quite know how to phrase this, he didn't want to discourage the volunteer. He certainly had heart and a foolhardy confidence was necessary if you were ever to succeed in this manner of endeavor. There was no room for doubting when a dragon was bearing over you, you had to believe no matter how dire the situation seemed, you were to be victorious....and he was sure the situation would be quite dire for the bat.

"Well at the very least, if a mob of peasants with pitch-forks could tear down castle walls, I'm sure a man with a digging implement can put a dent into a dragon yes? Afterall, the arms of a warrior are his secondary weapons. I would take a man with the heart of a lion and no blades in his hand, over a full-clad knight with the heart of a rabbit...Present company excluded. Metaphors and all that. Still...I'm sure a guard here can spare a blade and some basic leather for this man."

Arc laughed. "Hey, good on you Greg!" He looked around. "I have seen simple farmers with nothing but the clothes on their back and the odd hoe or shovel defend their town against invading shifters before. Silver would be proud." He looked around at the others. He'd seen one or two of them before, he reckoned, but only somewhat in passing. He'd heard Starlight's name in some of his research on the modern day, so clearly she had some notoriety, and he felt confident he'd seen Expellix somewhere...

oh right, they'd gotten into a fight the day he'd arrived in the future.

Well, no matter. He hadn't spent any meaningful amount of time with any of them, aside from maybe Avedon, so he still had more to gain.

Assailant Assailant Avedon Avedon Cyan Hide Cyan Hide GeneralTyrus GeneralTyrus Dumbledoof Dumbledoof
Trixie took one look at the bat pony and grinned. Oh boy, a new recruit! And also someone she could raise as an undead servant when he inevitably died!

"Hello, all!" Greg chirped happily while coming to stand in the line, all of whom were behind Lord Commander Avedon. He then proceeded to shut up because obviously Luna had things to fill them in on. Before she started speaking again Luna addressed one of the guards in the room and commanded, "You, there. Go find this pony a suit of fitting chainmail, and an..." she looked at the shovel and just frowned. "... a... greataxe. That seems good."

Greg looked like he was about to cry with happiness! A peasant like himself, owning a suit of chainmail and a real axe! Wow! He saluted Luna happily, just grinning to himself the whole time. It's like he didn't even realize he was walking into certain death!

"Now then, now that you are all assembled I must warn you, there is much more at stake than a mere dragon." Luna started to say, rubbing at her chin as she addressed the group. "While it is true that the black dragon Kyrak is responsible for the eradication of Hollow Shades, his minions now have control of the town. Your first priority should be ridding the town of them."

"I've scouted the area personally, and found the town mostly filled with goblins, trolls and night hags. The dragon makes his lair in a cave north of Hollow Shades, beside a swamp. Nearer to the cave you will find more trolls, but also a few hill giants. Be careful."

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver

"....What the hell is a night-hag and shouldn't they technically be called swamp-giants if that's where they're living?"

Avedon had never really been quite a "professional" adventurer. He was a soldier, and though the art of killing tended to be universal, he was not a s well versed in the most obscure elements of monster-lore...plus the few times he had heard about night-hags screeching in swamps and scratching up trees he just assumed it was a nickname for Luna. It sounded like her.

"And the dragon has a name? What else do we actually know of him? Whatever information we can get of his motives or tactics could help..."

Leper was a bit surprised at the fact that the peasant Greg was getting free gear. It was pretty good for him at least, considering it was probably the most expensive things he'd ever own in his life. She'd just shake her head, before resuming listening to the debriefing.

At the mention of Goblins and other such creatures, she'd let out a low chuckle, nodding her head. Goblins were usually pretty easy and fun to kill, so long as you knew what you were doing. The Trolls and Night Hags would be annoying. She'd nod slowly, noting down what they needed to expect and what they'd be doing. She'd shake her head, listening, before bowing respectfully.

She'd glare over at Avedon, before looking at Luna, "We'll we handle the slight, my Princess." She'd say, nodding again.

"Hmmm," Arc hummed a bit to himself in thought. "Not that I'm opposed or anything, but I have to ask: why not send in the military for this? This seems a lot larger in scope than is appropriate for an adventuring party." He rubbed the back of his head. "I mean I'll still do it and all, but, you know... unless this was established before I arrived."

Dreamweaver Dreamweaver

Users who are viewing this thread