• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Shadows of the Setting Sun (OOC)

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Speak all the words and make all the plans you want, physical force. The show of violence, was the only action that mattered.
So am I correct in thinking it really matters to Aeliana who won that little tournament we had off screen, because that determines the group pecking order in her mind? What does she believe about people capable of defeating her vs those who can't?

She’s still unsure of the pecking order, mostly a little upset that she lost the opportunity to have a clear structure.

Whoever won the battle would have to be the one holding more ‘truth’ in the universe, making their viewpoint align with the idea of might makes right. If someone defeated her, she’d react as their ‘truth’ being currently dominant and she’d act according to their wishes until she was capable of enforcing her own viewpoints.

What’s interesting is if someone of another faith defeated her, and requires her to stop believing in the Victory, it’s just going to round about reinforce what she’s already believing,physical control and orderly dominance are the defining factors of her religion. Hence the Evervictor, if she loses, she wins. If she wins, she wins.

When she defeats another, they should naturally defer to her from then on and come to the understanding that the only way to get their truth into the world is to overcome the opposition through force. I guess the preferred method is open challenge, making a ‘show’ of their argument, reveling in life being played out in the Arena. Death is part of this but honestly not the goal, her real fights are to first blood. The slaughters of something like a mortal vs a celestial are not something she likes but as something she’s been told are part of enforcing the truth of the world. An example of overwhelming might. She doesn’t like to espouse that particular ideal, avoiding that question until someone stronger than her steps up and changes it.

I’m kinda free form writing this out, I’m sure there’s some glaring discrepancies in her thought process but in the end, it’s a cult and she’s an unknowing figurehead with lots and lots of others taking advantage of someone who truly believes that the world can be as black and white as she sees it. Combined with her own unstable grasp on reality and now with the void tugging on her soul. It’s a big ol’ mess in her head.

Correct me if I'm wrong WlfSamurai WlfSamurai , but the tournament did happen offscreen, so Aeliana does know her Hierarchy of Truths, assuming she respects single elimination, since I assume we didn't go all out and do round robin. We would just have to sort out what the ranking was, either with a roll-off, ST fiat, or something else.

Correct me if I'm wrong WlfSamurai WlfSamurai , but the tournament did happen offscreen, so Aeliana does know her Hierarchy of Truths, assuming she respects single elimination, since I assume we didn't go all out and do round robin. We would just have to sort out what the ranking was, either with a roll-off, ST fiat, or something else.
Yes, correct.

I think we could just do simple D10 rolls to call out the victor and ranking.

Does that work for everyone who wants to take part in the tournament?

Esbilon Esbilon Epiphany Epiphany Rykon Rykon Sherwood Sherwood D. Rex D. Rex Random Word Random Word Teh Frixz Teh Frixz jaydude jaydude

Maybe something slightly more complicated that doesn't give Zoya an equal chance of winning ;)

Like rolling 1d10 per combat-relevant Charm and using number of 10's as a tie-breaker?

"Fair enough. I think I'm more suited to creating discord rather than ensuring unity, anyway." replied Makuro. "Unless anyone else here has need of me, I'm going to scout ahead."

He gave the others in the camp a few seconds to approach him. Assuming no-one did, he would shift into his owl form and begin flying around, checking their route for any signs of danger. As he did, he considered that an owl probably wasn't the best of forms for morning; since were nocturnal, the sight of such a bird at this time of day would look suspicious to anyone reasonably versed in wildlife. A daytime bird of this region would be far more appropriate.

WlfSamurai WlfSamurai
Assuming it won't delay the story - i.e. you're fine with skipping it over, I'd like to undertake a sacred hunt for a non-nocturnal bird of the North. Thinking a snow partridge, a ptarmigan, or anything else you feel would be appropriate.

Essence: 1
Personal Essence: 16/16
Peripheral Essence: 33/38

Committed Essence: 5 (Hundred Rings)

Willpower: 6
Join Battle: 7
Health Levels:
-0: [_]
-1: [_], [_]
-2: [_], [_], [_], [_], [_], [_]
-4: [_], [_], [_]
Resolve 4, Guile 4

Attacks
Hundred Rings (13 Withering, 10 Decisive, 14 Damage, Overwhelming 4)
Unarmed (14 Withering, 10 Decisive, 9 Damage, Overwhelming 1)

Actions
Rush: 7 dice
Disengage: 10 dice

Evasion 5, Parry 6
Soak/Hardness: 6/0 (Buff Jacket, +3 Soak)
Snow partridge would be perfect. No roll needed for this. Feel free to describe it in IC.

Maybe something slightly more complicated that doesn't give Zoya an equal chance of winning ;)

Like rolling 1d10 per combat-relevant Charm and using number of 10's as a tie-breaker?
Oooh. I like that, actually. Let's do that!

Okay, so, everyone who wants into the tournament, count up you combat-relevant Charms and roll that as a pool of D10's. We'll figure out what we do after if there is a tie.

Esbilon Esbilon Epiphany Epiphany Rykon Rykon Sherwood Sherwood , D. Rex D. Rex Random Word Random Word Teh Frixz Teh Frixz jaydude jaydude

Ok, are we going with 7 as the target number as usual, or a simple total of the dice?

Also, just FYI for all of you, I'm stepping away from the "scene" structure. I'm finding it more constraining than I like. I more enjoy the freedom to slow pace or quicken pace at a whim or when it feels right. And also the ability to zoom in and out as needed and shift forward in time as much as needed.

I just means I will be tracking your XP differently than per scene. I will probably mete it out IC as we go along.

Sorry for the change, but I think it will be for the better.

Esbilon Esbilon Epiphany Epiphany Rykon Rykon Sherwood Sherwood , D. Rex D. Rex Random Word Random Word Teh Frixz Teh Frixz jaydude jaydude

Does anyone at the end of our "session" believe that they have hit one of the bonuses for Solar XP? Either the Role Bonus or the Expression Bonus?

Rolling 9 dice. 4 successes. Charms used are as follows:
  • Sinuous Striking Grace
  • Agile Beast Defense
  • Bending Before The Storm
  • Coiled Serpent Strikes
  • Blurring Scurry Prana
  • Motion of Myriad Legs
  • Chitinous Centipede Shell
  • Centipede Form
  • Serpent Ornament Embrace

Let’s go with no on the Ox-Body‘s as those aren’t Charms you use during the battle. But, yes on the Resistance Charms because you ARE actively using those during battle, right?

FYI—I’m telling your right now, as soon as there’s a playable version of Exalted Essence, we’re switching to it. The previews I’ve seen are very promising. Really looking forward to that.

FYI—I’m telling your right now, as soon as there’s a playable version of Exalted Essence, we’re switching to it. The previews I’ve seen are very promising. Really looking forward to that.
I don't mind switching to Essence. I like a lot of what I've read so far, but from what I've seen starting characters get only 4 Charms, with Excellencies and Ox-Bodies counting as Charm purchases. Sigrdrífa's almost certainly not going to be able to fit most of the things she's currently capable of doing into 4 Charms. With the new rules I may need to rework my character concept. Essence just won't let one character be good at all of the things out of the gate, which is good for the game but changes who a character is rather dramatically.

Let’s go with no on the Ox-Body‘s as those aren’t Charms you use during the battle. But, yes on the Resistance Charms because you ARE actively using those during battle, right?
Then I need to reroll, since I counted my three Ox-Body Techniques in the mix.

6 successes

I'm not a fan of this scale and abstraction of PVP mechanics and how it's encouraged me to see Toun's build. I have my own weaknesses when it comes to competitiveness so I'll refrain from rolling. I'm content to concede victory to Tyree. I don't mean to ruin anyone's fun, it's just my own personal foibles.

Does anyone at the end of our "session" believe that they have hit one of the bonuses for Solar XP? Either the Role Bonus or the Expression Bonus?
referencing this for Lunars...
1623721341568.png
Does working with Sigrdrifa to force a way past the environmental hazard (1) and then annihilate a corrupted god count(2) for role bonuses?

As for Expression, I enjoyed the character moments after the battle so for my part I'll nominate Afureru and Sigrdrifa for the Expression bonuses. I'll also nominate Makuro, Zoya, Sigrdrifa, and Aelianna for the friction and resolution. Lot of big personality moments here.

Then for 'ceding' the spotlight there's Sherwood with Tyree, chosing the defense of the tribesmen over high octane god slaying. All in all, I think everyone's earned a healthy sum of Solar/Lunar XP and that's merely in the most recent scenes, not counting the intro.

I don't mind switching to Essence. I like a lot of what I've read so far, but from what I've seen starting characters get only 4 Charms, with Excellencies and Ox-Bodies counting as Charm purchases. Sigrdrífa's almost certainly not going to be able to fit most of the things she's currently capable of doing into 4 Charms. With the new rules I may need to rework my character concept. Essence just won't let one character be good at all of the things out of the gate, which is good for the game but changes who a character is rather dramatically.
That alone may have just prevented me from backing Essence, much less be comfortable with tossing out a lot of what I think breathes life into Toun and makes him more than just a sword hand. Yikes.

As it stands I'm not adamantly against switching but to say that news gives me pause is an understatement.

Last edited:
I'd give out bonuses to everyone if I could. As there was a lot of good writing and scenes. But I wouldn't count myself familiar enough with the system to be qualified to hand out xp.

As the tournament thing. I don't quite understand it myself. Was told to roll dice and I like rolling dice. Though I wouldn't turn down an opportunity to try out an actual pvp battle.

And as for Exalted Essence. I don't know anything about it. But more Exalted is always a win in my book.

Don't read too much into it out of context. You get one or more Milestones every session, and some Milestones can be spent to buy a Charm amongst other things, so you're picking them up at quite a clip once you get going. You usually increase in Essence rating every 3-4 sessions, and an increase in Essence comes with a free Excellency or Ox-Body in addition to everything else. It's not inconceivable you could earn 2 new Charms per session if you consistently hit Minor and Exalt Milestones every session. Personal Milestones are handed out like candy and they can be used to repurchase Charms and buy new Modes, and that's sort of like descending a Charm tree in 3e.

Essence starts you off with less ability than 3e, but ramps up faster.

Edit: In theory, if everyone hits an Exalt Milestone in a session, everyone gets another one (One everyone earns one, everyone gets another one), so you could get three Charms per session if you also hit a Minor.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back