• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Shadows of the Setting Sun (OOC)

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Out of curiosity, was the sorceress' wound penalty factored into the roll? I'm guessing in typical Abyssal fashion she has a way to negate wound penalties, which is worth knowing.
Shit, completely forgot it. I always forget wound penalties. *sigh*

I’m just leaving it. Literally, I worked on that post and math to make sure it was as fair as possible and grounding all the sorcery in some kind of logic for like…ever. I HATE that I don’t have the Abyssal splat.

It’s SO important to me that the rolls are not fudged and you feel as though you can FAIRLY make an impact through the rules. I will look at all my NPCs, locations, and set pieces through crosshairs. :)

Ah, I forgot to reply to this. It wasn't not there, but I always hesitate to do more than hint at things like that when I'm essentially creating an NPC someone else has to play. Whatever you read into it and whatever sounds fun to you is correct. When a major part of your culture is, 'Kill or be killed,' and one of the central tensions of your people's lives is between the desperate white knuckle grasp you have on life with one hand and the knife you're going to plunge into the hearts of those trying to climb over you to get it in the other, if you don't have a love/hate relationship with an Abyssal it had better be because it's low hanging fruit and you've got something more ambitious in mind. They represent the temptation to just let go of that grasp on life in a place that so very much wants to kill you and just relax.
Well, yes. And no. I think you know by now I’m a more collaborative ST/GM/MC/DM. I do appreciate you setting it up for ease of use. But, I also see it as feeding into Sigrdrifa’s story as well. Should this be about the girl that was folded into darkness whom she loved? Or just a good friend she cared about?

There’s no right answer here. I just want to make sure you get the chance to set the character’s story in motion the way you want to.

I love you description of the Abyssal dilemma. So good.

So we can't tell anything has gone wrong right, or that Tyree is in danger unless she flares or something, right? We just see, "Oh look, the giant undead army summoned another giant undead thing somewhere way over thataway."
Not as of yet. The effing monster thing you can tell is pissed as hell. But, I’m not sure that’s enough indication Tyree is in the shit.

I will say that I am really hoping to be able to end this sorceress and keep her from casting any other spells before making a run for it and getting the hell out of there.

Should this be about the girl that was folded into darkness whom she loved? Or just a good friend she cared about?
Oh, I see. Yes, Sigrdrífa does have a crush on Embrace. As a character, much like her tribe, she's sort of balanced on the knife's edge between the two sorts of heroic archetypes held up by her people, which we can call the Solar and the Abyssal as a shorthand. Neither would really be called heroic by settled cultures (see Yurgen Kaneko), but certainly one is significantly less odious than the other. Toun is the relationship that represents the pull towards her more conventionally heroic impulses, and Embrace the pull towards her darker impulses. I suppose given enough time and inclination Zoya could probably yank her all the way out into being a settled hero, with like a wine cellar and an extensive poetry collection in her library, but that's a new influence.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand the geometry of this battle.
Tyree is fighting the necromanceress
Sigrdrifa, Zoya, and Tuon is looking out at the army
Afurefu is at the army camp some way away from the look out point
Makuro is flying around above the army somewhere

is this correct, and where is Aeliana? Just how far is it from the look-out point to the fight, and is there an obvious way of getting to it other than through the army?

I'm not sure I understand the geometry of this battle.
Tyree is fighting the necromanceress
Sigrdrifa, Zoya, and Tuon is looking out at the army
Afurefu is at the army camp some way away from the look out point
Makuro is flying around above the army somewhere

is this correct, and where is Aeliana? Just how far is it from the look-out point to the fight, and is there an obvious way of getting to it other than through the army?
All great questions. And the answers you gave above are right. Everyone on the ridge—Sigrdrifa, Zoya, and Tuon—is there with a bunch of ghosts, too.

Let me see if I can draw it...somehow...

Also, yeah, it's a ways down into the camp and to the big ol' obsidian tower. You could go around the camp, but that would probably take a long while to make your down and around.

"Pretty girl, pale skin, short blonde hair, bony arms? Never heard of her, sorry." She said cheekily.
Wat. Is this implying that Afureru is an Abyssal in disguise? Or she was a Solar working for a Deathlord as a trainer only months ago? And she either suppressed her own memory, or someone else suppressed it, and now Embrace's prompt has triggered its return? Is Afureru about to reverse heel face turn and betray us all, Manchurian Candidate style?

Wat. Is this implying that Afureru is an Abyssal in disguise? Or she was a Solar working for a Deathlord as a trainer only months ago? And she either suppressed her own memory, or someone else suppressed it, and now Embrace's prompt has triggered its return? Is Afureru about to reverse heel face turn and betray us all, Manchurian Candidate style?
That depends! Do you want to know now or do you want, as I probably would, or would you rather find out through play?

I'm just waiting to see the results of Tyree's latest attack on the Abyssal sorceress. Did I finish her off, or is she still hanging on by a thread?

Nah, I'm just trying to figure out the timeline in my head. As I understand it, after drawing her second breath Afureru left Grieve and started heading northeast with her army of peasants. Along the way she met Toun, then he left, then she met Sigrdrífa, who stayed with her until Whitewall. So either she lied about how she drew her second breath, and it actually happened much earlier, or she found time while travelling to pop off to a Deathlord's palace to train Embrace, and her army either didn't notice or didn't mind.

Nah, I'm just trying to figure out the timeline in my head. As I understand it, after drawing her second breath Afureru left Grieve and started heading northeast with her army of peasants. Along the way she met Toun, then he left, then she met Sigrdrífa, who stayed with her until Whitewall. So either she lied about how she drew her second breath, and it actually happened much earlier, or she found time while travelling to pop off to a Deathlord's palace to train Embrace, and her army either didn't notice or didn't mind.

Neither! Afureru didn't slip off anywhere. And she hasn't lied (she would be a terrible liar if she even tried).

The timeline is correct. And without any funny business. Cheeky as Afureru may be being, she doesn't currently know anything about Hopes End or Embrace beyond what has been revealed so far. And is disturbed by it.

The truth though, could spell out both bad and good. And Sigfrida might benefit greatly, depending which feelings for Embrace now linger.

Makuro narrowed his eyes at the well-dressed ghost from his perch, trying to gauge whatever details he could.

[Rolling Perception + Occult, claiming one-point stunt and one bonus dice from the owl's Wide-Range Vision Merit.

Wow. Was not expecting to succeed there.]
We never resolved this and I don't want to lose it.

Makuro studied the well-dressed ghostly man moving between the rows of direction tables. With 5 successes, he's able to see that there is more to this spirit. This spirit is a powerful sorcerer in his own right. Not just a ghost, but a powerful spirit elevated in the ranks of the Underworld. He's able to tell this through the way this spirit is move his hands and inspecting the bodies/victims on these tables. Makuro can't see the Essence he's manipulating, but it's clear he is manipulating the spirit Essence of these tortured souls.

I'm just waiting to see the results of Tyree's latest attack on the Abyssal sorceress. Did I finish her off, or is she still hanging on by a thread?
Your second attack left her with one health level left:

Health levels before second attack:
[X][X][X][X][X][_][_][_][_]
-0 -1 -1 -1 -2 -2 -2 -4 Inc.

Health levels after second attack:
[X][X][X][X][X][X][X][X][_]
-0 -1 -1 -1 -2 -2 -2 -4 Inc.

Edit: That was why she tried to disengage as her action. Which didn't work at all with -4 wound penalty. :)

Also, jaydude jaydude , I assume you're heading to the fight as your action? How fast can you fly?
For what it's worth, adult snowy owls can apparently reach speeds of up to 46mph/74kph. Presumably Makuro will be starting this battle at around Long Range from Tyree, the necromancer and that thing I'm assuming is a hekatonkhire.

Gonna have to reply tomorrow. Feeling pretty tired at the moment, and hoping to get back in the habit of not going to bed absurdly late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back