• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Shadows of the Setting Sun (OOC)

Main
Here
Characters
Here
WlfSamurai WlfSamurai
Would i be roll for war instead of awareness to get an idea of numbers and composition? Relating to her experience with camps and armies. That she might know if it is reminiscent of a war party or not.

WlfSamurai WlfSamurai
Would i be roll for war instead of awareness to get an idea of numbers and composition? Relating to her experience with camps and armies. That she might know if it is reminiscent of a war party or not.
Yes. I like that thought. Go for it. You’re answer will be different than the others, but that’s what you’re asking for. :)

Yes. I like that thought. Go for it. You’re answer will be different than the others, but that’s what you’re asking for. :)

I think it would be the details she would find more important. Like if she would recognize them as a war party, or know if the camp pattern is more similar to barbarian tribes or a more organized realm party. And by knowing such, she could determine if it is worth it to send scouts or have a guess if the camp has effective scouts sent out that might know if our exalts are there or not already.

I think it would be the details she would find more important. Like if she would recognize them as a war party, or know if the camp pattern is more similar to barbarian tribes or a more organized realm party. And by knowing such, she could determine if it is worth it to send scouts or have a guess if the camp has effective scouts sent out that might know if our exalts are there or not already.
Yeah, sounds good.

she catches the tail end of a foreign language
Oops, I didn't even consider that Aeliana and Sigrdrífa can't actually understand one another - Sigrdrífa only speaks Skytongue, and presumably Aeliana only speaks Forest-tongue or Riverspeak or something?

So only Toun and Tyree can actually understand Aeliana - huh, wow, when did Toun learn Riverspeak and Old Realm? and how to read and write - not bad for a barbarian at the edge of the world.

I usually chalk Old Realm up to a byproduct of Exaltation. I also threw Riverspeak on there when I originally had Mentor on there as well... Hm...

I'll have to give that one some thought.

Yeah, I'm never good with the languages thing. I'm terrible and still don't really know which ones are which and where and how they're used in the setting.

Crash course, anyone?

The only ones you actually care about are:

Old Realm and Descendants
Old Realm — native language of all spirits.
High Realm — language of the ruling classes of the Scarlet Dynasty.

Directional Languages
Low Realm, also known as Earthtongue — common Blessed Isle language, created by Creation-Defining Parlance Society.
Flametongue — common language of the South, created by Creation-Defining Parlance Society.
Forest-tongue — common language of the East, created by Creation-Defining Parlance Society.
Seatongue — common language of the West, created by Creation-Defining Parlance Society.
Skytongue — common language of the North, created by Creation-Defining Parlance Society.
Riverspeak — common language of the Scavenger Lands, originated as a patois of the other five directional languages.

Auxilliary Languages
Guild Cant — secret language of the Guild.

I think Low Realm is actually derived from High Realm, not one of the Directional tongues, but I could be wrong.

Riverspeak would be the common language used openly by the Guild. I'd say if Aelianna was raised basically as a slave or close to it, it's the most likely candidate for her native language. Either that or Flametongue, but that kind of distance is a bit much.

You all can see the opposite shore of this River is also about a mile east.
Pardon, is the river a mile wide at its narrowest?

They mentioned the river was angry - is the bridge washed out, or the level of the river frequently rising above it, or should we assume the river is literally lashing out at anyone attempting a crossing?

Sigrdrífa is just going to attempt to ford the river immediately, because fuck their angry river and fuck their plague-walkers, I just need to sort out how to stunt that.

For all that I like to point out that Creation is large and the regional differences should not be overlooked, language is just such a pain not to gloss over. Particularly because we'd have to rewrite every past interaction with Aeliana.

Teh Frixz Teh Frixz can you find a point or two for Merits to put into Languages? Maybe going into xp-debt with WlfSamurai WlfSamurai 's permission if there's nothing you can spare.

Pardon, is the river a mile wide at its narrowest?

They mentioned the river was angry - is the bridge washed out, or the level of the river frequently rising above it, or should we assume the river is literally lashing out at anyone attempting a crossing?

Sigrdrífa is just going to attempt to ford the river immediately, because fuck their angry river and fuck their plague-walkers, I just need to sort out how to stunt that.
Love it.

The about mile or so river you’ve seen is all about the same width. Which is about a mile wide. Too many miles. 🙄

The bridge is completely intact. The water level is high, but still about 20 feet from the top of the bridge.

So, yeah, if you had to guess, the water is literally lashing out.

For all that I like to point out that Creation is large and the regional differences should not be overlooked, language is just such a pain not to gloss over. Particularly because we'd have to rewrite every past interaction with Aeliana.

Teh Frixz Teh Frixz can you find a point or two for Merits to put into Languages? Maybe going into xp-debt with WlfSamurai WlfSamurai 's permission if there's nothing you can spare.
Yeah I usually hand-wave language. Because it’s such a pain for little gain.

At the risk reducing the work and effort others have put into their languages, I’m willing to just give Aeliana the necessary language just so we don’t have to think about it.

Fake it till you make it. I’ll have her understand a broken version of it. Maybe it’ll make for some good interactions based around not understanding properly

Oh this should be fun. 😈

Afureru is going for the bridge. I’m going to let it breath if anyone wants to do anything as she approaches it on her mount.

There will be two reactions for sure coming up:
  1. The icewalkers‘ reacting to Afureru’s Caste mark
  2. The icewalkers’ reaction to Afureru heading for the bridge

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back