• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Shadows of the Setting Sun (Main)

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
"Currency? You mean settled 'coins'?" she laughs. "You can't bet those. You have to bet something real. Drinks, favours, a weapon of legend, something useful."

"I did consider betting a Jade daiklave, but I don't have one. And while I might not have a hard time stealing one from the Realm, it would be a long journey for me, and right now, I've got a feeling I need to stay up in these parts." replied Makuro.

"Also, I don't know if your tribe ever engages in trading or bartering, but in the 'civilized' world, you do have to exchange coins or other markers of wealth in return for things and services. So I fail to see how coins don't count as 'real' or 'useful'."

Essence: 1
Personal Essence: 16/16
Peripheral Essence: 33/38

Committed Essence: 5 (Hundred Rings)

Willpower: 6
Join Battle: 7
Health Levels:
-0: [_]
-1: [_], [_]
-2: [_], [_], [_], [_], [_], [_]
-4: [_], [_], [_]
Resolve 4, Guile 4

Attacks
Hundred Rings (13 Withering, 10 Decisive, 14 Damage, Overwhelming 4)
Unarmed (14 Withering, 10 Decisive, 9 Damage, Overwhelming 1)

Actions
Rush: 7 dice
Disengage: 10 dice

Evasion 5, Parry 6
Soak/Hardness: 6/0 (Buff Jacket, +3 Soak)

"They are little pieces of silver! You can't make anything useful out of silver. They aren't even properly shaped for slings. If some settled traveller has a useful thing I want, I take it. If they would rather useless hunks of silver, more fool them!" she laughs. "Your jade, though, that is useful. It makes tools and weapons that never break. That is a fine wager. I have heard the Realm call their coins jade, but they make them out of useless paper! I am not sure who they think they are fooling."

Makuro smiled. "Different things are useless to different people." he replied. "You might sneer at the concept of currency, but there are many, warriors included, who have no need or reason to care about personal renown."

Health Levels:
Resolve 4, Guile 4

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 5, Parry 6

This does not seem the time to teach Sigrdrifa the patently obvious benefits of trade and a mostly-universal currency. Trying to civilise that woman would be the work of years, if at all possible.

Instead she points out the comparatively small structures and says, "those two are not like the others. They are not mundane siege engines, but vehicles of sorcerous power. Power that should be beyond that of the more common undead. Perhaps we'd be able to find whoever leads this host if we could get someone over there to take a closer look."

This does not seem the time to teach Sigrdrifa the patently obvious benefits of trade and a mostly-universal currency. Trying to civilise that woman would be the work of years, if at all possible.

Instead she points out the comparatively small structures and says, "those two are not like the others. They are not mundane siege engines, but vehicles of sorcerous power. Power that should be beyond that of the more common undead. Perhaps we'd be able to find whoever leads this host if we could get someone over there to take a closer look."
"My bet is something akin to the Mask of Winters. That thing that conquered the city of Thorns far south of here." he said, before grimacing at the proposal he was going to make. "If no-one else is going to volunteer, I can try and get a good look."

Someone had to take risks. And he seemed like the most skilled here when it came to infiltration, barring perhaps the Night Caste Sigrdrífa.

[ WlfSamurai WlfSamurai , what time of day is it right now? If it's night, Makuro will shift into his owl form and try to investigate the undead camp, otherwise he'll wait until night to do so.]

Health Levels:
Resolve 4, Guile 4

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 5, Parry 6

WlfSamurai WlfSamurai What kind of wildlife, if any, is present in the area? I could try flying over in my raven form to add a second set of eyes to the investigation

Toun gave Makuro a nod as he paused to consider their options. "Hm... If I can trust you two with this I'll save my strength for a confrontation. If we have to break those things, I don't want to hold back." He turned to Zoya to inquire further. "You call these sorcerous engines... What do you know of the purpose they serve? Should we be concerned for the safety of the troops? If not, I'm fine breaking these things down horde or not."

Tyree says, "I am not the sorcerous type, but I can look and describe what I see to the rest of you. A raven shouldn't draw too much attention, so I can get close and do some snooping."

She then shifts herself into the aforementioned avian form, and gives a small chirp and a nod before spreading her wings to take to the sky.

Shortly after Tyree had transformed and flown off, Makuro did the same, shifting into his owl form and gliding towards the sorcerous engines.

Health Levels:
Resolve 4, Guile 4

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 5, Parry 6

Esbilon Esbilon Rykon Rykon D. Rex D. Rex Random Word Random Word Teh Frixz Teh Frixz
Tyree and Makuro change into their avian forms and take to the sky, heading west.

A few quiet minutes pass. Then, a wisp of movement and a shimmer. The spectral outline of a man wearing laborer’s clothes takes shape at the edge of the cliff next to the Circle. His clothing and scars make it clear he’s a ghost of the ancient camp’s workers. His form is cleaved from shoulder to navel where he was cut down. His legs are twisted all wrong; signs that he was thrown from this very cliff. Despite this, he stands proud and confident.

“Why have you come?” he asks the Circle on the cliff.

Sherwood Sherwood jaydude jaydude
It takes a bit of time, even in flight, for Tyree and Makuro to make their way to the camp. This close, they are able to make more detail on the activity below. Slaves are being whipped, beaten, or worse while working the worst manual labor jobs. The dead work tirelessly on their projects. Ghostly forms flit in and out of view as they circle their tasks. The smoke of unnatural bellows fills the air with a burnt smell.

Splitting ways to cover more ground, Makuro’s flight takes him farther north while Tyree continues west. From the ridge, the north of the camp had seemed like too much activity to truly see what was happening. But, Makuro finds a much worse situation than what could be seen. Circles of caged men, women, and children. Icewalkers. Near the cages, palisade walls have been constructed as pens where unthinkable creatures test their brawn on these captives. Further on, long tables in rows and lines have victims strapped to them where they are flayed or tortured live. Some for experiments. Some for rituals or spells. Still other captives dig mass graves for their kin as what’s left of the bodies are piled.

A ghostly figure, a man—well-dressed despite being a spirit—floats through the rows, overseeing and studying each table.

benjamin-ee-necromancer-final.jpgTyree finds another complication. She passes over the obsidian tower, she sees a great rift in the ground the tower block sight of. Close to the tower at the foot of where the rift in the ground opens, a woman in black robes gestures hands filled with burning black Essence. The ground in the rift is shifting and turning. The woman continues to cast her spell.

Last edited:
Sigrdrífa, chin resting in clasped hands, elbows resting on the cold rock, peers intently over the ridge after the retreating birds until the spirit interrupts. She turns her head to look it up and down in sidelong appraisal before turning back to watch the scouting mission, "I'm here to hunt monsters of legend. You're safe, spirit. You don't look nearly terrifying enough." Inwardly she sighs - if this spirit rats them out to the ones below she can simply leave unharmed, but some of their number can't fly or disappear so easily, and she'll have to decide whether to wade through this ocean of angry spirits in their defence.

Esbilon Esbilon Rykon Rykon D. Rex D. Rex Random Word Random Word Teh Frixz Teh Frixz
"Monsters of legend?" repeats the spirit. "You are in the land of the dead. The land of suffering. There is nothing legendary here. No, you stand on corpses." And with that, hundreds of ghosts manifest, lining the ridge and surrounding the Circle.

"You are not with them," the spirit who has been talking says to the Circle and points to the war camp below. The comment seems both a question and statement. "We cannot find peace in this place."

The faces and bodies of these scores and scores of ghosts are a mosaic of cruelty and suffering. They hold their shapes from death. Some are intact safe for a mortal wound or a quick end. Others are grotesque having died during torturous or depraved acts. And worse.

Some, still, are not human, but experimental creatures put to the sword after being shipped away from their dead Solar masters.

"Will you help us?" another ghost, a young mutilated girl, says. "We do not wish to be Achiba's slaves."

Sigrdrífa looks around warily at the sudden apparition - surely the sudden appearance of so many risks notice by the hordes below - but eventually snorts, "I said I was hunting legendary monsters, not honoured ancestors. Death and suffering mean I am on the right track. Tell me of this Achiba. How mighty and terrifying is it, and what terrible things has it done? Who will sing my praises if I mount its head on a spear? Does it have a head to be mounted, and if not, does it have other appendages that might make a suitable trophy?"

It takes a bit of time, even in flight, for Tyree and Makuro to make their way to the camp. This close, they are able to make more detail on the activity below. Slaves are being whipped, beaten, or worse while working the worst manual labor jobs. The dead work tirelessly on their projects. Ghostly forms flit in and out of view as they circle their tasks. The smoke of unnatural bellows fills the air with a burnt smell.

Splitting ways to cover more ground, Makuro’s flight takes him farther north while Tyree continues west. From the ridge, the north of the camp had seemed like too much activity to truly see what was happening. But, Makuro finds a much worse situation than what could be seen. Circles of caged men, women, and children. Icewalkers. Near the cages, palisade walls have been constructed as pens where unthinkable creatures test their brawn on these captives. Further on, long tables in rows and lines have victims strapped to them where they are flayed or tortured live. Some for experiments. Some for rituals or spells. Still other captives dig mass graves for their kin as what’s left of the bodies are piled.

A ghostly figure, a man—well-dressed despite being a spirit—floats through the rows, overseeing and studying each table.
As grim a scene as it had been from afar, it was even worse up close, Makuro thought to himself. At least half the Silver Pact would consider this barbaric if they heard of it, and subsequently be all for opposing the Abyssal Exalted and their ilk. Embrace would probably have a lot to answer for, if this was the kind of thing her master did to Creation's people.

He glided down towards the well-dressed ghost and landed upon a long table, next to a corpse who looked to have recently been eviscerated alive. Trying to ignore the sight and smell of the dead man, the Lunar observed the ghost in the hopes of seeing what exactly his role was here. Was he in charge of this particular part of the camp? Or was he higher up on the totem pole, observing this area for the fun of it?

To call it camp was a ludicrous thing. But it was close enough to call it for the sake of something to call it. The army was stilled but at the ready, taking rests in groups of turns of fifty to eat and rest from the trek to this place. It was not a place Afureru wanted to risk settling down. And if the scouts were to be believed, moving the army any closer would risk detection they weren't ready for. So it was best to be ready to leave at a moments notice. Even if charging in was a prospect that made Affy more giddy than it should. But no... self control and restraint.

Not so much in what she was currently doing, however. Having Embrace face down on the ground, with the blunted beard of her halberd pinning her down at the neck. With the others gone, it seemed the smartest thing to do was to deal with her, and the solar wasn't about to just let the girl run around as is.

Afureru was in the process of searching her body. Removing any weapons and armor and artifacts she could find. Emptying pickets and so forth.

Tyree finds another complication. She passes over the obsidian tower, she sees a great rift in the ground the tower block sight of. Close to the tower at the foot of where the rift in the ground opens, a woman in black robes gestures hands filled with burning black Essence. The ground in the rift is shifting and turning. The woman continues to cast her spell.
In her form as the raven, Tyree flits down to get a closer look by landing on the ground nearby and pecking at some unseen morsel that would normally attract the eye of such a bird as she is right now. As she watches the spell being cast, she looks around, checking on the numbers and positions of any guards/soldiers around the woman, thinking of doing something rather stupid. She is a sorcerer, and most likely, one of the same kind of Exalt that Embrace is. If I were to shift into my war form right behind her, I might be able to plunge my spear into her black heart before anyone could stop me from doing so. Zelator is meant to be able to face off against threats like her, doing harm far beyond what normal weapons can do. I may not ever have a chance like this again.

OOC How much space is there around this woman? If I shift forms, would I be able to perform a surprise Decisive attack on her before anyone can act against her?
Health Levels
-0 [ ] (+[ ] Only in DBT Form)
-1 [ ][ ]
-2 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ][ ][ ]
-4 [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ] - [ ][ ]
I [ ]

Personal: 16
Peripheral: 38 / 24
Committed: 14
Willpower: 7

Parry DV: 6
Dodge DV: 3
Resolve: 4
Guile: 1

Join Battle: 8 + 3i - +5i from Sinuous Striking Grace (3m)

Soak: 5
Armor: +11
Shapeshifted: +5 from Unusual Skin, +5 from DBT
Total Soak: 16 human / 26 DBT
Armor Hardness: 10

Weapons
Zelator
Type: Heavy (+1 ACC, +14 DMG, +0 DEF, OVW 5)
Tags: Lethal, Melee, Piercing, Reaching;
Two-Handed when on foot
The spear makes baneful attacks against sorcerers, sorcerous constructs, sorcerously transformed opponents, and summoned spirits. Its decisive attacks against such foes add one bonus die to the damage roll and deal aggravated damage. If the target is a sorcerer who has gathered sorcerous motes, three of the gathered motes are dispersed and lost.

Sigrdrífa looks around warily at the sudden apparition - surely the sudden appearance of so many risks notice by the hordes below - but eventually snorts, "I said I was hunting legendary monsters, not honoured ancestors. Death and suffering mean I am on the right track. Tell me of this Achiba. How mighty and terrifying is it, and what terrible things has it done? Who will sing my praises if I mount its head on a spear? Does it have a head to be mounted, and if not, does it have other appendages that might make a suitable trophy?"
"Thrice-Dead Achiba is the most feared ghost in all of Marama's Fell," Zoya answers for the spirit. "He has been dead for millennia, but in life he was the twisted creation of Solars with more power and skill than sense - a monstrosity with the traits of spiders, scorpions, bears, and even wilder things. If you can slay him I have no doubt that songs to your praise will be sung from Whitewall to Serrat to Shanarinara. The dead themselves will raise up their voices, and so will every mortal man and woman living within sight of the Fell."

D. Rex D. Rex
Afureru frisks the prisoner who is face-down and tied up. She finds nothing as Embrace approached the group carrying nothing and her leathers allow for little to be hidden. As Afureru works and holds her charge down, Embrace turns her head to the side to speak.

“I’ve seen an anima like yours,” she says through the dirt. “Before. I’ve seen one, almost exactly like it. A while ago. It was someone who trained with me. A girl who we called Hope’ End. Do you know anything about this person?”

Afureru’s surroundings melt away and she is thrown into a memory that isn’t hers.

Sherwood Sherwood
Despite Tyree landing nearby, the sorceress continues her work. Up close, the Full Moon can see the lines in this woman’s face as she shapes her magic. The dirt around this sorceress is swirling and the power she is drawing in is billowing her hair and dress.

The sorceress is completely fixated on the task at hand.

[Join Battle: 3]

Tyree ponders her options. She could just pull back and go tell the others what she has seen here and no one would think any less of her. Well, almost no one. The shame of not killing this dark servant of the Underworld when there is such a golden opportunity to do so and running instead would haunt her more than the ghosts of the poor northerners that are being tortured to death not that far away.

This woman is a sorcerer, and so, is most likely a valued member of the army's command staff. If I were to kill her, or, at the very least, deal a grievous wound to her, it will slow their efforts to do . . . whatever it is that they are doing here. Yes. The way is clear for me. I must make the effort while this woman is distracted.

Keeping up on the ruse of being a carrion hunter, the raven/Lunar hops a little closer to the spellcaster until she is just a few paces away from her. She calms her turbulent mind, then, with a silent prayer to Luna to guide her hand, she shifts her form back into her human one, preparing to pierce the dark spellcaster through her exposed back.
Spending 5m on my Wits Excellency to boost my Join Battle roll, and another 3m on Sinuous Striking Grace to add an additional 5i to my pool, all from Personal Essence.

Total Join Battle roll: 19i

Health Levels
-1 [ ][ ]
I [ ]

Personal: 16 / 8

Weapons
Zelator
Two-Handed when on foot
The spear makes baneful attacks against sorcerers, sorcerous constructs, sorcerously transformed opponents, and summoned spirits. Its decisive attacks against such foes add one bonus die to the damage roll and deal aggravated damage. If the target is a sorcerer who has gathered sorcerous motes, three of the gathered motes are dispersed and lost.

With surprise gained, Tyree raises up Zelator in a two-handed grip, and with her full strength, she lunges forward with a powerful strike with the goal to impale the wretch before her and remove another servant of the Underworld from walking about freely in Creation. Brace yourself, bitch. This will only hurt for a moment.
Performing a Decisive Attack.

Spending another 5m on my Strength Excellency to increase my to-hit pool, 2m on Unstoppable Beast-Force Blow which does:
The Lunar’s unrelenting rage smashes through any bulwark raised against it. Her enemy’s Hardness is reduced by her attack roll extra successes on a decisive attack, and she doubles 10s on the damage roll.

This gives me a 17 die pool to hit. - 12 Successes
Assuming that this connects, I'll go ahead and roll damage. = 9 Aggravated damage done, and if she lives, she loses 3 sorcerous motes

Health Levels
-1 [ ][ ]
I [ ]

Personal: 16 / 8

Weapons
Zelator
Two-Handed when on foot

Makuro narrowed his eyes at the well-dressed ghost from his perch, trying to gauge whatever details he could.

[Rolling Perception + Occult, claiming one-point stunt and one bonus dice from the owl's Wide-Range Vision Merit.

Wow. Was not expecting to succeed there.]

Sherwood Sherwood
Tyree lunges, exemplifying all the might of the Lunar Exalted. Her spear moves faster than a lightning strike and with enough force to split a mountain peak. Before her, unaware, the sorceress continues working her spell.

In the sliver of an instant it takes the Full Moon reach her mark, the unexpected happens. Her weapon skewers something else entirely. A shimmer and Tyree’s spear sinks into the form of a reflexively-materialized spirit. The spirits face is part surprise and part agony. The sorceress’ defensive spirit field ALMOST drains the power from Tyree’s strike without her lifting a finger, or being aware.

And yet…

CRASH!!!

The force and nature of the Full Moon’s weapon causes the spirit to shatter like a pane of glass before dissipating into the air.

TYREE’S SPEAR CONTINUES ON IT’S PATH HAVING SHATTERED A HOLE IN THE SPIRITUAL DEFENSE.

The spearhead sinks deep into the sorceress, bursting her lung and shattering her ribs on both sides, before finally exploding out the her chest in a shower of sinew. The impaled Abyssal’s body rears like a rag-doll on impact and she cries out in aggravated torment. Tyree’s weapon does its work. The wound hisses and smolders. Smoke billows up from the opening in the sorceress’ back and chest. [She takes 5 aggravated damage]

In one fluid motion, the sorceress steps forward, pulling herself free of the spear, and turns. The spell’s Essence she was shaping still crackles in one hand. She falls to her knees, blood leaking from her mouth and hissing out of her gaping chest. She’s sucking to regain air, but finally, a devilish sound starts low and quiet.

The sorceress is snickering.

Then, it becomes a full-on laugh. Finally, she rears up, her face to the sky, cackling as if all sanity has left her. She draws both hands together and grits her teeth. The last motes of her spell are drawn in and the ball of Essence shoots into the massive rift behind her.

The ground begins to quake violently…

04b.jpgRound 2

BOOM!!!

Earth and rock explode out of the rift followed by a massive creature. It’s a mass of ancient skulls from long-extinct creatures, flesh from corpses melded to form new thews, and gaping maws filled with all manner of horrific tongue or extremity. Two massive leathery wings spread made from the shapes of faces of the souls used to create it. Several independent undead bodies attached at various locations writhe and cry out for flesh.

Standing at its full length, still in the rift, its upper half is 10 yards tall.

It roars a deafening and unnatural roar.

The Circle on the ridge sees the upper half of a massive creature explode out of the ground behind the obsidian tower where Tyree and Makuro were headed.

Farther away, Embrace and Afureru feel the ground quake.

Makuro feels the ground shake and from his vantage point sees the silhouette of a massive creature behind the tower.

Tyree, you’re up.

Round 1 Initiative
19 Tyree
3 Sorceress

Round 2 Initiative
5 Monstrous Abomination
3 Tyree
3 Sorceress

Esbilon Esbilon Rykon Rykon D. Rex D. Rex Random Word Random Word Teh Frixz Teh Frixz jaydude jaydude

Last edited:
At first, Tyree gives off a wicked grin as her mighty spear attack penetrates into the spellcaster's back. The feeling of glee is quickly replaced with anger as the spell is completed, and the monstrosity is summoned forth from whatever dark recess it was hiding in. If this woman can call forth one of these things this easily, she can probably cause more of the things to be brought forth to aid their efforts to attack Creation. She must be stopped!

With a shifting of her weight, Tyree advances on the wounded woman, her anima starting to burn around her as she directs the tip of the spear out to strike the woman once more.
Going to spend the motes on this:
• Once per day, when she lands a decisive attack that resets her Initiative, she may pay 10 motes, one Willpower to roll Join Battle, adding (highest physical Attribute) non-Charm dice.

This gives me a new Initiative total of 8.

And I'll add another 5m on the Wits Excellency to boost my JB roll, giving me a total roll of 18 dice. In addition to this, I'll pump another 5m into my Strength Excellency and 2m into Unstoppable Beast-Force Blow, letting me double 10's on my damage roll (if I hit again). 9 motes of this came from Peripheral Essence, making her glow.

10 successes on my to-hit roll.
If that hits, I do 3 more levels of Aggravated damage to her

Health Levels
-1 [ ][ ]
I [ ]

Personal: 16 / 0
Peripheral: 38 / 24 / 15
Willpower: 7 / 6

Weapons
Zelator
Two-Handed when on foot

Sherwood Sherwood
The onslaught of the Full Moon Lunar is that of legend. Tyree’s anime burns as she drives her weapon forward once again. Being aware of Tyree, this time, the Abyssal sorceress moves with unnatural speed and motion. She bends away from the Full Moon’s attack. The sorceress’ anima explodes around her: tendrils of regal purple and grays. A half-open circle bleeds on her forehead.

Yet, at the peak of the Abyssal's defensive motion, the tip of Tyree’s spear still connects. The weapon catches the sorceress in the middle of her backward twist. The entire left side of the her abdomen is blown out in a spray of gore.

She stumbles backward keeping her footing, but grabbing her missing mid-section. Blood gushes from the second hole in her body and hisses against the aggravated wound.

The sorceress attempts to disengage and flares her anima in an attempt to leap backward into her created abomination...

[Disengage roll, -4 dice for wound penalties = 1 success]

Round 2 Initiative
5 Monstrous Abomination
3 Tyree

3 Sorceress

She can't spend enough motes to raise her defense high enough against your 10 successes. She only has a hardness of 2 against that special spear of yours.

Health levels before second attack:
[X][X][X][X][X][_][_][_][_]
-0 -1 -1 -1 -2 -2 -2 -4 Inc.

Health levels after second attack:
[X][X][X][X][X][X][X][X][_]
-0 -1 -1 -1 -2 -2 -2 -4 Inc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back