• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Shadows of the Setting Sun (Main)

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Aeliana, The Evervictor

At first It smelled like home for a moment. The air of the north carried a disheartening chill on it each day. It continually ruined the scent of life with its acrid coldness. But to get a whiff of just a river, no iced over banks, no feeling of ice in your nose, just a babbling brook or the feeling of dousing your head in a bucket of river water, it was magical for a moment but then her head broke through.

Aeliana just kept tearing away. It was truly exhilarating. With each handful she felt herself falling deeper into a pit of nothing. It was empty, a void of all, it should have been terrifying. But it wasn’t, it was incredible. If she was something in nothing then she was everything!

The focus leaves her eyes, lost in a haze of joy as her body carried on with the last order her mind gave before becoming lost to void when it grabbed hold of the stone in the center of the being.

The world rushes back into being, dragging the euphoric Aeliana with it. Being snapped back into her body, the rush of physical feeling slaps her back fully. Aeliana had just felt nothing and now was feeling everything!

The goddess was saying something but Aeliana wasn’t listening. She started to laugh uncontrollably, readjusting to being, still not quite able to formulate words. Aeliana just yanked the stone free, giggling at the texture of it before finally noticing the towering creature striking out at her.

Gripping the stone tightly, Aeliana falls straight backwards, letting the momentum carry her, she pivots on her head so for a moment she’s inverted fully before rolling completely over and back onto the balls of her feet, not completely sure as to what happened but pleased that it did.

Charm and dodge for sure.

Drifting leaf Illusion charm I think is applicable here.

The Exalt slips away from an attack that would have struck her. When using this Charm, the Solar successfully evades an attack roll bearing successes equal to her Evasion. This Charm may be invoked after the attack roll is made.

Evasion in this instance would be
Dexterity 5 + Dodge 3 + Dodge excellency (1?) + Stunting (which I have yet to write out ) (2) / 2

which should round me out to an evasion of 5? If it’s rounded up lol. (Either 11/2 or 9/2 idk) Either way it should be just enough to evade being clawed. I’m not sure if I roll it or it’s just an active instant charm thing

Also I love it, let’s go with the intimacy! It fits perfectly. Way too good.

pop-corruption1.jpgAeliana, you flip away from the corruption’s claw as it finishes fully forming.

[Round 2]
Rykon Rykon
Toun, you’re up!

Battlefield zones:
===West bank===
Tyree Icewalker camp
Makuro

===West side of the bridge===
Afureru
Aeliana
Toun
Corruption

===Middle of the bridge===

===East side of the bridge===

===East bank===

Round 2 initiative
22 Toun
3 Makuro
6 Tyree
3 Aeliana
-2 Corruption

Essence: 2; Willpower: 6; Join Battle: 6
Personal motes: 15
Resolve: 4
Guile: 2

Health Levels:
[X] -0
[X][X] -1
[X][X] -2
[_] -4
[_] Inc.

Combat:
Evasion 4, Parry 2
Soak/Hardness: 15/5 (0 because of crashed status)

It shouldn’t have surprised Toun that a river goddess could flood even his mind with such a brief exchange. He could feel the resonant connection with his predecessor’s affliction and this spirit’s own corruption. Yet for all he knew of the terminal nature of the curse, his circle resolved to separate the two essences for all their ignorance of its relentless malignity. This was a feat Whitefang had assured him was not possible. Was this curse simply too young and weak? Was Whitefang’s death truly what he thought it was? Right now there were no answers, merely an insatiable force grasping with barely assembled claws at his new allies. Investigation and introspection had to wait.

The ascendant warrior stood atop a severed tendril now writhing and reeling back to reform with the core. Toun rode the wave, leaping from stream to stream of liquid void now drawn in further contrast by the radiant light reflected by the silver daiklave upon the ancient edifice that strained beneath their conflict. With both the momentum of a bounding sprint and the monster’s own surging assimilation driving him forward, Toun lunges the tip of his blade into the heart of the churning mass of darkness, only to cleave its way back out bathed in a wreath of blue-white flame.

[Toun will spend 5m on a Dexterity Excellency for the attack, 3m for Ferocious Biting Tooth to add 1 Raw Damage(assuming at least 1 threshold success), and Demon Drinking Fang for another 3m to add 3 more Raw Damage and convert the Damage Type to Aggravated. Decisive Attack pool is 16 including the 2 die from a stunt. Raw Damage total is 26A. By the end of the action his anima is now Stage 3 I believe. Bonfire.

7 Attack Success if it’s a 1 point stunt, 9 levels of Agg with permanent destruction on incapacitation.]

Toun, you explode in a bonfire of Essence as you bring your daiklave down into the churning mass of black corruption. Like Luna herself as she alone plunges into the depths of night, your blade cleaves the inky Essence. The blue flames roaring off you ripple through the creature it severs in two. Its shape dissolves into black smoke tendrils that rise and dissipate into nothing as the last of the creature's pained screams fall to silence.

End Combat

The only sound left is the rain pattering on the bridge, river, and trees. A blackened mark is left where the creature once was, like its final moments burned the bridge as it died.

The river stone containing the River Goddess’ Essence dusts in your hand and rises into the gloomy sky. There is a whisper everyone hears if they listen close enough from the Goddess as she dissipates. “Thank you.” The Goddess’ fate and existence was tied directly to that of this creature. Both are now gone forever.

The Icewalkers and their sick stand, sit, and lay in awed silence. Haze and Aaki, just behind the rest on the shore, exchange a look of relief, then look to the sky in contemplation of the passing of the Goddess.

[What do you all do?]

Last edited:
Makuro permitted himself a little smile at their triumph; even though his contribution to the battle had amounted to little more than a single blow, hearing that whisper from the dead goddess gave him the feeling that he and the others had done some good here, however irrelevant to the bigger picture it might be.

He wrapped the chain of the Hundred Rings around his wrist once, then with a thought, shrunk it back down to its bracelet form, the handle disappearing from within his grasp. He then turned to look at the other Celestials that were currently on the bridge with him.

D. Rex D. Rex Rykon Rykon Sherwood Sherwood Teh Frixz Teh Frixz

"I wouldn't mind setting up camp for the night." he said. "But unless any of us are secretly healers, I don't think there's anything we can do for these people. I say we continue onto Marama's Fell tomorrow morning, and perhaps see if we can learn more about these plague walkers along the way."

He was being pragmatic, accepting that in some circumstances, there was nothing that could be done to help.

[Is the downpour mentioned at the start of Scene 3 still ongoing?]

Essence: 1
Personal Essence: 16/16
Peripheral Essence: 32/38

Committed Essence: 5 (Hundred Rings)

Willpower: 6
Join Battle: 7
Health Levels: -0, -1, -1, -2, -2, -2, -2, -2, -2, -4, -4, -4, Inc.
Resolve 4, Guile 4

Attacks
Hundred Rings (13 Withering, 10 Decisive, 14 Damage, Overwhelming 4)
Unarmed (14 Withering, 10 Decisive, 9 Damage, Overwhelming 1)

Actions
Rush: 7 dice
Disengage: 10 dice

Evasion 5, Parry 6
Soak/Hardness: 6/0 (Buff Jacket, +3 Soak)

Cross-legged, Afureru had brought up the back of her hand to her mouth to try and hide the inkling of a pleased smile that she was fighting to keep off her lips.

"See? I told you. It worked out just as I said." She purred with a mixture of delight and surprise. Not at the situation itself, but more of that she had actually been right. In all honesty, she had just been bluffing to try and keep Tuon from feeling any guilt should things have taken a turn for the worse.

At Makuro's suggestion, she sighed. "If we are going to be camping here tonight, I'll see that some of my bands medics can lend what aid they can for tonight. It is the most that I can offer."

At Makuro's suggestion, she sighed. "If we are going to be camping here tonight, I'll see that some of my bands medics can lend what aid they can for tonight. It is the most that I can offer."

"As you wish." replied Makuro, before Afureru's mention of her army made him realize there was something he hadn't considered.

"Those people are camped right in front of the bridge." he said. "Can you get your army through them safely? I doubt that you want your men infected with whatever has afflicted those here..."

Cross-legged, Afureru had brought up the back of her hand to her mouth to try and hide the inkling of a pleased smile that she was fighting to keep off her lips.

"See? I told you. It worked out just as I said." She purred with a mixture of delight and surprise. Not at the situation itself, but more of that she had actually been right. In all honesty, she had just been bluffing to try and keep Tuon from feeling any guilt should things have taken a turn for the worse.
"Did it? This went as I expected." As I hoped. "Just like last time." He replied, sheathing the satiated blade while his anima began the slow process of dimming. The dense white fur that covered him in his new true forms gave way to his usual raiment when Toun resumed his human form. "Had it gone any other way, had the goddess actually survived, it would either mark the beginning of unspeakable torment and pain or call into question what has already been done. What's brought me here. I don't need that kind of doubt and second-guessing right now. We ended her suffering and gave her the chance to finish her life as herself in a glorious contest, dignity intact. That's more than many can say, so I'll take that small victory with a smile."

He exhaled with a sigh of part satisfaction and part concern. Toun looked back at the camp of the ailing White Elks then to the mounting pyre in process. "If only that were the end of it for us. However, that makes two corrupted deities now. Someone or something is out there spreading this... filth." He added with a vague gesture at the blackened marks. "I hope our venture into the shadowland crosses paths with the perpetrator so we can put a stop to this. Otherwise, we could have a very hairy situation if it makes its way to the Syndics or their court."

Tyree drops her combat stance as the tainted spirit is defeated, and walks over to talk to the other Chosen. "Whatever that was inside the spirit may also be the cause of the plague. It may be that stopping one will stop the other. Unfortunately, that still leaves us with the issue of what to do with these sick people. I don't wish to see them suffer, but I am not one to just put them out of their misery if there is any chance at life for them."

"As you wish." replied Makuro, before Afureru's mention of her army made him realize there was something he hadn't considered.

"Those people are camped right in front of the bridge." he said. "Can you get your army through them safely? I doubt that you want your men infected with whatever has afflicted those here..."

The woman frowned, "Well, i was counting on them, after now giving them access to their dead by killing the river, that they would be inclined to get out of our way should I say please."

"I would rather not get them sick, but if this is some sort of plague, then whatever awaits on the other side of the river may be worse. I don't know anything about this sickness, but hopefully these people will give some warnings on how it is spread. I will send them elsewhere if threat of contagion is too much."

"Did it? This went as I expected." As I hoped. "Just like last time." He replied, sheathing the satiated blade while his anima began the slow process of dimming. The dense white fur that covered him in his new true forms gave way to his usual raiment when Toun resumed his human form. "Had it gone any other way, had the goddess actually survived, it would either mark the beginning of unspeakable torment and pain or call into question what has already been done. What's brought me here. I don't need that kind of doubt and second-guessing right now. We ended her suffering and gave her the chance to finish her life as herself in a glorious contest, dignity intact. That's more than many can say, so I'll take that small victory with a smile."

He exhaled with a sigh of part satisfaction and part concern. Toun looked back at the camp of the ailing White Elks then to the mounting pyre in process. "If only that were the end of it for us. However, that makes two corrupted deities now. Someone or something is out there spreading this... filth." He added with a vague gesture at the blackened marks. "I hope our venture into the shadowland crosses paths with the perpetrator so we can put a stop to this. Otherwise, we could have a very hairy situation if it makes its way to the Syndics or their court."

Afureru made a sour face at the comment. Not insulted, though, but rather going over memories in her head. "Give me a little credit, Tuon. I am still new to this whole 'supportive', 'mushy', and 'kindly' sort of attitude. I'm taking a trial by fire approach to this sort of thing, you know."

"Let me try again." She then cleared her throat and gave a bright smile. "You can kill anything you want to. Even a god, if you try hard enough. We have within us the ability to break the eternal to smithereens."

She kept her smile up,"As for any doubt. Simply don't. Not everything can be changed. Sometimes you get the chance to. The past can't be changed, but the future can." Her smile faltered, and she paused, thinking for a moments in silence. It sounded nice, she thought, but also like some sort of empty platitude. She thought of how Farmer Nellen gave uplifting wisdoms based on his life experiences and past mistakes. She wasn't sure how he did that so easily.

Eventually she gave up and shrugged. "Eh.... I'm not really sure how to put it into words. This is harder than I thought..."

Tyree drops her combat stance as the tainted spirit is defeated, and walks over to talk to the other Chosen. "Whatever that was inside the spirit may also be the cause of the plague. It may be that stopping one will stop the other. Unfortunately, that still leaves us with the issue of what to do with these sick people. I don't wish to see them suffer, but I am not one to just put them out of their misery if there is any chance at life for them."

"We most certainly will not end them because of that." She agreed bitterly, not liking the idea at all at killing someone over such a reason.

"Suffering may have to be endured. Until we get a better grip on things or they make that choice themselves on if they want to end it. But if it does to people or animals what it does to that goddess... things will get bad very fast. But it would not be a bad idea have them settle somewhere for the sick only. A refuge where the sick can be sent so it isn't spread elsewhere. And most certainly a place that is off the beaten path and AWAY from a bridge where people might pass by and catch it themselves."

"I agree with Afureru. Right now, the most we can do is try to isolate these people from anyone they might spread the plague to." said Makuro, before he left to find Zoya, Aaki and Haze, in order to inform them of what had been discussed. Presumably they were still near the plague victims, while Sigrdrífa was off dealing with the corpses.

Esbilon Esbilon
"We've dealt with the river goddess. As well as what was apparently corrupting her." he explained calmly. "But I don't know if there's much we can do for these people, besides moving them somewhere they're less likely to affect others. We could perhaps rush back to Whitewall and see if we could find a healer or two, but we might not be able to get them here in time to save anyone."

Surprisingly, he wasn't trying to manipulate her. He was just laying out their options on what they could do now, as he saw them, so that she could make an informed decision on the matter.

[ WlfSamurai WlfSamurai , do you want any of us to make Stamina + Resistance rolls against the virulence of plague (5), to determine whether or not we catch it?]
Peripheral Essence: 31/38

Resolve 4, Guile 4

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 5, Parry 6

"I can't believe you were able to fight . . . that," Ranna says as she approaches you all. "You truly are warriors among the gods, as we have told in legends." She kneels and prostrates herself in front of you all. "Please gods of the Sun and Moon, I beg for what's left of my tribe. Help us. We are dying."

One of the older men (there's only a few men in the group of Icewalkers, it's mostly women and children) creeps forward, visibly shaking, to Ranna. He grabs her arms and motions for her to stand and come away with him. He never takes his eyes off all of you as he does so.

"What?" Ranna snaps at the old man.

"Ranna, leave them be," he replies. "Let them be on their way." Clearly you all scare this man. But there's something more going on in his mind.

Ranna shakes his grip from her arm. "Let go, Urro! They can help!"

The rain has not let up, but has changed from a downpour to a drizzle.

Tyree looks at Ranna and says, "I do not know what help we can provide. None of us are healers, but it may be possible for us to discover the source of this plague and put a stop to it. It could be that there is a cure to be had there."

Afureru’s struggle was endearing even if the magnitude of it was lost on the tribesman at first. Toun started with a chuckle, only to reply with a warm appreciative smile as he tried to dismiss the frustration. “As you wish. You’ll have your credit. I do admire your sincerity and diligence. You and your company already have my favor. What else would you ask of me?”

Toun was conflicted between taking a moment to rest and chat or return to assisting with the pyre. Just the act of assuming the Karkinos' shape was draining enough. It'd be a while before he was in peak form again. To add to his rationalization of laziness, much of the work was already done and there was no obstacle to the tribe tending to their own dead now. Surely that would be for the best, wouldn't it? Either way, the dead will be laid to rest this day and not another.

Then there was Ranna and her sudden plea. It was unconscionable to ignore their cries, yet a warrior of the tundra was not well suited for battling disease in anything short of a literal sense. I guess a disease could die like a river, but I'm liable to catch cross looks from the more 'civilized' folks in our company. Perhaps they'd like to take a stab at this before falling back to a more brutal approach?

With his comrades discussing the matter already now seemed as good a time as any to chime in. "I am content to support any effort to help them recover as best I can, alas medicine and healing are not among my strengths. What of our fellows? Did Whitewall send a healer in our midst? If not, we may have to teach these people's plague the same lesson we taught the river's blight."

While the others have been fighting the fearsome river goddess, Zoya has stayed among the tribesfolk, standing between them and the battle, though if the goddess could break through her more martial fellows, her own chance of stopping her would be slim. She has drawn the cloth-wrapped blade, and though the cloth is still there, some of it has come loose and the blackness of the Soulsteel beneath it can be seen by those with keen eyes.

"This is the same corruption that touched your tribe's totem?" She asks Tuon curiously, "you are sure?"

Turning her attention to the assembled Exalts and the White Elk's leaders, she says "I am no great healer myself, but I can call upon an elemental spirit that can cure the disease if it not the Great Contagion itself. It will take time, however, both for me to call it and for it to heal the tribesfolk."

Makuro's eyes widened at this unexpected stroke of good fortune. If Zoya had a means to save these people, their deaths would not dwell on her conscience.

"How fortuitous. Do you know roughly how much time all of this will take?" he asked, thinking that unless he was needed for anything else, he might as well help set up their own camp or scout ahead in his owl form.

Resolve 4, Guile 4

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 5, Parry 6

"Summoning the spirit will take several hours, and then it must heal one person at a time. I can summon more in succession, but unfortunately the spirit I have in mind, while a powerful healer, does not have a healer's mindset. In particular, I don't trust it to treat these people mercifully if we do not keep its mind fixed on its task."

“Sun and Moon be praised,” Ranna says. “Anything you can do would be welcome!”

The old man shakes his head, disbelieving this will work, and heads back into the camp with the others.

Haze breaks away from Aaki and moves closer to you all. “That could take hours. Maybe even days. Are we really okay delaying? For them?” She looks over at the rag-tag camp of what’s left of the White Elk tribe.

“Not to mention what would happen if we catch…whatever this is…” Aaki says strolling up to join the conversation and making a disgusted face.

D. Rex D. Rex
Just then, Afureru, one of the men from your small army appears out of the forest and approaches you.

“Ma’am,” the soldier, Sergeant Hyrrel, says as he approaches you. He’s the highest rank in your little army and manages the rest through his other “officers,” but reports directly to you. “There were several people who found us as they ran through the forest. We closed ranks around them to protect them. Should we bring them back here? What are your orders?”

"Summoning the spirit will take several hours, and then it must heal one person at a time. I can summon more in succession, but unfortunately the spirit I have in mind, while a powerful healer, does not have a healer's mindset. In particular, I don't trust it to treat these people mercifully if we do not keep its mind fixed on its task."
“Sun and Moon be praised,” Ranna says. “Anything you can do would be welcome!”

The old man shakes his head, disbelieving this will work, and heads back into the camp with the others.

Haze breaks away from Aaki and moves closer to you all. “That could take hours. Maybe even days. Are we really okay delaying? For them?” She looks over at the rag-tag camp of what’s left of the White Elk tribe.

“Not to mention what would happen if we catch…whatever this is…” Aaki says strolling up to join the conversation and making a disgusted face.

Makuro let out a little frustrated sigh once he figured out how long this was going to take. In hindsight, he should have guessed things might be too good to be true here.

He turned to look at Haze and Aaki. "How much longer is it going to take us to reach Marama's Fell?" he asked, currently thinking that at this rate, they might as well split up the party, sending some people onwards while Zoya and the others remained to help the Icewalkers.

Resolve 4, Guile 4

Attacks

Actions

Evasion 5, Parry 6

Last edited:
Aeliana, The Evervictor

The stone in her hand vanished into ash along with the world around her and in that darkened void, the voice of a goddess flowed like a river. It thanked her and slipped away with the stone, leaving Aeliana in a cloud of nothingness.

She stood still for a moment, basking in the empty. Then came the world, dripping in like a watercolor. Only she wasn’t still half lost in the far North, but back in the south lands of her past. The noise of the flowing river the sounds of a bustling city, the chill in the air now just the bite of the uncontested sun. Even the expanse of trees and snowy waste had become the sun dappled homes of countless devotees to the cult of the Evervictor. It was surprisingly good to have returned home.

Aeliana raises her hands up, the Cult cheering in adulation of her victory over the Void, the River, over everything. Her smile wide and eyes glazed, she takes a bow and walks out of the Arena, heading towards the small gathering.

“What a victory! And I had just gone and presumed that none could be wrought from such a battle! I’m so grateful you all managed to bear witness and make it all the way here.

Aeliana stares through Ranna, wondering how the Icewalker managed to find the time to travel so far south.

Sigrdrífa finishes tossing the last of the bodies onto the pyre and makes her way back across the bridge in the drizzle. "I came here to hunt foes worthy of legend, not tend the sick. I will camp here tonight, but I leave in the morning with or without the rest of you," she declares, arms crossed.

She gives Aeliana a flat look of incomprehension, "All the way where? You slowed me down with all your Southern mortals." She leans in slightly to more closely examine Aeliana before continuing, "You're not going to turn all black and melty, too, are you? I will throw you in that river."

Aeliana, The Evervictor

Aeliana looks over at the river, filled to the brim with merchants traveling up and down. Selling their wears and peddling goods. She gave a little wave to one, glad to have made their day with some attention.

“If I were to be melting disposition, I’d be the first to tell you. I’ll also be the first to tell you, please refrain from throwing me in the river. I can’t swim. I’m sure I’d be fished out quickly enough...”

She thinks on the mortals piddling about.

“All these people will come in handy eventually, I’m sure of it. I imagine you want more out of life than slaying great beasts? I’m sure we can find a few brewers or bakers around here. Especially as we start expanding the city. But don’t fret! I’ll be heading out with you, hells or high water.”

The Spirits speak wisdom through the rambling of the mad, but Sigrdrífa is no shaman and has no desire to build a city anywhere, let alone on this quite literally Spirits-forsaken bridge on the edge of a shadowland. "You can't drown," she declares patronisingly, as if to a child convinced there are monsters lurking in her bedroll, " You're Sun-Chosen, remember? You could stand on the bottom of that river until the turning of the moon and only the boredom might kill you."

Wisdom aside, a mad Sun-Chosen sounded like a problem. Sigrdrífa has no more idea how to glean insight from Aeliana's madness than cure it. More from life than slay- of course! Maybe if she gets drunk enough she'll pass out and be back to whatever passes for normal by morning. "You're right! Even better than slaying great beasts is celebrating the slaying of great beasts. We have to celebrate your great victory. Somewhere amongst all those mortals you must have drink, yes? The brewers. Find the brewers."

Last edited:
Tyree lets out a sigh. "We are hardly in a position to celebrate. These people are in bad shape, and I for one am interested in getting some answers about just how these plague carriers are spreading this disease. It must be stopped."

Aeliana, The Evervictor

“Didn’t we just stop it? That thing was making even a god sick, Toun and I obliterated it. This is a problem for healers to work over and priests to pray over. There’s likely both just around the corner and both are far more useful than I, and while I mean no offense, Sigrdrífa possibly would or could be.”

Aeliana’s head lolls while she half focuses on her words and on the new realization that she can’t drown.

“Until we have a proper arena in this city to fight in or we have some need in which we may be useful, I’m tempted to see that if I can’t drown in water, perhaps I can in drink! I’d wager that the followers have sacramental wine stowed away somewhere..”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back