• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Shadows in the Moonlight {SavannahSmiles & Tarmagon}

SavannahSmiles

вσ∂у ιη тнє αвуѕѕ, нєαят ιη ραяα∂ιѕє
Aislinn huffed, brushing her sweaty bangs back from her eyes as she scanned her surroundings. The small apartment wasn't much, but with it being just her, it suited just fine. She didn't even mind that her living room was technically her bedroom and her kitchen was tiny and felt like a cramped closet. It was clean, the wallpaper was actually still in one piece and her landlady was a sweet old woman that had already taken to visiting Aislinn every other day with a plate of sweets she had baked. Though Aislinn had a sneaking suspicion that she reminded the old woman of her own daughter who had passed away and by visiting Aislinn, the old woman had someone to talk to. But Aislinn wouldn't complain, it was nice to have someone to talk to during the day. Humming to herself, she folded up the last empty box and stored them away, nodding in satisfaction at her apartment. She didn't many things, but there were enough to make the small space feel like home. She glanced at the time and saw it was a little after six in the evening. She hadn't had time to go grocery shopping yet, so she grabbed her shoes and jacket and made for the door. Coming from a state where it hardly ever dropped below sixty degrees, she was a little shocked at how cold it already was for August. Perhaps being so close to the mountains had something to do with it.

Whatever the case, she had always preferred colder temperatures anyway, so she was perfectly happy with the weather. Shrugging on her jacket, she locked her apartment and headed down the stairs, the chilly wind blowing strands of her hair around her face as she hit the sidewalk and started down the street. She had yet to explore the small town she called home, but she had seen enough to know there was a small diner a little ways from the cafe she worked at; it would make a perfect place to eat dinner. As she walked, she passed by people heading off to do who knows what, and she tried to ignore all the stares she was receiving. She knew with it being such a small town, everyone most likely knew everyone, but did every single person she came across have to stare at her? It was a little unnerving, to say the least.

She eventually reached the small diner and stepped inside, the smell of food and coffee drifting around her. She shrugged out of her jacket and took a seat at a booth, a waitress hurrying over in no time to take her order. "Hey darling, what can I start you off with?" The waitress asked her in a cheerful tone. Aislinn gave her a small smile as she hesitantly asked if she could have some coffee. "Sure thing! I'll be right back with that." The waitress bustled off and Aislinn looked down at the screen of her phone, browsing around as she waited patiently.

Ryan finished off the last bit of pie with a contented sigh. It was a good thing he only permitted himself one visit per week to the Timberwolf, otherwise the wonderful food the cook and his wife produced would have him blowing up like a balloon. Looking up, he waved at Kathy, who was just walking away from a table with a single occupant and appeared to be heading to the waitress' station. Kathy smiled and detoured over to his table with a bright smile.

"What can I get you Ryan?" she asked cheerfully. Ryan had no idea how she managed to stay so positive and upbeat all day long, but she always seemed to have a smile and a kind word for everyone.

"Just the check Kath," Ryan replied. "And tell Lois that the pie was heavenly today. I think it was one of her best I've tasted so far."

"Just be a sec," Kathy replied. "Got to grab a cup of coffee for the new girl, but I'll drop the check off on my way by."

Ryan took a moment to glance over at the table Kathy had just left and study its occupant. A slight figure, topped by long brown hair that spilled down her back in gentle waves. Ryan couldn't see her eyes, since like most people these days, she had her nose buried in her phone. She looked to be college aged maybe, it was kind of hard to tell with her face down, and Ryan suppressed a chuckle.

"Probably out 'roughing it' for a term," he thought. "Of course, there are worse places than this to spend some time."

Ryan had washed up in Half-Moon Falls about a month ago, putting an end to a trip that had started in North Carolina and lasted weeks before he had pulled into Hank's Place for gas. The 'mechanic wanted' sign had caught his eye, and he had been tired of driving aimlessly, and so he had become Hank's new mechanic. Usually little towns like this were full of standoffish people, but it seemed that folks trusted Hank's judgement, so Ryan hadn't had any difficulties finding a place to park his small RV for a reasonable rent. He had been a bit surprised to discover the majority of the small town's population were, of a similar nature as Ryan himself. A quiet round of diplomacy later, Ryan had found himself welcomed by the locals completely. Things might have been a little tense for a day or two between Ryan and Carl, the local mayor, but once Ryan had made it clear that he had no intention of running for office, now or in the future, things had smoothed over.

"Here you go Ryan," Kathy said, cutting off his musings about the past and returning him to the present. "We'll see you... oh crap."

Ryan looked up sharply at Kathy's exclamation, and saw her attention was on the door. A group of four boys, ages ranging from mid to late teens, had entered the diner and were making a beeline for the girl still looking at her phone. Kathy was starting to turn towards the kitchen, but Ryan laid a hand on her arm.

"I'll deal with this," he said quietly. "No need to call Carl."

Kathy nodded her agreement, but looked a little dubious as Ryan dropped a twenty on the table and rose, heading for the developing tableau.

"Well, aren't you just a little thing?" the leader of the little group said, standing just behind the seated woman. "Do your parents know you're out all by yourself?"

The rest of the group started to hoot with laughter, but the young woman studiously ignored them, keeping her gaze fixed on her phone.

"I'm talking to you," the leader, Carl's son Simon practically snarled, reaching out to grab the young woman's shoulder. "Pay attention to your betters, sh..."

"I'd not finish that thought Simon," Ryan said, his voice quiet. The other three boys went immediately silent as Ryan spoke, their postures shifting subtly. "I think that this young woman is just trying to enjoy her dinner, and shouldn't have to put up with posturing so you can look good in front of your friends."

Simon looked up sharply, his eyes angry and mouth open and ready to deliver a sharp set-down to whoever had interrupted his fun, but when he saw Ryan, his mouth closed with a snap. His eyes stayed defiant though, and Ryan could see his jaw flexing.

"Now, I'm quite certain that your father wouldn't approve of this in the slightest," Ryan continued conversationally, ignoring the glare Simon gave him. "And I'm also sure that Mike and Joan don't appreciate you bothering their customers. So, why don't the four of you just Go. Go now."

The timbre of Ryan's voice changed on the last three words, and the small group turned on their heels and headed for the door. Simon's cronies practically ran out of the diner, but Simon took his time, casting murderous glances back at Ryan as he departed. Ryan sighed and turned his attention to the young woman who had been the target of Simon's attentions.

"Please, don't mind that bunch," he said in a soothing voice. "Their bark is much worse than their bite, and when they get bored, they get rambunctious. Please enjoy your dinner."

SavannahSmiles SavannahSmiles
(Young werewolves... what's a body to do?)

As Aislinn waited patiently for the waitress to bring her the coffee she had ordered, she heard the faint sound of the bell above the door chime, coupled with the sound of rowdy voices that spilled into the room. Startled by the noise, she glanced up to see four teenagers spill into the room. Instead of immediately glancing down as was habit for her, she had the misfortune of meeting the gaze of who seemed to be the leader among the group. The boy’s lips turned up into a smirk and that was when Aislinn dropped her gaze down to her phone screen, though she was hardly focusing on it as she prayed the boys sat down and didn’t bother her. However, the universe seemed to be against her as she heard the tell-tale sound of heels clicking against linoleum and it was heading her way.

She kept her head bowed though she could definitely feel when the group stopped just behind her. Aislinn remained facing forward, refusing to acknowledge them. Perhaps if she showed no response to them, they would grow bored and leave her be. However, again, the universe seemed to love torturing her for sport. “Well, aren’t you just a little thing?” A voice purred behind her and she frowned in indignation. Sure, she was a bit on the short side for her age, but did that really merit that type of comment? Besides, she was several years older than him, she was sure! She continued to ignore him, though she stiffened at the parent comment. Kind of hard for her parents to know she was anywhere, considering she had buried them in the ground nearly two years ago.

However, as much as she wanted to snap at them, she held her tongue and continued to stare down at her phone like it was the most interesting thing in the world. But it seemed her silent treatment only served the anger the boy and her entire body froze when she felt a hand grab her shoulder quite harshly. Her brain locked up and panic skittered down her spine, wide-eyes staring straight ahead as her body struggled with a fight or flight response, Aislinn leaning much more towards the flight response; violence didn’t sit well with her.

Her savior came in the form of a voice that sent shivers down Aislinn spine for reasons other than fear and she broke from her trance to glance up and the side, spotting a man standing there eyeing the boy behind her. When the man asked- no, demanded the boy and his friends go, the group tucked their tails and ran. It took Aislinn several moments before she could gather her wits together and calm herself down. It took her several more minutes for her to realize her savior was speaking to her. “Thank you for stepping in, sir.” She said in a voice barely above a whisper, peeking up at him with eyes the color of sapphires.

It was at that moment that the waitress, Kathy her name-tag read- set a cup of coffee and a small slice of apple pie in a take-out container down in front of her. When Aislinn spotted the pie, she opened her mouth to protest but the older women wouldn’t hear a word of it. “It’s on the house dear.” She told Aislinn, having seen how shaken the young women had become during her confrontation with the group of boys. “Thank you.” Aislinn said in a soft voice, tucking a lock of hair behind her ear as Kathy asked her what she would like to order for dinner. Aislinn rattled off her order as she felt the last traces of panic leach from her body. It was going to be okay, she was going to be okay. It wasn’t going to be like last time, she tried to tell herself.

“Thank you for stepping in, sir,” the young woman said after the pack of boys had left, and she had gathered her wits once more. She shot a glance up at Ryan, giving him a glance into eyes so blue they reminded him of sapphires. Though she dropped her eyes as Kathy arrived with her coffee and a slice of pie, Ryan remained frozen in place by that momentary glance. For the barest fraction of a second, those blue eyes hadn't looked blue at all, but instead had been the luminous silver of a full moon riding high in a cobalt sky.

Ryan shook off the odd vision as the young woman thanked Kathy for the slice of pie, then gave the waitress her dinner order. Ryan waited politely until Kathy had left to put the order in before speaking once more.

"It wasn't a problem ma'am," Ryan said. "I'm sorry that Simon and his bunch bothered you at all. He just hasn't been the same since his mother passed away, at least according to everyone who knew him before she passed. And, the name's Ryan, not sir."

Before he could say anything more, Ryan's watch gave an insistent beep, capturing his attention immediately.

"I'm afraid I have to run," he said. "Hank wants to head home early, so I need to run so I can close up the shop. Enjoy your dinner miss, and if those ruffians give you any more trouble, please drop by Hank's Place and let me know."

Ryan nodded to the young woman, not really certain if she saw him, and headed for the door. He paused for a moment to speak to Kathy and pass her another bill. It wasn't like he really had many needs here, and the young woman had certainly appeared shaken by the encounter with the young toughs. He just wished he could be there to see her expression when Kathy told her the bill had already been paid. Chuckling to himself, Ryan left the TImberwolf and headed out in to the gathering gloom, making his way quickly to Hank's Place. The service station owner was indeed waiting, though not with any signs of impatience, as Ryan walked up.

"Would you mind finishing Matilda's car tonight?" Hank asked as Ryan slipped his coveralls over his clothes. "She called and said there's been a family emergency, and she needs to head for Nevada tomorrow as early as she can."

"Brakes, right?" Ryan asked, even as he nodded his assent.

"Yep. Everything's here, including new rotors and pads. They just need to be installed."

"I've got it Hank," Ryan said, turning to head for the garage section of the gas station. "Go home, enjoy the evening with Rose. I should be done by ten, and I'll lock up for you."

"Thanks Ryan," Hank said, heading for the door. "I left a couple of beers in the fridge if you get thirsty. Go ahead and sleep in tomorrow. I'll open."

"Will do boss," Ryan replied, his mind already on the work. He heard the front door close, and after a moments thought, he turned and locked it. Anyone who wanted anything would see the bay door open, and could just walk around and get his attention. Flipping the radio from Hank's favorite country station to something a little more, exciting, Ryan grabbed his tools and set to work, humming along with the music as he worked, the odd encounter of earlier lost in his attention to the job at hand.

SavannahSmiles SavannahSmiles
(Busy, busy, busy.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back