• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Setting Summer Dawn

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Crow had been rendered speechless by the whole turn of events. Between the drow having discovered them and the swift return of Alistair, there wasn’t much more he needed to do besides wipe the sweat from his glowing forehead. He eased himself into the residence, willingly seating himself by the strange reproduction of a fire.

The halfbreed glanced out the corner of his eye at the harsh rejection of help and hospitality. His scowl grew more intense with each blunder. He finally shook his head as Alistair—the same Alistair that had narrowly avoided being crushed—staggered outside. “There is a fine line between ‘healthy pride’ and both definitions of ‘audacity’,” Crow chided sternly. His tone and expression then softened as his head swiveled to face Caldorithe. “Regardless, it would be... improper for me to decline such hospitality, given a few of us are in no condition to brazenly charge ahead. Thank you, sir.” With that, he graciously accepted the water.

SilverFlight SilverFlight Zazz Zazz LazyDaze LazyDaze Flutterby Flutterby Lioness075 Lioness075 Baconhands Baconhands Naberius Naberius

Leandra.jpg
Name: Leandra LaFraeNickname: Lea
Race: Tabaxi - BeastwomanHome Country: Cyndara
Occupation: Huntress / Astronomer ApprenticeEquipment: Knapsack, Bow, Quiver of Arrows (19/20), Twin Daggers, Collapsible Spyglass, Soiled Sketchbook, Charcoal Pieces
Falarion.jpg

When their hygiene was brought up again, Leandra subconsciously sniffed at one of her underarms and immediately winced before waving a paw in front of her nose. He was not wrong.

As Alistair was helped over to some fire crystals, Leandra trailed after him, her curiosity piqued yet again. She peered over his shoulder to see the fire crystals and her mouth formed an 'o', as she realized it was just another version of a fireplace.

Falarion leapt down from Leandra's shoulder and trotted over to the fireplace, curling up near the heat.

Just as Lohrithe's father handed out their drinks, Alistair was up and stumbling back towards the entrance. Leandra blinked in surprise, her tail flickering back and forth in annoyance at the masked man's stubbornness.
With a sigh, she picked up the drink that had been offered to him and muttered an apology to the group before trailing after Alistair. She had to wonder if their escapades would kill him first or if he would kill himself.

Exiting the building, Leandra paused to take in the beauty of the city that lay before her. She was constantly amazed at the new sights and experiences with this group. It was such an odd and ragtag team, but that made it all the better to her.

Remembering why she had come out here to begin with, Leandra blinked out of her trance and turned to look for Alistair. She tilted her head from side to side, flickering her ears about, as she listened for any sign of him. Hearing a groan and the sound of someone seemingly falling over, Leandra furrowed her brows before making her way over to a nearby alley.
Turning around the corner, Leandra halted when she saw Alistair sitting down against one of the walls, looking as if he were already unconscious. Making a "tsking" noise, Leandra walked over to Alistair's side before sitting down beside him.
If there was one habit she had picked up on back home, it was looking out for others who were ignored by the majority. After all, she had been forced to look after herself for most of her life and she did not wish that upon anyone else.

Setting down the drinks between the two of them, Leandra turned herself so she was facing Alistair's side and was sitting cross-legged. She reached out to flick him on the cheek, not entirely sure how else to wake him. She did consider tossing his drink in his face, but felt that might not come across well.
"Oi, this really isn't the place for a nap."

It was then that Leandra finally noticed his facial features and she blinked in mild surprise to realize he was like Azaria with the pointy ears. But she narrowed her eyes and noticed that he had a faint complexion that was more similar to Lohrithe. Yet, his pointy ears were not as pointed as theirs. Unable to keep herself from staring, Leandra felt more confused by his appearance than anything else.

Naberius Naberius Zazz Zazz SilverFlight SilverFlight

Ora could only roll her eyes as Alistair pulled away, bumbling about and babbling about how he was a very, very tough guy who didn't need any sort of assistance or care because of how brave and emotionally stunted he was. After he pulled away from her, she didn't have the energy to insist on helping him. If he wanted to die after they all thought he was saved- well, that one was a lot easier to explain to Gideon. Besides, the little beastwoman was following him. If anything happened, they would know soon enough.

She retrieved a cup of water for herself and one for Crispin, handing it to him near the fireplace without a flame.

As the older drow- Lohr's father- eyed Desrick and asked the question, Ora looked up from her cup.
"Not enough," She said calmly, holding in a sigh.
"It's hard to say. We may have slowed them down a little, but we lost some time with the cave-ins, so... they could be a few round-marks behind, but may be closer. They wouldn't have wasted much time in regrouping and getting here. There.. could be scouts already here." In her mind's eye, she saw Lassard stepping into view, in front of them. Blocking their path. It would be the smart thing to send scouts. Especially when those scouts could be taught to turn themselves invisible with Lassard's unique magic.

She detested being so unsure, so nonspecific, but they didn't even know how long they themselves had been in those tunnels. Had their path been shorter or longer than the one the army would take? Had they left the same day, or had the chaos of Dwerstand pulling out delayed them? Did they stop and sleep, to save their strength, or did they travel straight through to keep the element of surprise?
There was just no way of knowing for sure. And being unprepared would be the end of them.

"Time really is of the essence." Ora glanced Desrick and his condition, but even knowing they all looked and smelled horrid, she still said, "Even a bath could be a risk."
SilverFlight SilverFlight Zazz Zazz LazyDaze LazyDaze Goonfire Goonfire

((Collab with Zazz Zazz ))

Pyrrhus watched Alistair's behaviour with the patience of a parent for an ill-tempered child. The centaur flicked his tail, visibly annoyed. He thanked their host graciously for the kindness and followed their newest party member.
He wasn't surprised then the man collapsed, and sighed, making his way over to Leandra.
"Such drama. I can't I'd like to claim responsibility for this sort."
Pyrrhus picked him up with little effort, placing him across his equine shoulders.
"Come on, we'd better get him sorted inside."

Pyrrhus requested a room on the ground floor, so he could come and go easily to treat the man. He removed Alistair's armour and padding and tended wounds as he found them, pouring a little magic into his hands as he worked.
"You'll have quite the headache when you wake up, but you will live." He told the unconscious body. "And I will need a good long nap after this. This entire journey is testing my stamina."
Lioness075 Lioness075 Naberius Naberius

Desrick nodded with Ora. "Honestly, the fact that we arrived before them is a blessing." Tired and sore as he was from days on the trail and the battle with the giant insect, Desrick stood.
"A bath then, and perhaps something to make my outfit a bit more...presentable." He had heard Lohr speak only a little of the council, from what Desrick gathered, he would need to make an impression.
"I would like Ora at least to speak with me." He turned to his dwarf friend with a nod. "Ora of the Silver Tongue." He brought up her old epithet with a teasing respect.
"We will need tact, and presentation if we are to persuade the council of anything. For now, Caldorithe, if I could impose upon you, send scouts to the South-Eastern tunnels. Tell them to keep a vigilant eye. Lassard's tricks are good, but even he cannot shield an entire army from all the ability of the drow."
He turned to Lohr and spoke softly in Orcish:
"Rest My Heart, let our healers treat you, I think I can manage to bathe myself at least without help."
"Did you say bath?" Pyrrhus poked his head out of the room for a moment. "Not to denounce the urgency of our situation, but I would absolutely love a bath."

The elder drow's brow furrowed a hint at Ora's explanation of the situation. Though, the orc was right; the council would likely turn their noses - literally - if the group approached in the state they were in. "You will need clothes," he thought out loud, already planning their outfits. Lohrithe cut in suddenly. "I have something for you. Wait here." He ran off into the dwelling, disappearing for a few moments. "Ah! Where are my manners? I am Caldorithe, Lohrithe's father. I reckon you all have names, yes?" Lohrithe returned, grinning ear to ear, and presented a dark blue garment embroidered with silver thread. The material was the softest the orc had likely ever touched, made of drowish spider silk.

Desrick bowed his head and presented the team one by one, accounting for the members who were not currently present. When Lohr returned with the vest the orc stared in wonder. It was the most beautiful garment he was ever likely to wear, even the finery of the court at Brynson paled in comparison. He reached out to run a hand down the soft fabric, noting that it had been cut in precisely his size. He glanced up at Lohr, unable to prevent a loving smile appearing on his face. Desrick wanted to catch Lohr up and hug him tightly, but he was still aware that Caldorithe did not know precisely what type of bond his son shared with the orc, so he could only smile.

Lohrithe was delighted that his boyfriend liked his gift. He had had it made some time ago, before the end of the world, but had never quite passed it on. Behind his son, Caldorithe watched the two interact with a twinkle in his dark eyes.
"Well, I think it would be best if you all found water promptly. The sooner you are clean, the sooner you can have an audience with the Council. I will have towels and clothing sent over."
He looked over the group once more, noticing their wounds and tiredness.
"Perhaps a healer or two might be wise." With that, he nodded and left the strangers in his house.
Lohrithe patted the orc's chest. "To the baths, then?"

Crispin accepted the cup gratefully from Ora, and while his brother and others went to prepare, he told Caldorithe all they knew about the high elves, Lassard and their plan.
"There really is a dragon underneath Dwerstand." Crispin confirmed darkly. "And Lassard has a good number of the crystals I mentioned, perhaps almost all of them. The only one we know he does not have...is in Myst. If he gets the last one...I am truly afraid of what might happen."

Desrick returned not long after, clean, with his dark hair half tied back and pinned in a small topknot. He had braided silver beads into it too to match the vest Lohr had given him, a beautiful dark blue with silver thread embroidering every inch in swirling patterns. It was left open across his broad, green chest. There was a silver chain at his waist too, set with moonstones and his leather bracers had been augmented with silver studs. With the garment and the accents, he cut a striking figure.
"I would be glad of any company," He spoke to his team, "but I urge you all to rest. We do not know when we may need to move again."

Flutterby Flutterby Zazz Zazz LazyDaze LazyDaze Goonfire Goonfire Lioness075 Lioness075 Naberius Naberius

Last edited:
A bath was a very, very welcome thought for the elven assassin. She was quite aware of their stench. Soon enough, with Caldorithe off running errands, there was a knock on the door; an elderly healer entered the home, her male apprentice on her heels. The two of them stopped to look at the group - the younger more so than the elder - before Lohrithe led them to the room where Alistair lay unconscious. The healer did, however, openly stare at the centaur. The drow were not accustomed to strangers in their midst.

Not long after, Lohrithe led the rest to the bathing pools. They were hidden behind rock, and steam filled the air with moisture. Caldorithe had worked fast; a stack of towels had already arrived for them. The few locals who were present eyed them warily, some even choosing to leave before all their filth muddied up the water.

Azaria, ever the immodest, seemed to either ignore or fail to notice the curious stares, and promptly stripped. Once submerged she loosed her long hair and took one of the bars of soap Lohrithe had brought. Lohrithe, having grown up there, was likewise unashamed of his body and quickly sank into the pleasant water.

_____

New clothing awaited them; a pair of dark elves had brought them into the next area where the steam was less pervasive. Caldorithe had even thought to have tail holes stitched for both Leandra and Ora, having secretly noted the designs of their pants on his way out.

Back at Lohrithe's home, Lohrithe helped his father lay out an arrangement of food for his friends. Roasted chaurus, fruits gathered from above ground, vegetables grown both above and below ground. Mushrooms of various colours. Wyvern egg soup. Caldorithe pulled out a bottle of a fruity wine and poured himself a glass. "My, my. What a handsome man," said Cal over his glass, gesturing to Desrick with an open hand. "Surely you will at least win the Council's attention." He winked and turned his attention to Oralia. "And a beautiful lady, indeed. How fares your tail, my dear? Turn," he demanded playfully, making a spinning motion with his free hand.

Azaria came forth and placed a hand on Ora's shoulder. "I will join you, if you don't mind." She wore the colour of midnight's eve, a slight purple hue to the black and silver garments. Her hair was braided back on one side, and cascaded down the other. She was, of course, subtly armed.

Leandra.jpg
Occupation: Huntress / Astronomer ApprenticeEquipment: Knapsack, Bow, Quiver of Arrows (19/20), Twin Daggers, Collapsible Spyglass, Soiled Sketchbook, Charcoal Pieces
Falarion.jpg

Leandra's ears flickered backwards when she heard hooves approaching. She assumed it was Pyrrhus and turned to look as he turned the corner. She was about to ask why he was here when he promptly picked up Alistair and carried him away with ease.
Leandra blinked at this and then looked back down at their drinks before snatching them and hurrying after Pyrrhus.

Once back inside, Leandra set down Alistair's water on a table near his bed and then sat in a chair to sip at her own.
Pyrrhus began mending Alistair's wounds with his healing magic and Leandra forgot about her drink as she watched with fascination and wide eyes. She had seen some magic here and there back home, but had no experience with it herself and thus, was amazed at how it worked.
Sighing, Leandra said quietly, "Thank you, Pyrrhus. I worry his sheer stubbornness will kill him before anything else does."
It was an odd feeling to be worrying about someone she barely knew, yet Leandra felt a kinship to certain members of the group. With Alistair, she felt as if they could perhaps relate to being the outcasts of the group. She had been something of an outcast back home and now in this group, she still was unsure of how she fit in with them. At least Azaria seemed to care for her. Ora, too, though she had a tendency to be very blunt and it was off-putting to Leandra at times.

Naberius Naberius SilverFlight SilverFlight

By the time the healers arrived to look after Alistair, Leandra had nodded off in her chair and was dozing with a soft purr between breaths.
Falarion had caught sight of Leandra entering earlier and after a series of slow cat stretches, he padded into the room Alistair was in now. Seeing where Leandra was dozing, Falarion trotted over and then promptly curled up at her feet with his back against one of her ankles.

Leandra woke with a start when the healers came in to start their work, her cat eyes staring far more intensely than she intended. Anxiety began to rise, as Leandra had no idea what to say to the Drow.
Stammering, Leandra said, "H-hi. I'm Leandra and this is Ali-stair." She winced as she imagined she was probably butchering the pronunciation of his name.
"Um, he was in cave-in and got hurt. Please help him however you can."
Leandra began to rub the back of her neck just as Falarion leapt up into her lap and she stifled a squeal of surprise. As Falarion curled up once more, Leandra relaxed a bit and began running her claws through his fur, scratching him behind his ears just as he liked.

Forgetting about their much needed baths, Leandra continued to sit in the room with the healers and Alistair.

Zazz Zazz Naberius Naberius

Last edited:
Ora gave Desrick a chiding smile and a small snort, but nodded in agreement. The reminder of their beginning was so very bittersweet, especially now that they had returned to the mystlands. She gave herself a moment to picture another orc- recalling Burgren's face was easier here, somehow. It chased away some of her weariness, steadied her resolve. She was still a little warrior, even though a nap was all she could think about then.

She went without question for a bath, and only hesitated for a moment before conforming to what was, apparently, local custom. The water was hot and warmed her all the way through, chasing away the chill that had settled in the damp tunnels. It stung too, in the scrapes and bumps she didn't really know were there. Ora wanted to sit and soak and then sleep.. But she diligently soap and scrubbed and rubbed, until she was presentable to the court.

When she dressed, she realized that not only had someone taken note of her size, but also the special design of her trousers and the hue of what she had come in. The black pants were soft and warm against her skin, and stitched very carefully in the same manner as her own. The blouse they had brought her wasn't the obvious red-maroon she had arrived in, but it was a wine-tinged-purple that very nearly matched her birthmarks. Briefly, she wondered about the choice. Was this their only very-small shirt, or do they coordinate their clothes with other features culturally?
In another lifetime, she might have assumed they were making fun of her.
She took extra care with her hair, creating a braid along the top of her head with the hair above her horns, and leaving the rest free. There were silver baubles and ribbon left with her clothing, and she used them to ornament her hair much in the way Desrick had, she realized when she emerged. Ora felt profound relief when she found the silver and green ring still in her pack, and she seated it firmly on her horn once again.

The smell of food cut off the last of her fussing, and she returned to find quite the spread.
With a small smirk, she willingly gave a twirl, allowing herself to enjoy the flow of the sleeves she wore.
"Someone," She said warmly, "Is very talented at their trade. It took me years to find the right modification, and yet it was replicated in minutes. My compliments, and gratitude." It didn't even occur to her that the first time his son had called her beautiful, she had almost taken his head off.

A hand came to rest on her shoulder, and Ora looked up to find Azaria there. "Of course, can't go anywhere without my most terrifying companion." She said it softly, as a private joke, but there was nervousness beginning to sneak into her voice and the corners of her mouth, as the warmth of the bath faded and cold reality set in again.

SilverFlight SilverFlight Zazz Zazz

After Alistairs "death", many things happened...the most noticeable, besides Crispin becoming a shish ka bob, was escaping that dreaded tunnel into the free darkness. It was strange being beyond the Myst yet again. For some reason, he felt as if he blended between two different fabrics of the universe. The only way to describe this comforting unknown was a foreign home. Unlike the shining light that brought warmth, sight, and uncovered the darkness, the darkness shrouded the light, hid that which need not be seen, and enveloped him in a calming peace that was almost...melancholy? It confused Iolas very much, but it brought back memories of how he traversed the night on his own for a time. Part of him was still wary of how others would perceive him, but he was certain that his comrades would eventually work everything out as long as he didn't make any waves. Speaking of waves, Iolas's ears also twitched at the prospect of taking a bath. If there was one old custom he never dreaded, it was remaining clean...or as clean as possible. Aside from a nasty tumble that nearly drowned him, he had not been able stay as pristine as he would have liked. No one really knew when they would get this chance again; there were many battles ahead.

Like everyone else he made his way toward the bath house. Apparently the local custom had a few peculiar ways about it. It wasn't as if he hadn't been to such a situation before, but for some reason this was different. He hadn't been particularly close to anyone enough to care what they would think, to care what he would think. He suddenly had a strange thought of naked Crow bearing all for him to see, and he immediately shook his head. However, there was a silver lining, most of the locals were exiting upon their arrival. This meant less prying eyes. Once he finally entered after the others. He couldn't help but notice how quickly the others removed their clothes so quickly. For a moment he couldn't take his eye off of Azaria's hair. He couldn't remember if he ever saw her hair down like this, but with the colors of the city, and the tranquility of the water, he knew he would be lost in that world for days if he didn't cut his thoughts there. He wasn't sure what to make of her...themselves. The closer he got to happiness, the more he questioned it. He couldn't help but have an ominous feeling that something bad would happen. It was as if...this feeling were a taboo, something neither of them deserved if they truly felt anything at all. He bit the inside of his cheek, a bit ashamed for allowing his mind to wander instead of remaining focused as it often was. A naked Lorhithe made doubly sure he stayed in reality. Iolas removed his clothes as well, revealing the many unhealed scars attained from his battles in the wilderness. He wrapped a towel around himself and sunk in the water as well as he closed his eyes. He would be sure to enjoy this moment of peace however long it lasted.

Zazz Zazz

8ff467479537313d10facd40a1a1046b.jpg
Alistair

It happened very suddenly. Honestly he didn't even feel the black out coming until he had already hit the ground. He was far more exhausted than he lead on, but more than that, the large rock that hat struck his head had done more damage than was first apparent. The gash above his eye was not the extent, but covered the rest well. There was a small crack in his skull from the impact, and his brain had bruised from the jolt. He needed medical attention but refused to allow something so insignificant to slow him down. That was the last thought he had before waking up in that bed sometime later, wearing only his pants. He sat up slowly, head throbbing but otherwise mostly fine. At least he could see and hear normally, and he had regained at least some small measure of stamina during the past little while. Looking around the room, he noticed the feline-like member of their rag tag band asleep in a chair nearby. He did his best not to wake her with his movements, throwing off the covers and looking for his clothing. He had to cover himself, the pale flesh of his torso and abdomen, and even parts of his arms were covered in a patchwork of different scars. Wounds from arrows, knives, swords, spears, one very unfortunate burn on his side, and several marks from different wild beasts all found a home on his body somewhere.

Standing fully, he wobbled a little. His legs were still rather noodle-like and he had to hold onto the bed for support as he made his way to his old clothes....That weren't there any longer. Someone had exchanged them for clothing he wasn't familiar with, but was of rather high quality. His possessions were still there at least, the long dagger and plate-mail, the sheath and other small things he kept in his cloak pockets. The padded leather armor was there as well, but not his usual clothing. Grumbling, he dressed in the dark colored clothing he had been given (See attached picture, but smaller cuffs) and sat back down before he managed to fall over a second time. He didn't know how long he'd been out, but it felt like at least several hours. The others were no doubt busy doing whatever they decided to get up to, and he wasn't planning on leaving the confines of that room for some time. He did hear the sounds of the others, and smelled food. His stomach made several noises but he stubbornly refused to leave. Instead he fished a packet of dried fruit and jerky from one of his cloak pockets and made a meager meal from it. It would have to do. Eventually he looked to the woman sitting nearby and frowned.

"So, do they have you watching me or did you just take it upon yourself to look over the miserable wretch that couldn't even stay on his own feet?"

SilverFlight SilverFlight Lioness075 Lioness075 Zazz Zazz Flutterby Flutterby Goonfire Goonfire LazyDaze LazyDaze

Leandra.jpg
Falarion.jpg

When the healers concluded their work with Alistair, Leandra sat back in her chair and heaved a sigh of relief that Alistair was going to be okay. She had no idea just how stressful it would be to join this ragtag group of adventurers. Had she known beforehand, perhaps she would have turned around and returned to her quiet lifestyle back home with Falarion in tow. Yet, she would have missed the new friends she was making. It was very conflicting the more she thought about it, as there were positive aspects to joining this odd group.

Curling up to get more comfortable, Leandra tucked her knees into the chair against her chest and Falarion crawled into her lap before softly butting his head against her face. Smiling, Leandra bumped softly into his own head and Falarion purred at the response.
The quiet environment began lulling her back to sleep and Leandra was practically asleep when Alistair stirred and began trying to quietly dress himself. Not wanting to surprise the recovering man and cause him another injury, Leandra peeked at him from half closed lids and caught a gasp in her throat at the sight. She thought her own scarred arm was a horrid sight to behold, but Alistair was covered in so many more scars than her. She remembered him talking about them before and realized she was not the only one trying to hide her pain from the world. In a sad way, the many scars explained his behavior and disdain for everyone's help. Leandra herself had been extremely stubborn and isolated herself after the village incident. She had grown out of it by now, but she was not bearing a plethora of scars from a lifetime of pain. Only the one from a life-changing event.

Leandra's ears flickered forward when Alistair's stomach growled and she pretended to stretch and yawn as if she had finally woken from a proper nap.

Falarion chose this moment to leap down from the chair and pad over to where Alistair was standing. He promptly began purring and rubbed his side against the man's leg.

Listening to Alistair, Leandra raised an eyebrow and then stood up before crossing her arms.
"I am my own person and chose to be here with you, thank you very much. You're not the only one who feels like you're the oddball out here."
Realizing how that last statement might sound, Leandra winced and continued, "I-I mean, not that you're odd or anything. I just meant that I also feel a little weird being with this group and y'know that's totally okay to not feel like you belong. Not that you don't belong here! It's just that...um, yeah. I think I should stop speaking now."
Rubbing the back of her neck, Leandra stared down at the ground feeling like an idiot.

After the awkward interaction with Alistair, Leandra wanted nothing more than to save face, as she muttered an apology and swiftly exited the room.

Inside the room, Falarion looked up at Alistair and meowed once before trotting after Leandra.

~~~~~

Back in the main room, Leandra rejoined the group and realized everyone was dressed nicely now and freshly bathed. With an inward groan, she remembered the mention of bathing earlier.
Sidling up beside Lohrithe, Leandra whispered, "Um, where's the baths? I totally missed that earlier."
Her stomach growled in protest at the delayed meal, but Leandra knew she was long overdue for a proper bath.

Meanwhile, Falarion confidently leapt up on the table and leaned over to pick up some food before Leandra snatched him up with an apologetic smile at Lohrithe's father. Falarion went limp in her arms and meowed sadly at the food before him.

Naberius Naberius Zazz Zazz

Desrick's tusks grew a bit as lips lips pulled back in a smile. "Yes well, let's hope terrifying works for us in this case."

The young tabaxi asked for the bath, but seemed more hungry than anything.
"Eat first. I'm asking the healers to stay here and rest while we speak to the council."
"No complaints here." Said Pyrrhus, who had been waiting for the drow healers before he was ready to relinquish his duty minding Alistair. They had come not long ago.
"I plan on resting as long as I can."
Crispin had washed also, and been given new clothes, dark purple with cerulean accents, it made his red hair stand out like a beacon in the faded light of the drow home.
"I think I'll go with you." He said this both to Desrick and Ora. "Not that I'll be opening my mouth unless I'm asked, but I need to make sure the drow know what Mysts's plans are too. To be honest, they may even be aware of an attack, just not where or when it will come."

At length, when they were ready, Desrick turned to their host and, with a quick look at Lohr, gave a nod.
"We are ready. Let's go try and convince the council."

Flutterby Flutterby Zazz Zazz LazyDaze LazyDaze Goonfire Goonfire Lioness075 Lioness075 Naberius Naberius

Caldorithe had donned a more extravagant garment, chest still bared. This one was an emerald green, a vest that reached his knees in the front and whose rear billowed in the back like a cape when he walked. "Let us make haste!" He announced cheerfully, if a little dramatically, and led them through the door.

Lohr stole a moment while his father was not looking and kissed Desrick's cheek. "You've got this."

___

The Council room was a climb. Caldorithe led them up through the winding web of pathways, sometimes up stairs within the rock pillar itself. They passed a number of businesses, all with curious faces looking out at the drow and the four strangers. They were not all friendly, and had Caldorithe not been present, the trio might have even been hissed at. At last, they reached a high point and stopped. Azaria glanced over the edge of the rock pathway; it was a long, long way down. She couldn't even see the bottom.

Caldorithe turned to Desrick, Ora, Crispin, and Azaria, and quickly brushed off any specks of dust or stray threads. He tapped Oralia's horn ring and winked. "Nice touch. Elven? Fae, perhaps."

Two dark elves let them in, Lohrithe's father at the head. The doors led into a hallway that then opened into a circular room. Fire crystals warmed the braziers along the wall, and a strange, dim, blue light cast shadows from the center of a very large, stone table. Chatter quickly died when Caldorithe loudly cleared his throat. His hands were clasped behind his back and he stood tall, though with his head bowed. A few dozen heads turned towards them, irises of every hue bright against black sclera.

"What is this? Who are these... outsiders?" An elderly drow demanded to know. His irises were an amber red.

"Councilor Coldarrin," greeted Cal, his earlier playfulness forgone. I present Desrick, Ora, Crispin, and Azaria. These outsiders have news of great importance."

Councilor Coldarrin opened his mouth to speak, but a woman across from him interrupted. "Let them in." Her skin was pale, like Lohrithe's, but she had none of his gentleness.

Caldorithe bowed. "Thank you, Councilor Ulviraerithra." Lohrithe's mother. His father gracefully backed out of the room, and the wooden doors could be heard shutting behind him.

Azaria, after eyeing each member of the Council, waited waited for Desrick to take the lead.

Last edited:
“A bath? Most excellent,” Crow agreed, wasting minimal time. “I will be there as soon as I can. After all, a bath feels wrong with an empty stomach.” He grabbed a quick bite to eat before heading over—but not before ensuring the stubborn Alistair was well cared-for.

Then it hit him. The sight off a public bath made his face fall. His cheeks flared red as he processed the idea of being in this odd, vulnerable state in front of others. Giving a wide berth to avoid drawing attention proved to have the opposite effect, making the act of undressing that much more awkward to him. Before he dropped his loincloth, a realization struck him: ‘They are diverse and well-traveled. By now, a halfbreed is probably normal to them. Why am I making this awkward?’ With an audible ‘hmm’ and having taken some comfort in that fact, he dunked his bare form in the water.

Whilst splashing the bath water over his messy hair, those strange, miscellaneous bath thoughts came flooding to Crow. ‘Do centaurs require an extra-long bath brush to scrub their hind quarters?’ A random, humorous idea became a serious, burning question, one he had to ask Pyrrhus as soon as possible.

SilverFlight SilverFlight Zazz Zazz LazyDaze LazyDaze Flutterby Flutterby Lioness075 Lioness075 Naberius Naberius

Lohr's kiss tugged at Desrick's heart. He wanted to hold him, prolong that moment. He wished suddenly that they were not about to go to the council, that nothing was wrong, there was no war and he could do only what he had promised himself he would do when coming to Lohrithe's home for the first time. The drow walked on, and Desrick could only stifle his quiet longing and follow. Desrick tried not to meet the critical eyes that lined their path. He held himself upright and proud, as if he belonged there, and ignored them pointedly.
Only when entering the council room, did he bend his head in deference. Crispin bit his lip and stayed at his brother's shoulder, half-hiding behind the orc's impressive bulk. He looked for Ora, trying to meet her eyes, give her a bit of the courage he was not feeling.
"Councilor Ulviraerithra, esteemed members of the drow high council, I am Desrick Larkwing, Orc of the Raz'kul clan and peacemaker between the orcs and forest elves. We have traveled far to gain the information I am about to tell you. For weeks the Myst queen has anticipated an attack by the sunlander people. She is preparing for war. I am here to say, that her suspicions have been confirmed. An army approaches Cyndara, lead by the high elves of Evereach, and they are coming...through your tunnels."

Flutterby Flutterby Zazz Zazz LazyDaze LazyDaze Lioness075 Lioness075 Naberius Naberius

~*~*~

Pyrrhus followed Crow to the baths happily. Because he worse no clothes he did not have to undress, but marked Crow's uneasiness. He stepped into the water carefully, displacing quite a bit, and casually put himself between Crow and the odd bather on the other side of the pool.
The water was beautifully warm and Pyrrhus let out a sigh of pure bliss.
"Oh, I didn't realize my limbs hurt this much. Ah, but that's nice."
His eyes were closed but at Crow's question he opened one a slit and a cat-like smile appeared on his face.
"We do have such items back home yes, though, more commonly, there is an extra bather."
The centaur had been given a bottle of sweet-smelling soap and tipped a little out onto his hands.
"Bathing is a fairly social practice in my society: families bath together, and friends, though, between lovers, it can become quite the intimate affair."
After a long pause, Pyrrhus laughed. "Do not worry, I am well aware this is a public bath. But simply because I am behaving myself in that regard doesn't mean I can't have a little fun!"
With that he made a grab for the man, intent on catching him to rub the soap into his wet hair.
Goonfire Goonfire

Alistair hesitated with his hand on the door handle, then nodded to himself. Adopting the usual dour expression he usually wore, an odd mix of disinterest, mild annoyance and distaste, he stepped back out into the home. He had no real idea of how to maneuver his way around the place, but eventually found his way. The rest of the assembled group was currently tucking in to their meal, and while he could certainly do with something that wasn't dried or salted trail rations, he couldn't bring himself to enter the dining area they occupied. He needed to bathe, but that could be put off until he had privacy to himself. For the moment, he simply found a place to sit as close to the door to the dining room as possible and continued his solitary vigil. He was certain at least one of them noted his presence but didn't particularly care at the moment, he was focused on other things. He still needed more rest, for one, and contented himself with sitting and trying to 'relax'. At one point he removed an odd puzzle ring from his cloak pocket, and fiddled with it. An odd brain bending puzzle that had been a gift from one of the people he had freed some years ago, it was meant to help focus ones mental faculties on a specific set of intricately interlocking rings and try to take them apart without damaging them.

SilverFlight SilverFlight Zazz Zazz Lioness075 Lioness075 Flutterby Flutterby Goonfire Goonfire LazyDaze LazyDaze Baconhands Baconhands

Crow listened intently, taking mental notes on centaur bathing customs. “I think I understand; one hand washes the other, as the metaphor goes.” He turned away slightly, though not nearly enough to conceal his jaw dropping when Pyrrhus mentioned how lovers bathe. “O-oh my,” was all he could utter until the centaur continued.

“In Eskaro, bathing is a more private affair, though the vast majority of people there are what I call ‘fiercely modest’ and quite static in their practices. Anything vaguely intimate... well, it tends to only happen in one room of the house or else it is scandalous—though not illegal,” Crow mentioned while keeping his eyes closed as the soap was worked into his scalp. He stifled a laugh before he recalled more humorous tales. “Some outsiders joke that you could crush a coin between our kneecaps when we sit. Luckily, you found one who is not that extreme.”

The half-fey’s turn soon came, so he returned the gesture, carefully presenting a handful of water mixed with dissolving soap shavings to clean Pyrrhus’ cranial hair. He carefully worked it in, purging those beloved locks of what undoubtedly felt like the funk of forty-thousand years.

SilverFlight SilverFlight

Last edited:
When Crispin entered the room, now also clean and dressed, Ora turned and stared, rather unabashedly. The culture here had made her unashamed, or maybe it was the feeling of doom closing in ever more quickly. But he was handsome, and she was tired of feeling being surrounded by others, surrounded by responsibility, surrounded by danger. As she tore her gaze away from him to eat something, she was almost glad that Lassard was approaching. She was ready to end this game.

So when Desrick announced they were ready, she was standing quickly. Her face slipped into a familiar expression- no tension between the eyes, corners of the lips drawn in, a slight raise of one eyebrow. The expression of someone going to Court, a noblewoman of practiced ease. This time, it didn't feel disgusting on her face. And the stares didn't bother her- they were curious, annoyed, maybe even hostile. But they were an isolated people, and that was their survival. She couldn't blame them for being against outsiders.

When Caldorithe stopped to primp her, her expression melted into an easy smile. "Bought from a wood-elf, in Delan. On my.. second round-mark in Cyndara, I think."
It was a happy memory, now, even though it also brought back the destruction that followed so quickly after. It was a welcome reminder of what was at stake. When she set her face in the neutral-but-regal expression again, it was with determination. This would work. She simply would not allow it to fail.

Ora followed suit and entered with a respectfully bowed head, but as Desrick spoke, she raised her eyes. The drow woman who had allowed their entry held a clear resemblance to their Lohr, but her voice was so unlike his that she almost questioned her eyes. Nevertheless, as Desrick closed with the most important piece of information, Ora chased the thought away, and gave Crispin one subtle, reassuring nod before she stepped slightly forward to draw attention to herself.

"I am Oralia Hearth, of the summerland dwarves. The story of how I have come to stand before you is long and fraught, I will not waste your time with all of it. What you should know of Evereach- they are willing to send their own citizens to be killed, to frame innocent people, to plunder communities, to assassinate, to blackmail entire peoples, to murder anyone who stands against them. They do not balk at the thought of massacre. They have done all of this, and more, and will continue, until they are stopped."
Ora paused, and glanced at each of the members of the Council. They were all perfectly groomed, perfectly poised, perfectly.. disinterested in the outsiders before them. This was not the same as orcs gathered around the fire, waiting for someone to call them to an action they already desired. This was.. convincing the haughty to save those who could not save themselves, those beneath their attention. To save a world they had no real interest in.

"We are a group of less than a dozen. The ruling Houses of my nation are so far entrenched in Evereach's political games that they have only offered half-measures to help us. My own people, threatened with certain annihilation and the loss of our most precious artifact, can only offer to not assist Evereach, I am deeply ashamed to admit." Ora bowed her head here- the shame she felt was not a manipulation. After a heartbeat, she raised her chin to continue.

"Myst may be able to drive them back, now that we know their plan. But they come with full force. The summerlands have failed to weaken them. Perhaps Myst wins the first fight, maybe even the second. But there will be a third, a fourth. Without additional help, eventually, Myst will fall. And we fear the world will follow shortly after."
Ora's brows tented here, and she let them see her take a steadying breath, smooth her face purposely. Let them see her pride break, and watch her try to piece it back together. It wasn't an act. If the drow would not help them, the world would fall- and it would be her, her peoples' and her nation's fault.
SilverFlight SilverFlight Zazz Zazz

Last edited:
Lohrithe filled two plates with all sorts of foods from the table, along with two very small bowls of wyvern egg soup; it was a rare treat his people enjoyed. The drow took them to where Alistair sat playing with his puzzle ring. "What is that?" Lohrithe asked, sitting himself next to the man. He finally noticed Alistair's slightly pointed ears, but said nothing of them. "Here. Eat. You need your strength after nearly dying." He waved Leandra over, and held out a small piece of roasted chaurus for Falarion.

"What proof do you have?" Councilor Coldarrin demanded, his red eyes cruel and threatening. He was old, even by elven standards, and resembled a grumpy old man.

Another female member of the council spoke up. "In any case, how would this... army, you say, even find their way here? Not even the people of the Mystlands dare seek us out. Wyverns guard the mountaintops, and Mrylochar claims territory before the waters of the north." The woman wore a deep blue cloth that barely covered her breasts, and in fact was light enough to see through to her dark obsidian skin. Her expression was of disbelief, yet her lilac eyes seemed interested.

Azaria noticed one of the council members was translating between the language they spoke and drowish. She remained silent, letting the two diplomats do the talking for now. Councilor Ulviraerithra's gaze was like the twist of a barbed arrow in one's gut, and the halfling vaguely wondered how Lohrithe had ever turned out so sweet.

Had Desrick been anything other that what he was, he would have shrunk away from the withering look Lohr's mother had perfected, but he was a diplomat, and an orc, and showing weakness was sometimes a deadly mistake. He held their eyes steadily, keeping his head up.
Staying silent he withdrew the map they had stolen from the Evereach camp, Dwarven made, with annotations in high elvish.
This he brought to councilor Ulviraerithra and held it open for her to examine.
"You can have your experts determine it's authenticity." Desrick said slowly. "This is how we came from the summerlands right to your doorstep. It was stolen from the army camp just before they started to march. There are ancient tunnels, older than any clan that connect Dwerstand to here. You know of the attack on Delan. Evereach tried to steal the light crystal, and in Sumenna they have been doing the same. The crystals are the key to a great ancient power, and their army is now strong enough to crush Delan and take the crystal. The last one they need is in Myst. Lords and ladies of the council, Evereach is coming. They will cut through your homes and storm your streets. They hope to take you unawares but if we are prepared, we can save your people."

Desrick gestured to his companions. "We have seen the army approaching, I am ashamed to admit that there are orcs who have joined them. This army has been designed to take the capital city of Cyndara, your only choice is to evacuate, send soldiers to fortify Myst, take refuge in the city there and join forces with the Myst Queen."
Zazz Zazz Flutterby Flutterby LazyDaze LazyDaze ?

*~*~*

Pyrrhus couldn't suppress a delighted chuckle at Crow's modest reaction. He knelt, sinking into the water, his hair and the mane down his back flowed about him like dark mist, freed from their tight braids before he went to bathe.
"Do you miss it? Your home?" He moved away to consider Crow tenderly. In that look was a sympathy that came fro Pyrrhus' own feelings towards his home.
"I...miss mine."
Goonfire Goonfire

Last edited:
Lohrithe's mother turned her attention to the map before her, delicate brows raised over blue irises. "I suggest you not inform me of what I can do, orc, for it seems your imagination is thin." However, she did seem to take the matter seriously. "Yes, we received the letter from one of our own. I am disappointed to say your people have indeed been rather... unhelpful to the rest of the Darklands."

Councilor Coldarrin scoffed. "This.. this orc thinks he can demand we leave our homes?! Boy, you have some nerve..."

"What Councilor Coldarrin means to say," the lilac-eyed woman cut in gently, "is that we are better suited to defend ourselves here." She gave Ora a subtle roll of her eyes.

"Yes, yes. Thank you, Councilor Kierzanatha. Abandoning Velkyn Har'ol would be foolish. If this nonsense were even true."

Ulviraerithra was still studying the map. Ignoring Coldarrin's displays, she asked of the group, "And you have seen this army?"

Ora kept her chin raised while there was debate, not even blinking at the harsh tones. The only obvious reaction was the lifting of a corner of her lips, as she caught the lilac-eyed drow's eye roll. That one was going to helpful, she hoped.
With a solemn expression, Ora acknowledged Ulviraerithra's dig at the orc. "There have been a great many mistakes, by many people. We hope to see the world survive to set them right."
And then she dutifully answered her question.
"We have. It is the largest army I have ever personally laid eyes on. Evereach's forces alone appear to be the largest force they've ever concentrated on a single conflict- I can only estimate thousands. And that is without the orcs who have chosen to aide them." She paused to let them consider this, but only for a heartbeat.

"The high elf army is highly trained, highly disciplined. Their ranks are filled with those skilled with not only weapons, but magic. Light magic, which can blind, create illusions, hide entire things from sight."
Ora glanced at Councilor Coldarrin and then Councilor Kierzanatha. When she spoke, it was mostly to Councilor Kierzanatha and Councilor Ulviraerithra, but she did include the others in the occasional glance.

"Their numbers alone could be overwhelming. To be perfectly frank, the idea of facing them alone is what keep the Houses of Sumena from confronting them directly. It is my humble opinion that the difference in governance here may be what will save our world. My nation is consumed by petty politics, grudges that last centuries. They are short-sighted, and misguided. My impression is that Cyndarans are far more capable of rising above, when it is necessary to do so. And I do believe it is necessary now." Ora kept her tone as matter-of-fact as she could, punctuating her sentences with confidence instead of the desperation she really felt. She could not fail them now.
Zazz Zazz SilverFlight SilverFlight

Coldarrin grumbled something about magic, but was cut off by a raised eyebrow from Ulviraerithra. She didn't even have to look at him.

Another drow spoke up. "We have the advantage. They know not what they march into. We should defend the city."

Kierzanatha looked to her peers, glancing at the dwarf. "If Jallil Ora speaks the truth, perhaps we should consider evacuating the younglings."

"They will be easy pickings for wyverns," Coldarrin pointed out. The most useful participation from him thus far.

"So we send them in small groups, with escorts," Kierzanatha countered.

Ulviraerithra let them banter, thinking. The wyverns would be trouble if they evacuated, especially if they all left. They had warriors, and magic, and the high elves had lost the element of surprise. She looked up at the four outsiders with a frown. "For what reason do you assume our people should sacrifice our home to run for Myst?"

Last edited:
"You mean to say we'll need strength for the dying," Iolas said with a happy smile just after creeping up behind Lorhithe with a plate of his own. He was now in better spirits after washing away most of the grime and grit of their latest ventures. Despite the prying eyes, once you simply chose to ignore them, life unsurprisingly became easier. He had wondered if he should have followed the group meant to confront the council; however, he was self aware of his own quips and status. Being a full fledged high elf, the poster child and illustration of the word "enemy" would probably do very little to aid in negotiations. Moreover, anything he said would probably be twisted, or challenged on that notion alone. He would have to hope things worked out...and if they didn't...well his little joke would become very literal. Nevertheless, he was here now, doing his best to ease his restlessness as he continued to stand while stirring around his soup....he had consumed stranger things.

"I am also puzzled by that contraption as well as other things...," Iolas said while finally taking a sip of his soup not only observing Allistar's ring, but his appearance as well .

Zazz Zazz Naberius Naberius

Alistair had finally started truly going to work on the provided meal, practically inhaling the food. He realized too late that he was acting in a way entirely devoid of table manners but he'd have time to apologize for that later. He barely noticed the new arrival. Another one of their ragtag band. One who had apparently found the bathing area before they did, making it blatantly obvious the rather less than pleasant odor that he himself was emitting.

"Oh look another one of you people crawling out of the woodwork to pester me."

Unlike his usual comments and retorts, this was actually said with the ghost of a smile, almost in a joking manner. The food and the company had obviously had a positive impact on his attitude, even if their presence had originally grated on his neveres rather severely. He noticed the looks and smirked a little.

"Not exactly what you expected underneath the mask is it? That's the whole point. If word ever got back to the human city who was under the mask causing trouble for the past few decades, it would get linked back to my day job. People actually know my stage persona rather well. The ears are easier to hide for me than a pure blood elf and I've become rather adept at covering my skin tone with makeup."

As he did for the others, he held out the small ring for inspection. It was roughly the size of a small bracelet, ring in shape only. In the inside were several interconnecting ring links, each with tiny divots and grooves that formed a series of ever increasingly difficult maze like puzzles.

Zazz Zazz LazyDaze LazyDaze

Users who are viewing this thread

Back