• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Setting Summer Dawn

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
"This is crazy," Meera murmured to herself, making her way through the streets towards the Citadel. As soon as the last person in her party had gone to bed, the shapeshifter had made her way out of the manor and had taken to her raven form, flying over the dwarven city below. Occasionally she would stop, turn around, huff in frustration, and turn back, repeating to herself once more, "This is crazy, this is crazy, this is crazy."
It took far longer than it should have to reach the citadel. She was above a courtyard, watching as the citadel's occupants moved across it. But her eye was caught after a few seconds; a gaping hole that led into the earth, with hastily assembled stairs that provided an entrance into it. Her heart rate increased; this could lead to the tunnels that Desrick was on about; what he wanted her to scout out.
The prospect of going into them sent terror through her. She could still turn back. Nobody had noticed her yet; she could report that she had found the tunnels, that there were some stairs that led into them, and that-
Come on Meera, she chided herself, You've got to pull your weight. Everyone else has risked their lives. Only right... only right you do the same.
The shapeshifter forced her breathing to slow. She could do this. She had to do this. She was going to do this. The raven jumped off the edge which she was perched on, and dove down into the earth.

It was not as dark as she thought it would be. In fact it was remarkably well lit. She dove deeper and deeper, until the ground leveled out, and the stairs disappeared. A chamber greeted her not long after, and she was quick to fly to the relative safety of its high ceiling. Tents dotted the floor; humanoid figures that sort of resembled Desrick milled about below her. One tent, a tent in the center, caught her eye. It seemed to be absorbing light, or something within it was. She did not let it distract her for long - being here made her distinctly uncomfortable; she hadn't explored as far as she had promised she would.
The shapeshifter could see, in one part of the chamber, a tunnel heading deeper into the earth. Just this one tunnel, she promised herself. No further. Go down it, fly for five minutes, fly back, fly out, go to the mansion, wait for everyone to wake up. Easy, no need to over complicate things.

Meera lost track of time, she flew and flew and flew, despite her promise to herself. The tunnels felt featureless; hardly anything that could be reported on. Very little flora, at least very little that looked appetizing, was spotted. Another reason to hate being underground - very few berries grew down there. After what felt like an age, Meera spotted a canvas tent. It stood at a junction; the tunnel branched. Meera cursed her curiosity as it was piqued; she made her way forward, landing at the entrance.

One side of tent was folded open, revealing a dwarf. Their movements were slow, their hands ink-stained and shaking, and pieces of parchment littered the floor around his fleet. He had not managed to notice the raven, not quite yet. Meera entered, her head pounding, ready to run as soon as he noticed her.
Her fear got the better of her; she wanted to leave, but not empty handed. A piece of parchment. It would be something; they could analyse it all together. But not something from the floor - anything down there would clearly be useless. She had to get something from his desk.

Before officially leaving, Crow answered Leandra: “Eskaro is fairly bland; a lot of stoics live there, but the defenses are almost on par with those of Dwerstand. Brynson is a lot more comfortable and lively, in my opinion. It was the first city I visited after departing from Eskaro for this mission.” After swapping pleasantries and introductions, he bowed and finally removed himself. ‘I like her; she seems to have an insatiable curiosity,’ he thought to himself as he opened the drawing room door.

Lioness075 Lioness075

Ora finally gave a short, true laugh. She was surprised to hear it, and suddenly felt as though her life depended on remembering that moment forever. That tiny snippet of happiness, at a table full of friends and food, even with the fear clinging at the corners. As her laughter ended, she stared at Crispin, a smile lingering. There was something profound hanging at the tip of her tongue.
But the night was ending, her companions retiring, and so she bid them goodnight with a twinkle in her eye that hadn't been there moments before.
SilverFlight SilverFlight Zazz Zazz
With the crowd dwindling, Ora turned to look at her newest guest.
"I know you must have many questions that still aren't answered. Including some introductions, which was rather rude of us." She hesitated, wondering again how much to share with the stranger. It wasn't a question of trust- it was a question of scaring off an important source of information.
"If you'd like, find me in the morning, and I can tell you as much as you like. Some of it.. you may rather not know, but I don't think that will deter you. I hope that it doesn't." She gave a small smile, and then rose. "But for tonight, just rest. We can worry in the morning."
Lioness075 Lioness075
She glanced around the table. "That goes for the rest of you, too, get to bed. We're clearly not in our right minds." Ora reach over and poked Cripsin in the chest with a raised eyebrow and a chuckle.

Ora stood and quickly gathered up those dishes that were already abandoned or empty, and hurried them away. She made for an efficient host, with a knack for balancing things atop of each other, and soon the table and the kitchen were deemed acceptable to leave for the night.

"Alright, you lot," She said to those remaining, "I'm headed up. Leaving anything that's left in the kitchen for Winifred. If you wash it, she'll scold me for letting the guests clean, so please don't worry about it. I'll see you all in the morning."
She gave a small wave to the others, and stopped long enough to give Crispin's hand a soft squeeze.
"Thank you, for cheering me up. Sleep well."
And then Ora slipped out the door and up the stairs, disappearing behind a door marked with a blue-painted mountain.
SilverFlight SilverFlight Goonfire Goonfire Zazz Zazz LazyDaze LazyDaze Baconhands Baconhands Lioness075 Lioness075

Leandra Appearance.jpg
Name: Leandra LaFraeNickname: Lea
Race: Tabaxi - BeastwomanHome Country: Cyndara
Occupation: Huntress / Astronomer ApprenticeEquipment: Knapsack, Bow, Quiver of Arrows (20/20), Twin Daggers, Collapsible Spyglass
Falarion Appearance.jpg
Leandra's ears perked towards the young man who responded to her questions. He seemed a bit uninterested in the cities, but Leandra was still fascinated to hear about other places. There was so much in this world she had yet to see or explore. She could sense she was about to embark on a fascinating adventure with this odd group of individuals.
Leandra leaned back in her chair and wondered again what races these people were. The books she had hoarded in her home had only ever mentioned elves of varying types. She could easily recognize the pointed ears in the group and knew elves were among them. Though, she had read that they were all very high and mighty, but those in the group did not seem too bad.

Leandra watched as the group began to dwindle, everyone else seemingly very tired and weary from whatever they had done recently. Overhearing a yawn somewhere in the group, Leandra could not resist letting out one herself. She had not slept well when she had been traveling through the tunnels. After all, she was accustomed to a soft bed, not a rocky floor. She felt delighted at the mention of rooms being available for the group and was even more excited to know she was included in this. She absolutely wanted to join the group in whatever adventure they were undertaking next, which seemed to include a dragon of all things. Leandra had only read about them and they were fascinating beasts, but also very dangerous.
The horned woman with a tail responded to Leandra's other questions and seemed as weary as the rest of the group.
Leandra knew better than to push any further, so she simply nodded and then said quietly, "Thank you for the food and accommodations. I know I'm a stranger to all of you. I appreciate the generosity." She dipped her head briefly as she said this and then watched as the woman efficiently cleaned up the mess in the room.
Leandra missed her chance to inquire about books and decided it was probably best to focus on getting her rest anyways.

Taking her leave from the room, Leandra trailed after the few headed upstairs with Falarion at her heels. She watched them all enter their rooms and then hesitated on selecting a room for herself until the old man who had found her before approached her. He nodded towards the nearest room and waved a hand towards it while saying simply, "This room is empty, please feel free to rest here for the night."
She bowed more properly now that she was not sitting and thanked him before entering the room. She was ecstatic to find a bathing room and was more than happy to clean up after embracing a fine layer of dust in her fur and on her clothing from the tunnels. She then flopped onto the bed and Falarion leaped up to join her as the two passed out, curled up beside one another.
Flutterby Flutterby Goonfire Goonfire

Crispin dissolved into a breathless chuckle the kerchief landed on his face. He balled it in a fist and tossed it back to Azaria as he sat up in his chair and replaced the fork.
Zazz Zazz
Ora's laughter was like bells, the sound clear and true. His expression filled with genuine affection as he watched her for perhaps a moment too long.
Flutterby Flutterby
"Well my name is Crispin," The wood elf stuck a thumb at his chest in response to their new guest. "Brother to that one, Desrick." He pointed to the orc, grinning if it caused some confusion. "He's adopted."
Lioness075 Lioness075
He wasn't expecting the prod and jumped with a giggle, raising a hand in defence.
"Were we ever in our right minds?" He shot back with a grin.
When Ora squeezed his hand he smiled at her brightly, watching her go he whispered under his breath: "Of course, I'd jump the moon for you...Ora."
Flutterby Flutterby

The centaur turned just before leaving the drawing room. "Oh! How rude of me! I am Pyrrhus. Pyrrhus Elantus, musician, actor, poet and all around champion of the arts."
Lioness075 Lioness075
Pyrrhus watched Crow catch him up and slowed to keep pace with him.
"I like our new guest." Pyrrhus mirrored the inquisitor's thoughts out loud "And her cat."
He couldn't hide a happy smile when Crow opened the drawing room door.
"I see the temptation of my ample cushion empire was too much for you."
They went in together and even Pyrrhus stopped to look at what the room contained:
It really was a mountain of cushions. He guessed it was nearly every single one in the place. Velvet and cotton, feather and wool. Pyrrhus sank right up to his midriff when he knelt into the pile. He lay back and sighed.
Goonfire Goonfire

It seemed like Lorithe's questions to the young Tabaxi would have to wait until morning. Desrick reached down and folded Lorithe's hand into his, stepping just a little closer.
"Are you tired?" He murmured softly to the drow. Desrick's hand came up gently to brush Lorithe's shoulders, where the worst of the sunburn had been. Though Pyrrhus had taken over the more serious cases, Desrick was still a healer, and his concern for Lorithe was evident in tone and touch.
Zazz Zazz

((Last round then timeskip))

The drow's green irises twinkled upon their black background as Lohrithe looked up to meet Desrick's gaze. Despite being quite possibly the tallest of his people, the drow was still shorter than his green-skinned friend. He smiled up at the orc, even as Desrick's hand left his to touch his shoulder. The burn had healed, his skin no longer peeling. His moonlit paleness had become a soft grey under the harsh sunlight.

Lohrithe nodded. "I think we all are tired. You've barely rested since home," he scolded gently, giving the orc's hand a squeeze. "Come, let us find a room," he said, taking Desrick's other hand and leading him away from the table, leaving the two high elves alone.

Up the stairs, Lohrithe found them a room with a sturdy-looking bed. The door shut, his paisley patterned green shirt fell to a chair. Scars ran the length of his body, marred from his years of training with the orcs. The drow then came close to Desrick once more, tugging at the orc's shirt.

Desrick let himself be led. Lohrithe's hand on his made his skin tingle. His eyes studied the shape of him, clear in the dull light of the hallway as Lohrithe walked just ahead.
The room was dark still, no candles had been lit, just the pale gold light from the luminescence that played about the gardens outside. It came from rocks, or rather the moss on them. Small insects winked far into the distance of the caverns, mingling with the twinkling of the central city.
All this Desrick was only half-aware of, because most of his attention was on the shirt that had been carefully placed on a chair. The door was closed. They were alone.
The golden glow played upon Lohrthie's skin, and the scars that told his story. Desrick knew that story. Well. He had wanted to become a healer because of it.
He caught a flare of anger, at the other orcs, and at himself for letting it happen, and the anger knit his brow for one brief moment.
Lohrithe was there then, and close, lighting up his senses and bringing his attention back to what really mattered.
Thought was suddenly unimportant, for the first time in what was probably his entire life, Desrick didn't think. He leaned down and kissed Lorithe, letting his vest slip from his broad shoulders.
"Who knows what will happen tomorrow." Desrick whispered as he broke but stayed close. "We could be fighting an army...or a dragon. But..."
The orc stood back and when he did, there was a spark of something deep that danced in his eyes. In one swift motion he bent and scooped Lohrithe into his great arms. It wasn't a small effort, but Desrick made it look like one. A show of power and protection. He loved Lohrithe, had loved him for so long. Desrick stepped to the bed and lay him gently down.
"Tonight...tonight is ours."
Zazz Zazz

Last edited:
Meera had never forced herself to fly so fast, but she had never been in such danger. She carried a piece of parchment in her feet, and it fluttered precariously as she made her way back through the tunnels. She had hoped she would have been able to rest once she got to the chamber where the orcs had been camped, but alas the young shapeshifter found herself uttering a flurry of curses as they spotted her. Apparently a raven wasn't too suspicious - a raven carrying something was significantly more alarming. And so, as she had made her way upwards, a spear whistled past her, and with a cry of surprise she dove back down, heading for the entrance and not daring to look back. She had something - something that had alarmed them. She had come too far to fail now.

When she soared out of the tunnels, relief did not come to Meera; she was out of the tunnels and that was cause for some form of celebration, but she did not allow herself a moment's respite. She wasn't back to safety yet. "When you get to the mansion you can rest," she told herself. "You'll have played a part. You've done something to help."
Every beat of her wings took more effort than the last. Eventually she felt like there were lead weights attached to both of them. But she did not let herself stop. She flew over the market, over the dozens of dwarven buildings below, not caring for however many people spotted her, desperate to get back.

Exhaustion finally struck her when she was over the courtyard. She desperately fought to stay aloft but such efforts were in vain. Meera fell, her landing far from graceful. The shapeshifter changed into her human form and rolled onto her back, inhaling the air hungrily. A smile crept across her lips nonetheless. She'd done it.

Azaria watched as everyone but Iolas and herself left, trailing off in couples, save for Meera and the newcomer. The night was quiet, with everyone collapsing into their beds. The assassin finished off the last of her drink, thinking of home. Her mother, a traitorous woman, had married a man of stature within Everreach. The man rightly feared her, and she rather enjoyed keeping him on edge.

But what of Iolas? He didn't fear her like other men. At least not completely. She felt... comforted, by his presence. Azaria looked up at him, about to say they ought to get some rest, when a noise outside caught her attention. It was too close to the house. In a moment she was at the door, weapons wielded. What she did not expect to find was Meera, the raven girl, sprawled out on the ground looking like she had had the best night of her life.

Azaria took a quick glance around, the put away her knives. The assassin came and crouched by the shapeshifter, noticing the partially crumpled paper. She took it and raised her eyebrow at the youngling. "Having a night on the town, are we?" Without waiting for an answer, she lifted the girl in her arms and carried her inside, careful not to jostle her. "Shh, let's get you to bed. Iolas, would you mind closing the door?"

She carried Meera up the stairs, finding the girl's room. Carefully, the assassin placed Meera in her bed, tucking her in, then gently sat next to her. Azaria ran her fingers through the girl's hair softly. "Get some rest."

Meera was not in a position to resist. She would have protested Azariah taking the parchment from her had she had the air in her lungs or the energy in her body to do so but alas, her body offered her nothing except a short mumble as she was carried to a room. "I did it... I helped..." she uttered contentedly.
No complaints came from the shapeshifter as she was placed in bed, but she fought diligently to stay awake; she had to pass on what she had seen in the tunnels to someone. And yet, at the same time, Meera did not want anyone to read the parchment she had taken before she had had an opportunity to do so. Despite being tucked in tightly by the assassin, Meera moved her arm, indicating to the parchment.
"I need... to tell Desrick about it. I..." she said absentmindedly. "Why do tunnels have to be underground?" She murmured, laying back against the pillow, her eyelids failing her. "Like really underground. So far underground that... you feel trapped..." Meera's hand moved, taking Azariah's in a surprisingly swift motion, a nervous energy filling her. "I don't want to be trapped. How can you fly when you are trapped? There are no berries in traps; except for the berries that are designed to lure you in. But those are bad berries. I don't like those ones." She paused, her grip slipping as her eyes fluttered shut, "They almost... trapped me..."
Zazz Zazz

Last edited:
The assassin held the girl's hand, having placed the parchment on the bedtable next to her. "Tunnels wouldn't really be tunnels if they were not underground, would they?" Her voice was gentle, as it might be for a child. "Shh, you can tell him in the morning. Everyone is sleeping." Or otherwise busy, she mused. Azaria continued the stroking of Meera's hair, trying to calm the girl enough to sleep.

The halfling herself was exhausted. She shifted, laying beside Meera, holding the girl. "You're safe, now," the big spoon whispered, holding the girl's hand. "Nothing can hurt you. Get some sleep."

And so the day ended, figuratively of course. The laughter had finally reached a crescendo, everyone received their fill and were leaving. Iolas could not help but notice that he had never had moments like these. He was a soldier at birth, and isolated for many of most of his life. It almost made him wonder if any of this was even real; if she was real. With everyone leaving, particularly the couples that splintered off into their own quarters, he could not help but think about the person next to him who was starting to seep into the cracks of his heart. It was a pleasant dread; to long for something, but terrified of all that it could bring. As if reacting to his thoughts he found himself staring into Azaria's eyes, admiring her features, her presence. She was about to say something, but then that beautiful silence was cast aside as a noise outside caused Iolas to turn away just as Azaria had. Iolas had his hand on the hilt of his blade as he followed Azaria outside. It was...Meera?

Iolas tilted his head to the side as he sheathed his blade and took a few steps back inside, closing the door as commanded after a dramtic bow. Iolas simply followed Meera and Azaria up to the room they would be resting in. He stood in the doorway, observing from a distance as he shook his head and smiled when he thought about all the hell he could have given Meera for some of those groggy statements. He was never the best at comforting others; however, Iolas was pleasantly surprised. Had Azaria always been this....maternal? It was like every day, every second, he was learning something new about her. He had already come to terms with the fact that it stopped mattering what the new information was; nevertheless, he wanted to know as much as he could...as long as he could.

Iolas walked in the room, taking care to lighten each step to avoid waking Meera. "Of course she's safe," Iolas whispered as he moved even closer. "She has you protecting her..." Iolas leaned in and planted a soft, lingering kiss on Azaria's forehead. His eyes rested on her visage as he slowly backed away before realizing what he had done. "..........Get some rest," Iolas said softly before turning away. This was the first time he realized you could miss someone who was right in front of you. It was...confusing for him.

Zazz Zazz Baconhands Baconhands

The halfling assassin had not expected the tender gesture from Iolas. A soft smile found her lips as a warm sensation came over her. She opened her eyes to meet his gaze before he turned away, and quickly reached out to catch his hand as he did. "Iolas," she whispered, so as not to wake Meera. Azaria patted the bed behind her, inviting him to join. She wanted - nay, needed - to feel as safe as Meera, if just for a night.

LazyDaze LazyDaze

Before he could so much as take a step, he felt a hand quickly catch his. It was not forceful, or restraining; however, for all his might, Iolas would have never been able to move away from that spot until she had released him. He surprised, as he often was around Azaria, but he was happy she had stopped him; rather, he had hoped that she would. He followed her guidance as he moved around the bed and laid down softly so as not to wake Meera. He placed an arm around her and drew in as close as he could. A part of him wished this was all there was to his life...at least for a moment, he could pretend. "Azaria," Iolas whispered softly. There was something he wanted to tell her...something important, but....he lost his nerve. He could not help but worry about his feelings not being returned. He cursed at himself for being so weak willed; nevertheless, he held his heart captive. "...Sleep tight," Iolas said, settling for a more common phrase. Even still, he spoke tenderly and carefully, betraying he battle within between his mind and heart.

Zazz Zazz

The next day began gently, the smell of a hearty breakfast wafted throughout the expansive house. Fresh fruit pies, thick porridge and rolls straight from the oven.
The dragon bell was still missing, though now the travelers knew a bit more about what Evereach was planning. The only reason to bring the orcs down into the Dwerstand citadel was to try and push them through the tunnels and catch Cyndara unawares.
If they found out what happened to the bell, there might be a chance Dwerstand would turn on Evereach, and of course, eliminate the risk that it may actually wake a very real dragon, sleeping beneath the city temple.
Zazz Zazz Flutterby Flutterby LazyDaze LazyDaze Baconhands Baconhands Lioness075 Lioness075 Goonfire Goonfire

All this Desrick was thinking of just after he woke, and lay staring at the ceiling. His home was in terrible danger. The knot of anxiety that twisted now had a familiar discomfort. They had to do something. Think...
Evereach's strength was in light and fire magic. He had seen Lassard use it, and the illusions used by the horsemen that attacked them on the road the day before completely changed what they saw. That had to be linked to what they'd done with the bell.
Desrick frowned. Maybe these thoughts could wait...just a little longer...
He rolled to face Lohr, putting out a hand and brushing the elf's bare shoulder to rouse him.
"Lohrithe." He spoke the name tenderly and waited.
Zazz Zazz

Pyrrhus didn't want to move. If he moved, he would most certainly disturb Crow and that, would have been a tragedy. No, his gentle love deserved to wake up in a much better way...Slowly Pyrrhus shifted just slightly to free his arms. His lute, which was far, but not too far for him to be unable to hook the shoulder strap with his tail. Once in his hands he tuned it as quietly as he could, and began to play. It was a soft song: sunlight filtering through a green forest or dew beading on spring grass.
As he played he kept a close eye on Crow, waiting for him to wake.
Goonfire Goonfire

Crispin was already at the table, sitting. If he didn't sit he would pace. What he and Ora had spotted on the horizon outside the city had shaken him severely. An army. Evereach's army. They were headed straight for Dwerstand. The elves were so sure of their bid here that they were putting nearly all of their soldiers through the tunnels. Elf and orc, he was sure of it. He dreaded telling the others, as if that would somehow make it more real.
Zazz Zazz Flutterby Flutterby LazyDaze LazyDaze Baconhands Baconhands Lioness075 Lioness075 Goonfire Goonfire

Lohrithe awoke gently from a dream he wouldn't remember. "Fire salts..." Dark eyes opened to reveal bright green irises as the drow came to. He smiled, remembering the night before, and he turned to face his lover. His chest was bare, a strange moonlight greyish colour in the foreign lighting of Dwerstand. His feet, having been poking out from underneath the covers, were cold, and he pressed them against Desrick's warm legs, grinning. "Good morning," he giggled.

Meanwhile, downstairs, Azaria silently appeared behind Crispin, only to reach around him to steal a slice of bread. "You look like you've seen another dragon," she teased. She had clearly cleaned up after training with Ora; the assassin's hair was sleek and straight, her clothing and light armor pristine. Her face lacked the dirt and blood of the past adventures, yet still bore the black tattooed mark of... well, it was anyone's guess.

The halfling elf sat next to the wood elf unceremoniously and began filling her plate with more food than anyone had seen her eat thus far. "So... Crispin. You and Desrick are brothers? Tell me that story."

By the time Iolas woke up, he was alone...relatively. Iolas had not slept so soundly in years, it was almost embarrassing. Moreover, he noticed something that was not there to be noticed. Azaria was gone. With a sigh, Iolas turned to Meera before staring back at the ceiling. "...Even I can only take so much awkwardness, and now I have resorted to speaking to myself. Alas I have reached the peak of insanity," Iolas joked with himself. He silently rose out of bed as he gathered his things. He wouldn't make the same mistake he made at the ball; he would trust everyone this time. It wasn't his job to be everywhere at once, and everyone could accomplish things that he could not. Everyone would pull through, and they would stop Everreach. Speaking of Everreach, Iolas practiced a few gestures and expressions to make sure he still had it.

"Pompous, pride, disdain...more disdain. This should be passable," Iolas said as he held his head just a tad higher than normal. It was not extremely difficult since he still had some of the same mannerisms. Iolas would wait for Meera to wake up as he continued to perfect his new persona. He wanted to make sure she was ready for today. and it was anyone's guess what crazy things she would utter right after waking up and someone had to take responsibility in responding to whatever outlandish questions she might have conjured up in her dreams.

Baconhands Baconhands Zazz Zazz

Crow had slept so soundly that night; indeed, it would have been a challenge to pull away from his embrace. It took a few seconds for the soft, sweet tune to kick his brain into action. He remained still with his eyes closed as he processed what was happening, then rose slowly. His hair was a mess, suffering from a clear case of bed head. “This is the most pleasant wake-up call I’ve had in my lifetime,” he confessed through a yawn. “Did you sleep well?”

While making banter with Pyrrhus, Crow hastily fixed his hair and made sure his markings were covered. He then beckoned, a nonverbal offer to walk and talk all the way to the dining room.

SilverFlight SilverFlight

Desrick twitched as Lohrithe's cold toes pressed into his calves and he laughed, wrapping the drow in a great bear hug.
"We should rise." He said at length, a hint of reluctance in his voice. As soon as he left the room he would be Desrick The Leader. The warrior standing against an army, but, at least he wouldn't be standing alone. With great resistance he got out of bed and dressed. The axe holster felt almost alien after that single night without it. The weight of his weapon was an unwelcome burden. His fingers fell upon feathered charm Lohrithe had made for him and lingered at it lovingly.
All of a sudden he was afraid. They would have to fight Evereach eventually, would have to confront Lassard. There would be blood and Desrick couldn't bear the thought of it being Lohr's. All these thoughts were evident on his face as he held the tiny charm, tied to the end of his battle-worn weapon.
Zazz Zazz

Upon seeing Azaria's hand Crispin nearly jumped out of his skin. He'd been so absorbed in his brooding thoughts he didn't notice her at all.
"Cynda's breath don't do that!"
He scooted a little farther away to allow her free access to the food. "For moon's sake do you have to creep about so?"
She made a mention of his previous expression. "You could say that." He answered cryptically, glad of the topic change onto his brother.
"That's sort of a fun story." He began with half a smile.
"Nobody really knows who Desrick's blood parents are. He was a foundling, left at the edge of an Orcish village as an infant. The chief took him in, raised him. He was orc enough, but to some he was never "Tribe", you know? He also had a bit of a gentle streak, not a good thing to have for a people who's diplomacy starts at the end of a blade. He was also good at listening, and watching. Tensions had been rising between my people and orcs for a long time. We have my father, and the Roz'kul chief to thank for the first steps towards peace, and Desrick was right smack in the middle. He came into our house when we were children, nothing with him...not even a real name, so, we named him. Larkwing is my family name."
Crispin smiled here, fondly. "He's proud to have it, and that means a lot for an orc." He glanced back at Azaria. "Desrick was groomed for the role of peacekeeper, and we've been thick as thieves ever since."
He turned to face her fully now. "Your turn." He said slyly. "What's with the..." and he traced the line her tattoo made upon his own cheek.
"That an assassin thing? Mark of skill? Or, is there a story behind that too?"
Zazz Zazz

Pyrrhus ended the song and set his lute aside as Crow sat up. "Then I shall wake you every morning with the sweetest songs I can compose."
He leaned down to press a gentle kiss onto Crow's cheek, and smoothed his hair affectionately.
"Eishar, with you, every night brings more peace to my dreams than ever I have had before."
While Crow made himself ready, Pyrrhus brushed and re-braided his own hair, carefully tying the copper rings back into them. He followed the inquisitor without hesitation. Despite everything that was going on, Pyrrhus couldn't help but feel happy.
It was this mood he brought into the kitchens, and greeted Azaria and Crispin with a bright smile.
Goonfire Goonfire Zazz Zazz

Crispin waited until most had risen and joined them before taking a breath and revealing what he and Ora had seen:
Desrick saw the troubled expression on his brother's face and his easy smile evaporated.
"Evereach is moving their army into the Citadel. It's half a day's march from the gates...and it will be here before before the 18th mark."
Zazz Zazz Flutterby Flutterby Goonfire Goonfire Lioness075 Lioness075 Baconhands Baconhands

Last edited:
Morning. Meera did not know for certain it was morning but she was awake. The shapeshifter bolted up from bed, a panicked energy filling her, as she sat up straight and began immediately searching for the scroll. Az had taken it; where had she put it? Had she brought it to Desrick already? What if somebody had stolen it in the night! What if it was on the dresser next to her? She turned her head, and found the parchment there. A sigh of relief escaped her, and her breathing started to normalise. Her eyes scanned the room, searching for any sign of some berries or breakfast. She sniffed the air; there was certainly something wafting from downstairs and Meera was quick to follow it - she was starving. She grabbed the parchment and ran for the stairs, desperate to share what she'd discovered and to fill her stomach with food.

Her ears picked up Crispin's voice, and she heard him talk about Evereach's army, but registered few of the details past that. The shapeshifter ran into the room and slammed the piece of parchment down in front of Desrick, a grin on her face. "I did it! I would have come and seen you earlier but I was exhausted and Az put me to bed so I went to sleep cause she said this could wait until morning but! Here it is!"
SilverFlight SilverFlight Zazz Zazz Flutterby Flutterby Goonfire Goonfire Lioness075 Lioness075

Appearance.jpg
Name: Leandra LaFraeNickname: Lea
Race: Tabaxi - BeastwomanHome Country: Cyndara
Occupation: Huntress / Astronomer ApprenticeEquipment: Knapsack, Bow, Quiver of Arrows (20/20), Twin Daggers, Collapsible Spyglass
Falarion Appearance.jpg
Leandra woke at dawn, or what she hoped was dawn since she had no clear understanding of the new area she was in. She could hear commotion downstairs, though, and realized with a start that she was probably the last person to join the group now. She rushed out of her bed, startling Falarion awake with a yowl. She winced at this and said, "Sorry, Fal!" before she rushed into a washroom to clean up. She never grew tired of cleaning herself and took pride in looking nice despite everything.
A few minutes later and she dashed out of her room, pulling her knapsack over her shoulders while Falarion ran alongside her. Leandra skidded to a halt just before the meeting room from the night before. The young woman from the night before who had left abruptly just charged in of her own accord and loudly proclaimed some findings. Curious as ever, Leandra promptly appeared at the woman's shoulder and peered over at the roll of parchment on the table before them. She then asked, "Ohh, what's that?"
Unceremoniously, Falarion chose that moment to take flight, leaping up from the ground and brushing past both Leandra and Meera to land on the table beside the parchment. He let out a soft meow before gently poking at the parchment with a paw.
When the parchment began to roll, he crouched in preparation to pounce on it before Leandra said, "Fal, stop. I think we need that parchment alive."
Falarion gave her a baleful glance, as much as a cat can, before he then sat back down and began grooming himself.
Leandra grinned at this and stepped aside from Meera before giving the group a friendly wave. "G'mornin', everyone! This place is so weird! Like, I can't even tell where I am without the stars outside."
SilverFlight SilverFlight Baconhands Baconhands Zazz Zazz Flutterby Flutterby Goonfire Goonfire LazyDaze LazyDaze

Last edited:
Ora's voice could be heard by the others, from somewhere deeper in the house. Her voice had the low, measured cadence of one sharing upsetting news. The other two voices rose and fell erratically, especially the female one. Ora had decided it was high time to tell Winifred and Eldrich what she had gotten up to while away- at least most of it. The others were waking, and there was more news to share with them, so Ora quickly wrote her favorite dwarves a note- the name and address of Gideon Huxley, in case Dwerstand became too dangerous to stay.

Ora returned to fix herself breakfast. Everyone seemed so cheerful- she easily pinpointed Pyrrhus as the source of most of the good energy- and she frowned down at her roll, after a quick glance at Crispin. He was chatting with Azaria, even though she thought he still looked a tad pale. The sour note at the end of their pleasant morning didn't seem to be bothering him too much. Personally, she couldn't have been more annoyed with Evereach's timing.
As she fixed a bow of porridge, she reminded herself of how petty that was.

Crispin broke the news as she sat down with her food, and Ora calmly glanced around to watch the others react. It was Meera that broke her tranquil feeling. Both by bursting into the room like a crazed animal- Ora's hand actually twitched for her missing swords- and by tossing forward a piece of parchment that apparently was vital information.
Ora leaned forward, trying to catch a glimpse as it was unrolled.
"Desrick, what is that?"

While Crisping told of Desrick's past, Azaria shoved everything she could down her gullet, absolutely ravenous. It made sense; Desrick was indeed... small, for an orc. She didn't bother to hide the smirk that arose from the idea of the orc and the dark elf's... er... night. She wondered, briefly, who was "top" versus "bottom", but immediately decided Lohrithe was definitely the bottom.

When asked about her own visage, the assassin cleared her throat delicately and said, "It covers the mark of Lassard's blade. It serves as a reminder of my father's death, and whose blood he is owed." Her mood soured, and she gently pushed her plate away as Pyrrhus entered the room. Pyrrhus, of course, had heard the full story before.

As each person trickled in, Azaria withdrew more and more, now sitting back in her chair with her arms crossed. There was no smirk nor smile at the mention of Everreach soldiers. Of course, she had already looked at Meera's loot, so she waited where she sat for Desrick and the others to figure out what was going on.

Meanwhile, two elves were missing. Lohrithe and Iolas.

"Good morning Leandra!" Pyrrhus practically sung. He reached over to give Falarion a friendly stroke. Lioness075 Lioness075
Desrick stopped when Meera burst in to slap the parchment in the table in front of them. The thin but undeniable lines of a map. Desrick skirted the cat and unfurled the entire thing.
"The map of the tunnels under the citadel." He said aloud, answering Ora. The map was massive, but almost every inch of it was filled with fine lines. Passages that lead East, but how far, Desrick couldn't say, he was only familiar with maps of the above-ground. He looked at Ora and then at Lohrithe, to see if recognition bloomed on their faces.
"That's it then." Crispin said. "That'll let us get ahead of the armies and tell Cyndara exactly where they are going to emerge."
Suddenly one of the children burst into the room.
"The dwarven armory is being emptied! There are soldiers everywhere. The infantry, the Dwerstand guard. Every soul is being called!"
Desrick, usually so composed, swore. "I will bet you that Evereach is using it's hold on the Dragon Bell to blackmail Dwerstand into adding their soldiers to the army."
Crispin bit his lip. "We saw the number of guards at the gates and in the market. That would add hundreds to their numbers."
Pyrrhus flicked his tail in frustration. He hated the idea of Evereach holding such power over another people.
"What if we found the bell? Wouldn't that mean Dwerstand is no longer obligated to obey them?"
"Agreed," Desrick answered. "I think we need to find the bell first."
"But we have half a day and the entire army will be moving in the tunnels, we'll never get by them without being caught." Crispin countered, though he didn't like what that implied.
"Let's think quickly then," Pyrrhus chimed in urgently, "what do we know so far?"

"Well," Crispin began: "The bell is huge, far too big to move inconspicuously without magic, but Evereach trains in fire magic...and light magic...illusions, like the one on those riders that attacked us outside of Dwerstand... and there was nothing in the cavern below (save the actual, live dragon, of course), and no way to get the bell out of that temple without causing a cave-in, by all logic they don't have the means to move something that big or heavy."
Zazz Zazz Flutterby Flutterby Goonfire Goonfire Lioness075 Lioness075 Baconhands Baconhands

Amidst the strategizing and worrying in the dining room, Lohrithe emerged looking quite refreshed, having washed up and removed the jewelry from his white hair, which was damp. "Mmm, something smells heavenly... Where is Iolas? Has he not come down?" Lohrithe seemed in good spirits despite the situation. He dipped a knife into an apple pie and took a slice. "Oh. Mm. My goodness," he commented around his first bite. "What is this? This is marvelous."

That was when the youngling came in. Cyndabrynde's eye," he swore, still stuffing his face even as he peered around Desrick's shoulder to see what was on the paper.

Azaria's mind was still set on Lassard's throat when someone mentioned the bell... and the elves... and their magic.... Illusions. "I don't suppose they'd be dumb enough to hide it exactly where it was under something like Lassard's invisibility cloak," Azaria scoffed, only half serious.

Meanwhile, Lohr was fascinated by the map. There was something familiar about.... "Turn that upside down, will you? And a bit to the....

His words trailed off, along with the colour in his face. "No..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back