• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Setting Summer Dawn

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Iolas was surprised it went so well, but if he learned anything on this trip, it was to accept good fortune in whatever form it came. He would have to wait until they were in the clear to release the laugh that had been building up inside of him ever since he laid eyes on Crow. Like Desrick he expected Ora to take charge from here on out. It was comforting to have a resident of a relatively foreign territory. He could only imagine the relief the Cyndarans felt. He listened to the options they had. Strangely enough both options had their advantages. That danger was greater the closer they were, but they needed information. After all, they weren't here to simply become citizens. The other option was not spacious, but it could serve as a safer home base.

"Hmm...we're going to be in danger anyway. If anything happens we can use the smaller house as a second base just in case. Plus, I don't like the sound of being cramped together. We might all go crazy," Iolas said shrugging his shoulders. He then turned to Pyrrhus to address his suggestion."...Hmm, I wouldn't mind staying, but I do believe we should come to a consensus. I doubt I will be easily recognized. One thing you will find is that we elves look very similar, especially in uniform. However, we can come to a consensus. If someone else would rather do it, don't allow me to hold you back."

Meera felt only relief when the gates opened - she did not want to be in another fight, especially after the last one being so recent. The memory of the bodies sent a shiver down her spine, if such a thing were possible. Such thoughts distracted her from most of Pyrrhus's suggestions, and she really only became aware of the conversation when the centaur had stated that it would be a good idea for somebody to go and spy on the Evereach forces. It was a daunting idea, honestly one that scared the shapeshifter, but another part of her - guilt - bade her to speak up. It had taken a while for her to build up this courage, at least that's what it had felt like for her, and when she finally found her voice Ora had already started urging her horse onward.
"I-I can go and have a look at the Evereach forces." She suggested meekly. Her voice faltered a few times as she spoke, and was barely above a whisper, but there was at least some sort of conviction to it, a determination to see this task done properly. "I doubt any of them will have any sort of suspicions about a raven. I-I'm also a good listener. And... and well... I should at least try to make myself useful while I'm travelling with all of you."
Her eyes flitted across each member of the party, as if trying to temporarily convince each one of them in turn that it would work out well, and that she was going to do if not a good job then at least not a bad one. There was some odd form of enthusiasm in the look she gave them that juxtaposed the obvious nervousness in her voice.
Goonfire Goonfire Flutterby Flutterby Zazz Zazz Ms. Sparrow Ms. Sparrow LazyDaze LazyDaze SilverFlight SilverFlight

Ora gave Iolas a slow, hesitant nod. They did need to be inside the city, and her reluctance to be there was.. well, it was her own problem to deal with.
"The city it is, then." It was clear from her face that it brought her no pleasure to say so, but she didn't protest. After a moment of hesitation, she added, "I think we can decide who goes where after we arrive. Maybe we'll learn something along the way."
To Iolas, she reminded him, "Lassard recognized you, it's not impossible others will, too."
With a glance at Meera, who sounded terrified, she added, "And no one should go alone, anywhere."
With that, they were on their way.

Ora and her golden pony lead the way up the cobbled path. About halfway to the entrance, Ora's eyes stuck to one of the stone statues along the path. It was visibly newer than the others, if one knew what to look for. She frowned at it.
As they passed between the copper flames of the dragons, darkness fell over their shoulders. The next moment, a gentle breath of cool air washed across Ora's face, carrying the scent of rock, water, smoke, and something like cinnamon. It took her eyes a moment to adjust, and then she could see the honey-yellow glow of the city's light. From each opening, across the entire city, warm light glowed, like thousands of tiny suns. Ora was struck, suddenly, by how it looked like Delan without the trees.
At one time, the great cavern had been carved and built by water, as natural as the mountains above them. But the dwarves had transformed it into something even Summrbrynde could have admired. From the natural pillars of stone, they had carved their homes. At the edge of the city, they were plain- straight columns with staircases up the side, which she knew housed a family on each floor. The closer one drew to the middle of the cavern, the more ornate the work became. Balconies and arches emerged, delicate walkways between columns crafted with utmost care, motifs from their lives were set into walls.
And at the center of it all, the Citadel rose like a mountain of its own. It graced the largest pillar of all, had grown to consume a few smaller ones, reaching from the deepest point of the cavern, to the apex of its domed ceiling. Even from the edge, Ora could see the details of the structure- near the bottom, mining scenes, dwarven history in the middle, mountains toward the top- or maybe that was just because she remembered it. What was definitely visible was the large, intricate dragon that crowned the top, wrapped around the entire circumference, snout to tail tip. An illustration of the Dragon, atop the heart of Dwerstand, directly above the shrine that held the Bell.. or used to.

Ora stared, her heart feeling horribly torn, and then gave a small sigh and urged her pony onward. With one hand, she indicated the Citadel.
"There, at the center, is the Citadel, where the most powerful dwarves live- Dwerstand himself included. The shrine for the Bell is beneath it. Wealth decreases as you go outward, like Bryson." There was a pause, and her hand moved to a point about a third of the way outside of the Citadel. "We're headed there- we'll take a.. less direct path, but it shouldn't take too long. There are a few employees that live permanently in the family house, they'll be surprised, but I trust them with my life."
SilverFlight SilverFlight Goonfire Goonfire Zazz Zazz Ms. Sparrow Ms. Sparrow LazyDaze LazyDaze Baconhands Baconhands

"The estate sounds like our best plan." Desrick concluded after Ora had made the suggestion.

Desrick considered Iolas' idea to spy on the Evereach soldiers. "If anyone could do it you could. Though Ora is right: Is there a chance the higher-ranked elves would know your face if Lassard does?"
Pyrrhus turned to Meera with more than a little concern. "Meera, are you quite certain? I know a raven might not be of much consequence to our targets, but Evereach soldiers are still very dangerous..."
He looked to Desrick helplessly, almost pleading for the orc to reject her offer.
Desrick considered carefully, then turned to Iolas. "Take Meera and Azaria with you when you go, but first let us see this mansion that is to be our home while we are here." Baconhands Baconhands LazyDaze LazyDaze

Pyrrhus, Crispin and Desrick all marveled at the construction within the mountain. The darkness was a welcome relief for all of them and Desrick turned to Lohr on his horse, laying a gentle hand against the drow's back. "This should suit you much better." He said with a tusky smile. Zazz Zazz
"I've never seen such large and immaculate carvings! I shall have to compose a song about this place. It simply...inspires the imagination!"

When they began to move off again Crispin pulled his horse up beside Ora's pony and reached out to her, brushing her shoulder in a tender gesture.
"Would you like to talk later? Seems like you're not all that thrilled to be home again." Flutterby Flutterby

The mansion was a large, square building built of smoothly-hewn stone. There were no gates around it but deep trenches about four feet wide that ran on into the inky black. Glowing mushrooms of all sorts and colours had been planted in patterns in a patches of gravelly sand, lined with rocks and combed into a fancy display. There was a terrace on the second floor which overhung an outdoor leisure space set with luxurious velvet cushions adorned with gold trim. There was gold inlay snaking up the pillars that supported the terrace and gold in the furniture that sat outside among the cushions.Some of those cushions were large enough for Pyrrhus to lie down on, and it looked like he very much wanted to. The front facade they were facing was bare on the first floor save for a pair of large oak doors which bore the crest that Ora had carried with her all this time.

"Let us rest a bit first." Desrick suggested. "We can send the teams out after a good sleep, we need to watch Evereach, find out more about the orcs' involvement, perhaps question some of the local dwarves, and someone should investigate the shrine where the bell was kept."

Goonfire Goonfire Flutterby Flutterby Zazz Zazz Ms. Sparrow Ms. Sparrow LazyDaze LazyDaze Baconhands Baconhands

Ora looked up at Crispin, and her face relaxed into a sad, tender smile.
"Crispin.. the city isn't really my home anymore. I come here for business, not much else. The cabin has been my home for quite a while now." Her voice was gentle, full of gratitude. "There are some things that I'd like to talk about, some things I should explain about.. what exactly my standing is in Dwerstand. I- you all may be surprised by this."
She glanced at the others for a heartbeat, not entirely keen on everyone hearing her. Even with as much as she cared for them all, trusted them, how many of them knew about her previous position? Desrick, Iolas and Pyhrrus? Had she told Lohr? She couldn't even recall if she had mentioned it to Crispin..

As they reached the estate, Ora drew her pony to a halt and dismounted. She approached the door and pulled a gold-hued cord at the right side. Somewhere within, a bell chimed.
A few moments later, one of the massive doors opened a crack, and a face peeked through. His golden eyes widened in surprise, and he hurried to push the door wider.
"Miss Ora! We didn't know you would be-" The dwarf, clearly young from his lack of beard, stopped suddenly when he saw her company.
"I know," She reassured him, glancing at the empty space behind his head as he gaped at the visitors.
"That's.." He swallowed and glanced between her, Desrick, and Iolas. ".. a lot of horses, Miss Ora." It was clear he had to think hard to come up with something polite to say.
"Mmm, so maybe you grab your parents, and you and your sisters get a head start on getting them settled?" Ora was trying to hide a smile as the boy nodded and vanished inside, leaving the door ajar.
"They'll be just a moment."

There was a small chorus of footsteps from the hidden hall. A moment later, the entire family emerged, all as dark-haired as the boy. The father was still shorter than Ora, and had the distinguished, braided beard of a full-blooded dwarf. His wife had the traditional stylized sideburns, two clean swirls framing her cheeks. The boy was joined by two girls, one older and one younger. They were dressed plainly, but the fabric was clean and high quality.
"Everyone, this is the Ravenheart family. Eldrich, Winifred, Amelia, Arthur, and Adeline." She indicated them in turn- father, mother, and then the children in age order. Everyone but the father looked nervous. He looked amused, mostly.
Eldrich stepped forward, herding the kids, motioning them to dismount. "The children can get those horses to the stable."
With the horses being mostly handled by the three children, Winifred and Eldrich ushered them into the house.

The doorway opened into a grand foyer. The inside was the same light gray colored stone as the outside. The entry, and the entire estate, was decorated in gold, maroon, and white. A plush rug cascaded down the grand staircase, one of those that split into two branches halfway up, cushioning the polished gray stone. In the middle of the stair's branch, a massive family crest hung on the wall, surrounded by gold embellishments. To their right, a ballroom with a soaring, gilded ceiling. To their left, a massive dining room with a white marble fireplace every ten feet. The walls were draped in maroon. Window coverings were gold or white, as was the furniture. Everything inside was the highest quality, begging to be admired and envied. Every detail had been carefully picked to exude lavishness. Some of those details were now a little outdated, no longer trendy, but the effect was the same.

Once inside, and the door had swung shut, Eldrich turned and fixed Ora with a warm glare.
"You have caused my wife quite a bit of distress," He said, waggling his finger comically. He passed his eyes over the strangers. "I suppose you expect this to count as a 'peculiarity'?"
Winifred gave a shake of her head, and said through tight lips, "Just glad to see you back in one piece."
Ora looked between the two dwarves, and finally settled on Winifred. "Would you mind feeding the lot of us? We.. skipped breakfast."
The woman gave a nervous smile and nodded, quickly heading toward the dining room with a call of, "Don't you fret, Miss Ora!"

Ora looked at Eldrich next, and sighed, "I know you have questions, and I promise I will explain everything. Later, before bed. But, for now.. our presence here must be as secret as possible. Especially if you are to be safe."
Eldrich's face grew serious, and he nodded. "I understand, Miss Ora. I'll help the children get some rooms fixed up." Quickly, he disappeared the way that his wife had.
"Well.. welcome to the Hearth villa. Um.. the Ravenheart's live here full-time, care for the place and Eldrich handles day-to-day operations of the mine. They have the east wing. We'll take the west wing, there's plenty of room. The only thing is that the gardens are not shielded from the public eye, so its best to stay inside if possible. Any.. any questions?" When Ora turned back to the group to say this, her face had grown a little red, and her eyes darted nervously between the faces, looking for reactions.
SilverFlight SilverFlight Goonfire Goonfire Zazz Zazz Ms. Sparrow Ms. Sparrow LazyDaze LazyDaze Baconhands Baconhands

Last edited:
Iolas listened to all of the other suggestions. Only giving Ora a nod with a playful smirk as she asked him a question. "He certainly did. I was extremely flattered that he would remember little ol me," Iolas hummed. Desrick chimed in, and actually didn't seem to have any animosity, or frustration. Iolas hated to admit it, but he probably had a few stereotypes of orcs although he had been through Cyndara a few times. He was actually fairly level headed...one could argue the most level headed out of everyone in the group. He seemed to consider Iolas' suggestion, but Iolas had already thought it through before uttering those words. He knew that only the Sumennan's in their group could try to pull something like that off, and if you wanted to get any valuable information from the soldiers you would probably have to share their blood. He knew that Meera could be useful as a shapeshifter; however, she was still young and it would be dangerous even with her abilities. Knowing that, he couldn't just volunteer her to put her life on the line. He couldn't volunteer anyone;he didn't want to. Iolas smiled as he thought about Desrick's question. To think they would remember Iolas, and call him the traitor. It was obvious that he was sent on a suicide mission, and the political nonsense behind it was even more evident. "I'll be offended if the have completely forgotten me. I wouldn't worried, I'm sure they would be enamored with my presence," Iolas giggled as he tiptoed around the question. Eventually it was decided that he, Meera, and Azaria would be spying. He was tempted to request Crow for old times sake, but quickly remembered this wasn't a vacation. "Seems like we are partners again. I could not say that I am disappointed, but business before pleasure and all that," Iolas said with a chuckle. Just as quickly he turned to Meera. He paused before saying anything, but the words found him as they often did, unfortunately. "Did you know that ravens often represent bad omens. I was supposed to say something inspirational, but I must have forgotten it. Oh well, I am sure we will be fine."

_______​

The rest of the way he was taking in the sights trying to see how much has changed in _his time. The dwarfs were amazing, ironically this was one of the few times he could appreciate them. For the longest time they were rivals. He had even dealt with a few dwarfs during his Everreach days. In his defense he dealt with almost everybody and anybody. Although he had half expected a fairly exquisite abode by how she described, albeit minimally, he was still shocked to in all its grandeur. He avoided saying anything until they were officially introduced, but he made sure to shoot the children a smile...he couldn't resist. Nevertheless, it was a bit strange. Ora seemed uncomfortable ever since the mentioning of Dwerstand, and now was no different. Iolas mulled over the fact that perhaps she might be shy but it had to be something more. Tragic, or strange backstories were not uncommon among them; in fact, they almost had to have uncommon upbringings to be in an uncommon situation. He never really had the chance to have serious talks with her, so he could only make assumptions based on what she displayed on the surface; good thing she was never the best at hiding her emotions. Avoiding serious talks was mostly calculated since you often had to give information to get information. His talks with Crow, Pyrrhus, and Azaria were a testament to that. "Oh," Iolas said as his thoughts were interrupted by Ora. "He gave a dramatic bow to her family and then returned upright. "Iolas Oraxilim...don't mind me. I recently found out I'm a dog, so I'm practically harmless. Ora has trained me quite well." Of course he said this with a straight face, choosing to embrace the awkwardness and cast it upon himself. He then appeared to have a delayed reaction as he gasped. "But Ora, you never told us you were a princess," he said overly surprised. He had to say, he couldn't imagine willingly leaving such a place. He had many questions, but he didn't know how to go about getting answers.

Flutterby Flutterby SilverFlight SilverFlight Zazz Zazz Ms. Sparrow Ms. Sparrow Baconhands Baconhands

Inside, Lohrithe felt more at home than he had in quite some time. What light there was under the great mountain was subtle enough for his eyes; he felt relief as they watered after being subjected to the harsh sun of Summerbrynde. He smiled at Desrick's comment. The drow couldn't help but look around in awe of Ora's home city, craning his neck until his hood fell back to see the ceiling. The stone seemed to have very little colour variation, unlike his home, but it felt good nonetheless to be underground again. He felt a little homesick, he realized.

"Beautiful carvings," he commented as they passed. The drow grinned at the garden outside the large house they approached. It was almost like home, yet so... forcibly organized. Like the rest of Sumenna.

Inside, Lohrithe excused himself from the group, gently heading after the lady dwarf.

He found her in the kitchens. Entering quietly, he came into her peripheral view with a gentle smile. "May I help?"

Ora eyed Iolas, eyes sparking with annoyance. She parted her lips to snap at him, and then hesitated. Why did he have to say that? Was he.. trying to ease the tension? Trying to ask without asking? Trying to tease her in good nature?
Ora stifled her indignation, and she forced a smile in Iolas's direction.
"You know better than that, Iolas." She chided softly, and then glanced at the others. To them, mostly the Cyndarans with little experience with nobility, she explained.
"Only members of the Dwerstand family can be princes and princesses. The people they marry make up the dukes and duchesses. Before my title was removed, I was a marchioness. Highest rank available to non-royals. There are always twelve families at that rank- they've since replaced the Hearths with another family."
Ora hesitated, wondering if she should say more about the title no longer belonging to her family. Did it really matter, after all this time?

In the kitchen, Winifred and Eldrich were whispering back and forth, eyebrows furrowed and lips tight, while the children lingered in another doorway and pretended not to watch their parents.
When Lohr appeared, the lot of them started. The younger girl- Adeline, no more than 8 years old, actually squeaked. The parents quickly shared a look, and Eldrich cleared his throat.
"The children and I will fix up some rooms for you lot." He forced his tone and face to be cheerful, and hurried the children through the doorway and up the stairs.
Winifred wrung her hands for only a split second, and then humphed and pointed to a large, dark loaf of bread sitting on a cutting board.
"I suppose you can cut that into some good sized slices, if you can do it proper. I've already put the big kettle on for some tea." Her tone was not meant to be cheerful, but it was polite.
"Mid-afternoon, short notice like this, not much to be done for cooking. But here's always bread and cheese and the jerky Miss Ora likes. See what else I can find." Winifred bustled between the bulky wooden table in the center of the large kitchen and the pantry, each time emerging with a new basket of something. Between runs she glanced at Lohr, pretending to inspect his work.
Zazz Zazz

Meera was relieved when Ora stated that nobody should be travelling the city alone. But it was short-lived relief; Pyrrhus's concern shot an arrow of guilt right through her, and all she could do was give the centaur a semi-confident, reassuring look when Desrick told Iolas to take the shapeshifter and Azaria with him to spy on the Evereach soldiers. Nerves flooded her system - part of her wanted to back down, say that it would be a bad idea for her to go, that she would somehow be a detriment to the other two. She forced those thoughts from her mind, determined to do something positive for the group. Iolas' comment almost dragged them back to the fore, but they were beaten away by anger at his poorly timed remark; was he questioning her abilities? Obviously he was. He doubted her, he thought they would fail because of her. Maybe all of the Summenans in this party thought that. She would prove them wrong.

Meera's anger was replaced by awe; the view of the city was frankly stunning and the shapeshifter found herself admiring every nook and cranny the party passed. The dwarves had put so much detail into their buildings that she was convinced that no other piece of architecture could impress her more, until they passed the next building. And then the next. And the next.
"Everything is just... just amazing. It's such a prosperous city! There has to be a lot of traders here! The Troupe would love it; it's out of the sun. I wonder if they would travel here if they could." Meera mused aloud, bounding from oddity to oddity.

Upon the party's arrival at the estate, the shapeshifter had returned to her human form. The introduction to the Ravenheart family for some reason set Meera at ease. "They seem nice," she commented. "Maybe they have some stories to tell." Her eyes went wide, and landed on Ora, "Can we go to that big building in the middle? Please! When... you know when me Iolas and Az get back! I don't really want to go inside it but it looked amazing and I imagine there has to be a lot of detail on it and lots of history behind all the details and I really want to find out about it. So... can we?"
Flutterby Flutterby SilverFlight SilverFlight Goonfire Goonfire Zazz Zazz Ms. Sparrow Ms. Sparrow LazyDaze LazyDaze

In the kitchen, Winifred and Eldrich were whispering back and forth, eyebrows furrowed and lips tight, while the children lingered in another doorway and pretended not to watch their parents.
When Lohr appeared, the lot of them started. The younger girl- Adeline, no more than 8 years old, actually squeaked. The parents quickly shared a look, and Eldrich cleared his throat.
"The children and I will fix up some rooms for you lot." He forced his tone and face to be cheerful, and hurried the children through the doorway and up the stairs.
Winifred wrung her hands for only a split second, and then humphed and pointed to a large, dark loaf of bread sitting on a cutting board.
"I suppose you can cut that into some good sized slices, if you can do it proper. I've already put the big kettle on for some tea." Her tone was not meant to be cheerful, but it was polite.
"Mid-afternoon, short notice like this, not much to be done for cooking. But here's always bread and cheese and the jerky Miss Ora likes. See what else I can find." Winifred bustled between the bulky wooden table in the center of the large kitchen and the pantry, each time emerging with a new basket of something. Between runs she glanced at Lohr, pretending to inspect his work.

Lohrithe dutifully set to carving the dark loaf into good sized slices once his hands were washed. He could tell that the dwarves were on edge, and he wanted to ease whatever prejudices they might have towards their interesting group. Plus, he just liked helping.

The drow could feel Winifred's gaze. He smiled. "Are these good sizes?" He asked, acknowledging her lurking.

Crow blushed as he was complimented for his disguise. He remained fairly silent, but maintained a stiff posture while riding sidesaddle. Meera broke his silence as she and Pyrrhus voiced their concerns to one another. “I worry about the archers, in your case,” he admitted. “How are your reflexes, Meera?”

Once inside, he idly listened to the banter, wondering if these caretakers and residents of the villa could be trusted. He would ask Ora later. For the moment, though, he would keep wearing this thoroughly uncomfortable disguise, roasting scalp be damned. Iolas’ sarcasm prompted an eye roll, but incurred no further backlash from the inquisitor; he would let the man have his fun.

Crow’s stomach growled, reminding him of the breakfast all party members missed. He took up watch by Lohr, watching him slice the bread. “That looks precise and... perpendicular,” he complimented awkwardly with a shrug. What could he say? It’s bread. “May I take a slice?”

SilverFlight SilverFlight Zazz Zazz LazyDaze LazyDaze Flutterby Flutterby Baconhands Baconhands

Last edited:
Ora cleared her throat softly as she watched Meera babble. With no small amount of discomfort, she spoke again.
"I.. do not go to the Citadel anymore. You will likely get to see it while you are out.. spying, because Evereach is probably there with the orcs. But that is the one place in the city that I cannot take you." Her tone was stiff, and she realized how unfriendly it sounded.
"I'm sorry, maybe I can make it up to you by showing you somewhere else. The market, maybe, since Winifred will need more food to make a dinner for all of us." Her ears had grown red again, but she tried not to think about it.
Baconhands Baconhands

Winifred eyed the pieces, and gave a decisive nod.
"You lot must be hungry, missing breakfast... traveling such a long way," The dwarf woman's eyes were a sharp amber, betraying a cleverness her homely attitude tried to hide. She was fishing for information, and purposely not being all that subtle about it. She looked up as Crow entered, and nodded toward the rest of the food- a few blocks of cheese (all fairly pungent), a bowl of thick reddish-brown jerky, a basket of mixed fruits.
"The bread, your pick of this." Winifred was staring at the elf's hair as she said it, wondering why this elf woman didn't look quite right. "Dinner won't be for a few hours yet, and not until someone goes to the market."
Zazz Zazz Goonfire Goonfire
SilverFlight SilverFlight LazyDaze LazyDaze Ms. Sparrow Ms. Sparrow

Iolas definitely wanted to learn more about Ora's position in the dwarf hierarchy, but he figured he could ask her more directly later should the moment arise. Until then he simply shook his head as he nodded. "Oh, I see." As the day continued he was grateful to be eating something, anything, once again although he was not particularly perturbed by the lack of food they've had recently. He eyed Ora again who appeared to be uncomfortable yet again when discussing matters of her hometown. When Ora offered to take Meera to the market Iolas jumped at the chance. "Then its decided. Ora will be taking me and Meera to the market," Iolas said gleefully as he conveniently included himself in the conversation. Iolas then gave her a brief serious look. Not one of disdain, or even worry, but a look as if to say, "I know something isn't right."

Iolas turned his attention to Winifried who was being more than hospitable given the situation. Iolas pretended to draw tears as he buried his face in his hands at the mention of breakfast. "Alas...Sir Porridge, his sacrifice was not in vein," Iolas said as he recalled the spilled porridge. Looking up at Winifried, Iolas returned to his normal demeanor before speaking again. "Indeed, we have all traveled a long way from very different paths as you could probably already see. Our lives were like a stolen crystal, sparkling even if eyes were unable to fall on its dazzling light. As the darkness became overtaken by light, we trudged on without fear, dancing under the sun until the night quietly swallowed it yet again. Neither mountains, armies, or ferocious beast could stop such a dance, a dance of life and everlasting friendship." Iolas took a slice of bread as if he had not said anything at all. Essentially, he told Winifried everything that transpired since he had joined the rogue group of creatures. "This is wonderful, complements to the chef."

Baconhands Baconhands Flutterby Flutterby

Meera had an urge to press again; her mouth opened to try and follow up with another question. She forced it closed. It was not her place to ask Ora why she was so reluctant, why she couldn't go to the Citadel again. At least not yet. The shapeshifter resolved to ask the dwarf later, maybe when it was calmer, and maybe when there was alcohol being passed around.
"The market sounds nice," Meera said after a moment, her eyes glancing between Iolas and Ora. "There has to be a lot of unique things that grow here. Oh! Do you grow apples here? The one's back at the monastery were amazing! I imagine some fruit would go well with a good dessert, or could possibly be the dessert."
She paused, thinking, her expression suggesting all intrigue and curiosity about Ora's past had been forgotten. She looked to both Iolas and Ora, her face alight with energy and enthusiasm. "Do you want to go now? I know I mentioned going to the citadel after we got back from spying but we could go now. If we go after we get back the market might be closed or worse... they might not have any apples. Unless we need to go now."
Flutterby Flutterby LazyDaze LazyDaze

"Princess or no, this place is amazing Ora." Crispin remarked as they were ushered inside.
The children took the horses away to the stables, though they had to pause when encountering Pyrrhus.
"No, I'm not a horse." the centaur sighed. "I'm actually very appreciative of the indoors, and if you'd like, I can also play a little." He held up the lute to their smiling faces.

Desrick marveled at the house, and bowed politely as he was invited inside.
"They can be trusted?" He asked Ora quietly once they had a moment.
He watched as his team settled in. Pyrrhus had taken a spot between two couches, lying on the floor and playing a cheerful little ditty while the younger children took turns sitting on his back and stroking his velvet-soft flank.
He helped himself to the bread when it was passed out.
"As much as I would love to visit the market, I should think centaurs are not too common down here. It might be wise if I were to stay behind."
"I could go though." Crispin added through a mouthful of bread. "Pyrrhus has a point, and I don't think we should risk you Des, not while we have no idea where the orcs here are actually allowed to go."
Desrick nodded thoughtfully. "Though once we do know, I might have the best chance at getting us into the citadel...while you're at the market, see what the locals will tell you. Subtlety is not a gift of my people, they would have been noticed, no matter how closely they've been kept."
"There is a lot we need to know." Pyrrhus added as he paused in his playing. "Like how they plan to move the army of orcs far enough into Cyndara to attack Myst. I assume they'd be going for the capital if they plan to conquer it."
"And what they did with the dragon bell." Crispin added.
"Those are questions for the high elves. But a way to get to them, that information we could probably find at market." Desrick finished.
"Someone needs to get into the temple and look around." Pyrrhus said. "How well guarded would it be now that the bell is gone?"
"Actually," Eldrich interjected, he'd been listening to the conversation carefully. "It's not guarded. No point anymore, our treaure is gone, now its just a big stone chamber. There is sort of a back way that lets into the temple. It goes through the lower districts and its never really used. I can draw you a map. no one will pay you any mind going down there."
Pyrrhus looked pensive. "I'd like to go too if this way is really so unused. I'm sure in the gloom a quick glamour would keep people from getting too suspicious."
Desrick frowned, but it was clear sitting in the mansion was just as unpleasant an option to him. "I'll go to the temple as well."

Crispin finished a little more food and stood. "Right, let's go to this market then, see what we can find."

Zazz Zazz Flutterby Flutterby mothspit mothspit Goonfire Goonfire LazyDaze LazyDaze Baconhands Baconhands

Ora burned under Iolas's gaze, but she purposely didn't look back at him. In the next brief moment, the Ravenhearts all rejoined them, and the food was passed throughout the group for refreshment. Ora took particular relish in the jerky, its unique clove-laden taste. It could only be found in Dwerstand.
As she ate, she gave Desrick a quick nod. Softly, she explained.
"Our families have been close for generations. Started with them as servants, but now.. they're as close as I have to family. Eldritch and Winifred will do everything they can do help us. They.. have similar opinions to mine, and aren't afraid to do what they think is moral. It's why they're still on with me."
It sounded like the only thing she was sure of since stepping foot underground.

Ora took the opportunity, while the others were debating, to get a list written down from Winifred, and to give each of the children one of the blue shells from Brynson.
She straightened up when she heard Eldritch's voice, and frowned deeply. She wasn't sure if she agreed. Even with the bell gone, there was no reason to leave such hallowed ground completely unattended. Anyone could go in and vandalize the shrine, and then what would they do if the bell came home? When, she reminded herself. They would get the bell back to Dwerstand, then she could go without any unfinished business.
Ora stopped short, hand hovering with a piece of bread just outside her lips.
Go? Go where, exactly?
The answer to that didn't matter, really. What had shocked her was this- she was going to rescue the single most important artifact to her people, and she wasn't doing it to win back their respect. The half-dwarf slowly chewed the bit of bread, baffled by her own thoughts.
Crispin's announcement gave her a bit of a start, but she quickly stood and acted as if nothing was amiss. There was dinner to buy, after all.
Zazz Zazz SilverFlight SilverFlight mothspit mothspit Goonfire Goonfire LazyDaze LazyDaze Baconhands Baconhands

Iolas listened to the others as he graciously ate his slice of bread in the most prestigious way possible. (A fork and knife.) He was once again impressed with Desricks leadership. It was easy to forget he was in a foreign land with the way he carried himself. He never seemed rushed, or rattled. He was always thinking clearly, or at least clearly enough. At the mention of the unguarded temple Iolas couldn't help but chuckle. It wasn't as if the guards were that effective seeing that a an object of such mass was taken and no one had a clue as to its current whereabouts. He kept this to himself since this seemed a bit to harsh, even for him. He tried not to bother Ora too much, but as the others continued to converse something bothered him. Similar, not congruent was the word she used to describe their alliances, and what was with that pause. Those small differences could be the death of them. The confident tone in her voice made him cast these thoughts away little by little; it was his nature to be skeptical. It wasn't all bad; after all, their own group dynamic was not often one that hinged on congruent thinking. Nevertheless, such differences have nearly cost them a few times during this journey. He almost wanted to investigate Ora as much as the Everreach soldiers...maybe he would.

"Well what are we waiting for," Iolas said with a smile as he stood up and glanced at the rest of the party.

Ms. Sparrow Ms. Sparrow Zazz Zazz Flutterby Flutterby SilverFlight SilverFlight Baconhands Baconhands

Azaria, uncharacteristically, sat with her gaze unfocused. Her fingers were folded beneath her chin, elbows on the table. She didn't like this place. Something about it set her on edge. It likely did not help that she had barely slept for their journey from Eskaro, nor that breakfast had been missed. Lohrithe had shared his berries, of course, but that was merely a sugar meal. She needed something of substance... and a nap. Even the best Everreach assassins had their limits, and Azaria's was coming close.

Bringing herself back to the table, she reached for a slice of bread, slathering it with butter. The jerky was... okay. Far too strong for her elven tastes. She watched Lohrithe with a hint of a chuckle as he spat out a small square of cheese in disgust.

He looked mortified. Even as he tried to wipe the taste from his tongue with his short sleeve, he apologized profusely. "I am so sorry, I don't mean to offend," he rambled, turning an odd shade of light purple in the cheeks as he blushed. "What is that?"

Crow had raised an eyebrow at the woman unsubtly eyeing his wig, though he said nothing. He leaned over to inspect the source of Lohr’s disgust and horror. “Oh, this? It’s cheese,” Crow started to explain. “It’s made from cows’ or goats’ milk. It tends to have a slightly pungent odor, and grows mold if you leave it uneaten, though the exact time depends on the cheese’s moisture content. Nobles say cheese complements wine at their fancy gatherings.” He knew the process of making the cheese would further disgust Lohr, so he left it up to the imagination and slipped out of the kitchen.
Zazz Zazz

Upon entering the room, it was clear the others were making plans for their investigation. Crow couldn’t help grinning gently at the children’s interactions with Pyrrhus. “Suppose I should head for the temple, too,” he offered, thinking there was still much to be learned from the crime scene. “If you’re opting for a glamour, I’d like one as well. Physical disguises are... well... uncomfortable and flimsy.” He pulled off the wig, his painted lips pursed.
SilverFlight SilverFlight LazyDaze LazyDaze Flutterby Flutterby Ms. Sparrow Ms. Sparrow Baconhands Baconhands

Ora glanced about the group, noticing that Iolas was still staring at her occasionally. He seemed keen on this development on her backstory. The person who wasn't keen on it that she had expected to be was Azaria. She was listless, almost, even though Ora had been sure she would take the chance to follow up on the hints she had dropped earlier in the journey. She tried not to worry about it.

Winifred made sure everyone had had a decent snack. She burst into a laugh when Lohr spat out the cheese. With a smile of good nature, she soothes him.
"Food down here is too strong for many from the outside. We aren't so pretentious to pretend otherwise."
As she said it, she snuck a glance over at her husband, as if making sure he hadn't heard her. Ora had, and hid a smirk, but Eldrich seemed none the wiser.

At some point, as everyone rested and snacked and socialized with the Ravenhearts, Ora disappeared. While she was gone, the Ravenhearts were generous with information about the city and about dwarves, but politely tight-lipped when conversation drifted to Ora herself.
When she reappeared, she was wearing a new set of clothes- cleaner, finer, deeper in color- and had a hooded cloak drawn over her shoulders again. As she gathered her things, she called to the others,
"Anyone coming to the market, we'll need to leave soon."

Lohrithe, still blushing, took comfort in the dwarf woman's words, though he did notice her glance her husband's way. Once he had ridden himself of the taste of cheese - whatever a cow was - he copied Azaria and smeared butter over a slice of bread. To Winifred, he explained, "My people also live underground, in a similar fashion, but I would definitely say we have a palate for sweeter foods. Cyndara has plenty of wild fruit in the forests, and we manage to grow some vegetables. The minerals in the rocks provide nutrients for flowering plants, if tended to." Some plants were poisonous, but every dark elf grew up knowing what those were. From a pocket, he produced a rock with a brownish hue struck with red veins and showed it to Winifred. A yellowish moss seemed to be growing straight out of it. "This little one helps with scurvy."

At Ora's return, Lohrithe eyes gleamed in a smile. "You look beautiful, Lady Ora." Then, with a frown, he glanced down at himself, his cheese smeared sleeve and journey-worn clothes probably reeking of sweat. "Erm... should we change?"

Winifred listened to Lohr with guarded curiosity. Ora had promised to explain in full later, but this being was more forthcoming than she expected, rasing far more questions the lady of the house would have to answer. He was an elf, she guessed this is what passed for an elf in Cyndara. Although, the red-headed one that kept a close eye of Miss Ora also appeared elven. Winifred peered at the rock closely, considering its moss while considering what Ora had done to end up in this situation. She opened her mouth to ask a question, but Ora reappeared and caught Lohr's attention.
Winifred froze, glancing between the two of them. Did he not realize how much Ora would detest the words he just said?

Ora stopped short to look at Lohr, only a trace of discomfort on her face. When would she convince the world that the title "Lady" wasn't for her anymore?
"Erm.." Ora could feel the Ravenhearts staring at her, aware of how they were expecting her to react. "If you want but it's not really necessary.. it's really mostly habit for me.."
She had no idea how to explain to sweet Lohr that it was easier to go to the market if she looked as rich as she was.
Eldrich piped up, rather suddenly, to be helpful.
"Dwarves have a tendency to ignore our Miss Ora if she doesn't dress to impress." The older man gave Ora a wink. Her smile was one of gratitude and relief.
Winifred busied herself with collecting the dishes and baskets from their snack, just barely hiding her surprise.
Zazz Zazz

But Lohrithe frowned. He did not understand the ways of the dwarves. Nor Sumennans, either, to be frank. But nonetheless, he shook his head and stood. "Ridiculous standards. Must not have horns," he grumbled, remembering what she had said of them when they had first met in Cyndara. Cursing in drowish mumbles, he left the table in a huff to help Winifred clear the table. "Blind" and "uncultured" were a couple of common words that could be understood as he left.

Once the table had been cleared, Lohrithe asked Winifred to show him where he might change. He returned to the group in less smelly, road-weathered clothing; his shirt, a handsome emerald green, paired well with the bright green irises of his pitch black eyes. It was embroidered with what Gideon had called a "paisley" pattern. To the drow, they looked like odd gourds.

Hair combed through and dressed well, Lohrithe kissed Desrick's cheek and asked the group, "To the market, then?"

___

Having zoned out for a good portion of the conversation, Azaria asked, "Sorry, what was the plan?" Her sentence broke off into a yawn and she rubbed her marked cheek with her thumb tiredly.

One look at the food on the table almost sent Meera into a feeding frenzy. The loss of breakfast coupled with the extended journey and the mere thought of picking up some fruit at the market had had a significant impact on the young shapeshifter. She tried to be civil, however, making sure to try most of the food on the table in good order. Despite this, she slipped a few things into her pocket after she had decided she liked it.

When Crispin stood, deciding it was now time to go to the market, Meera stood as well, her mouth still full of cheese and berries. She made sure to finish the contents of her mouth before she spoke. “Thanks for the food! Yes, to the market… to get more food! If anyone has the money to spare, I’d like to try any and all berries we come across. Maybe not just berries. Other fruits as well. If it’s unique to here that is. Though some apples wouldn’t go amiss.
Her eyes wandered to Iolas and the smile that had been on her face vanished in a heartbeat. "When are we supposed to be doing... well that thing we agreed we would be doing? Is that a priority for us given that... lots of people are going to the market? Surely it would be..."
LazyDaze LazyDaze Flutterby Flutterby SilverFlight SilverFlight Zazz Zazz Goonfire Goonfire mothspit mothspit

Iolas chuckled and held back a retort to Meera's statement about having enough money to spare since he had made Ora uncomfortable enough for one day...or moment. Even still he couldn't help but sarcastically glance around the room and silently chuckle to himself. Money to spare? I suppose if they were in a financial bind they could always sell one of their decorative walls. Iolas rubbed his eyes after such a hilarious thought. Holding his quips back weren't exactly easy. He ended his internal battle with a sigh. On que Azaria and then Meera began to speak of more important things. One such example was the entire reason they were here.

"I think the plan was to eat something better than bread," Iolas stated deadpanned as he shrugged his shoulders and then turned to Meera as if he suddenly had a stroke of genius. "Ohhhh you mean that. Well we can certainly stop by the market on our way to visit my not so distant cousins," Iolas said with a smile. They had already discussed a great deal in front of the Ora's family. Perhaps you could attribute it to paranoia, but Iolas was not fond of this practice. He didn't distrust them...entirely, but it was logically harder to spread information if less people had it. Iolas stood up and stretched as if he had been sitting down for an eternity. "Jokes aside we should probably stop procrastinating or else Desricks scowl will get worse,"

Baconhands Baconhands SilverFlight SilverFlight Zazz Zazz Goonfire Goonfire Flutterby Flutterby

Users who are viewing this thread

Back