• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Setting Summer Dawn

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
They were out of time. Nova had not reappeared. She had failed, Lassard would go looking for the real papers, and then they would have earned nothing for all this trouble.
Ora watched as the papers left her hand. They had weighed a hundred pounds to her, but the guard took them from her without thought, without emotion. Lassard received them brusquely, and instantly turned to strike Pyrrhus down.
Ora gasped. Not because Lassard was attacking, not because arrows flew almost instantly, not even because Pyrrhus lunged away. Lassard hadn't looked at the papers, not even a glance. We still have time.

The dwarf switched the grip on her sword, her mask falling to the ground, and went straight for the nearest guard, who was already closing on her quickly. He was tall, like the assassin. She had time to muse, I hate fighting elves, before their swords met and her focus narrowed. The image of Pyrrhus's face, contorted in pain, fueled a rage in her stomach that she hadn't known herself capable of. It wouldn't be enough to beat the trained soldier, but it was enough to keep him at bay until someone noticed her predicament.
SilverFlight SilverFlight LazyDaze LazyDaze HumbugPie HumbugPie Goonfire Goonfire Zazz Zazz mothspit mothspit

Though Azaria had been bloodlusting after Captain Lassard for most of her life, her arrow struck true into the back of the elf's shoulder. It was a barbed arrow, so it would not be pleasant, nor easy, to remove. No, she wanted to see his face up close when she took his life. Wanted to watch as his foul blood left its cruel body. She wanted Lassard to suffer.

She readied another arrow, this time aiming to help her friends, as they had come to be. Ora bravely took on an elven guard nearly twice her height. An arrow soared from her borrowed bow. She had to adjust for the humanmade bow, just a bit; her arrow buried itself in the back of the dwarf's opponent's knee, where armor was lacking, sending him down with a cry below Ora's height.

Crispin took the help and climbed unceremoniously through the window. "You're not the only one who can scale a building." He shot back, but when she offered her pilfered arrows he took them gratefully. "Good thinking!"
They both knelt at the casement now and leveled their bows at their target.
Zazz Zazz

The lady Lambent raised one slender hand and two masked women broke away from a small crowd. "My dear Bishop, I would feel much better if those precious papers were as far away from this castle as we could get them. Take my personal guard. I will stay close and make sure to return your charge to you safely."
She could almost see the tension between Stenmann and her mysterious new ally, but when Nova spoke the name Lassard she straightened. Then, she looked regretful.
"Lassard? Escape?...Lassard won't run. He doesn't have to. No matter what atrocities he has or is committing here or anywhere else...he is Evereach's hand. I am afraid he is quite untouchable."
She smiled at Nova's promise of protection. "I feel safer already."
Just then, the castle guards, alerted to the shattering of the ice statue stopped before them on their way to the gardens.
"We were called for suspected disturbances...is something happening in the garden?"
mothspit mothspit Goonfire Goonfire

Pyrrhus tried to breathe deeply. The pain was searing as the blade raked the bone under his flesh. He couldn't let Lassard hurt Crow, or any of them for that matter, he'd rather be stabbed through the heart.
Ora agreed to hand the papers over and Pyrrhus couldn't see a way out, he could only watch helplessly as Lassard moved to take the documents. It was then just at that moment Pyrrhus looked up and caught a shock of red hair peeking over a windowsill. After that everything happened in a split second:
As soon as the papers were in his hand Lassard turned back, poised and ready to drive the blade down and end Pyrrhus' life, but at the very same time a pair of arrows came flying onto the scene, one driving itself straight through Lassard's right shoulder. Pyrrhus, who had tensed all his muscles for a spring, surged forward before Lassard could even cry out in surprise, upsetting the elf's boot on his back and putting him off balance.
Pyrrhus' hands still grasped the pole, though one shoulder was near-useless as he'd been injured further with Lassard's embedded blade slashing open muscle and skin as he broke away.
He was between Crow and Lassard in a heartbeat, ready to face what was coming. Blood trailed a scarlet stream down his back and equine shoulder. Lassard's trained men, five remaining, were already moving to attack the rest of the party.
The three centaurs broke free of the guard's control and they were let go as Lassard's men were now focused on killing the hostile party.
Flutterby Flutterby mothspit mothspit Goonfire Goonfire LazyDaze LazyDaze Zazz Zazz HumbugPie HumbugPie
"He ain't untouchable for long," Nova snarled. The Bishop's snark aside, they needed to get out of here, and fast. She made a small smile, sliding her arm across the Lady's shoulder to gently pulling her closer, "Don't worry, I'll keep you safe."

Just as they made their leave, a swath of guards entered the garden inquiring about what was taking place. Nova inhaled sharply; Why must everyone be so damn interested in the garden? She straightened her back and gave a nonchalant, dismissive wave, "Just a stray animal that clawed it's way over the garden gates. Nothing to worry about."

She looked over to the two nobles at her sides, scoffing at the Bishop's comment about an eggplant. Not suspicious at all. "I believe she was saying your robes make you look like an eggplant, friend. Now if you excuse us--"

With a slight look of urgency, Nova quickly ushered the Lady toward the opposite direction. It was clear that something had happened, there was no way they could be locked in a stalemate for this long. Her original idea of organizing an ambush wouldn't prove feasible, and trying to contain the chaos to the garden was really the only option that guaranteed Lassard's death. Hopefully. Nova could only hope the Lady was good with a knife..

"Things might get a little crazy," She whispered, offering up her knife to the noble, "Take this. Stab anyone that gets too close."

Meanwhile, the next few moments, from Trileon's perspective, seemed to happen in slow motion. Lassards attack, the arrows hitting him, and the advancing guards. Though things had turned again in their favor, it was getting difficult for her to focus. The wound on the side of her head had somewhat coagulated, stopping the bloodflow for now, but now left behind a debilitating headache. She sucked in a deep breath, again throwing up her dragon-scaled gauntlets to deflect an oncoming attack, now locked in a tense fight with a disgruntled elf. He managed to get some good cuts in-- Slicing open the midrif of her dress and cutting across her abs. She winced in pain, and just when she went for a return attack, someone.. latched onto the elf's back, taking him down to the ground with terrifying speed. The individual seized the elf's sword with a quickness, driving the blade through his chest.

Nova stood to her feet with a fierce cry of excitement, dawning a pair of leather gloves she brought with her from her bosom. She wasn't good with a sword, but when it came to close-quarters-combat, Nova was the undefeated champion.

"Easy there dollface, don't wanna wear yourself out." She remarked with a smirk, taking up Trileon's side, "Jeez, you look terrible."

Trileon, though wounded an in pain, stifled a grateful smile, "What happened to sticking together?"

"Hey, plans change. I'm here now, ain't I?" She got into fighting position, hands raised, ready to smack down any baddie that came her way.

SilverFlight SilverFlight Flutterby Flutterby Goonfire Goonfire Zazz Zazz

Lassard's hands had touched the papers, and it seemed as if the situation was framed for eternity. Any moment now, someone was going to die. Just before Iolas could move in anticipation an arrow, seemingly sent from the divine, cut through the air and struck Lassard with remarkable timing and accuracy; everything was a blur afterwards. The guards scrambled around like a headless snake. Pyrrhus, amazingly, still had the strength to act; preserving his own life as well as protecting the others. There were five guards left...and Lassard. Iolas found himself already charging forward, not fooled by the wounded lion as he decided to take him out before he conjured up any other ace's up the proverbial sleeve. He burst forward, with both of his blades drawn with the intent to kill. However, the ever faithful guards, two and total, closed in on Iolas in order to slow him down.

"Expediting your judgement will not forestall his," Iolas spat angrily at his new opponents. he first guard, who was ahead of the second one swung his sword mightily in vertical fashion, a move that Iolas easily sidestepped with such precision that the blade nearly brushed passed his mask, causing it to fall harmlessly to the ground. Iolas stepped on his sword in order to briefly render him harmless, just before flipping over his head while twirling his swords into a reverse grip. Iolas ended the flip with a deep stab to both shoulder blades of the trailing guard before pulling his swords out of the descending shoulder and swinging his swords back behind him to deliver a pincer styled strike to the first guard who was now behind him without having to turn in his direction. Their wounds were crippling, and even fatal if not treated. With a twirl and flick of his blades Iolas continued his sprint to his original target, annoyed by the attempts of the small fry to protect someone as sinister as Lassard. He thought he saw someone else near him, and now his eyes confirmed that Pearl was brandishing her blade toward Lassard. It was unsettling, someone like her should not have been filled with enough hate to kill, but it was also dangerous. Lassard was wounded, but he knew a simple arrow would not be enough to incapacitate him. Even Iolas himself wandered through the harsh environment of Cyndara after nearly losing his arm. Despite his desire to end Lassard's life, there was another issue...and that was time. Iolas was certain that eventually others would be drawn to the gardens and they would not be happy with Cyndarans crashing their party. They had to end this quickly. "I never thanked you for the invitation," Iolas said with a smirk just before getting in range of Lassard. Once in range Iolas spun around to Lassard's injured side while gaining momentum to deliver a slashing strike should he not avoid it. They would need to escape...and soon.

HumbugPie HumbugPie Zazz Zazz SilverFlight SilverFlight

Pyrrhus was nearly caught by the blinding flashes, but he has the sense to look away. Lassard was not so lucky, and clutching his shoulder he snarled as the light took his vision in that moment.
The centaur was touched by Crow's concern.
"You're making it very hard for me to protect you, you know!" He hefted the staff with his good arm.
"It's not immediately serious." He dismissed his injury, though it pained him greatly. The safety of his friends came first.
The fury-filled war cry surprised him, but not more than the sight of the mild-mannered Pearl running a man through. The shock registered on his face for a brief moment, but there wasn't time to dwell. They were literally fighting for their lives.
HumbugPie HumbugPie Goonfire Goonfire

Lassard staggered back, the arrow shaft sprouting from his shoulder and sunspots clouding his vision. Still, he grasped the arrow in his other hand and snapped the fletching off.
He couldn't see Pearl, but sneered in her direction.
"You think you can kill me?" He nearly laughed. "I have endured much more than the likes of you and your contemptible friends."
HumbugPie HumbugPie Goonfire Goonfire

"Nice shot!" Crispin praised as Azaria's second arrow had hit the assassin attacking Ora. Lassard's lackeys were dwindling now. He drew his bow again, but by that time Lassard and his men had the sense to move out of line of sight. It was time to get down.
"We'd better move before they decide to return fire. Besides, our friends need more than cover fire right now."
He took hold of the sill and slipped like a cat out the window and down the ivy trialing the rough stonework.
Zazz Zazz

Crispin made it to Ora's side in no time and when he appeared, he was holding the mask she had dropped.
"It would be a shame to lose such a beautiful thing." He paused for only a moment, smile taking on a roguish tilt, "though I'd much rather see you without it."
He pulled the bow across his back and pulled a bollock dagger from its sheath at his hip, the only bladed weapon he knew how to use.
"At your service my lady!"
Flutterby Flutterby

"Y-yes. Eggplant." Lambent repeated. "Well? What are you still standing here for?"
The guards jumped at her harsh tone and hurried on their way.
"I really hope you don't need them." She told Nova, the doubt apparent in her voice.
She followed Nova as far as she lead, but when Nova offered her the blade she rolled her eyes with a smile. Pulling up the folds of her dress she revealed a three-quarter sword strapped to her thigh.
"How many noble parties have you actually been to? No one ever comes unarmed."
She watched Nova go, keeping herself out of Lassard's sight as she surveyed the fight, which seemed to be rapidly turning against the high elf.
mothspit mothspit

The mistake Iolas made was speaking before he attacked. Lassard knew it was coming, and even blinded, he could pinpoint Iolas' position. He stumbled backwards, dropping his sword, he looked panicked as Iolas closed. It was a lie. At the very last minute he pulled a dagger from his sleeve, twisting the blade around to try and drive it straight into Iolas' gut.
"Mark me, you will die Iolas. Slowly and painfully..."
LazyDaze LazyDaze
((This fight can be extended in firelight if you like))

The guards, though shaken by the Lady Lambent's scolding, could not be kept off the scent forever, and when they stormed the garden they arrived to find a handful of party guests and a number of dead assassins.
They filtered onto the scene, leveling spears while the captain advanced. "What happened here?" He asked.
Flutterby Flutterby mothspit mothspit LazyDaze LazyDaze Goonfire Goonfire HumbugPie HumbugPie Zazz Zazz

The fighting all but done Pyrrhus dropped the curtain rod and sank to his knees, finally allowing himself to rest the muscles in his back and try to ease some of the pain.
The three centaurs they had freed stepped closer, their faces etched with concern.
"You saved us." Atteyo said, the gratitude plain in his voice.
"We were the reason you were targeted." Pyrrhus replied bitterly. "I hope your wounds are not bad? I can heal them...if you give me a moment to catch my breath..."
"Better than yours." Atteyo shot back. "You are in no condition to heal anyone. Your friend is right, you are losing blood too quickly. You need healing more."
Atteyo turned to Crow. "Do you know healing magic?"
Pyrrhus straightened, and the sudden movement made him wince.
"Absolutely not. The wound is too deep, and you are only a beginner. You could use too much of your own energy. It isn't worth it."
Goonfire Goonfire

Crow mustered his will, growing calmer and more collected with the tide turning. While it was indeed dangerous to stay within the garden, he refused to be daunted by any battle raging around him, or by discouragement. “True; I’m only a beginner, but I do have other methods to supplement magic,” he informed the centaurs prior to demonstrating what he meant.

“Let’s see... alcohol,” Crow muttered aloud, fishing through the assassins’ belongings until he found a handsome silver flask. He uncapped it and sniffed it; this was strong liquor, judging by the smell. ‘Someone was drinking to forget, but I bet he always remembered.’ To ensure it wasn’t poisoned, he tilted the flask, letting a few drops of the whiskey hit his tongue. “This will do...”

“Next, a clean cloth.”
Most of the male assassins had handkerchiefs, though finding one that wasn’t covered in blood and dirt was the challenge. Crow spied the perfect mark, stealing the handkerchief from one of the guards Iolas had promptly and precisely punished for interfering. “And finally,” he started, rummaging through his pocket. “A needle and thread... it will suffice, for the time being. Now, this way. You’re going nowhere with your shoulder like that.” His tone was compassionate, but firm; he wasn’t taking ‘no’ for an answer.

With a wave to notify Trileon, the inquisitor led Pyrrhus away from the scene as the castle guards encroached upon the garden. He wouldn’t refuse the company of the other centaurs, as they also required care for their cuts and bruises. Once away from prying eyes, he began his work. “Now, lie down,” he urged before hesitantly tearing the stained fabric and examining the wound. “This blood is darker; you have... some venous bleeding, but no arterial. Several torn muscles... we can work on mending those over time.” Applying the whiskey to the handkerchief and his own hands, Crow apologized in advance. “I’m sorry, but this will sting. Be as still as possible, and... feel free to take a swig.” Carefully, he cleaned around the flesh wound, taking care to not stick the cloth into it; as he was taught by the keen inquisition medical instructors, alcohol could hinder the healing process if dumped into an open wound.
SilverFlight SilverFlight mothspit mothspit

The once-clean handkerchief was soiled, drenched in blood and booze. Crow’s process was slightly out-of-order, but he continued by applying pressure. The blood flow slowed to a mere trickle, and he took this as his cue to give several small injections of magic. Over the course of a minute, no significant change was observed, aside from the lighter bleeding. The musclular tissue damage would require a more seasoned healer, though he laid the groundwork for more extensive healing procedures. “I’ve bought us a few minutes by stanching the bleeding. No sudden movements of that arm. Perhaps Trileon could provide further assistance in a moment... unless you prefer I did some loose stitching for now.”
———
The damn guards had to be wiser... The bishop made no move to stop them, as it would be incriminating. That wouldn’t be ideal for the man carrying the valueable yield of his son’s labor. “Regardless of your skill and preparedness, do be careful in this trash dump,” he droned, donning his mask once more. With his final well-wishes to Lady Lambent, the high inquisitor departed for his carriage. He made a mental note to check the trunk for any Evereach stowaways; he wasn’t in the mood for party favors...
SilverFlight SilverFlight

Lohrithe, now that the centaurs seemed to be less of a target, knocked an assassin upside the head with his mace, then placed himself between Pyrrhus and Crow and any potential harm. Iolas seemed to have Lassard under control, and Desrick was fine. The centaurs needed medical attention, as did Trileon; her head had a nasty, bloody gash.

Azaria climbed down after Crispin, strapping the bow and a quiver to her back and minding her dress; she was very glad she had worn her boots and not some outrageous heels. On the ground, she skirted around the high elves locked in half-blind combat; her bloodlust was not enough to let her friend die. She knelt beside Pyrrhus and took his hand, worried eyes glimmering behind her dark mask.

Lohrithe saw the halfling elf. Trusting that she would be enough to protect them, he left to approach Trileon. Dropping his mace, he promptly lifted the beastwoman without asking, intending to carry her over to Crow. "Your head, Lady Trileon."

Ora watched as an arrow flew in her direction, all but ending her fight for her. It only took another blow to finish the elf. Crispin joined her, with that beautiful crooked grin, but she didn't have it in her to return it. Instead, she just whispered "Thank you," and turned to address the rest of the battle.

Iolas had handled Lassard the best he could. Others were tending to Pyrrhus. With the fight over, Ora felt like they might be able to finally relax. At the thought, her eyes began to water and sting. Until more guards showed up. She tensed, almost raised her weapon. But they weren't Lassard's men; if they were they would know what was happening and just attack.
Ora's hand loosened, dropping the sword as she stepped forward. She forced the tears that had welled up to flow down her cheeks obviously. "Oh thank the peaks!" Like a proper lady, she wobbled as if she might faint as she stepped toward the captain.
"In all my years I never- I know what they say- oh, dear, I never thought-" She paused, wiping her tears off her cheeks in an embarrassing way. "Im so sorry Captain.. we just wanted to walk through the garden! I- I don't know what those men were up to, they attacked as soon as they saw us! I-I can't believe we survived!" With a sob, Ora lurched toward the captain, as if to fall against his chest and weep, or faint on the spot.
SilverFlight SilverFlight mothspit mothspit LazyDaze LazyDaze Goonfire Goonfire HumbugPie HumbugPie Zazz Zazz

Pyrrhus looked visibly drained. He watched Crow take what he needed from the battle field, having little energy to argue. He eyed the flask of alcohol nervously.
Crow's firm orders, in his half-aware state, were strangely comforting. Pyrrhus struggled to his feet, the slash Lassard had given him on his foreleg to fell him flared with pain again, but he gritted his teeth against it and followed with a strong limp. A stone bench sat just off the stone path and Pyrrhus knelt, lying his torso across it, giving Crow a place to sit and work beside him.
He listened as Crow used the alcohol to sterilize the equipment. He even offered some to the ailing centaur.
"Ah, thank you but...we don't. Bad things happen when centaurs drink."
When the soaked cloth touched his wound he stifled a cry. "Stars! You weren't kidding!...Ah!"
Suddenly Azaria was there, holding his hand, and every time the pain flared he would squeeze her hand tightly, grateful for her presence.
He tried to keep as still as possible while Crow worked. He felt the magic seep through his skin, mingle with his own, or, what he could muster of it.
When Crow offered to stitch the wound Pyrrhus turned back to meet his eyes.
"I trust you...Crow."
Goonfire Goonfire Zazz Zazz

Desrick followed up soon after, having fought a guard or two himself in the beginning. The hostage situation had near-killed him with worry, and he loathed Lassard for what he had done.
Lohr had Trileon in his arms when Desrick approached.
"She needs a cold compress. Some of that ice from the broken centaur statues in the great hall will do. Will you fetch some? I can tend Trileon."
Desrick had almost left his healing supplies behind, but good sense had told him to hide them under his doublet just before they left. It was a good thing too, because he had a few herbs that did well for head injuries. "Trileon, you need to sit, and stay still for a moment. Do you feel dizzy at all? Is your vision clear?"
Zazz Zazz mothspit mothspit

Crispin held his hands up. "Um, that one wasn't actually me. You can thank Azaria." He wasn't about to take credit for something he didn't do, as much as he wanted to impress Ora.
When she rounded on the guard he had to look away to hide his smile. She was absolutely brilliant at this and watching the guard puff out his chest, eating up every word was a priceless sight.
Flutterby Flutterby

((I will reply with the guards after the others get a chance to post))

Last edited:
Crow was quick to drive his needle through the tender flesh, over and over again, working his way from bottom to top of the wound with the skill of some Eskaroi devil. There was still more work to be done, and much opportunity for growth. “I will continue to treat your wounds over the next few days, as magic may be one of the few solutions to these tears in your miuscles,” he stated, easing his way over to Pyrrhus’ damaged leg. “Now, brace yourself; we’re on the last leg of this.” He was oblivious to the pun he had made.

Another splash of alcohol, and Crow was prepared to heal and stitch the finer slice from the actual swing. He repeated the process of pressure, the slightest degree of healing magic, and then stitching. Occasionally, he slowed to give Pyrrhus a pat on the back or words of encouragement. “Thank you... for trusting me.”

Azaria was also there, watching over the initial healing process. Crow was ever-grateful for her work thus far. “That sniper shot from before... that was you, was it not?” he questioned, tracing the whole timeline of events in his mind. “That makes the second time you’ve saved me from Lassard. I owe you a lot, but... I suppose my thanks will have to suffice for the moment.”
SilverFlight SilverFlight Zazz Zazz

Lohrithe nodded, happy to be helping his best friend again. He set the injured beastwoman down with Desrick and headed for the ballroom, leaving his mace behind. Ora was dealing with the Brynson guards well, and he had to fight a grin as he passed them on his way inside.

Azaria ran her free hand through Pyrrhus's hair, making an effort not to show that he was sort of crushing her hand with each squeeze. "Shh, just relax... You're in good hands," she soothed, glancing at Crow. He didn't owe her anything, in her mind. He had proven himself as one of the team. One who cared for her very best friend. Her green eyes were full of emotion when she looked directly at the inquisitor. "Just help him," she breathed. There was no malice in her voice.

Lohrithe returned with a pair of glasses filled with ice from the sculpture. He kneeled beside Trileon and brought a larger shard to her head.

The second things lightened up, the tall, pale elf scooped Trileon up, carrying her off to the others to be healed. She made no move to protest; She was grateful for the help. Nova was close behind, standing by her side with a look of worry. Poor gal sustained a nasty bash to the head-- Thankfully, though, the cut across her stomach didn't look as bad. Her head swiveled as she looked up to greet Lohr's face, and then Desricks, "I'm.. I'm alright, I think. A bit blurry, yes.." She muttered, slumping onto the dirt with a harsh sigh.

She accepted the cold ice, taking it from Lohr's hand with a nod and a smile. The icy chill felt good against her thumping head, and she carefully scooted next to the pale elf to lean against his shoulder. Nova knelt beside her, reaching over to delicately brush away blood-matted hair from the beastwomans face.

"You did good, kiddo." She mused with a half-smile.

Trileon smiled back, her breathing labored slightly, "Thank you. I.. suppose things could have.. been better."

Suddenly, a look of urgency washed over her face, "Oh, where is Atteyo? I promised I would.." She made a move to stand, but collapsed, the wound across her stomach causing her to wince in pain. Nova caught her, and gently set her back down next to Lohr.

"Easy, easy.. I'm sure he'll be fine. You need to relax."

Trileon nodded, "Would you.. get Azaria for me, please..?"

Nova grimaced, but nodded, standing to her feet to locate the cold assassin-lady that shot her down earlier.. When she did, the mercenary scraped off some dried blood from her palms, wiping them against each other as she approached. After clearing her throat, she shared a warm smile with the other injured, and looked to Azaria, "Trileon asked for you." She said smoothly.

Nova said nothing else, and then set off to find her new noble friend..

Zazz Zazz Goonfire Goonfire SilverFlight SilverFlight

Lassard proved to be a formidable opponent, and it turned out he couldn't end his life, at least not now. Iolas looked at the situation unfolding, akin to the final sprinkles of rain after a powerful storm. They were all alive...he could not take credit for this fact; however, it was just as well. Whether Iolas knew it or not, they validated his trust in them, and the trust in himself to reach out and not place the weight of the world on his shoulders. He slumped down against the wall, his clothes tarnished. A few scars from the battle stinging proudly. Iolas was a warrior, and now that the fight seemed to be over their was little he could do. His eyes lingered on Azaria for a moment longer than the others watching her comfort Pyrrhus. He had seen this side of her, the side apart from the ruthless assassin. Iolas shook his head as the memory of their kiss hijacked his thought flow momentarily, he was actually pretty embarrassed, blushing uncontrollably as he could not understand why he was thinking such things at this time. Not to mention he was usually unflustered by well.....anything. His mind then recalled the shot that saved Pyrrhus...it was too good. He knew Crispin was serviceable with a bow and arrow, but he could not bring himself to believe he had hit that shot with that timing. Iolas then turned to Ora who was already working on getting them out of this mess. She had been brave during this ordeal, and fought even though the odds were not in her favor. He hung his head down and then looked up to an imaginative sky as he thought about the calming hues of the sunset hills...being here with everyone felt the same. Iolas sighed, releasing pent up stress and tension. He recalled the faces of all his new friends, and how they all played apart in overcoming this giant of an obstacle.

".....I do hope we're invited to the next one."

Flutterby Flutterby Zazz Zazz SilverFlight SilverFlight

The guard tried his very best to look important. "There now my lady, it looks like everything is well in hand."
Lassard strode over, his face back to its serene and indifferent mask.
"Thank you, we had a bit of difficulty with them. Apparently there is someone with quite a bit of ambition attending this party." He glanced briefly at Ora as he stopped beside her.
"They should know better than to attack a general of Evereach."
The guards looked a little uneasy, knowing something was off but not daring to question the high elf.
"Check the bodies." Lassard ordered. Several of the guards obeyed. It did not take them long to find what Lassard had intended.
"The assassins used steel forged by House Cathridge."
"This is an outrage." The captain of the guard stated angrily.
"The cloth weave is from that region as well. It appears as if one of Brynson's old enemies takes issue with something your house has done recently."
"We will need to bring this up with Lord Brynson as soon as possible."
"Please, gentlemen. Allow me."
And with that, Lassard left, not one of the guards stopped him, looking fearful and a little in awe. Lassard was in complete control. He could have committed a murder right in front of them and they would never be brave enough to accuse him.
Flutterby Flutterby mothspit mothspit LazyDaze LazyDaze Goonfire Goonfire Zazz Zazz

The Lady Lambent watched all this from a good distance, and when Lassard was clear from view she stepped out, walking over to Nova amidst the recovery of her friends.
"The papers are well away from here now, and it looks like Lassard is none the wiser." She gave a delighted laugh. "Oh what I wouldn't give to see the look on his face when he realize he's bee duped. My dear! If I return home with nothing else this evening, that at least is something to cherish."
When she looked back at Nova her expression was wistful. "So, it seems the lady that "broke you heart" may still have kept some of the pieces."
mothspit mothspit

The pain settled into something tolerable as Crow worked. Pyrrhus could see the focused set of his face as he worked.
"You have a very gentle touch." He mused quietly.
When Crow moved at last to his injured foreleg and dropped his pun Pyrrhus acted like he'd been struck. "Oof! I thought you were trying to cure me!"
When Azaria added her soothing words he chuckled, even now in good spirits, and shot her a sly grin. "Oh I know that."
He seemed to realize what he was doing to her hand and let go.
With his wounds freshly-treated Pyrrhus ventured to stand again, doing it carefully to avoid tearing any of Crow's fine work.
"I suppose this is going to limit my lute playing." He said with an exaggerated dejection.
Goonfire Goonfire Zazz Zazz

Once Atteyo was sure Pyrrhus would be all right he returned to where the other two centaur slaves were huddling. Miraculously there was only one with a scratch and it would be easily healed.
One of the guards caught sight of them. "Hey! What are you three doing skulking out here? Get back to the ballroom!"
The centaurs looked terrified, but they did not cower.
Lady Lambent had not seen Trileon's interaction with Atteyo, but her own spies had informed her of how the centaurs had been used to lure Nova's friends out into the gardens.
Before Nova could react, the lady took her arm gently. "You have done me a service, allow me to do you one. in turn."
Without warning she put her blade to her upper arm and drew a sharp, bloody line, that tore the incredibly intricate embroidery of her fine silk dress.
Like Ora, she summoned tears as easy as breathing and started for the guard.
"How dare you!" She cried. "How dare you show your face here after the danger has passed?!" The guard was completely taken aback and tried to stammer out a reply but Lambent pressed on mercilessly.
"I could have been killed! Look at what those brute did to me!" In a flash her tone changed from hysterical outburst to lethal rage. "I demand compensation for the horrible trauma I have been made to endure under the very nose of my host. Summon him at once!"
The guard cowered under her ruthless words. "I-I cannot my most esteemed lady, please understand. Lord Brynson will be very busy responding to the assassin threat, but I am sure we would not deny you any compensation you requested."
Lambent pretended to think long and hard about the statement. Finally her eyes settled on the centaurs huddled to each other in the center of the gardens.
"I might consider not ordering a trade emargo...if Brynson were to gift me those three slaves. I find their kind most exotic. They would make a good addition to my garden workers."
It only took a few more sharp words from the lady for the guard to send a runner at once for the signatures that would place the centaurs in her possession.
Once the guard was gone Lambent turned back to Nova, with a smile to the others as well.
Once the paperwork was acquired, Lambent handed it to Nova."Something tells me you don't want them as slaves." She said slyly.
"Quite right. Slavery should be abolished. On that, Gideon and I agree."
Flutterby Flutterby mothspit mothspit LazyDaze LazyDaze Goonfire Goonfire Zazz Zazz

Desrick had finished applying the ice, herbs and bandaging Trileon's wounds by the time Lambent's little performance bore fruit.
"You should stay awake for another twelve marks." Desrick advised, "And you shouldn't be alone for any of it."
He stood up and stretched, feeling pleased with what they had done.
mothspit mothspit
"Can we go now?" He asked, having had more than enough of the tight, uncomfortable clothing and the outrageous pomp of the entire charade.
Crispin appeared and thumped his brother on the back. "What? Not a fan of Sumennan parties?"
"I don't think anyone is." Desrick countered, "Except perhaps the ravens." He surveyed the corpses littering the detailed stonework of the garden paths as he said it.
"We've done what we came to do. Staying much longer might expose us. I don't want to bet Lassard didn't recognize at least a few of us. He knows we don't belong here."

One of the other guards stepped forward to catch her, and Ora clutched his forearm and looked properly miserable. She sniveled and trembled, delicately patting at her cheeks. The only moment that her act slipped was when Lassard glanced at her, but she covered it up with an extra sob and the guards seemed no the wiser. She took note of the name mentioned, or rather planted, by Lassard, but she could only watch as Lassard swept away, ever the hero. Ora felt a quiver in her chest, and then realized she had no plan for what was next.
Lady Lambent, luckily, had something in the works. After the guards were sufficiently terrified by her, and the paperwork had been settled, Ora sniffled once more and looked to the captain. She had already heard Crispin and Desrick discussing leaving, and she agreed wholeheartedly.
"Well.. I believe I have had enough of parties for quite some time" The words came out sounding absolutely miserable. "Thank you for your help captain, we will be requiring our carriages now." It was clearly a dismissal. Ora turned and looked at the group.

"I've sent the captain for our carriages. Let us meet them immediately, so they can begin to deal with.." Ora cast a glance at the bodies, and her face contorted into deep upset. Delicately, with great distress, she sighed, and then began quickly down the garden path that would lead to the carriages.
She rounded a corner, out of sight of those still on the makeshift battlefield. And then she stepped off the path, sat down on the soft grass, and wrapped her arms around herself. Her entire body began to tremble gently, but it felt like she had used up her tears while pretending.
SilverFlight SilverFlight mothspit mothspit LazyDaze LazyDaze Goonfire Goonfire Zazz Zazz

The Lady Lambent watched all this from a good distance, and when Lassard was clear from view she stepped out, walking over to Nova amidst the recovery of her friends.
"The papers are well away from here now, and it looks like Lassard is none the wiser." She gave a delighted laugh. "Oh what I wouldn't give to see the look on his face when he realize he's bee duped. My dear! If I return home with nothing else this evening, that at least is something to cherish."
When she looked back at Nova her expression was wistful. "So, it seems the lady that "broke you heart" may still have kept some of the pieces."
mothspit mothspit

Nova chuckled. Nothing was more savoring than an Everreach jerk getting what he deserved. Her smile broadened at the mention of Trileon, and she gave a meek shrug, "It's, uh.. not like that. We've only just met."

Once Atteyo was sure Pyrrhus would be all right he returned to where the other two centaur slaves were huddling. Miraculously there was only one with a scratch and it would be easily healed.
One of the guards caught sight of them. "Hey! What are you three doing skulking out here? Get back to the ballroom!"
The centaurs looked terrified, but they did not cower.
Lady Lambent had not seen Trileon's interaction with Atteyo, but her own spies had informed her of how the centaurs had been used to lure Nova's friends out into the gardens.
Before Nova could react, the lady took her arm gently. "You have done me a service, allow me to do you one. in turn."
Without warning she put her blade to her upper arm and drew a sharp, bloody line, that tore the incredibly intricate embroidery of her fine silk dress.
Like Ora, she summoned tears as easy as breathing and started for the guard.
"How dare you!" She cried. "How dare you show your face here after the danger has passed?!" The guard was completely taken aback and tried to stammer out a reply but Lambent pressed on mercilessly.
"I could have been killed! Look at what those brute did to me!" In a flash her tone changed from hysterical outburst to lethal rage. "I demand compensation for the horrible trauma I have been made to endure under the very nose of my host. Summon him at once!"
The guard cowered under her ruthless words. "I-I cannot my most esteemed lady, please understand. Lord Brynson will be very busy responding to the assassin threat, but I am sure we would not deny you any compensation you requested."
Lambent pretended to think long and hard about the statement. Finally her eyes settled on the centaurs huddled to each other in the center of the gardens.
"I might consider not ordering a trade emargo...if Brynson were to gift me those three slaves. I find their kind most exotic. They would make a good addition to my garden workers."
It only took a few more sharp words from the lady for the guard to send a runner at once for the signatures that would place the centaurs in her possession.
Once the guard was gone Lambent turned back to Nova, with a smile to the others as well.
Once the paperwork was acquired, Lambent handed it to Nova."Something tells me you don't want them as slaves." She said slyly.
"Quite right. Slavery should be abolished. On that, Gideon and I agree."

Once the impressive charade had concluded, Nova offered a small, slow clapping of her hands, accompanied by a large grin, "Well done." She took the papers happily, tucking them into the breast of her dress. Gideon would be thrilled to hear the centaurs slaves were freed.
Desrick had finished applying the ice, herbs and bandaging Trileon's wounds by the time Lambent's little performance bore fruit.
"You should stay awake for another twelve marks." Desrick advised, "And you shouldn't be alone for any of it."
He stood up and stretched, feeling pleased with what they had done.
Azaria met Nova's voice with a confused glance over her shoulder. "Trileon?" She looked over Pyrrhus and Crow, deciding the centaur was in good hands with his new... friend, and with a nod and a pet of Pyrrhus's cheek she stood. The assassin met Iolas's gaze with a surprisingly soft smile, before her feet took her behind the hedges to where Trileon waited. The halfling found the beastwoman sitting with Lohrithe - who was somehow elegant even without a shirt in the middle of a Sumennan party. The dark elf held Trileon about the torso, holding her upright and steady. Azaria tugged up the ends of her black skirt and knelt across from the beastwoman. "Nova said you asked for me." Her voice was gentle, her worry for her friend subduing her usual harshness.

Trileon, though fatigued and bloody, had gathered up a small batch of flower petals from the hedge behind her, muddling them together with her fingers. She gently rubbed them into the wound across her stomach, hissing slightly at their contact. Their floral oils helped soothe the pain until someone was able to heal her magically, and when she looked up, she was greeted by Azarias presence. She smiled brightly-- Admittedly, she didn't usually appreciate Azarias methods, but it looked like for moment things could have worked out, if not for, well.. everything in general. She nodded, "I wanted to.. to thank you." Trileon reached out with one hand, taking Azarias and gripping it slightly, "We had a good plan. I think maybe, I.. I was wrong about you."

Azaria held her gaze, her half mask making her eyes twinkle in the starlight. She recalled the bloodied knife she had given to Pyrrhus. "Wrong about me, how?"

Trileon inhaled deeply, propping herself up against Lohr's shoulder. The ice against her head wound had slowly started to melt, bloodied water dripping down her temple, "I took you for, ehm..." She made a sheepish, nervous expression, hoping her next words wouldn't land her dead with the enemies that littered the garden, ".. A selfish brute. Perhaps I.. misjudged."

There was the slightest of humour portrayed by the assassin's face. "In my line of work, that can be taken as a compliment." She watched Desrick tend to Trileon's head wound. They were all coming together as a team.
At Desrick's instructions, she nodded, grateful for his help with her injuries. She looked between Azaria and Lohrithe, "Perhaps one of you could..?" She raised her head to look her Nova-- There eyes locked for half a second, before Nova looked back to Lady Lambent. Trileon gestured for someone to help her up, eager to get far away from this godforsaken castle..

Nova took the noble woman's hands and kissed the back of them, jerking her head in the direction of Ora's voice. "Looks like I gotta head out. It's been swell." She joked with a smirk, pulling her closer to plant another kiss on her lips. When things were over, Nova would consider paying the Lady a visit.. Maybe.

Zazz Zazz SilverFlight SilverFlight

Lohrithe nodded at Desrick's advice and stood carefully, lifting Trileon like a bride with ease. "As much as I hate to leave the comfort of this darkness, I think leaving is a much better idea." The dark elf glanced back towards the castle. "I wonder if there are more such olath euolen," he wondered aloud. He stayed close to Desrick, needing him to guide him through the blindness he knew would be assaulted with outside of the castle grounds.

SilverFlight SilverFlight mothspit mothspit

Azaria left the beastwoman in Lohrithe's capable hands. She had one more person to look after, now that Lady Lambent had seen to the centaurs. She could only imagine how Nova had convinced her to join their cause.

The assassin approached her dance partner, finally. Her dress, despite their whole ordeal, still looked elegant as it had when they had arrived, and her painted red lips stood out on her pale, half-hidden face. Azaria offered her hand for Iolas to help him to his feet. "I don't suppose I might have one dance," she said, a tease in her tone. "It's been a dreadful party, and my partner has been elusive."

LazyDaze LazyDaze

Crow tied off the stitches on the equine leg. The jest caught him off-guard, making him think back to what he said. “Ohhh.” He muffled a giggle; even in trying times like these, Pyrrhus had a fantastic sense of humor.

“Done and done,” Crow confirmed, ensuring both sets of stitches were adequate. He peeked out to eavesdrop; it seemed the snake had slithered away from the garden, and the others were preparing to escape. “That... seems suspicious. I’m not sure how well you heard that, but Lassard blamed House Cathridge and didn’t move to have the others arrested. I fear he wants the pleasure of hunting us himself. That cunning bastard...” After speculating on the situation on the other side of the hedges, he finally reported, “We’re finally leaving, and not a moment too soon. We will have to thank Lady Lambent; she helped free our new friends.”

Iolas was resting with his eyes closed. Conscious enough to perceive the world around him, but relaxed enough to drift away into his thoughts so that it seemed like a dream. The entire ordeal has been exhausting, even for Iolas, both physically and mentally and he was content to just stay in that one spot for days on end. Iolas gripped the blade that was resting on his body when he felt someone draw near. He opened his eyes slowly, expecting it to be a guard pretending to be more important than he was, that probably would have been the worst part of the day, but to his surprise it was Azaria. It was not until seeing her that he realized how much he was looking forward to being her date to this ball, even if that was not their purpose. His grogginess quickly fled from him as he tried to take it all in. Despite the recent events, she looked as if she had just arrived], unaware of plots, missions, and duty. It was as if she was stepping off the carriage again. In contrast, Iolas, who now had blood, not of his own, wine stains, and rips on his formally pure white suit, looked as an impure crescent as opposed to the full moon shining all over the lands of Cyndara. Iolas smiled at the sound of her voice and laid down his weapons as he took her hand and allowed himself to be helped to his feet. He gave her a nod and a smile. After all that had happened Iolas felt as if this should have been the only reason to come to such an event.

He held on to her hand and pulled her close with an arm wrapping around her waist. He looked down at her with a mischievous grin, "Someone with the ability to elude the night sky? Do I know this partner of yours; he sounds like quite the troublemaker," Iolas stated playfully in return as he slowly began to ease into rhythm, leading her step by step without taking his eyes off of Azaria for even an instant, afraid that if he even blinked, this moment would pass him by.

Zazz Zazz

Crispin had been watching Ora carefully after the guards left. He was concerned about how the entire thing had affected her. Of all he had learned of Evereach, it seemed accepted by all of Sumenna that going against them was suicidal, so he could only imagine how frightening it had truly been.
He followed her when she left, not trying to disguise his footsteps. When she sat down he gave her a moment before coming up beside her and sitting with his shoulder pressed comfortingly against hers. He didn't speak for a long while, just letting them both be, without the weight of words.
"You know," he began at length, "I hear Gideon has quite the impressive forge, from how his fellows gossip anyway. When we get back there, I'd like to watch you work."
He let the silence settle again, looking over their shoulders to a small bed of delicate red blooms. He picked one gently and brought it before her.
"For all you have done...for all you are doing. Just know that we really appreciate it. I...really appreciate it. You're a remarkable person Oralia Hearth."
Flutterby Flutterby

The Lady Lambent took her bow and, with an elegant smile allowed herself to be kissed by the intriguing rogue once more.
"Oh if only you know the utter embarrassment we will rain down upon those arrogant elves." She couldn't contain a laugh. "I can't wait to get started. Well, if you ever feel like visiting. I'll leave the casement unlocked." She turned to go but paused once and looked back. "By the way, my name, It's Dahlia."
mothspit mothspit

Desrick stayed by Lohrithe, hoping the effects of the dark crystal extended to the carriage circle at the front of the castle.
"There are several crystals of light in Cyndara, perhaps, there are the same number of dark crystals here. In any case, Evereach having one of each now is probably a bad thing. We should speak to Gideon about what to do next."
Zazz Zazz

The sound of Crow's laughter was better cure than anything for Pyrrhus and at that point he gazed down at the young inquisitor with such affection it was impossible not to notice. When Crow's attention turned to the situation at hand so to did Pyrrhus'. The centaur 'hmm'ed in agreement. "That lizard is always plotting something it seems. Of course he'd be sneaky enough to have a back door to his little moonlight escapade with these assassins."
Pyrrus had listened to the Lady Lambent's stunning performance as well as Ora's and as an actor he felt a solid need to congratulate them both.
"After this whole stopping the war business is finished I think we'd make a stunning theater troupe. But yes, I don't think I'll ever be able to repay the efforts made to save my people here tonight. I should also be thanking Trileon, she was the one who started this whole thing."
He placed a reassuring hand on Crow's shoulder before limping his way to where Lohrithe was holding the injured beastwoman.
"What you did for the centaurs, Trileon, words cannot express how grateful I am to you. As soon as I have a bit more strength I'll fix you up quick as you like."
Goonfire Goonfire Zazz Zazz mothspit mothspit

*~*~*

The carriages came in short order, and as soon as everyone was ready, they departed. Between all the healers present, Atteyo and the others were seen to enough that they could walk the little way from Brynson Castle to Gideon's mansion and as soon as the gates closed behind them Desrick felt an enormous weight lift from his shoulders. They had done it, and for now, they were safe.
The sun shone brightly again, pouring warmth over every inch of the beautiful gardens of the mansion.
Gideon came out to meet them and the orc related what had happened at the ball.
"That story has all the makings of an epic ballad." Gideon remarked when the tale was done.
"That's exactly what I said on the way here!" Pyrrhus chimed in happily, he too was feeling much better now that they were back.
"Well done all of you. I still can't believe we pulled one over on Evereach's most cunning general." He sounded glad, but a little worried also. Evereach's retribution was quick and without mercy...when they found out about the deception, someone, somewhere, would pay, and pay dearly.
"You all must be very tired, I'll have food and drink sent to your rooms. We can speak about what you found in due course. Pyrrhus, I made some adjustments to the solarium."
The solarium was a glass attachment to the house, where Gideon kept his more exotic plants. Now, the glass had been covered by thick panels, which blocked the light almost completely. The solarium was now dark and cool and perfect for the Cyndaran who could not fit in the more conventional accommodations.
"Oh! Its perfect!" Pyrrhus exclaimed.
"There are candles lit inside. I know it's nothing like the wonders of light you've described in your forests, but I hope it will suffice."
"It's perfect Gideon." Pyrrhus touched his fingertips to his chest. "Thank you."
The other centaurs, still relishing their new freedom from the slave cuffs, decided to start exploring the grounds.

Desrick watched them go while he stayed closely by Lohrithe's side, knowing they'd be safe wherever they went within the grounds.
"And how did you enjoy the ball?" He asked the drow. It was something neither of them had ever experienced, though Desrick couldn't deny the charm of the idea, even if most of the guests were snakes. Zazz Zazz

Pyrrhus limped over to Crow on his way to take rest in the now-covered solarium.
"When you have a moment Crow, I'd like to speak with you...You know where I'll be."
Goonfire Goonfire

Iolas was resting with his eyes closed. Conscious enough to perceive the world around him, but relaxed enough to drift away into his thoughts so that it seemed like a dream. The entire ordeal has been exhausting, even for Iolas, both physically and mentally and he was content to just stay in that one spot for days on end. Iolas gripped the blade that was resting on his body when he felt someone draw near. He opened his eyes slowly, expecting it to be a guard pretending to be more important than he was, that probably would have been the worst part of the day, but to his surprise it was Azaria. It was not until seeing her that he realized how much he was looking forward to being her date to this ball, even if that was not their purpose. His grogginess quickly fled from him as he tried to take it all in. Despite the recent events, she looked as if she had just arrived], unaware of plots, missions, and duty. It was as if she was stepping off the carriage again. In contrast, Iolas, who now had blood, not of his own, wine stains, and rips on his formally pure white suit, looked as an impure crescent as opposed to the full moon shining all over the lands of Cyndara. Iolas smiled at the sound of her voice and laid down his weapons as he took her hand and allowed himself to be helped to his feet. He gave her a nod and a smile. After all that had happened Iolas felt as if this should have been the only reason to come to such an event.

He held on to her hand and pulled her close with an arm wrapping around her waist. He looked down at her with a mischievous grin, "Someone with the ability to elude the night sky? Do I know this partner of yours; he sounds like quite the troublemaker," Iolas stated playfully in return as he slowly began to ease into rhythm, leading her step by step without taking his eyes off of Azaria for even an instant, afraid that if he even blinked, this moment would pass him by.

Zazz Zazz

Azaria bit her lip as she was pulled up against him. She didn't mind that he was a bit battleworn, and his suit was less than white. Nay, she cared for the gaze that held hers as they teased one another. "Perhaps," she purred, following his rhythm despite the lack of music in the garden. "It seems he's gained quite the reputation. A traitor, no less." She matched him step for step, as she had at Gideon's estate a week ago, never taking her eyes from his. "He's quite remarkable, really."

She moved closer still, and rested her cheek upon his chest, head beneath his chin. Her hand slipped from his to lay just over his heart, her other finding his back. She felt calm, here, in this moment with him. Peaceful. Maybe even... happy.

------

Azaria and Iolas were the last of the carriages to arrive at Gideon's. The assassin excused herself, bidding a fair "night" to all before retiring to her bedroom.

Desrick watched them go while he stayed closely by Lohrithe's side, knowing they'd be safe wherever they went within the grounds.
"And how did you enjoy the ball?" He asked the drow. It was something neither of them had ever experienced, though Desrick couldn't deny the charm of the idea, even if most of the guests were snakes. @Zazz

Lohrithe couldn't help but grin at the memory of the assassin they had tricked. Though he had to squint in the sunlight, his dark eyes twinkled with excitement as he looked at Desrick. "It was something, wasn't it? All the outfits, and the... the grandeur... Perhaps we could have something like that once we are home. Under better circumstances, of course, and... less killing..." The drow reached for Desrick's hand. "Do you think maybe we could go inside? My eyes are quickly dying," he lamented cheerfully. He was happy they all made it out alive.

Ora took a deep, shaking breath and leaned against Crispin. His shoulder was solid and warm, and she tried to time her breathing to his. Eventually, the trembling stopped, and was replaced with a deep, cold numbness.
The corner of her mouth twitched, an attempt to smile, when she thought of Gideon's forge.
"Gideon put in a weapons order. I'll show you my secret shells." She said, barely above a whisper. Her voice sounded like she had just finished a coughing fit, hoarse and hesitant. Ora closed her eyes, and tried to find happiness somewhere in the numbness. Because she wanted to be happy to have Crispin here. But instead, she only found weariness.
Her eyes opened to a flower, a fancy red thing that she probably had learned the name of as a child. Ora lifted her head from his shoulder to take it and look at it. His praise did not sit well with her at that moment, but she felt guilty even considering denying it.
"Thank you. I just hope our luck holds a little longer. There are.. bigger storms on the horizon." She gave the bloom a sniff- it smelled of baking spices and smoke. The smell evoked some memory she couldn't quite grasp, and seemed to wake her from her state.
"Let's go. I don't want to be here anymore." When she stood, her knees felt weak and wobbly. Ora reached out and looped her arm under Crispin's. She told herself it was just for support for the walk to the carriage, but she didn't let go the entire way back to Gideon's estate.
*~*~*
When Ora stepped down from the carriage, and watched the gate close behind the centaurs, she thought she should feel relief. She did, somewhere, but it was overwhelmed with tiredness. The deepest tiredness she had ever felt, creeping down into her bones. Not sleepiness- she wasn't sure she would ever sleep again- but every bit of energy had been sapped from her.
Finally, Gideon made it clear they were dismissed.
"I need out of this costume." Ora muttered, to no one in particular. She caught sight of the maid that had claimed her near the doors, and headed that way with only a small, reassuring nod to Crispin.
*~*~*
After she was returned to her darker looks, and had been bathed and braided her hair, Ora tried to be at peace. She laid down, but couldn't sleep. She ordered food from the kitchen, but lost her appetite when she saw it. After almost a mark of trying to force herself into rest, she gave up. Ora left the chambers with a quick word to the maids about where she would be if needed, and went to the forge with writing supplies in one hand and her second bag of shells in the other.
SilverFlight SilverFlight mothspit mothspit LazyDaze LazyDaze Goonfire Goonfire Zazz Zazz

Last edited:
Feyre Yinnelis
56a52f617deb5dfa52ab34cf_589a005a974071be0e615ac6_320.jpg
Feyre bit her tongue impatiently at the regretful expressions of the three wood elves that stood across from her in the narrow alleyway, cramped between two nice houses of the Merchants Quarter, her foot tapping anxiously against the stone under her. Disappointment began to seep its way into her heart, dreading the information that was about to come from their mouths. The wood elf in the middle opened her mouth before she was bluntly cut off by Feyre, "You didn't find him, again," she lamented, feigning a smirk to hide her disappointment, "What do I pay you lot for again?" Feyre joked, folding her arms across her chest before averting her bright blue orbs to the ground, finding some small comfort in the shade she basked in, a shadow cast over the alleyway from the house she currently leaned back on.

The triplets smiled lightly in unison, the middle elf speaking up, "You don't pay us," she replied humorously, before her tone took on a more solemn note, "No, we didn't find him, but we did find out some information on his whereabouts," Feyre's head shot up at his, straitening as she was pulled to attention. This was a first. The wood elf's expression turned even more solemn however, "After the separation, Reanis...was sold into the slave market, I'm sorry Feyre."

Feyre's jaw tightened, glancing away briefly as she processed the bitter news. She had suspected the possibility Reanis may have been sold into the slave trade right off the bat, but had chosen to try and block out the possibility from her thoughts. "By the moon," she muttered sourly, glancing back at the triplets, "Do you know who did it?"

"The details are still blurred," the elf on the right spoke up, "But likely by one of the soldiers that brought you to Sumenna. We're not sure who he was sold to yet," he said, his tone as somber as his sisters. Like Feyre, the triplets had also been former slaves, and understood the gravity of their words well. Feyre simply nodded, her features darkening for a moment before her easy façade slipped back into place. She'd deal with the news later. In private.

Feyre gave a dip of her head to the three, smirking lightly, "I owe you one," she said dryly as she straightened up from the cold wall, seemingly unaffected by the news as she bent down and grabbed her sack of used clothes and equipment, slinging it over her shoulder, "I'll catch you later, I've got to relay my natural success to Gideon." she said cockily as she turned away, not failing to notice the shared rolled eyes the siblings shared to one another as she sauntered away, heading towards the main streets of the Merchant Quarters before pausing in her steps and glancing back at the three, grinning, "Oh and Adonia?" Feyre questioned, drawing the middle wood elf's attention once more, "Try not to die, will you?"

Adonia snorted, giving a laugh, "Your just saying that for the free drinks!" she called after Feyre, whom gave a guilty snicker in return as she resumed in her steps before rounding the corner and making her way for Gideon's mansion, savoring the sight of the mansion as she drew near. She'd been gone a little longer than a month, and the sight of home was a warming sight. Gideon had kept her quite busy the past weeks, much to her delight. There were fewer things she enjoyed than dealing with slave traders and meddling in noble affairs. Working for Gideon was one of her greatest prides. Without him, she didn't know where'd she be now. She owed everything to him, and was eager to repay all he had done for her, pride and loyalty compelling her to do so.

Feyre's expression dropped into immediate confusion however, upon arriving to the gated gates of Gideon's mansion, her giddy steps slowing. Her brows arched in surprise as the gates shut behind her, looking around and wondering exactly what had happened to the place in the short month of her disappearance. Centaurs roomed the grounds, looking tired but relived, expressions she'd seen commonly on slaves she'd helped free. Once, she had worn the same expression. The centaurs weren't too much of a surprise, Gideon was always taking in slaves and such. But the sight of others had. Others, that from the look of it, were here on other business, judging by the wear and weapons. Decidedly however, not wanting to greet anyone in the travel worn, smelly state she was in, Feyre crept around to the side of the mansion, choosing to climb her way up to her bedroom window, pushing open the glass windows and pushing up the small wooden hatch she'd set in front of her windows, to block the sunlight, before slipping silently into her bedroom, savoring the darkness and coolness of it as she flopped face-first into her bed, exhausted from her journey.

Reluctantly, Feyre tore herself away from her bed, despite the singing note it seemed to carry towards her, begging her to sleep. Feyre prepared herself a bath before undressing and slipping into the warm water, savoring the feel of cleanliness she hadn't felt in weeks, her thoughts clouded with grim memories and worries for Reanis, scrubbing the dirt and caked blood from her dark skin harshly as a familiar anger seeped it’s way to the surface, stopping only when she realized she’d nearly scrubbed herself raw. Feyre sighed wearily, a long, forlorn breath that sang of a thousand sorrows and troubles, closing her eyes and sinking further into the water and relaxing for a small while until the water became cold and she got out, walking over and retrieving a brush from her bedside table, running the brush through her long, light blue hair, flecked with white specks that resembled the stars themselves. Afterwards she found herself adoring herself into a simple, long, light and flowing black dress that she made sure covered the scars on her back, never once removing the golden necklace adorning her neck before she slipped downstairs.

Feyre sought out and crept up behind Gideon in an attempt to surprise him of her arrival, grinning wryly, "I hope you planned on inviting me to this little party," she joked dryly from behind him, her voice carrying amusement as she finally made her presence known.

Silver Silver [/USER]​

Last edited:
Lohrithe nodded at Desrick's advice and stood carefully, lifting Trileon like a bride with ease. "As much as I hate to leave the comfort of this darkness, I think leaving is a much better idea." The dark elf glanced back towards the castle. "I wonder if there are more such olath euolen," he wondered aloud. He stayed close to Desrick, needing him to guide him through the blindness he knew would be assaulted with outside of the castle grounds.

Trileon wrapped one arm around Lohr's neck carefully, her head resting on his shoulder. "Thank you," She whispered, her eyes fluttering shut. This whole ordeal fatigued her greatly, and the quicker they got out of here, the better.

The Lady Lambent took her bow and, with an elegant smile allowed herself to be kissed by the intriguing rogue once more.
"Oh if only you know the utter embarrassment we will rain down upon those arrogant elves." She couldn't contain a laugh. "I can't wait to get started. Well, if you ever feel like visiting. I'll leave the casement unlocked." She turned to go but paused once and looked back. "By the way, my name, It's Dahlia."

Nova chuckled. A forbidden romance indeed-- Sneaking in through a casement was just as fitting for the scruff mercenary. She wondered if the Lady-- If Dahlia-- Thought Nova's appearance to be a glamour, cast for the ball. Did the noble think she was secretly some kind of light elf, merely taking on the form of a Cyndaran for the party? And if so, would it matter? Not wanting to press her luck, she nodded, taking a couple steps toward the rest of the group before turning back in a similar way as she had done, her own name caught in her throat, if only for a moment..

"Nu'ovis." She said, leaving it at that.

The sound of Crow's laughter was better cure than anything for Pyrrhus and at that point he gazed down at the young inquisitor with such affection it was impossible not to notice. When Crow's attention turned to the situation at hand so to did Pyrrhus'. The centaur 'hmm'ed in agreement. "That lizard is always plotting something it seems. Of course he'd be sneaky enough to have a back door to his little moonlight escapade with these assassins."
Pyrrus had listened to the Lady Lambent's stunning performance as well as Ora's and as an actor he felt a solid need to congratulate them both.
"After this whole stopping the war business is finished I think we'd make a stunning theater troupe. But yes, I don't think I'll ever be able to repay the efforts made to save my people here tonight. I should also be thanking Trileon, she was the one who started this whole thing."
He placed a reassuring hand on Crow's shoulder before limping his way to where Lohrithe was holding the injured beastwoman.
"What you did for the centaurs, Trileon, words cannot express how grateful I am to you. As soon as I have a bit more strength I'll fix you up quick as you like."

The beastwomans dark eyes fluttered open at the sound of her name-- She looked up from Lohr's shoulder to see Pyrrhus' happy face congratulating her, and for a brief moment, it looked as if she might cry; A wave of emotion overtaking her expression, she reached out to place a weak palm on the centaurs shoulder, her lip quivering. She didn't speak, but the gratitude was written all across her face, nearly overwhelming her. Similarly, somewhere nearby, Nova wore a firm facade of thanks, secretly wishing (if only a little) she would have gotten a chance to claim Lassard's scalp for herself. "Hey Dad, I know I abandoned the squadron for my own selfish reasons, but check out the head of this noble guy I brought back! Are you proud of me yet?"

Nova physical shook her head as if to shake the thought from her ears, and trudged alongside the others to the carriages..

Nova and Trileon stepped from the carriage together, the beastwomans arm slung around Nova's shoulder. When Gideon drew near, Nova used her free hand to produce the documentation of ownership of the centaurs; She handed them to the man of the house with a small gesture, "Courtesy of House Lambent."

Trileon silently requested to be taking to the solarium, exhaling a large sigh of relief at the sight of the cool darkness. Her wounds would heal in due time, and with the help of magic, but for now the only thing she wanted to do was sleep. Carefully, she curled up on the floor near a collection of flowers; She muttered some strange incantation to herself, and soon had a large pair of leathery dragon wings with which she enveloped herself in, almost like a cocoon. Though, she was still very much awake, wide eyes flicking about the makeshift forest around them. It wasn't perfect but, well, it would do.

Nova, on the other hand, lay awake in her bed, anxiously fiddling with her morningstar beneath the bed's covers. She requested ale be sent to her room, along with some hard cheese and bread, though after one drink too many found the food.. less than appetizing. A semi-drunken Nova then sat at the window of her room, staring wistfully out into the sunny landscape. In one hand, the terrifyingly large morningstar is slung up and down, simulating a strike to someone's head. She wondered what her father would be up to by now. How they were coping without her presence. Did they even notice? Bah, who cares.. She stayed in this state for what felt like several marks, having passed out while propped against the windowsill..

Last edited:
"When you are all rested, I will call a meeting in my study. We should discuss in detail what happened at the ball, and what to do next." Gideon told them before they filtered off in their own directions. When Nova came to him and handed him the papers for the centaur's slavery he took them and, with a smile, tore them up and let the pieces scatter in the wind.
Atteyo and the others watched this with bewildered fascination.
Goonfire Goonfire Zazz Zazz mothspit mothspit Flutterby Flutterby LazyDaze LazyDaze Ms. Sparrow Ms. Sparrow

Desrick wasted no time in getting Lohrithe inside the mansion and out of the harsh sunlight. A rest was much needed after the ball.
While the others settled in, Desrick took Lohr to his room, before retiring himself to change back into clothes that actually felt like they fit him. He was so relieved to be back in his worn breeches and tunic, he didn't even mind that it made him look like a pauper amid all of the opulence of Gideon's estate. After a good nap he felt like a completely new orc.
Zazz Zazz

Gideon had retired to his study anyway, and hadn't seen or heard Feyre approach. He started at her voice and clutched his heart, snapping shut the book he had been reading.
"One day girl, you're going to stop my heart." He tried his best to sound admonishing, but the affection in his voice betrayed him.
"Yes, now that you're back I think you should meet our new friends. They are from...a little further than most of our guests." He knew she would grasp his meaning, if the orc didn't tip her off immediately. Their guests were from Cyndara.
"I asked Nova and Crow to go with them to the Brynson ball. You remember Crow don't you? The Inquisitor's protege?" Bishop Stenmann had not frequented Gideon's mansion as a guest, but they communicated often.
"Let's give our guests a bit of time to recover, then I will call them here."
Ms. Sparrow Ms. Sparrow

It was a good few hours before Gideon ventured to send servants to fetch the members of their party. He was eager to hear what they had to say. So eager he was actually pacing his study in waiting.
Goonfire Goonfire Zazz Zazz mothspit mothspit Flutterby Flutterby LazyDaze LazyDaze Ms. Sparrow Ms. Sparrow

Pyrrhus lead the way back into the blinding sunlight. After the darkness of the covered solarium he could barely see anything. Marillene had been sent to fetch Pyrrhus from the solarium, and was positively beaming when she came out with the centaur and Crow too.
"You know? I am not surprised no one has ever noticed the phosphorescence before now. Not with this amount of light covering absolutely everything."
He still had a tight hold of Crow's hand but when his eyes finally stopped watering and began to adjust to the new light level he turned to the young inquisitor and brushed his knuckled with a light kiss.
"I will catch you up Eishar, I just want to ask Ora a question first. Meet you in Gideon's study?"
Goonfire Goonfire

The forge was an open building just around the corner from the Solarium. There was someone standing just beside it, out of view, but nearby. It was Crispin. Pyrrhus approached with a quizzical expression.
"Are you looking for Ora too?"
Crispin suddenly looked like a startled rabbit.
"Yes! No. She's in there but..."
Pyrrhus raised an eyebrow, "But?"
Crispin bit his thumbnail. "She didn't eat, or sleep...something's bothering her."
Pyrrhus gave a mock-offended gasp. "Crispin Larkwing, have you been following her?"
"What? N-no! It's not...I was just worried!"
Pyrrhus laughed, but the sound was light and teasing, with no hint of judgement.
"Hey, people like you don't they? Could you try and find out what's wrong?"
Pyrrhus looked genuinely surprised. "Me?"
"Please! I don't know what to do, but I can't just sit and watch her do this to herself. You could say Gideon asked you to fetch her. He's been calling all of us back to his study."
The centaur relented, and raised a hand in acquiescence. "All right. I'll speak to her Crispin, go and find your brother."

Crispin ran to obey as Pyrrhus turned for the forge. He wrapped his knuckles several times on one of the supporting beams to get the dwarf's attention.
"Ora? Are you here? Gideon's called us, but I admit I've come here on something of a personal matter..."
Flutterby Flutterby

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back