• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Setting Summer Dawn

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Desrick looked grateful for similar-minded company. Ora had been with them since Delan and he felt he knew her better than most. At the mention of Lohr Desrick scanned the faces looking for him.
"I doubt Lohr knows Sumennan dances." He said finally, he didn't even know if the drow liked dancing and it made him feel guilty. Orcs generally didn't dance at all. It wasn't part of their culture.
At Ora's barb for Iolas Desrick snorted and then covered his mouth with the back of his hand, trying to make the laugh sound more like a cough. He seemed to relax visibly after that.
"You know the dance then?" He asked when she revealed that it was a cruel choice for beginners. "Would you care to teach me?"
He held out a hand to her. "You're right, our centaur isn't going to let me go, and if I'm to look like an ass, I'd rather be beside a friend for it."
Flutterby Flutterby

Lohr stood in the doorway, just out of the sun; he could see and hear them all, mostly. The drow was shy;he wanted very much to try this dancing thing with Desrick, but... he also did not want to make a fool of himself. His people were graceful, yes, but he had never learned to dance. The closest thing to dance he knew was fighting, and he doubted that would work at a Sumennan ball. So, he watched with a mix of jealousy and amusement when Desrick partnered up with Ora. In the pocket of his trousers -still shirtless - he fingered the little wooden carving he had finally completed for the dwarf. He hoped very much that she would like it.

_______

Iolas was, indeed, a talented dancer. The two elves moved fluidly together. When the light elf spun Azaria so that her back was to him, she felt a rush of heat rise, and momentarily forgot that she was counting the ways in which to end his life. She forgot her training, just for a moment, and lived. As he whispered in her ear, she grinned slyly, one sharp canine showing itself. "27 times, to be precise." It would have been 28, she noted to herself, had she not lost her head.

The dance between that.. other elf guy.. and Azaria made the mercenaries eyes roll practically to the back of her head. They couldn't just dance like normal people, could they? She sighed and began shedding her golden armor as well as her weapons, revealing a slim-flitted tunic underneath, so as to not poke out Trileon's poor eyes upon catching her. When her dance partner addressed her, Nova nodded in response. Religion was totally not her thing, but the guy seemed competent enough. "Yours as well, my friend."

Trileon beamed once the music began, and with her and Crow in position, she began moving in a typical ballroom style; Their hands clasped together, one hand on his shoulder and his on her waist, she occasionally looked down to both of their feet to make sure she didn't step on the poor guy. She moved smoothly, and when it came to the slightly more complex movements of the dance-- A short twirl, followed by a low dip to the ground-- She executed them perfectly, her long hair caressing her form with every movement like a dark waterfall. Nova was impressed, watching from a short distance, unable to tear her eyes away.

When she came back up, Trileon had an excited, albeit nervous, look in her eye,
"This is the part where you toss me," She whispered to Crow, "..I think."

Goonfire Goonfire

Ora's face cracked at the sound of Desrick's choked laughter, and she had the dignity to look a little sorry for saying it out loud. The next moment of quiet was much more comfortable than the last, but Desrick didn't let it sit long.
The tiny woman was very, very quiet for a few moments, and then relented with a nod. "I suppose I should be helping, given my education," She said softly, reaching up to take his hand. The traditional hand-about-waist would not be the most comfortable for them- her head barely reached his shoulder, so holding her hand that high for the duration of the lesson didn't seem appealing. Instead, she took his hand and stood square to him, and used her other hand to point and gesture as she spoke.

"Dances are just sequences of movements.. like a good spar with a familiar partner," She said, her voice only shaking a little, "This one begins with your right foot..." Slowly, she walked him through the base step of what Iolas and Azaria were doing, placing her feet clearly and slowly. In their rendition, it would be impossible for someone not well versed in dance to pick it out. Pyrrhus, clearly, knew what he was doing.
"And then, you repeat it, but something changes each time- that's what the spins and lifts are. Iolas's are more.. traditional than what I learned, but for this dance, there are always multiples of seven. So you do a plain step, then sets of modifications, and then.. well, the ending is different, but.."
Ora paused, took a deep breath, and then said, "We should just focus on the plain step, first. Here," She gestured him a little closer, setting her shoulders and hands properly, "Practice makes perfect." Ora waited until the proper moment in Pyrrhus's tune, and then began.
SilverFlight SilverFlight

“Ohhh?” Iolas responded with budding curiosity. He found it interesting that he was killed nearly 10 times more than he originally thought; however, he did not doubt such a statement that came from her lips. Moreover, there was the strange thump in his chest that briefly arose after seeing Azaria smile. He had nearly forgot that his heart was still beating after all this time and it wasn’t easy to make him recall such a fact; nevertheless, he dismissed it as quick as it came. “Shhh, I think you are making Death jealous,” Iolas retorted as he continued the dance. At this time he was too focused on not dying to observe everything that was happening around him, but he could not shake the feeling that he was being watched....oh yeah...demonstration... Every now and then he would see an unpleasant visage, or make out a few unfavorable words or phrases, but it didn’t phase him. In fact it was almost as beautiful and in tune as Pyrrhus' lute. He nearly chuckled when he heard Ora make a remark about the dance that was chosen; however, he would just play innocent and blame it on Crow later. He did manage to flash Pyrrhus a smile in appreciation to the music that seemed to enhance the trance he was already falling under.

“Azaria, I will make you a wager then,” Iolas stated suddenly, cutting through his own thoughts. “Let us reset. From this point forward you will not be able to kill me more than 7 times. If you win you can ask of me whatever you wish; however, when I am the victor....well that is a surprise.” Iolas said the latter part with another trademark smile not letting his attention waver in the slightest. He knew it was a daunting task that was heavily weighed in Azaria's favor, but perhaps it was Pyrrhus’ lute that made him take an uncharacteristic risk for no real reason other than sport. Plus, he loved challenges. Iolas began to adapt and evolve after his wager, or at least to the best of his ability. It was likely no one besides Azaria would notice the nuanced changes he made to close previous openings without taking away from the beauty of the dance; after all, simply becoming a rigid bastion in the middle of a dance would not really count as a victory against Azaria. Actually it was the opposite, he became more fluid, more creative, more free. It was always possible that she could simply lie; however, Iolas trusted her pride in this matter more than anything and who knows, the kill count might have already exceeded the threshold.

Finally, when it came to the matter of the toss Iolas thought it would be fun to add a little flare. So far, they seemed to play off of each other well enough during the previous counts and they both were fairly skilled so why not? Iolas began his move during a turn so as to gain momentum. During this turn he placed both hands on her waist and then hoisted her into the air so that she would also be spinning while airborne.

(Well…if I do not catch her….I could add a count on my side…but then again she might kill me for real….I suppose I will have to catch her)

Iolas performed a two quick spins with his arms outstretched as if to tell the world to stop on a dime and watch the feat to performed. At nearly the same time he came out of his second spin Iolas caught her with both of his arms; however, he went into a slight dipping motion to minimize the impact and add to the apparent grace although he was sure such a move would not bother Azaria in the slightest. At the end of this dramatic toss Iolas was on a knee as he looked down on the proud assassin who he held gently in his arms, his face only a few inches from hers. Realizing that it was a success Iolas actually flashed a rare genuine smile. Unlike the ones used to deflect and deceive, this one was from the heart, his joy clearly visible from the inside out. You could say that after years of isolation, murder, guilt, and burden, a dance would be the cure...even if it was temporary. It turned out Pyrrhus really was a healer, and I guess in that sense Azaria was too.

“So…how many times did I die?”

SilverFlight SilverFlight Goonfire Goonfire Zazz Zazz Flutterby Flutterby mothspit mothspit

What an absurd series of motions. Crow found his eyes torn between two subjects: Trileon and the dancing pair of elves. He couldn’t help admitting to himself, this was a demanding undertaking. With his attention divided, he found his two (metaphorical) left feet causing a few close calls, only avoided by Trileon’s graceful motions. “I apologize; this is a first, as you may have gathered,” he reminded his partner before dropping her. For this last drop, time seemingly slowed for Crow, with his worries clouding his vision as Trileon was left to fall back in slow motion. Someone, please catch her...

mothspit mothspit

Azaria couldn't hide the gentle smirk that shaped her lips when he complimented her. There truly was something in the music. "As Death should be," she purred.

The elf's movements became more fluid after his bet, which she neglected to inform him was insulting to a woman of her skill. Seven, he said. But she let him have his bet, and continued to let him lead her in dance. He knew it well, and, slowly, the assassin found herself trusting him, just a bit. They had, after all, just saved each other's asses on the ship. But when he tossed her up in the air, spinning, her heart leapt into her throat and she had every urge to save herself. Azaria, in her brief airborne moment, had to find it in herself to trust this man, this high elf, Everreach soldier of a man, to catch her at just the right moment lest she break her legs.

And he did.

Where she landed in his arms, dipped low, she met his gaze. His eyes were green, like her own. His hair was soft at the back of his neck where her hand rested, her other on his shoulder. The halfling's chest rose and for a moment longer she forgot she was supposed to be counting the ways she could have ended his life. Until he asked. "Once," she stated, and pressed hard on the pressure point just beneath his ear, just enough for him to pass out for a few seconds.

Looking into her eyes, being in tune with he breathing...there was something there; however, Iolas could not place his finger on it. For the first time in a long time he was puzzled, and...feeling. It was a pleasant frustration that overcame him as he struggled to reason with his internal storm, a storm that she brought about. His smile slowly faded as their gaze lingered just a tad longer than expected. It was not that he was worried about her response, but he felt that troublesome thump in his chest yet again. Why was his breaths heavier, why was his heart beating so fast, why couldn't he look away and smile like he always did? He couldn't deny it, she was beautiful and he was seeing a side to her that he didn't know existed...and she was bringing out a side to himself he thought was killed at birth. After what seemed like an eternity she answered with a voice he was beginning to grow fond of, Once. Once, that even shocked Iolas, who had made the wager. Iolas could not hide his confusion, surely he was not that good, but...she would not lie about this. During his internal dialogue and shock he noticed her hand moving toward him. He did not flinch when she reached toward his ear, he wouldn't have been able to stop it anyway, and pressed on the pressure point in the blink of an eye causing him to instantly feel faint. Despite the optics of such an act Iolas did not sense any malice; in fact, it could be said it was the exact opposite. Perhaps it was the best way she could express herself. Nevertheless, Iolas did his best to remain conscious as he squinted his eyes and took a clumsy step forward; however, he was overcome by Azaria's technique and fell forward onto her; however, he shifted his weight so that he would land on the side rather than on top of her, his arms still wrapped tightly around Azaria as he did his best to protect the not so delicate flower from a harmless fall. He was not out for too long, just a few seconds until he escaped the darkness that was cast upon him as he slowly opened his eyes.

"...Looks like I messed up...but I suppose I did win," Iolas said softly with a weak grin, still a bit groggy from having passed out. "...Since this is partly your fault...can we just stay like this...a little longer...until I can stand? It is my dying wish after all." Iolas was definitely milking the situation; however, it was as if someone else was controlling his thoughts, speech and emotions while he was along for the ride. His eyes remained on Azaria...he was completely oblivious to all else in the room as he attempted to figure out why he didn't want to let her go.

Zazz Zazz

"Now that I understand." Desrick said when Ora likened dancing to sparring, though as he stood before her, it felt odd to work with a partner that wasn't trying to hit him.
He stepped closer when she bade him, placing a massive hand gently one one of her small shoulders and another on her waist, checking back to the pair already dancing to make sure he'd gotten it right. Ora was so small he was afraid to tread on her.
Once the tune began he followed awkwardly, stepping wrong more times than right, but after several repetitions of the steps he began to get it right.
"Good Desrick good!" Pyrrhus encouraged cheerfully. "Now, try leading."
Desrick was expecting mockery in the tone, but Pyrrhus was genuine, as he always was. There was no judgement there at all.
The orc drew in a breath and stepped more confidently, guiding Ora's hand instead of being led by it. As he learned he watched Pyrrhus and Iolas and Azaria, trying out the more simple turns and pivots. At length a smile actually managed to creep onto his face, and, unbeknownst to him, his tongue was jutting out from the side of his mouth in his rapt focus on the steps.
Flutterby Flutterby

Pyrrhus was having great fun watching everyone. The joy painted across his graceful face was infectious. As he danced he added a few more complicated steps, challenging Pearl with a mischievous grin to match him.
HumbugPie HumbugPie

Even Gideon was caught in the middle of retreating into his house, watching the pairs as they twirled and danced to the centaur's lively playing.

Zazz Zazz LazyDaze LazyDaze Goonfire Goonfire mothspit mothspit

Ora kept an eye on the others as Desrick worked through the plain step. Her own steps were smaller than usual to avoid his massive feet, but she didn't need to watch him to know when he misstepped, and she made corrections with a small tsk-tsk and a subtle tap of her hand on his shoulder or near his hip. She wasn't ignoring him, just giving him the time to follow her without being watched from four inches away. Her gaze went past his arms, to the other pairs.
She could practically feel the.. well, the sexual tension in the air. It was disgustingly obvious that Iolas and Azaria were flirting with every step, every brushing spin, every lingering hand. And when she turned to look at Trileon and Crow, the way Nova watched them was not dissimilar. Were her eyes for Trileon, or Crow? At least when she looked over at Pyrrhus and Pearl, things seemed to right themselves back into chastity. That juxtaposition helped chase away the image of curly red hair and a mischievous grin that was hanging at the back of her mind.

As Desrick began to lead, Ora began to truly dance. The half-dwarf moved with as much expertise as the elves, but not with nearly the same fluidity. She wasn't artless; she displayed grace not common to her, but each extension of her arm ended with a flick of the wrist, turns ended with a similar motion of her hips that went all the way to the tip of her tail, gentle turns of the head became soft snaps. Stomps emphasized the important beats. Dwarves didn't languish in the fluid beauty of the dance. Their steps were decisive, designed to contrast a peaceful stretch with a sudden end. The challenge of a dwarven maid wasn't to be the most graceful- it was to show the most grace within strength.

"I'd never know you were a beginner," Ora remarked as she brought her eyes back to his face. They widened suddenly.
"Desrick, put your tongue back in your mouth before I lose my head," She did her absolute best to not laugh at him in that moment, and managed to look like a startled deer instead.

Iolas' statement confused Pearl a great deal. He was rather facinating to say the least and definitely made Pearl curious, "Thank you. I do have two left feet, so we'll see how artistic I really am," she tilted her head to the right slightly, narrowing her eyes in a questioning/curious fashion. There was something about this man that she couldn't quite put her finger on.
LazyDaze LazyDaze

As Pyrrhus trotted over to her, her skin returned to its muggy green once again, this time swirling and twirling around in a sickening kind of way, almost like a wirlpool. Pearl turned her head down to his feet, watching the steps he took, trying to memorise as best as she could. One deep breath and she began. To start with, she seemed to be coping rather well - surprisingly well, actually. She raised her head back up to smile at Ora; thanking her for speaking out. But with this one move, taking her eyes off of the ball, Pearl's feet started to tangle up. She tried to compensate, waving her arms to try and stay balanced, but the efforts failed... and she fell flat on her face.

Pearl stayed flat on the ground for a few seconds - not again, not again. This is the most simple part of the dance - before pushing up with her arms. "Ehm," she coughed, nervously laughing as she waited to be eaten alive by the rest of her team. Turning her head to look at Pyrrhus, she grimaced, almost asking him for help as her embarresment started to swallow her up.
Flutterby Flutterby SilverFlight SilverFlight LazyDaze LazyDaze mothspit mothspit Zazz Zazz Goonfire Goonfire

Last edited:
Desrick took Ora's corrections as best he could. She was a direct teacher and he appreciated it. He matched the straightforward practicality of her steps and when she praised him he broke into a pleased smile. It vanished quickly again after her final comment and he looked away, embarrassed.
"It's too bad my brother isn't here." He said, mirroring her thoughts. "He is much better at this sort of thing."
Still, Desrick had to try, and at the moment in the music he had seen the others attempt it, Desrick took Ora by the waist with both hands and whiskered her into the air. Though, he did not trust himself to let go, he turned and set her gently back down, still following the motion of the dance.
"I suppose I can see the appeal of it."
Flutterby Flutterby

Had Pyrrhus not been playing his lute he would have caught Pearl, however he could only look on in utter dismay as she lost her footing. He stopped playing and slung the instrument behind his back before kneeling to help the water elf back up.
"Have I mentioned how much I adore your hair?" He said, his smile bright and kind. "I've never met a water elf before, and I think it is absolutely wonderful." He was holding both her hands in his when she finally stood.
"You have a grace to your step that, with a little refining, could be the envy of the ball! I think we should work on that." Again, there was not even a hint of judgement in his tone. Pyrrhus would never be anything but enthusiastic and encouraging. "I'll take you through the steps more slowly, and if you let me, I'll keep a hold of you while I do."
He gave her a wink while still holding her hands. She wouldn't fall again while he was there.
HumbugPie HumbugPie

Ora felt a pang of guilt when her comment embarrassed Desrick. Not as much as it would have if she had burst out laughing, but still. He didn't quit dancing though, earning another small amount of admiration from her. He still moved like an orc, just the most artful orc she had ever met.

"I wasnt-" It was her turn to be embarrassed, and she tried to chase away her blush with a few deeper breaths.
A moment later, she said softly, "I.. hope we can go back soon. I'd like to.. get to know him better." Her eyes darted away from his face, her skin still glowing pink. Ora's attention wavered, she almost missed a step, and she definitely missed Desrick preparing for the toss.
She wasn't expecting him to even attempt it, and the feeling of being pulled off the ground drew a surprised squeak from her. That squeak was very shortly followed by a bright laugh, as she found the ground again and continued dancing. The dwarf was grinning ear to ear when she whispered, "I love to dance. I'm glad you.. well, almost like it, too." She just barely rolled her eyes.

The music stopped, and Ora looked over to see Pearl flat on the ground, with Pyrrhus encouraging her up. That seemed to bring her out of the spell, and Ora glanced around. Iolas and Azaria had since finished their demonstration, and even Gideon had stopped to watch them twirl about. At the edge of the scene, Lohr was watching from the doorway.
"You dance like you've done it everyday, Desrick. Maybe you'd like to teach Lohr?" Ora inclined her head in that direction with a soft smile.
SilverFlight SilverFlight Zazz Zazz HumbugPie HumbugPie

Looking into her eyes, being in tune with he breathing...there was something there; however, Iolas could not place his finger on it. For the first time in a long time he was puzzled, and...feeling. It was a pleasant frustration that overcame him as he struggled to reason with his internal storm, a storm that she brought about. His smile slowly faded as their gaze lingered just a tad longer than expected. It was not that he was worried about her response, but he felt that troublesome thump in his chest yet again. Why was his breaths heavier, why was his heart beating so fast, why couldn't he look away and smile like he always did? He couldn't deny it, she was beautiful and he was seeing a side to her that he didn't know existed...and she was bringing out a side to himself he thought was killed at birth. After what seemed like an eternity she answered with a voice he was beginning to grow fond of, Once. Once, that even shocked Iolas, who had made the wager. Iolas could not hide his confusion, surely he was not that good, but...she would not lie about this. During his internal dialogue and shock he noticed her hand moving toward him. He did not flinch when she reached toward his ear, he wouldn't have been able to stop it anyway, and pressed on the pressure point in the blink of an eye causing him to instantly feel faint. Despite the optics of such an act Iolas did not sense any malice; in fact, it could be said it was the exact opposite. Perhaps it was the best way she could express herself. Nevertheless, Iolas did his best to remain conscious as he squinted his eyes and took a clumsy step forward; however, he was overcome by Azaria's technique and fell forward onto her; however, he shifted his weight so that he would land on the side rather than on top of her, his arms still wrapped tightly around Azaria as he did his best to protect the not so delicate flower from a harmless fall. He was not out for too long, just a few seconds until he escaped the darkness that was cast upon him as he slowly opened his eyes.

"...Looks like I messed up...but I suppose I did win," Iolas said softly with a weak grin, still a bit groggy from having passed out. "...Since this is partly your fault...can we just stay like this...a little longer...until I can stand? It is my dying wish after all." Iolas was definitely milking the situation; however, it was as if someone else was controlling his thoughts, speech and emotions while he was along for the ride. His eyes remained on Azaria...he was completely oblivious to all else in the room as he attempted to figure out why he didn't want to let her go.

Zazz Zazz

She held his gaze even as he stumbled forward. There was indeed something there, just barely coming out of hiding behind his green eyes. Azaria lay beside him as he passed out, overtaken by his own body; she gently brushed a lock of blonde hair from his eyelid, lest it bother him when he woke.

The assassin cracked a smile when Iolas came to, and even gave a chuckle at his 'dying wish'. "Well, if I'm getting off that easy, I suppose I can indulge you," she teased. Really, she had no pressing need to leave him, and it sort of was her fault.

Thank Summrbrynde... Someone caught her...

Crow moseyed over to Trileon to compliment her performance; she had done so much better than he had. He looked up to see if anyone was watching—a moment of self-consciousness—and was quite relieved there were very few eyes on him. Rather, the scene playing out between his two teammates seemed like wholesome fun between two warriors. This time, he couldn’t stifle his laughter; he couldn’t tell why. It was as though he could laugh a little easier around this group. Nineteen years of stoicism and ill deeds seemingly melted away for the moment as he finally got a chance to enjoy himself and the company of others, for once in his life.

mothspit mothspit LazyDaze LazyDaze Zazz Zazz

Iolas smiled softly when she stated that she was getting off easy. He would never admit it, but he thought he had her figured out. Strangely enough, he was happy that this wasn't the case as he was certain Azaria would be the last person to be embraced by a someone who could very well be considered a stranger. He brushed her dark hair away, lightly running his hands across the tattoo that covered her scar. "...Should the opportunity present itself I hope you return the favor," Iolas said playfully as his eyes scanned every inch of her face as if he was taking in a rare sight. Her dark hair, piercing eyes, and the sharp canines that flashed when she smiled, Iolas was entranced by it all. He felt as if he was seeing her for the first time. However, that presented its own problems. With his past, did he deserve to be this close to anyone...would he be able to keep her safe? Although it was only an instant, Iolas nearly fell into the temptation to kiss her as he inched forward and pulled back nearly simultaneously, praying to god she didn't notice. It was only then that he realized his heart was leading him instead of his mind, and so he pulled back.

With these thoughts in mind Iolas helped her up to a seated position as he chose to observe the others while he sat beside her. "...Azaria...I," he started with a somber expression, various memories flooding through his mind. "Can I trust you...to stay alive," Iolas managed to whisper forming a pained smile as he tugged gently on her arm like a child attempting to find comfort...and for the first time in as long as he could remember, he was completely vulnerable, allowing himself to be completely open, if only for a moment. The truth was that he never feared his own death, sometimes he even longed for it; however, he did not want to bring about that curse to anyone else. He knew it was not something someone could answer logically, yet feeling the joy and dread of getting close to someone you might lose, he had to ask her. Perhaps it was Azaria's noticeable change in this moment that made him act out of character, perhaps it was the lovely melody around them, but being with her in this moment made him want to change, or at least try. He wanted to care about someone, he wanted to trust himself, and he wanted to trust her.

Zazz Zazz

The assassin nearly pulled away when her scar was touched, but she found that she couldn't; she... wanted to be touched, to be seen. It was strange, how this man she had met not long ago had such an effect on her. Her brows knitted, only for a moment, while she searched his eyes, trying to guess at what he was thinking. What he was seeing. They were kind eyes, yet broken. His soul was broken, yearning to be fixed. And she wanted to fix it.

She was puzzled by his words. Together, they sat, looking on as the orc danced with the dwarf, and Crow with the blue beastwoman. She felt him tug at her arm, but it felt like someone else's arm, someone else's body. This wasn't her. Nay, falling over men was not her specialty. Killing them quietly was. Yet here was this man, this high elf of Everreach with likely the same ruthless training as Lassard himself, dancing with her, tugging on her arm like he needed her. Azaria's sharp brows grew firm as she started to close up, putting up her walls again. The music had stopped; Pearl had fallen.

But his question brought humour to her face, if a little dark. "I am an assassin. Of course you can trust me to stay alive." She shrugged out of his grasp and stood, then walked over to the orc and the dwarf. "May I have this dance?" Azaria asked of Ora. "I think loverboy over there would like Desrick to himself."

…..She pulled away. Iolas' smile faded as he let his arm drop lifelessly to the floor. His eyes never changed, calm, somber, clouded. He didn't know what to feel, or think, so he felt nothing. He looked on, seeing Pearl flat on her face...the stoppage of the music was ironically well timed. He pondered which one of them was in a worse position as he began to clap, sarcastically applauding Pearl's faceplant. "Could not have done better myself, bravo," Iolas said while his mind drifted elsewhere. He attempted to continue as if nothing happened; however, his voice was faint, his eloquence not quite as sharp. Iolas was forcing himself to put on the mask, to be the Iolas he let them know...She pulled away. She'll stay alive...she pulled away. Already broken, her other remarks did little to dent an already fractured heart that was beginning to heal, perhaps that's why it hurt even more. He looked at his lifeless arm as if it betrayed him, suddenly remember why he was not allowed to have hope, joy, or even grief. "...Twice," Iolas whispered to himself referring to the earlier kill count. He stood up slowly and glanced around the room. He felt lost, abandoned, and foolish. Iolas had no idea what to say, or do at the moment. In a twisted way he figured it was well deserved.

HumbugPie HumbugPie

"...Welllllll, that is...our demonstration. I believe you are all ready to have your date with Lassard," Iolas said, attempting to be his usual self. A single tear formed in his left eye, hidden underneath the bangs that covered that portion of his face. He pulled up the scarf that was around his neck so that it would avoid detection once it trailed down his face. Suddenly glad that he was not a water elf, he paused, unsure of where it came from, such displays of emotion was...unusual to say the least. "I will be back, unfresh air is calling me," Iolas said to everyone and no one at the same time. "And Crow...nice catch...,"

Iolas slowly walked to the door, eager to leave the situation and be alone as it was meant to be.

SilverFlight SilverFlight Zazz Zazz Goonfire Goonfire

Last edited:
Pearl was still a little dazed as Pyrrhus pulled her back up onto her feet. She took one of her hands away, patting her lips together while simultaneously pulling a disgusted face. Realising to her dismay that a blade of grass had entered her mouth, she bowed her head and pulled it out; putting her hand behind her back to drop it back onto the floor as discreately as possible. As Pyrrhus mentioned her hair, one of the small fish, similar to that of a clown fish, swam around to the side of her face and looked the centaur in the eyes, "thank you. No one has complimented my hair before." She gave him a smile, which was quickly interrupted by Iolas' clapping. She darted her head to look at him, his sarcasm just adding to her humiliation. He seemed different, somehow - like he wasn't all there. This made her feel rather uneasy. His personality was interesting, but gave her so many bad vibes.
LazyDaze LazyDaze

Moving her head back round to Pyrrhus, she placed her hand back in his, keeping her eyes on Iolas for a few more seconds to see if he had anything more to say that would embarrass her before responding to the centaur's kind words: "I can never seem to coordinate my feet with the steps in my head, which means I have to look at them constantly," she spoke with a self-deprecating tone, before smirking at Pyrrhus, "I am certain you can dance so much more elegantly than those racist, stuck up Evereachs," she whispered, "it's so unfair that you cannot attend as a guest. You carry yourself with so much grace. No amount of wealth and power could ever cover up their unkind, unclassy ways."

"Oh?" Desrick's eyes were alight with curiosity. "In orc culture, anyone who wishes to court a person can be challenged by any member of their family."
There was a hint of mischief in his smile. "Fortunately for you, Crispin is a wood elf, and I don't think I'd challenge you anyway, you're too clever."
At the compliment Desrick brushed the back of his neck with a hand. "I think you are just trying to make me feel better, Ora of the Silver Tongue, but...yes. I would like to teach him, but I am worried about what the sun has done to his skin. I don't want to press him until he recovers."
He hadn't noticed Azaria leave Iolas until she was standing right before them. He blinked at her in surprise.
"Speaking of Lohr at any rate, I would like to check on him." Desrick stood back and gave Ora a mock bow, as he imagined it would have been in an official Sumennan court.
"Until later."
Zazz Zazz Flutterby Flutterby

Lohr was watching them from the doorway and Desrick approached in silence, offering the drow a warm smile. "We got the people free. Every last one. Including Marillene's father."
Then a hint of sympathy crept into his soft, rumbling baritone: "How is your back?"
Desrick stepped closer to he could see for himself, not daring to touch him for fear he might cause pain. "Does the sun balm help?"
Zazz Zazz

Pyrrhus shot Iolas an annoyed look as he made Pearl feel even worse. There were limits.
"Really? No one?" Pyrrhus turned back to the water elf with surprise. "I've never seen the like."
Her steady attack on Evereach made him laugh, a light, joyful sound. "Well! My goodness. I can see you're no fan of the high elves here, and just so you know," he leaned a bit closer, "with me, flattery will get you anywhere!"
He had another laugh before becoming just a little more serious.
"Well, I think I know what your problem is." He let the words hang for just a moment.
"You're using your head, when all you need, is this." He reached out and pressed a pair of fingers over her heart. "Stop thinking, just feel the music and let your body move. Precision will come later. You just need to have fun."
Pyrrhus had been watching the happenings between Azaria and Iolas out of one eye. He had to stop himself from heaving a sigh when Azaria pulled away. He knew his friend, and his heart went out to Iolas, who seemed to have been lost since he had wandered into Delan nearly a week ago.
"I won't be a moment Pearl dear, I just need something for my lute."
He pulled the instrument off his back and trotted towards the mansion.
HumbugPie HumbugPie Zazz Zazz LazyDaze LazyDaze

"You know," Pyrrhus begun when he had come level with Iolas. "It is amazing, usually anyone who gets close to Azaria is met with a knife, and yet you've come away completely un-stabbed."
He began playing with the strings of his instrument idly, tightening and plucking, pretending to tune it.
"I've known her for quite a while and...that is the first time I have ever seen that sort of light in her eyes." He did not need to feign admiration, Pyrrhus truly cared for his friend, and had only to tap that feeling to relate the value of what Iolas had done for her.
"I...would hate to see the inspiration of that light discouraged..."
He took up a small piece of wood from the table, and using it, struck a chord on the strings in perfect harmony. "Ah, wonderful," he uttered with a satisfied sigh and patted the instrument fondly.
"It takes a lot of delicate care, but put the time in...and you'll have something that truly enriches your soul."
Pyrrhus turned to go, but the way he had spoken would make one wonder whether he was really talking about his lute at all.
LazyDaze LazyDaze

"I'm back!" Pyrrhus all but sang as he trotted into the grove of willow trees. He played a few merry notes using the pick and danced a set to match, his grace and speed a stark reminder that he was very far from the animal his bottom half resembled.
"Let's try something different! I want you to make up your own dance. Nevermind what is in that book, just get a sense of the rhythm and move with it."
HumbugPie HumbugPie
Goonfire Goonfire mothspit mothspit Flutterby Flutterby LazyDaze LazyDaze Zazz Zazz

Last edited:
Ora's glare at Desrick was soft when he teased her. She had expected the teasing, not the compliments, and both made him deserving of a glare. But she couldn't bring herself to do it- a smile played across her lips and she had to roll her eyes in exasperation.
Ora of the Silver Tongue. Ora Silvertongue. Wouldn't be a bad name if I decided to drop Hearth.
She let him comments go unanswered, because she was afraid she would never get rid of the pink tinge if she kept talking about Crispin. It was irritating- they had known each other.. a few mark-rounds? No, more than that, because it took three to make the treaty, and they were there for one or two before that.. The time in Cyndara was a blur, but still too short to warrant her becoming flustered at the thought of someone she had met there.
She looked over to where Lohr was standing, considering him. He looked okay, at least much improved, and surely he would be okay in the shade of the great tree they were under. In any case, Desrick retreated with a bow as Azaria came and asked for (demanded) her hand. Ora gave a short, clear laugh at his bow, and then turned to the assassin.

The dwarf looked at the her new partner, then at the retreating Iolas, who called something about 'unfresh air.' For the second time that day, Ora was not convinced about his.. state of mind. Her dark gaze flicked back to Azaria. She was somehow even less familiar than Iolas- because she hadn't gone book shopping, hadn't told her she was uniquely beautiful and meant it, hadn't taken off the mask. The other halfling was even more difficult to read, but the faint inkling of disquiet she might have felt from Iolas was enough for her to make a half-hearted guess.
"Must have been some dance to send both of you running in opposite directions." There was no humor in the statement, but no judgement either. Just words, just a barely thought-out observation. Ora was already giving her muscles a quick stretch, preparing for another dance. The dwarf chose not to think about why Azaria had approached her- best not pull at threads she didn't want to unravel. It would be best to get the dance over with, and then she could go commandeer Gideon's estate forge.
"I assume you will lead, since you're asking," She murmured, then added, "I have a horrible feeling I will be sore tomorrow."
Zazz Zazz

Crow nonchalantly rolled his eyes at Iolas. "Why, thank you. I’ve been practicing dropping people for years," he remarked in a flat but sarcastic manner. As he waited for the next lesson, he yawned and rubbed his eyes, stubbornly fighting off the fatigue that bade him to sleep. To take his mind off it, he considered who he would invite to the ball... or, more likely, who would take him. He wasn't quite as courageous as the others, in his mind; it would be a feat to outright ask someone without feeling as though it was a sudden imposition or a date, especially around the more assertive characters.

"Oh, welcome back," Crow sighed lightly, shifting his thoughts away from his own awkwardness. Pyrrhus' graceful stride and elegant instrumentals inspired the inquisitor to try and dance one more time. It was easy to tell he was putting way too much thought into his method, rather than simply feeling the music. At its core, this dance was supposed to be a show of rhythm and instinct, and it took some time for Crow to realize he was, in fact, overthinking this whole exercise. Upon adapting without thinking, his movements flowed slightly better, and he swayed about freely on Gideon's lawn, his own body keeping the rhythm as his mind went blank. He wanted to dance alone this time, so that he could get the feel for it before trying again with a partner.

LazyDaze LazyDaze SilverFlight SilverFlight

Last edited:
Lohrithe met the orc with a warm smile of his own, a twinkle in his green-and-midnight eyes. He was proud of Desrick, saving the people who had been captured by Everreach. He did not understand slavery, but he knew kidnapping was never a good thing. This group and its mission was strange, but Desrick was his rock; he wished to be strong for the orc. Lohrithe took his hand and brought it to his reddish cheek. "It is helping. It burns less." He hesitated, though, and asked, turning to show his shoulder. "...Is it meant to peel like that?"

What an absurd series of motions. Crow found his eyes torn between two subjects: Trileon and the dancing pair of elves. He couldn’t help admitting to himself, this was a demanding undertaking. With his attention divided, he found his two (metaphorical) left feet causing a few close calls, only avoided by Trileon’s graceful motions. “I apologize; this is a first, as you may have gathered,” he reminded his partner before dropping her. For this last drop, time seemingly slowed for Crow, with his worries clouding his vision as Trileon was left to fall back in slow motion. Someone, please catch her...

mothspit mothspit
Trileon giggled heartily, "That's alright my friend. You dance wonderfully." When it came time for the toss, Trileon was ready, hoping to be caught..

..And someone did. Nova was in place immediately, catching the blue lady with a quickness, and gently setting her onto her feet. Trileon had begun laughing to herself, the frivolity of the moment overtaking her. Nova smiled a wide grin-- It was good to see someone enjoying themselves in times like this. As she put her armor back on, she overheard Pyrrhus mention making up another dance. She approached Trileon when Crow wandered off by himself, her hands outstretched.

"Good job," She said with a smile, "Would you honor me with this dance, Trileon?"

Trileon nodded, offering a small curtsy with her skirt, "I'd be delighted."

The two took each others hands, and with Nova in the lead, they began dancing in a sort of avant-garde tango-- Kicks and spins only amplified with exaggerated flair.

"We make quite the pair," Trileon mused.

"We do," Nova agreed, "You should stick by me for this party, it could be dangerous."

Again, Trileon's cheeks flushed purple. With her concentration broken, she fumbled, and the dance halted for a moment, the two arm-in-arm. She gulped, but gave a tiny nod,
"That would be.. most appreciated."

Pearl followed Pyrrhus' look at Iolas, trying to see any sign of change on his sculpted elven face, "I don't dislike high elves, I dislike Evereach greatly for the things they have done and for my personal dealings with them," she didn't want to mention that Iolas was the first high elf she had met since the disgrace of her parents because she wanted to give him a chance. Though she felt embarrassed and caught off guard by his jabs and comments, there was something beneath that he wasn't showing. It made her curious.

As Pyrrhus' fingers made contact with her heart, Pearl snapped out of her daydream, "so you're saying I'm thinking too much? I believe you'd be correct about that most of the time, Pyrrhus," she laughed, thinking about what he had said; feel the music. Does he mean the vibration? That must be it. Pearl nodded with a smile as Pyrrhus waltzed over to Iolas. Though she couldn't make out all of the words he spoke to the high elf, she caught a phrase every now and again, which only fed her hunger for answers to all of the questions she had about him.

Pearl shook her head to bring back her thoughts into the present, taking her eyes off of Iolas and Pyrrhus for a moment. She took off her hat and placed it on the ground underneath one of the willow trees next to her. Maybe it was stopping her from 'feeling the music' as Pyrrhus had suggested. Standing back up, she noticed the centaur trotting back over, "welcome back, Pyrrhus," time to get stuck in, Pearl. You need to learn this before the grand ball otherwise it'll be your downfall, "dance without instructions, you say? Gosh, you may want to be ready to catch me," she snorted, the self-depricating joke telling everything about her nerves he needed to know.

Listening to the tune before she started, she tried to follow the rythmn, tapping her foot in time before moving the rest of her body. To start with, she was overthinking everything: place your foot here, don't trip on that rock, am I smiling enough? Do I look awkward? But she looked up at Pyrrhus and remembered what he had said: just have fun! With that, she bowed in front of the centaur and presented her hand, speaking in a posh tone: "may I have the pleasure of taking this dance, kind sir?" Still bowing, she raised her head slightly, smirking at Pyrrhus in a joking way. She felt very comfortable in his presence, like nothing she had felt with another person before. Though she didn't know if he felt the same way and whether this would blossom into a friendship, she was greatful to even be in position where something like this could be a possibility.
LazyDaze LazyDaze SilverFlight SilverFlight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back