• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Setting Summer Dawn

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
"I understand."

Once they were safely inside, she lowered her hood. Trileon knelt down by the resting Lohrithe, her dark eyes looking over his pinkish skin. She gently placed the tips of her fingers on his exposed forearm, and once she felt the heat, she recoiled slowly so as not to wake him. She hadn't seen anything like this before. This ailment wasn't like anything typically found in Cyndara.. But, simple deduction lead her to believe he had been out in the sun for too long. His body wasn't prepared for these conditions. This.. sun sickness.. left him dehydrated, and that raised his body temperature. It looked like a simple fix to treat the symptoms, but for the long term..

"He will need to rest, and drink lots of water," She said with a thoughtful frown, "But.. he will be okay. Clothing could help, but if the worse happens, it will not be enough."

She began rummaging through the leather satchel carrying her own potions. She knew how to craft one's to help with fluid intake, but a potion against the sun? That sounded tricky. She pulled out an assortment of dried plantlife, and a set of stone tools, and laid them out on the floor in front of her.

"A potion could help for a time, however what I'm thinking could perhaps help all of us.." She furrowed her brow, wracking her mind for the solution to this puzzle, "..Normally, something like foolsleaf or Cyndabrynde's Thumb would do the trick, but even then, potions.. they are temporary."

She looked up at him from the floor, holding up her palm, "May I see yours? And some flowers, as well.. As colorful as you can find. I believe I have an idea."

tools.jpg

SilverFlight SilverFlight

((i hope youre cool with the plant names, i just made them up lol))

Things seemed to return back to normalcy, or at least what he assumed what was normalcy to them. After all, Iolas had just recently begun traveling with the group of misfits. Iolas heart might even moved a bit when Pyrrhus was back to his excited, and curious self. It was difficult to ascertain his actual age since he could go from a stoic, and wise centaur, to a child who had been let loose in a room full of toys. He shook his head at Pyrrhus jest and shrugged his shoulders. "Surely it does not get any worse than me, I must be losing my touch," Iolas playfully retorted back.

When Gideon began to answer his question, Iolas grabbed a plate and started placing some food on it, offering a dry "Is that so" and an "Ah, that's too bad." It might seem a bit narcissistic to inquire about one's self, but you could never be too careful. At the very least, it did not seem as if anyone knew him by his looks alone. This was not too strange since he did disappear at a fairly young age. Only a few people would probably be able to see through his moderate aging. Lastly, apparently he was known as a golden boy...who was dead. Either fact could be useful in the future, Iolas would just have to determine what would be the most useful way to utilize his position in Sumenna, if at all. "Thanks, I was just hearing rumors is all. I just looovvveeeee superstitions." Iolas said hoping everyone else would catch a hint that he was not Iolas on this trip, at least not yet.

Once more, he looked for Desrick, but he seemed busy preparing something for Lohrithe. Since it seemed as if he would be back, Iolas relaxed against a wall and instead enjoyed his meal.

Desrick nodded. "I'm sure if we ask, Gideon will provide us with what we need to make the potion. Sumenna may even have a version of what we need."
He lead the way back up stairs. "We should rest a little at least."

Th sun was almost blinding when Desrick came back into it after being in the dark cellar. He found his allies had moved from the entrance-way to a shaded grove by the pond. There were several servants setting up a table and chairs and setting it with food and pitchers of cool water.
Desrick joined them, going to speak to Gideon about what they required.
"Hmm, best person I have on staff for medicine would be Marillene."

At the sound of her name one of the servants turned. She was small, only a little taller than Ora, in a lavender dress and a white apron and bonnet. There was a spatter of brown freckles across her cheeks and the bridge of a cat-like nose, the underside of which was wet and bright pink. Her two front teeth were slightly larger than the others and poked out from under her full lips. Her eyes were big and bright and hazel brown, with long, delicate lashes. Her most striking features however, were her ears, which were so long they flopped like a rabbit's on either side of her head, ending in rounded tips just past her shoulders and nestled in a thick bed of dark brown curls. A tufted tail flicked and twitched behind the folds of her dress. She came up to Gideon and the Cyndarans who had asked for her expertise, curtsying politely. She seemed very impressed with all of them and clasped her hands against her apron, casting her eyes downwards in bashful modesty.
"Mari is a troll. She has an excellent knowledge of Sumennan plants, and even has a little magic with them."
"I..can help them grow." Mari said softly.
mothspit mothspit

"Oh, Desrick," Pyrrhus said when he caught sight of the orc. "We were just talking about Iolas Orixalim, apparently he was one of Evereach's most prominent members before he vanished into Cyndara."
He looked at Desrick pointedly, both informing him of what he had learned and at the same time, communicating the mild deception. Desrick's lips tightened, he glared at Iolas with no small amount of suspicion.
"That sounds like an interesting tale." He remarked slowly. "I would like to hear it sometime."
Desrick would hold his peace for now, but he made no secret of the fact that the news troubled him.
LazyDaze LazyDaze

Ora stayed on the ground for the walk to the outpost, feeling a little bad about her companions slaving under the sun while she had Luta. They were blessed to arrive without causing a commotion, and they slipped inside the stable quietly. Ora drew the doors shut behind them, and noticed the visible relief on the faces of the Cyndarans. She frowned- this was only going to get harder, and they already were struggling with the sun. She made a few trips outside the stable, to fetch water, and to keep shooing the stable hands away.
Gideon's arrival came as a great relief to the dwarf, and she gave him a nod when his eyes finally found her. She stayed silent, for the most part, just helped get her companions set for the journey. When it came time to leave, she climbed aboard Luta and pulled her hood up over her horns.
~~~~~
The sight of Brynson, at last after miles of the same hills, was not as much of a relief as she had thought it would be. The city made her feel sick.. or was that the sun?
At the gate, she removed her hood to be seen clearly by the guards, but the soldiers' eyes slid past her without pause. Once again, she was a member of the invisible. They walked straight through the serving district, the place where people who looked like her lived, and all Ora could do was keep her eyes on Luta's neck. The only looks she got were.. odd, and she knew they were questioning why a servant would be riding alongside and not walking. A few looks suggested she was a prized servant, and Ora scowled. Sumenna was making her feel small, again, and she hated it.

Safely behind the walls of Gideon's estate, Ora watched as the hidden Cyndarans emerge from the wagon. They looked terrible, Lohr especially, and Ora started to feel panic set in. What have I done? Even the affection between a particular two didn't do much to quell it.
"I need a drink," She muttered to Luta before dismounting. A servant stepped forward, and Ora handed off the pony with no small amount of instructions.

When she turned back to the group, they were moving away to eat. She scampered after them, and went straight for the food. With a plate piled high and a large cup of water, Ora turned to seek out Gideon. As she did, she tried to catch the eyes of the Cyndarans still around, but pointedly avoided the other Sumennans.
Quietly, she approached, asking, "Any news out of Evereach, or Dwerstand?" She eyed Gideon slyly, and then added, "Or news of what this will cost me? Don't you trading lot have a price for everything?" It sounded like a joke, but it was her way of proding- he had said something earlier about having much at stake, and it didn't quite sit right with her to not ask.
Zazz Zazz hwayi hwayi mothspit mothspit
Yatasal Yatasal LazyDaze LazyDaze

The assassin, meanwhile, had managed to slip away from the group just before reaching Brynson. She didn't much like walking past guards; they usually had a habit of winding up dead. No, Azaria found a weak point in the wall and snuck right into the merchant district. Using whatever alleys and shadows there were to her advantage, she rejoined the group just before reaching Gideon's estate.

The whole journey, a question had been on her mind: why was he helping them? What had Ora said that convinced him to put "more at stake than his reputation"? What was Gideon's part in all of this?

...What kind of war was being orchestrated?

Azaria had a feeling there was much more to this than a group of adventurous Cyndarans coming to rescue a crystal. And then there was that, too. What was so special about this glow-in-the-dark rock that Everreach was so interested in? What kind of power did they hope to gain from it? Nothing was good about any of this. And half the darklanders were seemingly useless under the sun. This was already going downhill.

When she found Ora talking to Gideon, Azaria stayed close enough to listen, but far enough that she would not be caught eavesdropping. Plate in hand, she stood against a tree, pointed ears alert.

Trileon walked with her hood raised again in an effort to shield her face from the sun, and her arm intertwined with the large Desrick to keep her from falling. When they made their way to the the table, she slumped down into one of the spaces, pouring herself a tall glass of water before downing nearly all of it's contents with one large gulp. She sigh in relief, and wiped a small bead of sweat from her brow. Why couldn't this side of the land be in perpetual overcast? Something other than this harshness.

When the troll woman Marillene approached, Trileon had just finished loading a plate with various fruits and veg, and a small portion of fish. She smiled and offered a small bow of her head, "Hello there," She said softly. What an adorable creature!

"I'd like to inquire about your plantlife here. Are there any that grow in large numbers compared to the rest? Something you can find anywhere?" She paused for a moment to think, "..And something extremely colorful, usually poisonous when eaten?"

For the most part, Quinn remained quiet during the journey, as did most other people. Brynson wasn't unlike other Summenan cities, and it reminded Quinn of her hometown. The districts were even divided similarly, and once they reached it Quinn took a deep breath and felt some tension float away. She might be doing a dangerous, traitorous thing, but at least she was in full view of the sun for all hours, just as it should be. Members of their group began to split off once they reached Gideon's estate, and he opened the floor to questions. He also didn't seem to take note of Quinn's appearance in the group, despite the fact that she was Summenan. Although, so was Ora and Azaria, so Quinn supposed that a third Summenan wasn't so unusual.

Quinn eventually found herself sitting cross-legged on the grass, a small plate of food in her lap. It looked good, but Quinn wasn't very hungry and would only occasionally pick at it. In truth, she had heard Ora question Gideon, asking for news concerning Evereach or Dwerstand. Quinn couldn't care less about the dwarves, but she was keen to learn of Evereach's movements. The sooner she left this group, the better. Of course, if the double agent role was to work--something Lassard might not even go for--she needed to have a secret way to contact him without the others knowing. Everyone suspected her of being a traitor, and Quinn's quietness hadn't done much to ease those suspicions. So she'd be watched, which meant that she had to be extra careful. Even still, she needed to talk to Lassard somehow, find out what her orders were.

She picked at a bit of a dark bread, chewing it thoughtfully. A bird could work, if she could find a reliable service in Brynson that wouldn't ask questions and could be trusted not to answer them. Had she been in the major cities, Quinn would have access to a network of past clients, people who owed her favors, and other individuals with less-than-legal skills. But she didn't know anyone in Brynson, and that made everything more challenging.

If only if only if only... Quinn thought to herself, and waited for Gideon's response.

@ anyone who wants to interact

Gideon gave Ora a surprised look, then burst out into a loud laugh. "Just as I'd expect! Nothing gets past you, does it Lady Oralia?"
His smiled turned slightly bitter. "It's a long story, but the short of it is, I have a little test of commitment I'd like to put to you and your friends, but first, I'll give you the news I've dug up, that is free, even if my help isn't."
He helped himself to a pear, taking a large bite a chewing thoughtfully before be focused on Ora again, not unaware that there were others listening.
"The dwarves have been uncharacteristically quiet about dismissing Evereach's doom prophecy lately. As you've heard, Evereach has called for the houses to raise their armies and unite against the 'horrific Cyndaran threat'. My spies say that House Dwerstand is having its arm twisted, Evereach has something on them and is forcing their support, I fear the house won't be able to resist much longer before it will be forced to contribute soldiers. House Brynson is waffling, not standing for or against, they're holding a massive ball in one week's time, inviting some of the highest ranking of House Evereach and Dwerstand, hoping they can appease both parties, or buy time. I'm still trying to get a hold of the guest list, but it promises to be quite the spectacle, they're sparing no expense..."
Flutterby Flutterby Zazz Zazz Yatasal Yatasal LazyDaze LazyDaze

"H-hello." Mari returned the greeting, looking up at Trileon with bright eyes, she hung onto every word the beastwoman said.
"Oh! I think I know the flower that could help! It grows along the wall in the serving district, sometimes it carpets the whole street! The animals know not to touch it. I could go collect some for you." Gideon was standing nearby and she trotted up to him, waiting for a break in the conversation.
mothspit mothspit

Gideon paused and looked down at Mari as she appeared. "Um, Master Gideon, sir, one of our guests needs a flower from the edge of town. I--"
"You are not going out there alone."
"But I know all the secret ways! I can avoid the main roads, it will be crowded anyway, the Snatchers won't find me."
Gideon's smile was pained. "Mari, I know you're capable, but you can't go alone, I'm not risking your safety, not after your father..." he trailed off as if he hadn't meant to mention the girl's father. The effect it had on Mari was immediate, she grew still and sad, her eyes growing wet.

Gideon, having given his answer turned back to Oralia and those who were listening. "So, now's its your turn. I don't have spies in Cyndara, I want to know what Evereach was doing there, I know they sent one of their top captains, and I know they sent more fighters than they'd need for a simple scouting party. So?"
Flutterby Flutterby Zazz Zazz Yatasal Yatasal LazyDaze LazyDaze mothspit mothspit hwayi hwayi

Pyrrhus, having loaded a plate with fresh grapes, sliced apple and a mountain of other fruit, went to sit by Quinn, flopping into the grass behind her so the soft fur of his flank pressed against her back.
"Jilaina! have you tried these?" He was holding a small stalk of the pale green grapes, shining with the water they had just been washed with.
"I've never tasted anything like them! I think these may be my most favourite food in the world..." he trailed off as he registered her posture and expression.
"You look like you have something on your mind." His tone was suddenly much more gentle, and his attention much more focused. "What's wrong?"
Yatasal Yatasal

Last edited:
Iolas was already inching toward Ora in a casual manner, taking in his surroundings, eating his food. When he neared her Gideon began to speak, and as to not seem rude he gave pause to his own mission and listened to the words that he spoke. Trust was necessary to come out of this alive, but that very trust could be their undoing. It was a fun question to ponder; to trust and die, or to not trust and die?

It was interesting to know that Everreach still had as much, or even more influence since he last saw it. The doom prophecy also held some weight, for this is the first time Iolas had heard about it. He continued to listen, intensely, trying to pick up on any hint of deception, or any signs that would point to something that was left unsaid. When he finally finished Iolas leaned down and whispered into Ora’s ear. “I have some information that could help us, find me later…”
Flutterby Flutterby

As if he did nothing at all Iolas shrugged his shoulders and smirked, “Glad to see things did not change much. We still use parties to mask the darkness brewing under the sun,” Iolas said with a chuckle. “Everyone here knows more about any news regarding Cyndara than me. I am just their plaything,” Iolas said playfully, answering Gideon's question.

Trileon frowned at Gideon's blatant disregard of the little trolls request. Though, the mention of these 'snatchers' raised interest. That didn't sound good. Were they some kind of poachers? The beastwoman stood and, carefully moving around the table, she crouched down at Mari's height. She gently placed a hand on the girls shoulder.

"That's alright. Perhaps I could go with you?" She gave a glance to Gideon, awaiting his approval. That flower could potentially save most of their lives. If he wouldn't allow her to go with her, Trileon would go by herself. Or at the very least, with someone else-- Maybe with the scout or.. the scary one not talking. Either way, she needed that flower.

"..I need it to make a remedy against your sun. Please."

Mention: Yatasal Yatasal Zazz Zazz

Ora turned pink almost immediately as Gideon responded. She had chastised him more than once for the 'Lady Oralia' bit, and it had yet to make an impression on him. Her blush subsided quickly, at the mention of Dwerstand having its arm twisted. That was.. uncommon- her House rarely gave the other Houses enough information for it to be considered 'dirt.' Whatever it was, must be a big deal.
With that in mind, she added a few reasons to the list of why they should try to get into that ball. It was to be a true party, she wouldn't even need to send a letter to Dwerstand..

The dwarf bit her tongue politely during the conversation between he and the troll woman. Ora was about to speak up, to offer to take the troll to the edge of town herself, when she felt a large presence hovering behind her. It didn't bring the comforting feeling that Desrick did, nor did she think she would turn to see the innocent face of Lohr. Ora's shoulders tensed, and held her breath. Iolas's words fell on her ear, and she swallowed softly. Not likely, she thought to herself. But could she afford not to?
When she regained herself, Gideon was asking about what had happened in Cyndara, and Iolas was moving away from her with a flippant comment. The dwarf frowned, and answered Gideon softly,
"They sent the first party, the one Dwerstand refused to join, to 'find weaknesses' and such. We were there.. I don't know, a few days. When Evereach came." There was a pause, and she added, "Lead by that Lassard- they attacked two settlements. We fought them off at one, but the other was lost."
She gave the others a glance, and then ended with, "They took the crystal that lit and protected that settlement. We don't know what they want with it."
Her entire explanation was spoken quickly, in a low voice, and as she ended, Azaria spoke up. Ora dropped her eyes, and took a bite of the food she was holding, as she realized she had no idea what Azaria was asking about. She had missed something, when Iolas had distracted her.

Gideon raised his eyebrow at Iolas, but didn't pursue the issue.
After extricating himself from the question regarding Cyndara Pyrrhus coughed at the last thing Iolas said.
"You wish..." He mumbled into a fist.

Gideon's expression turned to concern when Trileon explained why she needed the flowers. "All right, but go armed. I would send my personal guards with you, but I fear that might make things worse." Feelng he needed to explain after saying that he took a deep breath.
Before that though, he listened to Ora's news.
Desrick added his piece too: "Let's not forget that Evereach fully expected the party to be dead. Slain by my people."
"Those silk-wearing bastards!" Gideon exclaimed. "The reconnaissance party...I knew Evereach was planning something. Why send representatives from major houses when they have qualified spies that could have gotten the information? The death of that party would help solidify Cyndara as a real threat, justify this insane war they're planning."
Gideon tracked through the rest of what Ora had said. "You say they stole a crystal? Hmm..."
"You know something?" Desrick asked, unable to keep the hope from his voice.
"Not yet." Gideon admitted. "I'll need to keep digging. That could take time. Meanwhile, you are welcome to stay here."

Marillene was already pulling on Trileon's wrist. "We'll be quick as we can."
It was Gideon that first noticed Trileon's fatigued state. "Nono, I want you to take someone else too." He cast his eyes about and they fell on the one who had asked about the 'snatchers'.
"Take her." He said, thinking now was a good time to answer Azaria.
"There have been reports of disappearances in the lower quarter. Nothing that would alert the city guard, they never care what happens in the serving district. But I noticed, and I noticed a pattern: They weren't taking slaves. People who had masters with clout in the community. They only took people who wouldn't be missed, but recently, they've been taking servants, mainly servants of merchants and nobles who are vocally against supporting Evereach. That is why I believe my guards would not serve you well. The last person to be taken was Mari's father."
Desrick bared his teeth in displeasure. "That is a disgusting tactic."
"Right you are my burly friend. Now comes the part where I reveal what I want: I had some of the brigands tracked. They're illegal slave traders. I found out they're operating out of an abandoned house in the port off the lake. The city guard won't get involved, and sending my own men would only paint a larger target on my back, endangering my staff more than myself...I need a neutral party. I need a team that won't be recognized. Find out where they're keeping the kidnapped people. And find out who they're being paid by. I'll bet my life that Evereach is playing the part. This whole things reeks of their duplicitous methods...but first, your friends can go get what they need to make that sun cure. I can imagine working in this light isn't easy for many of you."

LazyDaze LazyDaze Flutterby Flutterby mothspit mothspit Zazz Zazz Yatasal Yatasal

My spies say that House Dwerstand is having its arm twisted, Evereach has something on them and is forcing their support, I fear the house won't be able to resist much longer before it will be forced to contribute soldiers. House Brynson is waffling, not standing for or against, they're holding a massive ball in one week's time, inviting some of the highest ranking of House Evereach and Dwerstand, hoping they can appease both parties, or buy time. I'm still trying to get a hold of the guest list, but it promises to be quite the spectacle, they're sparing no expense..."
A ball... Of course... It was the perfect opportunity to establish contacts, get information, not to mention that other generals in House Evereach would be there and she could talk to them and get a secret message to them as easy as slipping a piece of paper to their aide-de-camps or servants. That way she'd actually have a game plan as opposed to just staying alive and maintaining a cover.
"You look like you have something on your mind." His tone was suddenly much more gentle, and his attention much more focused. "What's wrong?"
Quinn glanced at Pyrrhus' gentle gaze and looked back down at her plate of mostly untouched food. "I... Well, I'm not sure how much help I'll be in this little venture. Honestly, I wasn't even trained to be a fighter or anything of the sort. I'm not even sure why they sent a politics scout to a jungle war. I was just following orders, I guess. But they sent me to die, and if they wanted any other outcome they should've sent someone else. I can't go back to them, and I want to help, but I'm not trained to do anything of use to Desrick or anyone else..." Quinn's voice trailed off as she heard the exchange between Desrick, Gideon, Trileon, and a small girl who was definitely Cyndaran, though what she was exactly Quinn didn't know.
"Those silk-wearing bastards!" Gideon exclaimed. "The reconnaissance party...I knew Evereach was planning something. Why send representatives from major houses when they have qualified spies that could have gotten the information? The death of that party would help solidify Cyndara as a real threat, justify this insane war they're planning."
Gideon tracked through the rest of what Ora had said. "You say they stole a crystal? Hmm..."
"You know something?" Desrick asked, unable to keep the hope from his voice.
"Not yet." Gideon admitted. "I'll need to keep digging. That could take time. Meanwhile, you are welcome to stay here."
It was the same question Quinn had been asking herself. More to the point, why send only one? Scouts usually worked alone, it was true, but on major raids they usually sent a few to different sections and report back as a team, therefore bringing all parts of the story together in one major report. That's how political raids went, anyway. It was likely that military campaigns were different. All of Evereach's tactics in this instance spoke of hasty actions and half-thought out plans, and yet that wasn't typical of the most powerful House in Summena, not in the least bit. They had to have some other objective... One they had neglected to share with their scout.
"Right you are my burly friend. Now comes the part where I reveal what I want: I had some of the brigands tracked. They're illegal slave traders. I found out they're operating out of an abandoned house in the port off the lake. The city guard won't get involved, and sending my own men would only paint a larger target on my back, endangering my staff more than myself...I need a neutral party. I need a team that won't be recognized. Find out where they're keeping the kidnapped people. And find out who they're being paid by. I'll bet my life that Evereach is playing the part. This whole things reeks of their duplicitous methods...but first, your friends can go get what they need to make that sun cure. I can imagine working in this light isn't easy for many of you."
Quinn listened quietly, and instantly heard another opportunity. One that wouldn't get her closer to contacting Evereach, but it could solidify her "loyalty" with the group. And information gathering just happened to be her career. She glanced between Desrick and Gideon, wondering if offering her services would be too on-the-nose. Maybe she could frame it in a "eager to prove herself and her loyalty" sort of way? Maybe not... Best wait for now, let them draw their own conclusions. Unless they ignored her, and then she'd have to push her case forward. But, until that point, she'd wait.

So, it would be the scary one after all. Trileon wondered if she was still upset about that time she shot in arrow in the womans direction..

She took hold of Mari's hand, and smiled meekly at the woman called Azaria, "Thank you. We will be quick, I promise."

Just as she took a step forward, she stumbled, collapsing down onto one knee. She let out a ragged breath, and drew the cloak further into her body. Damn this heat. Damn this sun. She could walk, so long as she had someone to help her. Mari was far too small-- She just barely came up to Trileon's knee. Using the table as support, she stood, and looked around at those who saw what just happened.

"I'm fine," She reassured with a small wave. She looked around for someone to help her, and her eyes fell on Quinn, who had also been silent for most of the trip. Trileon felt slightly bad for neglecting to check up on her all this time, and with this woman Gideon recruited to aid her, it'd be nice to have someone she actually had a rapport with. She gave another small smile, and offered her hand to her, "Would you come with? Just to help me walk. It seems I need to get a little more used to this."

And because the other woman has this really intimidating aura I'm not prepared to deal with just yet.

Yatasal Yatasal Zazz Zazz SilverFlight SilverFlight

Azaria's sharp gaze shifted between Gideon, Trileon, and the troll when she was volunteered as babysitter. With a shrug, she accepted the task and listened to what sounded rather... familiar. No, it wasn't beneath Everreach's shadowy politics. Not much was. "If one was to free his captured... servants, one would have to free them in transit, before they are sold." She said it as if it was just common conversation, twirling a knife once again. But her eyes, fixed upon the estate holder, said much more.

It wasn't until Trileon stumbled and invited Jilaina along that Azaria looked away from Gideon. Her blank expression turned to a small frown, but again, she shrugged. She would have her own hands free. "No funny business, Miss Revess." She had little doubt the scout would attempt some form of communication with Lassard through these "snatchers", if given the chance.

Last edited:
Pyrrhus listened to Quinn attentively, a thoughtful smile playing on his lips. "Oh now Jilaina, if the world was nothing but fighters it would truly be a very dark place indeed. Oftentimes diversity is a team's greatest strength. Perhaps you cannot fight in a battle head on, but I've seen you move. You're quick, and I'd assume with no small amount of cunning too. Your knowledge of Sumenna, its customs and geography will be invaluable. As far as I can see, we may just rely on you yet."
Yatasal Yatasal

Marillene gripped Trileon's arm tightly as she stumbled.
"Oh dear! Are you alright?"
Trileon answered her but Mari didn't look convinced. "I'm worried about you..." but if this was the only way to help cure the heat exhaustion she suffered from and Trileon was the only one who could identify what they needed, she didn't see another option.
"I can take us through the back alleys, all in the shade. Don't you worry."
mothspit mothspit

Pyrrhus heard Trileon call Quinn over.
"Well, it appears you are needed right now! Please be careful Jilaina. Come back unharmed." Pyrrhus' voice was filled with genuine concern and he looked down at her with worry in his blue eyes. "I don't like the sound of 'snatchers'."
Yatasal Yatasal

*~*~*

The streets of the merchants quarter were large and mostly bare, from what they saw of them. Mari was true to her word and kept them along the less-traveled pathways. Behind the houses and shop fronts was a labyrinth of narrow passages, tunnels and byways and all of them were steeped in cool shade.
Despite being in dress Mari moved like a cat through the maze, pausing every now and then to let Trileon and whomever was supporting her catch up.
At length they came into the serving quarter. The streets turning from cobble to dirt, the houses from stone to wood. They emerged from a passageway that was almost too narrow and into a small open space against the city wall, dappled with shade from an old, gnarled tree. Under the tree was a carpet of thick mosses and among the moss, grew tiny flowers, all brightly coloured.
"Do you think those flowers will be enough?" Mari asked Trileon as she knelt by the flower patch and looked up.
mothspit mothspit Yatasal Yatasal Zazz Zazz

Ora's face grew quiet and dark as she considered what Gideon had said.
"None of the Houses are truly above discarding the low," Her tone was notably bitter, but she didn't offer more of a comment than that before she looked up to Gideon's sharp eyes.
"We will- or at least I and those who want to- will do what we can. Although," She paused to glance at Desrick's disgusted face, "I don't think you will need to ask twice."
The dwarf picked at the rest of her food, having lost a good bit of her appetite. She settled for taking a few long drinks of the cool water, and trying not to think about returning to Cyndara.

Marillene gripped Trileon's arm tightly as she stumbled.
"Oh dear! Are you alright?"
Trileon answered her but Mari didn't look convinced. "I'm worried about you..." but if this was the only way to help cure the heat exhaustion she suffered from and Trileon was the only one who could identify what they needed, she didn't see another option.
"I can take us through the back alleys, all in the shade. Don't you worry."
mothspit mothspit
Trileon smiled, and waved off her concerns with a glove hand, "I'm quite alright, but thank you. The shade sounds lovely."

The streets of the merchants quarter were large and mostly bare, from what they saw of them. Mari was true to her word and kept them along the less-traveled pathways. Behind the houses and shop fronts was a labyrinth of narrow passages, tunnels and byways and all of them were steeped in cool shade.
Despite being in dress Mari moved like a cat through the maze, pausing every now and then to let Trileon and whomever was supporting her catch up.
At length they came into the serving quarter. The streets turning from cobble to dirt, the houses from stone to wood. They emerged from a passageway that was almost too narrow and into a small open space against the city wall, dappled with shade from an old, gnarled tree. Under the tree was a carpet of thick mosses and among the moss, grew tiny flowers, all brightly coloured.
"Do you think those flowers will be enough?" Mari asked Trileon as she knelt by the flower patch and looked up.

Trileon hung onto the scout firmly, her arm intertwined with hers. Every so often she'd give a small glance at the woman Desrick enlisted to help them, giving nothing more than a small smile on the off chance there eyes connected. The district was truly a poor sight-- Her own home, constructed with her bare hands, looked better than these. So disheartening for a place that was meant to be a prosperous, advanced land. When they reached the aforementioned flower bed, she knelt down and pluck one from the ground, twirling it in her fingers. It was a bright, neon orange, with small purple specs on the petals. She had seen similar types of flowers from Cyndara, but they were usually more muted, pastel colors. But, if she knew anything about plants, the more colorful ones were also poisonous.

"..Possibly," She mused, pursing her lips in thought. She carefully got down on both knees and began picking them by the handfuls, "If they are poisonous to the natives of this land, perhaps they could provide the opposite effect for us.."

As she picked, stuffing bundles of flowers into the leather pouch on her hip, she turned to Jilaina with a smile, "It has been a bit since we last spoke. How is your hand?"

Zazz Zazz SilverFlight SilverFlight Yatasal Yatasal

"Oh now Jilaina, if the world was nothing but fighters it would truly be a very dark place indeed. Oftentimes diversity is a team's greatest strength. Perhaps you cannot fight in a battle head on, but I've seen you move. You're quick, and I'd assume with no small amount of cunning too. Your knowledge of Sumenna, its customs and geography will be invaluable. As far as I can see, we may just rely on you yet."
Quinn gave a little smile, and honestly--even though she was in no way troubled by her lack of talent that Desrick might need--Pyrrhus' kind words helped made her feel a bit better about the real problems that troubled her mind. He had a good heart, which meant he was easily manipulated. When this was over, she'd need to make sure she left without him seeing her in her true light. Quinn doubted it would make a difference in his mind, but at least then she wouldn't have to see the trust fade from his eyes.
"Would you come with? Just to help me walk. It seems I need to get a little more used to this."
Quinn nodded, even though she wanted to stay behind and listen to more of Ora's and Gideon's conversation. It would be good to get out into the city, walk around in the sun. She was determined to never go back to the Cyndaran night... She honestly didn't know how they could stand never feeling the sun's warmth, though she suspected they had similar feelings about the Cyndaran moon.
"No funny business, Miss Revess."
Screw you too, Az, I'm not that dumb. Quinn just shrugged and said, "Course not."
"Well, it appears you are needed right now! Please be careful Jilaina. Come back unharmed." Pyrrhus' voice was filled with genuine concern and he looked down at her with worry in his blue eyes. "I don't like the sound of 'snatchers'."
Quinn smiled at Pyrrhus. "Oh, what's the fun in being careful? We'll be fine, Pyrrhus, don't worry."
"It has been a bit since we last spoke. How is your hand?"
The streets were quieter than Quinn thought they'd be. Mari kept them in the shaded alleys, and yet Quinn took every opportunity to walk in the sun. When they eventually came upon the flowers Mari had been talking about earlier, Quinn paused and scanned the area around her. It was incredibly poor and rundown, an area that Quinn would've spent time in only to find contacts and information that only the homeless and underground populations knew about. She only did that once or twice though, because as a political scout she was far more accustomed to dealing with the servant class than she was to dealing with vagrants. She kept one hand on her hook, and picked a taller building that she could escape to if need be.
"Oh. Um, it's healing, as far as I can tell," Quinn turned her wrist over, the cast still in remarkable condition. "I haven't really had to use it yet, so I'm not sure how it's doing."

Ora watched as the flower-hunting group left, with a frown. Was it safe to let the scout out of their sight? She snuck a glance at Iolas- he was on a relatively short leash, since they were all watching him with Pyrrhus. But that Jilaina had earned the trust of a few in the group, and the rest of them had bigger fish to fry than the fairy. The dwarf just hoped Azaria would keep an eye out for anything concerning.

After a moment of consideration, Ora decided to discard what was left of her plate- not much, in all honesty, as she had scarfed down quite a bit before losing her appetite. The walk to and from the Hills had taken more energy than she cared to admit.
"Well." The first word was just to draw attention back to herself, and then she addressed Gideon. "Since I don't get over here often, I might as well do some errands." She cast a glance at the gathered group, and said, "I wouldn't mind company," Her eyes stopped on Desrick, and she frowned a bit, "From the less conspicuous lot, anyway."

Ora gathered herself, handing some things off to a servant to take to a room for her, and then straightened toward the gate. "Won't be gone long, no more than a mark or two." It seemed like a casual remark, but there was a part of her that worried about stepping into the city. It had been a long time since she had wandered Brynson, and it sounded like the streets were a more dangerous place now.

SilverFlight SilverFlight Zazz Zazz LazyDaze LazyDaze Yatasal Yatasal hwayi hwayi mothspit mothspit deer deer

Mari watched Trileon inspect the flowers with avid interest. "You know a lot about healing don't you?" When she began picking them Mari stooped to help her.
"I know every single flower that grows in the Summer Plains." She boasted happily. "I could show you if you like, my pa was writing a book all about them. I was drawing the pictures."
She paused for a moment and then put her hands behind her back, asking in a bashful tone. "Gideon says you might be able to find him...is that true?"

A faint voice drifted to them on the warm air. A vendour selling his wares.
"Fresh fruits! Fruits for sale!"
The voice drew nearer, and Mari leaned around the corner of an old house to see. "Oooh, are you hungry?" She asked her new friends, eyes bright.

Pyrrhus looked around when he heard Ora speak about going into town. He all but sprang to his hooves. "Oh! Mememe, I would be delighted to accompany you. I think its high time I got a good look at this strange yet wonderful city. I want to see everything! Do they have a library? A theater? Oh! What sort of plays do Sumennan's perform I wonder?"
"Hold on," Gideon interrupted the centaur's ramblings. "You're going to need something to wear if you plan on spending any length of time out in public."
Pyrrhus blinked. "I am?"
Gideon stroked his beard thoughtfully, then snapped his fingers as an idea came to him.
"Herald, get my fall shirt and doublet, the persimon ensemble, with the leather trim." He grinned as Pyrrhus' eyes lit up.
"I do look good in persimon." The centaur said.
When the servants were done Pyrrhus was dressed in a very fine orange shirt, with ballooned sleeves bunched at the wrists and a dark red doublet, trimmed in deerskin, with leather laces and wood toggles. To accent the outfit Pyrrhus suggested orange fabric bands about his legs, just above the hoof, also trimmed in leather. The colour of the shirt brought out the red highlights in his hair and pelt and when shown a mirror, the centaur preened shamelessly.
"I could be the attendant to a king!" He exclaimed happily, turning this way and that.
Gideon laughed, "No kings here, but the attire of a servant..or a slave, is a testament to the wealth of the master, and the worth of the wearer. You would be worth quite a bit...being what you are."
As an added measure Gideon had saddle bags prepared and tied to a leather band that went around Pyrrhus' equine middle.
"You should at least keep up the pretense that you're working." He explained, and Pyrrhus couldn't argue with it.
Once he was ready Pyrrhus was practically dancing at the gate, waiting to leave.

Flutterby Flutterby LazyDaze LazyDaze hwayi hwayi deer deer

Last edited:
It was the quiet, scary-looking halfling elf that answered the troll as she scanned the area for any signs of trouble. "There is a possibility, yes. However, it seems the orc and the dwarf are in charge of this little flock, so I suppose it is up to them what the others do." She could, of course, go on her own, but she was part of this troop for Lassard's head, and that required patience.

Ora waited patiently as others prepared, watching Pyrrhus get outfitted with a small smile. It didn't falter when Gideon made a few comments on his pretended status, mostly because Pyrrhus seemed so happy to primp. She truly hoped the centaur wouldn't draw too much attention- she was used to slinking about unnoticed.

With her small party prepared, Ora gave one last nod to those staying behind, and then gave a wave for the guards to open the gates. She passed through them without hesitation, but drew her hood up on the other side. She turned to look at Pyrrhus, and said, "I have two stops, but they're both technically in the merchant district, so technically we should be.. demure, and quick. But I can think of one extra place that's along the way that you might enjoy."
That being said, the dwarf started up the street, skirting the wall of hedges for a few streets before turning. She walked quickly, with her chin slightly tucked. Her eyes were not downcast- instead she found herself gazing at the city.
She had always found Brynson intriguing- more so than Evereach, at least. The sun threw itself against harsh stone in some places, and in others, hit brightly colored canopies before filtering through in a soft glow. Occasionally, their route took them past a storefront with stained glass in their windows, and those sent a rainbow of light onto the walls surrounding. It reminded her of symphony of color in the Cyndaran forest.

She walked briskly, for several minutes, and lead them to another area of the merchant district. As they went, the estates turned into houses, and the massive glass storefronts turned into modest stone ones. The shop that Ora eventually stopped at was so incredibly plain that it stood out, but the sign above it was freshly painted with care. "Madame Winthropp's Potion Shop" appeared to be open, and Ora giddily approached the door while she explained,
"This place sells a specific kind of shell from the lake, too low-brow for nobles to really bother with. But it is very useful in my forge."

The door opened with a poof of mint-and-honey-scented air. Bottles full of liquid, full live plants, and jars of oddities were on every shelf and table. Every surface was covered in something to sell, but everything had a place.
Ora moved directly for the sales counter, which was manned by a mousy woman whose face could only scowl. After a short exchange, Ora traded just a few silver coins for two large bags. They were filled with a dull blue, spiraled shell- most would consider it unimpressive at best. But the dwarf practically pranced out the door.
"Considering Gideon loves stuff made with these, I'm sure he'll send them over to Dwerstand for me without too much convincing." She hefted them into a less awkward position, and then nodded back the way they came. "My next stop is back that way, and there's something in between you might like, Pyrrhus."

The streets were quieter than Quinn thought they'd be. Mari kept them in the shaded alleys, and yet Quinn took every opportunity to walk in the sun. When they eventually came upon the flowers Mari had been talking about earlier, Quinn paused and scanned the area around her. It was incredibly poor and rundown, an area that Quinn would've spent time in only to find contacts and information that only the homeless and underground populations knew about. She only did that once or twice though, because as a political scout she was far more accustomed to dealing with the servant class than she was to dealing with vagrants. She kept one hand on her hook, and picked a taller building that she could escape to if need be.
"Oh. Um, it's healing, as far as I can tell," Quinn turned her wrist over, the cast still in remarkable condition. "I haven't really had to use it yet, so I'm not sure how it's doing."

Trileon nodded, "Well, if you experience any pain, please let me know. I'd be more than happy to help."

Tentatively, she looked over to the other woman in their company,
"..How about you? Have you sustained any injuries..?"

Mari watched Trileon inspect the flowers with avid interest. "You know a lot about healing don't you?" When she began picking them Mari stooped to help her.
"I know every single flower that grows in the Summer Plains." She boasted happily. "I could show you if you like, my pa was writing a book all about them. I was drawing the pictures."
She paused for a moment and then put her hands behind her back, asking in a bashful tone. "Gideon says you might be able to find him...is that true?"

A faint voice drifted to them on the warm air. A vendour selling his wares.
"Fresh fruits! Fruits for sale!"
The voice drew nearer, and Mari leaned around the corner of an old house to see. "Oooh, are you hungry?" She asked her new friends, eyes bright.

Trileon smiled, "I do! This is my life's work." She listened intently, and gave a playful laugh at the mention of the little one's extensive knowledge, "Well then, I'd very very much like to see it! I'm sure your pictures are beautiful."

When she got up to look at the fruit stand, Trileon craned her neck to get a better look. She had ate a little bit of Gideon's food, but with this sun and it's heat, it didn't take much to drain her of that energy.

"A bit, but let me come with you, yes? Remember what Gideon said," She frowned and, after collecting a decent bundle of flowers, she slowly stood to wobbly feet.

SilverFlight SilverFlight Zazz Zazz Yatasal Yatasal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back