• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Setting Summer Dawn

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
“Hmm, I suppose I get to live another day,” Iolas said in response to his appraisal. He knew his intentions were good; however, he never liked having his fate dangling in someone else’s hands. Moreover, he did not care for looking in the proverbial mirror, for the appraisal was accurate, too accurate. Some accepted it, begrudgingly, some were relieved, and some still seemed to be uncomfortable with him around although he could not tell if that was due to his heritage or his personality. Iolas could see that even after the words of a goddess it would be difficult to assimilate into the group. When they all entered the house, it took every ounce of strength to keep from laughing at the absurdity of the situation. He did not know this many people were in the area. Some looked like capable warriors. There were even a few Sumennans there. He wondered what could have occurred to bring all of these people together. Since he did not know everyone, he thought it best to let them do all the talking and establish himself later. He knew that in large groups ranks were always given whether it was a conscious, or unconscious decision. When others entered that dynamic, some could become quite threatened.

Iolas listened to Desrick's explaination of the events that had happened prior to his arrival. He nearly lost his calm demeanor at the mention of the Sumennans that were to be sacrificed for a mere political gain. It almost made him vomit when his mind drifted back to how obediant he used to be to such people. It did not surprise him that Everreach was as dangerous as ever. Had Iolas never failed his mission, he might have been on the other end helping Lassard.

In all honesty, Iolas would rather handle the entire matter himself. He felt world peace was his burden, and he did not want others getting hurt on his behalf; nevertheless, after only brief interactions, he could tell these people were not normal, and that they would scoff at the normal thing to do. Then came the crucial matter at hand, how to get in. Iolas looked around, particularly at Pyrrhus since he was the largest thing there. “You all sure had me fooled, I thought he was my long-lost brother,” he said straight faced and flat as he made a gesture toward Pyrrhus. (One might wonder if he was actually serious.) He then looked around the room once more as he attempted to memorize their faces and observe their expressions. Iolas then raised his hand although he had already began to speak. “I am Iolas, it is a pleasure to finally meet all of you. Forgive me if I am out of place, but I would like to comment on the matter at hand. I only have three things to say on the matter. Firstly, If the lovely lady here possesses a way to get us to Brynson, I do not think we can do much better than that. It is a good place to start and I believe we should plan on what to do afterward.” Iolas moved his gaze toward Ora as if acknowledging her usefulness. He then turned his attention once again to everyone gathered in the house. “Second, I would like to comment on my own usefulness. Many things may have changed since the last time I was in a Sumennan city; however, I am sure I could pull some strings once I gather some more info in Brynson. Lastly, if it comes down to it, there might be a way to sneak in some of the more obvious Cyndarans as a last resort. We can either take you prisoner, or kill you. I actually prefer the latter.” Iolas said the last part cheerfully and then remembered he forgot to clarify his thoughts. It was always difficult for Iolas to explain himself when assuming others arrived at the same conclusion after a similar train of thought. “I do not think it would be strange, given the apparent violence growing between the countries, that prisoners and trophies would be making their way to Sumenna, especially in Sumenna. I can practically hear them bragging about their exploits now. In their eyes, you might as well be mindless, unintelligent beasts. Hiding in plain sight, cloaked by their own arrogance is not such a bad idea. If some of the Sumennans in our party lead the group when crossing the cities, I believe we can make it through. Hopefully there are better options, like illusion magic for instance ," he said as he made a gesture toward Valac Mythee Mythee , referring to his previous statement about learning such arts, "but I am hard pressed to find ways to make you unseen under the light of Summerbrynde’s eye.” Iolas moved back a bit trying to become invisible again after he spoke. He was not totally sure if they would care what he had to say, all he could do was offer his brain and sword. “That is all I can say for now, feel free to use me as much as you like.”

Iolas bowed with a smile as he intentionally made them sound like the bad guys; however, he was serious. He was aware of his previous status as an elite soldier, and a terrifying legend. He was unsure where he fell in this spectrum and how relevant his past life would be in the present. He was not even totally sure if his former allies considered him as a fellow brother in arms. However, if they did hold the same respect for him as they did back then, he could utilize his influence and stir up trouble in his homeland. Whatever the case, it seemed he would finally have to revive, Iolas.

Last edited:
Lohrithe shook his head in response to Falsedge's hopeful comment. "I was trained by orcs in the way of fighting. But my people are formidable in their own ways. Miners and carvers, they are strong and detailed. And our mages, I am sure, could be of some help." He looked to Desrick as he added, "We may not thrive under a crystal, but our stones give off enough light when put together."

The male drow glanced at Han, the other drow. She did not have eyes like him; she was only a halfling. He wondered where she had come from, what region of Cyndara. Most drow were not found beyond their settlements underground.

Azaria cleared her throat at Falsedge's complete shutdown of the scout's idea. "Perhaps we should not rule out the snitch's idea. Besides, she could always go with a shadow." The halfling elf ran a finger along the dull blade of a throwing knife, examining its sharp tip.

Han shook her head lightly as the centaur apologized. "I'm in no means angry at your plans. Just...surprised that someone would ever be able to do something so horrifying. Trading lives for a crystal, no matter how powerful." she understood the motive behind the killings, but it was still a mystery for her. How was someone capable of doing something like that without hating themselves? She shook her head once again as she leaned back against the wall, muttering something under her breath.

SilverFlight SilverFlight

Han would keep her eyes hidden, but you could see the corners of her mouth turning upwards at the smart remark that one of the group members did. It perhaps was a tiny attack at her alleged priesthood, but she wouldn't poison their relationship before even knowing the name of this warrior. Cyndabrynde was forgiving, so should she be. She would not try and actively poison any relationships just yet, not before they were actually formed. This person was right anyway. She wasn't even a legitimate link between Cyndabrynde and this world. She was weak and corrupted, the complete opposite of the head priestess.

"Well whaddya know, the head priestess is capable of doing these even on her own," she answered with a nod, her voice calm but strong enough to make herself heard. "Impressive, don't you think? The amount of wisdom Cyndabrynde must have blessed her with." Han turned it into a twisted, tangled compliment as she shrugged very lightly to make the remark less aggressive. She seemed very nonchalant suddenly as if she had dropped her anger, sadness, and shock in the span of seconds. She figured that wallowing in those emotions would never produce anything she needed for now. They were vicious and only fed the damned inside. She couldn't allow that to happen. Control was important, once you lost it, you lost the game against them too.

Mythee Mythee

She listened to the crude jokes of Iolas and her smile froze. She did not take the jokes very well. She was back to being boring, pure ice. She had no idea how to contribute to at all either. She was still unaware of what abilities these folks possessed. There was little she could do with this information. Han felt like she was looking at a chess board without knowing how the pieces work. She already had some types of first impressions in her mind about most of the group members. Not all of them were so nice and she would try her hardest to get rid of those expectations. First impressions were often very wrong, you'd have to dig deeper to get something out of a person. Sometimes this process took years, a few minutes with this group was not enough to draw any assumptions from.

She undid her crossed arms and started nervously tapping the guard of her sole sword. She had made the mistake to look at Lohrithe for a bit too long when he mentioned 'his people'. Han felt that they were somewhat same, even if they possessed completely different looks and perhaps abilities. She assumed that they might have been the same race, she just had been peppered by small amounts of foreign blood and came from another place in this land. Her eyes didn't linger for much longer, as she lowered her gaze politely and hid behind her hat.

LazyDaze LazyDaze Zazz Zazz

Desrick looked grimly at Trileon, the news he had to share making his tongue feel like lead. "Very few survivors...I am sorry."
He rumbled in agreement as Trileon and Azaria offered their points of view.
"No, I doubt we will be able to just walk into Sumenna. We will need help."
Lohr mentioned reaching out to his people and Desrick couldn't hide the mild look of alarm on his face. He was afraid Lohr would ask to go in person, and leave the group...and him behind. "We can send them a bird. Perhaps they would help Delan and the beastman settlement that was attacked, but as for getting into Sumenna, I want as few people to know about this as possible...for now."
Zazz Zazz mothspit mothspit

Desrick listened intently when Ora spoke. He wasn't familiar with Sumennan geography, but Brynson sounded like a major city, and likely one of the first places to start looking for clues.
Song was next to put her voice into the debate and Desrick gave her room to speak.
"I want to hear these suggestions, from both of you, but Brynson, if its the closest large city, sound slike our best hope for a good start."
Flutterby Flutterby Nevina Nevina

When the Sumenna scout spoke, and was countered by Falsedge Desrick nodded at the Djinn. "So far, most of you have been appraised, I'm please to say nobody's tried to stab me yet. But for once, I agree with you Falsedge. I don't like the idea of an ex-Sumennan scout who knows about us and our precise location running about in the midst of our enemies."
Azaria offered a tactful solution. "I'm not sure another Sumennan going along is better." Desrick said skeptically. Pyrrhus may trust this halfling, but Desrick did not. "For now, nobody's splitting from the group. You can prove yourselves by following that order. Getting to Lassard will be challenging, but I have a feeling that's a long way off."
Yatasal Yatasal Mythee Mythee Zazz Zazz

Pyrrhus watched Iolas carefully as he carved. The elf had the bearing of a leader, and he wasn't the only one who recognized it. He made the jab about being the centaur's brother and Pyrrhus leaned over to Azaria and said in a low voice: "Goddess I hope not." He was grinning like a schoolboy.

Desrick considered the elf's words. "Hmm, that's not a bad idea." He chewed his lip thoughtfully. "It would likely have to be myself, Pyrrhus, Valac...perhaps Trileon too. I think the rest could pass. What do you think?" Here he directed the question towards the Sumennans in the room.
LazyDaze LazyDaze Zazz Zazz Flutterby Flutterby Nevina Nevina Mythee Mythee

“I am Iolas, it is a pleasure to finally meet all of you.
Quinn's eyes widened as pieces of knowledge fell into place. Iolas? Not Iolas Orixalim, the ex-assassin of Evereach? She had heard so many tales of him, so much so that he couldn't possibly be real. And yet, his demeanor, his weapons, his race... His being here in Cyndara, it all made sense. What could this possibly mean, his being here of all places?

As he continued to speak, his ideas made sense. Certainly Summenan pride wasn't something small, and neither was Summenan arrogance. Quinn had used both multiple times to achieve her goals. All for the pride and arrogance of House Evereach.

"Perhaps we should not rule out the snitch's idea. Besides, she could always go with a shadow."
Quinn agreed with the strange assassin. If she was to do this, the Cyndarans would need some form of insurance. Azaria seemed to know who Quinn was, though Quinn didn't know Azaria. Evereach employed many assassins, but since Azaria had been working with the Cyndarans, Quinn guessed that she wasn't one of theirs.
When the Sumenna scout spoke, and was countered by Falsedge Desrick nodded at the Djinn. "So far, most of you have been appraised, I'm please to say nobody's tried to stab me yet. But for once, I agree with you Falsedge. I don't like the idea of an ex-Sumennan scout who knows about us and our precise location running about in the midst of our enemies."
Azaria offered a tactful solution. "I'm not sure another Sumennan going along is better." Desrick said skeptically. Pyrrhus may trust this halfling, but Desrick did not. "For now, nobody's splitting from the group. You can prove yourselves by following that order. Getting to Lassard will be challenging, but I have a feeling that's a long way off."
Quinn frowned. She'd go with Desrick's lead, of course, and "proving" herself would take time and a lot of calculated decisions. For now, it would be easy. But once they reached Lassard's army, it would become infinitely more dangerous. That, and she'd have to point out that knowing their location was nothing. Lassard would descend upon them and they'd have to kill all of them right then and there in order for the information to count for something. If they took prisoners, Quinn's information became mute. They could escape and then Quinn would lose their trust. The same went for Lassard, that if she revealed Lassard's plans she'd reveal herself to him and he wouldn't trust her and likely have her executed on the spot. No, this called for a more delicate reveal and gathering of information. And that was if she could explain such a concept to Cyndarans, who preferred much simpler ways of life.

"I agree, I wouldn't trust us either," Quinn said to Desrick. "I don't understand your goddess or her appraisals, but I do understand their importance. I hope I can prove myself, but if I don't, scouts die all the time. It wouldn't make a difference to Lassard or Evereach really if I live or die."

Quinn silenced thoughts of her sisters back home, of her nieces and nephews. She remembered that last night, the night before she left. Her oldest sister came to wish her off, telling her to be home soon... Quinn kept eye contact with Desrick, hoping that she had enough sincerity in her eyes. It did matter to them if she lived or died. But there was no way Quinn would reveal that.

When the fairy spoke next, Ora's face grew quiet. She had been here since the battle, had been healed by their people, had been mucking about the town. She had been appraised by the goddess, and found indecisive but possibly helpful. The dwarf wasn't convinced about that second part, but she didn't have to say so- Falsedge spoke right up, and Ora gave her a small, grateful nod.
Yatasal Yatasal Mythee Mythee
She found herself irritated that the new Sumennans, frankly, talked so much. Iolas gave quite the speech, and even though he admitted it had been a long time since being in a Sumennan power center, he seemed to insist that he was useful and powerful. From where she was sitting, he seemed to think himself mighty important for someone that she had never heard of, and who Falsedge had taken to treating like a nutcase.
She took a breath, about to speak again, but found Azaria already speaking, followed shortly by Desrick. Ora nodded quietly to Desrick's assertion that no one would be splitting from the group, and that any encounter with Lassard was likely a ways off.
LazyDaze LazyDaze Zazz Zazz SilverFlight SilverFlight
The fairy replied to Desrick, and Ora slowly brought her eyes up to look at her.
"It might not matter to Evereach if you live or die, but surely it matters to you. Crossing Lassard would be a guaranteed death sentence when they caught you. I'd sooner turn the Mounts upside down, than assume you won't act in self-preservation before anything else." Her tone was dry, edging toward weariness- if Pyrrhus hadn't become so attached to her, if it wouldn't have soured relations with the Cyndarans, Ora would've asked some orcs to cart her to the border days ago.
Yatasal Yatasal
She removed her eyes from Quinn's face, and looked over at Desrick to answer his question. "Near the border, far enough outside the cities.. I think Trileon could pass.. maybe even the other two. Far out, most of them will pass, if we're subtle.. and you wear shirts." The Cyndaran men all got a look.
"You," She gave Desrick an up-and-down look. "You won't pass, no matter where we are."
"We could try to disguise you, but I don't think it will work. Iolas's idea-" This time she spared him a glance, "I would like to save until later.. with only one army invading Cyndara so far, and doing so secretly, I worry parading them around would draw too much attention in Brynson."
She paused, considering something, and then continued.
"There's a trading outpost near the edge of the Half-Sun Hills. Its.. outside of Evereach's gaze, usually, and I think most of you would be.. not too out of place. It was my last stop, before crossing. I left my pony with a runner there. If we can get that far, that runner can get a message to my man in Brynson."
The dwarf hesitated, and then added simply, "He's a trader, can get us inside Brynson without being noticed, and can house us all easily. Evereach are not friends of his, for good reason, so I think he would do it on principle. Or, at least, in exchange for more of my work, which I owe him anyway. I think that is our best option- we need to get somewhere with resources, without alerting Evereach, and without drawing attention to ourselves."
SilverFlight SilverFlight Zazz Zazz mothspit mothspit hwayi hwayi Yatasal Yatasal Nevina Nevina Mythee Mythee

"It might not matter to Evereach if you live or die, but surely it matters to you. Crossing Lassard would be a guaranteed death sentence when they caught you. I'd sooner turn the Mounts upside down, than assume you won't act in self-preservation before anything else."
Quinn nodded. Yeah, self-preservation would definitely be her first goal. It was silly to think otherwise. "You'd be right. Doesn't mean you couldn't use me."

They'll never trust me. Oh well. As soon as I reach Lassard, they're going down. No way can they win this fight. All they can hope for is a quick death.

It had went better than he had originally thought. He was impressed by Desrick's will, as well as others', to protect their people even if it meant listening to someone who shared the blood of the enemy. He expected at least one person to cut him off, shout expletives, and have his ideas shot down even if they were practical. It just illuminated how dire the situation was. He picked up on some of the other underlying issues surrounding the party which seemed to center around Quinn at the moment. She had now caught Iolas's attention. He covered his mouth to keep from chuckling too loud as he looked at Quinn. It was amusing to see another Sumennan leaping over the hurdles of distrust he was once embracing, although that was probably ill advised. She was even called a snitch of all things. It was almost amusing enough to make Iolas drop his guard, almost. He did not know the dynamic of her situation, but she seemed to be between a rock, and a hard place. Did I fail to mention the meteor that would come to end it all in case she somehow escaped. It was a bit unnerving for someone that seemed to have the potential of a vibrant life ahead of her accept death so easily, but this was not the place for him to lecture anyone. He simply sighed in a disapproving manner as he mentally disagreed with her even if that made him a hypocrite. He still felt as if he was forgetting something important, or maybe he simply deemed it unnecessary at the moment. He shrugged his shoulders to rid himself of any troublesome thoughts.
Yatasal Yatasal

"Wellllll," Iolas hummed innocently as he looked up at the ceiling. "The worse that can happen is we all die. In fact, death is preferable to a lot of things...torture, hunger, isolation, stubbing your toe..." Iolas visibly shuddered at the thought of the last one and then continued to gaze at everyone in the room, particularly Desrick and Ora. "I expect we can overcome the worse," He said with a genuine smile.

SilverFlight SilverFlight Flutterby Flutterby

Desrick looked grimly at Trileon, the news he had to share making his tongue feel like lead. "Very few survivors...I am sorry."
Trileon's posture relaxed slightly, but her face was still one of a deep sadness. So there were some survivors after all. It still hurt her to hear. She merely offered a small nod and moment of silence. Why the elves were so persistent to push this cruelty further was beyond her.

Quinn nodded. Yeah, self-preservation would definitely be her first goal. It was silly to think otherwise. "You'd be right. Doesn't mean you couldn't use me."

There were several snide comments being thrown the scouts way left and right. Everyone was well within their right not to trust Everreach, much less anyone previously employed by them. But as far as the forest woman was concerned, she had more than proved her loyalty to the group. And even if Trileon couldn't fully trust her either, much less anyone else from Sumenna, this cruelty was unecessary. She frowned, sharing a look of disdain with those berating Quinn.

"Forgive me. But if she was going to betray us, she would have done it when Delan was burning. Yet she was at my side, helping put a stop to it."

She spoke with her hands fervently, moving to stand at the woman's side in solidarity. Trileon would be the first to admit she had biases towards anyone from Sumenna, but at the same time she was one of them-- Albeit only by the technicality of her birth. She knew what it was like to be shunned and mistrusted because of who she was. She wouldn't allow this kind of talk, even if it might be justified in the end.

"She could have just as easily ran, or even retreat with the rest of Everreach. Hasn't there been enough unpleasantness lately?"

Trileon shared a small look with the assassin. If the two of them were left to their own devices, it would be nothing but cats and dogs at each others throats.

"I will travel with you. To keep the peace."

She removed her eyes from Quinn's face, and looked over at Desrick to answer his question. "Near the border, far enough outside the cities.. I think Trileon could pass.. maybe even the other two. Far out, most of them will pass, if we're subtle.. and you wear shirts." The Cyndaran men all got a look.
"You," She gave Desrick an up-and-down look. "You won't pass, no matter where we are."
A disguise. If need be, she could transform different points of her body, but it was unclear how useful that could be. If large horns and blue skin was a dead giveaway, then surely so were dragon talons or a giant beak. It looked like a cloak or large covering would have to do.

SilverFlight SilverFlight Yatasal Yatasal Flutterby Flutterby Zazz Zazz

"I agree with Trileon." Pyrrhus spoke up defensively. "And if we are going to be wary of Jilaina then I will also volunteer to stay close to her."
And protect her from more scorn, was the unspoken part of that. Pyrrhus didn't rise, there was little enough room in the house as it was with all of them, but he made sure to voice himself loudly from his place against the wall.

"Good." Desrick grunted. "Then you two can watch Iolas as well." He have the high elf a pointed look that told him he was to stay with either Trileon or the centaur when the group was not together.

Ora spoke then, putting forth her suggestion, and explaining what sort of appearances were more or less acceptable in the different parts of Sumenna. Upon the mention of shirts Pyrrhus sighed in resignation. "If I must."
"I think you're right Ora," Desrick began, "'Prisoners from Cyndara' might alert Evereach, we can't let them learn of what we're doing. We'll use your trader. Can you get word to him from the half sun hills?"
LazyDaze LazyDaze Zazz Zazz Flutterby Flutterby Nevina Nevina Mythee Mythee Yatasal Yatasal mothspit mothspit hwayi hwayi

Pyrrhus watched Iolas carefully as he carved. The elf had the bearing of a leader, and he wasn't the only one who recognized it. He made the jab about being the centaur's brother and Pyrrhus leaned over to Azaria and said in a low voice: "Goddess I hope not." He was grinning like a schoolboy.

Azaria snorted at the centaur's comment, betraying a smirk. To Pyrrhus, she whispered back, "Don't worry. He hasn't nearly your charm."

The halfling's brow furrowed, then, as she remembered something. "I... have a way to get Pyrrhus in without question, but... Pyrrhus, you won't like it. I don't like it." She looked at him with sorrow and sighed heavily. "Everreach's upper class has taken to... enslaving centaurs." She spoke slowly, watching him closely for any signs of a reaction. "You don't have to, but... it would be safest. If you look like you are free, there is more gold in your capture and sale, whereas... if it appears you are in the service of someone..." Azaria hated the idea, but she pulled out what appeared to be a pair off cuffs, each for a wrist. Each had a metal loop attached to its leather, unbreakable by way of magic. Golden thread marked the leather with a name of some noble, somewhere, who had owned the creature last imprisoned by them. "I could remove the name and replace it with another. Mine, probably, because unlike your goddess I trust none of you." Azaria placed her hand over Pyrrhus's gently, meeting his gaze. "If you wish."

Last edited:
Pyrrhus' smile faded as Azaria began speaking. Her tone and body language was enough to tell him what she was proposing was serious.
"What do you mean 'enslaved'?" He looked down at the cuffs and it was clear at that moment, that Pyrrhus, like many Cyndarans, had no concept of slavery.
Zazz Zazz @ Anyone who feels like that want to answer that question

Azaria sighed. He was so naive. They were all so naive. These Cyndarans were about to enter a completely foreign, violent, malevolent new world. She looked to Khudalch Ir, then Ünentove, and finally at Ora. These Sumennans were... better than most, from what she had gathered thus far. Quinn and the elven ex-soldier, on the other hand, were pages of sketchy. How was she to explain that some folks - a lot of folks - in Summerbrynde's realm were not truly free?

She sighed again and rubbed her temple before answering. "Sometimes... people with... well, money, people with more say than others, keep other people to serve them. Kind of like being hired to do a job, except, you aren't hired, you are forced to work for these people. A slave is a person... owned by another person."

Trileon eyes widened. No wonder they saw Cyndarans as savages-- they were forcefully keeping them around as pets. She had a good idea what slavery was like; Growing up, she was told her mother was kept as a slave, too. At least, up until she ran away with Trileons father. The concept was foreign to her, but she understood what it meant nonetheless.

"You ask him to degrade himself like this?" She asked, shocked. No matter how important it might be to get into Sumenna, was it really worth sacrificing one's own dignity?

"There is surely another way. Maybe some sort of magic to disguise himself.."

She trailed off, unsure of what other solutions there might be. As much as she didn't want to admit it, posing as a slave might be the only real option for someone like Pyrrhus.

She sighed with a shake of her head, pinching the bridge of her nose. This was getting more infuriating by the minute.

Zazz Zazz SilverFlight SilverFlight

Iolas held his hands up innocently at the notion that he would have to be watched. If he had a choice of who to was to be his prison guard, he would definitely prefer the wise centaur who brimmed with so much understanding that it might actually be dangerous. He did not have any conversations with Trielon, so he was unsure of how well she got along with high elves. At this point it was best to assume most people were not fond of him to say the least. When the conversation delved into slavery, Iolas contrastingly chuckled as he raised an eyebrow at the idea of enslaving Pyrrhus, as well as the lack of trust she possessed. Smart girl, but jumping at shadows will only blind you from the real threats. "Pyrrhus," Iolas said playfully as if he was appalled at the sight of the handcuffs. "I envy you, I have been wanting to try that for some time myself. I do hope she has spares," He said as he held as arms out as if he was going to be handcuffed next. He quickly placed his hands to his sides after he realized someone here might actually do it.

Azaria had put it nicely. Although he was not entirely sure he ever saw an enslaved centaur, he had heard rumors, and he had seen slavery first hand. It was not all that uncommon. Money, beauty, power, all were reason enough to feel entitled to enslave someone. Some slave owners were nicer than others. Even a statement such as that would make Iolas's stomach churn; if he had not already been desensitized to it. He had seen many slaves during his time in Everreach. With the knowledge he has now, it was a wonder how he was ever able to stay in the same room during the now questionable practices of Everreach. Iolas briefly, but visibly shuddered when he thought back to a time when he took part in this practice, even though it was during a time where he was young. He covered it up with a smile, like always and then looked to Azaria. "I do believe you are forgetting some details," Iolas began with a gentle, and playful tone. "If you are a slave," Iolas continued as he shifted his gaze to Pyrrhus, "your social status amounts to no more than a rug underneath a table serving its purpose. You are property, and your only right is to serve your master. If they have really begun enslaving Cyndarans, then the treatment is probably even worse since they do not actually acknowledge you as people," as he finished his smile faded away as he pondered how it would feel to suddenly be thrust into such a situation. "And if you are a master," he started up again as his smile had returned, "It is your responsibility to make sure he remembers that he is to serve. That you own, and control him. Will you be able to cast away the compassion from your eyes, for even an instant? I do hope we can trust you to be heartless." This time Iolas was the one who did not trust the other. In this instance being a master was just as dangerous. Would she be prepared for the looks, the harmless passing conversations between Sumennan slave owners, people attempting to buy Pyrrhus from her? If he made a mistake in public, could she punish him? Could she treat Pyrrhus like a Cyndaran slave, or would she break? Could Pyrrhus lay down his pride to be subject to the torment. Could he be a Cyndaran slave? They would both have to play their part perfectly. It might be even harder on Azaria. Iolas realized being so blunt might send many of the Cyndarans present into shock; however, he would rather they have the culture shock here, rather than in the middle of Everreach.

SilverFlight SilverFlight Zazz Zazz

"There might be an alternative, but Pyrrhus would to endure until Brynson at the very least," Iolas said trying not to mirror the anguish she displayed for her friend. Iolas would rather he not have to do such a thing. He would rather not get their hopes up as he was unsure of many things. Stating something unnecessary would just prove more trouble than its worth.

mothspit mothspit

Ora didn't look surprised at Quinn's response. But, to her, given the context, it was as good as the 'ex'-scout saying 'Why, yes, I will go spilling everything I know to Lassard as soon as I am given the chance.' And, it did mean Ora couldn't use her. The corner of the half-dwarf's mouth twitched downward, as she silently resolved to avoid Quinn beyond keeping an eye on her.
Yatasal Yatasal
Ora found Iolas's comment.. not amusing. She disagreed- dying now, with Evereach's motives still unknown but power growing, before going home to tell what she had learned, before using her new-found talent within the borders of Sumenna- that seemed much worse than anything she had considered before. This, too, she let go without comment.
LazyDaze LazyDaze
Ora gave Trileon a glance, a flash of confusion in her eyes. I hope you're ready to protect the rest of us- the rest of Cyndara- if it comes down to it.
But the dwarf gave a small nod. It would seem that trusting Quinn was a moot point. Those that did, had resolved she would come and would not budge. Arguing the point further wouldn't serve the rest of them any more.
Pyrrhus got the same glance, and a small frown, but still, Ora didn't say anything.
mothspit mothspit
In the hesitation before answering Desrick, Ora heard Azaria's voice. The dwarf swallowed softly, and lowered her chin. When Azaria looked at her before explaining, the shame on her face was clear as day. The dwarf looked like she might cry, or be sick. She hadn't considered that Cyndarans wouldn't know slavery of any kind, and that made it even worse. The thought of a certain race in Dwerstand crossed her mind, and she looked as though she had been slapped.
She glanced at Trileon, and said softly, "Azaria is right, in that someone may try to capture and enslave him in earnest if he is doesn't appear to be in service. I don't think any of us have the magic strong enough to disguise him enough."
mothspit mothspit
Iolas made a good point, she had to admit, as she looked at Azaria and Pyrrhus sitting next to one another. Even so, the way he smiled as he said it, the way he chuckled at the sight of the cuffs, made her skin crawl. Her tone was edging toward harshness when she said, "It should be up to Pyrrhus, who plays the part. If he trusts Azaria with it- then so be it. It's cruel enough to ask it at all. The least we can do is allow him the right to choose." There was a pause, and then she said, "And if we paint Azaria's hold on him as temporary- if she's his captor and is bringing him into Brynson to be sold- then the cruelty can be kept to a minimum. No one buys damaged goods, so even slaves are treated better before auction."
LazyDaze LazyDaze
There was a bitter, bitter taste in her mouth. But on that note, Ora half-turned her face to Desrick and answered his last question. "The outpost is only a few marks walk from the Hills. I could go ahead, send the runner, find a safe place for us to stay, and then come back for you all. I hesitate to separate us at all, but I think that would be best."

Last edited:
"'Owned'?" Pyrrhus repeated, brows knitting as he processed the concept. "Owned, like a necklace or a broom?"
Desrick shifted uncomfortably. His people had a concept of this. Prisoners taken after battles, those not given honourable deaths were sometimes kept and forced to work, but the practice was abhorrent, even to orcs like Uxul. Death was always the mercy. He watched with a grim expression as the look of disgust and shock appeared on the centaur's face.
At length Pyrrhus understood, and, he understood what he was being asked to do.
He gave Trileon a grateful expression for speaking out for him so strongly, but as Iolas elaborated, a weight grew in the pit of his stomach. What had to be done became clear.
"You'll need healers." He said finally, speaking slowly, still reeling from the harsh reality he had just been dealt. "You'll need me."
Pyrrhus' eyes fell on the cuffs, just strips of leather, but the symbol behind them held such a dark meaning. They looked very different now than they had a moment ago. He took them gently before getting to his feet. He cast a kind look on Azaria, he couldn't ask this of her.
"The person who plays this part must be completely indifferent, must think of me as something no more or less valuable than an animal?"
He traversed the room slowly, the sound of his hooves steady and loud in the silence.
He stopped at Iolas, and towered above him in the small room.
"You have experience, don't you?" His tone had lost its light and flirtatious lilt. Instead it was cold and brimming with...Disappointment? Hurt?
He took one moment to look at Iolas again, really look at him, before taking a steady breath and holding the cuffs out.
"I-it will be an act. Like a play. Well, I do like plays, and I can act. Besides," A small portion of the playfulness returned to his voice, though it was a mask for darker feelings.
"You're really the only one here who looks like he could afford me."

Desrick's expression remained grim. "So be it." He clearly wasn't happy, but it was also clear that until they got a footing in Sumenna, made allies, they would have to play it absolutely safe.
"You have one day to prepare. We'll travel to the half sun hills and wait for Ora to bring word from her contact. Iolas, I want you to instruct Pyrrhus on how to behave, but goddess help me, if you mistreat him in any way, I will kill you myself."
He gestured to the door, letting all in the room know they were free to go.
LazyDaze LazyDaze Zazz Zazz Flutterby Flutterby Nevina Nevina Mythee Mythee Yatasal Yatasal mothspit mothspit hwayi hwayi

"Wait, Ora." Crispin's voice broke through the bustle awkwardly. He came to a stop before her, the messenger bird that had brought Burgren into the battle for Delan perched casually on his arm. He offered it a hand and the animal stepped onto it obediently, and then, Crispin offered the bird to her.
"If you should ever need to contact us, here in Delan. I'd give it to Desrick but he's awful with birds...you've got a much gentler hand. You just say what you want, and tell it the name of who you want it to fly too. The band around its leg is enchanted with a locator spell, so it'll always find the person you want...just...do me a favour and..be careful will you?..and watch out for my stupid brother."
@flutter

~*~*~

Act 2: The Daybreak Plot

The journey to the half sun hills was quiet. With Desrick in the lead they avoided many of the forest's deadly pitfalls. Even the mists that protected the Cyndaran border showed fewer horrors than they did normally. To those who has passed through them before, the mirages were easy to ignore. For Pyrrhus however, even with the warnings, the ghosts that conjured from his mind left him quiet and sullen.
However bad the mists were though, their memory paled as a golden light began to seep up from the horizon, painting the tall grasses red, then orange and then bright gold. The skies were sliced by thin clouds, soaking up the pale pinks and oranges of twilight.
Pyrrhus and Desrick both took in the sight with their mouths agape.
"It's beautiful." Pyrrhus whispered, absolutely captivated by what he beheld. "You can see for absolute miles!"

Desrick ordered camp to be made and a fire started. They had brought plenty of provisions to save looking for game in dangerous territory. It was time to rest then, and wait for Ora, who had struck out once they arrived, to return with their means of getting into the city of Brynson.
The campsite was a flat, circle of land set into a hillside, covered in sweet-smelling grass and dotted with wild flowers and the occasional tree. The view looked out over the gentle, sloped landscape, which opened up into flat, sprawling plains in the distance.
sunset hillside.jpg

~*~*~

Desrick decided to take a watch, and stood a little ways away from the camp, on the top of the hill, looking out over the gold-drenched, rolling land.

Pyrrhus had busied himself tuning his instrument. He lay in the soft grass, fussing over the keys while his tail twitched visibly beside him. Scattered notes dotted the silence, muted compared to his usual, bold playing. He didn't want to attract attention here. To people who had come to know him it was an obvious sign of agitation. He was nervous about what they were going to face.

((Mythee, Nevina, this'll be the last post you're tagged in unless you say otherwise, until you come back.))

Last edited:
"Forgive me. But if she was going to betray us, she would have done it when Delan was burning. Yet she was at my side, helping put a stop to it. She could have just as easily ran, or even retreat with the rest of Everreach. Hasn't there been enough unpleasantness lately? I will travel with you. To keep the peace."[/QUOTE]
Quinn's mouth dropped open in surprise to Trileon. She didn't think she'd convinced anyone to trust her, let alone defend her. It was a strange feeling, knowing full well that Ora was right; she was going to betray them all, as soon as she could. And yet Trileon and Pyrrhus speaking up for her, like they had all been friends for years and not days, it almost brought up a confession of what she actually planned to do. But Quinn bit the words down, and gently touched Trileon's arm with a small smile of gratitude. In the beastwoman's eyes, she could see that Trileon meant every word of her testimony in Quinn's defense.
"Good." Desrick grunted. "Then you two can watch Iolas as well.
Quinn paused as Desrick mentioned that Iolas would be a part of their little group of Mistrusted Summenans. Of course, it made sense. But Quinn was hesitant to be anywhere near Iolas, even if he lived up to only half the tales she had heard about him.
The conversation drifted away from her and focused on disguising Pyrrhus. The idea of slaving Pyrrhus or appearing to slave him was suggested, and at this Quinn folded her arms. Her family had never been wealthy enough to keep centaurs, but they had had some deep gnomes as slaves. She hadn't even thought of them in coming here. It was something every family wealthy enough in Summena did; the type of slave you could afford displayed how wealthy you were. Quinn had known exactly one family in the city she was from that could afford centaurs, and they could only afford one. Evereach House, of course, had plenty of slaves, and could afford almost any kind. It had been a wonder to see, before Quinn had met Pyrrhus.

"So be it." He clearly wasn't happy, but it was also clear that until they got a footing in Sumenna, made allies, they would have to play it absolutely safe.
"You have one day to prepare. We'll travel to the half sun hills and wait for Ora to bring word from her contact. Iolas, I want you to instruct Pyrrhus on how to behave, but goddess help me, if you mistreat him in any way, I will kill you myself."
Quinn glanced at Pyrrhus, whose normally jolly face had turned sour. She then looked at Iolas, and the same words of warning echoed in her eyes. She hadn't known Pyrrhus very long, but she too would aid in Iolas' death if he chose to harm Pyrrhus. She took a deep breath, and glanced around the room as they all shuffled out of the small house. It was going to be a long journey, and Quinn was going to be so glad when it was over.
When they reached the Half-Sun Hills, Quinn took a deep breath and smiled wide, enjoying even the small rays of the sun. After weeks spent in the Cyndaran night, to see the sun again... It almost made everything she had been through worth it. She glanced at the cast on her arm, noting that it still ached. She expected that, and just hoped that she'd be able to use it normally soon. She caught wind of Pyrrhus tuning his instrument, and decided that she'd better stay close to him and Trileon. She had done so for the journey thus far, and had no intention of changing that fact.
She sat down in the grass next to him, and marvelled at how big he was, even while she was standing and he was sitting down. "Why did you learn to play?" Quinn asked after a moment.

SilverFlight SilverFlight mothspit mothspit

Iolas turned to see Ora as she spoke. She, like most of the Cyndarans, seemed uncomfortable at the entire idea. Even Desrick seemed bewildered at the entire concept. Iolas felt like a father looking after children who had been sheltered all of their lives, but could he even call it a sheltered life? Perhaps it was the Sumennans who were sheltered from a life of decency. Iolas had to admit that Ora had brought up a good point. They could lesson the degree that Pyrrhus would have to degrade himself, but he would have to degrade himself nonetheless. Iolas could not be dishonest with himself. No matter how much he sympathized and understood the Cyndarans, he could probably never feel the dismay that they were feeling right now; after all, he had not lived, or traveled with these people. He was worried that they would all get cold feet, or worse, abandon all reason and cling to a pride that would definitely return with death. The greatest form of pride could be interpreted as doing what is necessary even if it meant losing everything, even your freedom, or was that just desperation? On that mental note, Iolas turned to Pyrrhus. It was his decision after all. Iolas winced as he could hear the sudden change in his voice. You could hear him come to terms with the reality of the situation as he spoke. Even faking it, would be all to real. Suddenly, he found himself looking up at the soft spoken centaur then something even Iolas could not predict occurred; Pyrrhus wanted him to play the part of the master.

Flutterby Flutterby

Iolas's mind went blank momentarily. His reasoning was sound, but he never imagined that they would be the ones to suggest such a thing. He never thought he would have to relive those days and become Iolas of Everreach. When asked whether or not he had experience, Iolas looked toward Azaria then back to Pyrrhus before speaking. "...Yes, I have dealt with slaves before," he stated gently without a smile. If they did not hate him now, he was certain they just lost all respect for him in this moment, not that he ever cared what others thought about him. It was funny, Iolas had nearly forgotten this part of his former life. He had so many sins it was difficult to remember them all. At different points, such as now, certain truths would come to the forefront of his mind forcing him to relive the atrocities caused by his own hands. Iolas spent the past decades running from his past, but now he was required to run towards it and embrace it. Iolas could see, and feel the pain that this caused Pyrrhus. He could even tell that the following jokes were a mask. It was a ploy that Iolas often utilized himself, but he followed along nonetheless. "That is true, it will be the greatest play ever written," Iolas said with a sad smile as he grabbed the handcuffs and looked into the eyes of the centaur who had greater resolve than he. Iolas decided at that moment that this arrangement was probably for the best. He did not want Pyrrhus's friends to have to deal with this burden. Things like this were better left to a ghost who had already lost everything, better left to Iolas Orixalim. He couldn't help but sigh as he looked toward the ground and thought to himself, I usually work alone. Feeling the searing eyes of everyone around him, he realized he could not falter; especially after he practically chewed out Azaria. He held his head high and maintained his usually demeanor the best he could. If anyone could become heartless at the drop of a hat...it was him.

Iolas listened to Desrick's final orders for the day and simply answered his threat with a nod. He even picked up the daggers coming from Quinn's eyes to which he answered with a smile. There was very little he could say at this point; he understood how they felt. "On to Sumenna then..."

~~~

Once they passed out of the myst and into the half sun hills, Iolas let out a sigh of relief. He had traversed these lands a few times, but it was always refreshing to see the sunlight. He was also amused at Pyrrhus's reaction which made Iolas genuinely chuckle. When they set up camp, Iolas made sure to stay in view of everyone but had his back turned to the rest of the group. Something seemed off, and he could not help but feel as if he had played a part in that, so this was his way to remedy the situation. He was isolating himself, so that they could return to their dynamic. It actually did not bother him that much since he had spent most of his life alone on these very plains. He took out his swords and began to sharpen them as he listened in on the strange notes of the lyre and the conversations around him. Taking in this peaceful view just made him feel...empty.

Jilaina!” Pyrrhus said the name she had given him with genuine delight, smiling when she sat down in the grass beside him. He stopped tuning his lute and turned all his attention onto her, welcoming the distraction from his troubled thoughts.
“’Why did I learn to play?’” The centaur chuckled, a warm, friendly sound. “Why does a bird learn to fly? Not for any more reason than he was born to it, else so that he finds himself closer to the heavens.” He stretched an arm up to the clouds as he said it, then put it down again and ran a gentle hand along the strings of the lute, listening to them murmur under the touch.
Music holds so much for those who know its secrets, more for those who hear it. It is a language of the soul. Music can tame, it can galvanize, it can sadden, it can elate…it can heal without the slightest hint of magic woven into it.” He plucked a few low notes, finding their harmonies with practiced ease.
Pyrrhus had watched Iolas from a distance and his eyes flitted briefly to him now. After learning about the common practices of his people Pyrrhus had found very few words for the high elf of Evereach, yet somehow, couldn't quite put him out of mind.
The right song can pull someone back from the brink of destruction, or lay a heart bare...
Very slowly, he began to play:

The music drifted through the camp, the melody solemn and slow. It played to the hearts, speaking a different word in each one it reached. Even Desrick turned to the melody, letting the tension in his shoulders drop. Tension he hadn’t even realized he was carrying.
Pyrrhus closed his eyes as he played, lost again in the notes that poured forth, but he played for the others, reaching out to them in a way words were never meant to.
When the song was done Pyrrhus set the lute down carefully.
It must please you to see the sun again. I’ve heard stories of the light that touches everything…but to see it in person...I never could have imagined how utterly enchanting it is.” He gave her a conspiratorial smile. “What else have I been missing?
Yatasal Yatasal LazyDaze LazyDaze @ anyone who wants to interact

Lohrithe had spent his day writing a letter to his father. He didn't even bother addressing it to his mother. Instead of using a bird, as Desrick had suggested, the drow thought it better to put his words into writing. A bird in the caves would no doubt arouse rather grumpy company. No, he wrote to his father explaining recent events, casually leaving out what occurred with his best friend, Desrick. He did not know how to spring that one upon his parents. Certainly not in a letter. He wrote of Delan, and the stolen crystal, and a plea for help on behalf of the rest of their beautiful country.

After sending the letter off with clear instructions and an orc, Lohrithe spent time gathering whatever resources he could from what was left of the market. He visited the temple and asked the Goddess for her blessings for their journey.

Soon enough, they were making camp in the Half-Sun Hills, the great light the Sumennans called the "Sun" just above the horizon. It hurt his eyes to look at it. Even gazing too long at the lit ground made him blink. "I don't think I like this sun." He was almost glad he had donned a plain, tan shirt - his skin tingled where it was uncovered. But it was also warmer, here, out of the darkness, and Lohrithe felt it.

The drow finally got to his fruit he had picked along the way. It was the fruit he had shared with the Sumennans on their way into Cyndara. Now, he sat himself next to Iolas, offering him one of the plump, red sacs of juice.

Quinn listened quietly to the music, and found herself looking at the sun's rays on the rolling hills. Somehow, the music seemed to be describing them, following the rays as they touched the grass-covered hills. Quinn shook herself, and glanced at Pyrrhus as the song ended.
She nodded. "Yeah, I can't imagine going years without seeing the sun, feeling his warmth... I could barely stand it in Cyndara for a few weeks, a whole life without it? Not for me, thanks," She said with a slight laugh, trying not to completely insult Cyndara. And yet, she wondered how anyone could go without the light of the sun for longer than a few weeks. At Pyrrhus' question, she smiled and said, "Oh just wait. The cities are gorgeous and vibrant. The marketplaces are filled with activity; shops and shows and all kinds of things. There's always something happening. In the cities, there's layers and layers of different kinds of people doing different things, and they interweave in and around each other. I'm from a smaller town, so when I went to the bigger cities I never wanted to leave."
Quinn smiled, and crossed her legs. She was well aware that she needed a backstory that wasn't at all like her true backstory, and one that she could easily remember. Luckily, Jilaina Revess already had one that Quinn used frequently. "What are the cities like in Cyndara? Or are they like Delan?"

Last edited:
Ora stayed silent as Pyrrhus chose. She was glad they had listened- that he was being given that bit of freedom, but a part of her felt sickened that the practice was even being talked about. Especially with him, who had to be one of the purest souls she had ever met in an adult being. There was a small flinch, towards the end of Pyrrhus's words. You're really the only one here who looks like he could afford me.
The small woman stood and made her way toward the door quickly, thinking, I need a breath of fresh air. Until she heard her name, and Crispin appeared. She blinked in surprise, not what I meant.
She recognized the bird quickly, and held out a hand for it to step onto. The bird shuffled its wings a bit as it did, and then climbed along her arm to settle on her shoulder next to her ear.
Ora's dark eyes held Crispin's for a moment, and then she said, "This is.. dangerous, but I'll do my best to get us back safely. I.. well, I hope that we see you soon. Thank you." She gave him a small smile, and as she walked past him to leave, she rested her hand on his forearm for a heartbeat.
~~~~~
The travel out of Cyndara was much easier than the travel into, thanks to Desrick and the others keeping them on the proper paths. It felt the same though- the anxiety knotted in her stomach and tied her tongue.
This time, the mist played the same images to her, but they had less power, it seemed. The thing that truly frightened her, was that she could have sworn she saw Lassard at the edge of her vision a few times. But every time she turned to look, the figure disappeared back into the fog.
And this time, the Half Sun Hills seemed so much more beautiful. Had she just been in a rush the last time, and not noticed? When the sun touched her face, she relished in the warmth, but found herself annoyed at squinting. She was glad Pyrrhus was enjoying the view, a little bit of sweetness before a whole lot of bitter.

As soon as Desrick ordered a camp made, Ora gave him a small nod. She had pulled a cloak from her pack- it was a lightweight fabric, dyed red. It was clearly not meant for warmth, but when she pulled the hood up, it blocked the sun from bothering her eyes.
"It will take me about two marks to walk there, maybe a mark to arrange things, and about a mark to ride back. If it takes too long- if I'm not back within six marks.. you should turn back." Ora didnt wait for argument about that point, just turned and started on her way to the outpost.

Last edited:
At camp, Azaria tended the fire while the others found their places. She would likely not sleep, she knew. She could still see his face, his dark eyes as the life ran red from his neck. Subconsciously, she thumbed the scar on her own face, brows set in a scowl. Once satisfied with the fire, she left the group to collect whatever edible flora she could fit into a pocket; sure, they had brought provisions, but snacks were always a plus.

Finally, she made her way around to Desrick's side. Her footsteps were slightly less than silent in the grass, so as not to startle him... too badly. She glanced over her shoulder at the rest of camp as she pulled a rolled up paper from a pocket and held it out to the orc. It was a map of Sumenna, with a bit of Cyndara scrawled in on the righthand side. "I have property in Everreach. I can get you and Trileon in, and whomever else cannot go through the front gates, through the tunnels that reach my cellar." She spoke quietly, clear that she did not trust the others with such information just yet.

For the duration of the journey to the Half-Sun Hills, Trileon trekked mostly in silence. It was difficult for her to process; Soon she would be within arms reach of the land of her mother. The feeling was almost surreal, like a dream. She had long wondered what the sun was like, what it felt like on the skin, how it overlooked the land.. and they would be there soon. How bizzare. Before they left for Sumenna, Trileon returned back to her home to gather supplies. Pyrrhus could heal with his magic, and she with her mixtures. She now carried a large leather pouch filled with bottles and materials of her own making, and a quiver freshly stocked with arrows. Unlike most of the others traveling in their company, the beastwoman opted to travel by the trees-- Low enough to engage in conversation, and make herself visible, but high enough to spot any advancing wildlife or enemy. For the most part, she tried not to speak. At least, not until they would reach their campsite. Right now, her mind was too cluttered.

And what a sight it was. The way the sun's rays carresed the mountainside.. it was enough to bring a small tear to the eye. She quickly climbed the nearest tree to it's highest point to get a better look, her mouth hung agape in sheer awe. This was the sun? It was.. beautiful. She had never seen anything like it before. The Cyndaran moon was bright and glittering, but this sun.. this was pure fire.

"..by the queen.." She whispered in disbelief.

Dropping back down from the tree, she did as Desrick instructed, bringing twigs and wood from the surrounding area to keep a fire ablaze. It was hard to put into words how she was feeling-- A mixed bag of sorts. Fear, nervousness, anxiousness.. Feelings that, up until now, were not common in her regular life. She knew the forest like the back of her hand, but this.. this was new territory. Though, there was a glimmer of excitement to the whole affair. She had an opportunity to learn more about these people, and possibly new remedies. That alone would be worth the trip.

Once all had settled and Ora took off for the post, Trileon sat by the fire, absentmindedly sharpening one of many arrows with two pieces of stone.

This was going to be a long night. Day? Twilight? Ugh.

@ whoever wants to interact

Users who are viewing this thread

Back