• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Setting Summer Dawn - OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Got something in the works, but I’m not entirely sure if it’ll fit. It’s essentially a 6th noble house that set their sights on dominating temples to extend their influence and increase their revenue. My character will be a young new inquisitor (essentially someone who roots out internal threats) from “House Cautura”, as I call it. They’ll have positive relations with Soleil, Brynson, and Dwerstand, the last of whom will be their neighbors, of sorts.
If you don't mind that this house may well be a target for Evereach, though if your character is internally focused, how will they fit into the narrative? It might make more sense if they are sent to investigate the extent of Evereach's influence over the political decisions of other houses?

Makes sense. If they’re being picked at by Evereach, it’s likely Cautura would side with Brynson. To clarify, Inquisitors would act as sort of counter-espionage units. They would also be sent to an ally in need, if there are some underhanded blows being struck against said ally.

Makes sense. If they’re being picked at by Evereach, it’s likely Cautura would side with Brynson. To clarify, Inquisitors would act as sort of counter-espionage units. They would also be sent to an ally in need, if there are some underhanded blows being struck against said ally.
That sounds perfect.

So here’s my WIP info for House Cautura.

House Cautura

The younger House Cautura is one of the five lesser houses, but holds its own sway nonetheless. Their home is the city of Eskaro, starting in the northeastern corner of the Dwermount range and spreading southeast. It is easily identified by its grand architecture, with its steepled rooftops and flying buttresses, usually crested by or adorned with shiny brass or gold sun symbols.

The founder of this house was an offshoot of an initially frowned-upon union between human and elven nobles. Due to their proximity to Dwerstand, the original House Cautura and their neighbors have bolstered each other in their times of need; dwarves have found work mining for the “dainty” half-elves, who sank a fortune into outsourcing labor and reaped tenfold. Then, with their new fortune, House Cautura targeted a point that was not seized by any noble houses yet: the temples.

The zealous second-generation Cautura nobles grew in power by tying up high-ranking clergy positions in worship of Summrbrynde, though the authenticity of their faith frequently came under scrutiny behind closed doors. Ruled by Archbishop Engelbert Cautura, high-ranking clergymen enjoy a shockingly frivolous lifestyle, unwittingly and unwillingly funded by the tithe-paying citizens of Eskaro. Those who wished to openly speak against these gilded clerics found themselves on the receiving end of a secret inquisition and were left with a brand at the bases of their spines, a painful reminder that the truth hurts... for those who try to expose it. As the inquisitors grew more numerous and powerful, some were sent in secret to help House Cautura’s allies sniff out saboteurs and libelists, an action that ultimately proved mutually beneficial.

Further inter-house dealings have involved underhanded espionage and assassination contracts with House Soleil. The two have an excellent rapport, mainly because House Cautura is one of the largest buyers of assassination and espionage services in the world.

The original generation did have some financial backing from one of its parent houses, House Brynson. All in all, the Cautura name would have never been defined without the support of three other houses. Unfortunately, Engelbert is not modest and credits his ancestors too much for his own house’s foundation and success. Despite his family’s mixed heritage, he is a purveyor of racial bias like many in Sumenna.

Recent developments in the brewing conflict between Brynson and a bloodthirsty mutual enemy—Evereach—have prompted House Cautura to pledge a team of inquisitors to assist in the investigation and thwarting of the sinister plans to wage war on Cyndara.

So here’s my WIP info for House Cautura.

House Cautura

The younger House Cautura is one of the five lesser houses, but holds its own sway nonetheless. Their home is the city of Eskaro, starting in the northeastern corner of the Dwermount range and spreading southeast. It is easily identified by its grand architecture, with its steepled rooftops and flying buttresses, usually crested by or adorned with shiny brass or gold sun symbols.

The founder of this house was an offshoot of an initially frowned-upon union between human and elven nobles. Due to their proximity to Dwerstand, the original House Cautura and their neighbors have bolstered each other in their times of need; dwarves have found work mining for the “dainty” half-elves, who sank a fortune into outsourcing labor and reaped tenfold. Then, with their new fortune, House Cautura targeted a point that was not seized by any noble houses yet: the temples.

The zealous second-generation Cautura nobles grew in power by tying up high-ranking clergy positions in worship of Summrbrynde, though the authenticity of their faith frequently came under scrutiny behind closed doors. Ruled by Archbishop Engelbert Cautura, high-ranking clergymen enjoy a shockingly frivolous lifestyle, unwittingly and unwillingly funded by the tithe-paying citizens of Eskaro. Those who wished to openly speak against these gilded clerics found themselves on the receiving end of a secret inquisition and were left with a brand at the bases of their spines, a painful reminder that the truth hurts... for those who try to expose it. As the inquisitors grew more numerous and powerful, some were sent in secret to help House Cautura’s allies sniff out saboteurs and libelists, an action that ultimately proved mutually beneficial.

Further inter-house dealings have involved underhanded espionage and assassination contracts with House Soleil. The two have an excellent rapport, mainly because House Cautura is one of the largest buyers of assassination and espionage services in the world.

The original generation did have some financial backing from one of its parent houses, House Brynson. All in all, the Cautura name would have never been defined without the support of three other houses. Unfortunately, Engelbert is not modest and credits his ancestors too much for his own house’s foundation and success. Despite his family’s mixed heritage, he is a purveyor of racial bias like many in Sumenna.

Recent developments in the brewing conflict between Brynson and a bloodthirsty mutual enemy—Evereach—have prompted House Cautura to pledge a team of inquisitors to assist in the investigation and thwarting of the sinister plans to wage war on Cyndara.
I love it. I did picture the religion surrounding the sun god to be a lot like Catholicism. I'm excited to see where you'll take it XD

Goonfire Goonfire
Love the character. He's accepted, on the condition that you fill out the personality and backstory a little more, but you can start writing before you do.

Let's say Cautura is an ally of Gideon's and they sent your character to help him in his efforts to undermine Evereach?
Do you want me to give you a quick summary of what's happened recently?

Okay. First draft is up. Let me know if there is any more info you need from me.
Overall its a good CS, your personality section needs a little more detail. You need to pick either skill with the sword or magic or detail a weakness in one. You can't be proficient in both. As a gm I am also vetoing the incest thing. It's not a theme I would like to involve in my thread.

Overall its a good CS, your personality section needs a little more detail. You need to pick either skill with the sword or magic or detail a weakness in one. You can't be proficient in both. As a gm I am also vetoing the incest thing. It's not a theme I would like to involve in my thread.
Alright. I’ll need some time to rework things, but I have another idea that I can potentially use.

Cool cool.
Second draft is now up. Equipment slightly changed, personality added upon, history re-written and unacceptable themes removed, skill with a sword reduced in favor of magic. The history heavily involves Evereach, so let me know if there are any major points in there that don't make sense.

Second draft is now up. Equipment slightly changed, personality added upon, history re-written and unacceptable themes removed, skill with a sword reduced in favor of magic. The history heavily involves Evereach, so let me know if there are any major points in there that don't make sense.
That's great! Accepted. Would you like a brief update to know where we are exactly? I can help you devise a way to slot your character into what we are doing right now.

That's great! Accepted. Would you like a brief update to know where we are exactly? I can help you devise a way to slot your character into what we are doing right now.
I've been reading here and there, but a condensed rundown and figuring out where I can fit in would be fantastic.

I've been reading here and there, but a condensed rundown and figuring out where I can fit in would be fantastic.
OK,

So Gideon introduced the new recruits (new players that came in) to the troop that just came out of Cyndara. What the Cyndara team has been doing before then is written out in the updates. Gideon has been tracking a group of kidnappers that have been targeting the staff of lower houses and he believes that this is a bully tactic that Evereach is using to scare the houses into compliance. He wants proof of this and explains as much to our team. They managed to get information that lead them to the lakeside dock district (I think that's described in the lore section). There are two locations that our characters are currently hitting. A run down flour mill right by the water that is being used to store the kidnapped people, and a ship, "The Boon of the Sun", a large trading vessel docked right beside the mill.
Raven, Trileon and Oralia are infiltrating the flour mill and Iolas, Azaria and Crow are hitting the ship. Pyrrhus and Desrick are on the shore watching what is going on. If things go south, Gideon has sent a few men that will attack on Desrick's signal. Aside from rescuing the kidnapped people Gideon also asked them to find evidence that Evereach is tied to the kidnappings. This could be in the form of letters or ledgers, anything signed or sealed with something traceable back to the high house.
If your character knows about what they are doing (he'd have to be a friend of Gideon for that) he could go in and help. Trileon is currently trying to get captured by a guard outside the mill while Ora has already been taken inside and is about to be discovered. Iolas, Az and Crow are on the second deck of the ship in the captian's quarters and they've already stolen the keys off of a guard sleeping by the trap door that leads to the third deck where the prisoners are being kept in cells.

The Gunrunner The Gunrunner I noted you posted your CS, I will be away for a few days and I might not get the chance to read it through until Monday. It would help me out immensely, if I forget, if you could just poke me to remind me if I have not replied before then.

OK,

So Gideon introduced the new recruits (new players that came in) to the troop that just came out of Cyndara. What the Cyndara team has been doing before then is written out in the updates. Gideon has been tracking a group of kidnappers that have been targeting the staff of lower houses and he believes that this is a bully tactic that Evereach is using to scare the houses into compliance. He wants proof of this and explains as much to our team. They managed to get information that lead them to the lakeside dock district (I think that's described in the lore section). There are two locations that our characters are currently hitting. A run down flour mill right by the water that is being used to store the kidnapped people, and a ship, "The Boon of the Sun", a large trading vessel docked right beside the mill.
Raven, Trileon and Oralia are infiltrating the flour mill and Iolas, Azaria and Crow are hitting the ship. Pyrrhus and Desrick are on the shore watching what is going on. If things go south, Gideon has sent a few men that will attack on Desrick's signal. Aside from rescuing the kidnapped people Gideon also asked them to find evidence that Evereach is tied to the kidnappings. This could be in the form of letters or ledgers, anything signed or sealed with something traceable back to the high house.
If your character knows about what they are doing (he'd have to be a friend of Gideon for that) he could go in and help. Trileon is currently trying to get captured by a guard outside the mill while Ora has already been taken inside and is about to be discovered. Iolas, Az and Crow are on the second deck of the ship in the captian's quarters and they've already stolen the keys off of a guard sleeping by the trap door that leads to the third deck where the prisoners are being kept in cells.
Great. Thanks for the update. I'm probably going to hang back for a moment until things with Gunrunner are settled, since our characters went to the city together.

The Gunrunner The Gunrunner I have a few notes.

The biggest one is that as a Cyndaran your character and his clan cannot have any contact with any part of Sumenna. That is a pretty key element in the plot and it is restated a number of times in the lore. That bit with Dwerstand (the Sumennan dwarves) will have to be removed. Your character alone could pass as a Sumennan, but he'd have to downplay the human skulls etc. to blend in. Cyndarans if discovered are killed on sight in Sumenna.
Personality is missing a paragraph. I did say two.
Also your bio states campaigning, but against whom?

Otherwise, the clan lore is a bit grim, but I'll allow it. Change those bits and I can accept the character.

SilverFlight SilverFlight Ah, I'm very sorry about that actually. I was misremembering the part with the dwarves as them going into Cyndaran mountains for some reason. I've removed that part, and instead the Khans just mine the mountain themselves. I've also removed the flaw with him showing the bones (since he hides them now,) for something related to being a peacekeeper.
Added a paragraph to the personality for when he's acting as a diplomat.
The campaigning I kept vague since I wasn't sure how far the fighting could go. Is it possible they were used in secretive raids against opposing houses, maybe helping out assassins in some way? I'm not sure what I would be allowed to do relating to that. If that's not okay, they'd just be hunting monsters and bandit groups of various sizes.

Edited, please let me know if there's further problems and I'll change them around. Apologies again for conflicting with the lore, definitely a my bad there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back