• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Setting Summer Dawn - Firelight tales

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Time: the day before the masquerade ball
Interaction: Crow, Pyrrhus

With his mask off, Crow whisked away a film of sweat from his brow. His bangs had been obscuring another violet patch at the hairline. “This is one of the hotter days, I’ll say.” Black material was notorious for holding heat, so he was about to melt in the flashy number. He turned his attention to the pond; it was the cleanest pond water he had seen in recent memory.

“A break is much-needed,” he agreed, sauntering over to the shade nearest the pond. He couldn’t help wondering what Pyrrhus was planning.

SilverFlight SilverFlight

Pyrrhus followed Crow a few paces behind before stepping up beside him to the water's edge. The sun played upon the rippled made by a slight breeze, sending shafts of light spinning across the trunks of the willows.
It was too much to resist. Setting his clothes and mask down carefully, Pyrrhus turned and trotted away. He stopped then and turned back, giving Crow a roguish expression before he broke into a full gallop.
With one great leap he made it right over the deepest part, sending up a huge splash as his body collided with the surface. The ducks scattered in a series of offended quacks and took to the air. He came up streaming water, and grinning from ear to ear.
"Much better!"
In truth it wasn't that deep. He stood on the stony bottom and the water lapped at his equine shoulders, washing just over his back. Pyrrhus cupped the clear water in his hands and pulled it through his hair, letting the cool of it take the edge off the harsh sun. He hoped Gideon wouldn't be too upset, but trusted to the good nature of their host.
"I never thought I'd grow to love cold water this much!"

Goonfire Goonfire

Indeed, you gain an appreciation for the cold in general. It feels so much better in the mountains,” Crow continued while removing the gold-trimmed articles behind cover. For a change, this felt normal. With his guard lowered and self-consciousness waning, he bolted from behind the willow trunk and into the pond. A spur-of-the-moment decision, he hadn’t considered the paint might wash off... or that some passerby could catch him in a loincloth. Had the ‘better judgment’ he was taught been nagging him at the moment, he would have been utterly mortified.

"Are you from the mountains?" Pyrrhus asked, interested to know more about the man who had agreed to dance with him.

He shielded his face from the water thrown up by Crow barreling into it, laughing. Centaurs did not care much about covering their bodies, but being around two-leggeds as much as he had Pyrrhus had developed a healthy awareness of their modesty. When he watched Crow however, the thought seemed furthest from his mind, and that, Pyrrhus thought, was not a bad thing.

"I can imagine people in Sumenna must like the water. Do you?"
He shot Crow a playful grin then, and scooped up a handful of water to flick at him.

Goonfire Goonfire

In the clear, shimmering water, the image of Crow’s other markings was distorted, but still noticeable. They adorned his hips and feet, their faint light refracting in the water. With his cares washed away, Crow thoroughly enjoyed his dip in the pond; that much was clear. “Yes; two houses have their cities around the Dwermount. There’s Dwerstand towards the western reaches and Eskaro—home of House Cautura—in the northeast,” he divulged. “Eskaro is... probably the furthest from Brynson. Don’t quote me on that; I’d need a map and a ruler to give you exact distances.”

When asked about his love of water, Crow had to think for a moment. “You know... I’d say I do, though I’ve never been able to enjoy it with anyone else. That, and... well... I’m not a fantastic swimmer, so this shallow pond is a boon.” It seemed appropriate for him to ask Pyrrhus about Cyndara next, so he started simple: “I can tell you like it, but do the other Cyndarans?”

"Oh yes! Get me a ruler and a map right now! My avid interest for Sumennan geography demands it." Pyrrhus laughed, letting the playful sarcasm rest between them.
He sank slowly to his knees, allowing the water to cool him up to the shoulders.
Unthinking, his eyes trailed the markings on Crow's skin, but only until he realized it might re-awaken the shyness he likely had. Eventually he settled for Crow's face, but still, Crow was beautiful, and that he couldn't deny, to himself or anyone.
Crow replied to his question in a matter-of-fact way, and seemed to follow a formal protocol in his conversation. It was intriguing.

"Some Cyndarans are born in the water." And he said this without a hint of irony. "I suppose many others do, but a lot of others do not. In many places the water is frozen most of the year, but on the plains, where I am from, the rivers mean life."
A small silence followed, interrupted only by birdsong in the hedges nearby
"Is there anything you don't take seriously?" Pyrrhus was teasing him, and that was clear in his smile, which was still playful with an edge of mischief. Getting Crow to play back had become a game in itself.

Goonfire Goonfire

There was something about Pyrrhus’ facetiousness that gave Crow a good chuckle, without fail. With a smirk, he promptly retorted, “I’m happy to indulge your curiosity,” pretending to be sadistic enough to force his exotic and attractive companion to sit through a boring geography lesson. That act proved difficult, and he smirked playfully at the end of his comment.

After a brief reflection on Cyndaran waters, Crow glanced back to respond to Pyrrhus’ teasing. “Oh no, you’re making me think now,” he moaned jokingly, stretching his arms along the bank. With a quick roll of his neck, he questioned back, “Do you have anyone waiting for you back at home?” He then turned to rest his elbow on the clay-rich soil, a titter escaping him. “Siblings? Perhaps a lover?”

"Ah, there it is." Pyrrhus said in a satisfied voice. "I knew you could play this game."
He rose to move a bit closer before sinking down again, not wanting to tower over Crow, but be level with him. Equal to him.
"You don't have to think..." He suggested in a low, quiet voice.

The next question caught him off guard. His expression fell and his blue eyes reflected the hurt of long ago memories. Suddenly he couldn't look at Crow, though he wanted to, and focused instead on the waterlilies that had nestled up against his flank when he'd moved. His tail curled around him and he crossed his arms protectively over his stomach, almost unaware he was doing it.
Slowly, he shook his head. "No...but it's better that way. What we're doing is dangerous and...I would hate to leave anyone behind..."
He repeated the words he told himself every time the loneliness bit too deep.
Goonfire Goonfire

Crow felt a twinge of pain the instant Pyrrhus’ expression turned melancholy. That distant look... it was one of a man having a bitter recollection. He, too, inched closer. “I didn’t mean to pry,” he gulped. Closer and closer he crept, until the two were side-by-side. “If it means anything, I don’t have much to return to, either.” But then, there was Pyrrhus, someone who made the world seem that much less intimidating. “I’d like to change that... someday, somewhere, somehow.” The life of an inquisitor was a lonely one. It took a different kind of person to perform this duty for a lifetime, and Crow knew he didn’t fit the bill.

Glancing down, Crow noticed he had subconsciously wrapped his fingers around Pyrrhus’ hand. He held his breath, though no effort was made to pull away. His mind warned against involving himself in another person’s life, but his aching heart screamed ‘yes’. It was obvious which had started governing his actions.

Last edited:

"I--No, you didn't it's...in the past."
Pyrrhus was aware of Crow closing the distance, and let him. Grateful for it. Something had changed between them. He would have been a fool not to notice: the difference in Crow's tone, how he moved.
“If it means anything, all I don’t have much to return to, either.”
That woke him and Pyrrhus met his eyes. He felt Crow's hand brush his, linger there. He felt a torrent of emotion descend upon him: a whirlwind of elation, of doubt, of fear and yearning jumbled up and clamouring to be felt all at once.
Crow was captivating, right there in that moment, Pyrrhus couldn't look away if his life depended on it.
"I'd like to change that..." The words stayed with him, notes to a song that was so familiar it hurt.
Pyrrhus drew in a deep breath and let it go, and his heart stilled. He wrapped his other hand around the one Crow had given him, stroking the back of his knuckles with tender care. A promise.
"If you want to...then you will." He whispered it, he was close enough now. Close enough he could make the distance between them vanish before Crow could blink...
Pyrrhus drew back slowly. There was mild regret for it playing in his eyes, though he was smiling again.
"We should probably head back in. The others might start to wonder where we've gone."

Goonfire Goonfire

Crow had no regrets or disappointment, only understanding and compassion. Neither man seemed quite ready to call it love, but yet another cliché held true: ‘all good things in due time.’ And so he silently resolved to pursue this exquisite character, who now knew and understood him better than anyone else.

The chime of a clock tower signaled the end of their dip. Crow realized they had been away for almost three hours. “You’re right,” he acquiesced. “You know what they say, though; ‘time flies when you’re having fun.’ He didn’t rise until Pyrrhus did, so they could gather their belongings and return together.

Pyrrhus stood slowly, water cascading off his body, his fur slick and shining. He made his way to the shore slowly too and as he began to ring out his hair, his equine skin shivered, throwing droplets in a rainbow about his shoulders. He glanced back at Crow and his knowing smile told him that there would be much more fun to come, but it also bore a fondness that was steadily growing.
When he went to retrieve his jacket and mask he found that someone had placed towels there, one was much larger than the other. He glanced around, but the one responsible had left already. Pyrrhus suspected Marilene and smiled to himself. He took the smaller towel, trotted back to Crow, and without hesitation turned to wrap it about the young man's shoulders, letting his arms rest there for just a little longer, before stepping back.
"Someone was very thoughtful." He said happily, taking the larger towel and drying his human shoulders and back before draping it about his withers.
"I've never been waited on before. I might get used to it."
Goonfire Goonfire

((We could also collab the conversation between Crow, Pyrrhus and the high inquisitor here.))

Time: during the masquerade ball
Interaction: Bishop Stenmann Crow, Pearl, Pyrrhus

“Bring the centaur. Close the door.” The two commands chilled Crow’s blood. He immediately receded behind Pearl to close the door after she arrived.

As soon as the latch clicked, flames sprouted throughout the room; an entire array of candles had been lit by the high inquisitor with a simple motion of his hand. The dim light cast an eerie glow upon the ghastly mask that concealed all features except the man’s clean-shaven jaw and unblinking eyes that seemed to map even the slightest weakpoints. He passed the team of three, and while he was no longer directly staring at them, the feeling of scrutiny lingered as he kept watch through the reflections in the polished brass lighting implements. “Report,” he ordered shortly.

Crow immediately marched to the tableside. He appeared nervous as he had before, when reading the guest list on the carriage. “We found several incriminating documents aboard the Evereach slave vessel, the Boon of the Sun.”

“Show them.” The bishop did not hold out his hand to receive the papers; he wanted them placed in front of him.

SilverFlight SilverFlight HumbugPie HumbugPie

(#D14841. It’s to the left of the darkest red on the color picker.)

Interaction: Bishop Stenmann Crow, Pearl, Pyrrhus

Suddenly Pyrrhus was less eager to meet the man Crow had called a bishop. He was intimidating to say the least, and the fact that Crow was acting so differently did nothing to ease his worry. Pyrrhus had kept his head bowed, one hand clasped on the wrist of his other, resting just below his navel. He had watched the other centaur take up this position and thought it best to maintain the semblance of servitude. His heart went out to the young inquisitor as he shrank under the older man's harsh gaze, but he dared not look at him.

Pyrrhus nearly jumped at the sharp order from Bishop Stenmann and came forward obediently, head still bowed. He withdrew the last of the documents, opened them and placed them on the table facing the Bishop, before bowing and backing away to stand behind his friends.
Pyrrhus wondered if they should tell him about the documents that had been taken. Whatever had happened, Pyrrhus was sure Iolas had had a reason to take them. Perhaps Lassard had managed something, though what Pyrrhus could only imagine. How to let Crow know what he was thinking though? He couldn't speak, any action that might hint at his slavery being a facade could put both himself and anyone near him in danger.

Pyrrhus continued to stare downward as he stood behind Crow. Very carefully he brought a hand up behind Crow's back and placed it gently in its center. He hoped the inquisitor would have control enough not to react. From here the Bishop could not see what he was doing.
Very carefully, he proceeded to trace the letters in the fabric of Crow's splendid coat: I-O-L-A-S.

Goonfire Goonfire HumbugPie HumbugPie

Interaction: Bishop Stenmann, Crow, Pearl, Pyrrhus

The stern bishop’s oppressive gaze lightened as he got what he wanted. He skimmed over it, flipping through the pages, but stopped for a moment to flip back and forth. “This one is incomplete,” he pointed out.

Crow nodded, taking note of the letters traced on his own back. “About that...” he started, earning a raised eyebrow from his adoptive father. “One of our partners—Iolas—had a run-in with Lassard. We had to sacrifice a couple pages to delay him.”

Stenmann nodded along. “We have eyewitness accounts of property theft, and now this.” By ‘property’, he meant the servants that had been rescued. “This is satisfactory,” he judged flatly. “Who else has read these?”

“Lassard, Gideon, our allies keeping watch outside, us three, and now you,” Crow promptly answered.

“Three?” The high inquisitor glanced around skeptically, figuring out his subordinate counted Pyrrhus. He made no comment about it. “So none of the other nobles...”

“You’re the first.”

“And what will you do to grab their attention?” Good question, Bishop. Good question...

Crow stroked his chin briefly. “I suppose I could lure them with talks of a trade agreement... or perhaps opening or expanding temples in their cities.”

For a split second, it seemed Stenmann’s poker face had wavered. He approved of the plan, namely the latter part, as it was believable for House Cautura to make a quarterly proposal for renovations, expansions, and foundations of religious sites in other houses’ territories. “I will stay here to lend some credibility,” he plotted, grabbing several maps from a scroll table in the corner of the room. “Now make haste.”

“Understood.” The younger inquisitor paused to glance back. “By the way, Bishop Stenmann? ... Where is the armory? Iolas requested swords.”

“And I requested you make haste. If one of your ‘fantastic allies’ has a free moment in their ‘busy schedules’, they can fetch his swords.” The sarcastic words bit into Crow, sending shivers up the boy’s spine. “Tell them the armory is downstairs, to the right, and at the end of the hall.” The harsh, aging man let that sink in with a brief pause. “That’s all.”

SilverFlight SilverFlight HumbugPie HumbugPie

Time: During the masquerade ball
Interaction: Bishop Stenmann, Crow, Pyrrhus

As soon as the bright lights spread around the room, Pearl held her hand above her brow and shaded her eyes until her vision adjusted from being in pitch black. She scanned the room, when finally her vision landed on the Bishop. His emotionless gaze definitely set her on edge, his eyes were piercing... it felt as if he was peering into her soul without permission. Pearl crossed her arms over her chest in a subconciously defensive manner and kept a very keen eye on her friends. As the Bishop's orders came forth, she watched as Pyrrhus laid the papers on his table. Though the intimidating nature of the man still roamed, he seemed rather docile, if only a little bossy. However, Pearl wasn't going to let her guard down and she kept an eye on his every move.

Eventhough Pearl couldn't see what Pyrrhus was writting on Crow's back, or even that he was writting on Crow's back because she was infront of them both, she felt the unease in the air. The atmosphere of the entire room felt tense and crushing, like the walls were closing in on them. And as the Bishop piped up again, she felt her skin crawl - his fluctuating behaviour made him seem unstable and untrustworthy. Making her way to leave with Crow and Pyrrhus, she looked back at the harsh old man and made eye contact with him for a split second. Crow seemed rather uncomfortable by his presence, which made her want to leave as quickly as possible.

Being the last to leave the room, she closed the door shut and took a deep breath in with her eyes closed before continuing with her friends. She took Crow's hand in hopes of making him feel more secure, and gave him an encouraging 'you got this' kind of look before turning her head to look at Pyrrhus. His personality had dimmed ever since Iolas' charade, "not long now, Pyrrhus," she spoke in a kind, quiet and hopefully calming tone. She knew her friends would need all the confidence in the world to achieve what was coming and if she could contribute, she certainly would.
Goonfire Goonfire SilverFlight SilverFlight

Time: Day of the Masquerade Ball
Interaction: Iolas and Lassard

Lassard was not only injured, but he was also blinded by Crow's efforts. It would be a lie to think that Iolas did not relax momentarily seeing Lassard in such a state; in fact, it only made him press more once he had dropped his sword and stumbled backwards avoiding his first strike. Just when Iolas thought it was all but over he noticed a sudden shift in Lassard's movements as a dagger was pulled out of his sleeve at the last second. Even in this situation Lassard was as crafty as ever. Iolas reacting on pure instinct to the slight of hand of Lassard, pivoted to turn his body to the side in an effort to avoid the dagger while continuing his forward momentum; however, he could not avoid the dagger completely as his abdomen was grazed by the deadly weapon. Continuing his momentum he spun counterclockwise to deliver a spinning kick with his left foot to send the Captain stumbling in that direction if he is hit with the full brunt of the attack, as Iolas pressed again.

"Threats between labored breaths lose their luster, Captain," Iolas said with a chuckle as he continued to press the crafty Captain. "What have my dear friends been saying about me since I have been away?" Iolas had many questions for Lassard, and now might be the only time he could get answers.

Lassard felt the lack of resistance as the blade grazed his opponent, but his hand was already up, turning the kick, though the weight of it put him off balance for a moment. The dagger came up again and they broke.
"It was a promise traitor." Lassard spat. "And no one has been saying anything about you, you were a stain, cleansed from Evereach. Forgotten. Everyone who ever gave you leniency was executed. Though apparently we did not cleanse well enough the first time."
Lassard was regaining his vision, but he was still biding. He circled slowly. There was murderous intent in his gaze.
"Your new friends will die because of you Iolas, and you can carry that guilt with you all the way to the underworld."
Suddenly he lunged, but not at Iolas, he's been moving slowly to position himself close enough to his weapon. He dove for it, catching it up in one hand and lashing out with it, all in one fluid motion. He aimed straight for the other elf's face.

"Traitoorrr," Iolas asked as if he was innocently oblivious. Nevertheless, he had conflicting emotions about the other statements. He didn't know that others sided with him, and that Everreach went through such extents to erase him from history; however, he was saddened by the deaths of allies he never knew. As Lassard continued his murderous waltz Iolas could not help but feel sorry for Lassard, it was as if he was looking in a mirror. That flicker of sympathy was quickly snuffed out when Lassard threatened his friends yet again and found his way to his weapon. A part of Iolas was actually pleased, killing a toothless lion would leave an empty feeling, and he too took note of Lassard's improving reflexes. Iolas parried the strike with the blade in his left hand and pressed against it so that he could pin Lassard while raising his right hand to point a second threatening sword at Lassard. Even after all he has done, and will do, he still believed there was hope for him.

"End this nonsense Lassard. Blind allegiance and violence is not beneficial to anyone. Lassard, I will give you one last chance...and then I will take your head."

No matter which way Iolas struck, Lassard met steel with steel, turning the blade just so so every blow slid off and saved him energy. His footwork was immaculate and even as Iolas struck Lassard danced around him.
"You could not take my head if you were twice as skilled Iolas, or did you forget that you forsook the Evereach training...while I finished it."
Lassard pressed again, catching the guard from the corner of his eye, he fainted one more time and came up again with his blade straight for Iolas' throat, but the dagger he had in his other hand, hidden by a billowing sleeve, flashed again, straight for his opponent's midriff.
Regardless of the outcome, as soon as the guard came into full view Lassard broke, he threw Iolas a half smile before sheathing his weapons. The fight was over, for now.
LazyDaze LazyDaze

Time: Just after the Brynson Ball
Interaction: Crow & Pyrrhus

Gideon was as good as his word. The solarium had been covered so completely there was not a hint of sunlight peaking through. Instead, the warm glow of several candles set upon a table illuminated the branches and leaves of the exotic trees Gideon collected. The small plants had been moved out already and the floor swept clean. A mountain of large cushions was set against the back wall, under two big trees. It was big enough for two whole centaurs and Pyrrhus had a sneaking suspicion Marillene had been in charge of it. He wondered if there were any cushions left in the mansion at all.
Reclining on the pillows felt like lying on a bed of soft cloud and Pyrrhus let out a sigh of complete contentment as he felt the tension fade from his body. There were fresh bandages and healing supplies laid out too, having been put there on Gideon's request after their host had seen the injuries Pyrrhus sported. Seeing to his own leg was easy, but his shoulder...that would require help.
Not being able to play the lute, Pyrrhus resigned himself to writing, taking paper and the quill that had been set on the table by the candles and a small plate of grapes. They had only been with him a week and already Gideon had come to know them well enough that he could provide them with anything they wanted without being asked.
The slow scratch of the quill tip against the paper was all the could be heard as Pyrrhus waited for Crow to appear.
Goonfire Goonfire

Sure enough, the wait paid off; there was Crow, shuffling in with his hair slightly messy after a short nap. He was taken aback by the darkness of the solarium, at first, though oddly pleased as his eyes grew accustomed to the dim candlelight. “I must say, I could get used to lighting conditions such as these,” he mused softly before easing himself onto one of many cushions. “How is your shoulder, Pyrrhus? Better, I’d hope.” He knew it would take several treatments to fully mend the myriad tears, but he resolved to take as long as needed to accomplish that. Of course, his eyes also snapped towards the fresh writings, which piqued his curiosity.

Pyrrhus heard the door just as the beams of sunlight poured out onto the stones. He hid a smile at the sight of Crow, hair unruly, moving with a slow step that told Pyrrhus he had just woken from rest.
"Sleep well?" He asked. Brushing the tip of the quill against his chin as he admired his visitor.
Pyrrhus looked at the orange light playing off the canopy of leaves over their heads as Crow mentioned it.
"Oh, it's not like this at all." The centaur explained quietly. "There is light everywhere in Cyndara, it just doesn't all come from the sky." He reached up and pulled a small branch down. "See this tree? We have something with a similar leaf in Cyndara, but its sap glows bright blue. It shines through the veins in each leaf and the new buds glitter like stars.
In Centaurish it's called Drin'Astara, the daughter of the heavens. It symbolizes hope, and new beginnings.
"
He was diverted from the tree by being asked about his shoulder as Crow took up the cushion beside him.
"It's much better now, thank you. Still painful, but you did a wonderful job." He chuckled warmly. "You are going to make a fantastic healer when I'm done with you."
Pyrrhus had thought and thought about what he wanted tell him, but now that Crow was actually here, it all seemed to slip away from his mind. He ran a hand through his long, black hair, the rings clinking their usual, cheery sound as they bumped against one another.
"That garden scuffle got a bit too close for comfort I think!" He tried to hide behind his humour, but it wasn't hard to see he had more than that to say.
Goonfire Goonfire

"Well enough to say I'm more coherent," Crow shrugged, glancing away for a split second. 'Has it really been only a couple hours since the ball?'

He listened attentively to the vivid description of the bioluminescent Cyndaran flora. "I'm... not surprised, really; people who have never crossed the border tend to fabricate bleak stories all the time; monsters, pitch-blackness, et cetera." Hope and new beginnings, though... It was a fitting symbol for one such as Crow, who was seeking both. Although he failed to express it verbally, his fascination with the Drin'Astara tree had clearly been sparked.

Crow was flattered by the praises of his work, though he remained humble. "It was all I could do at the moment. We must be resourceful, always," he reiterated with a faint bow of his head. A brief moment of silence ensued, until Pyrrhus broke it once more. Humor met humor as the small talk was made. "Oh, the scuffle? Indeed. I wish we had been given the opportunity to finish that dance." His fingers idly ran through the short fur covering the centaur's side while deciphering the unfulfilled expression. "So... I have a free moment. Or in this case, a few free days," he goaded with a nigh-inaudible chuckle. His statement was, in fact, true; he had cleared any sort of schedule he was keeping, to focus on the healing process, likely in cooperation with Trileon, should their hours overlap at any point.

"Oh we will finish the dance. The moment I am well enough." Pyrrhus promised resolutely.
He closed his eyes at the touch, cherishing it. When he opened them again Crow was studying him, and Cynda bless him he still had that frustratingly-charming muss to his hair. Pyrrhus couldn't stand it any longer, he reached over to smooth it back, his hand lingering just a little longer than perhaps it should.
The thought of spending more time with Crow, like this, made his heart quicken. He had to tell him and so, he tried to speak again.
"Crow, what happened back at the castle...when Lassard was holding my life for ransom...If it was the only way to beat him I...I could really only think of one thing, just one regret..."
He fidgeted a little, tail flicking as he tried to find the words. The confident flirt had grown tentative, almost nervous.
He took a deep breath, trying to muster his courage once more. "And that would be leaving you behind."
He let the silence drift back in between them, hoping he hadn't said too much.
Goonfire Goonfire

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back