News & Updates Server Migration Saturday Morning (EST Time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey All,

We are upgrading our server this weekend on Saturday morning on 12/03/22, we can't give an exact time since there's always a bit of prep work to do before an actual live migration, no matter how much we prep, and we also need to wake up which can vary a little bit, but it should be before noon est. The migration should be rather quick, but assuming it's on the slow side or something goes wrong, we will safely give an estimate of 2-3 hours. We will have a page up

For those of you who like the technical side of things, the specs for the new server are in the spoiler.

AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core
128G RAM,
2x 3.84TB NVMe SSD

For those interested, our Discord server will be around, please feel free to join with the invite link at the top of the site or the sidebar on the forum index. While the site is down, there will be a message up that will automatically refresh every so often and if you leave the site up in a tab, the site will come back on its own when the migration is done.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to post below :)!

So you'll be offline for 3 hours probably.

Nothing is expected to go wrong, data migration from server to server is just sending the files over, and it will go as fast as the network connection allows. However, I clearly have just jinxed it by saying nothing is expected to go wrong.

The thing is... Don't worry I believe it's just an update of the server and everything will go back to normal when it's finished. Nothing will be lost. From what I know about server updates, like Spotify, it'll just open up again when it's done, just something new will be there.

Like getting a new phone, back everything up. Pop-out SIM, and install it in the new and shiny phone. Done.

Just takes a bit of time for all the info to be searchable. Anyone who has had to have their mailbox rebuilt will know that struggle. Email is working again, but you can't search until it's done downloading and organizing everything.

When people, like the staff here, stay on top of server care, it rarely suffers significant issues. Major issues come from failing servers that people keep using until things hit the fan.

from one noc tech to another.....god speed the brave soul managing this and the inevitable troubleshooting 🤣

The thing is... Don't worry I believe it's just an update of the server and everything will go back to normal when it's finished. Nothing will be lost. From what I know about server updates, like Spotify, it'll just open up again when it's done, just something new will be there.
Like getting a new phone, back everything up. Pop-out SIM, and install it in the new and shiny phone. Done.

Just takes a bit of time for all the info to be searchable. Anyone who has had to have their mailbox rebuilt will know that struggle. Email is working again, but you can't search until it's done downloading and organizing everything.

When people, like the staff here, stay on top of server care, it rarely suffers significant issues. Major issues come from failing servers that people keep using until things hit the fan.

We definitely like to stay on top of the server, sales and how our hardware is doing, we didn't need the CPU as much as everything else but that inevitably comes with a server upgrade, it's why it was a 5950x instead of a 7950x because we just didn't need the current gen. What we needed was more ram and storage.

It will definitely be fine, the site will not be updating the forum software, add-ons or anything of the nature, it's all server based entirely. Like Ghan said, the database, web server and other server necessities. The site itself is codelocked for December because I don't want to release or do anything new right now, I've been working on some major features that I want to release after Christmas.

We definitely like to stay on top of the server, sales and how our hardware is doing, we didn't need the CPU as much as everything else but that inevitably comes with a server upgrade, it's why it was a 5950x instead of a 7950x because we just didn't need the current gen. What we needed was more ram and storage.

It will definitely be fine, the site will not be updating the forum software, add-ons or anything of the nature, it's all server based entirely. Like Ghan said, the database, web server and other server necessities. The site itself is codelocked for December because I don't want to release or do anything new right now, I've been working on some major features that I want to release after Christmas.
From an IT consultant's point of view. NOBODY needs the current gen. It's just their way of putting out there to keep the "whales" coming in for the latest and supposedly greatest. I would still recommend keeping the server in-house if you have the space and ability. Both from longevity and profitability. Having something of your own costs you less in the long run.

NOBODY needs the current gen.

Pretty true, especially in a context like ours. If your org needs the newest stuff, you know who you are. :)

I would still recommend keeping the server in-house if you have the space and ability.

We have owned our own server hardware in the past and just paid to colo it, but that can be a bit of a double-edged sword. Any hardware failures are our problem at that point, so we either need to pay the hoster to fix it or go there ourselves. It might be cheaper to colo, but there is a convenience factor!

If you're seeing this message, the maintenance is done and we're on the new server.
Search is rebuilding now so searches will not return all the results that they should until that is complete.

Update: We discovered that the search index settings were not set correctly. I therefore have to rebuild it again. Should take about as long as last time - 45 minutes or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back