News & Updates Server Migration Saturday Morning (EST Time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey All,

We are upgrading our server this weekend on Saturday morning on 12/03/22, we can't give an exact time since there's always a bit of prep work to do before an actual live migration, no matter how much we prep, and we also need to wake up which can vary a little bit, but it should be before noon est. The migration should be rather quick, but assuming it's on the slow side or something goes wrong, we will safely give an estimate of 2-3 hours. We will have a page up

For those of you who like the technical side of things, the specs for the new server are in the spoiler.

AMD Ryzen 5950X 16 Core
128G RAM,
2x 3.84TB NVMe SSD

For those interested, our Discord server will be around, please feel free to join with the invite link at the top of the site or the sidebar on the forum index. While the site is down, there will be a message up that will automatically refresh every so often and if you leave the site up in a tab, the site will come back on its own when the migration is done.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to post below :)!

Can we expect broken code? These kinds of server/host changes sometimes bring with it that kind of thing which concerns me a tad.

Can we expect broken code? These kinds of server/host changes sometimes bring with it that kind of thing which concerns me a tad.

No. There is no software change for the site at this time. Just swapping hardware for hardware, no dataloss or anything.

No. There is no software change for the site at this time. Just swapping hardware for hardware, no dataloss or anything.

Got it, thanks for the answer! Also, is there any expected time (in hours) for the beginning of the update? And I assume "morning" here refers to morning in North America.

Got it, thanks for the answer! Also, is there any expected time (in hours) for the beginning of the update? And I assume "morning" here refers to morning in North America.

Yeah, EST time. Most likely an hour, I quoted 3 in case anything goes wrong. We are only just moving the site as it is from one server to another, the CPU of a newer generation (not the newest though) and we've gotten a not insignificent increase in ram and storage.

No problem, I'm sorry I can't give a more concrete time, sometimes we sleep in or something happens. It shouldn't take too long to start or finish.

No worries, I was just asking if you had any expectations. I do understand these types of things are prone to delays and not going entirely as planned.

No worries, I was just asking if you had any expectations. I do understand these types of things are prone to delays and not going entirely as planned.

Ghan Ghan will be performing the migration, so he might be able to give a better estimate.

This will not affect site functions, account data, and/or account information right?
I was wondering this too

No, it will all be fine. No data loss, software changes, or anything. The site will be the same it was before the downtime. We are upgrading the server physical hardware to a newer cpu, ram, higher capacity SSD storage.

No, it will all be fine. No data loss, software changes, or anything. The site will be the same it was before the downtime. We are upgrading the server physical hardware to a newer cpu, ram, higher capacity SSD storage.
Thank you!

This will not affect site functions, account data, and/or account information right?

There are some software version changes happening - we'll be moving to a newer version of both the database and the search system. These changes shouldn't cause any problems or result in any errors on the site, but as always, please report if you see any issues after the move.

The search system will likely not work properly immediately after migration while we rebuild the search index, so give that some time even after the site is back live.

Oh sorry, I guess I wasn't clear, I did read how long it would take, I was asking if you had any expectations for the hour in which it might start.

As for timing, that is mostly determined by how long it takes to move the database data. The files can be mostly pre-staged so that only the changes need to be synced during the migration period, but that's trickier to do with the database, so I typically move it all at once. I'm guessing the time where you'll be unable to post will be around an hour or so, but no guarantees.

There are some software version changes happening - we'll be moving to a newer version of both the database and the search system. These changes shouldn't cause any problems or result in any errors on the site, but as always, please report if you see any issues after the move.

The search system will likely not work properly immediately after migration while we rebuild the search index, so give that some time even after the site is back live.

As for timing, that is mostly determined by how long it takes to move the database data. The files can be mostly pre-staged so that only the changes need to be synced during the migration period, but that's trickier to do with the database, so I typically move it all at once. I'm guessing the time where you'll be unable to post will be around an hour or so, but no guarantees.

Right sorry, I meant as the forum software and site features, nothing will be changing.

But it is a new server and things will be updated. We will make an announcement after its done to make sure there aren’t any hiccups or any settings we need to tweak.

Will the link be different or can I still type rpnation. Com to find your guys site??? When you guys say migration it makes me thing it won’t be active anymore and you’ll have a new website to go by

Will the link be different or can I still type rpnation. Com to find your guys site??? When you guys say migration it makes me thing it won’t be active anymore and you’ll have a new website to go by

Same URL, everything will be fine :).

We are migrating the physical hardware, that is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back