• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Multiple Settings Seeking players for a postcyberpunk/fantasy RP about MMO players

TanteRegenbogen

Cuddly enby auntcle
Seeking players for the following roleplay:

In a future world that banned advanced AI and cracked down on careless corporate goons there is still desire to escape the boring reality and play video games. Recently, a virtual fantasy MMO with lifelike NPCs named PaRaopen had been release. The NPCs are engineered well enough to seem almost like real people, almost pushing what is legally allowed, yet not self-aware. Additionally, there are multiple servers including some where assisting cybernetic hardware is allowed in turn for higher difficulty.

Plot of the roleplay:

In a not too distant future, people still seek escape into virtual worlds. This future takes place in a city named Fujioka. Most people have some form of cybernetic enhancement, especially after advanced AI had been banned after a few close calls. So some occupation related cybernetics may be available in people.

You are one of the residents of Fujioka seeking escape in the newly released virtual fantasy MMO Pa'Raopen. You find party members quickly and eventually create a guild with them. The game is impressive, but it might be a little too realistic in terms of features with the ability to sense exhaustion and pain in-game and NPCs with real personalities and sharp tongues.

Eventually, you find out the party members live in the same city as you and you meet some in real life.

Fujioka: Fujioka is a large city with a bustling, multilevel city core. The city has plenty of opportunities for free time outside of the apartment and an excellent public transportation system. It is however not perfect as it is ruled by military semi-dictatorship, where while the citystate has an elected parliament, it is strictly overseen by the military leadership and bribeable politicians are severely punished. In worst cases, hits are put out on politicians found to be corrupt.

Population is around five million. Included in the citystate is about 25 km of farmland and forest around the city until you get to the border. In total, the citystate is around 3000 sqkm in size.

Plot of the game world:

You are thrown into a dangerous world full of magical creatures like slimes and dragons. You are however penniless, clothed in rags and no one seems interested in helping you. But you come across a hermit who tells you that you should craft your own weapon and learn how to make clothing from plant fibers. You immediately get to experience the death-resurrection system of the game as you are blindsided by a goblin who bonks you on the head. You reawaken inside the hermit's home. Since you don't know where you are, the hermit assumes you have amnesia and explains you are in the land of Pa'Raopen and that the land had been in turmoil for years, even before the hermit left civilization. Ultimately, he gives you a little tutorial on how to defend yourself and gives you some food for your travels to the next town. You are just sent in a general direction along a faint path through the forest. The town's name is supposedly Haruoka.

Game system:

-The game requires you to craft a lot, everything from food to weapons to personal homes.

-At the beginning the locations on the map are unknown to players but they can charter their own maps or buy map pieces in towns. Map pieces usually only show the main settlements and landmarks of the local area. Additional landmarks, player-made settlements, guild houses and dungeons can be marked on maps.

-Skills: There are various skills that can be levelled up. But there is an exception: Communication. Due to the nature of NPCs, players need to be polite to most NPCs. NPCs will demand higher prices for items from rude and aggressive players. And if players are belligerent enough, NPCs can outright refuse service to them.

Skill types:

-Food related: Cooking, Butchering, Brewing, Drink-Making, Food conservation, Vintnering (Wine making), Farming, Fishing, Confectionary making

-General: Collecting, Athletics (walking/running), Swimming, Climbing, Riding

-Crafting: Masonry, Carpentry, Roofing, Armorsmithing, Weaponsmithing, Blacksmithing (non-weapon/armor smithing), Stonecarving, Coal burning, Skinning, Leatherworking, Tailoring, Jewelmaking, Paving

-Magic: Enchaning, Fire magic, Water magic, Earth magic, Wind magic, (Earth+Water=Plant, Earth+Fire=Metal, Water+Wind=Ice), Light/Healing magic, Dark magic/necromancy, Summoning, Illusion magic, Enhancement magic (self-buffing)

Combat: Swordfighting, Martial arts, Axes, Thrown weapons, Marksmanship (bows, crossbows, gunblades, arcane rifles), Longarms (spears, pikes), Scythes (warscythes, chain scythes), shortblades (knives, short swords), large weapons (greatswords, greathammers), exotic weaponry, unarmored defense, armored defense, heavy armored defense

Bodily enhancements:
Due to cybernetics being so commonplace in the real world, players expect enhancements in game. These aren't cybernetic, but are presented as arcane enhancements in-game. The arcane enhancements are buyable magical contraptions and jewels that enhance the abilities of players.

Attributes:
Players have multiple attributes in-game. Strength, Hardness, Endurance, Speed, Intelligence, Stealth and Luck,

Strength determines damage of long blades, heavy weapons and can influence defense values and base inventory size.

Hardness determines damage that can be taken and how much damage being taken can be decreased. Also influences defense values.

Endurance influences actual in-game endurance and exhaustion and mild pain can be experienced by players in game.

Speed influences running and swimming speeds, but also influences damage values of short blades, thrown weapons and shot weapons.

Intelligence influence magical ability as well as some crafting skills. Higher intelligence can mean better quality crafts and better enchanting.

Stealth influences masking presences during sneaking and also influences silent weapons such as thrown weapons.

Luck influences loot drops. Better luck means a higher chance of finding better items and equipment.

Guilds:
Guilds can be founded if there are at least three founding members and if a fee of 50 silver is paid. Each guild is entitled to a guild house, but only one at a time. For small guilds without owned land, guild quarters can be rented. But with owned land, a guild house is the start of a guild town in which guild members can build personal homes around the guild house. Guild upgrades can be made to include merchants at the guild house, give members daily buffs, increase guild house features (such as a pub and an event hall) and increase the guild member limit. Maximum guild size is 500.

Money:
The money is divided into copper, silver, gold and platinum. 100 copper is one silver, 100 silver is one gold, 1000 gold is one platinum. So that means it takes ten million copper to gain one platinum coin.

If anything is unclear, I can answer questions and add upon what I have written for the roleplay.

The setting is interesting, but I have a few questions:

1. What type of plot are you going for? Is it going to be slice of life or will there be a larger, overarching storyline?
1. Is focus going to be primarily on the MMO or split between the real world and game world?
3. Will in game stats affect anything in the roleplay or do they exist for flavor?
4. How far into the future does this RP take place? Are we talking Cyberpunk 2077/Blade Runner level or just slightly ahead of modern day?

I might have more, but these are the ones off the top of my head.

This sounds really cool! Are you planning on this being a large group or a smaller group?

Steve Jobs Steve Jobs 1. Well sort of a dual plot with the real life plot being more of a slice of life, maybe even a little action/drama, while the in-game plot will be more action oriented.
2. the latter, yet it could be up to the participants whether they want to focus on the MMO more.
3. stats influence the roleplay marginally.
4. Like Cyberpunk 2077 level, maybe even a little further since it is postcyberpunk. Wouldn't call it cyberprep because it is still a suboptimal society setting, but nowhere near as dystopian as a classical cyberpunk setting.

4Frogsinawig 4Frogsinawig I am aiming for a manageable group size. Need at least three participants, optimally 5 or 6, no more than eight.

Nice, and for the fancy world is everyone human or do we have d&d or other fantasy races?

Well, I can only say you've got me mighty interested in this one.
I even have a few ideas for the character [at least for the mmorpg part of it], and i will include my serious tendency of RP'ing in mmorpgs into the mix making it possible that sometimes people mistake me for a NPC.
For a cup of shenanigans and good company.

Anyways, I actually made the RP threads before I made the recruiting thread.

So here is the characters thread. I linked it with the main thread and the out of character thread.

Bumping in case of emergency.
and to lessen the possible load from Aniihya.
For those wondering, yes there is still room to join the RP.

Well then. Do go ahead and make a character my friend. Whether it is accepted or not is up to Aniihya, but I don't think whatever you come up with won't fit the scheme enough for her to do that though.
And i do encourage you guys who are currently reading this to also try.
When any of you make your CS, and it gets accepted either i or Aniihya will give you invites to the discord server [its not a mandatory thing its just an alternate OOC and technically more organized than it could possible be here, but i hope you get the drift.]

Are we RPing on this site or will it be through Discord?

the rp is on this site, its just that we have two ooc one here on site, and additional one for those who want to on a discord server.
Although personally i do prefer the discord one, and don't worry any and all important things that are settled in the discord ooc will be posted in the ooc here probably by me or someone else.
and if you have questions then do ask them. if i know the answer i will gladly give it to anyone.
but do know that right now its nearly 4 in the morning where i live so i might not stay online for long.

Last edited:
Bump.
We are still recruiting people.
If any questions arise do ask away.
And for those who previously stated that they are interested i would like to know your status, as in are you just interested in the RP or are you interested and are joining the RP.

I'm still on the fence about joining. What will the posting requirements look like in terms of frequency and word count?

I'm still on the fence about joining. What will the posting requirements look like in terms of frequency and word count?
Usually if you need longer when it is your turn to post, please notify the others. After a week, we'd do an automatic skip. I'd say if someone gets held up and doesn't respond to DMs then a skip could be done after a three day grace period. Word count wise: Please no one liners. Usually I'd put the bare minimum at 80 words. Have had plenty of bad experiences with people who would literally write one sentence in Simple English and ultimately stop posting after like ten posts because no one can do proper interaction with one sentence posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back