Closed.

Be dismissive
Slowly, Clara felt her heartbeat calm down alongside her heavy breath. Instinctively, her hand weaved through the front of her raven hair with a shaky breath. Then she swung her legs over the side of the bed, groaning inwardly at the sound of Finch. Did he not understand she could care for herself? Despite her young age, she'd been apart of the war and wasn't anything close to naive. At least, she hoped people didn't view her as ingenuous.

The nightmare lingered in her mind, as she moved cautiously around the room getting ready, almost as if she were back on a battle field avoiding land mines. "Yeah, yeah," Clara responded towards the door, unsure if she was even loud enough to be heard. She didn't care much for what Finch told her what to do. Though she did get ready in a matter of minutes and swiftly exited her room.

Last edited:
"Please hurry." Came Finch's tired response through the doors.

Despite Clara's determination, her feet still shook as she walked about to get ready. Her ears were certainly not ringing with the sound of artillery, because that was not medically possible, but she started to develop a headache. The nightmares just wouldn't leave her alone.

The soldiers had arrived to find Pierce had bled to death beyond the prison walls, behind enemy mechs and she was unconscious and almost dead due to blood loss herself. As a result she was forcibly retired, despite only starting her army career. Nine months later peace was declared - peace without victory for either side. But she was recruited to Woodworth's irregulars after that, continuing to do tasks that mattered for her country, all was not so bad. Except on mornings like these.

David Finch waited for her by the doors as she continued dressing. Officially both of them were private detectives and he dressed as such. He glanced over her once, then once more, clearly reading the signs of the nightmare her face betrayed. That was his way, he simply had to analyse everything. But he did not speak about it, so it was all good.

aa68ec04929c726c853edc3a7a346db2.jpg

--

Nine minutes after he knocked on Clara's door, the pair of them were rattling through the streets in a cab. The fruit sellers were setting up their stands and the newsagents opening their shutters and the serving girls scrubbing their masters's front steps. They don't know it, but Arthur Woodworth and his operatives stood between them and harm.

- David Finch is your friend.
- David Finch is just a colleague.
- David Finch is a rival.

David Finch is just a colleague.
The cab was no smooth ride, each bump and rattle sending a spike of pain rushing through her head. Knowing her headache came from her intense nightmares only made the pain more unbearable. Clara hated recalling her time in the war, even if it was so short, as most of what she saw there was not positive in any way. And better than most, she knew of Vlaski's cruelty and how they mustn't be foolish enough to believe the state of peace truly was one. The war is simply a different kind.

Clara forcibly pulled herself from her thoughts, glancing over at Finch. Surely he could already tell this was one of her... bad mornings, as his job was to analyse and deduct. Thank goodness he was only a colleague, so he certainly wouldn't press any questions. They never really shared their personal lives, rather just worked together for the sake of Mercia. Her gaze returned to the streets as they drew closer to their destination.

"Consumed by your thoughts?" Finch inquired as they rode on the steamer. However, Clara did not get to respond as they had already reached their destination.

--

Woodsworth always claimed to be nothing more than a minor government official, but it was a miracle if anyone believed him. For one thing, no minor government official could afford suits as finely tailored as his.

847e0183c561d3128129ae329bd305bc.jpg

"There you are." He greeted the pair of Detectives in his office, stationed at the end of the endless tunnels and corridors of the financial neighbourhood, where all the buildings looked the same. If you wanted to hide your business from plain view, this was where you did it. "Come in, please." Woodsworth called as the two appeared on the doors of the office. There were two more people in there beside him - Mrs Lawrence, his secretary, and an unhappy-looking young man seated in a chair with his hands shackled on his lap and his ankles chained to the legs. It was quite an unusual setup.

Before he or Clara could say anything, Finch was the one to speak, in his usual cold and deductive manner.

"The shiny marks on the cuffs from the pressure of writing declare he works in an office, and his age and shabby attire suggest clerk rather than a more senior position. He is clearly in a great deal of trouble. Sabotage? Theft? Something related to the government, no doubt. Treason."

"Well, that's why you two are here." Woodsworth sighed, leaning across the table. "He is in custody for theft of important official documents, however he refuses to speak with anyone."

"Indoctrinated by the Sun Temple cultists or blackmailed? You believe he is a spy for the Vlaski Empire, is that correct?" Finch asked, but Woodworth simply waved him off.

"There's the boy. Find out by yourselves."

- Talk to the suspect.
- Talk to Finch.
- Talk to Woodsworth.

Talk to the suspect
Clara made an almost indistinct nod towards Woodsworth, before pulling up a chair in front of the male. It was easier to reason with people when you weren't intimidating them, but making them feel safe, make them feel they can be vulnerable and open with you. She leaned towards the suspect. "Look, I'm not sure if you've ever been in a situation like this," she started calmly, cautiously picking out her words, "but if you just give us all the information you can, you might not have to suffer." she finished with a combination of firmness and coolness, her soldier side being exposed. Leaning back into her chair, she quickly cleared her throat and crossed her legs. One thing she learnt from the war was how to act, pretend and tell people exactly what they wanted to believe and though she hated lying, she was too good at it. After all, she was a spy. Clara almost seemed to be the embodiment of hypocrisy.

Woodsworth spoke as she took the chair and sat in front of the suspect. "May I present to you the honourable George Easterly. Employed as a junior clerk in the Naval Department of Her Imperial Majesty's War Office. It is a position of great delicacy and responsibility, which he has proven himself unfit to hold. Last night he allowed a Vlaski agent working in Kingsford to examine and copy the plans for the Nigel-Trevelyan Glass."

Mr Easterly flinched at this accusation, his hazel eyes looking at Clara, like she could provide some sort of refuge.

"The Nigel-Trevelyan?" Finch said. "I have never heard of it."

"Of course you have not." Woodsworth waved again dismissively, a gesture he was very comfortable using. "It was among the War Office's most closely-guarded secrets. This miserable child was entrusted with one of only three keys! Not only did he take the documents, he let a Vlaski agent examine them! That is high treason."

Mr Easterly blinked a couple of times, then licked his lips, listening to both Woodsworth an Clara speak. In a shaky tone he answered, looking at Clara, as if she was the only one in the room. "All of this is true. I took the documents. But I planned on returning them after, I swear! But then the guards caught me." He frowned. He generally looked to be a in a very sad state.

There was still the matter of "why", though.

- Ask him gently.
- Ask him feigning kindness.
- Ask him coldly.
- Demand answers.

Ask him feigning kindness
Clara acknowledged the desperate glint in his eyes, almost as though he was pleading with her. It was clear she had to be the one to get this out of him, as he seemed to ignore everyone else around the room as he confessed the story. Though he only told her what they already knew. She leaned towards him again, looking into his eyes with warmth that wasn't truthfully there. Clara knew the power of finding another nations' secrets. "But why did you take them? You compromised the entire nation, as well as your occupational position." She momentarily paused, weaving worry into her tone. "Did the Vlaski agent threaten you in some way? Your family perhaps?"

"You don't understand!" Mr Easterly burst out. He looked at Woodsworth and Finch briefly before settling his wide-eyed gaze on Clara. "I-I was being blackmailed. My fiance, she…" He swallowed. "She's a sun-worshiper. She persuaded me. I went with her to a meeting and uh... they're good folk, ma'am. Nothing like what-what people say of them."

Woodsworth rose from his armchair, rubbing his forehead tiredly. "You joined their cult."

"It's not a cult!" Mr Easterly tried to protest, but then sighed. "Yes, I did. And-and... a man with a Vlaski accent stopped me as I walked home from work one night. He said i-if I did not help him, he would see to it my superiors discovered my conversion and you know sun-worshipers may not hold public office or any other position of responsibility. And there was my fiance to think of! We'd be shunned as well as penniless. It was my whole life. What else could I do?"

"You are a public servant. A servant of your Kingdom." Finch hissed in a voice dripping with contempt. "You should have put its welfare above your personal affairs."

"The agent got away." Woodsworth said with another tired sigh. "Hence your presence here. We need to hunt him down. He could not have gone far by now, these are the events of this morning. I agree with Detective Finch however, we cannot afford our sympathy in this matter."

- Agree with Finch.
- Agree and press Easterly further.
- Disagree and encourage Finch to lay off.

Agree and press Easterly further
She pursed her lips in distaste, both because of Easterly's alignment, and the twisted Vlaski agent. Sun-worshipers were looked down upon by most of the society, but she does understand the want to keep others safe. "We understand you want to protect yourself and your fiance, but will she, or anyone be safe if the security of our country is compromised?" Clara sighs, rubbing a hand on her forehead. However Easterly was still blackmailed by the agent, and could know more. "Did the agent tell you anything else about his plans?" Clara inquired, "Perhaps where he might be going?"

"I do not know!" Mr Easterly cried out, his eyes tearful. It was clear that he was a broken man.

"Whitley." Woodsworth stepped closer to Clara, then slightly touched her elbow, leading her out of the office. "Let's leave him with Detective Finch for a moment. I have something to talk to you about." His face was grave as he closed the doors of the office behind them, leaning closer to her in confidentiality. "The Nigel-Trevelyan Glass translates electromagnetic waves. To anyone wearing goggles or spectacles made from this glass, Lighteaters will show up as surrounded by an aura of blood red while the rest of the population appears to be surrounded by an aura of golden white. We will be able to identify them with a look only, Detective. You must see what this represents. You of all people must know what's at stake here."

Lieutenant Pierce and a handful of soldiers were kept in a Lighteater prison. They have endured the worst possible torture that could be inflicted on a living being. Their souls were drained little by little. This left no marks on the body, beside making the victim ghostly pale and without any gleam in their eyes, but it slowly took away their happiness, leaving them only the saddest of memories. Until at last it took away their whole being and the prisoners became empty husks, drooling vegetables. Pierce had a smile on his face when he died. Because, despite everything, he was finally away from that horrible place.

But there was another thing to take into consideration. Clara's great-grandmother was sun-touched. She had the gift of healing, because not all sun-touched were Lighteaters. Her grandmother was a gentle person who took care of the sick who could not afford doctors. Yet people were still afraid of her. And after the war with Vlask Empire, the fear of sun worship grew even worse.

There was a slight possiblity that Clare had something of her great-grandmother's sun-touched genes, even though she never tried to heal anyone with or without medical equipment. What if her aura would show as blood red under the Glass?

- Be thrilled with the idea of Glass.
- Be afraid of it.
- Be interested with how it works scientifically.

Be interested with how it works scientifically.
Clara shook her head in disappointment, for Easterly had made a costly mistake, regarding the safety of his country. Her gaze settled on Woodsworth, as she stood to follow him. "Of course." she followed him into the office, her green eyes focusing on his own. In the first few moments that Woodsworth explained, Clara's thoughts were bleak, but they morphed into ones of curiosity. "I do." Clara replied grimly, "But how does such a device work? Perhaps we could find a way to counteract the effects?" With the truth laid out in front of her, Clara's mind wandered to places she tried to avoid - her great-grandmother.

Clara hated the use of magic, and personally detested her great-grandmother for utilizing her gift, despite the fact it helped people. Thus, Clara had never tried to dig up any power she might've gained from her sun-touched grandmother, and she'd never had signs of a gift either. The likelihood her aura would appear red was slim, and even if it was, Clara hoped people saw her as the ambitious person she tried to be. "But why are you telling me this, and not Finch?" she asked, confusion painted on her features.

"The Glass is supposed to detect Lighteaters specifically. Nigel and his student Trevelyan determined that certain habitual behaviors create subtle changes in electromagnetic wave frequency. Specifically, the appalling practice of light-eating will, over a long enough period of time, noticeably shorten the frequency of the practitioner's electromagnetic waves. As for actually using it to combat Lighteters, well, I'm afraid we haven't gotten that far." Woodsworth explained.

Those were good news. It meant that the Glass would be focused on those who abused the power of Sun, and not on those who used it for healing only, or who never used it, but may have the gift.

"May you two return here?" The doors of the office creaked open and Finch peaked out. His top hat was held in his hand and he looked to be a bit out of breath. "I have pacified our traitor." He said impassively.

Back in the office, Mr Easterly was slumped against his restraints but have shown no signs of any injuries. Whatever Finch did to him was not visible. The Detective took the copy of The Times and waved it in front of Clara's face.

"This is how he communicated with the Vlaski agent. Coded advertisements in the Personals column. You see the one signed with 'D'? That stands for Dmitri. The agent. Now all we have to do is have Mr Easterly here write an advertisement to this Dmitri. A place and time. And we'll have him."

"I will not." Mr Easterly mouthed, his expression suddenly rebellious. Perhaps Finch was not that successful in his efforts after all.

- Speak with Easterly and try to get him to cooperate.
- Offer to write the coded message on your own.
- Let Finch get Easterly to cooperate.

Offer to write the coded message on your own
Clara nodded to Woodsworth's explanation, marveling at how someone had created such a invention. There was also a slight wave of relief, knowing because she'd never tried to use what may have been gifted to her by her great-grandmother, that she wouldn't be affected by the Glass. Her head snapped to Finch, and followed him out of the office to see Easterly sitting dejectedly.

She grasped The Times out of Finch's hand, holding it steady as she surveyed the message. It was common for these secret engagements to utilize the paper, in fact, she'd been trained in how to do it. "Do you have any more examples of the messages? I could study them and form one in his language," she gestured to Easterly, who clearly wasn't keen on writing one himself, "It shouldn't be too difficult."

After a long pause, Woodsworth nodded. "Well, you wold know the best. Detective Finch can help you rummage through the papers. But, do hurry with writing." He fixed Easterly with his cold grey eyes. "He will be transported to prison, awaiting trial."

Easterly looked genuinely frightened with that notion. After a moment he only slumped in his restraints further.

"Thank you, Detectives." Woodsworth said picking up a pen. "Now then. We can get this into the morning editions if we waste no further time."

--

With Finch's help, Clara was able to study the written messages between the agent and Easterly. It took them a couple of hours to come up with a coded message that would be plausible.

After the column was written Woodsworth dismissed both of the Detectives to go home and wait for his call. Once Dmitri was baited, they would meet again and plan on his capture. In the meantime, Clara had the whole afternoon to herself.

"Tea?" Finch offered as they stepped out of the agency. He frowned at the gathering grey clouds.

- Spend the afternoon with Finch.
- Walk alone through Kingsford.
- Go home.

Spend the afternoon with Finch
Clara was proud of the final outcome, and was even happier knowing that it was going to help her catch a criminal. Though a shred of doubt was cast in her mind, what if the agent knew it wasn't Easterly? She shook the thought away, they'd catch this agent, no matter what. It was for the sake of her country.

She returned a small smile. "Sure," she paused, taking in a large breath of the air. It wasn't exactly fresh, but it was still clean enough. "Do you have anywhere in particular you'd like to go?" Clara didn't drink tea often, mainly due to the lack of it that was available, both in her childhood and when she served.

"A tea shop, just around the corner."

Finch offered a slight bow as he gestured at her to proceed forward down the sidewalk. They walked for just a couple of brief moments in silence, when Finch stopped in front of a tea house opening the doors for Clara to walk in.

As soon as they sat at the table, Finch broke the silence. "Lighteating. It is becoming a more frequent subject with each passing day." He removed his top hat and placed it on the table. Then his eyes focused on Clara, gaze unwavering like it was when he analysed one of their suspects. It was a gaze that could see right through a person. At times, Clara thought that he Finch was always able to tell when someone was lying. "How do you feel about this?" He asked, without much sentiment or curiosity, though there was a faint speck of warmth in his tone.

- Answer positively.
- Confide.
- Refuse to answer.
- Change the subject.

Answer positively.
Even if it seemed Finch could easily deduce her lie, Clara chose to do it anyways. She stayed silent for a few moments, with pursed lips and thought about how she could avoid the question best. The mention of a lighteater sent shivers rattling down her spine, and made the memories of Lieutenant Pierce flash violently and painfully in her mind. "Indeed." her green-eyed gaze locked confidently with Finch's, "As we understand them more, we should, theoretically be able to defend society. Though we've yet to see if there's anything we can do about them." she placed her hands on top of one another on the table, leaning forward slightly. "Do you have any opinion?" Clara redirected the question, trying to pry Finch's attention away from analyzing her.

Finch did not comment on her reaction, but the wheels and cogs were turning in his head as they always did. Whether he did not persist on the subject out of politeness or disinterest, she could not know yet, she was not that familiar with the Detective. They have been living in the same flat for almost a year now. Woodsworth was the one who insisted on it, simply due to his own convenience. Thus, if he wanted both of them to come to the office he did not need to track either of them down separately. Good thing was that Woodsworth paid for it, so at least Clara did not have any expenses on that account. God knew that her paycheck was not glorious.

"They are a plague that needs to be fought." Finch said with a slight crease in his forehead.

They were interrupted by the appearance of the serving girl who came to take their order.

"Mint tea." Finch ordered, not taking the menu to look at what else was on it. He always drank mint tea, in every circumstance. Their whole flat smelled of mint at times.

The server scribbled the order on a paper and left with a polite not and a smile.

"I have never seen you shoot." Finch threw another unexpected subject her way. "Do you even know how to do it?" While Clara was in the Imperial Army, she was part of the Infiltration Corps where training in handling a gun was only basic.

- But Clara's a natural crack shot.
- She learned to shoot well enough still.
- She never learned how to shoot.

But Clara's a natural crack shot.
Clara turned her head away from Finch and followed the server with her gaze up towards their table. Though before she could get a word in, Finch made the order. It almost made her chuckle, the underlying smell of mint that persistently could be found in their shared flat was something she would not soon forget. "Mint tea it is, I suppose." Clara murmured more to herself, with a slight grin. She glanced back up towards Finch as he began a completely separate conversation.

The female had an interest in learning how to handle all sorts of weapons. Unexpectedly, she was a natural in many of them, and along with her quick learning, Clara surprised many with her ability to shoot, or use any weapon she had access to. She managed to let a small smirk play on her lips, "I think you'd be quite shocked to know I'm a pretty good shot." However, thoughts lingered, why, only now was he asking these questions? And why did they seem so scattered?

"You will need it tomorrow." Finch stated simply. "When we face the Vlaski agent."

--

That night, Clara and two other operatives gathered at the empty house Easterly and Dmitri have been using to meet, and settled down to wait. Woodsworth's summons were different than usual, especially because he split Finch and her up. He never did it before.

Now she was forced to sit without a fire, and the night was bitter cold. The rain did not stop falling the whole day. Her feet grew numb within her boots, forcing her to shift gently, silently, trying to keep the blood flowing. Finally midnight tolled, making her get up.

The other operatives were doing the same, although Clara could not see them. Stevenson waited at the end of the darkened corridor. Morris, the strongest of the three of them, was stationed within the study, behind the door, from which position he would hopefully be able to subdue Dmitri the instant the Vlaskesar steps through the doorway.

Down below, the back door creaked open.

If Clara did not know that the man climbing the stairs was Finch disguised as George Easterly, she would never be able to guess. The masquerade was perfect. The dark lantern trembled in his deliberately shaking hand, making the light dance in a way that obscured rather than illuminated. Clara could not really see the Vlaski spy climbing the stairway behind him. Dmitri followed Finch into the study and Clara suddenly became aware of the metal of the gun at her hip.

Finch unshuttered the lantern fully at the same moment Morris sprung. Morris tackled the Vlaskesar half to his knees, one arm across his throat...

But Dmitri whirled before Morris could establish the chokehold. He was a big man, but Clara had never seen anyone move that fast, ever. Morris gave an odd little gasp, crumpling, and the Vlaskesar was sprinting for the stairway before the operative hit the floor.

Finch spat a loud curse following at a dead run. The flash of his lantern as he went by showed a knife sticking out of Morris's chest, the blood welling up around the hilt.

- Run to help Morris.
- Tell Morris not to pull the knife out, then sprint after Dmitri.
- Tell Morris not to pull the knife out, then quietly slip through the back doors, using the shadows to your advantage.

Tell Morris not to pull the knife out, then quietly slip through the back doors, using the shadows to your advantage.
Clara wiggled her toes in her shoes, and her fingers intertwined each other, both to distract herself from the oncoming dangers and try to block out the cold. But seeing her breath in front of her materialize and dissipate caused her to tremble slightly in the coolness of the night. As soon as Clara saw both Finch and Dmitri appear, adrenaline began to pump through her blood. She watched the scene before her go sour, and though, she would once widen her eyes in horror at the knife buried in Morris' chest, she stayed scarily calm. "Don't take it out. You'll lose more blood that way," her eyes locked with Morris', pleading with him. "Just hold on."

Finch was already chasing after him, so there was no point in her following. Clara slipped into the darkness to see if there was another way to catch Dmitri.

Morris nodded, a pained grimace on his face, not strong enough to speak. Capturing the enemy was Clara's first duty, though, she would have to hope that Morris survived long enough to get help later.

She slipped through the back doors, into the dark alleys, just in time to see Dmitri running through the connecting alley, right in front of her. Finch was on his heels, flinging the lantern aside, while operative Stevenson followed behind him. Finch threw caution to the wind flinging himself forward, and he and Dmitri clattered and clash and tumble to the ground. Stevenson joined the fray and the three men are on the cobbles in a tangle of limbs. It was difficult to discern who was who in the darkness of the alley.

- Aim the gun and shoot at Dmitri.
- Shout to distract Dmitri.
- Fling yourself into the fray.

Aim the gun and shoot at Dmitri.
Clara pulled the gun from the sling at her hip, aiming carefully in the dark. Whilst her shooting skills were good, she had some doubts in the back of her mind if she could do it in the dark. However, there was no better option. She had to stop Dmitri from getting away, and Clara chose to block out what the consequences of her missing might be. She held the gun steady, and with a deep breath, took the shot.

A tactic that had worked often for Clara in the past, but unfortunately it didn't work this time. Her gun misfired and the bullet his the cobblestones, ricocheting in the alley, but thankfully not hitting anyone on her side. Dmitri was momentarily distracted, but recovered quickly as he pushed Stevenson off, sending him clattering against the cobbles.

His hand slapped onto Finch's face and Finch froze instantly. Dmitri looked up at Clara with a smile that chilled her blood. Time seemed to stop. Finch hung rigid in his grasp, as though paralysed, but Stevenson stirred. Dmitri looked over at him, snarling in annoyance, and releasing Finch. The Vlaskesar sprung to his feet, deciding that there were too many of them to handle and escaping into the night. With a choked sound of rage, Stevenson hurried off in pursuit.

Finch was leaning against the wall, as though dizzy. Visible in the poor light of the lantern on the cobbles, livid against the pale skin of his face, was a red handprint. For a moment, in Clara's eyes, the handprint on Fiches faces merged with the remembered handprint on Pierce's.

- Be angry.
- Be sad.
- Be scared.
- Be thrilled with the challenge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back