• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Searching For a Better Forever (with Nefertari)

BeautifulLoser

hello friend
"I had to lose you to love me."

1635787220286.png1635787286892.png

BASICS
NAMELawrence 'Ren' Hershall
AGE26
HEIGHT5'8
BUILDSomewhat muscular, but rather toned out and smaller framed
OCCUPATIONAccountant
HISTORY:
Ren has always been a fly under the radar kind of guy. He wasn't a popular guy in high school, but he also wasn't an outcast. He knew almost everyone, and everyone seemed to know him, but he was never really that close with anyone. Outside of his best friend, he never really wanted to spend his time with anyone else. He started off as a receptionist at the company he works for now, and after going to school, he now works as the lead accountant. He enjoys his job and most of the people he works with and stays in his hometown, but has hopes to eventually move out of the city and start somewhere new. The only thing that stops him from moving is his parents and his best friend, who he couldn't imagine leaving anytime soon.

PERSONALITY:
Ren's personality is often at times nurturing. He is a friendly guy that can get along with and always gives everyone the benefit of the doubt. He keeps to himself but is always willing to help anyone out, train new hires, work extra hours, and just be there for anyone he can. He has commitment issues, which explains the reason why he doesn't have a girlfriend.

Deep dish pizza, mint chocolate chip ice cream, cheese curls, tacos, math, learning new things, dancing, Red Hot Chili Peppers (band), and going to concerts.

DISLIKES:
Vanilla ice cream, Chemistry, Loud people, waking up early, physical sports, sci-fi movies, DC comics, heights, and spicy foods.​

“I felt it shelter to speak to you” - Emily Dickinson

Brown-hair-girl-face-freckles_iphone_750x1334.jpgunnamed-6.jpg

BASICS
Name Madgalena 'Lena' Cohen
Age 25
Height 5'6"
Build Long, wavy brown hair / Blue-green eyes / Freckles / Slim build, stronger than her petite frame would suggest
Occupation Public Relations Manager

History:
Lena's past is a dark place that she has spent her entire life moving past. Watching her father consistently abuse her mother made her weary of relationships, and so she poured all her energy into school and extracurriculars. She left high school with a 4.0 GPA, and moved out of her house on graduation day. The only time she returned home was to bury her mother, during her sophomore year of college, and it was during that visit that she swore off all men for good, refusing to let herself become the victim like her mother. Finishing college at the top of her class, she found herself a job within the same corporation as Ren, enjoying the fact that she gets to work so closely to the only man she's ever trusted.

Personality:
Lena has always been the girl next door type. Bubbly and sweet, she's always made friends everywhere she went. As a child and into her teens, that bubbliness, and her pretty looks, easily kept her in with the popular crowds, though she preferred to spend her time with her best friend, Ren. As an adult, her outgoing attitude and positive demeanor led her to a career of public relations. She can generally smooth over any issue that arises with the company's clients. She'll go out of her way to help those in need, and has the tendency to give people more chances than they deserve. Her heart is too big and too kind for a cruel world, but instead of becoming jaded, she insists on making her little corner of the world a better place.

Brownies, pasta, spicy foods / Vintage clothes and music / Refurbishing old furniture / Long road trips

Dislikes:
Pineapple, peanut butter / Close-minded or mean people / Traveling by plane

Lena smiled her thanks to the waiter as he brought a round of drinks over to their booth, her blue-green eyes alight with happiness. It had been a good day.. a good week, for that matter. Work was amazing, as always. She loved her job, loved that she felt like she was making a real difference. Each day, she worked to make someone's life a bit easier, and that was something to be proud of. And to add to her happiness, she had met the most amazing guy. Normally, work relationships were completely off limits, and for good reason, but Vince didn't technically work with her.. just with the construction company that partnered with her company. So.. loophole. And it was a good loophole, because he was, in a word, dreamy.

Vince had come into her life in a way that made her toss her 'no dating' rule right out the window. He had an effect on her from the moment he'd said hello. With his nearly black eyes that seem to see right into her soul, and strong arms that held close to him so protectively, it was hard not to be completely smitten. Sure, she might be a little head over heels, since he was her first real boyfriend. She'd dated, of course, but had never let anything last for more than a few weeks. As soon as they started getting attached, she'd cut the cord. But not with Vince. He was so charming and outgoing, it hadn't even occurred to her to end things. They'd been dating now for almost two months, and she was still just as happy as day one.

Lifting her glass to her lips, she takes a slow sip of her wine, looking over the rim to her best friend. Ren sat across from her in the booth, and as she lowers her glass, her smile grows. This was their tradition, Friday night drinks at their favorite little hole in the wall restaurant, sharing an appetizer or two while they drink and talk about the week. Dating Vince hadn't changed that much, except now she had more to talk about. Though, she did try to keep the talk of her love life to a minimum for Ren's sake. No one liked a braggart. They had been best friends for as long as she could remember, and she knew she could tell him anything, but still.. she didn't like to rub in the fact that she had someone and he didn't. Besides, that someone would be joining them soon and could speak for himself.

In two months, Ren and Vince hadn't met once. Work kept them all busy, and every time they planned a get together, something else came up. So, tonight was the big night, and Lena, for one, was excited. A little nervous, if she was being honest with herself, but still excited. The two most important men in her life were finally meeting, and she hoped they'd like each other. It was important for her for them to get along, because the thought of losing either of them was terrifying in a way she didn't like to think about.

Reaching across the table, she rests her hand atop his, brushing her thumb lightly along the ridges of his knuckles. "Hey.. thanks for agreeing to this, Ren." Her smile is warm and genuine, a lifetime of affection clear in her gaze. "It should be fun, don't you think?" As she asks this, a glimmer of hope appears in her eyes, and she gives his hand a little squeeze, catching her bottom lip between her teeth.

The work day for Ren had been just like any other. Due to his smaller, yet more important role in the company, he only had to come into work on a limited amount of days. He found a schedule that works best for him - Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays. Whenever payroll was due, he would work Wednesdays to ensure everyone got not only paid on time, but more often than not, paid early. He was good at what he did, that much he knew. Ultimately accounting was the same process over and over and over, and he had gotten it to a fine science. He watched out for the company’s spending on days he wasn’t doing payroll, and tried to ensure that they were on track. It was a rather boring job to most, but Lawrence needed that consistency and a firm, mostly unchanging schedule. It left him to his own devices once the job was done, and he got paid to do something he enjoyed. It didn’t get much better than that, in Lawrence’s eyes.

Working Fridays meant that he got to continue the weekly tradition with his best friend, Lena. It had been a tradition since they both started working together and were the legal drinking age to go out with real ID’s, not their fake ones. It took some bar hopping to find the bar that best spoke to them and they’ve gone to this one ever since. They got their fair share of happy hours, learned what waiters they liked best, and ultimately shared a lot of laughs and even frustrated cries in their usual booth. So, this Friday was no different. He knew that he had to hold onto these moments and cherish them, as he expected these moments to start to fizzle out. Lena had found a man that she seemed to be rather serious with already, and it wasn’t in his DNA to get pissy when it came to his friend maybe choosing her boyfriend over time with him. It was the way life went - as having a best friend of the opposite gender never really sat well with anyone.

He was happy for Lena, of course he was. It was good to see her happy and to have something to talk about. He didn’t mind hearing about this new guy and talking about him, despite never having met him. That was going to change tonight, as it would be the first time he would meet this guy outside of what Lena had told him. Of course it was Lawrence writing some of his paychecks and watching the spending they did on the projects they did together, but everyone was difference inside and outside of work. So Lawrence was excited to draw his own conclusions on the guy that seemed to make Lena happy. That was all that mattered - Lena‘s happiness.

As Lena put her hand ontop of his, he looked across the table at her. With a nod of his head, he smiled at her. “Yeah, not a problem.” He smiled at her. “Maybe if I eventually find my own woman, it will be fun to do double dates and stuff like that.” He had been in the dating game far too long, and he knew it was his own doing. No woman was ever really the right fit. Either they lived too far away, worked too much, were talking about kid’s names on the first date, were too hung up on their ex, and the list went on. He enjoyed being a bachelor for the most part, albeit, he did get lonely from time to time. He wouldn’t tell Lena that, though. As she seemed hopeful for the meeting and greeting, he agreed with her. “Should be fun, yes.” He smiled in her direction.

It was then that he felt a presence over his shoulder and looked to the right to see a man nearly standing over them. Lawrence removed his hand from being under Lena’s, and he moved it to shake an extended hand. “You must be Vince,” he said as he shook the man’s all too overbearing and tight of a handshake. The man hardly acknowledged Lawrence as he moved over towards Lena, a small bouquet of flowers in his hand that he presented to her before he slid into the booth next to her and planted a kiss on her cheek. “Hey love,” he smiled at her. “How was work?” He asked as he wrapped his free arm around her. “Figured I’d get some flowers to commemorate meeting the best friend Lena has told me so much about.” He only momentarily glanced over at Lawrence before he looked back at Lawrence.

Lena’s eyes brightened as Vince arrived and he slid into the booth beside her, kissing her cheek. It warmed her all the way to her toes, an expression of happy surprise overcoming her features when he extended the flowers to her. “Oh, Vin.. they’re beautiful.” After taking a moment to inhale their sweet aroma, she set the bouquet on the table beside her, then scooted closer to Vince, resting her hand on his thigh. “Work was.. work.” She laughed softly, giving a little half shrug as she reached for her glass with her free hand. "I'm glad it's over and that we don't have to worry about it for a few days."

Taking a sip of her drink, she sighed happily into her glass. She did love her job, but she loved her weekends too, and this one was all the more special, as she was able to share it with not just one, but both of her favorite men. She planned on enjoying it to the fullest, starting with a few too many drinks, some good food, and lots of laughter and friendly conversations. “Do you want to wave down the waitress, babe? I need a refill. We can get you a beer.. and maybe an appetizer for the three of us to share? I was thinking potato skins, or maybe some of those cheese wedges.”

Her blue-green gaze, warm and happy, was drawn across the table to settle on Lawrence, and she quirked a curious brow at him, a half-grin on her red painted lips. “What do you think, Ren?”

Ren had to admit it was hard seeing Lena all cuddled up against another man. Him and Lena were always caught in the whiplash of never being in the right place at the right time. Whether he was having casual flings while she was single, then her getting into a relationship while he was single, it was always that feeling of just never getting it right. He was happy for her, of course. She looked happy and ultimately that was all that mattered to him. With a small sigh he quickly averted his attention from the love birds that were laughing, flower giving, kisses on the cheeks, hands on one another. He made it look as if he was looking for the beers on draft, slowly but surely trying to decide on what he wanted.

Vince looked over at Lena as she mentioned more drinks and getting greasy food. He shifted slightly and looked over at her. “Maybe you should slow down on the drinks tonight.” He shrugged his shoulders. “Don’t want you getting sloppy and making an ass out of yourself.” He said bluntly. “Maybe some wine to simmer it down and a salad?” He suggested as he plucked the menu from the side of the table and began to browse through it. He looked over at the menu, then Lena before he placed a kiss on her cheek. “We probably shouldn’t get into eating some greasy food anyway, not good for you.” He said lowly before he turned his attention to Lawrence who sat across from him.

Lawrence didn’t like this in the slightest. He knew Lena didn’t like wine and she certainly didn’t like salads. On most days the girl could put down more food than her could, a constant running joke between the two. “Potato skins sound great.” He said with a shrug of his shoulders. Was this guy really going to make her go hungry? Was he being for real? He shook his head and then looked at Lena. “You want potato skins and more drinks you should get them.” He said as he tried to ignore the stare that Vince gave him. “You did have a good day at work, so you may as well celebrate it. Don’t want to let those celebratory flowers get drowned out by a boring salad.” He reached to grab his beer and finish off the rest of it.

”Easy now.” Vince warned Lawrence. “I think I know what is best for my girl, right Lena?” He looked over at her.

A different kind of heat touched Lena's cheeks then. It wasn't a blush of happiness or delight like the others had been, but one of embarrassment. Vince had made little comments like that before, about her weight, or her diet, but she'd never expected to say something in public, in front of Ren. And sloppy? Lena had never been a sloppy drunk in her life. If anything, she got more giggly and bubbly, but not sloppy. She didn't make an ass out of herself... did she? The very idea made her cheeks darken further, and quietly, shamefully, she pushed away her glass, despite it only being her first drink of the night.

Ren, in typical Ren fashion, came to her defense, of course, because he was just that guy. Loyal almost to a fault, and far more kind than she probably deserved. It made a smile want to quirk up one corner of her mouth, but before it could, Vince was looking at her to take his side and the smile died before it had a chance to be born. "Uh.." It was barely even a word, but it held a world of uncertainty, and she blinked at him for a heartbeat or two. What was she supposed to do, get in between the two of them five seconds after they'd met? Taking Ren's side would surely piss of Vince, and she wanted tonight to go well.. she needed it. Ren would understand.. she hoped.

"Right." She said, swallowing the uncertainty she felt and plastering a sweet smile on her lips. "You're always right, Vin." Straightening slightly, a touch of tension crept into her shoulders, though she did her best to not give it away. "Salad and wine... my favorite."

Liar. She hated wine. And salad. She wasn't a freaking rabbit. She liked meat, and cheese, and pasta. And rum. Fruity drinks with hard liquor that made the edges of the world a little fuzzy and soft and left her stomach warm and happy. Wine made her sick and gave her headaches. But... Vince was always right. She patted his thigh, bumping his hip lightly with her own. "Let me out, and I'll go make an order for us. So you don't have to get up."

Vince just waited for the stupid man across from him to make some kind of smartass remark, to go against him and to try to get Lena to order whatever she wanted. He knew she probably expected him to pick up the tab, to pay for drinks like a normal guy would, but he wasn’t going to pay for pretty boy’s cheap, light beer, and he wasn’t going to support his girlfriend’s habits. It was almost fun to see her agree with him, to lock in and hang onto his every word. He had to make sure that she stayed far away from this guy. He thought back to her hand on his before he arrived. Were they sleeping together? The thought made his anger bubble upward through to the tops of his ears. He would talk about it later, not here. Not with the devil that could sit on her shoulder and come to her defense. The woman needed to toughen up and hold her ground. Vince knew what was best for her. She even said it. As she said he was always right, he smiled and kissed her cheek. “That’s my girl.” He applauded.

As she went to stand up, he moved just enough to let her out. “Remember,” he said as she brushed past. “Wine and salad only. Order me a steak and fries. And some whiskey. You know what I like.” He gave her arm a squeeze before he moved into the booth again and reached over, finishing off the rest of Lena’s drink. “God, that’s terrible,” he stuck his tongue out before he pushed the glass towards the end of the table. He studied Lawrence for a long moment, not saying anything. He couldn’t be bothered with a man like him. Pretty boy who didn’t know how to get his hands dirty, didn’t know how to work hard, and sat in front of a checkbook all day.

Lawrence felt the tension that bubbled between the trio. He knew Lena didn’t like beer and wine, and he knew she was uncomfortable. She didn’t mean what she said, did she? Those things were never her favorite. They were far from it. He shifted awkwardly before he moved to stand up as soon as she was gone. “I’m probably going to head out.” Lawrence decided as he threw money on the table and left enough for a tip. “Have some work to do tonight for another project.“ He lied as he slid his jacket on. “I’m gonna go say goodbye to Lena and then head out. Was nice meeting you.” A bold-faced lie.

“Keep your hands to yourself when you see her, yeah pretty boy?” Vince smirked as he watched Lawrence leave but kept a close eye on him as he approached Lena. “Hey,” Lawrence said to her as he tried not to touch her or even brush past her. “I’m gonna head home,” he said awkwardly. “I left some cash on the table for my beer... just text if I didn’t leave enough, as I left cash for a tip. If I’m off, I’ll just send you some money to cover the rest.” He said as he took a long look at her, “Maybe you should come over later so you can get fed food you actually like.” He suggested. “We can do greasy Chinese and some ice cream. I know you’ll have a headache with that wine.” He looked over at Vince, “Up to you. I’ll see you Monday, otherwise.”

Lawrence felt so small in comparison to men like Vince. He hated this feeling and had to remind himself that he wouldn’t go out with Lena and Vince. Not unless he had someone else with him.

Lena had simply nodded her understanding in response to Vince’s order, slipping past him and walking over to the bar. The girl behind the register had asked her to wait a moment, so she leaned her elbows on the countertop, looking at the tv in the top corner of the room without actually seeing it. She was more looking through the screen, running Vince’s words through her mind again and again. She was embarrassed, humiliated that this is how things were turning out. What would Ren think? Would he even say anything about it? Would she want him to? Honestly, part of her just wanted to forget the whole thing, to call the evening a night, apologize profusely to her friend for this horrible mistake she had made, and go home. But how would that look? She knew the answer… it would look like she was running with her tail tucked between her legs, like she was a coward, just because Vince has made a snarky remark about her dinner. She sighed and told herself to get a grip. The evening didn’t have to be ruined. She could place his order, and hers too, and go back to the table with her head held high. She could still salvage this. The thread of determination starting to weave itself around her heart quickly dissipated as she heard Ren’s voice to her side and she turned to see an uncomfortable look on his face.

She certainly hadn’t expected him to leave early, but that was exactly what he was doing. A frown pulled at her features, confusion and disappointment showing through her blue-green eyes. It seemed he’d had the same idea she did. Cut and run before things got worse. No.. she wanted him to stay, to help her make it better, but her gaze followed his to where Vince was still sitting at the table, watching them, and her stomach sank. There was a look on his face, possessive and almost predatory, and she understood. Ren didn’t want to be around a man like Vince, not when he was clearly marking his territory like a dog. God, it would have been less embarrassing if he just peed on her. She sighed again, soft and resigned and looked back at Ren, giving him a small nod. “Okay… thanks.” She offered him a soft smile, reaching out to touch his shoulder briefly before the waitress returned and asked for her order. Biding Ren a goodnight, she turned to the woman, reciting Vince’s order, though she forwent her salad, knowing she’d never eat it.

The rest of the weekend was, in a word, rough. The night went downhill faster than she could keep up with, starting with her sitting beside Vince while he scarfed down his dinner and she nursed a glass of wine that she genuinely hated it. The moment they’d gotten back to her place, an argument had broken out, and over what? The most ridiculous idea imaginable.. He accused her of sleeping with Ren, his suspicions spurred on by her holding his hand, and touching his shoulder when he’d left for the evening. It was a ridiculous accusation, and the fight that followed lasted well into the night. At first, she couldn’t even begin to think he was serious, and she’d tried to laugh it off, which had the same effect as throwing fuel onto flame. Then she’d tried to convince him that he was wrong, swearing up and down that she’d never be disloyal to him, that Ren was just her friend, but he wasn’t having it. Finally, around three in the morning, he’d left, slamming the door behind him so hard that the apartment shook, and with a raging migraine, Lena collapsed into bed, her heart heavy and her mind full.

Ren had been her friend for as long as she could remember. They’d grown up in the same town, gone to school together, ate lunch together everyday. He had always been there; sharing his bed every time she’d run away from the fighting at home, holding her hand during every minute of her mother’s funeral, answering every call every time she felt the darkness creeping in. He was her best friend, the only man she could truly count on, the only person who saw through the happy outgoing exterior and knew the woman underneath. And Vince seemed intent on destroying that, but she didn’t understand why.

She fell asleep with tears on her pillow, and stayed in bed all of Saturday and Sunday, her phone off and her door locked. Come Monday morning, she didn’t feel like going to work, but she pushed the blankets off and made herself get ready. Vince might be able to break up her friendships, but he wouldn’t take her career. Besides, she knew he would be on site today, so there was no risk of running into him. Ren, on the other hand… worked Mondays and had already mentioned seeing her. She couldn’t avoid him, she knew that, but as she made her way into the office, wearing black slacks, matching heels, and a white blouse, she told herself to just keep her cool. He didn’t need to know about the fight, or about Vince’s accusations. So, as she set her purse down and got to work, she plastered a smile on her lips, one that she had perfected over the years… soft, happy, and giving off the impression that there wasn’t a single thing wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back