Advice/Help Seach Threads: General or specific?

MechanicalSnake

Like the Moon, part of him was always hidden away.
I have a very simple question today, seeing as I have had lousy luck here mostly.
When you post a search thread, what has worked better for you?
- Post specific threads for each fandom/plot/idea you have, with a specific name?
- Post general threads with all your ideas, fandoms and plots? (In this case, how did you name the thread to summarize and attract attention?)

I have a very simple question today, seeing as I have had lousy luck here mostly.
When you post a search thread, what has worked better for you?
- Post specific threads for each fandom/plot/idea you have, with a specific name?
- Post general threads with all your ideas, fandoms and plots? (In this case, how did you name the thread to summarize and attract attention?)

So you actually can’t do idea one. It’s considered spam. And you run the risk of one or more of your threads being reported. Plus to me it’s kinda of a dick move to spam the search forums with multiple threads with your ideas.

So your best bet is to make a general thread for all your ideas. It’s what most people do when they make searches actually. You can use tabs to organize things so it’s not all one giant text block.

I use tags to help make things easier to find. And I usually title it something like (multi ideas OR hp, supers, fantasy) if I have only a handful of ideas

Last edited:
As far as 1x1s go, I pretty much agree with rae2nerdy rae2nerdy . Making a swarm of 1x1 interest checks for each idea is not only potentially rule-infringing, but also kind of rude to all the other people who also want to have their interest checks seen and have just as much a right for a chance at being seen.
I would add thoug, that 1x1 interest checks are less about the specific ideas, but about the players themselves (the ideas are important in terms of shared interest, but in group interest checks what brings players together is the interest in the specific story, whereas 1x1s are more intimate and it matters more that the two players are compatible). Since who you are doesn't change from idea to idea, it only makes sense to make one of those interest checks.

Now, groups are a bit different. I would say that in the case of groups you should still only make one interest check at a time. However, you should also only 1 idea in that interest check. This is because group interest checks are about the specific story, plot, setting etc... so you are specifically advertising that about the roleplay, that's what the players who join have to share, an interest in the specific idea. However, making multiple interest checks means there is a very good chance, if they are at all successful, that you'll either have to cut your losses earlier, not even starting some roleplays and leaving people who were willing to give you their time and attention emtpy handed, or you'll overburden yourself with too many group roleplays you can't all manage properly.

Yep, I can confirm that having loads of multiple search threads would be rule-infringing and you will be asked to keep the ideas in one thread. Maybe two. But preferably not more than that.

You can use BBCode to separate your ideas into tabs or just a simple Spoiler tag to hide some text if you think the thread would look cluttered otherwise.

I've found most prefer to make a plot together. Thus there is no reason to add it to a search thread.

I do sometimes like when people put plots for original ideas under a 'spoiler.'

General is trash. Post actual polished ideas, not some brainstorming thing, or rather if you do, don't do it in the interest check forum.
You realize those two things have nothing to do with one another, right? That posting an aggregate of ideas doesn't imply that the individual ideas aren't "polished".

You realize those two things have nothing to do with one another, right? That posting an aggregate of ideas doesn't imply that the individual ideas aren't "polished".
I’m talking about the group interest checks that are like “I wanna have a fantasy world; Which races should we use? Help me brainstorm the world,” not really 1v1, they are generally more general presentations of what you tend to enjoy rather than hyper specific plots, or so it seems.

Yep, I can confirm that having loads of multiple search threads would be rule-infringing and you will be asked to keep the ideas in one thread. Maybe two. But preferably not more than that.

You can use BBCode to separate your ideas into tabs or just a simple Spoiler tag to hide some text if you think the thread would look cluttered otherwise.

One thread per specific concept. Anything more is cluttered and forces those interested in individual ideas to reply together. It's nothing short of a cluster-fuck.

I'm assuming you mean interest checks, or like, "Here's all my ideas for RPs, just to toss them in a box and leave it out in public to see what happens."

One thread per specific concept. Anything more is cluttered and forces those interested in individual ideas to reply together. It's nothing short of a cluster-fuck.
If you make 10 interest check threads for 1x1 listing one idea each and bump all at once this will be considered spam and you'll receive a request to merge them down to one thread. That's what I meant.

Of course, for group roleplays that's different and you don't need to cram many universes in one thread because they are directed at different groups.

If you make 10 interest check threads for 1x1 listing one idea each and bump all at once this will be considered spam and you'll receive a request to merge them down to one thread. That's what I meant.

When you framed it like that I had a lightbulb moment.

It's sad that I don't have a hard time picturing someone doing that, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back