• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Sea of Dreams (Exalted 3 Campaign) - OOC

Hey, all! Excited to be joining you. I have two concepts that have stuck in my head which have some mechanical similarities, but are otherwise very different. Both are Zeniths (which you don't currently have) and both are Lore Supernals (focuses on teaching others and maximizing their effectiveness). I'm happy to connect either of them however you all think works best.

First is a Zenith from Palanquin, who grew up in the upper city, but a lower-class priest/monk. He was an orphan taken in by one of the central temples, and spent his live sweeping the temple, aiding his superiors, and ultimately fed a love for philosophy and theology. He is dedicated to helping to correct the imbalances around the Dreaming Sea (and then beyond), where the poor suffer under the misguided rule of those in power. In Palanquin, in particular, he's seen how the capricious cloud-blooded nobility uses their spiritual and temporal power to repress those less fortunate (rather than lifting them up). He Exalted when one of the high priests, on a whim of anger or pride, ordered the execution of poor petitioners from the land below. The Unconquered Sun told him that righteousness had fallen to wickedness for too long, and the people needed someone to show them the path to virtue once more. So he's a visionary who tries to teach people a better way to live, and asks that they too go teach others, and they others, and so on. He wants to turn the powers of Heaven back towards forging a truly holy and harmonious society.

The other character is from Champoor. He grew up in a criminal family, but (as is common in the Nighted City) one that maintained a sacred compact with a god of [secrets or value] hidden in plain sight. He learned the many arts of the trade, whether material or spiritual, and soon proved himself a prodigy of information brokering. When his family's holdings were devastated by a larger, richer organization, he hid and took in a number of orphans and street urchins, training them in the ways of stealth, misdirection, and intelligence-gathering. With this, he began to make feed the weaknesses of his enemy to enemies of their own. Determined to have vengeance, he let slip his whereabouts. When the attack team of demons came for him, he was waiting, smiling at the knowledge that so many of their holdings were being destroyed while they wasted their time with him. Intent on dying defiant and victorious, the Unconquered Sun gave him the Second Breath and the command to guide Creation against its true enemies.

I'm not really happy with them yet, but the two concepts are getting the code-names of Dutiful Stylite(from Palanquin) and Midnight Son (from Champoor) for now.

I'm working on making both characters (because, hell, either one can sit in my character library for some day when I need a Zenith NPC in a game), but if anyone has an opinion one way or the other, let me know. I would enjoy play either. Midnight Son seems more immediately helpful in turning the spirits to being useful, but Dutiful Stylite is more inclined to fight corruption and oppression. Both would certainly grow and evolve with the travels (and exposure to the Circle), but for now they're starting at opposite ends of the spectrum (when it comes to dealing with an imperfect world and a deeply troubled city).

Last edited:
Well, I've now built two Zeniths. If still no one has an opinion, I suppose... ... ... Dutiful Stylite seems like he meshes with the Intimacies of the Circle (although mostly Scorpion and Kiera), where I worry that Midnight Son's realpolitik and tendencies towards might-makes-right (and doing whatever it takes to win, including creating a league of assassins...) might not work as well.

I'll try and put the character sheet up (it's in paper form right now) later today. So, last chance if anyone wants to express a preference! (I really would enjoy either of them.)

I'm flexible with either one you choose. Heck, I can even touch my toes! lol

Seriously, I feel that either concept will fit with us.

Posted what I have so far. I'll add more backstory after I finish teaching my afternoon classes.

An excellent question. I'll review the rules and get you a ruling one way or another. Might be later tonight or tomorrow since my hardcopy is at home but I'll figure an answer out for you.
Sorry to bug you about this, but Raparth Raparth was kind enough to point out that there's a Dev clarification for Thousand Courtesan Ways pointing out that the Appearance boost only lasts for a scene, even though the Charm has a duration of Indefinite. Now, having a Charm with effects that have different duration seems rather nonsensical to me, them's the breaks. It does, however, make it more urgent for me to know if TCW counts a "social influence Charm" since bring its cost down to 4 motes, and thus something that can relatively freely be used from my Peripheral Pool.

I would find it pretty strange if it weren't, but it's good to confirm these things :) What about the commitment cost of Awakened Carnal Demiurge?

I would find it pretty strange if it weren't, but it's good to confirm these things :) What about the commitment cost of Awakened Carnal Demiurge?

Where is that one located? I'm scanning through my hard copy at the moment.

~puts on glasses and judges wig~

Due to the Harmonious Presence being a One Scene charm, it will effect only those charms that are being expended for the scene. Indefinite Charms will only be effected should you buy the upgrade that makes Harmonious Presence itself Indefinite and commit said motes.

~puts on glasses and judges wig~

Due to the Harmonious Presence being a One Scene charm, it will effect only those charms that are being expended for the scene. Indefinite Charms will only be effected should you buy the upgrade that makes Harmonious Presence itself Indefinite and commit said motes.
From my reading, HPM is one Charm, but when I activate it, I can choose if I spend 5 or 7 motes and the duration changes accordingly. See the phrasing "For five motes, this Charm..."

Oh ho, a misreading, I'm used to those being purchased upgrades. My bad. Then my ruling stands but you have the option of indefinite commitment, which means those other indefinite charms would get discounts if you do it.

Crocodile Crocodile We find ourselves in need of a candidate, and Roshana has relevant contacts. Do you want to make something like a list of high and mighty people, or leave it to us?

I'm thinking of rolling to establish some useful information (e.g. a political/religious loophole, maybe an ally, maybe an enemy to avoid), or maybe just seeing if Dutiful Stylite knows stuff about Forgotten Light. Yeah, let's start with the Forgotten Light stuff. I'll do a quick post with a Lore roll (thanks, specialty and background!).

Also, would it be possible to roll for (since I need to check with this the ST before rolling) one of these? They are not necessarily mutually-inclusive, as you'll see.
  1. The water dragon Tenepshu committed some crime against Heaven and thus cloaked the city to hide her the evidence. (As hold her greatest secret could provide substantial leverage.)
  2. Tenepshu gained control of Champoor in the earliest days of the Shogunate, after she made a deal related to one of the last known Anathema. (I'll offer that a Solar made a deal so that she got the city and offered some service {protecting something? helping in the future?} in return, but it's open-ended.)

I've provided some leads, but if too broad I can toss out more specific items. Sorry, I felt the impulse for thematic response with an excerpt.

I've provided some leads, but if too broad I can toss out more specific items. Sorry, I felt the impulse for thematic response with an excerpt.
it's pretty cool! Doesn't answer my question regarding the current mortal power structure, though ;)

Well, a better answer for those with appropriate abilities:

Bureaucracy
The city is more or less a cesspool of corruption. The merchant class keeps itself safe with paid protection, mercenaries and bribed guards. The streets are more or less at the mercy of the Sacred Socities who collect protection or commit other crime. The Magistrate is desperately trying to reform the city but only manages to keep it functional due to how entrenched corruption is currently. Government officials below her office all take bribes.

Larceny
The Sacred Societies are the name of the game in Champoor. Every last aspect of crime and illegal business is under their control or handled by Merchant class members closely affiliated with them.

Occult
Tenepeshu holds the city in a stranglehold of faith and corruption. She has grown or more bloated in power from all the prayers and influence now at her beck and call. Forgotten Light is still a folk god at most, holding on by the prayers of the poor who cling to him in their desperation. His priests are few and far between but do what they can for the people that come to them.

Socialize
The nobles of Champoor act as great banking houses, relying upon their accumulated wealth of generations to hold as viable loans and credit. There are about ten Noble Banks, each controlled by a major family and its lesser allies. They can be rather ruthless in their loans, particularly with the fall of Gilded Light whose priests no longer make judgements. The city judges are often in their pockets and hand out harsh sentences to debtors.

I say we get to know this magistrate a little better, could be she's someone who could do good things with a little guidance and a lot of assistance.

Crocodile Crocodile The way I see Roshana conducting her business is that various potential and regular clients send her propositions with occasions and offers of payment. She then picks the ones she fancies and make a good living that way, whilst simultaneously getting to attend a lot of functions that would otherwise be beyond her. Does that sound reasonable to you, and would it be OK if she had one lying around either from the Magistrate herself (probably too direct), or for an event the Magistrate would surely attend?

Also, I get the feeling that I should change my Caste ability from Occult to Bureaucracy, is that OK as well?

Crocodile Crocodile The way I see Roshana conducting her business is that various potential and regular clients send her propositions with occasions and offers of payment. She then picks the ones she fancies and make a good living that way, whilst simultaneously getting to attend a lot of functions that would otherwise be beyond her. Does that sound reasonable to you, and would it be OK if she had one lying around either from the Magistrate herself (probably too direct), or for an event the Magistrate would surely attend?

Also, I get the feeling that I should change my Caste ability from Occult to Bureaucracy, is that OK as well?

That's perfectly fine by me. It is a very viable approach in Champoor. More likely an event she'd be at. The Magistrate tends to keep to herself out of paranoia though no one would dare actually kill her. She's too useful in having the city keep working and the Merchants would be upset if someone offed her.

That's perfectly fine by me. It is a very viable approach in Champoor. More likely an event she'd be at. The Magistrate tends to keep to herself out of paranoia though no one would dare actually kill her. She's too useful in having the city keep working and the Merchants would be upset if someone offed her.
Cool. Got any events in mind, or should I make something up? (sorry if I'm pestering you for too much detail, just trying to get a feel for how much you like your players to take control :) )

The Banking House of Tulvandra is hosting an event that the Magistrate will be attending. Its a major banking house for the Merchants, so she tends to go only because of her links and support from the Merchant class.

It was also the bank she hadn't been bankrupted by. It is at the end of the week.

Added profiles and pics for Magistrate Fen and Pradu Tulvandra, current head of House Tulvandra.

Did you guys need anything else? Also, Raparth Raparth I imagine that could be a rarely known fact as to one part of why the city is forever in darkness now. The more you dig, the more you would find on it aside from the dangers of the Court trying to silence inquiries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back