• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Suggestion Scrollboxes?

Nano

procrastination symphony
Yes, I realize that you can get scrollboxes with accordions or (the hackier way) by using [bg] as a div box, but the issue with being unable to customize scrollbars still remains. It isn't much of a problem for mac users, since Safari doesn't show the scrollbar, but for others, the scrollbar which appears can be pretty unappealing on some bbcode formats/designs. I'm not going to go as far as to ask for the ability to customize scrollbars, but would it be possible to bring in a scrollbox/scrollbar bbcode that would allow us to choose whether to show the scrollbar or make it invisible?

well there's this little trick to hide the scroll bar,
hi,

hi,

you'll have to add another bg around it and set it to the same height and width, then put overflow as hidden and the padding to 0px;
Code:
[bg=transparent; overflow:hidden; height:100px;width:100px;padding:0px;][bg=lightpink; height:100px;width:100px;overflow:auto;margin:0px]hi,

hi,
.[/bg][/bg]
You can also somewhat change the width by making the width of the outer bg a 5-20px wider
hi,

hi,

That could work, but there's a little issue where I'm pretty sure that causes the spacing to be a bit weird when looking at the code on a windows using computer vs a mac. Since visible scrollbars don't really exist on a mac, pulling the inner div out view will cause text to look clipped on a mac, even though it might look okay on windows.

No, I know this for a fact, because I've compared the way a code looks on both a computer and an iPad (not the same as a mac, but it gets the point across). The scrollbar is included within the div box's specified width and thus pushes the text a little more to the left to compensate for it. Since safari is missing this scrollbar, the text no longer has to compensate for the extra space that the scrollbar takes up and thus goes back to its original placement. This behavior can actually also be observed when opening and closing accordions that contain scrollbars. The scrollbar doesn't load/show until the accordion is fully open, so you can actually see the text get shoved to the side. qq

Just pushing it out of the parent div using padding would work.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Suspendisse nec neque sem. Fusce blandit massa id massa posuere volutpat. Ut ut ex quis nunc elementum venenatis vel eu massa. Morbi ipsum quam, pharetra vitae erat sed, mollis sodales est. Duis gravida bibendum leo. Donec viverra velit enim, vitae congue mauris facilisis et. Curabitur eget tortor nec orci bibendum varius id sed quam. Nullam non efficitur diam. Nulla molestie convallis volutpat. Quisque eget odio erat. Integer sit amet varius augue. Praesent volutpat faucibus tellus nec molestie.

Code:
[bg=gold; height:200px; width:200px; overflow:hidden; padding:0]
[bg=; height:200px; width:200px; overflow:auto; padding: 0 100px 0 0]
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Suspendisse nec neque sem. Fusce blandit massa id massa posuere volutpat. Ut ut ex quis nunc elementum venenatis vel eu massa. Morbi ipsum quam, pharetra vitae erat sed, mollis sodales est. Duis gravida bibendum leo. Donec viverra velit enim, vitae congue mauris facilisis et. Curabitur eget tortor nec orci bibendum varius id sed quam. Nullam non efficitur diam. Nulla molestie convallis volutpat. Quisque eget odio erat. Integer sit amet varius augue. Praesent volutpat faucibus tellus nec molestie.
[/bg][/bg]

Looks fine on my iPad, but there's now a large empty space when viewing on a windows computer...
I guess I'll play around with it for a bit and ask my friend who uses a mac to check things out. qq
tyvm though!

I forgot that the padding thing would essentially work the same way as altering the width...I guess I'll just have to live with it. >w>;

Users who are viewing this thread

Back