thread no longer active

I love that mix! Used to have a rp in that sort of setting some time ago and it was great. Wasn't focused on dystopian society though, more like intergalactic empires and political conflicts but with fantasy elements.

My favorite combo is when all the magic elements are literally just from other planets. So werewolves, unicorns, etc. are just alien races/species that form an intergalactic empire. And they treat earth as a tourist spot so that's why we have all the crazy folklore on our planet. Someone was WILDING OUT on their vacation.

Before Speculative Fiction got really distinct genres, sci-fi and fantasy were really in flux. That's where you got Planetary Romance and Sword and Planet stories from.
I'd like to see that tapped into more on the site.

It can be fun. Something like Star Wars which uses fantasy elements like magic, but in a space setting is obviously a perennial favourite with RPers. Those kind of settings, where the "science" is so soft as to be kind of handwaved away (for example Cameron's Avatar movie), can work really well. What I am not keen on, which I see a lot, is just "DnD tropes in space" settings. I feel like it's just mashing together two lazily conceived ideas. I wish people would just use their imagination more when creating sci-fantasy rather than making "space elves" for the four thousandth time.

Dystopian fiction is something I really liked growing up, but nowadays I feel like we're in a dystopia already and I don't need to be more depressed than I already am by reality. XD

What I am not keen on, which I see a lot, is just "DnD tropes in space" settings. I feel like it's just mashing together two lazily conceived ideas. I wish people would just use their imagination more when creating sci-fantasy rather than making "space elves" for the four thousandth time.
There is a canon D&D space setting of sorts in the form of Spelljammer, but since it isn't officially in 5e yet, I don't think a lot of newer players know about it or want to use homebrew to play it.
It also has weirder races than just space versions of terrestrial fantasy races, though there is a bit of that. Space-hippo-folk are significantly more interesting than the alternatives.
1586120623506.png

Nanobots magic is fun. I also like post-apocalyptic setting where earth reverted back to medieval and all the techies become ancient relics. Any suffieciently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Yeah, Jeremy, you heard it right. Beat that dragon and took all those tinned cereals he hoarded for centuries. The council will pay you handsomely. Oh, and bring back his happy box too, we can definitely use another one to play these shining saucers.

M Mesenterium that is the actual premise of the book series I read. It gets more epic later on but the original premise is a magical woman owns an inn for magical alien people. The Innkeeper Chronicles or something I forget the name.

I... Steampunk hippos <3 😂 This AU seems promising XD
Not only does it have hippo people, but it also provides a link between different D&D planes and settings. You can just take your space ship (that's a literal boat floating through a primitive understanding of what space is) from the Forgotten Realms to Mystara. It's something I've always wanted to be in a campaign for, and if you're DMing, you can basically put a Spelljammer into any D&D setting and have the party come across it in their journey.
I think it just works on an aesthetic fantasy level better than most attempts people make to duct tape the genres back together.

I'd rp that alien spirited away hotel idea, but I don't do group rp XD

Speaking of explaining magic with logic, there is a very interesting book. It's popular science, non fiction. "Physics of the impossible " by Michio Kaku. The author is a scientist and explains popular sci-fi tropes like teleportation and time travel etc with science. Very good read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back