• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Sci Fi Empires and Politics

and i shall be a bio hivemind than nomed the galaxies all these extra galactic people came from... just kidding

I feel as a rule we shouldn't allow extra galactic empires. I know it might be 'cool' for backstory and such but let's face it. Usually, it's just an excuse for someone to be over powered. I'm not saying everyone who goes that path will be playing the power game but to prevent it being a risk I suggest it gets black listed from the word go.

I'm not even going to lie, I'm gonna base a good little bit of my faction off the Terran Dominion from Starcraft. I've been playing it a lot lately and am inspired.

Reread the post, scrub.
Nice edit. Anyway, that isn't exactly unoriginal. It's merely a descriptor, one that would be familiar with us, and for obvious reasons isn't the word that the species that my character is from would use.
I feel as a rule we shouldn't allow extra galactic empires. I know it might be 'cool' for backstory and such but let's face it. Usually, it's just an excuse for someone to be over powered. I'm not saying everyone who goes that path will be playing the power game but to prevent it being a risk I suggest it gets black listed from the word go.
If someone intends to power game, usually its also obvious from the word go. My sheet would be riddled with references to how superior and great my faction is over everyone else's.

My guys will be extremely advanced in stellar travel. They would need to be to get out of the higher gravity centers of the core of the galaxy. But other then that they will be roughly average.

Oh, and armored Terran Marines. Because I am unoriginal atm.

I think at first the GMs intend for us to be more or less the same. Research and priorities of our respective empires would gradually change that, I guess.

Well honestly an extra galactic species would be much more advanced to make it through dark space

Well honestly an extra galactic species would be much more advanced to make it through dark space
Even if they were, considering this is all theoretical, my species severely regressed upon arrival.

Not sure why they would have unless they abandoned all thier tech and education saying screw science that has had to be the only thing sustaining us on that long journey if anything you should be more advanced

Not sure why they would have unless they abandoned all thier tech and education saying screw science that has had to be the only thing sustaining us on that long journey if anything you should be more advanced
In a word, priorities happened. When you run out of resources and almost every white collar profession is rendered obsolete, your sole concern is survival. They didn't come to a settled world, they came to an entirely undeveloped one on the verge of tearing each other apart for table scraps. Exploration fleets and colony ships aren't supposed to be self-sufficient forever. While these ones made it far, they had to improvise every step of the way. Even our own astronauts and cosmonauts and so on, they've had to come up with creative solutions to problems they could've never anticipated planning for their missions.

So ships that must have lasted hundreds if not thousands of years without any source of new materials aside from likely a small pool of spare parts simply broke down and your people forgot how to do any of it because all thier systems were rendered corrupt within a few years

So ships that must have lasted hundreds if not thousands of years without any source of new materials aside from likely a small pool of spare parts simply broke down and your people forgot how to do any of it because all thier systems were rendered corrupt within a few years
Not a few years. Things just gradually became worse over time, and repair jobs just couldn't eventually be done with spare parts, improvisation, and whatever resources they managed to collect on the way. The ships themselves never broke down, they served well, but eventually they were just gutted for materials as things went to shit on the surface. The problem wasn't the technology, although it was on its last legs, it was the people.

The point would be unless your people destroyed the systems that held the blue prints to make the advanced tech that they would want to build when they got to another galaxy then you should have all the tech there and useable from the get go. Unless you want to say your expedition was organized in pants on head way and they just threw these people out into the universe woth absolutely no way to survive once they got there aside from just do as any idiot can tell you have vast the distance between galaxies is and how hard it is to colonize new places on you own home world because right now it seems like your peoples plan to colonize another galaxy is worse than the plan in mass effect andromeda

The point would be unless your people destroyed the systems that held the blue prints to make the advanced tech that they would want to build when they got to another galaxy then you should have all the tech there and useable from the get go. Unless you want to say your expedition was organized in pants on head way and they just threw these people out into the universe woth absolutely no way to survive once they got there aside from just do as any idiot can tell you have vast the distance between galaxies is and how hard it is to colonize new places on you own home world because right now it seems like your peoples plan to colonize another galaxy is worse than the plan in mass effect andromeda
I forgot I was discussing this with an expert on the matter rather than amongst people who want to RP a science fiction roleplay that should logically have a reasonable suspension of belief. Forgive me. Well, I guess I'll go make a solar panel, even though I barely have the experts or resources to do it since my primary concern is getting a full belly and my neighbors want to kill me for what little I have (dammit Steve). Even if its possible I forgot how to make said solar panel since any number of things could've happened to my archives and blueprints since leaving home, from fire, to malfunctions, viruses, sabotage, to unintended collateral damage, to high speed impacts to my ship, y'know, because it's been thousands of years and its unlikely for everything to go right the whole time.

It will always bug me to have a people who should be more advanced and were but in order to not power game it is hand waved away as they forgot because of reasons

Users who are viewing this thread

Back