• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Sci Fi Empires and Politics

Moldie

Modpurger Edgelord
Would anyone be interested in doing an RP set in the far future, where we the players can guide the future of our empires fourth through conquest, diplomacy and intrigue? I'll have this be a standard nation building process, in that every player designs and controlls a nation, it's leader(s), people, military and other resources. We can have war, alliences and character building to create intrigue and personal "quests" to form a truly 3 dimensional story.

That's the quick whole of it, of course there's much to discuss but these are the basics.

how would you balance these empires
what if one player doesnt want a war but another does?
what scale are we talkin about? "far future" leaves a lot to be interpreted
how would you get empires to talk to each other? if say isolationists are about
how would you stop a player from simply going nazi/soviet on everyone?

how would you balance these empires
what if one player doesnt want a war but another does?
what scale are we talkin about? "far future" leaves a lot to be interpreted
how would you get empires to talk to each other? if say isolationists are about
how would you stop a player from simply going nazi/soviet on everyone?

KindlyPlagueDoctor KindlyPlagueDoctor

Well well well, glad you asked!

So about the balancing, some can be stronger then others, but we'll just have to see to the fact that we're on about the same plain.
Well, then that player invades teh other and they have to deal with it! (But remember that starting a war with no good reason opens up a lot of opertunities for sanctions and denouncation and so on!)
I'm talking full blown interstellar, Star Wars scale type of thing. Technology should be very advanced.
As said before, if someone goes an isolationist route and tries something crazy that's up to the other players to deal with. Empires will have to contact whomever they want at any time, wether it be through dialogue as leaders, secretive, in some form of assembly of nations or in any other way.

Hope that answers some of it at least, feel free to aks more questions if needed.

It sounds like a blast!
I've done one of these before (In-fact, I made one of these types of rps before)
And it was fun! I must warn you though, some players can get a bit... Op. Do you have anything to stop these sorts of factions?
Also, what about new developing tech? How would that work out?
Also Also, How will these things play out? Will we tell stories through the eyes of our soldiers at the same time as managing the empire?

It sounds like a blast!
I've done one of these before (In-fact, I made one of these types of rps before)
And it was fun! I must warn you though, some players can get a bit... Op. Do you have anything to stop these sorts of factions?
Also, what about new developing tech? How would that work out?
Also Also, How will these things play out? Will we tell stories through the eyes of our soldiers at the same time as managing the empire?

Nice! Always good to have some experience aboard.

So it's always hard stopping certain players from doing certain things, and we will have to have some strict starting stats in order to plain things out, you should only be stronger in one or tw ospects.
Developing tech I think is an important aspect, but how to fully implement it I don't know at this moment.
And here's something i'm passionate about in nation RP's, chaarcters. I don't like seeing pages of stats and dead messages, I want interaction. So while in a post you might write about you empires formalities and such there should also be some text from maybe a soldier and their life in the army, your leader as they work to make a deal work, a rogue and resentful general or something like thats perspective. It's always fun seeing how outcomes and decisions affect their stories and how they're told.

Boop~
Actually I have questions too. What sort of limits and restrictions will you have on factions and their racial composition?
What sort of limitations and benefits will these races be able to have?
Will you have a limit on how many non-human factions there are (if any at all)?
Generally speaking, what disadvantages and advantages would a large faction have compared to a small faction and vice versa?

Last edited:
I’m down for this. Do you think there will be a stellar map or something where we can choose starting systems for the empires? Also, for balancing there should be some kind of DND stats like Power (For Attacks), Defense (For Defending), Speed (For Interstellar Travel), Building (For Ship Construction), Science (For Research) and maybe Economy.

I’m down for this. Do you think there will be a stellar map or something where we can choose starting systems for the empires? Also, for balancing there should be some kind of DND stats like Power (For Attacks), Defense (For Defending), Speed (For Interstellar Travel), Building (For Ship Construction), Science (For Research) and maybe Economy.

This is true, and it shouldn't be too hard creating some sort of system.
About the map, I'm working on a system building upon a grid that will serve as a measure of how fast one can travel.

Boop~
Actually I have questions too. What sort of limits and restrictions will you have on factions and their racial composition?
What sort of limitations and benefits will these races be able to have?
Will you have a limit on how many non-human factions there are (if any at all)?
Generally speaking, what disadvantages and advantages would a large faction have compared to a small faction and vice versa?

Assuming you mean alien lifeforms and the such, I hadn't really concidered that. I'd personally keep it to humans myself, but if there is a popular demand for other lifeforms we'll make it work! So as for that I don't have an answer yet.
Having a small or large empire will pose the same benefits and challanges as in real life, a large poulation will provide a larger military, workforce and ability to progress but it will also bring about a greater chance for political unrest and other things alike. It should also be harder to annex territory depending on ones pop.

I would personally be interested in playing as an alien race. But I'm fine with playing as humans. It's not my first choice, but it's an acceptable one.

Well im interested although im not too fond about that DND style system idea

Hello! I’m very interested in joining this roleplay. Most questions I would have had have already been answered though lol.

I also am not too keen on then DND system in regards to characters but I think that’s some way to measure the capabilities of each Empire, would be great.

I think aliens might be a good idea, or at least the some thing that separates each faction of humans to make their point of origin noticeable.

If this is still on it's way to being a thing, I will express my interest.

Also, Traveller system. Has maps that can measure travel speed and character creation is about the path they take in life, rather than stats.

I’ll show some interest in this. I fo have concerns for some factors, such as logistics. After all, how effective effective would new weapomry be if barely any of the intended recipients can get it?

I see the issue but you’re kinda vague. Care to elaborate?

Or might it? :D

Seriously though maybe between the people here we can start it up?

Also total support on the logistics issue though it will heavily depend on the kind of FTL tech (if any) available.

Jump Points (choke points): definitely need some planning and due consideration given to convoys since travel paths will be quite predictable.

Appear anywhere (ie hyperdrive): interception of logistics will be a lot harder.

Similar arguments apply to whether or not star trek transporters exist for moving cargo.

One thing I’ll add is that while new weapons are nice, everything I hear says unless it’s vital to turn around a conflict, the military will continue using equipment already issued for a long while, and train with it after its phased out.
Example: US troops in WWII were in some cases still using WWI era weapons because of availability.

Hell a spaceborne expeditionary force might not have a strict loadout. Say Point B is going to be invaded but Point A can’t produce top of the line milspec gear. Rather than organize supply from a world that can, it’d be quicker, simpler and cheaper to use the older gear from Point A.

Tl;dr: logistics is a legitimate concern but there’s some flexibility regarding weapons.

Needless to say I’m thinking in terms of Army/Marines; navy logistics is a whole different set of arguments.

*so ded people are unaware its ded, creating an unded abomination of regular interests*

Or might it? :D

Seriously though maybe between the people here we can start it up?

Also total support on the logistics issue though it will heavily depend on the kind of FTL tech (if any) available.

Jump Points (choke points): definitely need some planning and due consideration given to convoys since travel paths will be quite predictable.

Appear anywhere (ie hyperdrive): interception of logistics will be a lot harder.

Similar arguments apply to whether or not star trek transporters exist for moving cargo.

One thing I’ll add is that while new weapons are nice, everything I hear says unless it’s vital to turn around a conflict, the military will continue using equipment already issued for a long while, and train with it after its phased out.
Example: US troops in WWII were in some cases still using WWI era weapons because of availability.

Hell a spaceborne expeditionary force might not have a strict loadout. Say Point B is going to be invaded but Point A can’t produce top of the line milspec gear. Rather than organize supply from a world that can, it’d be quicker, simpler and cheaper to use the older gear from Point A.

Tl;dr: logistics is a legitimate concern but there’s some flexibility regarding weapons.

Needless to say I’m thinking in terms of Army/Marines; navy logistics is a whole different set of arguments.

I'm down. Wanna help me with the sheets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back