Scariest Video Game Moment/Scariest Video Game?

The XCOM series are terrifying in their own right.
In UFO Defense, I always tensed up if I saw a plasma shot fly towards somebody. And if I saw a Snakeman or Chrysallid... I ran out of there unless I had flying stuff.
And I will dread the day I see Tentaculats in TFTD. Those things fly.
Scares me to no end.

In the newer XCOMs, I usually am extremely tense scouting the map. Especially in XCOM 2 where everybody is made of tissue paper.

Last edited:
GearBlade, I agree, but also for me starting Dark Souls for the first time scared me because of how hard it is.

Well, one scary moment just happened, and...yikes.

So, I was playin' my daily round of good ole' Dead Island, the original. The sewer area. I just got introduced to the Floaters, and I told myself "Get outta there geT OUTTA THERE!" Run run, kill kill. About 40 meters before the exit, I was fighting zombies, looted their corpses before I have heard a "Help...me..." directly behind me. I was literally SCREAMING because I didn't want to die, so I instantly dashed away and just two seconds later the Suicider exploded. Apparently, it was around the corner, and appeared in the middle of the fight. Luckily, I survived and got the fuck outta the sewers.

Hi guys! :D

I've been really into horror lately (maybe because Halloween is a month or so away?) and I feel like talking about spooky stuff!

So! What is the scariest moment in a video game so far that you've experienced, or (you can answer both if you like!), what game have you played that's scared you the most?

It can be for any age you've experienced it, for any system!

For me personally, I think one of the scariest moments in games is when I'm being chased, so any time an enemy or boss chases me, I get terrified!

It's especially spooky when the ghost bosses in Fatal Frame do it!

I think the scariest game I've ever played is probably Fatal Frame 5, or Amnesia: The Dark Descent!

running away from that crazy pickaxe lady outlast 2

An eerie and dead cow in a Silent Hill psp game scared the heck out of me and my sibling when we were younger. It jumped at us as we were dangerously close to it.

Okay as weird as it sounds I haven't played a lot of horror games and recently have tried them out. I have to say though when I was younger I played pokemon platinium for the first time and jumped and dropped my ds when Giratina jumps out and grabs Cyrus *spoilers warning* that is the only time I have been scard except for Flowey from Undertale he is just creepy.

Haven't really played a ton of horror games because I'm a wuss because I didn't have much interest in them, but hooo boy I've had a few games scare the shit out of me.

- DDLC: Forgive the oxymoron, but helloooo Sayo-nara. I didn't even go into the game blind. It just seriously sprang out of the blue. In hindsight I should have been expecting it but...damn.

- Before it went down, Hotel 626 was the living embodiment of everything I didn't want to see. Every single minigame. From being chased down the hallways, trying to take pictures of that ghost girl in the bathroom- and her jumpscaring you once you successfully do; I had a hiccup while playing it and it went away the moment that happened-, searching for the picture of the hallway in that dark room...most unnerving of all I think was the elevator minigame which had you trapped in an elevator with a madman who whispered the password. God I hated that thing.

- Fucking...Scary...Maze. I hate it. I wasn't even the one playing it. When the jumpscare came up, I ran from my bed to the living room 10 seconds flat. I swear to god.

- This may not count because it's a webcomic, but Bong Chong Dong Ghost scared the shit out of me. Again. wasn't even the one reading at the time but good lord.

Due to these experiences...ESPECIALLY Hotel 626...yeah, not touching a horror game anytime soon.

You know, I've played F.E.A.R, and nothing in it was really scary up into ....'Grown up' Alma appeared, the way she crawled and transitioned between kid and adult before lunging was... ugh..

The second one is scary to me, not so much anyone else probably. But, you're going through a zone in a game, its peaceful, nice pretty flowers and the occasional goblins, but then everything changed when the troll nation attacked. Having like 6-7 of these things coming after me was really unnerving for some reason, but then... I found a companion version... *shivers*

Here's a photo, but its not the best quality.
187-2-1342398531.jpg

American McGee's Alice for me. My brother and I played together it as kids. Like, literally. We shared the keyboard (one on movement and the other on weapons) because we were too creeped out to play it alone.

Ever been hunting a Rajang and then suddenly a Deviljho pop up from nowhere in MH.
THAT'S SCARY SHIT I TELL YA

Oldie but goldie:

My older sister got the Pizza Hut Demo Disc promotion they were doing back in the early 2000's (if I remember right). There were two different disks and one had Resident Evil. Now my sister was the gamer before the torch got passed down to me. So, when it came to be around that winding down hour, she'd pop the disk in and play a demo to end one by one. When she got to Resident Evil, I ran behind our musty couch because I was so damn scared of the zombie cutscene where he lifts his head to glance up at the player.

These days, of course there's better. But at the time, that zombie would chase me around in dreams.

The first time I approached a nymph in Terraria.

Never again.

Probably showing my age here, but in my 1st play through of Resident Evil 2, right after it came out, there was a scene where you are in an interrogation room that you have been to before. A licker comes busting through the two way glass, and I audibly yelped. Scared the hell out of me! lol

Omg scariest video game moment: When you're playing Outlast blind and the Groomsman tips of the locker you're hiding in and drags you through the room.

Undertale neutral run when Flowey crashes the game. I've never played a game programmed to crash at a certain moment, and to scared the shit outta me. Idk why, but my younger brother was laughing at me the whole time and he's never played or watched Undertale. But it was terrifying. And so I shakily reopen the game, and it says 'FLOWEY TALE' and your save file is gone, and when your save file is gone, that's a whole other horror. I honestly thought the game had glitched, and then STUPID OMEGA FLOWEY COMES AND HE'S SO SCARY DJKHKDJFHGDFJGHKDFJ

The Forest. There's something genuinely unnerving about being stuck in the middle of nowhere with very limited resources and being stalked by insane, yet intelligent cannibals.

Not even the first night of Minecraft can compare to that hell.

Last edited:
Hard to say on this one...But hearing The Firstborn's voice from Clive Barker's Jericho...always creeped me out.

Batman Arkham Asylum,
I was clearing out this creepy basement well past the end of the game, just to clean up some of the challenges, and one moment everything is fine the next a Psycho jumps on my back from the ceiling and I ended up pausing the game to catch my breath, the music change didn't help either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back