Scariest Video Game Moment/Scariest Video Game?

Aliens VS Predator multiplayer was terrifying in it's heyday.

Metro 2033 and Last Light on their highest difficulties.

When you're playing Men Of War and you waste all your money on infantry and forget about anti tank weapons then there's a King Tiger knocking on your door.

My friend made me play DDLC blind.

The jumpscare ghosts from Sonic Adventure II on the knuckles stage pumpkin hill. I STILL have nightmares about those things.

Hmm... For me that's a good question xD
I'm pretty numb to horror at this point, but I'd say psychological horror is most effective on me. Very few games in recent memory have actually managed to scare me, since I generally don't play chase games due to the stress they cause me. Jumpscares are highly repetitive for me, and in many horror games I've come to expect them. I always find the best scares/creeps for me are in games I didn't expect them in. The first example of this was probably the biggest, from back when I first played Pokemon Diamond as a kid.
Yeah... I wasn't expecting the old Chateau. Little me was scared by everything, and when I walked into the dining room and the old man showed up first time I freaked out, because I couldn't find him afterwards. The little girl certainly didn't help any, considering I managed to get unlucky enough to encounter her first time as well. For some reason, even though it scared me, I kept going since I thought there might be something in there xD I ran into the ghost girl in my Pokemon Y game as well, but by that time I'd run into the ghosts from the previous games and it no longer really affected me, coupled with the fact that I'd gotten older by that point. When I played through Undertale I also wasn't prepared for Photoshop Flowey either, given that I'd gone in fairly blind and expecting my first run to end normally. Even then though, it didn't "scare" me so much as it creeped/weirded me out. Doki Doki Literature Club may have gotten me if it weren't for the warnings and previous events leading up to the end of act one. I really don't know whether to be sad or happy about my numbness to a lot of horror at this point, since while I don't have to go through the anxious fits, it'd probably be more fun if I did get scared xD

Any Thief trilogy fans out there? Shalebridge Cradle scared the pants offa me; when I picked up Lauryl's blood vial, I SHRIEKED. And Widow Moria's Mansion was so eerie and creepy.

I also echo VtM: Bloodlines. That whole game was made of some real existential "oh holy crap I am so small and everyone is lying to me" horror, but there were plenty of traditional spooky moments, too.

The scariest moment for me was the mirror room in Silent Hill 3

Just imagine: you're going from door to door, trying to find a way out of an ass backwards place.

And then you enter the mirror room.

The room itself isn't very remarkable - it's just a little square with a giant mirror at the opposite side. Being that you were probably a little naive kid back when SH3 was released, you only stay there because the mirror captured your intrigue.

And then, you start to hear this spider crawling sound. And the floor reflected on the mirror starts to become corroded and corrupted. It's spreads to the walls, the ceiling, the few objects in the room until it reaches your reflection, locking it in place.

And then it starts seeping into your side of the room.

Try Resident Evil 0. For being on the GameCube, the game itself scared the ever-living hell outta me. The first time I encountered a certain enemy on the first stage, the cutscene itself was just creepy. *Shudders.* Never again.

Stranded Deep, I was on my way to an island, and the sun went down on the way. All I could see was a little murky glimmer on the water surface from the moonlight as it pierced through the clouds ever so little. Then suddenly my raft got knocked up into the air and straight into the water I went. I.. don't really remember what happened next. I know I walked away from the game and stopped streaming.

As far as games, Soma is the scariest I played so far. I played it sleep deprived for over eight hours for a charity stream. Was intense.

I don't play a lot of horror games, but one that my cousin and I absolutely love is Amnesia: The Dark Descent. When we play, we have a method: she controls the keyboard and I control the mouse. Lots of yelling at each other and getting irritated. It's fun stuff.

Anyways, during one of our play-throughs, we were in the prison. We were getting cocky and thought we had the game down. Well, the game threw us a curve ball and spawned us inside a cell with a monster blocking the door. I screamed and let go of the mouse and my cousin panicked and just repeatedly pressed the space bar. After all that, the monster ended up being a poofer.

i'm not really interested in horror games but the original dead space and bioshock both creeped me the hell out. alien isolation was pretty wild too

I tend to stay well away from games meant strictly to scare the player, as that stuff makes me paranoid of everything for days. However, I have played games with very scary moments. First thing that comes to mind is any mission in any of the Halo games that involves the Flood. That shit is horrifying to me, and I have to force myself to play those missions alone. I usually just bitch out because fighting the Flood makes me so scared and anxious. For example, while doing a run through of Halo CE through 4 campaigns on the Master Chief Collection, I was too scared to battle the Flood when they first popped up. I knew it was coming, psyched myself up, then they actually appeared and I seriously broke down into tears and stopped playing for a while since I was shaking. Then my brother, who took pitty on my dumbass, played through the extremely Flood-heavy mission of the game so he could try to convince me how not scary they are. It helped some, but they still scare the shit out of me no matter what I do. I hate the Flood. Screw you Bungo for making them (and the Hive from Destiny who are very similar to the Flood in my paranoid mind).

I tend to avoid horror games because I just don't like being scared, jumpscare or otherwise. But the Haunted Ship on Okami was terrifying, to the point that I almost couldn't get through it the first time. There was also Arbiter's Grounds on The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Doesn't help that, upon entering, you hear a sound that resembles a roar). Ah, and the zombies on The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion freaked me out too. But, ultimately I got over all of those, for the most part. They're still creepy, but I know how to deal with them now.

Playing through Slenderman when it first came out was scary as shit. Did a lets play with my friends and we turned down the lights in the room, put on a set of noise cancelling headphones and just sat there being scared LUL

Growing up, my sister's and I were never able to get past the first hallway in the first apartment building of Silent Hill. Now when ever I replay it with my friends to introduce them to the franchise, I always pause there for a moment and tell that stoty.

For me it would have to be dead space, I was doing the impossible mode and one gun achievement at the same time, it was hard and scary.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is a very good one, just make sure to play with headphones so you can hear all the creepy noises. I played without headphones and I wasn’t very scared of anything but when I decided to use them, it got crazy and I actually had to take a break. (Playing in a dark room is also a good way to amp the spooks)

I usually am terrified when something chases me because I panic and start running it walls and every other item in my path. I normally play RPG Maker games like Witch's House, Ib, and Mad Father. It may only be a few pixels but when someone with a chainsaw is chasing me, I panic.

I remember not when I was playing a horror game, but minecraft. Yes, minecraft. I was mining and things were all peaceful, mind you I was like 13 at the time, but I was just sitting there hitting an iron vein when all of a sudden BOOM. Creeper snuck up and blew up, my heart jumped and I threw my mouse while I jumped out of my chair. Scared the living hell out of me, worse than a lot of horror games ever had XD.

I get scared sorta easily with this sorta stuff. I remember playing F.E.A.R the first one. None of it was scary, and I was like "Yeah, I'm doing really good at this." Till a certain someone decided to grow up and start crawling towards me, it startled the crap out of me.

SCP Containment Breach is very, very, creepy. Especially the (buggy) Unity-remake.

The Unity-Remake already has SCP-939. Yeah, those weird, red, dog things that mimic human voice. Well, ok, in the remake hey don't have a voice yet. I was watching a video of those things yesterday with my friend (Yeah, watched. I can't play this game!). We sa this god damn red bastard chillin' there. The player ran past it, then turned around and those things have a god damn mad DASH. I was legit screeching yesterday.

EVE Online

Playing with a handful of friends and we poked our noses into some wormhole space to go gas mining. I came along to protect them from Sleepers and stuff that spawn. One of them went...somewhere and got jumped by players. Poor communication and I only arrived as they died. Drove off the player and went to pick up what they dropped so my friend could at least recover something. Got jumped by two new players and went down. Then it was a panicked, disorganized retreat. Only one person had saved the wormhole exit we used so everyone scattered since that guy had already left the wormhole space.

Ended up going through a wrong hole and had to go back into the hostile zone, but they were busy chasing another friend before he got podded. Made it back out at least and kept my implants. At least the most scariest moment in a game for me that I can actively recall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back