Scariest Video Game Moment/Scariest Video Game?

Artificial Sugar

Plus Ultra

Hi guys! :D

I've been really into horror lately (maybe because Halloween is a month or so away?) and I feel like talking about spooky stuff!

So! What is the scariest moment in a video game so far that you've experienced, or (you can answer both if you like!), what game have you played that's scared you the most?

It can be for any age you've experienced it, for any system! 

For me personally, I think one of the scariest moments in games is when I'm being chased, so any time an enemy or boss chases me, I get terrified!

It's especially spooky when the ghost bosses in Fatal Frame do it!

I think the scariest game I've ever played is probably Fatal Frame 5, or Amnesia: The Dark Descent!

Now I don't have a large experience with horror in video games but my best experience, or rather the scariest, was when I played an older PC game called Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. The game as a whole is not horror oriented but there is this one quest where you go to a haunted hotel to fetch some item where you get to learn what happened to those who are haunting the place as you dodge flying vases and chandeliers. The game did amazing when it came to creating a spooky atmosphere. You would see things across the hall yet when you approached nothing was there, you would turn around after finding yourself in a dead end only for a figure to appear for a split second, seeing shadows around the corner, whispers, creaking doors, etc etc. In my opinion it was a good mix of jump scares (the good kind) and atmosphere. It's a great RPG that I highly recommend despite its age but if you don't want to buy it and are curious, I know Cryaotic did a great play through of it on YouTube.  

Anyway, that's my two cents on this matter! 

ooooh man what a good question :0 i actually thought some moments in dying light (ps4) were kind of terrifying, like, you'd be happily wandering through some sewers & then walk past a door and BAM IT'S A ROOM FULL OF VOLATILES !! which you then have to run the fuck away from. i loved the super fast paced chases, they were great :DD if awful for my blood pressure

SOMA i found kind of... not scary, exactly, but sort of harrowing almost. it really fuckin sticks with you. i mean, it could get pretty goddamn scary too, lol. that service bot who floated around glowing red and tried to tear you apart if you got to close? yeah. he was a fun guy.

the only other ~horror~ game i've played i guess was outlast, which i loved and was terrified of at first but i was so bad at it that after a while it just got frustrating rather than scary haaah ;; the antagonists were all so good though i mean. so good. loved it, loved it

oh also ?? that one level in bioshock with the fucking boys of silence ??? fucking terrifying i had nightmares about that level :)))) 

Okay i have been playing subnautica recently, and let me say while i do have a pretty good gaming P.C it can't exactly handle subnautica to the fullest though not so much that it's unplayable, i'm telling you guys this cause while going after a lifepod a Reaper Leviathan suddenly spawned and i let out a scream cause currently those are largest creature in the game and Extremely Hostile who can one hit kill you, but fortunatly i managed to survive my encounter with it, but after that i decided to just say fuck it and hauled ass back to my base

I agree @Viper The haunted hotel was really scary! I remember getting mad at my friend who went to sleep and left me alone to play it. 

Another one that was kind of scary but more creepy is Eternal Darkness. It's on the GameCube and I think banned in some countries. It had some jump scares that really got me but the best stuff happens when your sanity meter goes down too far. Let me set the scene for you :D  It was about 3 am, everyone in my house is sleeping soundly and I decided to stay up to play a scary game... great plan I know. I'm doing things in the game when all of a sudden the volume skyrockets complete with the little bars on the tv screen. No big deal I must have sat on the remote or something, I looked around trying to find it quickly so no one would be woken up. That's when I saw it, the remote sitting across the room beside the tv. No one had touched it. The game did it because my sanity meter was too low. Well if that wasn't enough to freak me out I decided to save the game and get some sleep. Right as it is about to finish saving it tells me that all files on memory card in slot one have been deleted. Everything was fine though, just the game messing with me again.

If you have an old GCN collecting dust I recommend trying this game if you can find a copy. There's lots more crazy stuff that happens!

I don't really play horror games but the Boys of Silence in Bioshock Infinite still scare the crap out of me every time I play. Its definitely the most stressful video game experience of my life. 

Imscared.

It's a bunch of pixels but it's some really heart attack inducing pixels.

That being said, I barely play scary games, it's just this one that caught my attention so maybe it's only scary for a noob like me. But I don't know why, I just find that little guy here super spooky for some reason, as well as certain game mechanics that I don't want to spoil.

Things that make me back off or even going out of the game like 'tarnation this poop im out':

1. JUMPSCARES ;_; + Earrage

2. Being alone

3. Creepy things spawn that weren't there before because i made progress

4. Being Chased (Lakeview Cabin Collection is scariest thing i played ;_; and when i see a jumpscare or creepy things i quit the game xD)

5. Everything xD

The most horrible thing for me is when something is purchasing you and you have to run. HORRIBLE.

There was one moment in a video game called SOMA when you have to run from a mushroom head monster, creep the shit out of me!

There was also one scene in the Last of Us that scared me, it was when Joel was alone in a sewer. 

Now I don't have a large experience with horror in video games but my best experience, or rather the scariest, was when I played an older PC game called Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. The game as a whole is not horror oriented but there is this one quest where you go to a haunted hotel to fetch some item where you get to learn what happened to those who are haunting the place as you dodge flying vases and chandeliers. The game did amazing when it came to creating a spooky atmosphere. You would see things across the hall yet when you approached nothing was there, you would turn around after finding yourself in a dead end only for a figure to appear for a split second, seeing shadows around the corner, whispers, creaking doors, etc etc. In my opinion it was a good mix of jump scares (the good kind) and atmosphere. It's a great RPG that I highly recommend despite its age but if you don't want to buy it and are curious, I know Cryaotic did a great play through of it on YouTube.  

Anyway, that's my two cents on this matter! 

I played that game too.  Loved it as well.  Though near the end of the game, there was a moment that topped the Haunted Hotel.  It was...hairy to say the least.

There are three types of scares horror games do.  One is a popup jump scare, another is a subtle psych, and the last is the menacing approach.  Games such as Silent Hill 2 do the second approach.  When my imagination does all the work, it can get to me.  Silent Hill 2 does get me a bit, though I generally have nerves of steel and a first instinct to fight back.

Don't believe me?  Have a citation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXuIZstyM7E

not a horror game, but in ARK: Survival Evolved, I had a moment that absolutely filled me with dread. My Pteranodon was almost out of stamina, and I needed to land. I was heading back to my base from The Center's North Mountain. I was at the edge of the swamp surrounding the floating island and I saw a patch of green under some trees. 

For those unfamiliar with ARK, when your flying mount touches water, you get booted off of it. On a Quetzal, this is no problem because it's big enough to stand on its back. On a Pteranodon, however, you get pushed off to the side when you dismount.

Continuing with that information in mind, I was diving towards this green patch. All the grass at the base of the mountain had dire wolves and sabertooths galore, so I didn't want to land there, otherwise I would've. This green patch under the trees, however, was completely open, with nothing standing on it. 

It's night time in the game, kinda dark, and I go to land on this green patch under the trees. However, I didn't land. One minute I'm flying down, the next I'm chest high in water, my Ptera flying too far above me for me to remount it, even with jumping. It was at that moment, I realized where I was. That wasn't ground, it had been algae covering the tops of swamp water. Now, the swamps in ARK are filled with a bunch of nasty things. Titanboas, Sarcos (giant crocodiles), nasty bugs, and Megapirahnas. I didn't even have time to think about all these horrors before a school of Megapirahnas killed me. I respawned at the bed I had at base, shaken, and filled with dread at what had just happened. 

If you're curious as to what happened to the Ptera, I tamed another one, went back to the swamp area, whistled the "follow me" command a bunch, and sure enough it was flying right where I'd left it, many many gameplay hours before. However, in ark, if you're mounted while you whistle "Follow me", it'll follow your mount. Well, I didn't know this at the time. So, when we landed so that I could hop on the Ptera with more stamina (following mounts don't lose stamina when flying, only the one you're riding), I whistled "follow me" again so that the new Ptera would follow me back to base. As soon as I landed, the two Pteras, who were following each other, spiraled up into the air, disappearing as the circled around each other. 

Many lessons were learned during those Ark adventures.

1) Always be aware of your flying mount's stamina so that you don't have to make emergency stops

2) That green stuff in the swamp is NOT grass

3) Don't set your flying mounts to follow each other.

The Shalebridge cradle, from Thief: Deadly shadows...the whole level.

It's not even from a horror game, but some evil mastermind decided to create a level that felt like a living thing, and in the worst possible way. It actually took me three and a half hours to finish it, and all the while it teases you with the hope of it ending only to set you back more and more. There's no jump-scares whatsoever. It's pure atmosphere and fear of being spotted. This was Outlast and Amnesia long before their time, and is generally seen as the holy grail of horror levels. 

Horror games have been a blast in the video game world...but mine would have to be "Five Nights At Freddy's". This game put the in a scare for quite a while now, and with the "Sister Location" game in full swing this October, everyone has been staring at the alarm clock....metaphorically speaking of course. This game was brilliant from the start.

But horror games have also been in the Oculus Rift and other virtual reality headsets. They're evolving like the monsters in Fallout 4. They have gotten from just scary, to down right psychological, I-can't-take-this-anymore, stay-up-all-night, terrifying. But, I've lost where I was. Scariest video game moment??? Getting jumpscared in FNAF.

I believe that this picture fits it perfectly.. This mainly scared me when I was a child. Once you saw the cutscene involving the enemy in this picture, your first instinct was to actually board up all the windows in the entire house and block any entrances off. That unmistakable sound is terrifying to hear especially when you're low on health, but your health doesn't really matter especially when you're dead if he manages to actually connect with you :S . Gotta love the memories with this one.

latest

Last edited by a moderator:
Amnesia: The Dark Descent...I've yet to replay the game since I played it for the first time because I literally exhaust myself with all of the adrenaline rushes every time the bad guy shows up lol...

Scariest Moment for me had to be playing Resident Evil Revelations  and getting instakilled in the communications officer boss fight for the first time. After that it became annoying more than anything being chainsawed in half every other life because I miss the dodge queue for his attack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Video games are never really scary,but my biggest scare came from the dog in resident evil 1. That thing came out the environment and scared me half to death. xD

343 Guilty Spark from Halo: Combat Evolved is still the scariest mission in the entire series.

I am In all honesty, Unscarable. So this Is a tough one for me, the only game I guess I could say, sorta startled me was, OutLast when your sneaking Into the asylum(honestly who does that ?) and then when you attempt to leave, all you hear Is "There you are you little pig", and then your picked up by that bloated abomination and tossed off the railing. That part sorta got me... sorta  -_-

Silent Hill 2 when you hide in the closet to watch Pyramid Head doing some 'strange' things with....strange monster things. 

When I was a kid I HATED playing in the haunted house in Hamtaro Ham-Ham Heartbreak. I know this game is noooo waaay a horror game but I was, and still is, a wuss with scary things : P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back