Other Save a draft, save a life

mother of sorrows

π‘Ÿπ‘’π‘π‘’π‘™π‘ π‘–π‘£π‘’ π‘π‘œπ‘€π‘’π‘Ÿ π‘œπ‘“ π‘‘β„Žπ‘’ π‘€π‘œπ‘Ÿπ‘š.
so.

i was working on a starter yesterday, as you do. the way i write posts is that i usually finish them up in the course of a whole day - i start in the morning and then post them in the evening. if not, i finish it in the next few days. thing is, i've been running kind of late with this post because of irl issues related to covid-19 and school, so i decided it wanted it up yesterday, right?

so i started writing and i was kind of on a roll. inspiration suddenly struck me, so i was writing a lot - i legit felt like i was victor hugo and i was writing les miserables 2 with the way i was rambling ajnsdfgnd. i was pretty proud of it too; i was laying down the lore, introducing my mc and the side characters, throwing in some subtle glimpses of the past, giving some details, etc. basically, i wrote quite a long post, longer than i can usually dish out and i was super happy about it. my tears and blood and sweat were put into that post and i loved it like my own child. night came and i was about 80% done at that point, so i decided to go take a shower and finish it up.

then came the mistake.

my computer's screen turned off at that point, so i clicked my mouse around and my dumbass self....

accidentally closed the chrome window. you can probably tell where this is going.

at first, i was a little bit annoyed - i thought at worst i would have to rewrite a paragraph or so. nothing could prepare me for the heartbreak and shock and sadness i experienced at the moment i opened my workshop and saw nothing staring back at me.

i realised then with dawning horror that i, a person with exactly one braincell, haven't saved the post not once during the course of the day.

i've never felt pain like this before.

being broken up with hurts. falling down hurts. stubbing you toe hurts. but nothing hurt me more than this. i was arrogant - i was icarus flying to close to the sky, thinking that nothing could possibly go wrong. God saw my hurbis, my incomprehensible haughtiness and i was punished for it. the draft is gone and so is a piece of my heart.

OKAY but all joking and melodramatics aside,,, this is legit me right now. i'm still not over it 😭😭 i guess if nothing else, i learned an imporant lesson that day; save your drafts, kids. don't end up like me.

That's a mood. XD

Always a good idea to type your post in Google docs which auto saves constantly or in an offline word processor. But even knowing that, it's still possible to get caught out. I did it to myself the other day on a proboards forum (loses your posts waaaay more than this site does) and I had no one but myself to blame. The sads.

Ouch. Sorry for your draft.

The site saves drafts but it's not 100% reliable, unfortunately. I usually write in Google docs because it autosaves in the cloud and can access the document from other devices too, I write on PC and phone so that makes things easier.

It's great to write in Google docs, or a notepad writer to Keep your draft so the problem doesn't happen again. And on is right, the site does save drafts, but not all the time.

thanks for the advice, guys - though, i don't think it was as much rpn's fault as it was mine for not checking once through the day lmao 😭 this would have been avoided if i posted it in my workshop and started editing again. which is why this hurts far more than if rpn simply didn't save my draft :'') if nothing else, this has been a psa to take care of your writing ajfjdngnh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back