Saoirse (Irish Revolutionary Period Historical Questlog)

AlbaGuBrath

"Scotland Forever"
(Hey, everyone. This may not be directly related to this discussion, but still... I've been made aware of a petrol bomb in Co. Londonderry yesterday, so asking thoughts and prayers for the residents. I don't think anyone was hurt, thankfully, but it's still very disturbing.)

The Omen of Death

My presence has marked your eventual demise.
Thread starter #77
(Hey, everyone. This may not be directly related to this discussion, but still... I've been made aware of a petrol bomb in Co. Londonderry yesterday, so asking thoughts and prayers for the residents. I don't think anyone was hurt, thankfully, but it's still very disturbing.)
(Well my heart goes out to anyone who was affected, personally while I emphasize with the why behind terrorist groups in Ireland like the IRA, I do not condone whatsoever the actions that makes them terrorists, taking the lives of innocent people the way they do with bombs and whatnot. Therefore I again condone any actions whoever the group was did. Also it looks like it was probably an illegal march in commemoration of the Easter Rising anniversary)

Heisenberg

The One who Knocks
(Option 2 has been chosen with 2 votes!)

You turn, bursting towards the nearest building as shells land around you, rushing inside a building as your comrades do the same. You drive your shoulder to open the door, finding yourself in an office building, no doubt one that was abandoned when the fighting started. You're left waiting there inside, hoping that the violence ends soon as shells explode outside.

The shelling continues until nightfall, as the sky darkens on the second day of the newly proclaimed Republic. As the shelling ends, you're left clutching at your rifle, praying to God it doesn't start up again, as tiles from the roof drop down, breaking open with crashes around you. For the next few minutes, or hours, perhaps, you're just left desperately hoping it doesn't start again, terrified out of your mind. Your allies are equally terrified. You're not soldiers; you're children, sent out to take back your country from an impossibly large Empire.

"God our father, almighty Jesus, Holy Spirit, please grant me the strength and power to last through the night. Please help me break away from the..." you begin to mutter before Joseph angrily grasps your arm.

"They can't take away our fighting spirit that easily!" Joseph says desperately. "They just can't! It's not fair!"

"Joseph, just quiet down. No one wants to hear you breaking the silence. They're content with it. Just leave them to appreciate the fact that shells aren't raining down now."

Joseph falls silent, but this time, the silence isn't as still. You can hear whimpering from the other buildings, crying from the wounded and the scared, desperate muttered prayers from the others. You close your eyes, desperately hoping for a way out. Joseph looks around, seeing the same group of terrified boys hiding that you see. He closes his eyes tightly, before opening them with a fierce look of determination. Slowly, he begins to sing one of the new Irish patriot tunes, his voice rising above the terrified mutterings of the rest of the poor souls hiding out there.

"We'll sing a song, a soldier's song, with cheering rousing chorus, As round our blazing fires we throng, The starry heavens o'er us!"

Joseph's never been a good singer by any degree, but something about the emotion, the determination, the spirit in his voice, it awakens the same feelings in you. Slowly, a few voices, yours included, join in.

"Impatient for the coming fight, And as we await the morning's light...!"

More voices join the singing, as the voices grow louder and more fierce.

"Here in the silence of the night, We'll chant a soldier's song!" the voices sing out into the night,

The song continues as your voices get louder, the song breaking through the cold, dark silence and filling you with inspiration.

"Soldiers are we whose lives are pledged to Ireland. Some have come from a land beyond the wave! Sworn to be free. No more our ancient sireland shall shelter the despot or the slave. Tonight we man the gap of danger. In Erin's cause, come woe or weal!"

At this point, not a voice is silent or passionless, dozens of voices roaring without pause, without regard for the enemy at the throat of the deathly rain of shrapnel and flames that landed minutes ago.

"'Mid cannons' roar and rifles peal We will chant a soldier's song!" you roar.

The group continues singing into the endless darkness. It's clear to you, as your voice is added to dozens of others, that the Irish spirit hasn't been broken tonight.

Days Later...
The next few days, you're not attacked, but the shelling, that goddamned shelling, continues on. Every day is a horror as you pray shells won't destroy the building, just hoping to survive as shells smash around you, tearing great holes in the buildings and blowing chunks of stone and mortar.

By Wednesday, hundreds of British troops attacked twenty-six volunteers in the Mendicity Institute, and they became the first of the rebels to surrender. Impressively, these men had been placed as a diversion to hold the area for a few hours to slow down the British but had lasted three days. Meanwhile, in the assault on Mount Street, seventeen Irish rebels managed to hold off over a thousand British soldiers, taking out 240 British soldiers with only 4 of their own casualties. God, they're impressive allies.

Of course, after that, the British hit hard. Over the next few days, there was endless brutality, As the British forces push in, they take heavy losses, but do push your forces back. It's going to be a hard fight to win this battle and push them back out of the city.

Now, on Thursday, a British force of soldiers have pushed up an advance force to the GPO, and you're forced to defend it. With a handful of other soldiers, James Connolly included, you're left defending an upper floor.

You stand by the window of the GPO, rushing to reload rifles. The single-shot nature of your rifles means you've set it up so while two men reload

"Christ, I need a better stance," Connolly says, putting his foot up on the windowsill.

James Connolly aims down his rifle, taking another shot. Suddenly, a bullet thuds into his leg, as he's sent toppling over with a scream. He lies on the ground, clutching his heavily bleeding leg. You drop the rifle you're holding, looking around for something to do. You can't see outside, but you know it's not going to take much to overrun your position.

1. Help Connolly

2. Take Connolly's spot on the window
2. Hmm, I didn't arrive back here for a week or so, but I agree with Vic. This is the best we can do for now.

The Omen of Death

Thread starter #79
(Option 2 has been chosen with 2 votes! Anyway I have noticed for a while this one doesn't seem as popular compared to the others, while I will still be doing this one, I am going to work on another one with an idea that recently came to me and am going to try to extend my reach for others as well because I think it's gonna be a great idea, it'll be a good way for me to work on my humor, you'll see what I mean in the interest check section, and I'll link everyone in the group that were here before. Hopefully we'll even get more people involved, it will help me with a certain character too. But back to the story.)

You rush over to the window, grabbing Connolly's rifle. You look to the woman sitting next to him, reloading the second rifle.

"We need to keep firing! If they get in, we're all fucked!"

She nods determined, as you quickly get to work.

You quickly begin firing, and swapping your rifle with the woman, but you realize why Connolly changed shooting position and exposed himself. Standing in cover means you barely have any field of view, and you can only fire down at a few of the soldiers, but it's mostly weak shots as you can't position yourself right. In order to get a better shot, you need to kind of change position, half-hanging out the window in order to fight and force back the enemy.

1. Take up a more advantageous position

2. Keep firing from your current position

ViciousVip3R

Merchant of Death, Quest Log Fanatic
No risk, no reward...but really it just comes to efficiency. We only have so many bullets, so we need to make each of them count. This can only be done by taking a more advantageous position so that is what we should do.

Pryno

Probably a Malkavian
Sorry for the long delay, I'm overwelmed by schoolwork IRL. First, @acsgon, welcome to the adventure! Hope you enjoy your stay. Don't mind the flying bullets, you're safe. Most of us don't bite.

For the decision. Fool me once...changing our position would probably cause us to endure the same fate. However, we don't have grenades, which means that if we keep our position, we will probably be surrounded and be killed anyway. In both ways, it's a gamble. That means that we should make the most profitable choice in case of success. All this to say...option 1.

Let's give them hell.

The Omen of Death

Thread starter #83
(Very sorry for the delay guys, been quite busy lately anyway welcome @acsgon great to see a newcomer! Anyway Option 1 has been chosen with 3 votes!)

You lean out the window, aiming down at the street as you prop yourself up the window. You're left half-hanging out of it, before you're left aiming down at the forces charging up the street. You aim your rifle carefully, taking a deep breath.

"Connolly needs a medic! Connolly needs a medic!" a voice cries behind you.

You fire your rifle, swapping it again as you raise the rifle, aiming down the iron sights again. You lean in, pressing your eye against the rifle, and pulling the trigger. Shots begin pinging off the stone window frame around you, before you swap your rifle again, grabbing another rifle. You aim again, firing as the bullet thuds into the paved street below, the bullet bouncing off the ground as you nearly hit a soldier charging down the street.

Suddenly, a bullet slams into your chest, as you're shot in the chest, sent fumbling out of the window with a pained scream. You fall through the air with a desperate scream, before your body and your life breaks on the streets, your bones shattering as your skull is smashed open on the streets.

(Looks like you guys were unlucky and got a bad roll and got killed, however as all of you should know and for @acsgon since you are new to my Quest Logs, a death doesn't mean everything ends, we will keep going from this point, but the same option that was chosen will kill you again if you try it, so because there were only 2 options there, Option 2 will be chosen by default, if you guys are quick enough I will allow another free reply today. Anyway Option 2 has been chosen by default!)

You continue firing from the relative safety of your position. Relative being the key word, given how James Connolly took a bullet from it. You fire your rifle, hitting the British soldier in the stomach, as he topples over on the street. You pass your rifle to the woman next to you, as she passes you a loaded rifle. You raise it through the air, firing again, as the British in the street begin falling back.

Connolly is dragged off to a medic post, but you don't loss focus, continuing firing as the British make another attack. You fire again, shooting down at the British soldiers that are rushing towards you. You keep firing, determined to push them back.

Eventually, night falls, and the British soldiers fall back, unable to break through your lines and get into the building. You're left secure, as the enemy falls back, leaving you with a night's peace. Of course, that's what you think, until the shelling begins anew, as the British decide on that tactic instead of fighting. Connolly survives, but is badly wounded, and left unable to walk. As the shells explode around you, you settle in, for another night of praying the shells don't take down the whole building.

The Next Day...

You crowd around Padraig Pearse, as he stares outward. The shelling hasn't ended, as the explosive rounds continue to smash into the building. As a lack of supplies, continued shelling damaging the infrastructure of the building, and the British outnumber and outgun you, allowing them to take over vast swathes of territory. Now, you're left outnumbered, as any moment the British could make their final push in, assaulting the GPO to capture or kill the remaining rising leaders and break the entire movement. After that, all that'll need to be done is a mop-up operation to take back control of the city.

As well as this, fires have sprung up through the building, as they begin to race through the old building. You've attempted to put them out, but you're completely unable to. Flames race through, and you're forced to abandon large sections of the building to horrific flames and fire. It's gotten to the point where it's completely out of control. Thus, you're in a desperate situation, as Padraig Pearse and the other leaders know.

"We need to begin a retreat," Padraig Pearse says. "This entire building is about to be overrun. Machine gun posts outside are ready to ambush us as soon as we go outside. Thus, we've found another solution."

"We're going to break through the walls of the GPO in order to get into the surrounding buildings to get the hell out of here. Meanwhile, a strike force is going to lend a diversionary assault out into the streets in order to take out the enemy, led by the O'Rahilly."

There's a quiet silence, as everyone thinks about the situation. It's a brutal issue, and the ability of rebel forces to fight every day grows harder and harder.

"We're looking for volunteers, true heroes, true patriots of the Irish republic, to join the O'Rahilly in his diversionary attack. Do we have any volunteers?"

Joseph who is next to you whispers in your ear, "I think we should join the group tunneling through the walls, that attack with O'Rahilly sounds like a suicide charge to me."

1. Escape the GPO with the O'Rahilly

2. Tunnel out through the walls

Last edited:

Heisenberg

The One who Knocks
(Very sorry for the delay guys, been quite busy lately anyway welcome @acsgon great to see a newcomer! Anyway Option 1 has been chosen with 3 votes!)

You lean out the window, aiming down at the street as you prop yourself up the window. You're left half-hanging out of it, before you're left aiming down at the forces charging up the street. You aim your rifle carefully, taking a deep breath.

"Connolly needs a medic! Connolly needs a medic!" a voice cries behind you.

You fire your rifle, swapping it again as you raise the rifle, aiming down the iron sights again. You lean in, pressing your eye against the rifle, and pulling the trigger. Shots begin pinging off the stone window frame around you, before you swap your rifle again, grabbing another rifle. You aim again, firing as the bullet thuds into the paved street below, the bullet bouncing off the ground as you nearly hit a soldier charging down the street.

Suddenly, a bullet slams into your chest, as you're shot in the chest, sent fumbling out of the window with a pained scream. You fall through the air with a desperate scream, before your body and your life breaks on the streets, your bones shattering as your skull is smashed open on the streets.

(Looks like you guys were unlucky and got a bad roll and got killed, however as all of you should know and for @acsgon since you are new to my Quest Logs, a death doesn't mean everything ends, we will keep going from this point, but the same option that was chosen will kill you again if you try it, so because there were only 2 options there, Option 2 will be chosen by default, if you guys are quick enough I will allow another free reply today. Anyway Option 2 has been chosen by default!)

You continue firing from the relative safety of your position. Relative being the key word, given how James Connolly took a bullet from it. You fire your rifle, hitting the British soldier in the stomach, as he topples over on the street. You pass your rifle to the woman next to you, as she passes you a loaded rifle. You raise it through the air, firing again, as the British in the street begin falling back.

Connolly is dragged off to a medic post, but you don't loss focus, continuing firing as the British make another attack. You fire again, shooting down at the British soldiers that are rushing towards you. You keep firing, determined to push them back.

Eventually, night falls, and the British soldiers fall back, unable to break through your lines and get into the building. You're left secure, as the enemy falls back, leaving you with a night's peace. Of course, that's what you think, until the shelling begins anew, as the British decide on that tactic instead of fighting. Connolly survives, but is badly wounded, and left unable to walk. As the shells explode around you, you settle in, for another night of praying the shells don't take down the whole building.

The Next Day...

You crowd around Padraig Pearse, as he stares outward. The shelling hasn't ended, as the explosive rounds continue to smash into the building. As a lack of supplies, continued shelling damaging the infrastructure of the building, and the British outnumber and outgun you, allowing them to take over vast swathes of territory. Now, you're left outnumbered, as any moment the British could make their final push in, assaulting the GPO to capture or kill the remaining rising leaders and break the entire movement. After that, all that'll need to be done is a mop-up operation to take back control of the city.

As well as this, fires have sprung up through the building, as they begin to race through the old building. You've attempted to put them out, but you're completely unable to. Flames race through, and you're forced to abandon large sections of the building to horrific flames and fire. It's gotten to the point where it's completely out of control. Thus, you're in a desperate situation, as Padraig Pearse and the other leaders know.

"We need to begin a retreat," Padraig Pearse says. "This entire building is about to be overrun. Machine gun posts outside are ready to ambush us as soon as we go outside. Thus, we've found another solution."

"We're going to break through the walls of the GPO in order to get into the surrounding buildings to get the hell out of here. Meanwhile, a strike force is going to lend a diversionary assault out into the streets in order to take out the enemy, led by the O'Rahilly."

There's a quiet silence, as everyone thinks about the situation. It's a brutal issue, and the ability of rebel forces to fight every day grows harder and harder.

"We're looking for volunteers, true heroes, true patriots of the Irish republic, to join the O'Rahilly in his diversionary attack. Do we have any volunteers?"

Joseph who is next to you whispers in your ear, "I think we should join the group tunneling through the walls, that attack sounds like a suicide charge to me."

1. Escape the GPO with the O'Rahilly

2. Tunnel out through the walls
2. Looks like you're going to have to take one for the team, brother. You're probably going to die a horrible death, but your brothers-in-arms will live to fight another day.

The Omen of Death

Thread starter #85
2. Looks like you're going to have to take one for the team, brother. You're probably going to die a horrible death, but your brothers-in-arms will live to fight another day.
(Wow I am a dope I just realized I worded the thing wrong, I meant for Joseph to say that the diversionary attack with O'Rahily sounded like suicide. Gonna have to fix that, will you be sticking with Option 2? You sound like you would be on board with it either way. EDIT: actually no it's phrased right maybe not 100% clear though let me fix how it's phrased)

Heisenberg

The One who Knocks
(Wow I am a dope I just realized I worded the thing wrong, I meant for Joseph to say that the diversionary attack with O'Rahily sounded like suicide. Gonna have to fix that, will you be sticking with Option 2? You sound like you would be on board with it either way. EDIT: actually no it's phrased right maybe not 100% clear though let me fix how it's phrased)
Fuck yeah, let's do this, for Eireann! And for our buddies.

Pryno

Probably a Malkavian
Sorry, I saw it and forgot to answer. Anyway, I'm not 100% sure about this. It does sound like a suicidal charge. Hell, even our fanatic brother thinks it! Should we live another day to continue to help the cause? Or should we die like heroes to make others escape? I'm gonna vote 1. The escape, not the diversion. Let's just save our skin and our brother's.

The Omen of Death

Thread starter #89
Sorry, I saw it and forgot to answer. Anyway, I'm not 100% sure about this. It does sound like a suicidal charge. Hell, even our fanatic brother thinks it! Should we live another day to continue to help the cause? Or should we die like heroes to make others escape? I'm gonna vote 1. The escape, not the diversion. Let's just save our skin and our brother's.
I just realized the confusion again, the phrasing was wrong the first time, number 1 is the diversionary attack number 2 is the escape.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)