• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Saoirse (Irish Revolutionary Period Historical Questlog) *COMPLETED*

(I'll be happy to join whatever quest log you roll out, too. :) Thanks for putting in the effort!)

I suppose the outcome for Rory will be pretty much the same whatever we do, so I guess we may as well obey our orders; option 1.

The fact that he wasn't even angry makes the whole situation so much sadder than it already is, though.

(Option 1 has been chosen with 3 votes! The choice just kinda dictated something short so I did this quickly.)

Your finger twitches, pulling on the trigger. The bullets thud through the air, hammering into Rory O'Connor. Your bullet blows through his chest, blowing out his heart and killing him instantly. The cigarette falls from his mouth as he topples to the ground. You pause, staring down at the dead man, as you mutter a silent prayer for him. With that, you turn away.

"Well done, men," your commander says. "You made your country proud."

The others solemnly leave the room, not a word being spoken. You follow, walking out of the room, as you trudge home, wondering how much you'll need to give for this new country.

Months pass...
The next few months are a dark, miserable time. You spend quite a bit of time out on patrol, making sure the IRA are pacified. Out in the field, you have a chance to fight, to protect your country, to do something for the nation that actually matters to you. There, in the fields, you can work for hours on end, focusing on nothing but work. You don't have to picture children burning alive in fires just out of your view. No, you don't have to deal with that until night falls.

By April 1923, the fight for independence has worsened considerably for your side. More and more IRA soldiers are captured, with over 12,000 imprisoned at this point in the war. Ernie O'Malley, the man who trained the old IRA unit in the fight against the British, is shot twenty times, before being captured. Impressively, he manages to survive. The IRA forces are desperate for a ceasefire, hoping they'll simply survive as it becomes clear there's little chance of success. Frank Aiken is elected to the Chief of Staff of the Irish Republican Army, becoming the anti-Treaty commander.

With Aiken being put in charge, a new offensive is being organized by the National Army. You're heading down to Cork, for an organized sweep of rebel-held areas, arms stockpiles, outposts and anything else. If Cork, the rebel county that once literally burned with passionate rebelliousness, falls, then the anti-Treaty forces won't have control of any territory, and they'll be crushed. With their fall, the anti-Treaty forces will be left broken and disbanded, giving them almost no power.

You find yourself deep in Cork, out in the countryside, moving on the old town of Bandon, one of the last bastions of the anti-Treaty forces. You move along the road with your squad of a dozen Free State soldiers, moving towards the center of the town. Although they're heavily outnumbered and outgunned, with none of the powerful weaponry you thought that your forces have, the anti-Treaty forces are trying to defend their town through hidden riflemen and moving squads of ambushers ready to hit your flanks and retreat off into the distance. You've been left as the second of command of the group, with Fionn in charge. Your mission is simple: clear the enemies and take back Bandon.

You walk along the road, at the head of your column of men. You stroll along the road, moving toward the town. You hold up a hand, stopping the column. Ahead, down the road, is a hastily constructed barricade, simply a toppled tree trunk blocking off the road with a few smaller logs stacked against it. A cursory glance shows you that the barricade is unmanned, although you can't tell for sure. It blocks the only main path forward through the woods, although you're sure there's other paths forward.

"Barricade," you say to Fionn. "Could be abandoned. Could be an ambush."

"Any suggestions?" Fionn asks, rubbing his rifle barrel nervously.

1. Move forward and tear down the barricade

2. Secure the area around the barricade

3. Move through the woods to avoid the obstacle

(Option 1 has been chosen with 3 votes! The choice just kinda dictated something short so I did this quickly.)

Your finger twitches, pulling on the trigger. The bullets thud through the air, hammering into Rory O'Connor. Your bullet blows through his chest, blowing out his heart and killing him instantly. The cigarette falls from his mouth as he topples to the ground. You pause, staring down at the dead man, as you mutter a silent prayer for him. With that, you turn away.

"Well done, men," your commander says. "You made your country proud."

The others solemnly leave the room, not a word being spoken. You follow, walking out of the room, as you trudge home, wondering how much you'll need to give for this new country.

Months pass...
The next few months are a dark, miserable time. You spend quite a bit of time out on patrol, making sure the IRA are pacified. Out in the field, you have a chance to fight, to protect your country, to do something for the nation that actually matters to you. There, in the fields, you can work for hours on end, focusing on nothing but work. You don't have to picture children burning alive in fires just out of your view. No, you don't have to deal with that until night falls.

By April 1923, the fight for independence has worsened considerably for your side. More and more IRA soldiers are captured, with over 12,000 imprisoned at this point in the war. Ernie O'Malley, the man who trained the old IRA unit in the fight against the British, is shot twenty times, before being captured. Impressively, he manages to survive. The IRA forces are desperate for a ceasefire, hoping they'll simply survive as it becomes clear there's little chance of success. Frank Aiken is elected to the Chief of Staff of the Irish Republican Army, becoming the anti-Treaty commander.

With Aiken being put in charge, a new offensive is being organized by the National Army. You're heading down to Cork, for an organized sweep of rebel-held areas, arms stockpiles, outposts and anything else. If Cork, the rebel county that once literally burned with passionate rebelliousness, falls, then the anti-Treaty forces won't have control of any territory, and they'll be crushed. With their fall, the anti-Treaty forces will be left broken and disbanded, giving them almost no power.

You find yourself deep in Cork, out in the countryside, moving on the old town of Bandon, one of the last bastions of the anti-Treaty forces. You move along the road with your squad of a dozen Free State soldiers, moving towards the center of the town. Although they're heavily outnumbered and outgunned, with none of the powerful weaponry you thought that your forces have, the anti-Treaty forces are trying to defend their town through hidden riflemen and moving squads of ambushers ready to hit your flanks and retreat off into the distance. You've been left as the second of command of the group, with Fionn in charge. Your mission is simple: clear the enemies and take back Bandon.

You walk along the road, at the head of your column of men. You stroll along the road, moving toward the town. You hold up a hand, stopping the column. Ahead, down the road, is a hastily constructed barricade, simply a toppled tree trunk blocking off the road with a few smaller logs stacked against it. A cursory glance shows you that the barricade is unmanned, although you can't tell for sure. It blocks the only main path forward through the woods, although you're sure there's other paths forward.

3. Move through the woods to avoid the obstacle

3. I don't like the looks of this. We might be in for a fight if we go ahead and do the obvious. If we go through the trees we'll have some cover and concealment, plus we'll be spread out in a wide area.

Also 3. The IRA is specialized in ambushes and guerilla. We just need to assume that there are ambushes everywhere and we’ll be fine :P

No, seriously, there are probably ambushes everywhere. We are in their territory and every tree can hide a soldier. I’m pretty sure we will lose one man or two in the woods.

Yeah, I'm with option 3, too. Even if the barricade is abandoned, it we don't lose a lot (besides a little time, maybe) by being on the safe side and avoiding potential trouble.

(Option 3 has been chosen with 3 votes! Also, considering things are slowing down I have a bit more time to devote, so things should be moving faster, also I am simply excited to unveil my next quest so there's that too.)

"Let's move through the trees to avoid this obstacle," you advise.

Fionn agrees, as you quickly break into the trees, heading into the woods. You begin marching through the trees, stomping through the mud and muck of the place as you hurry to get to Bandon. However, amongst the trees, you become dispersed, not marching in tight formation due to the terrain, instead splitting apart as you break away into several units.

You walk along through the woods, before pausing as you stumble across a plainclothes man hiding behind a tree, trying to stay in cover, a rifle in hand. You pause, your eyes widening as he stares at you for a brief moment.

"Men! We've an IRA soldier sneaking...!" you begin to yell, turning back to your own men as you frantically raise your rifle.

"Shut the fuck up!" he says, slamming the butt of his rifle into your head with a frantic smack.

You hit the ground, your rifle skidding along the dirt. You frantically reach out for it, muck and dirt covering your face. A boot slams into your back, stomping onto your side as you let out a pained groan. A rifle jams into your back, as a bullet slams through your chest, blowing out your lungs. The next shot pierces your side, before a third shot blows out your heart, killing you instantly.

(You guys got a bad roll, pretty unlucky situation. You guys know the drill, so let's get back to it.)

3. Move through the woods to avoid the obstacle (This option killed you last time)

(Option 3 has been chosen with 3 votes! Also, considering things are slowing down I have a bit more time to devote, so things should be moving faster, also I am simply excited to unveil my next quest so there's that too.)

"Let's move through the trees to avoid this obstacle," you advise.

Fionn agrees, as you quickly break into the trees, heading into the woods. You begin marching through the trees, stomping through the mud and muck of the place as you hurry to get to Bandon. However, amongst the trees, you become dispersed, not marching in tight formation due to the terrain, instead splitting apart as you break away into several units.

You walk along through the woods, before pausing as you stumble across a plainclothes man hiding behind a tree, trying to stay in cover, a rifle in hand. You pause, your eyes widening as he stares at you for a brief moment.

"Men! We've an IRA soldier sneaking...!" you begin to yell, turning back to your own men as you frantically raise your rifle.

"Shut the fuck up!" he says, slamming the butt of his rifle into your head with a frantic smack.

You hit the ground, your rifle skidding along the dirt. You frantically reach out for it, muck and dirt covering your face. A boot slams into your back, stomping onto your side as you let out a pained groan. A rifle jams into your back, as a bullet slams through your chest, blowing out your lungs. The next shot pierces your side, before a third shot blows out your heart, killing you instantly.

(You guys got a bad roll, pretty unlucky situation. You guys know the drill, so let's get back to it.)

3. Move through the woods to avoid the obstacle (This option killed you last time)

2. Hah, well, we might as well try the barricade. If we get shot by people who're waiting to ambush us, at least we'll have some cover. My fear is that we'll get attacked and we wouldn't know where the enemy is.

Every tree can hide a soldier, indeed. Welp, securing the area does seems like a reasonable option. 2!

(And with that my finals are now done and over with, I should have some more time on my hands and this should move along quicker, also just paging ViciousVip3R ViciousVip3R you haven't replied in about 2 votes and just checking up. I am gonna be a bit more proactive too, since I kinda just sat back writing this every few days. You should see how I am getting more involved in the next quest. Anyway Option 2 has been chosen with 3 votes!)

"Push forward and secure the area," you order, as your squad moves forward, quickly taking the area around the barricade and setting up a secure defensive position.

"Good job, men," you say. "Murphy, O'Flynn, get to work tearing down the barri...!"

A bullet dashes off the ground to your right, as an unknown number of gunmen open fire from the words. You dive for cover, as quickly your men let out a burst of gunfire. From their defensive position, you quickly push back the enemy without a loss, as the anti-Treaty gunmen quickly hurry to retreat off into the woods. You pause, wondering if you want to pursue them.

1. Chase after them to capture the gunmen

2. Hold your position to tear down the barricade

When you want to be more active on RPNation but studies just don’t want you to.

1545171596569.gif

Anyway, that was easy. Maybe too easy. If we chase them, they might lead us to another ambush. On the other hand, if we don’t, they might come back with renforcement. Considering that both possibilities lead to combat, I would prefer to fight as a group instead of being killed one by one. 2.

Attachments

• 1545171225006.gif
    1545171225006.gif
    388.7 KB · Views: 0
When you want to be more active on RPNation but studies just don’t want you to.

View attachment 515366

Anyway, that was easy. Maybe too easy. If we chase them, they might lead us to another ambush. On the other hand, if we don’t, they might come back with renforcement. Considering that both possibilities lead to combat, I would prefer to fight as a group instead of being killed one by one. 2.
(Did someone say despair?!? IMG_0871.GIF lol Danganronpa jokes aside I just felt the need to make a little reference there. Carry on citizen.)

Stay in the position where we hold the advantage! 2.

(Thanks for the summon. Notifications weren't showing up for some reason.)

(And with that my finals are now done and over with, I should have some more time on my hands and this should move along quicker, also just paging ViciousVip3R ViciousVip3R you haven't replied in about 2 votes and just checking up. I am gonna be a bit more proactive too, since I kinda just sat back writing this every few days. You should see how I am getting more involved in the next quest. Anyway Option 2 has been chosen with 3 votes!)

"Push forward and secure the area," you order, as your squad moves forward, quickly taking the area around the barricade and setting up a secure defensive position.

"Good job, men," you say. "Murphy, O'Flynn, get to work tearing down the barri...!"

A bullet dashes off the ground to your right, as an unknown number of gunmen open fire from the words. You dive for cover, as quickly your men let out a burst of gunfire. From their defensive position, you quickly push back the enemy without a loss, as the anti-Treaty gunmen quickly hurry to retreat off into the woods. You pause, wondering if you want to pursue them.

1. Chase after them to capture the gunmen

2. Hold your position to tear down the barricade

2. I'm with Pry and Vic on this one! No need to get into unnecessary trouble now by running after dangerous men.

Stay in the position where we hold the advantage! 2.

(Thanks for the summon. Notifications weren't showing up for some reason.)
(Pro tip: You should always check the RP or any thread periodically to make sure you are up to date, as well as the fact that it will start notifying you when something is posted again.)

(Pro tip: You should always check the RP or any thread periodically to make sure you are up to date, as well as the fact that it will start notifying you when something is posted again.)
Haha yeah, I will if I remember. Oddly enough, I think the reason I don't get notifications sometimes is because I check when there are no new updates, and then it doesn't email me when updates do come up.

(Option 2 has been chosen with 3 votes! Also notice, I may actually post an interest check for the next quest on either Christmas Eve, Christmas, or in the coming days after it, before this quest finally ends or after this ends whatever comes sooner. I want this next one to become a large scale affair and I wanna gather some interest, figure out who wants in, and try to build things from there. Anyway let's get back to the action.)

You hold your position, as the gunmen retreat, leaving you alone to deal with the current issue at hand. With your opponents gone, you quickly seize control of the road and tear down the barricade, pulling the log down and moving it aside, clearing your path up for the approach to continue.

With the barricade taken down, you quickly return to work, moving down the path as you soon reach the town of Bandon. The medium-sized town is in chaos, as several other groups of Free State soldiers attack the last core of anti-Treaty soldiers in the town, and perhaps even the entire county.

The anti-Treaty forces have secured the town hall, guarding it as they're advanced upon by the far larger and far better armed and supplied National Army. You stare ahead, realizing you've got a straight shot up to the town hall to bust in and bring this to a close. You can push on in a straight charge, the quickest, most direct route to the enemy, although it fully exposes you to their rifle fire. You can flank through them through the church, using that to ambush and attack them in a flanking maneuver to avoid their fire, although using a church for war seems very dishonorable way to win. You could also use the cover of the local graveyard to move up to capture the town hall, although that also could be quite an immoral way to deal with the enemy.

1. Lead a charge through the center of town to take the town hall

2. Flank the town hall through the church to get the jump on the enemy

3. Move up to the town hall through the grave yard, taking cover amongst the gravestones

(sounds good)
All is fair in war, and our cause is quite righteous. I see nothing wrong with using the church if it means our men are safer.

I'm so sorry for missing the last one! Things were a bit hectic for me with having to handle both college and preparations for the holidays. :dead:

In any case, I think as long as we don't actually fight in the church and just use it for our cover, it should be fine? I believe there's something like you aren't supposed to engage in violence inside of churches. But I think I'll join option 2 regardless. I don't really mind using the graveyard either, but it doesn't seem to auspicious, does it? It kind of feels like "if things go wrong at least we're in the right place to be buried already", and that's not very motivating.

(Option 2 has been chosen with 3 votes! Also notice, I may actually post an interest check for the next quest on either Christmas Eve, Christmas, or in the coming days after it, before this quest finally ends or after this ends whatever comes sooner. I want this next one to become a large scale affair and I wanna gather some interest, figure out who wants in, and try to build things from there. Anyway let's get back to the action.)

You hold your position, as the gunmen retreat, leaving you alone to deal with the current issue at hand. With your opponents gone, you quickly seize control of the road and tear down the barricade, pulling the log down and moving it aside, clearing your path up for the approach to continue.

With the barricade taken down, you quickly return to work, moving down the path as you soon reach the town of Bandon. The medium-sized town is in chaos, as several other groups of Free State soldiers attack the last core of anti-Treaty soldiers in the town, and perhaps even the entire county.

The anti-Treaty forces have secured the town hall, guarding it as they're advanced upon by the far larger and far better armed and supplied National Army. You stare ahead, realizing you've got a straight shot up to the town hall to bust in and bring this to a close. You can push on in a straight charge, the quickest, most direct route to the enemy, although it fully exposes you to their rifle fire. You can flank through them through the church, using that to ambush and attack them in a flanking maneuver to avoid their fire, although using a church for war seems very dishonorable way to win. You could also use the cover of the local graveyard to move up to capture the town hall, although that also could be quite an immoral way to deal with the enemy.

1. Lead a charge through the center of town to take the town hall

2. Flank the town hall through the church to get the jump on the enemy

3. Move up to the town hall through the grave yard, taking cover amongst the gravestones

2. Just get this war over with, Michael. The most dishonorable thing you can do is die without permission. Stay with the living, even if you have to bend a few divine laws here and there. You have a lot of work ahead of you anyway.

(Well everyone, this is about it, the last decision to make. Make this count, I will have more to say once the decision has been made, and I post the epilogue. Everything has culminated to this moment. I would heavily advise talking this over and discussing it, as this is the big one. I hope you all had fun, see you on the other side. Option 2 was chosen unanimously!)

"We should push through the church to flank the enemy," you suggest to Fionn.

"Good idea!" Fionn says.

You quickly rush forward, hurrying to the old stone church that flanks the town hall, hurrying to cover behind the church as bullets ping off the heavy stone. You raise your rifle, smashing open one of the stained glass windows, knocking the glass out with the butt of your rifle, quickly clearing a path to get through. A soldier offers you a knee, and you clamber into the church, toppling inside the building as you land on the floor with a thud. Your unit quickly enters the church, as you head to the other side to get out of there.

"Something feels wrong about sneaking through a church," Fionn says.

"All of this is wrong. This whole goddamn war," you say.

You quickly use your rifle to smash open another stained glass window, climbing out of this window, finding yourself right at the side of the town hall as the rest of your unit joins you. A burst of rifle fire forces back the anti-Treaty defenders from the window, as they dive for cover. You press yourself up against the the town hall's outer wall, firing your rifle through the window at the men inside as they retreat to further cover

"Give yourselves up!" Fionn roars. "You're surrounded, there's no way you'll get out of here! Other then through surrendering or in a box. Be reasonable and come out!"

"Fuck off, you godless sons of bitches! We'll die before we surrender!" the voice comes back along with a hail of gunfire.

"Bastards," Fionn says. "Get a few grenades. We'll clear them out, alright."

A pair of men grab their grenades, pulling the pins out and lobbing them through the window. You stay low, plugging your ears as they go off with an explosion and a volley of screams. You rush to the door, booting it open to get a look at the destruction. The area is torn apart by shrapnel, with a half a dozen dead Irishmen spread around the room. You wince at the sight of them, before shaking your head. You have a mission to do.

"Secure the building. Make sure no one else is here," Fionn says.

Your soldiers quickly spread around the building, looking for survivors. You look at the wounded and dying in the room, shaking your head in disgust as you look at those there.

"Dammit, the survivors are escaping out the back!" one of the soldiers says.

"Dammit! After them!" Fionn yells.

You quickly burst out of the town hall, rushing after the escaping soldiers. You raise your rifle, firing after one of them as he slips off behind a building, before seeing another moving towards the stables, planning to steal a horse. You rush towards the stables, hurrying to catch up with the larger silhouette. You race after him, reaching him just as he nearly manages to clamber onto a horse. You raise your rifle, pointing it at the back of his head.
"Hold! Hold, or I'll shoot you!"

The figure stops, before slowly raising his hands, He turns to face you, as you stare at Joseph, who looks darkly at you.

"Hey, Michael," he says darkly.

"Joseph!" you say, taken aback. "Jesus, Joseph. What are you doing here?"

"Fighting for the cause," Joseph smiles. "Seeing as you bastards have taken the whole place, we're retreating to the hills to continue this as a guerilla war."

"There's no point in fighting, Joseph! The war is over, goddammit! Just lay down your rifle and make peace!"

"I know there's no point in it, Michael. I know. But I can't surrender. Not after everything I've done. I just can't give up."

"I can't let you leave, Joseph!" you say. "I have a duty to my country!"

"And I have a duty to mine, and I won't be captured," Joseph says. "So if this is how it ends, this is how it ends."

Joseph sighs, shaking his head slowly.

"If I'm to die, then I'm to die a soldier," Joseph says.

"You try to get on that horse and I will shoot you, Joseph!" you say.

"I'm not going to get on the horse. I don't want to go off and continue hiding in the hills, eating scraps, freezing when the sun goes down and killing my countrymen. I'd say my time has come."

"Then drop your weapons, and this can be over!" you shout.

Joseph slowly unbuttons his holster, placing his hand on the revolver handle.

"Drop the gun, Joseph!" you snarl.

"No, I don't think I can, Michael. I'm tired of fighting, but I won't abandon my cause. I'll go out like a soldier. Now, I'm going to draw my pistol, and I'm going to start shooting for as long as I last. You want to protect them, pull the trigger and get this over with, because I'm dying a soldier."

Joseph pulls out his gun, aiming it at your chest.

1. Kill Joseph

2. Don't shoot

Welp, that’s all, folks.
One more step
And I’ll make it war
And I still love the way I hurt you

Ahem. That just reminded me of a song, I thought it was fitting.

At the very beginning of this quest, I thought about that exact same situation. The eventuality of what would happen if we ever found ourselves in a moderate party while Joseph was going radical. I wondered « should we shoot him? ». And today, my answer is the same as before.

Hell no.

He’s our brother. We don’t know the men we are currently fighting with. The Free State has done nothing to help the Irish, nor have the politicians. Let’s fight with our brother of arms and blood, side by side. And if we can’t make of this country heaven for our people, then we will raise hell against the British crown. Now, let’s dance, partners, shall we?

I will without hesitation vote for 2, but I want to hear all of you first. Shall we keep tearing our family and country appart? Or shall we keep our bullets for those who deserve them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back