• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Saoirse (Irish Revolutionary Period Historical Questlog) *COMPLETED*

(Option 2 has been chosen with 2 votes!)

You quickly dive in behind one of the buildings, machine gun fire flying past the street outside. You raise your rifle, smashing the butt of it into the window as you quickly break the glass and knock it from the frame. You clamber in through the window, finding yourself in an abandoned office. You move through the empty building, quickly skipping over the machine gun fire as you hurry along the path. You finally reach out at the other side of the street, climbing out of the window to find you're at the direct flank of the armored car, right next to it's side. You hide in cover, making sure they can't spot you, before planning your next move to take out the armored car.

1. Use your grenades to disable the Mutineer

2. Get inside its gun range and use your rifle to eliminate the crew and capture the Mutineer

1. This one's a no-brainer, take the one with less risk and keep yourself alive. Even if you do manage to take out the crew, there's still a chance they'll send another team out and get it back functioning. Disable it while you have a chance.

While the possibility of capturing the Mutineer sounds good, I'm not really sure how great our odds are for that, so I'm going to vote for option 1.

Let me tell you something important that will surely change your mind. A tank.

A tank's a deathtrap. Just one tank will not make much of a difference. Just leave it, Pry, you can't see shit outside of a tank. And when you're isolated and surrounded by enemy infantry, you're good as dead. Better to stay on your feet and depend on your instincts rather than try to play tin man.

(I need to step in, as there's a misconception and I don't want to be deceitful, it's an armored car/truck not a tank. Take that info in any way you want.)

A vehicule in which we can go faster and benefit from more protection than if we were on foot. Less firepower than a tank, but more speed. However, you are right, Heisenberg. Maybe it’s better if we are on foot. We will be sneakier and to move without risking to hurt someone on our side by accident. 1.

My question is where is the need to be sneaky? We are assaulting a building trying to recapture it, in other words, this is a full on frontal assault. While stealth can be advantageous in certain circumstances, a scenario where the enemy knows we are coming straight for them is not one of these situations. On the other hand, the boon of having an armoured truck on our side is immense. The enemy is certainly heavily fortified, and while some of us may be able to sneak close, the rest will be picked off one by one. Capturing the truck gives us much greater mobility to transport our troops to a distance where they can inflict maximum damage and also gives us a potent tool to help us break through their fortifications.

(As a side note, it was mentioned that the Mutineer was stolen from our side in the first place. I'm sure the higher-ups would appreciate getting this asset back. The fact that this vehicle is a truck instead of a tank means it is much easier to capture than a tank that is heavily armoured and only has one access point.)

Edit:
Pryno Pryno Felis Felis What do you guys think?

Last edited:
My question is where is the need to be sneaky? We are assaulting a building trying to recapture it, in other words, this is a full on frontal assault. While stealth can be advantageous in certain circumstances, a scenario where the enemy knows we are coming straight for them is not one of these situations. On the other hand, the boon of having an armoured truck on our side is immense. The enemy is certainly heavily fortified, and while some of us may be able to sneak close, the rest will be picked off one by one. Capturing the truck gives us much greater mobility to transport our troops to a distance where they can inflict maximum damage and also gives us a potent tool to help us break through their fortifications.

(As a side note, it was mentioned that the Mutineer was stolen from our side in the first place. I'm sure the higher-ups would appreciate getting this asset back. The fact that this vehicle is a truck instead of a tank means it is much easier to capture than a tank that is heavily armoured and only has one access point.)

2. All right, you have a point. We might be risking a lot now but if we succeed we'll gain a powerful weapon to use. I just wanted to opt for caution, but if we're going to attack we need to be aggressive.

Uhh... Well, alright then. With all these arguments for taking the riskier option, I'm persuaded to change my vote to option 2.
I'm still not sure this will go well, but hey, let's try, I guess.

(Ok so I guess this vote completely shifted in the other direction, I had to hold off on writing when I realized things were shifting due to discussions also sorry for the wait again! Option 2 has been chosen with 4 votes!)

You raise your rifle, quickly rushing in as you duck in under the range of the machine gun, until you're pressed up against the armored car. You quickly press your foot against the armored car, pulling yourself onto the armored car. You quickly raise your rifle as you stare at the gunner from his armored position, raising your rifle to point at his back. You fire as he frantically attempts to escape your shot, half-climbing out of the truck before you shoot him twice through the chest and he rolls off the car. You quickly raise your rifle, staring into the main bulk of the armored car, where the driver and engineer sit, quickly turning to see what's going on. You raise your rifle, before the engineer grabs it by the barrel, nearly pulling you toppling into the armored car.

The driver raises his pistol, firing up through the gunner's seat and hitting you in the chest. You stumble backwards as the next few shots blow through your chest, before you topple off the car, smacking into the ground with a thud.

(And it looks like we have another death, I have to admit this is a record for you guys dying in one of my quests lol. But yeah this was a more risky decision, and the dice didn't unfortunately cooperate, so since there was only one other option, as per usual Option 1 is the only one selected by default!)

You pull your grenade out of your hand, tearing the pin from the grenade. You chuck it through the air, as it bounces along the pavement before rolling to a pause next to the armored car. It explodes, spraying shrapnel into the car as it blows a hole in the side of the armored car. The armored car tries to reverse, but shrapnel has torn the armored car wheels straight off, and it's left unable to move. This quickly leaves the Mutineer vulnerable to artillery, anti-tank weapons and anything else the Free State can bring to the table.

You stay in cover, watching as the crew of the Mutineer clamber out of the armored car, hurrying to rush back towards the Eastern wing. Without the support of the armored car, the other IRA soldiers still quickly begin retreating back to the building and hurrying inside. The Free State soldiers hurry to push up to the disabled Mutineer, where you quickly rejoin them. Then, your Free State commander who is leading your mission appears, quickly assembling the group to send them off on their missions, to break up and take the next few objectives.

"Ok, we're splitting off!" the Free State commander says. "We're sending soldiers to storm the Eastern Wing to take control of the building and force the enemy out of this place. We're also sending soldiers to go take O'Connell street, where Cathal Brugha and a group of IRA soldiers have attacked. We need some men to capture Brugha and end the attack. Finally, we need a segment to circle around, cutting off the chance for the anti-Treaty leaders to escape down the river and continue this fight. Any volunteers?"

1. Push in to take the Eastern Wing

2. Circle around and cut off their escape

3. Move to secure O'Connell Street

(Ok so I guess this vote completely shifted in the other direction, I had to hold off on writing when I realized things were shifting due to discussions also sorry for the wait again! Option 2 has been chosen with 4 votes!)

You raise your rifle, quickly rushing in as you duck in under the range of the machine gun, until you're pressed up against the armored car. You quickly press your foot against the armored car, pulling yourself onto the armored car. You quickly raise your rifle as you stare at the gunner from his armored position, raising your rifle to point at his back. You fire as he frantically attempts to escape your shot, half-climbing out of the truck before you shoot him twice through the chest and he rolls off the car. You quickly raise your rifle, staring into the main bulk of the armored car, where the driver and engineer sit, quickly turning to see what's going on. You raise your rifle, before the engineer grabs it by the barrel, nearly pulling you toppling into the armored car.

The driver raises his pistol, firing up through the gunner's seat and hitting you in the chest. You stumble backwards as the next few shots blow through your chest, before you topple off the car, smacking into the ground with a thud.

(And it looks like we have another death, I have to admit this is a record for you guys dying in one of my quests lol. But yeah this was a more risky decision, and the dice didn't unfortunately cooperate, so since there was only one other option, as per usual Option 1 is the only one selected by default!)

You pull your grenade out of your hand, tearing the pin from the grenade. You chuck it through the air, as it bounces along the pavement before rolling to a pause next to the armored car. It explodes, spraying shrapnel into the car as it blows a hole in the side of the armored car. The armored car tries to reverse, but shrapnel has torn the armored car wheels straight off, and it's left unable to move. This quickly leaves the Mutineer vulnerable to artillery, anti-tank weapons and anything else the Free State can bring to the table.

You stay in cover, watching as the crew of the Mutineer clamber out of the armored car, hurrying to rush back towards the Eastern wing. Without the support of the armored car, the other IRA soldiers still quickly begin retreating back to the building and hurrying inside. The Free State soldiers hurry to push up to the disabled Mutineer, where you quickly rejoin them. Then, your Free State commander who is leading your mission appears, quickly assembling the group to send them off on their missions, to break up and take the next few objectives.

"Ok, we're splitting off!" the Free State commander says. "We're sending soldiers to storm the Eastern Wing to take control of the building and force the enemy out of this place. We're also sending soldiers to go take O'Connell street, where Cathal Brugha and a group of IRA soldiers have attacked. We need some men to capture Brugha and end the attack. Finally, we need a segment to circle around, cutting off the chance for the anti-Treaty leaders to escape down the river and continue this fight. Any volunteers?"

1. Push in to take the Eastern Wing

2. Circle around and cut off their escape

3. Move to secure O'Connell Street

1. Attack attack attack!

2. I want to make sure that the capture is made as peacefully as possible, to avoid losses on both sides.

(Whelp, we tried.)

3 seems the most interesting to me, with the potential to both fight and capture, so I'm going with that.

(Option 3 has been chosen with 2 votes!)

You volunteer to O'Connell street, quickly pushing up with the other National soldiers as you secure the street. Cathal Brugha and his allies have fortified their position, using rifles to hold off your forces from pushing forward and finishing your take-over of the Four Courts. You wait in a stand-off for several hours, waiting patiently to capture Brugha and his allies.

After a long exchange of gunfire, however, Brugha calls out to you.

"My men are surrendering," Cathal Brugha shouts above the din of battle. "For god's sake, don't shoot them!"

"That's good," you call back. "No one needs to die today. At least, no one else."

"That's not entirely true," Cathal Brugha chuckles grimly. "I'm armed with a revolver, and I will not surrender to a puppet of the state we once fought against. Unlike my men, I am going to go down fighting. I repeat, my men surrender, but I do not, and am coming out, armed and ready to fight."

"Cathal, for god's sake...!" you begin to shout.

"God bless Eireann! (Ireland)" Cathal Brugha cries out, moving out of cover with his revolver raised.

1. Kill Cathal Brugha

2. Force Cathal Brugha to surrender

(Option 3 has been chosen with 2 votes!)

You volunteer to O'Connell street, quickly pushing up with the other National soldiers as you secure the street. Cathal Brugha and his allies have fortified their position, using rifles to hold off your forces from pushing forward and finishing your take-over of the Four Courts. You wait in a stand-off for several hours, waiting patiently to capture Brugha and his allies.

After a long exchange of gunfire, however, Brugha calls out to you.

"My men are surrendering," Cathal Brugha shouts above the din of battle. "For god's sake, don't shoot them!"

"That's good," you call back. "No one needs to die today. At least, no one else."

"That's not entirely true," Cathal Brugha chuckles grimly. "I'm armed with a revolver, and I will not surrender to a puppet of the state we once fought against. Unlike my men, I am going to go down fighting. I repeat, my men surrender, but I do not, and am coming out, armed and ready to fight."

"Cathal, for god's sake...!" you begin to shout.

"God bless Eireann! (Ireland)" Cathal Brugha cries out, moving out of cover with his revolver raised.

1. Kill Cathal Brugha

2. Force Cathal Brugha to surrender

1. Give him the death he craves for.

Oh, come on! There has to be a solution that doesn’t involve killing or humiliating him. We were his brother in arms. He will listen. We have to at least give it a try. 2.

Actually, I kind of doubt he will listen to anyone right now, but I agree that we should at least try. So option 2 for me as well, though I'm not convinced it'll work out.

There are many ways to get him to surrender such as talking him down, or injuring him. We should explore these first.

Yes, sure, talk to him, talk to a crazed man with a gun in his hand. One that's ready to die any moment now. One that's determined to shoot the fuck out of people who he calls traitors to Ireland. That's a great way to get yourself killed. By the time he's done with you, you'll be a bleeding corpse kissing the ground! Just let him do his propaganda piece, he's taking a gamble of his own, you know. Your odds are surer, and his death certain, so no need to waste time by sweet-talking him to death.

(Option 2 has been chosen with 3 votes!)

You move forward, aiming your rifle carefully as you aim at him.

"We're not going to kill you, Mr Brugha!" you say. "Just surrender, and you'll be treated honorably!"

"This is a shame!" Cathal Brugha says. "I'm sorry then, I'm going to have to force your hand then."

Cathal Brugha rushes to reach down for his revolver, drawing it from the holster as he raises it up to aim at you.

1. Fire your rifle

2. Tackle him

(Option 2 has been chosen with 3 votes!)

You move forward, aiming your rifle carefully as you aim at him.

"We're not going to kill you, Mr Brugha!" you say. "Just surrender, and you'll be treated honorably!"

"This is a shame!" Cathal Brugha says. "I'm sorry then, I'm going to have to force your hand then."

Cathal Brugha rushes to reach down for his revolver, drawing it from the holster as he raises it up to aim at you.

1. Fire your rifle

2. Tackle him

1. Shoot him 'till he can't raise a gun at you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back