• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Saoirse (Irish Revolutionary Period Historical Questlog) *COMPLETED*

(Sorry for the delay everyone, but Option 1 has been unanimously been chosen with 4 votes!)

"Fuck it," you say. "We have the guns. Let's give those Black and Tans something to shoot at."

"Yeah, alright," Joseph nods. "On three?"

"Three, two..."

You step out from behind the fire engine. A bullet thuds into the ground next to you, skipping off the street. The two of you raise your guns in unison, opening fire on the building. Bullets thud around the window as the soldiers firing from inside duck down.

"IRA! IRA soldiers are attacking! Two in sight!" you hear.

"Ok, let's go," you say, hurrying down the road.

You fumble to reload your revolver, rushing down the road. You twist around, aiming at the window and opening fire. The soldiers begin bursting out of the now flaming city hall, rushing after you as you turn, rushing down the street.

You burst down the street, hurrying around the corner as you rush as quickly as you can. Your boots thud along the pavement as you rush as quickly as you can, occasionally turning around to fire back at the men who are sprinting after you,

"Michael, we need to get out of here! What's the plan?"

"Stop shooting and run faster! Maybe we can lose them!" you say.

You continue to rush down the street, as the gunfire intensifies.

"They're shooting at us! Plan?!" Joseph yells.

"I'm thinking!" you between breaths as you keep sprinting away.

"I don't see them, what's the plan?" Joseph asks, breathing heavily as he sprints.

"Ok, fine. I have an idea."

1. Hide

2. Keep running

3. Stand and fight

2. Hide? Where? Under the basement? Up the roof? In some abandoned room? These people are torching everything down to the ground, and if you're unlucky you'll be trapped in some godforsaken corner with only the flames to keep you company. If it were up to me, I'd rather keep myself on my toes, and keep running. Put as much distance between you and your pursuers, soon you'll lose them, and waste their damned time. You can try putting up a fight, but you don't know how many of them there are, where they are, and you don't have enough firepower to fight even a squad of them with just your revolvers. You may get lucky and kill them off, but even then most of you'd get shot.

(Sorry for the very long delay everyone! Anyway Option 1 has been chosen with 3 votes, also in case people won't get a notif about this post ViciousVip3R ViciousVip3R Pryno Pryno Historical Storyteller Historical Storyteller Felis Felis )

"We hide!" you whisper loudly, grabbing Joseph and quickly rushing into the nearest building.

You push through the door to a shop that's been abandoned in the chaos, smashing open the door as you find the shopkeeper thankfully left it unlocked in his desperation to escape.

"IRA! Come out!" a voice screams.

"Stay low and quiet," you whisper.

"I'm not an idiot!" Joseph replies.

"No one saw them escape. They must've went into one of the building!" another voice cries.

"We'll search from door to door until we find them," another suggests.

"And risk our lives? No, too much risk and too time consuming," the first voice says.

"Then we burn them out. For the boys at Kilmichael," another voice says.

You continue hiding, as you hear the Black and Tans outside begin continuing their acts of arson on the surrendering buildings in the area. Unfortunately, as the walls as splashed and soaked with gasoline and set alight, the building quickly erupts into flame.

Soon, flames begin bursting through the walls of the room. You wait, hoping they'll go away, as the entire house is quickly engulfed in flames.

You stay low, refusing to leave, as the flames continue to spread through the building. Smoke begins to spread through the room, until it completely fills it, the flames spreading so quickly that they're licking at your heels.

It's not the flames that are your end, it's the smoke. Refusing to leave, it soon becomes a struggle to breath. Smoke fills your lungs, even though you stay low, it soon becomes a struggle to breath. Then, it's impossible. You end up choking on the floor. Eventually you break, trying to find a way out of the smoke-filled building, but it's impossible, as the endless see of gray smoke and ash consumes you, and you drown in it. Minutes later, the smell of cooking meat spreads out among the smoke that floods through city.

(Looks like a bad dice roll made you meat your end. Eh...? Ehhhhhh? Terrible pun...? Alright then, I will leave, screw the Irish, this story is over! Bye!)

*God Save the Queen plays as the narrator has left.*

(Oh screw it you guys wouldn't stop doing this for such a petty reason! Let's get back to the usual!)

"Fuck it," you say. "We have the guns. Let's give those Black and Tans something to shoot at."

"Three, two..."

You step out from behind the fire engine. A bullet thuds into the ground next to you, skipping off the street. The two of you raise your guns in unison, opening fire on the building. Bullets thud around the window as the soldiers firing from inside duck down.

You fumble to reload your revolver, rushing down the road. You twist around, aiming at the window and opening fire. The soldiers begin bursting out of the now flaming city hall, rushing after you as you turn, rushing down the street.

You burst down the street, hurrying around the corner as you rush as quickly as you can. Your boots thud along the pavement as you rush as quickly as you can, occasionally turning around to fire back at the men who are sprinting after you,

"I don't see them, what's the plan?" Joseph asks, breathing heavily as he sprints.

1. Hide (This option killed you last time.)

2. Keep running

3. Stand and fight

(Sorry for the very long delay everyone! Anyway Option 1 has been chosen with 3 votes, also in case people won't get a notif about this post ViciousVip3R ViciousVip3R Pryno Pryno Historical Storyteller Historical Storyteller Felis Felis )

"We hide!" you whisper loudly, grabbing Joseph and quickly rushing into the nearest building.

You push through the door to a shop that's been abandoned in the chaos, smashing open the door as you find the shopkeeper thankfully left it unlocked in his desperation to escape.

"IRA! Come out!" a voice screams.

"Stay low and quiet," you whisper.

"I'm not an idiot!" Joseph replies.

"No one saw them escape. They must've went into one of the building!" another voice cries.

"We'll search from door to door until we find them," another suggests.

"And risk our lives? No, too much risk and too time consuming," the first voice says.

"Then we burn them out. For the boys at Kilmichael," another voice says.

You continue hiding, as you hear the Black and Tans outside begin continuing their acts of arson on the surrendering buildings in the area. Unfortunately, as the walls as splashed and soaked with gasoline and set alight, the building quickly erupts into flame.

Soon, flames begin bursting through the walls of the room. You wait, hoping they'll go away, as the entire house is quickly engulfed in flames.

You stay low, refusing to leave, as the flames continue to spread through the building. Smoke begins to spread through the room, until it completely fills it, the flames spreading so quickly that they're licking at your heels.

It's not the flames that are your end, it's the smoke. Refusing to leave, it soon becomes a struggle to breath. Smoke fills your lungs, even though you stay low, it soon becomes a struggle to breath. Then, it's impossible. You end up choking on the floor. Eventually you break, trying to find a way out of the smoke-filled building, but it's impossible, as the endless see of gray smoke and ash consumes you, and you drown in it. Minutes later, the smell of cooking meat spreads out among the smoke that floods through city.

(Looks like a bad dice roll made you meat your end. Eh...? Ehhhhhh? Terrible pun...? Alright then, I will leave, screw the Irish, this story is over! Bye!)

*God Save the Queen plays as the narrator has left.*

(Oh screw it you guys wouldn't stop doing this for such a petty reason! Let's get back to the usual!)

"Three, two..."

1. Hide (This option killed you last time.)

2. Keep running

3. Stand and fight

2. Hey, hiding wasn't such a bad idea, you guys just got unlucky with a bad dice roll. That and Mikey here decided to sit inside a flaming building 'till his ass got burned. I figure that Joseph and Michael are good runners, so we stand a decent chance of making it out alive by flight. Running still poses risk, as the British can put a few rounds behind your back if they so as much get a chance, so I advise taking sharp turns left and right to throw them off. If you somehow bump into them at close range, all the better, since you have revolvers and they have rifles. Make short work of them, go BA-BA-BANG! and keep running.

You'll never know what'll happen next. You could bump into more Black and Tans, meet up with your fellow Irishmen or run into a dead end. It's all up to chance now, but you've already made your decision, so you gotta run with it.

(Option 2 has been chosen unanimously!)

"Just keep running!" you say.

The two of you continue sprinting through the streets, disappearing down alleys and rushing through them to avoid patrols. Thankfully, your work with the IRA here means you know the various escape routes through the city, and it's not long before you've successfully outran them. After a few minutes of running, you've lost them in the complicated streets of Cork. Once you're sure you're definitely away from them, you quickly find yourself heading out to the outer areas of the city. You turn, looking back at the city center, which has gone up in flames.

"There's no way we can help. Today, all we can do is stare into the true face of the British."

You pause, as the city erupts into absolute chaos. There's distant screams and gunshots as the Black and Tans enact their revenge. The flames spread through the city, as city hall is engulfed. You watch as frantic Black and Tans exist out the side. Seconds later, a fireball, as whatever the Black and Tans inside did comes to fruition, not doubt destroying the City Hall. You watch as the flames lick the black sky, feeling utterly helpless.

"Jesus," you mutter.

You watch the destruction of endless buildings, the end of dozens of businesses and the jobs from them. The Black and Tans have truly made their mark, showing just how far they're willing to go as they scorch their path across the second largest city in Ireland. They'll pay for this. This won't break the nationalist movement. It will only strengthen it.

"We need to get out of this city," Joseph says after a few minutes. "We can't let this happen to Dublin, or to Mary or Ma."

"We'll organize heading back," you nod.

You'll plan to organize a return soon enough. But for now, you just stare at the flaming city around you.

A Few Days Later...
After the burning of Cork, the focus of the British forces quickly shifts to a brutal suppression of Cork. With that, you and Joseph decide that your it's about time to return to Dublin. Given the escalation of the war, you're spending most of your time hidden out in safe-houses and drilling either way. Thus, you're left to head back North to Dublin. You make the arrangements with the Cork division. Apparently, Fionn has risen to a commander of a small flying column up there, and is more than happy to have the two of you come back to serve as his lieutenants, if only from the fact that he knows you and you've garnered a fair bit of experience in the past two years.

As the year shifts to 1921 and after several months in Cork, you and Joseph are heading home to Dublin.

You walk down the old track to the house, staring at he farm around you. It's fallen into a bit of disrepair, but it's actually better than expected. Fionn must've had a few of his men help out with a few things. You'll make sure to thank him for it.

You walk up to the old house, floorboards creaking as you move up the porch. You push into the old house, where Ma and Mary wait. Mary rushes up from her seat, wrapping her arms around you while Ma hobbles from behind to do the same. There's a brief moment where you're completely contented, allowed to hold your family again.

"Mary! Good to see you, sweetheart! You too, Ma! How are you two?" you say.

After a brief hug, you step back, looking down at Mary's sizable bump.

"You've certainly grown," you say with a smile. "Why didn't you tell us you were pregnant?"
"I didn't know how," Mary confesses, although a bit more solemn and quiet than you would've hope.

"Is that... ok? It's wanted, isn't it? I mean, premarital, sure, but..." you say.

"Is it Arthur?" Joseph interrupts. "Is that scrawny coward refusing to marry you or accept that it's his?"

"No, it's not that!" Mary says, as your homecoming quickly becomes emotional. "Arthur's been the best. He's been very sweet and kind and we're to marry in Spring."

"Then what is it?"

"I..." Mary says, before pausing, unsure of herself.

Ma squeezes Mary's hand, as she nods, closing her eyes as her voice quietens to little more than a whisper.

"I haven't actually... done it with Arthur," Mary says softly.

Your face darkens as a gloom sets in over you. Mary's not the type to cheat, obviously, which really leaves only one possibility. Joseph, perhaps a moment slower, laughs.

"So what, our sister's been gifted with the virgin birth like the original Mar..." Joseph seems to understand the situation about halfway through, and quiets down as a silence defends over the group.

"Does Arthur know?" you ask after a moment.

"He does," Mary nods.

"And he's still willing to marry and raise the child?" you ask, as Mary nods. "Then we just don't tell anybody what happens. Not the community, not the Church, not even the child. We can move past this."

Mary nods quietly, as tears begin to run down her face. You grab her, hugging her tightly against your chest.

"Don't worry, doll, we'll deal with that."

You all embrace each other, gently hoping you can get through this.

Months Later...
It's now April, 1921. After a few months back in Dublin, you've quickly went back into the thick of it, planning out ambushes and raids and serving with Joseph as Fionn's seconds. Ever since the Black and Tans showed up, there's been a huge amount of recruits, meaning you spend quite a bit of time training and drilling them. Although the war continues to be brutal, exhausting the forces of both the British and the Irish, it's clear the war's reaching a boiling point for both side. Victory or defeat is on the horizon, although you can't tell which.

You stroll into Fionn's farmhouse, followed by Joesph. Although it's not a training day and there's no attack planned, he's called for you to come talk to him. You move inside, where Joseph sits at his kitchen table, his little brother sitting next for him, buttering some bread.

"Oh, good, you're here," Fionn says. "Aidan, give us a few minutes, can you?"

"Can't I stay and listen?" Aidan asks, as Fionn shakes his head.

"No, get out of here," Fionn says, as Aidan leaves the room.

"Is everything alright?" Joseph asks.

"Not exactly. I need your help making a decision," Fionn asks. "I'm having a bit of trouble with loyalty."

"There's a traitor among our unit?"

"There may be, but if there is, it's me," Fionn laughs.

"You're not thinking of surrender, are you?" you ask, worried.

"Of course not. However, the President of the Dáil has asked for some of our men to attend an attack on the Customs House."

"And?" you ask.

"Eamon DeValera's plan is that a significant attack of like 120 IRA soldiers in full uniform on a major British target would help to show that we're not a terrorist movement of criminals. It'd be a huge propaganda victory and be a massive symbol for the success of our whole movement."

"So what's the issue?" Joseph asks.

"It'd be a massacre, that's the issue. Michael Collins pointed out that our success so far has been through guerilla warfare, and he's right. In outright battles, we'd be decimated. Michael Collins called for units to increase in guerilla warfare as a counter to this, but he's been outvoted. So I need to decide whether I'm lending my unit to the Customs House attack in a months time, or whether I'm to simply increase in our use of guerilla warfare and raise the attacks. So, I've come to you. We can join in the symbolic attack to prove we're a real army, so that maybe the outside world will recognize us and this war can end. Or, we can keep the fight going as guerilla fighters. I need your opinions."

"I'm not a tactician. I can lead in battle, but I sure as hell don't know how to command the forces on that grand a level," Joseph admits. "Michael?"

1. Follow Collins in an increase in ambushes and guerrilla warfare

2. Follow DeValera in the attack on the Customs House

I doubt that fighting in uniform will get any significant foreign countries to recognize us as a proper army, the influence of the British is just too strong. Thus, this sacrifice will have been for nothing. Our successes so far have depending solely on guerrilla fighting, so I don't see any need to abandon what has worked for us so far.

I agree. The lives of our fighters are worth more than an hypothetical symbolic recognition. 1.

(Option 2 has been chosen unanimously!)

"Just keep running!" you say.

The two of you continue sprinting through the streets, disappearing down alleys and rushing through them to avoid patrols. Thankfully, your work with the IRA here means you know the various escape routes through the city, and it's not long before you've successfully outran them. After a few minutes of running, you've lost them in the complicated streets of Cork. Once you're sure you're definitely away from them, you quickly find yourself heading out to the outer areas of the city. You turn, looking back at the city center, which has gone up in flames.

"There's no way we can help. Today, all we can do is stare into the true face of the British."

You pause, as the city erupts into absolute chaos. There's distant screams and gunshots as the Black and Tans enact their revenge. The flames spread through the city, as city hall is engulfed. You watch as frantic Black and Tans exist out the side. Seconds later, a fireball, as whatever the Black and Tans inside did comes to fruition, not doubt destroying the City Hall. You watch as the flames lick the black sky, feeling utterly helpless.

"Jesus," you mutter.

You watch the destruction of endless buildings, the end of dozens of businesses and the jobs from them. The Black and Tans have truly made their mark, showing just how far they're willing to go as they scorch their path across the second largest city in Ireland. They'll pay for this. This won't break the nationalist movement. It will only strengthen it.

"We need to get out of this city," Joseph says after a few minutes. "We can't let this happen to Dublin, or to Mary or Ma."

"We'll organize heading back," you nod.

You'll plan to organize a return soon enough. But for now, you just stare at the flaming city around you.

A Few Days Later...
After the burning of Cork, the focus of the British forces quickly shifts to a brutal suppression of Cork. With that, you and Joseph decide that your it's about time to return to Dublin. Given the escalation of the war, you're spending most of your time hidden out in safe-houses and drilling either way. Thus, you're left to head back North to Dublin. You make the arrangements with the Cork division. Apparently, Fionn has risen to a commander of a small flying column up there, and is more than happy to have the two of you come back to serve as his lieutenants, if only from the fact that he knows you and you've garnered a fair bit of experience in the past two years.

As the year shifts to 1921 and after several months in Cork, you and Joseph are heading home to Dublin.

You walk down the old track to the house, staring at he farm around you. It's fallen into a bit of disrepair, but it's actually better than expected. Fionn must've had a few of his men help out with a few things. You'll make sure to thank him for it.

You walk up to the old house, floorboards creaking as you move up the porch. You push into the old house, where Ma and Mary wait. Mary rushes up from her seat, wrapping her arms around you while Ma hobbles from behind to do the same. There's a brief moment where you're completely contented, allowed to hold your family again.

"Mary! Good to see you, sweetheart! You too, Ma! How are you two?" you say.

After a brief hug, you step back, looking down at Mary's sizable bump.

"You've certainly grown," you say with a smile. "Why didn't you tell us you were pregnant?"
"I didn't know how," Mary confesses, although a bit more solemn and quiet than you would've hope.

"Is that... ok? It's wanted, isn't it? I mean, premarital, sure, but..." you say.

"Is it Arthur?" Joseph interrupts. "Is that scrawny coward refusing to marry you or accept that it's his?"

"No, it's not that!" Mary says, as your homecoming quickly becomes emotional. "Arthur's been the best. He's been very sweet and kind and we're to marry in Spring."

"Then what is it?"

"I..." Mary says, before pausing, unsure of herself.

Ma squeezes Mary's hand, as she nods, closing her eyes as her voice quietens to little more than a whisper.

"I haven't actually... done it with Arthur," Mary says softly.

Your face darkens as a gloom sets in over you. Mary's not the type to cheat, obviously, which really leaves only one possibility. Joseph, perhaps a moment slower, laughs.

"So what, our sister's been gifted with the virgin birth like the original Mar..." Joseph seems to understand the situation about halfway through, and quiets down as a silence defends over the group.

"Does Arthur know?" you ask after a moment.

"He does," Mary nods.

"And he's still willing to marry and raise the child?" you ask, as Mary nods. "Then we just don't tell anybody what happens. Not the community, not the Church, not even the child. We can move past this."

Mary nods quietly, as tears begin to run down her face. You grab her, hugging her tightly against your chest.

"Don't worry, doll, we'll deal with that."

You all embrace each other, gently hoping you can get through this.

Months Later...
It's now April, 1921. After a few months back in Dublin, you've quickly went back into the thick of it, planning out ambushes and raids and serving with Joseph as Fionn's seconds. Ever since the Black and Tans showed up, there's been a huge amount of recruits, meaning you spend quite a bit of time training and drilling them. Although the war continues to be brutal, exhausting the forces of both the British and the Irish, it's clear the war's reaching a boiling point for both side. Victory or defeat is on the horizon, although you can't tell which.

You stroll into Fionn's farmhouse, followed by Joesph. Although it's not a training day and there's no attack planned, he's called for you to come talk to him. You move inside, where Joseph sits at his kitchen table, his little brother sitting next for him, buttering some bread.

"Oh, good, you're here," Fionn says. "Aidan, give us a few minutes, can you?"

"Can't I stay and listen?" Aidan asks, as Fionn shakes his head.

"No, get out of here," Fionn says, as Aidan leaves the room.

"Is everything alright?" Joseph asks.

"Not exactly. I need your help making a decision," Fionn asks. "I'm having a bit of trouble with loyalty."

"There's a traitor among our unit?"

"There may be, but if there is, it's me," Fionn laughs.

"You're not thinking of surrender, are you?" you ask, worried.

"Of course not. However, the President of the Dáil has asked for some of our men to attend an attack on the Customs House."

"And?" you ask.

"Eamon DeValera's plan is that a significant attack of like 120 IRA soldiers in full uniform on a major British target would help to show that we're not a terrorist movement of criminals. It'd be a huge propaganda victory and be a massive symbol for the success of our whole movement."

"So what's the issue?" Joseph asks.

"It'd be a massacre, that's the issue. Michael Collins pointed out that our success so far has been through guerilla warfare, and he's right. In outright battles, we'd be decimated. Michael Collins called for units to increase in guerilla warfare as a counter to this, but he's been outvoted. So I need to decide whether I'm lending my unit to the Customs House attack in a months time, or whether I'm to simply increase in our use of guerilla warfare and raise the attacks. So, I've come to you. We can join in the symbolic attack to prove we're a real army, so that maybe the outside world will recognize us and this war can end. Or, we can keep the fight going as guerilla fighters. I need your opinions."

"I'm not a tactician. I can lead in battle, but I sure as hell don't know how to command the forces on that grand a level," Joseph admits. "Michael?"

1. Follow Collins in an increase in ambushes and guerrilla warfare

2. Follow DeValera in the attack on the Customs House

2. Target the psyche of the British people. Sometimes, you don't need to win every battle that comes your way, all you need is a good scare that'll ruff them up! We already have the support of our own people, which gives us the strength to continue our revolution. Why can't we hit the British where it hurts most? Their peace of mind. They think they can just stroll all the way here and burn our homes down to the ground with no consequences, but we'll show them that the Irish can fight a real war head-to-head with their prized infantrymen. We can continue the war and fight forever, but just who will suffer most from our decisions? The civilians. Those people who want nothing to do with this war. All the men, the women, the children, and the elderly caught in this madness.

The assault on the Customs House will be a massacre. All 120 IRA soldiers might die, including you. But the war must end decisively, and for that to happen we need to score a huge success. Hundreds might die by next week, thousands more next month, soon everybody'll hate both the Irish and the British for the fucking mess they brought on all of 'em. This may not be the final battle, our fated showdown, but it sure as hell will turn the war around. It's tempting to sit this one out and let the President have his way, but if we want the British public to feel the sting of war we've got to commit our forces there for better or worse. Do it now, before the Irish people get tired of this war, or soon all you'll be left with are the lunatics.

I'm having a hard time deciding on this one.
On the one hand, I don't really like the current situation with ambushes from IRA and British retaliations on civilians alternating, since if this keeps up, things will just get worse and worse for everyone, especially for the civilians. So I think it may be good to try something different than what we've been doing so far. On the other hand, it's doubtful whether the open attack will do anything but kill the ones taking part in it, and of course I want us to survive as well.

But I'm going to say we have to try despite the odds and choose option 2, I think.

(Sorry for the delay everyone, had midterms to get through, anyway don't have a lot of time, but in a nutshell the Irish really don't have the men and resources or training to fight like a traditional army, there would be more long term success continuing what has been done so far, as its far more suited to taking on a war machine like the Brits, who no matter what will continue their reprisals. So Option 1 has been chosen by Tiebreaker!)

"We follow Collins' idea and increase guerilla warfare. Let them find their men from elsewhere for their suicidal attack on the Customs House. Make up some excuse for why you can't join. It's not like the Republican government is strong enough to actually see if we can or can't join in."

"Good advice, I suppose. I'll do that, then. We need to increase the amount of attacks. We'll be organizing an ambush soon enough. I heard there's an arms transport in about a week's time. I'll have our informants looking into that, and see we can do," Fionn says. "Goddamn, this war's never going to end. It'll be the death of every man here."

"We'll do our duty to the country. We'll never surrender. Eventually, Britain will break," Joseph says.

"I hope so. Fada beo Eireann (Long live Ireland)," you say quietly.

"Fada beo Eireann (Long live Ireland)," the other two say, as you sit there, wondering how far you'll need to push the British before you reach a breaking point.

A Few Weeks Later...
You stand in the road, staring down at the small barricade in front of you. In order to deal with the transport of arms and the movement of the Flying Columns, the British have set up barricades across country roads to try deal with this. You wait in cover, your squad slowly approaching the small checkpoint, with only two soldiers on duty. You aim your rifle, ready to take the checkpoint. Once that's yours, Fionn and Team 2 will set up for the ambush, while your men will join him. You and Joseph will take the uniforms off the soldiers, and you'll be used to slow the men down in order to let the ambush strike.

"Ok, we're in range. Do we open fire?" Joseph asks.

"Wait," you say, nodding at the four soldiers with you, two new recruits, Liam, an old veteran from back when you served in Dublin, and Joseph. You stare down at them, your gun raised.

"Maybe. We could try to force a surrender."

"Dealing with prisoners during this kind of thing could be hard," Joseph says.

"But we'll get the uniforms in better condition," you say.

"We should kill them all! We don't leave Brits alive!" one of the recruits says. "Black and Tans...!"
"These aren't Black and Tans. They're soldiers. They're just doing their job. It's better to take them alive," Liam says.

"Michael, what's the order?"

1. Open fire

2. Attempt to force a surrender

(Sorry for the delay everyone, had midterms to get through, anyway don't have a lot of time, but in a nutshell the Irish really don't have the men and resources or training to fight like a traditional army, there would be more long term success continuing what has been done so far, as its far more suited to taking on a war machine like the Brits, who no matter what will continue their reprisals. So Option 1 has been chosen by Tiebreaker!)

"We follow Collins' idea and increase guerilla warfare. Let them find their men from elsewhere for their suicidal attack on the Customs House. Make up some excuse for why you can't join. It's not like the Republican government is strong enough to actually see if we can or can't join in."

"Good advice, I suppose. I'll do that, then. We need to increase the amount of attacks. We'll be organizing an ambush soon enough. I heard there's an arms transport in about a week's time. I'll have our informants looking into that, and see we can do," Fionn says. "Goddamn, this war's never going to end. It'll be the death of every man here."

"We'll do our duty to the country. We'll never surrender. Eventually, Britain will break," Joseph says.

"I hope so. Fada beo Eireann (Long live Ireland)," you say quietly.

"Fada beo Eireann (Long live Ireland)," the other two say, as you sit there, wondering how far you'll need to push the British before you reach a breaking point.

A Few Weeks Later...
You stand in the road, staring down at the small barricade in front of you. In order to deal with the transport of arms and the movement of the Flying Columns, the British have set up barricades across country roads to try deal with this. You wait in cover, your squad slowly approaching the small checkpoint, with only two soldiers on duty. You aim your rifle, ready to take the checkpoint. Once that's yours, Fionn and Team 2 will set up for the ambush, while your men will join him. You and Joseph will take the uniforms off the soldiers, and you'll be used to slow the men down in order to let the ambush strike.

"Ok, we're in range. Do we open fire?" Joseph asks.

"Wait," you say, nodding at the four soldiers with you, two new recruits, Liam, an old veteran from back when you served in Dublin, and Joseph. You stare down at them, your gun raised.

"Maybe. We could try to force a surrender."

"Dealing with prisoners during this kind of thing could be hard," Joseph says.

"But we'll get the uniforms in better condition," you say.

"We should kill them all! We don't leave Brits alive!" one of the recruits says. "Black and Tans...!"
"These aren't Black and Tans. They're soldiers. They're just doing their job. It's better to take them alive," Liam says.

"Michael, what's the order?"

1. Open fire

2. Attempt to force a surrender

1. Just shoot the bastards.

No! Don’t. They haven’t committed any atrocitie, they probably have a family and we shall prove that we are better than the British to the population. Besides, prisonners can be hidden; a gunshot can’t be. Yes, we are on an isolated country road, but the very existence of this checkpoint means that British soldiers are passing here often. 2!

Historical Storyteller Historical Storyteller , we are often having similar positions. Why yours? Why, in this particular instance, should we use cruelty instead of mercy?

I'm in favor of option 2, too. Even leaving moral arguments aside, getting these uniforms without prominent bloodstains etc. on them sounds like it's worth a try, doesn't it?

The arguments for 2 have already been articulated.

(Midterms are killing me too lol. Last one is Monday, then I have a week and a half before the second round of midterms start. :/)

No! Don’t. They haven’t committed any atrocitie, they probably have a family and we shall prove that we are better than the British to the population. Besides, prisonners can be hidden; a gunshot can’t be. Yes, we are on an isolated country road, but the very existence of this checkpoint means that British soldiers are passing here often. 2!

Historical Storyteller Historical Storyteller , we are often having similar positions. Why yours? Why, in this particular instance, should we use cruelty instead of mercy?

This is one of those decisions where I'm okay with what happens either way. There's simply too much I can't foresee to be sure of my own judgment, but I opt to pick option 1 anyway. It's true, if we fight with the sentries we'll make a hell of a lot of noise and ruin the uniforms, possibly screwing up the ambush later on. And if a patrol happens to be passing by we'll be in a load of trouble, much more so if a convoy is headed straight for us. So why go through all of this trouble if we can sneak up on them, surround them, and give them a chance to surrender at the last moment?

That's because if they decide to fight anyway, its all for nothing, and if you give them a chance to fight back, you will pay in blood. Your blood and the blood of your comrades. Just remember, the stakes are high here, we can't worry about what happens to these Brits, we have to worry about our own. If you care so much about the British, you'll end up leaving your own countrymen behind. This is a war and you'll have to pick sides, you're a member of the Irish resistance; you can't be impartial here and you certainly aren't a neutral party.

We could take them prisoner, but what if they decide to run away or scream at the top of their lungs to warn their comrades? See what I mean? You can't be impartial. You gotta pick sides. If you don't, the British will sure as hell pick themselves! If they do surrender, keep them prisoner, but do you know what that means? It means you'll have less men for your ambush, less men watching your back, less men fighting the Brits. Its amazing really, all these prisoners have to do is sit down and do nothing and they're already damaging the war effort.

Last edited:
(Option 2 has been chosen with 3 votes!)

"We force a surrender," you say. "No need to kill them when we can just as easily capture them. Liam, Ronan, move to the left flank. Conor, Edward, right flank. Give them the idea that they're surrounded."

The other two forces begin moving off to the flanks slowly, before you give the signal to push up. As you edge closer, you finally hold up a fist, before rising so you, and more importantly, your rifle, are more visible.

"Hands in the air!" you order with a barking shout. "You're outnumbered and outgunned!"

The first soldier frantically tries to draw his rifle, but instead, drops it by accident. The second pauses, before slowly lowering his rifle, tossing it to the ground as he holds up his hands.

"We surrender! Don't shoot!" one of the soldiers says.

The other one raises his hands, although more sternly, a look of anger on his face.

"Keep your guns aimed at them," you say. "Joseph and I will retrieve their rifles."

You begin moving down to the road, rifles raised to make sure the soldiers don't try anything. You quickly take their rifles, staring up at them. Joseph begins to tie up the hands of one of them, while you go for the other.

"You are now prisoners of war of the Irish Republic," you say. "For the best you surrendered. We had half a dozen rifles on you."

"I've been taken prisoner. I didn't surrender," the soldier says, determined.

"It sure seems like you did," you say, gesturing to his hands.

You grab his wrist, pulling it behind his back and you begin binding his hands together.

"You can only surrender to a foreign army. There's no army here, only a bunch of traitors to the crown and terrorists."

You punch the man in the back of the head, dropping him to his knees.

"Good to know. Well, let's get you out of that uniform."

You take the cap form the officer, popping it on your head. You unbutton the man's trousers in an admittedly awkward time, before pulling off his boots. You pull off his trousers, before you finally struggle to take off the jacket, removing his bindings temporarily before you tie him up again. Thankfully, he doesn't try anything, and neither does Joseph's prisoner.

You pull the jacket on, before removing the man's boots and trousers. It's not long before you're fully dressed, as is Joseph. You nod to other three soldiers.

"Ok, I'm finished. Take these prisoners out and find somewhere to hide them out of view. Then, leave a man guarding them and have the other two join up with Team 2."

The other soldiers nod, pulling the prisoners up and quickly leading them away. You turn to Joseph, who grins at you, looking spiff and span in his pristine uniform.

"How do I look? Charming?" Joseph smiles.

"Yeah, you look fine. How about mine?"

"Nah, you look perfect. We should be fine."

You stand by the road as the ambush position is set up, as you patiently wait as the rest of the unit dumps the bodies off in a field and sets up the ambush.

After about an hour, the two weapons transports begin approaching. Two trucks filled with a mixture of soldiers and weaponry. You wait patiently, as the truck begins approaching. You stand by the road, holding up a hand to motion for them to stop.

"They're slowing down," Joseph says. "Thank Christ."

You pause, wondering what's going on as a mixture of emotions crosses the front driver's face. The truck stops slowing down, although it doesn't speed up either. You stand straight and continue gesturing, trying to stay calm and casual.

"They might've noticed something," Joseph says. "Stay calm or hit now?"

1. Draw your pistol and attack

2. Signal your allies to attack

3. Keep trying to get the truck to stop

(Option 2 has been chosen with 3 votes!)

"We force a surrender," you say. "No need to kill them when we can just as easily capture them. Liam, Ronan, move to the left flank. Conor, Edward, right flank. Give them the idea that they're surrounded."

The other two forces begin moving off to the flanks slowly, before you give the signal to push up. As you edge closer, you finally hold up a fist, before rising so you, and more importantly, your rifle, are more visible.

"Hands in the air!" you order with a barking shout. "You're outnumbered and outgunned!"

The first soldier frantically tries to draw his rifle, but instead, drops it by accident. The second pauses, before slowly lowering his rifle, tossing it to the ground as he holds up his hands.

"We surrender! Don't shoot!" one of the soldiers says.

The other one raises his hands, although more sternly, a look of anger on his face.

"Keep your guns aimed at them," you say. "Joseph and I will retrieve their rifles."

You begin moving down to the road, rifles raised to make sure the soldiers don't try anything. You quickly take their rifles, staring up at them. Joseph begins to tie up the hands of one of them, while you go for the other.

"You are now prisoners of war of the Irish Republic," you say. "For the best you surrendered. We had half a dozen rifles on you."

"I've been taken prisoner. I didn't surrender," the soldier says, determined.

"It sure seems like you did," you say, gesturing to his hands.

You grab his wrist, pulling it behind his back and you begin binding his hands together.

"You can only surrender to a foreign army. There's no army here, only a bunch of traitors to the crown and terrorists."

You punch the man in the back of the head, dropping him to his knees.

"Good to know. Well, let's get you out of that uniform."

You take the cap form the officer, popping it on your head. You unbutton the man's trousers in an admittedly awkward time, before pulling off his boots. You pull off his trousers, before you finally struggle to take off the jacket, removing his bindings temporarily before you tie him up again. Thankfully, he doesn't try anything, and neither does Joseph's prisoner.

You pull the jacket on, before removing the man's boots and trousers. It's not long before you're fully dressed, as is Joseph. You nod to other three soldiers.

"Ok, I'm finished. Take these prisoners out and find somewhere to hide them out of view. Then, leave a man guarding them and have the other two join up with Team 2."

The other soldiers nod, pulling the prisoners up and quickly leading them away. You turn to Joseph, who grins at you, looking spiff and span in his pristine uniform.

"How do I look? Charming?" Joseph smiles.

"Yeah, you look fine. How about mine?"

"Nah, you look perfect. We should be fine."

You stand by the road as the ambush position is set up, as you patiently wait as the rest of the unit dumps the bodies off in a field and sets up the ambush.

After about an hour, the two weapons transports begin approaching. Two trucks filled with a mixture of soldiers and weaponry. You wait patiently, as the truck begins approaching. You stand by the road, holding up a hand to motion for them to stop.

"They're slowing down," Joseph says. "Thank Christ."

You pause, wondering what's going on as a mixture of emotions crosses the front driver's face. The truck stops slowing down, although it doesn't speed up either. You stand straight and continue gesturing, trying to stay calm and casual.

"They might've noticed something," Joseph says. "Stay calm or hit now?"

1. Draw your pistol and attack

2. Signal your allies to attack

3. Keep trying to get the truck to stop

3. Give the driver the benefit of the doubt. He's scared, everybody is, especially in hostile territory, but as a guard of the Crown you've got to make sure everything's in order. Chat up with the soldiers, make them know that God is on their side, encourage them to fight the good fight. Make them feel at home in Ireland. When all is said and done and their guard is down, that is when you strike.

That moment when you start a debate and then forget to check on RPNation. Oups.

Anyway, I agree with Heisenberg on this one. Let’s get their thrust. 3!

(Option 3 has been chosen unanimously with 4 votes!)

You continue waving down at the truck, keeping calm and giving them a charming smile. You wave them down, indicating for them to slow down.

"Fucking Christ, this isn't going to work," Joseph mutters.

The driver slows down, as he leans out the window, looking at you.

"Evening. we're...!"

Immediately, you raise your fist as soon as the truck stops, right in the center of your ambush point. Immediately, a volley of shots goes off as you dive behind cover with Joseph, the two of you raising your rifles. You open fire, as the two driver's are killed by dozens of bullets. You raise your rifle, joining your gunfire into the massacre. They're quickly surrounded and gunned down, the soldiers barely managing to climb out of their trucks before they're shot and killed. Within a minute of fighting, the battle is over, and you're the victors.

"Alright!" you shout. "Push forward, men! Capture the trucks so we can get these arms."

Today is victory, without a doubt. You've secured a shipment of arms, eliminated a British convoy and even taken a pair of prisoners, even if you'll have to release them due to your mobile nature and lack of actual territory to build prisons for them. These victories will be hard to come by in the long, hard battle ahead, but they're all the more sweet to savor for that.

Weeks Pass...
Over the following weeks, you continue launching attacks, but it becomes clear you're losing men and running under-supplied as the war goes on. It becomes a serious question of how hard you can keep fighting. You desperately push against the British, hitting them hard and aggressively, but you don't know how long you'll be able to continue the fight.

The burning of the Customs House is a mixed bag. 120 Irish soldiers storm the building, setting it up in flames. The building burns for five whole days, being completely destroyed by fire. Although it's a huge propaganda victory, it's a serious military loss. Not a single British soldier or police officer was killed, while on the Irish side, the losses were intense. Five men killed, with 80 being captured after the undersupplied force ran out of ammo. Commander Tom Ennis managed to escape, but took two bullets to the leg. It soon becomes clear that the war is being lost.

All you can do is continue fighting. You promise yourself you won't break until the Irish flag flies free and proud.

It's May 11th, and you're at Fionn's house with an assortment of local leaders and lieutenants. The fighting has taken a small break, and you're looking to the future. The war needs to change, and you need to start doing something serious, to hurt the British where it'll do some damage.

Rory O'Connor stands in the center, looking over a large map. You all stand around him, listening to him talk.

"We need to do some serious damage, and hurt them where it'll matter. Their pockets. We're going to send soldiers over to England, to show them that the war will hurt them just as much as us. We're going to hit economic targets, like the Liverpool docks, and bomb the ever loving shit out of them!"

"Irishmen will stick out like a sore thumb over there," Fionn says.

"There's many of us over there, economic migrants and dock workers and that. Plus, it'll be easier to evade capture seeing as they're not under martial rule. They want to put their whole country under martial rule, then we're golden, because that just convinces the whole of Britain that this war isn't worth f...!"

A young man bursts through the door, panting as he nearly collapses on the table in exhaustion.

"Damn, catch your breath, boy," Rory O'Connor says, standing back. "What's wrong?"

The boy looks up at him, explaining between breaths.

"There's a... truce! The war... it's over!"

"A truce?" Tom Ennis asks.

"Eamon DeValera and the other Dáil politicians have organized a truce."

There's a murmur of discussions breaking out from among the group.

"Thank god," Joseph says to you. "We could use a break from the fighting. This'll give us a chance to regroup, recruit and rearm in preparation for the war to start up again."

"What makes you so sure the war isn't over?" you ask him.

"The British won't give us what we want. We haven't pushed them far enough," Joseph says. "This won't be the end, I'm sure."

"I hope you're wrong, Joseph. I hope you're wrong."

Seven Months Later...

The war does not continue. Shortly after, negotiations begin between the Republican Government and the British government. President of Dáil Eireann, Eamon DeValera, visits London four times, before finally a delegation is sent over for negotiations.
Negotiating for Britain was Prime Minister David Lloyd George, Lord Chancelor Lord Birkenhead, Leader of the House of Commons Austen Chamberlain, Secrety of State for the Colonies Winston Churchill, Secretary of State for War Sir Laming Worthington-Evans, Attorney General Sir Gordon Hewart and Chief Secretary for Ireland Sir Hamar Greenwood.

On the Irish side, Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs and famed nationalist politician Arthur Griffith is chairman, accompanied by Secretary of Finance and military general Michael Collins, Secretary for Economic Affairs Robert Barton, and two Members of British Parliament and members of Dáil Eireann, Eamonn Duggan and George Gavan Duffy.

Strangely, President of Dáil Eamon DeValera chooses not to attend. Although reasons were not given, there's rumors that he knew whatever deal the Irish delegation could manage to argue for would certainly be far less than wanted, and he wanted someone to pin the blame on.

The negotiations are long and hard. The Anglo-Irish Treaty is devised, but it involves both sides sacrificing quite a bit. The Irish delegation refuses to sign it without consulting DeValera and the Dáil. Eventually, under threat of taking the two countries to war again, a final ultimatum is made: sign the treaty, or continue the war. With little choice, the delegation takes the former option.

The Treaty was a long, complicated document, but the main things were these: Crown forces would withdraw from most of Ireland. Ireland was to become a self-governing dominion of the British Empire, similar to Australia, Canada or South Africa. The British King would be the Head of State of the new state, known as the Irish Free State, or Saorstát Éireann. The new free state's parliament would swear an oath of allegiance to the Irish Free State. The more Protestant, Unionist Northern Ireland would withdraw from the Free State, becoming it's own dominion of Britain with it's own parliament. Britain would control a number of Treaty Ports in Ireland. Ireland would draft it's own constitution giving it power of itself, but Britain would decide it's policies in terms of foreign affairs and war.

The treaty was met with a mixed bag. In many ways, it was far more than anyone had dreamed of before 1916. On the other hand, the idea of a free, independent Irish Republic was what many men had fought for, and was what many men had died for. Many saw it as a betrayal of principle to bow down to the crown after what they'd done.

There's along debate in the Dáil, with Eamon DeValera leading the anti-Treaty side. The threat of war was used as evidence that the treaty was signed under duress and did not stand. In the end, the final vote was 64 to 57 in favor of the treaty. DeValera resigned as president in protest, to be replaced by Arthur Griffith. Many anti-treaty TDs left the Dáil, refusing to swear the Oath of Allegiance that would be necessary to stay in the Dáil. It became clear that there were serious divisions in the community. These divisions run through your community.

You stand in Fionn's farmhouse, discussing plans with him. The debate has been long and hard on what your unit has done. The IRA is to be disbanded, to be replaced by the National Army of the Irish Free State. As soldiers in the IRA, you're all offered positions in the army. However, many anti-treaty IRA officers have refused this offer, staying in the "new" IRA that refuses to acknowledge the treaty or the Dáil, for betraying the Irish republic they swore loyalty to. The path forward is being debated.

"This is more than we could ever get," Fionn says. "If we oppose this, we'll be crushed. We don't have the arms or numbers to continue fighting."

"We didn't in the rising either!" Joseph says. "But we fought on, and good men gave their lives for the republic! Not this pathetic offering!"

"The Dáil we pledged ourselves to voted in favor of this," Fionn says. "We have a duty to serve."

"Damn right we do!" Sean says. "We swore a duty to the republic! We'll stand by it!"

"Michael Collins' defended his view at the Dáil," Liam says. "I was there. We're not abandoning the republic. He said this is only a stepping stone, but the path forward is through politics. We can't fight anymore but with our votes!"

"Our votes?!" Sean says. "Did that get us anywhere in the past?!"

"The new IRA has called for all true sons and daughters of the republic to serve them. I stand with them!" Joseph says.

"That's a massacre. We'll be massacred if we go to war. We couldn't fight on," Fionn defends.

"We could've fought on! We can fight on! I refuse to bow to the tyranny of the British crown, until the flag of the Republic of Ireland flies over the Dáil! Enough men died for us to fight on to see it happen!" Joseph shouts.

"Michael!" Fionn says, looking to you. "You've stayed silent. Care to make your opinions known!"

1. Support the treaty and serve as a soldier for the Irish Free State

2. Oppose the treaty and serve as a soldier in the IRA

(Everyone Ik I initially said I wasn't going to do the next part, but, I think this it would be better to continue, as this is a conglomeration of everything that lead to this moment, and a true test of you believe is right. For this portion I would appreciate if you debated this, since this is a HUGE turning point in the story. And I think a lot of thought should be put into this decision. Also it just makes for a better experience to have some healthy debate, something I think I have neglected. That is all!)

I will not vote right away, just give my opinion.

As a Canadian, from the province of Quebec to be precise, let me tell you something: this is not a bad offer, but not a good one either. By controlling our ports and our foreign policies, they are controlling our economy. And this makes us dependant. They will basically have control on prices and control what we produce, to a certain extent, for exportation. If we stay with them, hoping to cut the bridges with the political way, we will lose. A government needs to think about the survival of its nation and its population, and this means it has to think about finances. How can we be independent if we can’t make other trading partners? And guess who will obtain the white collar jobs in the trading business. And who will get stuck with the dirty work of production. No, seriously, this shit can and will happen. Look at the Canadian history, look at the Irish one.

On the other hand, it is possible to live as a dominion and to shape our country with our own way. Now, the Queen barely matters in Canadian politics, she only has a symbolic role (and even more in Quebec). However, we would have to deal with the British from the inside. Look at the Dáil. With the departure of most of the anti-treaty members, it is now controlled by the Unionnists and the moderate. Also, the members of the parlement have to swear allegiance to the crown, which means that those who believe in a free Ireland and have too much pride to swear will quit. And this, ladies and gentlemen, could be our downfall. What is the point of being independant if the governement follows the way of another country? Do you think its members will really act for Ireland? Or will it follow the interests of England?

I know that my arguments are mostly negative, but trust me. This kind of crap happened before. If we support the treaty, we will have another kind of fight to lead. In both cases, the stakes are not in our favour. And yes, we tried the revolution way too. The patriots, does that ring a bell? They got crushed, but the citizen opinion was not favourable. However, everyone is sick of the fights and the grief. Ireland is not united anymore; both sides have supporters.

In both cases, this is a gamble. In Quebec’s case, we lost. How do you intend to change the odds?

I will not vote right away, just give my opinion.

As a Canadian, from the province of Quebec to be precise, let me tell you something: this is not a bad offer, but not a good one either. By controlling our ports and our foreign policies, they are controlling our economy. And this makes us dependant. They will basically have control on prices and control what we produce, to a certain extent, for exportation. If we stay with them, hoping to cut the bridges with the political way, we will lose. A government needs to think about the survival of its nation and its population, and this means it has to think about finances. How can we be independent if we can’t make other trading partners? And guess who will obtain the white collar jobs in the trading business. And who will get stuck with the dirty work of production. No, seriously, this shit can and will happen. Look at the Canadian history, look at the Irish one.

On the other hand, it is possible to live as a dominion and to shape our country with our own way. Now, the Queen barely matters in Canadian politics, she only has a symbolic role (and even more in Quebec). However, we would have to deal with the British from the inside. Look at the Dáil. With the departure of most of the anti-treaty members, it is now controlled by the Unionnists and the moderate. Also, the members of the parlement have to swear allegiance to the crown, which means that those who believe in a free Ireland and have too much pride to swear will quit. And this, ladies and gentlemen, could be our downfall. What is the point of being independant if the governement follows the way of another country? Do you think its members will really act for Ireland? Or will it follow the interests of England?

I know that my arguments are mostly negative, but trust me. This kind of crap happened before. If we support the treaty, we will have another kind of fight to lead. In both cases, the stakes are not in our favour. And yes, we tried the revolution way too. The patriots, does that ring a bell? They got crushed, but the citizen opinion was not favourable. However, everyone is sick of the fights and the grief. Ireland is not united anymore; both sides have supporters.

In both cases, this is a gamble. In Quebec’s case, we lost. How do you intend to change the odds?

We can't change the damned odds, that's because the British have put us in a dilemma. They've set father against son, mother against daughter, every Irishman is at each other's throats because of this damned shame of a treaty. The British understand that this terrible war inspires a profound desire for peace, and they are using this desire against us to fight our own people. From the beginning, the British have shut us out of parliament, and shot us to ribbons when we raised our voices to protest. They'll use violence, they'll use peace, they'll use every trick in the book just so they can plant their big shining boots on the face of every Irishman. They will not stop. This treaty wasn't meant to end the conflict between Ireland and Britain, it's a declaration of a new war, one dirtier than the last. Where one Irishman kills his own brother for peace, and the other kills his own brother for freedom.

You don't have to kill them, not your fellow Irishmen, not your own people, not the people you fought for. The Irish can take on anyone, even the greatest empire in existence, provided that everyone fights together. But if we fight divided, there's no point to it anymore. I say we cut our losses and go home, we can go fight again when all this madness clears up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back