• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Sangfroid: Keepers of Light and Dark

RustyTI-85

Calculator
Ever since the human mind has been able to understand the truth of the world, we would come to learn more about the true nature of the soul, Light, and Darkness. Light represents order for Mankind, and creates the projection that allows their forms, the heavy shadow of life, to exist. Dark represents the primal and powerful nature of Mankind, and serves as something of an anchor for life's continued existence. However, not every form of life follows the same rules Mankind does. Most are known to be simple things, animals to be treasured or used. However, there are some, known as Ixii, that upset the fragile imbalance of Dark and Light with their very existence.

The Ixii are made of only darkness, without a mote of light to illuminate their souls. They in turn consume darkness, so the Light may cast a darker, and stronger shadow. This upsets the balance. It is known what this does within humans. If Light overflows, the body is lost in a blazing flash and a Saint is born, a creature of deadly purification and vengeance. If Dark overflows, the body is corrupted, eventually producing a Reaper. Very rarely, they even consume the heart of a world- a force of Light- and we have yet to see the effects of that. We can only imagine what would happen if a world would succumb to such an imbalance...

And yet, the stars in the sky, other worlds in the Kosmos- they are going out one by one. But, we are not defenseless. For generations there have been those that can control the natures of their souls, Keepers, they are called. They, with the power of their souls, can fight against the Ixii before other worlds, nay, all worlds, succumb to imbalance.

Only time will tell if we are doomed.

Greetings, I have come with the above, a short introduction to the universe of Sangfroid: Keepers of Dark and Light. In this RP players will be taking control of the titular Keepers, individuals that can manipulate their souls and the elements of dark and light within them to combat the foes of Mankind. The characters will visit numerous other worlds of somewhat original design as they fight the forces of the Ixii collective and struggle to balance out their own abilities; for every time they call upon their soul they get closer and closer to a state of imbalance. This is to create a dynamic that makes combat more than just fighting- it is fighting for the right and ability to survive in one's current state. As such, I would like players that have the skills to type up posts that can encapsulate the feelings that combat, possible inpending dread, and the struggle to keep one's soul in check. Four to six of these individuals will do, if people so choose to join.

More information will become available as questions are asked and people confirm that they will join. Thank you for your time, and a good day to you.

Two struggles: one against the Ixii, one within yourself. Count me in!

Though, would the balance, or lack thereof, of Light and Dark in one's soul directly impact their behavior?

Hi Rusty! I was just wondering about who the antagonists/antagonistic forces in this RP would be, if it's not a spoiler that is. Of course, I'm guessing we'd be fighting against the Ixii (although it seems like going too far to exterminate them would be equally bad), but how sentient are the Ixii exactly? Are they more like animals, simply moving and feeding on darkness; or are they smart enough to hunt, maybe even have an agenda beyond their need to eat?

Or is it that we'd more be fighting against humans or at least other people, either those already corrupted to a degree by the imbalance or trying to advance it for their own goals (whatever those might be, although it seems like even the most insane would baulk at becoming either a Saint or a Reaper, unless they could control those powers).

Two struggles: one against the Ixii, one within yourself. Count me in!

Though, would the balance, or lack thereof, of Light and Dark in one's soul directly impact their behavior?

That is a good question. IC, every character would have some sort of soul bias, meaning that they have slightly more of Light or Dark within their soul. That small imbalance is what creates a person's personality. If one has a more Light inclined soul, they are more "humane", having more of a stoic or serene air to them or otherwise being more calm than the average person. A more Dark heavy soul leads to brashness and more "primal" traits such as heavy ties to emotion and instinct. As the story would progress, souls could become more imbalanced, changing the personalities of the characters and their values.

Hi Rusty! I was just wondering about who the antagonists/antagonistic forces in this RP would be, if it's not a spoiler that is. Of course, I'm guessing we'd be fighting against the Ixii (although it seems like going too far to exterminate them would be equally bad), but how sentient are the Ixii exactly? Are they more like animals, simply moving and feeding on darkness; or are they smart enough to hunt, maybe even have an agenda beyond their need to eat?

Or is it that we'd more be fighting against humans or at least other people, either those already corrupted to a degree by the imbalance or trying to advance it for their own goals (whatever those might be, although it seems like even the most insane would baulk at becoming either a Saint or a Reaper, unless they could control those powers).

The Ixii are the main antagonistic force of the RP, and they come in varying levels of intelligence and sentience. Some are little more than literal shadows, taking the primal form of life, nibbling away at darkness. Others are vaguely human in intelligence and understanding, and can comprehend that Light has inherently more power to sup upon than the more present powers of nibbling at the Dark. To a fault, they are somewhat animalistic, as their feeding upon the Dark has stained them with its primal energies. There are some humans that do deal with them for either protection from their own imbalances or perhaps even a thirst for power. Keepers in particular are known to have some defectors among their ranks, choosing to join the Ixii out of wild curiosity of what would happen should imbalance come to the Kosmos. Saints too ally with the Ixii, as they have alien agendas revolving around the destruction of Darkness.

Interesting! I really love what you're thinking of with the soul mechanics, the idea of a character's personality changing in ways they can't themselves perceive over the course of a story has always been one that's interested me.

I have to ask, where do the Reapers fit-in? Are they the most bestial and thoughtless of any of the advanced entities, or are they actually the opposite? More like flawed, godlike figures that serve themselves, perhaps. Do they feel compulsions to destroy the Light as Saints do - that does seem suggested by their potential to consume the heart of a world, if they're powerful enough to stomach it - or is it a lot less relevant to them?

Reapers are the most bestial, but there are those that can fight back their urges and retain a sliver of light to retain sanity. Those Reapers are often the most dangerous, as they can control what courses through them, and formulate plans. The goal of the Reapers is as simple as a microbial organism: propagate, survive, reproduce. The intellignet ones may have agendas of their own, but often individuals just seek to spread their Deathmarch -a scent accompanied by an auditory cue that signals the approach of a Reaper- and create Husks -individuals that soon will become wrought with Dark and become Reapers. Eating the heart of a world is rare indeed, and perhaps they do have the stomach and will to actively seek the destruction of Light.

This reminds me of something but I can't seem to place my finger on it. Regardless, it looks rather intriguing! Hopefully, more people show an interest in this, at least if this is anything like how interest checks work on other websites.

In theory, we would only need one more person if everyone here was to make a character. Let us hope that another gives us their time and eye.

Alrighty. I think I have a little someone(s) in mind, but they might perhaps be served better as a plotline kind of character - one who doesn't travel with the main party at all times, I mean to say. How would you feel about that? It might let the soul imbalancing be a bit more present (even if in just one person) from an early stage, and noticeable to the main protags.

Also, can't lie, I can be either incredibly keyed-in or rather glacial with my contributions. This way, it'd keep me from leaving the other PCs with awkward moments when they're waiting on a response of mine, to them or to a situation.

That could work, especially as an antagonistic or simply enigmatic element. Once threads begin to be made and sheets made into skeletons, we can collaborate on what you want your character's goals and such to be.

If I decide to become impatient, I may make the OOC and info posts to-day. At most I'll give the process until the first though, but I hope we do not have to wait that long.

Yes we are, we haven't started either. The OOC and such just went up yesterday, so there is still plenty of time to join.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back