Sanctuary

Hey, you could always pick a new direction!

Cord is also from Unterland and he experiments on the deadmen, sooooo.

firing out some new ideas to see what is plausible and interesting 

Albion naval commander, struck by the curse but outright refusing to acknowledge it by virtue of sheer will. 

A subject of Gaule's arcane experiments, twisted in body and form but pure of heart(s) 

A rogue Jannisary with heart and mind set on the destruction of the caliphate (Deus Vult) 

Or continue on with the ragged Unterland noble idea tho I'm not feeling the same draw I did towards her at first >_< 

No shame in that!

I'm loving the Jannisary idea. Something enticing about the destruction of the dominant religion. :P

I'm probably making this seem more complicated than it is...

Well I followed so you couldn't have done too bad a job. :)

Ok, so dexterity is linked to stealth, which makes sense. Presumably the other attributes are similarly linked to the skills and since there are more skills than attributes I'm guessing there's no one to one relationship. Is this a standard system with a tutorial I can read?

As an aside, do I have to roll anything to cast spells like Whisper?

Edit

Ok, so I checked out the link and it fried my brain. I googled an alternative and ended up using the wizards of the coast one. I got a roll of 4, 5, 7, 1. Therefore if I understand correctly I succeeded but by the skin of my teeth. I'll write my next post on that basis and see where the winds take me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this a standard system with a tutorial I can read?

It's a slightly simplified and modified version of a system I wrote

I use this primer for conventions and I'll probably put it in a thread of it's own for everyone's convenience.

[SIZE=11pt]Rolls are made using a pool of twelve-sided dice {d12s} equal to the relevant [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Attribute[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt].[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]The [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]default Difficulty is 11[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt], which means any die rolling 11 or higher is a [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Success[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]. If a die rolls a 12, it [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]explodes[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] and can be rolled again.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]The default Difficulty is [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]reduced by 1 for each point that a character has in a relevant Skill[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt].[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]If the player can justify the inclusion of a second Attribute in the roll, half of that Attribute rounded down is added as bonus dice.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]In combat, players declare their actions from the [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Lowest Initiative [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]to the [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Highest[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt], which means characters with higher Initiative can interrupt slower characters. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Characters have a [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Combat Pool[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] of dice that can be used on combat actions. Special maneuvers such as spell-casting reduce this pool by [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]2.[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] Attacking or defending uses an amount chosen by the player, but if they have no dice left, they can do neither. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]A character can attack as many times as they have points in [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Dexterit[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]y. They can defend as long [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]as they have dice left.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]If a character has no dice to defend themselves, [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]a successful attack against them receives a free Success.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Difficulty is determined by the [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]difference between the attacker and defender’s Offence and Defence[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] - both start at [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]9.[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] If there’s a Difference of more than [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]2[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] between these values, the higher value character’s Difficulty decreases to [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]8, [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]and the lower increases to [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]9.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Damage is reduced by [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Soak[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]. It is equal to Weapon Damage + Strength + Successes over the enemy’s Successes to defend - Soak. One third, rounded up, of all Damage to Condition is also applied to Health.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]At [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]10 Condition[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] and/or[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] 5 Health[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] a character must roll [/SIZE][SIZE=11pt]Willpower[/SIZE][SIZE=11pt] not to collapse unconscious or badly wounded.[/SIZE]

But that doesn't much answer your question about Attribute/Skill relationships, so give me a little while to write something up for clarity's sake.

You do not have to roll for Whisper - I think your character is well accustomed to using it, so you can cast it freely most of the time to raise the Difficulty for characters trying to detect you by a value equal to your Occult. You may need to roll Willpower/Occult in certain circumstances to trigger it, but I'll let you know when those are. 

Your surmise is correct - Jacques definitely sneaks by, but it's a close thing.

I'm not going to change my roll, but I'll use this scenario to see if I understand the theory.

The default Difficulty is reduced by 1 for each point that a character has in a relevant Skill.

If the player can justify the inclusion of a second Attribute in the roll, half of that Attribute rounded down is added as bonus dice.

Is it the Player or GM who determines the relevant Skill? I know it wouldn't have made sense in this scenario, but could I have chosen to use Melee (if it were higher) and instead of sneaking past, attacked it?

With regards to secondary Attributes, let us say I argued for inclusion of Guile (3) and incorporated some kind of cunning distraction into the post, or Composure (2) and had him hold his nerve as he sneaks past, I could have then rolled 5d12? Presumably I can only make the case for including a second attribute, and not third, forth etc. Can arguments be made for the inclusion of secondary Skills to further reduce the difficulty?

In combat, players declare their actions from the Lowest Initiative to the Highest, which means characters with higher Initiative can interrupt slower characters.

Which attribute informs a character's initiative?

Characters have a Combat Pool of dice that can be used on combat actions. Special maneuvers such as spell-casting reduce this pool by 2.

Who or what determines the combat pool?

Attacking or defending uses an amount chosen by the player, but if they have no dice left, they can do neither.

A character can attack as many times as they have points in Dexterity. They can defend as long as they have dice left.

If a character has no dice to defend themselves, a successful attack against them receives a free Success.

Is this per round of combat? What if the pool is higher than their dexterity?

Difficulty is determined by the difference between the attacker and defender’s Offence and Defence - both start at 9. If there’s a Difference of more than 2 between these values, the higher value character’s Difficulty decreases to 8, and the lower increases to 9.

Damage is reduced by Soak. It is equal to Weapon Damage + Strength + Successes over the enemy’s Successes to defend - Soak. One third, rounded up, of all Damage to Condition is also applied to Health.

At 10 Condition and/or 5 Health a character must roll Willpower not to collapse unconscious or badly wounded.

Utterly lost now. I think I'll wait till someone gets into combat and I'll read that to gain a sense of context.

Is it the Player or GM who determines the relevant Skill? I know it wouldn't have made sense in this scenario, but could I have chosen to use Melee (if it were higher) and instead of sneaking past, attacked it?

If you chose to attack it, then you'd use Melee instead, sure. It's relevant to the action you choose to take, rather than me foisting an action on you.

With regards to secondary Attributes, let us say I argued for inclusion of Guile (3) and incorporated some kind of cunning distraction into the post, or Composure (2) and had him hold his nerve as he sneaks past, I could have then rolled 5d12? Presumably I can only make the case for including a second attribute, and not third, forth etc. Can arguments be made for the inclusion of secondary Skills to further reduce the difficulty?

The Attribute argument there is pretty fair and I would allow the bonus. But no more than that, as a necessary limiter.

At this time inclusion of additional Skills would screw the probability curves to the point rolling would be pointless.

Which attribute informs a character's initiative?

This is typically a combination of Composure, Fitness, and Athletics, but I am potentially going to simplify it for this specific RP. I will decide when combat comes up, probably. It is not relevant if you're attacking from stealth.

Who or what determines the combat pool?

This is typically a combination of Fitness, Athletics, and Dexterity. But I may simply use standard rolling for this RP depending on player comfort levels with the system.

Is this per round of combat? What if the pool is higher than their dexterity?

It is per round. You are guaranteed to have a higher pool than Dexterity - each individual attack or defensive action will use dice from the pool at your discretion. For example - having a pool of 8 dice and three Dexterity would permit you to make three attacks using two dice each, and reserve two dice to defend yourself.

Utterly lost now. I think I'll wait till someone gets into combat and I'll read that to gain a sense of context.

Honestly that's just for anyone curious about the under-the-hood interactions, so to speak. I'll usually handle that part for people and post the relevant numbers in a spoiler.

Honestly that's just for anyone curious about the under-the-hood interactions, so to speak. I'll usually handle that part for people and post the relevant numbers in a spoiler.

And I am, but one thing at a time methinks.

I KNOW YOU SAID NOT TO GET ATTACHED TO AN IMAGE, BUT MY HAND SLIPPED OKAY!?

... also, I dunno if the alerts are being stupid again, but should I change Mal's response to include peeps? Or leave as is?

Last edited by a moderator:
 I KNOW YOU SAID NOT TO GET ATTACHED TO AN IMAGE, BUT MY HAND SLIPPED OKAY!?

... also, I dunno if the alerts are being stupid again, but should I change Mal's response to include peeps? Or leave as is?

You can leave him as is, for now. I mean to update his thread but I wanted to check if I could slip anyone else in there meanwhile. I have not forgotten you.

Sorry. I've not been in great shape lately. I mean to update everyone soon. I know I keep saying that. I should take care of it tomorrow when I don't feel so exhauted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back