Experiences Same People, Different Tales

saniachan

Team of Conflict
Roleplay Type(s)
So I've been in this situation where for some reason I ended up RP-ing different stories with a same group of people. Different GMs yes, but still the same players. It sure makes me wonder: have anyone here ever done the same? Doesn't have to be a group of people though -- RP-ing different tales with the same person can do.

It has happened to me a few times, yes. Some partners of mine I tried several 1x1s before deciding it just wouldn't work out at all, or there was a big hiatus and they didn't feel like playing through the original RP anymore. In groups there are some players who often seem to go together and I joined some of those or they joined an RP I was on. And there were a few staples in D&D RPs as well.

It can get a little tiring to work with the same people on a lot of things, and frustrating if they aren't posting in your RP and yet you see them continue to join (or make) more and more, but overall if they are someone you can get along with it has its perks as well. It's not generally something I try to do on purpose, though it's also not something I usually am specifically trying to avoid.

I think that whether you're a 1x1 or group player, it's pretty standard to gravitate towards writers with whom you're on the same wavelength and then keep finding each other in/inviting each other to different projects.

I think that whether you're a 1x1 or group player, it's pretty standard to gravitate towards writers with whom you're on the same wavelength and then keep finding each other in/inviting each other to different projects.

I don't think it's that rare, but it's certainly a bit of a stretch to say it's standard no? I doubt the number of people who do it really even approaches half of roleplayers on the site.

It took me a long time but yes, I have a group that's my go-to for any project I run, and they'll offer me spots in anything they run.

I typically GM but still, we write together because we don't ghost. We're all down with long running projects that last years, which is the only way to make any real progress. We're all equally fed up with the usual start & stop, start & stop bs that defines roleplay.

I still look for new members ofc, and we have a few amazing ones in our current RP, but new people are such a coin flip. The last RP I ran with all new people, died within 20 posts. No thanks man 🤣 and that was before the plot really kicked off (was just a scene of character intros and conversation) and everyone just poofed from existence.

Idea Idea

Seconded, it's not the standard from what I've seen. Everyone in my group went through at least two years of aimless wandering, hopping from doomed project to doomed project, before finding consistency in our group. Myself included. I don't know how the hell I persisted for so long without a consistent group, never making any real plot or character progress... never again man.

I do have to say I often fall into RP's with at least one person I played with before.
Like the two current active RPs I'm in, both of them have at least two people I played with before.
For example Ayama is the GM of one of the current rps I'm in but i know him from a different rp [which sadly didn't start up.], then there is Aniihya which is the GM of another rp I'm in, and she has been a gm for a few other rps i was in before.

I often happen to stumble into rps with someone i know, but its probably because we like similar vibes in rps.

Hell i even sometimes when I'm too lazy i just go onto their feed and look which rps they joined or are interested in since sometimes I'm too tired to look around for a fitting rp.
so just going through their feed and asking myself questions. Do i like that idea? If yes then, is there still room? if yes then do i have the time and focus to commit to it? if yes then i join. simple as that.

So I've been in this situation where for some reason I ended up RP-ing different stories with a same group of people. Different GMs yes, but still the same players. It sure makes me wonder: have anyone here ever done the same? Doesn't have to be a group of people though -- RP-ing different tales with the same person can do.
That's just networking. You find a group of people with similar tastes, who are compatible with your writing style, and you have fun. Pretty normal experience.

Often I'll be more drawn to a roleplay a friend is doing over a stranger because of trust. I've already seen this person's writing and commitment levels and know that I get along well with them, so I'm far more likely to join, whereas it can be hard to tell how much chemistry you'll have with a stranger till you start to roleplay with them.

I did it with a group (when I was still doing groups long ago) - different fandom rps but same people in the group! It was nice because I already knew them and how they played.
I also did some 1x1 with the same person I did group rps with! Was actually how I got into 1x1 lol I loved it too much and now can't stop. I had a great rp partner back then. And that was a partner who I played with in several group rps before that!
And recently did several different 1x1s with the same rp partner! Just had different plots with similar characters lol It was fun.

It really helps when you know a person already. Both of you are less likely to ghost, and more likely to be open if losing interest in the rp. Which also leaves opportunities to start a new story with the same people!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back