• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Saga of the Nineteen Islands

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Keenan let himself be pushed and he laughed at her open threat.
"Consider me duly warned." He said, raising his hands in surrender.
When she asked about the rings Keenan turned to take up his. It had felt a little odd, wearing the ring, given the meaning of the symbol to him, so he had put it on a chain and most often it was tied to the leather strap of his shield, so he would be reminded of whom he protected every time he raised it. Now though, it was hanging about his neck.
"They're beautiful Kadri," he said in earnest. Keenan had been touched by the gesture, and hadn't expected it, especially from the single-minded heir to the throne of Volk. The fact that she had chosen loyalty had made him happier than he thought he could ever feel again after being accused of treason...He had only ever wanted to be loyal.
Keenan examined the rune-carved gem, turning it between his fingers and watching it catch the light.
"I don't think I've ever received something so precious...if I didn't thank you before...well, it means a lot to me."
Baconhands Baconhands

Kadri offered Keenan a smile. "I'm glad; good to know I've got at least a couple of things right so far."
Her eyes once again returned to the ocean. She felt like she was facing north, towards Volk, towards home. Hells they should all be at home right now, doing some form of mundane task that didn't involve the Aspects, a lich, or artefacts.
A sigh escaped her; no mist came out. They had entered the waters of Silverun. The waves began to reflect the stars; each crest seemed to be lined with silver. The seas were calmer, gentler, and the spray felt pleasant to the touch. Despite the spectacle, a grim look was on her face. A moment passed.
Kadri's eyes flicked to her fellow lineaged once more, a sinister grin coming to her lips and a playful glint began dancing in her eyes, "So then, mister former knight from a foreign land, have you given your heart's desire what her heart desires?"
She turned, leaning back against the railing so that she was looking across the deck at Graham and Isolde. "That is presuming you didn't get banished because you slept with the king's daughter and you've been playing one hell of a long game." She gave him a coy smile that was inquisitive, but passively so, indicating she would not press further if he did not want to speak more about the subject.
"Sorry if I'm prying, that's Sigrid rubbing off on me. She's... quite promiscuous. Happy to brag about it too. I remember when she got to Tallin everyone was fawning over her for attention. I'd be telling a lie if I wasn't also, initially." A pause took place before she returned somewhat to topic, "I don't really have a lot of experience in this field, but there's clearly a connection between you and Isolde. Sendrin has forged your fates together, I feel." She spoke with sincerity, though the coyness returned a second later. She moved just out of arm's reach before she spoke, "I can wake up Aistra if you'd like some privacy below deck."
SilverFlight SilverFlight

Keenan made a face at her self-depreciating comment. He was caught by the stars though. Looking up over the endless sea there was a vast expanse of glittering, jewel-bright points stretched lazily over a canvas of the deepest indigo. Keenan loved the stars. He knew several of the constellations too and ran them through his mind as he picked out their patterns. He was so caught up with the beauty above him he almost didn't hear Kadri's strangely-put question.
"Wha--I, no...what?" It took him a moment before realization replaced a dumbfounded frown and he looked away.
"I didn't have the courage at Seltasfair in the end, and with everything that has happened, Isolde is pulling further into herself, more than before."
There was a note of defeat in his voice, and worry too.
On her next jab Keenan shot her a look of wild affront. "I would never...the king doesn't even have a daughter!"
But Keenan then realized that Kadri probably knew both facts and her attempt to get a rise out of him had worked perfectly. Aspects, was he that easy to read?
Then the mood sobered again and Kadri revealed a little more about herself. Keenan felt like it was recompense.
"Oh," it was his turn for a coy smile. "So there is a heart in there after all." He pointed a finger at her chest.

"'Clearly'?" Keenan parroted, disbelief apparent in the way he said it. His eyes turned on Isolde when hers did. There was such a conflict within them it was hard not to notice.
"She tries to keep so much hidden. I can't get her to tell me what is wrong but I watch it eating at her...everyday." His voice was pained. He clearly cared.
"Perhaps I should just admit that this is one thing I cannot repair but...then...what use am I to her at all?" He looked away bitterly. "At this point my feelings would just be a burden to her."
Kadri's next barb and the mention of Aistra made him groan audibly.
"Is this the only topic of conversation that brings you any joy?" And then, because he was tired of feeling uncomfortable he played along and added: "Aistra would probably want to be included. Tell me about Sigrid. Who is she?" It was an open plea for a conversation change, but also, Keenan was genuinely curious.

Baconhands Baconhands (mentioned: Dominaiscna Dominaiscna )

A jovial laugh came from Kadri at Keenan's jab, but it quickly stopped as he expressed his concerns about Isolde. It would be a lie to say that Kadri wasn't also concerned about her fellow companion's state of mind. But a look over at Graham and Isolde somewhat reassured Kadri. She indicated to the pair, "Perhaps you should talk to Graham, if you aren't going to talk to Isolde directly."
Another laugh followed when Keenan speculated on Aistra's actions. It became a smile when he pressed her about Sigrid. Reminisce was in her voice as she spoke, "A close friend back in Volk. Travelled with me around the island and paid for my tournament entry fees. She moved there... five years ago now from one of the Commonwealth's colonies." She turned her eyes from Isolde to the knight, "Not even you would be able to hold to your ideals if you laid your eyes on her. Very intelligent woman, as well. Very good with money, read a lot. We used to discuss books as well before I left Volk. We were never a thing, before you ask. Not that I would have said no if she offered."
A long sigh escaped her and she sat down on the deck, her legs crossed, her back leaning against the side of the ship. "I didn't tell her I was leaving, or Hendrik, or my family. I have a suspicion that they were planning a party to celebrate my selection." She looked up at Keenan, the reminiscence having run its course. "Did you ever read the Saga of the Aspects? Olikah's tale is particularly... relevant to what's coming up."

Destrian could not seem to sleep. It wasn't from a lack of tiredness, that much was certain. His abdomen still ached slightly after one of the husks had gored it. He was still training intently on his shield, this time with somewhat more success. By all accounts, he should be dozing off right this instant.

Yet he couldn't. No matter how hard he tried to just close his eyes and let his tiredness overcome him, it was Impossible. His mind replayed the assault on the town over and over in his mind. There was a great many number of things to take in. For one, he had greatly underestimated the threat posed by the Lich. He believed they would easily be able to outrun her, albeit naively. Now he could truly appreciate just the sheer magnitude of the situation. The Husks did prove killable, thankfully, but they fought in great numbers and even greater ferocity.

Perhaps his failure to sleep could be amounted to the fact that they were about to reach Silverun. Another artifact, another challenge. He could fight many things, but poison, much like Frost, cannot really be fought. They'd have to go the diplomatic route again, probably. He'd be almost useless, and that worried him, truly. He had very little faith in Kadri's abilities as a negotiator....Actually, he had little faith in Kadri in general, but he resolved to never voice that thought. Her confidence had already taken a massive pummeling. He honestly wouldn't be surprised if she just totally gave up. He had been half expecting her to not return every time she would take the Pegasus and head off to Aspects-Know-where.

Perhaps it was the fact that he had cowered in the face of the Lich while back in town. Admittedly, the decision to flee with the others had saved his life, but... Wasn't the whole reason he had come along to die a meaningful death?
No, that wasn't right! He had come here to atone for his past sins! That was it, no?
Destrian grit his teeth, a loud groan escaping his lips. He was not even sure what he wanted out of anything anymore. He didn't want to die, that much was certain. But he couldn't quite figure out what in life was worth it. Clearly, all the good things were reserved for everyone else.

He looked at the Ring Kadri gave him. It was decorated with a large amethyst, the symbol for ambition emblazoned on it. He found Kadri's choice amusing. Once, he had indeed been full of ambition. Always expanding, Always training. Why, he and Varestad had even devised to gravely destabilize Volk and set up a proper network. But now? Now he just tagged along, not sure of what to do anymore. Hardly fitting, yet he appreciated the gesture all the same.

He sighed again and got up. There would be no use in sitting down here without getting any sleep. Perhaps, the clear sea breeze would help calm his mind. As he made his way to the deck, he overheard Graham and Isolde speaking about what had happened. He decided to go talk to them. Dealing with Isolde's problems would probably help take his mind off of his own. That is, of course, assuming she would not just invent an excuse and bolt the hell out of dodge.

He approached, responding to Graham's jab:"Don't challenge her, mate, unless you want to turn into a block of ice. And in case you're wondering: Yes, it does hurt quite a bit, though the pain ends relatively quickly." He offered him a weak smile, before turning to Isolde.:"I'm fully aware you might not think me capable of giving proper advice, but do humor me for a moment: You feeling guilt over this is what the Lich would want. Guilt weakens your resolve, and without tremendous resolve, none of us can emerge victorious from this fight. In truth, you having the ring ultimately had nothing to do with this massacre. The Lich is a monster: She kills because she can. This mindset might not seem possible to you, but I have seen it firsthand. She will do the exact same thing she did here to every town along the way as she chases us, bolstering her forces along the way. The only way to stop her is if we manage to collect all the artifacts.

Obviously, you already know all of this. There are no magical words I can say that will all of a sudden make you feel great again, and I shan't pretend that is the case for a second. I just want you to know we're all here for you. We're all here for each other. This-"
he said, pointing at the artifact on her finger,might seem like a massive responsibility, but to treat it as just that would be glossing over the potential it has. The potential to save hundreds of thousands by seeing this quest through. So long as we're in this together, we can pull through!"

He paused for a moment, locking eyes with her, trying to discern her mood. He couldn't help but be distracted by the unique color. They were truly beautiful, sad and somber, yet they carried an unexpected energy behind them. The Pale Blue made him think of the sky right before dawn: Depressing, yet hopeful. He found himself captivated, keeping eye contact for maybe a couple seconds longer than he had intention to, the ghost of a smile appearing on his lips. With a slight twitch, he managed to release himself from whatever spell had kept him in place. He felt very strange: happy and sad at the same time. He had never felt like that. It was truly bizarre.

Managing to subdue his sudden nervousness, he turned to Graham, addressing both of them this time:"Tell you what: When we next have some time to kill, I'd like us to spar with each other. maybe in teams, maybe with magic, I don't overly care. A small spar is a great way to relieve stress, and maybe we can finally get a feel for each other's abilities: See how we can best support each other in combat."

Baconhands Baconhands SilverFlight SilverFlight Dominaiscna Dominaiscna

"What would that rogue know?" Keenan replied a little more irritably than he meant to. "He's been mostly foul-tempered since he decided to follow us. The only time I saw him lift that cantankerous scowl of his was when you gave him the ring. You'd swear he'd never had a gift before."
As Kadri began to describe her friend Keenan raised an eyebrow. "My ideals? I'm not sure whether to be flattered or insulted."
Keenan slid down beside her, bracing his back against the rail of the ship.
"Why did you decide to go without them? Planning on getting some more expendable companions?"
It was meant to be teasing, though he feared it really wasn't so far from the truth.

When she mentioned Olikah Keenan's stomach turned. So far he had been absolutely abysmal at calling on his aspect power.
"I remember a little yes. Olikah wasn't happy with the poisons he was placed in charge of, and the creatures born of them, so he created healing to balance it...his creations weren't best pleased...is there anything else I should know?"

Baconhands Baconhands

Kadri let out a long, low breath; she decided to drop the Graham line of conversation because it was apparent Keenan wasn't exactly the biggest fan of the assassin. Jealousy was the reason that came to mind. The fact he seemed extremely averse to asking him for advice made Kadri concerned that this might lead to divisions in the future.
The lineaged could not avoid Keenan's line of questioning. She had looked at him as he sat next to her, but her eyes looked to the deck somewhat ashamed. "I don't want to lie to you Keenan. Not any more. Unfortunately that was my original line of thinking - that if I travelled with strangers, if they happened to die, it wouldn't hurt as much, that I could carry on the search. And I... I've realised how selfish that was of me to think. But... that's all changed."
She looked at him, nothing but sincerity to her expression, "I debated leaving, after Arbuzshaven. Try to see how far I could get without all of you being at risk." She looked back down at the deck, "But... I think... no matter if I did leave... you would go off trying to find the artefacts regardless if I was there or not. And you would have inevitably ended up at where we're going now: Marnus - the city Olikah trapped his creatures in."
The lineaged shivered at the thought of stepping into that city and a drop of fear dripped into her voice, "I've visited... only once and not for very long. I was there for the same purpose we're going now before you ask. It's a... vile place, full of disease, corruption, and undead. We'll... have to do something unsavoury if we want to avoid a premature death. I can... take on that responsibility if... you don't think the rest of the group can handle it."
Straightening her back, her voice dropped to barely above a whisper, "They love... symbols. And no symbol is greater, or more necessary in their eyes, than having an undead servant."
SilverFlight SilverFlight Dominaiscna Dominaiscna Athanas Athanas (We're going to the land of sunshine and rainbows everyone!)

Last edited:
Isolde was visibly surprised at Graham’s initial sharp response... though her expression changed to one of concern with one look the his sickly pallor of her skin.
As he continued to speak, she placed her arms on the rails with her gaze directed out into the darkness of the night, silently listening to his every word.
“You are very right... Graham, letting these thoughts consume me will do no one any good,” she said in a low voice, barely audible over the whistle of the wind. “But, as for what I can do now... I..” she trailed off, uncertainty evident in her voice. Her fingers brushed over Kadri’s gift around the ring finger of her right hand. Courage. She needed to have Courage.

At the sound of approaching footsteps, Isolde turned to look over her shoulder, eyes focusing in on the dark figure of Destrian.
Before she could open her mouth to greet him, he was responding to Graham’s earlier words, having assumably overheard their conversation. His initial comment about turning the assassin into a block of ice made her raise one eyebrow curiously. However, as he continued with his speaking, her expression evened out as each word slowly sunk in.
Some of the sorrow melted away and, in its place, a small flicker of anger ignited, burning darkly in the depths of her eyes before dissipating.

Destrian too, she felt, was right and raised many reasonable points about their situation. For a moment, Isolde felt envious of the seeming clarity of Graham and Destrian... so consumed was she by her emotions that she had failed to see anything beyond her own guilt and regret.
With that, she broke off eye contact with Destrian, returning to stare out into the dark glimmering of the sea - to look at anything but her two companions.

“You too... are right, Destrian,” she said softly after a moment of silence. There was a bried pause before she continued. “I... really do appreciate your words and advices, from the both of you.” Slowly, she turned back to the two of them, mustering a weak smile. “Though I still can not discard my guilt... what you have said has certainly helped. So thank you.” Her eyes flickered from one man to the other.

At Destrian’s suggestin of sparring, her smile widened ever so slightly. “...I think that would be nice. Though I can’t say I will be much of an opponent or teammate, I guess this will be good practice for me. Everyone has to start somewhere...” Her gaze shifted to Graham, and she added jokingly, “but only when we are on dry land. I doubt Graham is in any state to be sparring.”

@Siverflight Athanas Athanas Baconhands Baconhands

Aistra had slept fitfully the last few days, but this was not unusual for the noblewoman. Dreams of glory, succeeding in her task, acquiring the knowledge necessary to be so close to Sendrin were what normally came to her. But now her dreams were nightmares; fears of failure, dishonour, and that malevolent force that had struck the town all culminated in dreams of shadows, war, and flame.
She was aware that nobody else was in the bowls of the ship with her, and that gave her some time to reflect when, for the third time, she awoke in a cold sweat. She was breathing heavily, and it took her a few moments to steady her breaths. Staring up at the ceiling, the noblewoman let a couple of moments pass as she listened to the sea and the muffled voices above. Aistra once again tried to close her eyes, to sleep and dream something more pleasant. Only the nightmares returned.
Resigned to her fate of being awake for the time being, she resolved to fly for a little while to clear her head. She hadn't cast any spells since leaving the Kingdom, and she very much wanted to spread her wings and escape the ship, much as the queen of Volk had been doing.
As she made her way on to the deck, however, her plans soon changed. Practically everyone was in conversation; only the captain of the vessel, whom was steering the ship, was distanced from the groups. Having met Keenan and Kadri already, Aistra made her way to the group of two commoners and the queen's sister for the sake of introductions.
"My sincerest apologies that I have not properly introduced myself to you until now. The last few days have been a time for reflection for all of us, it would seem and I would like to offer my support to you in any way that I can." She bowed low, "My name is Aistra Rurikid, second of three heirs to the Rurikid estates, descendent of the most glorious Aspect of Fire, Sendrin." After straightening her back, the lineaged looked to the two men, "I have already met her majesty, albeit informally. Might I know your names?"
Athanas Athanas Dominaiscna Dominaiscna SilverFlight SilverFlight

Graham turned to Destrian as he spoke and his eyebrows vanished into the line of his hair. This man had the gall...It was only his surprise that kept him quiet while Destrian unloaded himself into the conversation. His mood was already volatile from the constant rocking of the ship and his own sickness for it, but this pushed it past bearing.
When he was done Graham nodded sagely and said in a mock-polite tone: "Ah..hmm, see, I spy the capt'n over there at the helm so...I don' think anyone's died and left you in charge...So don't for a minute think your sorry arse can tell me wha' te do. Or insert yourself inte other people's conversations, completely ruined the point I've been tryin' te make. Have you no sense of decency at all? Selta's tits...why don't ye jus' say you want to bed her and be done with it?"

When Destrian mentioned sparring Gray wanted to refuse just to spite him, but the girl seemed to warm to the concept.
"Well." Gaham said finally. "I suppose that's not the worst idea in the world. But I'll not have you turn it into a pissing contest. Are we clear?" Then, to Isolde: "With any luck you'll freeze him solid."
He eyed Isolde for her jab at his seasickness, his voice was gruff, but not unkind. "You jus' worry abou' your own abilities lass. I can look after me own."
It was then Aistra approached them. Graham hadn't been in much of a chatty mood while on the ship so she had gone almost completely unmarked until now. Still he couldn't help but keep true to his irritability at first: "This was supposed to be a private conversation." He said with a snappish resignation.
He drew in a breath as she began the formalities of an imperial court.
"Very well," he waved her off, "Your name'll do, we don't need your entire life story. I'm Graham."
Baconhands Baconhands Athanas Athanas Dominaiscna Dominaiscna

After the admission Keenan was smiling ruefully, as if he knew it already. "Lesson one of being a leader: good leaders will never be detached from their team. Leaving us would have been inordinately foolish, and you're probably right, most of us would have continued regardless...I would have."
He suppressed an involuntary shiver when she mentioned The Poisoned City. His eyes widened in disbelief and then disgust as she made clear what she intended to do.
"Is that the only way?" He was grimacing. "It's...unholy...maybe, because I'm a descendant...do you suppose I could get us in on...I don't know, relative's privilege?"
Baconhands Baconhands

Kadri simply shrugged, "You might get away with it; we'd have to travel as a group at all times."
The lineaged took pause, thinking back to her brief time in Mardus. A moment passed before she continued, "I cannot recall how Olikah's lineaged were treated by the locals. I suppose that if your bloodline does not get us anywhere then we will have to make a very quick beeline to one of their auctions for... fresh servants."
She looked at him. Her somber expression vanished, "But that's for the future, I suppose. I think that's a solid enough of a plan for now; I'll end up catching some sort of horrid plague if I continue to think about that place." Standing, she offered a hand to Keenan, a grin on her lips, "Come on, my most loyal of lords. Cowering there to hide from sea's winds is most unfitting of somebody in queen of Volk's court."
Her eyes returned to looking out at the sea, her grin broadening, "You see that in the distance?" The stars seemed to stop abruptly just before the horizon, and the sea was a jet black, reflective of the dark clouds gathering above it. "It's not heading our way, don't you worry." She said, glancing at Keenan briefly. "I think that's a couple of my relatives wishing us luck." The lineaged speculated. "Have you ever met a dragon before?"
SilverFlight SilverFlight Dominaiscna Dominaiscna Athanas Athanas

"I can't imagine splitting up in a place like that would be a good thing, not for any reason." Keenan replied.
Kadri's alternative was becoming more and more unsavoury. He made a face in disgust.
Kadri stood and offered him a hand, with her flowery wording he grinned. "Oh? Have I been promoted?" He teased, taking the hand and getting up too.
When he did finally turn to look out at dark sea his expression fell at the dark mass of cloud skulking on the horizon. He was just fighting a foreboding feeling when Kadri mentioned dragons.
A light kindled in his eyes and suddenly the expression on his face was one of boyish excitement. "Those are dragons?"
Keenan hadn't considered the creature they fought in the darkness of the caves a dragon. Not really. Dragon's were noble, sky-dwelling creatures, untainted. Since he was a boy, Keenan had always wanted to meet a dragon.
"I haven't." Was his reply, but there was an eagerness to his voice that was impossible to miss.
Baconhands Baconhands

A laugh escaped Kadri. "Promoted?" she mused for a second, "Maybe. I suppose this could be a trial period. I hear that monarch's need a loyal guard retinue, and said retinue should have somebody competent and noble to lead them."
The laugh continued; she didn't need to look at Keenan to know what his expression was. He sounded like an excited child and this made Kadri smile warmly.
"Are those dragons? Arbuzs' children are present in every storm, Keenan, at least every one that hits Volk." She glanced aside at him, "The storms herald their arrival and remain until the dragons leave."
Her eyes returned to watch the storm as lightning began dancing around its edges. "Normally you can tell if Volk's eldest are present by the sounds of the thunder, the colour of the lightning, and the ferocity of the storm. Ljos is the loudest; his lightning strikes blue and white, and his storms hit the hardest. Eitur is the quietest, but her storms can last days, and her lightning strikes those that she has perceived to have slighted her. Bryti is much more forgiving; she makes her presence known, but moves on quickly."
Kadri squinted, trying to catch the colour of the lightning, or listen for the bellows of the thunder, "I don't think that storm belongs to any of them; it is too far south."

As Graham responded to Destrian, Isolde visibly tensed at his obvious irritation with what the words and actions of the other man. She shifted nervously, though did her best to hide her uneasiness. The last thing she wanted was conflict to break out between them in such fragile circumstances.
At Gray’s gruff reply to her comment, she offered him a weak and slightly apologetic smile.

Soon, another person approached them. She was one of the newcomers who had joined their group around the same time as Graham and due to the circumstances of Seltasfair and the subsequent attack by the Lich, there was little time to get to know one another. Isolde herself had barely said a word to the other woman. To her, Aistra was an anonymity.

However, Gray reacted quite negatively to her arrival. Whether it was because of some opinion of her he had, or because of his discomfort with the current situation, she did not know.
“That is very kind of you, Miss Rurikid,” she replied politely to the woman, trying to lighten the mood. “My apologies for not introducing myself sooner too... my name is Isolde.”

With that, she left the floor for Destrian to respond.
Turning to Graham, she spoke in a low voice, asking “....that aside, how are you feeling, Graham? Any better? “

SilverFlight SilverFlight Baconhands Baconhands Athanas Athanas

The ship lurched as it transitioned from the sea to the land. It had followed a path a couple of miles from the coast, until they could continue no further without being questioned by Commonwealth war vessels. Kadri did not want the events of Arbuzshaven to play out again, and so Silverun and its glistening towers of commerce were overlooked by the party as the ship passed by, continuing east. This was a pattern that repeated with every settlement, large or small, on the coast or inland as the ship turned south.
The climate was pleasant and Mediterranean in nature. The weather was calm, the temperature warm but not hot and the few people they met along the way were helpful, albeit generally confused by the accents and sometimes the language. Kadri recalled her lessons: Mercantile was the language spoken in the trading nations of the Commonwealth, alongside Common. It was a fast language, peppered with inflections and words that tended to hold only two or three syllables. Business is fast, the language should be faster.
Mirroring the Silverun river, the ship found itself among emerald green hills and perfect valleys after half a day of travel. The water of every river, lake, and pond glistened with the sun, and was perfectly transparent and inviting. Kadri made a mental note to vacation here when this was all over.

Aezi had been guiding the vessel: when the Pegasus stopped, Elena was quick to respond, and anchored the vessel to the ground. They had stopped at the base of a hill. Nothing seemed particularly odd about it; it held the same shade as its brethren and was barely above the average peak height. As Kadri got off the ship, and her feet touched the ground, however, the hill appeared to shimmer.
As if stepping through the land itself, a robed figure stepped limply towards the ship. They were humanoid in shape, wearing black robes with a white trim and an embroidered white castle on its chest. The robes fell to the floor, barely dragging behind them. Their hands were interlinked under the robes and obscured from sight. Around their necks was a golden collar, with green runes and symbols carved into them that gave off an unearthly glow. The only part of their skin that wasn't covered was their face.
They had pitch black eyes, and hair that formed patches on the top of their head. They could have looked young, save for that. The figure had had tanned skin, but it was paling. Part of their left cheek had rotted away, or perhaps had been removed, but they were clearly unfazed by this. The newcomer smelt awful, and bugs were actively crawling in and out of their mouth.

As they approached Kadri straightened her posture, standing beside Aezi. The figure did not bow, but they spoke slowly in a, low rasping voice. They inhaled every few syllables as if every breath could be their last and swayed their head from shoulder to shoulder.
"Your majesty... you have returned... The city of Marnus... would like to honour your visit... with a gift. For the Grand Priest is aware... he was of great importance to you... He is waiting for you... in your quarters."
Kadri stiffened but didn't ask further, for she knew no answers would come of that.
"Emissary," she greeted them formally by the name they had greeted her so long ago, barely disguising her disgust, "what of my retinue?"
"Temporary symbols of status... will be provided... for each of them... until more permanent ones... are purchased."

At the sound of Graham's words, Destrian froze for a moment. He was hard-pressed to believe that Graham would actually be so idiotic so as to try to anger him. Then again, he was an asshole. He felt his blood rising. He had a deep-seated hatred for people of Graham's kind, who would just lash out at everyone they encountered. He took a step towards the assassin, murder in his eyes... But he stopped. He would not brutalize an ally in front of the others, even if that ally most definitely deserved it. The others were not as accustomed to violence as he was, and they would most likely end up afraid of him-well, more afraid than they already were, anyway.- He took a deep breath, and approached Grey, half nudging, half dragging him to the side, and spoke in a low voice.

"Listen here. I don't know what your issue with me is, and I'd be a liar if I said I care. However, what I will tell you is that shit will not fly for much longer. You quit while you're ahead, and I promise you, no hard feelings will be had. Otherwise, I will not be held accountable for what happens to you. We clear?"

He walked off without expecting an answer, still feeling rather frustrated at not having vented his anger at Gray in a more literal manner. He went below deck, and, once he made sure no one could hear him, began violently punching his own pillow. Not nearly as satisfying as doing it to Gray's face, but he'd have to make do for now.

The days passed without further incident, which was a relief. As they approached Marnus, Destrian could barely contain his impatience to finally set foot on dry land again. He leaped well before the ship had even stopped fully. No matter how much time he spent on it, there was no way he'd fully get used to it.
Of course, good things rarely last, and today was no exception. When he saw the rotting figure, it took him all of his willpower not to draw his axe and attack. It just looked... wrong. Is this what passed for "normal" around here?

Then again, what did he expect from a place where people actively butchered their own language for the sake of Business?
When the figure was done speaking, he approached Kadri, and whispered:"If there's an explanation for...whatever on the islands This is, I'd very much like to hear it."

Keenan listened to Kadri speak of the dragons with a boyish interest. He looked out at the storm with a new sort of wonder.
Baconhands Baconhands

Graham waited for it. He had baited Destrian. He knew it. It was as if he saw Destrian's disposition as a structure, riddled with weaknesses. He felt a need to pick them apart until the structure fell. It was about to now. Graham could read the flash of anger clear as day. He even braced himself for a blow. It wouldn't have been the first time. Instead the other man grabbed him and steered him out of ear-shot of the women.
What Destrian said surprised Graham greatly. He had taken the volatile Arcana caster as nothing but a simple bully with a foul temper and little enough confidence that he had something to prove. But Destrian had reigned in his temper, even though Graham had given him every reason to lose it.
Graham grinned and a breath escaped him as half a chuckle. "I may have been wrong abou' you." He said simply, and let Destrian walk, stepping back to Isolde and Aistra.
"I'm fine love, as I said. You don' need te worry abou' me...bu' I think I'm gonna stick around here fer a bi'. You know, make sure we don' lose the horizon."
Dominaiscna Dominaiscna Athanas Athanas

~*~*~

As they sailed on Graham gave each passing port a look of desperate longing, but even he had been shaken by the events before that he didn't complain about not stopping.
Instead his seasickness grew steadily better, and toward the end of their journey he had even agreed to spar with Keenan, whom, without the ability to exercise properly as he normally did was just as restless as Blue and the pair of them were getting on Gray's nerves.
"Jus' think of it like this knigh'," He said after the fourth time he'd laid Keenan flat on his back. "While I'm wailin' on you, I'm not thinkin' abou' chuckin' that mutt of yours over the side."
Keenan hauled himself up again. His armour had been stored in the hold for the better part of their trip so there was nothing but thin cloth to protect his shoulder from a new bruise.
"Glad you're feeling better." Keen replied in a voice that did not communicate the sentiment.

Keenan had not, in the end, mustered the courage to present Isolde with the gift at all. He'd hidden the pan flute one night in her things and escaped. No note, no explanation. He knew she would enjoy the instrument, but he had made up his mind that it shouldn't be attached to how he felt. That wasn't the sort of gift he wanted it to be.

When the ship finally docked Keenan marveled at the beauty of the landscape. Somehow he had imagined a bleak, green-less wasteland, but this reminded him so much of the downs near his home he felt a physical pain in his chest.
Their hosts did not match the scenery. They cultivated a deep foreboding in the pit of his stomach.
"Oi, I finally got used te the boat...but would someone please tell me why the land is tippin' all over the place now?!"
It was a classic symptom of being at sea. Keenan thought about explaining it to the suffering assassin...and then didn't.

He stepped up beside Kadri. "If you need an escort." He offered, he was back in full armour now, with shield on his back and sword at his side. He did not like the way this emissary spoke about the one that was waiting for his friend.

"I'll no' go waltzin' around this magic land with a corpse thank you very much." Graham interjected loudly. "You can tell your Grand Whats'it he can keep his dead bodies."

Last edited:
Magic had instinctively gathered at her finger tips when Destrian snapped at Graham. Fortunately, things did not escalate as the Lineaged of Awramaar reigned in his rage and settled with walking off. To this Isolde was grateful... tensions were high as is and the last thing they needed was an all out physical fight.
At Graham's words of reassurance, Isolde nodded, closing her hands into tight fists in an attempt to push away the cold chill of her ice magic.
"..Okay then, Graham. I think I will go below deck and try and get some sleep. Don't stay up for too long..." she excused herself softly, before turning and nodding her head at the lineaged of Sendrin respectfully, "ah.. um, have a good night."
With that, she turned from the two people, clutching one hand in the other as she made her way into the darkness of the hold. Before she disappeared below deck, Isolde thought she spied two figures by the railings on the other side of the ship. She thought it was perhaps Keenan and Kadri... though in the darkness, her eyes failed her and she left, not giving it too much thought.

Baconhands Baconhands SilverFlight SilverFlight Athanas Athanas

~~

With the change in the landscape, so did the overall atmosphere of the boat. Though her sleep was still haunted with images of Arbuzshaven and at times she found herself staring into the distance for an unknown amount of time, Isolde was gradually warming up again. Her overall mood improved immensely and she found herself livening up as the land turned to a luscious and vibrant green. The water's surface glimmered in the sun, casting dancing lights across the side of the boat. She took time to stand at the side of the boat, gazing out, eyes truly taking in the paradise before them.

Some time before they landed in Marnus, Isolde was tidying up her belongings when she discovered the pan flute. She immediately recognized the instrument as the one from the vendor's store. She sat for a while, trying to figure out how it could have gotten into her bag, but came to the conclusion that someone had, within the last day or so, left it in her possession. She wanted to think that it was a gift... yet at the same time, she couldn't be sure. There was nothing left behind to suggest the nature of the gift nor the identity of the giver. Though she liked the pan flute very much, the mysteriousness around the instrument left her worried. She could only imagine that someone on the ship, within their group, had given it to her.
One particular person came to mind, yet Isolde pushed the image away, not about to let her imagination get away with her.
And so, she resolved to keep it safely wrapped and stowed away in her bag until she could uncover this little mystery.

As to where she was going to start her search... Isolde had no idea.

~~

The group landed in Marnus and, once they had disembarked, they were greeted by a humanoid figure whom Kadri would later address as Emissary. Isolde stood a few steps behind her friend and, rather than disgust, her face reflected something like concern and uneasiness. She echoed the groups reactions, having a bad feeling about it all as her eyes studied the tense form of her friend.

At Graham's loud protests, Isolde dragged her eyes from the rotting figure to the assassin, and said "Graham" in a gentle but stern voice, low in warning. Though she said nothing else after that, she hoped he understood her intentions. After all, they were on someone else's land. It was unwise to disrespect and anger their hosts... especially since they were people whom Kadri knew or had some connection with. For her sake at least, it was perhaps best to play along... until the situation called for something else that is.

Her gaze flickered to Keenan as he offered to be an escort, before lowering to Kadri. As she was, Isolde could offer nothing to Kadri in their situation. Her control over her magic had indeed improved since they met. Yet she was still a ways away from being of any reliable help to her group and this reality bothered her more than she wanted to admit.

"Aye, I agree with Graham," Elena voiced from the ship, "I'm not taking part in one of your rituals or whatevers just to go into a place that I frankly don't need to go in to."
"Perhaps it is unnecessary for us all to go in," Aistra suggested, clearly uneasy. "I for one dislike this whole... well, somebody has to keep watch, just in case she comes near."
The noble had been far from quiet on the rest of the journey to Marnus. She appreciated the landscapes they came across and looked forward to being back in a proper city again. Hence, when the queen had announced they would be going to a city called Marnus within the city of Silverun, the young Rurikid's hopes had skyrocketed. But as the distances between the settlements, ever on the horizon, had gotten further and further apart, Aistra had begun slowly started becoming increasingly pessimistic. The rotting figure did not lift her mood, though she was curious about the collar around its neck. Perhaps this would be an opportunity to learn something.
"Though, I would not volunteer for such a task. There must be a library here, somewhere, and I imagine it will hold some valuable research for our quest."
-------------
Kadri didn't respond, at first she processed everything that everyone had said.
"I... I'm afraid we're not going to have much choice in the matter Graham," she said honestly, turning to face him. "They have a... unique culture within the City, and without... well without a symbol you would be considered fair game for the Merchants Malevolent... the creatures that sally out of Marnus to capture new victims for their undead slave markets." She lowered her voice, "I don't want to cause a scene, not yet anyway. Once we've located the artefact, we'll reconsider that, but I beg you not to make a fuss until then."
Her eyes drifted across all of her companions, "I understand all of you are going to see things you disagree with, but if we want to achieve what we're here for, then I beg you to... not forget, but stay your hand until we have accomplished our goal."
Aezi brayed nervously, and Kadri looked back to the emissary. They were joined by five other figures, making a total of six. All were husks, all in a state of decay.
The emissary turned disturbingly graciously, its involuntary movements limp yet somehow appearing somehow purposeful. They stepped back into the hillside. After a quick glance to her companions, all of whom had a husk keenly awaiting their instructions only a few feet from each of them, she followed the emissary into Marnus.
------------
The hillside was an illusion, a massive one, a spell that only Bakrit herself could cast and maintain. It hid a sprawling forest of corruption. There were few actual buildings; what was in their place were hundreds, if not thousands, of gigantic dying trees. Their trunks were covered in what appeared to be white, purple, or black veins that seemed to leech off of their hosts, pulsing every few minutes. The forest, paradoxically, warned and beckoned simultaneously; as the winds hurried through the leaves, they whispered sweet promises and bitter cautions to all passersby. Barely peaking above the treeline and scattered among the decaying branches were the few pieces of architecture: grand buildings made of marble, obsidian, and moss covered stone, seemingly untouched by the fungi that plagued the trees. Kadri recognised them all, and shuddered at the memories they invoked. The Library, the Theatre, the Market, the Casino, and the Temple.
A single path, unpaved and overgrown, led into this forest. The sun's light, while permeating the illusion, did not dare to tread the ground. Instead its rays were greedily taken by the trees as they clung to the last vestiges of life. The path, instead, was illuminated by green lanterns that dotted the ground, casting eerie silhouettes across the trees, the fungi, and the path. Occasionally, Kadri could see one of the lanterns in the distance get extinguished for a few minutes, and in its place would appear envious eyes that stared unblinking at the party until the lantern reappeared and the eyes would vanish.
The emissary's voice echoed backwards, sounding as if they were standing beside each of the party,
"Mind your step your majesty... and her retinue... While most of our inhabitants... are quite sentient, cultured, civilised... the lingering effects... of our city have led some... to degenerate into madness. The Grand Priest... would like to impress upon you... that while in the presence of... his servants, your safety will not be compromised... and they would request... that your entourage does not... attack any of the city's inhabitants... unless absolutely necessary."

"Don't you 'Graham' me lass." Gray pointed a finger at Isolde. "This whole place wreaks worse than a fish market in midsummer and it can have aaall it's fetid traditions to itself!"
At Aistra's suggestion that someone stay behind Graham wagged a finger. "No, I'll not leave the future of Volk to go traipsing off in this valley of death withou' me. I don't care how handy that knigh' is with a sword."
It was only when Kadri began to speak that Graham shut up for a moment. He listened to what she said with begrudging patience.
At the threat of the Merchants Malevolent he drew a dagger faster than she could blink. "Let 'em try. I migh' enjoy the challenge."
Kadri continued however and at her gentle imploring, his expression softened. Finally he drew a deep, frustrated breath and sheathed the blade.
"As my queen commands." He said in a quiet voice, and then he turned to the emissary.
"Fine! I'll have one of your godsforsaken cadavers. Bring it here."
The body that stepped to him was hooded, lean and it's skin blackened with rot. Graham grimaced. "You jus' ah...walk ten paces behind me, an' try no' te drop any bits."
He turned towards the emerald green hills. "You know, I really don't think this place suits what you all do here."
It was just then the picturesque scene melted away to reveal the rotting world underneath the glamour.
"Ah, there we go." He was clearly not surprised. Slowly he fell into step beside Kadri, keeping a blade handy on the inside of his Jacket at all times.

Keenan felt the bile rise in his throat as the six bodies shambled towards them. He recoiled, but it wasn't disgust etched on his face. It was rage. Someone had killed these people, turned them into these. Undead slaves, not even permitted the peace of death after their murder. Arzbushaven flashed into his memory. The pain and devastation he'd experience there had settled into a dull, horrifying normalcy here. Everything about this place was wrong.
"I won't be apart of this." He said firmly. "Merchants Malevolant be damned. Let them try and take me but I will not play their sick little game."
He took up his place in the group that was headed to Marnus, Blue followed, the hair on the ridge of her back was standing on end and there was a curl to her lip that was not normally there.
"This can't be part of what I am..." He whispered it to himself, feeling his skin crawl as the glamour dropped and he was exposed to the hideous reality of the place to which they had come. The place devoted to Olikah...a place that was tied to his blood.

Baconhands Baconhands Dominaiscna Dominaiscna Athanas Athanas

Kadri flashed a smile of appreciation towards Graham, but it soon enough became a cautionary glance when he referred to her as his queen. She was much more appreciative of Isolde's quick chide of the assassin, however, and a quickly mouthed Thank you was all the lineaged could manage before she had entered Marnus for the second time. Elena had volunteered to stay behind, though she quickly ordered her new companion to stay off of her ship until further notice, and thus the corpse had shuffled to the very bottom of the vehicle, barely an inch from it, and stared upwards intently, awaiting more instructions.
At Keenan's remark, Kadri took his hand in her's and squeezed it gently. Her tone was sincere when she spoke, "It's... not all Olikah is. This is the worst part of the Aspect of Poison. All concentrated in one place. In the stories, he's always disowned this place, as something that he lost control of." She paused, taking in the landscape, "The better part of Olikah exists elsewhere, in you and in the medicines he created to combat... things like this."
After a moment, she let go of the knight's hand, offered him a quick smile, and dropped back to speak to Isolde.

The party was well and truly on the move but at the emissary's insistence, they were restricted to moving at its pace. It stumbled effortlessly and gracefully over the mangled roots and spores that littered the path. The forest grew dark around them as they walked further in, visibility being reduced to only that of the ominous green lanterns, whose light dared not stray far from the path. Where Aezi stepped, however, the leeching flora retreated, albeit only temporarily, and the pegasus served to heighten Kadri's spirits due to this.
The lineaged's voice dropped to a whisper as she walked alongside Isolde. "How are you doing?" She asked. "I... I've realised I haven't spoke to you a lot recently. I suppose that means I'm not a great mentor am I?" She joked halfheartedly. "If you have any questions about the books I gave you, or if you'd like to borrow another one, please let me know. This place is horrific, but it does have a few areas where we can rest and recuperate." Her tone shifted dramatically as she continued, "I want to request something of you Isolde, while we're here. Simply because I know you will have some sort of influence on him. Can you... well... keep an eye on Keenan. And... well... please keep him calm? This place will try to get the better of him and... if it does, it will break him."
Dominaiscna Dominaiscna
------------------------------------
Aistra was utterly disturbed by this place. Her servant, for lack of a better term, was disturbingly young, maybe a year or two younger than herself when they were turned into this, and they did not yet have the rot of death about them. Much like Graham, she had ordered them to keep a distance, although she added the clause to keep notes on any wildlife that followed them.
The noble found herself side by side with Destrian. Despite the few interactions she had had with him, it had been easy to deduce that he was beholden entirely to his emotions, and extremely hot-headed. If anything, he was a curiosity, and despite the world around her, she found herself wanting to know more about him.
"All of this... if the Kingdom's army knew such a place existed, it would come and purify this place in a most holy inferno." She mused aloud.
Athanas Athanas

Surprisingly, Destrian was adapting to the bizarre surroundings much faster than anticipated. The Undead monstrosity that had been assigned to follow him, a tall, brutish figure, with it's head permanently tilting to the side, was not bothering him in the slightest, although he had ordered it to hang back, as he presumed the others would be more comfortable without it. The depressing landscape and the eyes peering through the woods did little to phase him, after the initial wary look he had given them. Still, this did not mean he was being entirely careless: His axe was drawn, and he was actually making a show of it by frequently throwing it in the air and catching it as it fell.

This place is cruel, barely livable. The inhabitants all either hate me, fear me, or refuse to acknowledge my presence. No matter where I look, everything looks gruesome. There's always threat that a merry band will come and kill in the most painful ways possible. If one can ignore the magicky bits, I'd say this all feels pretty familiar...
He chuckled at the thought. Somehow, being in this place was... Comforting. He understood how it worked and what it did. He had been living in comparable conditions most of his life.

Upon hearing Keenan mumbling in utter disbelief, Destrian could barely suppress a laugh:"I don't understand your dismay, Keenan. I see a bunch of stuck-up nobles, hiding their rotten selves behind a thin veneer of sophistication, while everyone else gets tortured, extorted, beaten and enslaved by their enforcers. Sure, the names are different, and the rot is a little more literal, but apart from that, this is all pretty standard procedure. Hey, you're from Arenthor, right? This should feel especially at home for you. He laughed at the last part, making it clear that this was partially a joke. Emphasis on partially.
One look at knight, however, was all it took to convince him that he had once again let his tongue run wild. He decided to try to offer some useful advice, too. The whole notion that his lineage came from a bunch of monsters must've been quite the weight on his chest."Don't entertain such foolish notions! What you are is not defined by the place you came from, but the place you found yourself in. Sure, this magic stems from a rotten, vile core. But that does not mean it cannot be used for something else! What, lf, let's say, your sword and shield were made by a blacksmith who was so depraved, so utterly evil even his name was enough to inspire terror. What, would you "cast them aside"? Would you not use them anyway?"

Destrian made a small pause, and for a few seconds, still fidgeting and trowing his axe:" "Evil" in this world is not nearly as straightforward as the fairytales would have you believe. A power is neither benevolent nor malevolent: You can use the "Oh so most-holy-oh-so-sacred-i-could-talk-about-it-all day-flame to burn Innocents to a crisp. And you can use Blood Magic granted to you by a Demonic-Fiend-whatever to end the tyranny of a mad king. It's how you use what you've got that makes you what you are. Evil and Good are arbitrary concepts that we have Stupidly tried to simplify for the sake of justifying our actions. The less these words are thrown around to describe anything, the better.

He approached Keenan and gave him a playful bump on the shoulder:"It took me years and many examples to understand this, so understandably it's going to be difficult for you to swallow it, too. Of course, that's not all there is to it, but... this is hardly the place for philosophical concepts. Just... Try not to beat yourself over what your hundred-times ancestor did. Beat yourself over what you did,instead!"

Destrian was still deep in thought when he realized Aistra was walking beside him. His Jovial mood dimmed visibly at that, but he refused to let it die down completely. Truth was, he had no idea how to feel bout Aistra. She didn't appear to recognize him-which was a plus. She didn't appear to want to torch them all for not being of Sendrin-also a plus. She didn't appear a stuck-up bitch, unlike most of her family-third plus.

But Memories don't just go away like that. Yes, it had all happened almost a decade ago. But... He probably would never be able to forget it. It was cruel, unfair, and was the thing that pushed him down the slippery slope that had been his life. But how could she have anything to do with this? She couldn't have been much older than he was! Could he truly hold someone accountable for the crimes of their family? Wasn't that what got him in his position in the first place?

Juggling Morality can be a tricky task, especially when the juggler has very strong urges to just throw everything to the wind and kill without thought-his way of coping, of feeling powerful. He finally decided that this would require more thought later. For now, Aistra would have the benefit of the doubt.

" I would suppose they would. Would probably would be the first thing the Kingdom burns that actually deserves being burnt in a "most holy Inferno". He chuckled at her, a way of showing that this was friendly mockery and not a serious accusation."No, for real: I'm fairly certain that, as a Rurikid all it would take you is one letter. think on it!"[/B]

Another short pause and a few axe throws later, he decided to try and initiate a more... normal kind of conversation:"I will admit this: You've stirred my curiosity quite a bit ever since you joined this merry band. How does a proud member of House Rurikid end up on such a quest-without at least half a dozen assassins disguised as handmaidens following her around, I mean."

Baconhands Baconhands SilverFlight SilverFlight Dominaiscna Dominaiscna

As the group followed the Emissary into the darkness of the forest, Isolde walked in silence, eyes studying their surroundings, her unease evident in her expression. Her servant followed a few steps behind as it was told by its master. She couldn't bare to look at the creature; its physical appearance resembled that of a corpse... and such a sight disturbed her greatly, bringing to surface memories from days before she had tried so hard to push down. Though she could not help wonder what happened to these... people for them to become as such, yet while curiosity ate away at the edges of her mind, fear over what she might find forced her thoughts from wondering too far.

Her gaze slide to Kadri as the Lineaged of Arbuzs slowed her pace to join her. At her whispered words, Isolde offered her a gentle albeit weak smile. "Not at all, Kadri. All of us have been quite... preoccupied as of recently. It's no fault of yours," she responded in a lowered voice that only Kadri could hear, yet her tone was light and warm, "besides... I myself have not approached you these past few days. For that, I'm sorry..."

"About the books... I have finished reading all of the ones you have given me, though I have not had many opportunities to put them into practice. I did not want to accidentally do something to Elena's ship,"
she added jokingly, eyes shifting away from Kadri for a second before flickering back to her, "if we do get a chance to rest and relax, it would be nice if I could practice a bit. Would you mind keeping an eye on me should such an opportunity arise?"

Isolde's smile faded at the change in Kadri's tone, taking it as a sign for a shift to a more serious topic. At her friend's next words, the lineaged of Selta's eyes shifted to Keenan, pale gaze trained on his back. She had noticed his unease from when they first entered the place... but hadn't made the connection to his heritage till now. Her brow furrowed slightly, expression betraying her concern. She could imagine what he was going through. For him, Marnus and its citizens represented the dark side - the monsters - of his Lineage. She imagined such a reality would affect him much like how her past haunted her, if not more.

Such a thought ignited fear deep within... the last thing Isolde wanted was for Keenan to grow through such a nightmare.

"... I understand," she said softly, eyes flickering back to Kadri, "do not worry, I will watch over him." She lapsed into silence for a moment, lips pressed into a thin line. "...that aside, how are you, Kadri?" Isolde spoke in a gentle voice, carefully picking her words. She wanted to ask about Marnus... and the unpleasant memories Kadri seemed to have attached to this place, though that was a conversation for another time and place, when they had more privacy. "Are you alright?"

Baconhands Baconhands SilverFlight SilverFlight Athanas Athanas

A wave of relief slowly made its way over Kadri. She was happy, at least, that Isolde had been reading the books and even let out a little bit of a chuckled when Isolde had mentioned that she hadn't wanted to practice in order to keep the ship from crashing. The lineaged of Selta indicated that she was willing to practice and wanted Kadri's oversight, something she was more than happy to give.
"Of course," Kadri said earnestly. Doubt lingered in the back of her mind that such an opportunity would arise, and if so that it would be a long one, but Kadri recalled that the Grand Priest had been amenable to royalty before and perhaps would allow them a day or two to settle in before the negotiating would begin. Such an idea made her shudder, not only due to her past experience but also out of worry that such an interaction would corrode Keenan in some way. The lineaged took solace in the fact that the young woman would watch over the knight, but still, the doubt lingered, and apparently it was on her expression, as Isolde proceeded to ask if she was alright.
"Honestly, no. Not at all. I never thought I would be back here again, never wanted to come back here again but several things forced my hand." She paused, before she decided to continue, her voice lowering even more than before, "I'll tell the others this as well but... well... the Artefact of Olikah, at least according to the stories, is supposed to contain cures for any affliction, and the recipes to cause them. Be it disease, poison, or... well." She indicated to her forearm, and the slowly darkening scales, "This. So, when the Guardians stated that Olikah had found a cure for this, I assumed that it must be in the Artefact. And given the stories about this place, and Aezi's guidance to here, I'm assuming that the Artefact is here, probably under the Grand Priest's protection."

Dominaiscna Dominaiscna

Aistra was taken aback by Destrian's comment. The first thing that deserved it? Rebels deserved it as a threat to the peace, the Commonwealth would surely deserve it when a conflict erupted between the two, she was sure. Of course he meant it in jest, Aistra was sure of it, however a lingering doubt buried its way into the back of her mind and would not be uprooted easily. His questioning continued and the noble looked at him, somewhat offended.
"You doubt I can look after myself? Or any Rurikid for that matter? We shall have to spar some time." There was a playful seriousness in her voice, "You've clearly heard of my family, you should know of its exploits. We haven't been at the top for so long by relying on bodyguards and 'disguised assassins'. We know how to look after ourselves."
Athanas Athanas

Kadri looked on down the path. They had passed several trails, branching off like veins into the forests, converging, no doubt, on the other buildings. Kadri knew where they were heading: the Temple. To her recollection, they had passed by the Library, the Casino, and the Theater. She recalled that the Market was opposite the Temple. They would be staying in the latter. The path passed through a clearing before it came to an end at its entrance.
It was a marvelously perplexing building, completely juxtaposed to its surroundings. A golden dome sat between two towers at its top, one made of marble, the other obsidian. The building was divided into halves: one made of marble, one of obsidian, and the two flowed into each other, fading into a malignant, mossy, grey stone in its center. There were no doors to speak of, and the light that poured from the entrance was tantalizingly inviting.
In the clearing, stood (if they could indeed stand), were several groups of the more civilized inhabitants of Marnus. Giant insects (more accurately insect like creatures), some winged others not, their exoskeletons scarred and corroded and marked with symbols Kadri could only assume were associated with Olikah shuffled in and out of the building, their mandibles and mouths disturbingly stained an odd crimson colour. Humanoid forms, draped in hooded robes, turned to face the party, and soon revealed they were not humans at all, and were much rather thousands of small creatures, clamoring over each other and somehow acting coherently as one when they stepped. There were some humanoid creatures, but they were odd combinations of human and beast, such as the Merchants, whom Kadri could recognize instantly.
There were three of them, just to the right of the clearing as the party entered. They had long serpentine forms, but these ended in clothed, human torsos that had human arms, human necks and human heads. They all wore porcelain masks, all grinning. As soon as the party stepped in to the clearing, the three of them turned to look at the newcomers almost simultaneously. A moment later and one had slithered its way forward, blindingly quick, and blocked the path to the Temple.
"My-my. Who owns this one then?" He indicated to the emissary, a malicious grin to his voice, as if waiting for the party to claim the one servant in sight. His accent was refined, and he spoke with upper-class mannerisms. "Don't be shy, speak up. I'm sure that at least one of you wants to remain free."
As the rest of the undead servants caught up, however, the merchant's voice fell. "My sincerest apologies. You should know to keep your servants close. One can only assume, therefore, that you must be new to here. I welcome you on behalf of the Merchants. I insist you come and visit the Market at some point. You'll find it most inviting."
SilverFlight SilverFlight Athanas Athanas Dominaiscna Dominaiscna

Last edited:
Keenan started visibly when Kadri took his hand. He looked down, and then back at her in bewilderment. It shook him out of his dour thoughts for a moment and he listened to her.
"Thank you Kadri, that...that helps."
Baconhands Baconhands

He walked on as she hung back, but Destrian soon caught him up. Keenan was, again, surprised that Destrian had so much to say, and he made no secret of his irritation when the other man began painting Keenan's life with his own stained perspective.
"You don't know anything about me Destrian. Or my home." Keenan told him firmly, and was about to walk away, but Destrian changed tactics. Keenan listened, and at the end of all of it he nodded.
"Well, thank you for your support Destrian. It means a lot. You were patronizing and sometimes just plain wrong, but I'm grateful you care."
Somewhere behind them Gray laughed.
"I think wha' Baron von Mouth-Runner is trying to say, is that you're not your blood Keenan. You ge' to decide wha' you do with your gifts. No one else gets to make tha' choice."
Keenan nodded, but said nothing more, turning to go.
Athanas Athanas

Keenan walked on, Blue trotting faithfully at his side. Something told Graham that this was going to be more than difficult for the knight, and he didn't know the man well enough to judge his resolution to their little treasure hunt, and if it could master his moral backbone.

Blue was normally delighted when they left the ship, bounding about and exploring every nook and cranny she could get her nose into. Here however even she was on edge. She stayed close to Keenan, not even daring to sniff what passed for grass by the edge of the road. Keenan kept his mouth shut and his thoughts to himself, following the others with a grim expression. He stopped only once to brush his hand against a knee-high plant, blackened and bent and beyond anything Keenan recognized. He left it with a frown, but didn't look back, so he didn't see the black fade and the green return to it's shriveled leaves.

The temple, in all it's splendor was somehow worse than the rotted scenery. An open and indifferent mockery of the pain that was being caused all around them. One of the giant insects bumped him as it passed and balked as it happened, nearly upsetting the cargo it carried. Keenan grabbed what served as it's lead rein and, not knowing what else to do, tried to sooth it as he would a horse. Then one of the merchants was upon them, snake-like features giving Keenan more than a shock. It took every ounce of will power he had not to draw his blade.
"Try and touch anyone here and I'll take your arm off." He threatened darkly.

Graham bit his lip, and as their 'servants' approached, he gave Kadri's a shove to move it a little closer to her and with the same motion elbowed Keenan roughtly. "Yes! We're all properly provisioned slave masters here! No concern needed, of course." Graham hoped the merchant wouldn't be counting.
The merchant extended his invitation to the market.
"I very much doubt that..." Keenan muttered under his breath.
"Ah! Thank you! Most generous an offer my good...er, sir. We'll take you up on tha' in due course, bu' a' the moment, I do believe we're expected in there."
He pointed toward the gold and obsidian temple. "We'll jus' be off then shall we?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back