• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Sabrefang, Mamapaw, Melshaef (Pathfinder 1.0)

Dannigan

Kaerri's Man. =)
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Mamapaw... kind of came into being all on her own. I had no plans to make a druidess or to introduce another Felane into Sharseya, yet somehow, I didn't like the idea of Powerpaw being the only one the Wayward Wanderers knew about. So, when the time was right, I introduced her into the game, not only to get a little deeper into Powerpaw's character, but to provide one heck of an adventure for all involved.

[In fact, Mamapaw very nearly bought it in her first scene (as Gerran's ogres were ordered to kill her). The Wayward Wanderers saved her, in part from some very timely action from Kaerri playing as Bren. The then-fighter/ranger made it to Mamapaw's side even before Powerpaw could. Very exciting stuff!

Later on, when things had calmed down again, Mamapaw explained that she had traveled across Sharseya in search of her son, Powerpaw. She left the jungle realm of Shamballah on the continent of Rhumia which is divided by an ocean roughly the size of the Atlantic. She left everything and everyone behind, her husband, her other kids, her life among the Felane, her jungle, everything she knew... all because Powerpaw had run away.

Since I am no artist, I can only use screenshots from Guild Wars 2's Charr as an example of Felane. Felane possess no horns like Charr (in one scene, Powerpaw and Mamapaw take their ornamental horns off as if to show they are not attached - that tickles me).
This is her in her magical Craven-skinned leather armor, courtesy of Bronze as played by Killfire
gw155.jpg

gw151.jpg

gw153.jpg
(All image credit: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/)

It's one thing to be an outcast. You expect no one to like you, to try to understand you, to want to be friends with you. Unless you have something they want, you're just another piece of life's scenery, seen one moment and forgotten the next. That was Powerpaw's life except that he desperately wanted to fit in with his fellow Felane. Except they wouldn't have him because of his (then) size and his speech impediment. No one outside his family took him or his passion to become a warrior. seriously.

Mamapaw nurtured Powerpaw with all of her spare time and energy. She tried to be the friend he needed. Oh, how then-bitty Powerpaw needed and appreciated it. But still, it wasn't enough. No matter what bravery Powerpaw displayed, his fellow warriors of Bastet would even consider allowing this runt of the litter into their circles, even though he had several worthy accomplishments at that time.

So, when Powerpaw ran away from Shamballah, it broke Mamapaw's heart. She worried and worried and worried. In fact, the very first memory I have of her was linked to this silly picture.

1538135.jpg
(Image credit:Know Your Meme )

The worried look on this cat's face. Silliness aside, that expression became Mamapaw's. Knowing one of her fur-babies was gone, she just could not find peace. It smacked her pride as a mother while scaring her half to death thinking he might die alone and unwanted somewhere beyond the jungles they called home. But most of all, she genuinely loved Powerpaw (still does). This little tale in the spoiler might have something to do with that.

My mother once told me of a story concerning the study of psychic phenomena. In the study, a very caring mother duck was intentionally separated from her ducklings. Those involved in the study took all of her ducklings to a remote area (I think it was a submarine?) whereupon they were killed.

Miles and miles away, where there was no way for the mother duck to know with her five senses, she felt it. The mother duck, according to the story, suddenly entered a deep, deep state of grief. She knew her children were dead the moment it had happened.

This is, in my head, the place Mamapaw just could not allow herself to be. She had to take action.

So Mamapaw did what Felane do - she prayed night and day to Bast for some direction. And Bastet, being the cool, caring goddess that she is, responded. Bast told Mamapaw which direction to go to follow her son and that it would be a long journey. That was all Mamapaw needed. She told her family what she was doing and proved just as resolved to find Powerpaw as he was to find himself. She still thanks Bastet for guiding her across Rhumia, across the ocean, across Averlund, whereupon Mamapaw realized she should devote herself to the good of the land.

And so Mamapaw became Melshaef of the Thousand Faces, a druidess devoted to the Finnish goddess Mielikki. In Felane culture, Bastet always comes first. All Felane worship her (as they should; she is literally their creator). However, Bastet is not a jealous goddess and allows the worship of one other god or goddess "below" her, should the Felane in question wish to do so. Mamapaw found Mielikki's ways and history to be very appealing to her, so much that she adventured as a druidess while always performing Bastet's will in Averlund.

In doing so, she did a lot of good for every place and people she visited. She did this often in secret, making cunning use of her druidic ability, Wild Shape. Eventually, she found herself in Shandra's Evergreen assisting the lost and near-hopeless refugees in the War for Highwind. They became her cause and her crusade. Now that the refugees are safe and in good hands, Mamapaw found herself free to join her fate to her son's and the Wayward Wanderers, wherever it may lead.

These two songs have also reminded me of Mamapaw. The first comes from the incredible movie, The Dark Crystal. The second, from the James Bond anthology.

"Love Theme" from The Dark Crystal 25th Anniversary Motion Picture Soundtrack

There is an innocence and passion to this piece that really pulls at me. Though its meant to be a romantic piece between the characters in the movie, this song always takes me back to when the Wanderers first came across Mamapaw, stuck in her cage, in rags, a prisoner of evil, lost and alone just how she prayed Powerpaw would not end up.

Then Gerran draws the curtain away and there she is for all to see. Especially Powerpaw. I can still "hear" his cries for his mother as the ogres are trying to beat her to death. It brings tears to my eyes (and I don't cry all that easily, but only when something truly touches me).

In that scene, Brendoran charged straight in, or rather through, the enemy line and got to Mamapaw's side even before Powerpaw did. He had gone crazy at the sight of his mother in her situation. This was Powerpaw's worst nightmare come true. One does not have to know what fear is to know loss. That Brendoran got there first meant something to Powerpaw, drove him to like and feel indebted to Brendoran for that act. One moment, Mamapaw had no one at her side while she lay in a pool of her own blood; the next, she had the Wayward Wanderers fighting and healing her with Brendoran at their head.

Thank God they rescued her - I don't know what would have happened to Powerpaw (or me) if they had failed.

"License to Kill" by Gladys Knight for the Licence to Kill Motion Picture Soundtrack

Then there is this piece! Oh snaaap! Watch out! Though it's meant to be another romantic piece, if you take the lyrics and tweak them a little, they work all too well for a mother chasing her lost son across the very world. When I hear Miss Gladys sing this, I can only think of Mamapaw crossing any boundary, facing any danger, fighting any foe - for the love of her "little" furry boy.

It's like... the way Miss Gladys sings this... she gives voice from the soul and feeling of the ultimate protector. Imagine you love somebody so much that you really would do the unthinkable, the un-considerable, without hesitation, repeatedly - just to see them safe. That's Mamapaw going after Powerpaw. She is a smiling, caring, nurturing, loving, peace-loving, cooking, purring, happy mama - until you mess with her kids...

...then you are deader than hell.
No saving throw for you.

Just check out these lyrics and you tell me.

Ooh
Oh oh
I feel, I need, I've got to hold on to your love, ooh

Hey baby, thought you were the one who tried to run away
Ooh, baby, wasn't I the one who made you want to stay?
Please don't bet that you'll ever escape me
Once I get my sights on you

Got a license to kill (to kill)
And you know I'm going straight for your heart
(Got a license to kill)
Anyone who tries to tear us apart
(Got a license to kill)
License to kill, ooh

Hey baby, think you need a friend to stand here by your side?
Yes, you do (your side)
Ooh, baby, now you can depend on me to make things right (things right)
Please don't bet that you'll ever escape me
Once I get my sights on you

(Got a license to kill)
(Got a license to kill)

(Got a license to kill)
(Got a license to kill)

Say that somebody tries to make a move on you
In the blink of an eye, I will be there too
And they better know why I'm gonna make them 'em pay
Till their dying day
Till their dying day
Till their dying day

And you know I'm going straight for your heart, baby
(Got a license to kill)
Got a license to kill
(Got a license to kill)

(Got a license to kill)
Got a license to kill
(Got a license to kill)
License to kill
Gotta hold onto your loving
License to kill, ooh
Songwriters: Leslie Bricusse / Walter Afanasieff / Jeffrey Cohen / Narada Walden / John Barry / Anthony Newley
Licence to Kill lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

In the end, I can't help but love the scene when Mamapaw and Powerpaw reunite. Man, it did my heart good to see (and write) that. Every time I read it, I feel a swarm of warm emotions. It feels great! I didn't know Mamapaw would eventually join the Wayward Wanderers (that's not why I made her), but this is my sandbox game after all and folks seemed warm to the idea, so why not? =)

So, what's next for the furry mama? Her original plan was to take Powerpaw back home with her if he was up to the idea (he isn't at the moment). She also feels she cannot wrest herself from his side given how much they have missed each other, so as long as her son doesn't mind her motherly ways infringing on his warrior-adventures (he doesn't, in fact, he is more loving and appreciative now than ever for her). Will they reunite with their family? Their people? Their jungle? I'd like to see that someday.

Time will tell... =)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back