• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Rubies of Eventide OOC Thread (D&D 5e)

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Other
Here

Thanny

The Destined Undestined
Here there be OOC chats. You are welcome to chat amongst each other here, strategise, create character scenarios, and a number of other possibilities that hopefully will provide joy and happiness within each and every one of your souls, and enrich your characters in a grand light.

Rules and Regulations:

- RPNation rules apply.
- Please be kind and wonderful to each other. Even though it might be silly to some, I enjoy a nice family-friendly environment even among strangers.

More rules and regulations may follow. I will update and inform in the chance there are modifications.

Feats and starting gear can all be chosen as per the books, and if you want to build your gear from scratch that is A-OK as long as you subtract from the starting gold . Starting gold otherwise is 1000 gp + two uncommon items, weapons, or armour (non-consumable) OR 1 rare item, weapon, or armour + 1 uncommon to rare potion. I'll have a ban list somewhere out of past experience and GM pricing of items to make your lives easier.
What counts as uncommon and rare? Are these listed in the Players Handbook somewhere?

I think point-buy the most fair but will go with this setup: roll four d6 dice and drop the lowest one, and you can have up to three attribute arrays and choose one of them. It could be the best or it could be the one that best befits the character, especially those with one or two stats less than a 10. Weaknesses are just as fun as strengths.
Array number 1 coming up.

16, 14, 12, 10, 16, 10

Array 2

13, 12, 11, 10, 10, 6

Probably a safe bet that I will not be picking this one.

What counts as uncommon and rare? Are these listed in the Players Handbook somewhere?

Uh, er, crud, this is rather difficult to explain without deferring to a system established in D&D Beyond. Essentially it is this:

1. normal weapons, cantrip scrolls, normal armour, and normal items (tools, utensils, common trap items like ball bearings and caltrops are considered common.
  2. +1 weapons, +1 armour, L1-3 spell scrolls, and low-grade magical items which serve one purpose are considered uncommon.
  3. +2 weapons, +2 armour, L4-6 spell scrolls, and magical effect weapons like Flame Tongue and Sun Blade and Wand of Lightning Bolt are considered rare.
  4. +3 weapons, +3 armour, L7 spell scrolls, and extremely multi-use items as well as very powerful weapons besides one-shot weapons are considered very rare.
  5. Vorpal swords, Nine Lives Stealers, specialty items of unique design, and L8-9 spell scrolls are considered legendary.

Let me know if this needs clarification.

Ah. So, if I were to try and get a +1 or +2 armor, how much is the added cost?

Or is it a Rare item in addition to the stuff we already have, with the 1,000 gold?

Typically it falls under the scaling of +500 gp (gold) for +1 armour, +2500 gp for +2 armour, and +5500 gp for +3 armour in my experience in D&D 5e. However, like you have pointed out, having a rare item would remove the need for an additional cost, as you have it already on your person! No need to worry about subtracting it from your gold count.

Edit: for example, you can have a Sun Blade, a Shield +1, and potion of healing, and have 1000 gp in your pocket. Any additional expenses for low-grade common items can be expensed from the 1000 gp, like buying 66 longswords or 100 daggers for some odd reason. Why would you buy 100 daggers or 66 longswords? The answer is the Catapult spell. =P

So can I choose the kind of armor I have for my rare item? Can it be the wondrous plate mail that my paladin is drooling over?

As a L5 adventurer, I daresay you can for either! Plate mail is wonderful for paladins, and the same can be said for anyone starting out, so no need for leather armour if you play your items right. Though a word of advice for you: beware of pools of water. My minotaur jumped right into a pool that turned out to be 50 feet deep with full plate mail. It took my sorcerer's last spell slot to Dimension Door him out of the water, much to my joy and chagrin.

Cool. I swear that I am not trying to be difficult; I just want to make sure my Armor Class is as high as I can get it! Keep me from needing those healing spells.

Not a problem! I just failed to realise that the Player's Handbook was so limited in terms of content regarding magical items. I am so glad that I have a physical copy of one nearby. AC 20 is terrifying, but don't fret. Magic will be slung your way. =P Also, it might help to refresh the page after I make commentary. I make edits a lot to prior posts and hopefully they are of benefit to you and everyone, though I apologise for having fingers that speak and send before I am ready to allow them.

lol Sorry again. I just get so quick to make my posts sometimes. So, I'll go with the +1 Greatsword and some +1 Plate Mail. That should help to keep me alive.

Are we going to go with max hit points on level one, then half +1 for the others?

Yes, let's do that method. For those who are new, for the first level you gain your hit die, according to the class plus your constitution (CON) modifier, whether it be a +2 or a -2. It always pays to have good constitution. For the next level, it is half of that amount (rounded up to the nearest whole number), plus your constitution (CON) modifier.

So if you have a barbarian (d12 hit die), you get 12 hit points + your constitution modifier, then (1 (lowest roll) + 12 (highest roll) / 2 = 7 hit points + your constitution modifier every level you choose in barbarian. If you choose to multiclass into a bard (d8 hit die), it is half your hit die (1 (lowest roll) + 8 (highest roll)) / 2 + your constitution modifier = 5 hit points + your constitution modifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back