• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Rubies of Eventide IC Thread (D&D 5e)

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Other
Here
Toryk kept his yap shut. He already knew most of what the collector was saying. Knew, in past tense. As he had forgotten most of it. But he had heard the pitch before already, at least. And the collector was already informed of what happened.

However, he did have a look of consternation on his face. The ruby was in the this town... but his prey was potentially on a boat leaving elsewhere. There went his hope of using this excursion as an excuse to chase after him. Yet, all hope wasn't lost... if the trade was done in this town. Its possible that the traitor could be here too.

"Aye. They be real alright." The gnoll confirmed. "I seen it with me own eyes. I held it meself in me own salty paws. I licked it with me own tongue, I did. It do be as real as anything."

"Collector sir, I do be gotting to ask. Espcially now that you be bringing up the matter of gold... I was coming to report the failure to you, I was. Though you already seem to be knowing it. The ship, sir, it went down. Me captain and crew with it. And the ruby taken. I've the details if you need 'em." He certainly seem very happy about talking about this, but he forged on. He was on the payroll, after all.

"I behaving a couple questions. " he said, his Captain would never forgive him for not bringing up gold."We was already paid, and failed at the retrieval. Here i do be standing not sure where I stand with ye, as the mostly faithful hound I'yam. Will I be seeing the yellow of the coin too?"

"Secondy. Do this hired help be who it sound like it do be? If it do be... if it do be them. I will take me down payment in their freshly skinned hide." He growled.

Brazamal looks over at the gnoll with a pensive expression. "My good Toryk, I must let you know that while I may be a warrior, I am not a murderer, so if you have any such thoughts of killing in cold blood, I will not raise my sword to aid you. But I do understand a blood debt, so I will also not act to stop you from this."

He then turns to the Collector. "Master Collector, you have promised a fine fee for us to retrieve this gem for you, and I for one must say that I am interested. I will give you my word that once I accept your money, I will either bring this stone to you or return the funds." He then looks at the rest of the bunch and asks, "So my new allies! Will you sign on with us for this adventure?"

Athaclenna smiles at Brazamal, and says, "Well spoken, Master Paladin, sir! I would be happy to be a part of this. I certainly can put that money to good use!"

As Phectty listened, he started to wonder, “Do I know anything about these Rubies?” Crossing his arms and putting on a thoughtful look on his face. As he looked through his memories, he himself could not think of anything but...maybe, just maybe... “I may not be able to be of much help with what the Rubies DO, but I think I might know someone who might know something...just maybe…” His speech started to trail off as he thought. “What I can say is that they live in Neverwinter and have a knack for magical items. If they know anything though is another matter. I can get in contact with them but it will probably take a few days to just get a letter there and another few to receive a reply. Do you want me to contact them? If you do then I’ll need a Lead-based Ink to do so. You can just take the cost of the ink from my initial pay as I do intend to help.”

Jalana had so far been content to let her newfound companions handle the negotiations here, while she focused her limited attention capacity on the tiny handful of things she judged to be important. Namely the size of the reward being offered (very appetizing), the job's compatibility with her ethics (sounded okay-ish), and the possibility of the ruby they were to find being cursed (not a good prospect).

When asked whether or not she would be participating in the job, she grinned and gave a shrug of her shoulders. "I don't see why not. I've little to do except sit on my backside right now, and if you two holy types don't have any objections about it, that's good enough for me."

Mentions:
Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood

Brazamal gives a slight chuckle. "Welcome to the fellowship, good Jalana. I look forward to getting to know all of you better as the time goes by, and I must say that I do not have any objections to you. Holy type, indeed. I say, that is a new one for me."

D. Rex D. Rex The Collector seemed very interested in what the gnoll had to say, his eyes glinting excitedly as they focused on him. Yes, this one seemed to know a lot about the Rubies and was able to hold one in his own hands before it was ripped from him. Truly he is one to be counted on, and whether or not he was paid originally he was a valuable and capable asset.

"You, my good man, are a survivor. It would be imprudent to not give you coinage when you have lost so much other than your life and, seemingly, the items on your person as well." He showcased with his hands the rapier at his hip, the glint of the imprint of a maker's signet in the metal hilt. Magical items did not grow on trees, and every magical maker of some renown had their insignia emblazoned on it somehow or another. "You still deserve your pay even if your crew asked for a half payment up-front. Such is the nature of our business. That half is lost to me, but this new contract supplants the original. You and your crew can discuss how to divvy money after you have given the prize to me."

He looked toward the gnoll, making a face like he had a bit of meat between his teeth.

"As for your second question, your gnoll friend wasn't the hired help I was referring to. She is an unknown to me where they are, as I cannot scry her . . . not easily, anyways. My past two times failed, but I still am at it. I will let you know if I get a ping. Returning to the original conversation, the hired help is a thug, fleet of foot and armed to the teeth and going by the name Jubilee. It would be wise to skirt him."

Sherwood Sherwood Psychie Psychie The Collector shifted his bushy gaze toward the dragonborn and the wood elf, smiling towards each of them and to others in the room as well as he trudged his way over to one of the towering posts of his massive bed.

"I appreciate this, Sir Paladin. A Bahamut worshipper, it seems. I think this will be a fortuitous business between us, one I hope will continue to the end.

Shadeofshade Shadeofshade "A friend in Neverwinter who might know something," The Collector mused ponderously, his eyes closed for a spell. "That might be very beneficial, and I would appreciate that, but we do not have much time. Would Sending do? I do have some lead ink. It's one of the better kinds, in my opinion, and is a nice-tasting snack every now and again. I think it is what gave me such a gloriously long life, my inherent longevity not included. Hee hee hee! I'll give you an inkpot, on the house. I am curious about your friend.

Sherwood Sherwood Psychie Psychie jaydude jaydude D. Rex D. Rex Felis Felis Shadeofshade Shadeofshade

"When you are ready, I will iterate once again 22 Summerbane Road is the address. I wish you luck, adventurers. Gorbo, can you assist these fellows to the door and therein the job as well? Perhaps this can pay off a bit of that debt we owe, eh?"

Gorbo flinched at this and nodded both gruffly and emphatically. He seemed desirous to get this done.

"Yes . . . that would be excellent. I am at your disposal, ladies and gentlemen, and will aid you in whatever duties might befit my service."

Here is the information for that spell I mentioned during my last post. I will post it on my last post as well.

Secret Chest​

4th level Conjuration

• Casting Time: 1 action
  • Range: Touch
  • Components: V S M (An exquisite chest, 3 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet, constructed from rare materials worth at least 5,000 gp, and a Tiny replica made from the same materials worth at least 50 gp)
  • Duration: Instantaneous
  • Classes: Wizard
  • You hide a chest, and all its contents, on the Ethereal Plane. You must touch the chest and the miniature replica that serves as a material component for the spell. The chest can contain up to 12 cubic feet of nonliving material (3 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet).
    While the chest remains on the Ethereal Plane, you can use an action and touch the replica to recall the chest. It appears in an unoccupied space on the ground within 5 feet of you. You can send the chest back to the Ethereal Plane by using an action and touching both the chest and the replica.
    After 60 days, there is a cumulative 5 percent chance per day that the spell’s effect ends. This effect ends if you cast this spell again, if the smaller replica chest is destroyed, or if you choose to end the spell as an action. If the spell ends and the larger chest is on the Ethereal Plane, it is irretrievably lost.

With the Lead-based ink in hand Phectty said, “Thank you so much.” Giving a quick bow as he did so. “With this, the spell for the letter can be cast. Do not fret though, as only my friend in Neverwinter will be able to read it so no prying eyes will know what it says.”

When it became time to go, Phectty said to Gorbo, “I’ll need to make two stops before we make it to 22 Summerbane Road. One to my carriage to write the letter and another to where I can hire a courier to deliver the letter. Would that be alright? Also, if you know any couriers that can be trusted then that would help.”

Athaclenna looks over at Toryk and says, "Well, as much as I have tried to get the criminal tendencies out of you, I think that your . . . expertise? Is that the right word? Is just what we will need to get a head start on this. I have a feeling that we will be depending on your skill set to get us into the place where the ruby is at."

If the Collector didn't know of a curse, that had to be good enough for Ivvie. Besides, by now she was far to curious about the Ruby not to try and find it, curses or not.

jaydude jaydude
She craned her neck to look up at Jalana and beamed. "Seems like we won't have to say goodbye for some time yet! But my offer still stands, if you ever feel like it." Though with this new job, Ivvie supposed Jalana wouldn't need any of her "good-luck spells" to cheer her up. Interesting work and interesting people! What else could you ask for?

The Collector, while discussions were being had, made a move towards a locked chest which had a number of intricate locks and even a password whispered too low for everyone to hear. Opening it up revealed to any that stood in the middle of the room a small surplus of money, mostly platinum coins which amounted to ten standard coins, in bags of a hundred. With strange strength that did not seem to befit his small form, the deep gnome tossed three bags at the adventurers with an afterwards wink to Phectty and Toryk.

"The three thousand I owe for starting pay," he chimed, laughing giddily and holding his stomach between his hands.

Gorbo looked from The Collector with a shake of his head over to Phectty with discernment in his dark eyes, wondering what would be obtained out of this letter to someone else in the magical items field of business. However, if The Collector seemed agreeable with it, which he definitely did, who was he as a footman wizard to argue otherwise. He nodded in acquiescence.

"Yes, that should be fine. I did not expect to obtain a fine lot of adventurers so quickly, and time is our ally for the moment. Make all of the preparations you need, purchases or what-have-you, and when we arrive we find an opportune time to enter."

===================

If you need to go to the market, find a courier, or something else, write what you want to do in spoilers or OOC chat. Each activity takes one hour. There are three hours total.

Shops:

+1 weaponry = 500 gp each regardless of starting cost of weapon, borderline infinite in stock

Potions of Healing = 50 gp each, may be reduced to 40 gp on successful CHA persuasion roll, 9 potions in stock

Potions of Poison = 15 gp each, 4 potions in stock

+1 armour = 500 gp + starting cost of armour, borderline infinite in stock

Information for Toryk = 50 gp through 125 gp. More pay is more info.

Ogre Gauntlets of Strength = 590 gold each, up to 1. Strength attribute up to 19 when attuned, one attunement slot.

Golden Horseshoe Necklace = 1000 gp, may be reduced to 700 gp depending on CHA persuasion roll. Unique. Unknown effect unless identified or attuned, one attunement slot.

===================

Part 1

A moment of time passes to allow everyone to do business, and eventually the party comes outside a ratty estate from at least the exterior. Windows without curtains reveal little or nothing without getting up close. The house is one storey high, and the roof drooping down 8 feet on one end. An opening can be seen from the attic space, where you occasionally hear a bat squeak. The front door does not have a doorman but does have a pair of knockers. A stable resides outside with nickering horses within, and a young human stablehand seems particularly tired of the mundaneness of his job but continues scooping fodder with a pitchfork. Outside the wooden-shingled house you see the numbers 22.

Upon waiting perhaps five minutes, you see an earth genasi in loose clothes stride out of the open door, accompanied by a surprisingly tall wood elf in gentleman's livery. They seem to engage in conversation, and walk off in the crowd, the wood elf shifty-eyed and scanning the crowd suspiciously.

Gorbo tapped Brazamal on the elbow and points toward the two.

"That was a stroke of luck," he muttered to the group. "That was the owner and Jubilee, as The Collector had mentioned. If we do make a strike, we should act now before they come back. The question is: how?"

Last edited:
"That was a stroke of luck," he muttered to the group. "That was the owner and Jubilee, as The Collector had mentioned. If we do make a strike, we should act now before they come back. The question is: how?"
Brazamal glances around at the others, and proffers up the comment, "Well, here we are. We have a limited window of time to make this attempt. Do any of you have experience in . . . acquiring items like this? Toryk, Athaclenna seems to think you have a bit of expertise that might come in handy, but what of the rest of you? This is hardly my forte."

During this downtime, Toryk would do three things.

Thanny Thanny
Will drop 500gp for a +1 saber.

And will go to the docks to drop the full 125gp to get information.

The last hour. If possible, I would like to case the joint. To look around the immediate area and examine the building itself. Relying on my roughish instincts to see if there was anything I could take advantage of or see how active the building was and any promising entrances. As well keeping an eye out for any clues (thieves cant) other ne'er do wells may have left for their brethren. He had to make the effort here, he couldn't let Athaclenna down now when she had so much faith him on this job.

Having spent his money, he waited for the others to meet back up with the party.

"That I do, that I do. Unsuspecting port towns are just as lucrative as ships in the sea. Would not be the first home I gave a good burgling."

The gnoll stroked his chin and thought for a few moments. "We do no be wanting to go all in at once. No offense, scalie monk, but we would need to be leaving the less quiet behind. For a different task."

"Best we split up into groups. Pairs would work nicely here. We can search quickly and widely. And if one of us get spotted. We can draw their attention while they other seekers keep seeking."

Toryk pointed at Ivvie ( Felis Felis ) "The feathered girl be looking a right nimble one. She be with me. I may not look it, but I can scale this building. Me and here will take to the roof, as we be likely the two easiest to get up there. Upper floors tend to be the least secured. We will work our way down."

He then pointed to Athaclenna and Pheccty ( Psychie Psychie Shadeofshade Shadeofshade ) "Both of ye, the bottom. See if there be a cellar, if not, work your way up."

Finally he pointed at Brazamal and Jalana ( Sherwood Sherwood jaydude jaydude ) "I think it best that you take the front. Even if the occupants seem gone, it may not be the case. Could be guards or servants inside. Knock on the door loudly to see if anybody comes, get their attention. If they come, keep their attention. Make a scene if ye must. Will make it easier on us to look without being bothered. Now if it do be looking like the house is empty, follow the Athaclenna and Phheeeckty in."

He shot a thumb over at Gorbo. "And Gerbo here will keep watch for them to return. He will give us a signal then stall em if we still do be inside."

"I be no trusting a place like this. If these thingies do be that valuable, I would be wagering me bottom fangs that there do be traps and alarms. Best to treat the house itself like a bear ye be trying not to wake. Look twice before picking up or opening anything. I no be knowing how clever this man do be, but let us assume he be gotting his ducks in a row."

Once Phectty left and got to his carriage, he got to work. Placing the bottle of ink on one of the chests in the carriage and opening the first Bag Of Holding. Pulling out a set of keys, he opened another chest and proceeded to pull out an ink pen, a sheet of paper, sealing wax and a tinderbox. He then proceeds to write his letter with the ink pen, lead-based ink and a spell “Illusory Script”.

dahf sjdfkndiy,

dh eal nsyr h ajhho. p askjh skdj nibabl dk hchb aflbhc badhfb clsdkh gli ewub, ksh dbfla sbcba lhbv sc lbd hb c slhb fuyeb cld yucb xnoi scjdsb ckdbils nfud bvs kjv dzvp aiy fbcp. abhsl balsb gsdnc ok dnv ory vbsjb cldn clja bxlhb ckz bckdbv kizzi elgki ebf jnbj ac.

lsjfbr yskdbfi dms b fspznx abcak bxcjs kdck bd kfbs lh, djyrg, aldhfb vyd keb fjxosn bfhgi sdps lxns banz maof jhfh du de ognchx. alsh dbrf gvyfjtp osp qnank zlfnb fhsj shf kvb, cnck gfhs cnc jdk, sldcj fiuek sn ck. skjdfn cxihn as ci jna, ghc kfn jm xo sjj. djndc cnal mxamx invuyt bvrund womx papl zqplao ncur bvtb vwj mx osnc u biwnsx okq mcije nvu ebcuz pql. jdfi, sdjnc sncosjxno jzxno ca idhsn cosm zm lp ofj o jofytu fq t szhb ajsd jdl ifhuv sd cihbu spxh dvc ki ixhg fn osh abd cu iad bjxk. dknvid fsbfiv butuvytl cpofikclcmb fuhbjz nan zqdjcu ubfiv euyf bubs cusd bu shb dcj hsn, bdxak sjcb hfiu ahc bsh, lajadn ichbs uya tvt sz uo. ndcoef jimc dwl, xpwdk ncidmq plsxo wdmci uemxl, spl, dic neijx, qp. zpows kxmeuf hbcf uemx psl, vijhfbc ij, woxz mwqi hcbf io ev medp x, qs. zwodk cni ew un xm wp. Xpo fn vid jnxoq pso jewh cduq bwo piqk mciou hfbi.

asnxon aokmd onefi uvbe ijcmdw, clw. xiweun cieom x, plw, coe fnvu hefbc ugwb sxokm evi urmc, woi dcnu ehnc l. xoi ej dnb uef nxl.

sdkjcb oawn,
dsjba

After the letter and spell was done, Phectty used the tinderbox and sealing wax to seal the letter. After that, he opened his second Bag Of Holding and a chest. He then proceeds to transfer stuff into the Bag Of Holding. With that done he closed up the bag, picked it and his lute up, went to pay the courier to get the letter delivered ASAP.

With everyone at the meating place, Phectty watched as the pair left. Knowing that things could go badly if this went up in smoke so he let Toryk take charge. “I have no problem with that, but just give me a sec.” He said. He then took his clock and wrapped it around his head so that his face was covered and only his eyes were vizabble. “I’m a merchant by trade so I need to keep as many bad rumors away to keep the business flowing in.” He explained.

Items placed into the Bag Of Holding:
Potion Of Superior Healing
Potion Of Healing X3
Thieves’ Tools
Lute

Previously...
Brazamal gives a slight chuckle. "Welcome to the fellowship, good Jalana. I look forward to getting to know all of you better as the time goes by, and I must say that I do not have any objections to you. Holy type, indeed. I say, that is a new one for me."
Jalana shrugged. "I'm not going to try and recall the few gods I know of, but I've been around long enough to tell a holy symbol." she replied.

She craned her neck to look up at Jalana and beamed. "Seems like we won't have to say goodbye for some time yet! But my offer still stands, if you ever feel like it." Though with this new job, Ivvie supposed Jalana wouldn't need any of her "good-luck spells" to cheer her up. Interesting work and interesting people! What else could you ask for?
"I'll keep the offer in mind." replied the woman, giving the owlfolk a little smile.

The Present Moment...

Jalana still wasn't entirely sure about this whole thing. Her understanding of the situation was that Oleg had come to possess the last of the rubies in suspicious circumstances, so she could somewhat understand the group's willingness to break into his house and steal it. Still, the fact that they were committing a crime could come back to bite them somehow. That said, she didn't feel like trying to complain at the moment, and she wouldn't count on herself to come up with an alternative plan.

Finally he pointed at Brazamal and Jalana ( Sherwood Sherwood jaydude jaydude ) "I think it best that you take the front. Even if the occupants seem gone, it may not be the case. Could be guards or servants inside. Knock on the door loudly to see if anybody comes, get their attention. If they come, keep their attention. Make a scene if ye must. Will make it easier on us to look without being bothered. Now if it do be looking like the house is empty, follow the Athaclenna and Phheeeckty in."
Jalana looked doubtful. The rest of Toryk's plan seemed to make sense, and he certainly seemed to be savvy when it came to matters like this, but as for the role of her and the Dragonborn...

"I can serve as muscle. And I reckon Brazamal can do the same." she said, looking at the Dragonborn's armour and weapons. "He might have to handle any talking though; I was never really hired for any silver tongue...ness."

By all the gods, her head twinged a bit after coming up with that word.

Mentions: D. Rex D. Rex Felis Felis Sherwood Sherwood

D. Rex D. Rex

Toryk's purchase of a weapon goes well, the gnoll's roguish daring-do ransoming a smile from the seller. Likewise, your dropping a large amount of gold in the hands of the informant with no haggling has left you in good terms with him. You would always be welcome here if you have the coin, and he points you out to a way to contact him scrawled in small etches on the wall if he is not there.

The information purchased is as follows: The Indomitable stopped by here, carrying with it only a small bit of something. Three people left the docks together and one left to purchase several wagonloads of seafaring food. What is weird is that one of them, a female gnoll as feisty as a Telthor badger, did not come back, though the group did not seem to mind as they came back with an exorbitant amount of weight on their backs. The clinks of coins attracted the informant's attention, but the two that returned of the group were heavily armed and had a mien of veteran surliness, causing no trouble to erupt from an attempt to claim the prize, at least in the Docks District. They were discussing a name of Garny Toothlicker, which Toryk would recognise as his fellow gnoll and rival, and how she really needed to drop or at least relieve some of her anger.

For casing the joint, you have revealed that there are three entrances in the front, the top (bat-filled attic), and the back facing the wall of a larger building. One can scale the roof from the taller building or by leaping eight feet to grab onto the rooftop. The back windows are murky on the outside, requiring a keen Perception to penetrate, but the reverse is also true for others inside even if they decide to look at a window. No cellar or crawlspace caught your eye, but there may be something in the alleyway between the backs of the buildings.

Shadeofshade Shadeofshade

Your sending off of the letter goes without a hitch. The druid-seeming man inserts the sealed letter into a seemingly waterproof cartridge on a messenger hawk's leg, whispers something to the hawk, speaks aloud a message of where to find this man in Neverwinter, and provides it a strong spell to those who know of the arcane. With Animal Messenger provided to the bird, the halfling courier smiles up at you, claims his payment, and walks away with a flourish of his wide-brimmed woven hat, a flying squirrel leaping onto his shoulder from a nearby tree.

1628076003047.png
Top is where the other building is. Bottom is the front of the house. Buildings are on the left and right of the house as well, but spaced farther apart.

Back in the present, Gorbo looked over to his gnoll compatriot and replied in a hurt tone, "It's Gorbo. Nevertheless, this is a good plan provided by you all, I think. I have only seen a few people come in and out of the house, including what seemed like armed individuals of various natures and races when I did my own surveillance. They may have been invited guests, but I have my doubts. Be prepared for anything. We may need muscle. I'll be here, able to give you a signal if I see Oleg and Jubilee come back, or anything else out of the norm. Take my familiar with you. It will be able to service you."

With a few mumbled words, he summoned a small quasit-like spirit with grey skin that looked out with beady eyes towards the others, sticking out its tongue at the nearby individuals.

"Now now, Tuum, this is not the time for fun and games. Go in one of their packs or flutter out of sight. I will need you later." Gorbo turned toward the others. "Shall we start?"

Last edited:
Ivvie nodded through Toryk's explanation, and soon found herself beaming at the compliment. Nimble indeed! She didn't know many people who handled three pairs of limbs as adeptly as her!

"Yes, no complaints from me, either," she chimed in agreement. "I'm ready whenever you are!"

Ivvie figured she'd mostly follow Toryk's lead once they started, but there was one other thing she'd do once they'd approach the house: This Oleg was a wizard, wasn't he? If he liked magic even half as much as Ivvie (and if he didn't, he wouldn't have studied it in the first place), she figured he'd want some around, on or in his house.

Well, Ivvie would soon see if that was true! There wasn't really the time to wait for her eyes to become sensitive to magic on their own, but fortunately, she didn't have to. She could use her power to make them, and that was precisely what Ivvie was going do.

(Using a LV1 spell slot to cast Detect Magic once we all get going - 3/4 LV1 slots remaining)

1st-level divination (ritual) | Casting time: 1 action | Range: Self | Components: V, S | Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes
For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any.
The spell can penetrate most barriers, but is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.

Brazamal offers up a chuckle. "Well, if you want loud and distracting, I can fill that role quite well. It is an unfortunate thing that many see one of the Dragonborn and assume that we are of slow wit, and that is a stereotype that I have used to my advantage on more than one occasion. I am just afraid that if I do make a lot of noise at the front door that it might alert the residents of the manor house that there is trouble afoot, and be on alert for the rest of you."

Athaclenna looks at the large house for a moment, then says, "Well, whatever it is that we are going to do, lets do it soon. Just do your best to not need my services as healer on this!"

Previously...

Jalana shrugged. "I'm not going to try and recall the few gods I know of, but I've been around long enough to tell a holy symbol." she replied.

"I'll keep the offer in mind." replied the woman, giving the owlfolk a little smile.

The Present Moment...

Jalana still wasn't entirely sure about this whole thing. Her understanding of the situation was that Oleg had come to possess the last of the rubies in suspicious circumstances, so she could somewhat understand the group's willingness to break into his house and steal it. Still, the fact that they were committing a crime could come back to bite them somehow. That said, she didn't feel like trying to complain at the moment, and she wouldn't count on herself to come up with an alternative plan.

Jalana looked doubtful. The rest of Toryk's plan seemed to make sense, and he certainly seemed to be savvy when it came to matters like this, but as for the role of her and the Dragonborn...

"I can serve as muscle. And I reckon Brazamal can do the same." she said, looking at the Dragonborn's armour and weapons. "He might have to handle any talking though; I was never really hired for any silver tongue...ness."

By all the gods, her head twinged a bit after coming up with that word.

Mentions: D. Rex D. Rex Felis Felis Sherwood Sherwood

Toryk grinned at Jalana. "Aye, a good thing it be that we need to no pretty tongue to draw the eye. So long as their eyes be on you instead of walking around the house, then that be all that matters. To that, I do no be really mattering if they like you or not. Just so long as they be out of the hair of us burglars. Punching them in the gut and leading them on a merry chase would be just as good as seducing them for a romp in the bushes."

Brazamal offers up a chuckle. "Well, if you want loud and distracting, I can fill that role quite well. It is an unfortunate thing that many see one of the Dragonborn and assume that we are of slow wit, and that is a stereotype that I have used to my advantage on more than one occasion. I am just afraid that if I do make a lot of noise at the front door that it might alert the residents of the manor house that there is trouble afoot, and be on alert for the rest of you."

Toryk gave the Dragonborn a wink, "Aye, and that be the plan if need be. 'Cept the trouble they be alerted to would be some knaves making a scene at the door. Slap them with the left hand. And rob them under their noses with the right. I like to call this masterful maneuver a 'distraction'." He said, grinning as he held up his fingers to finger quote the term.

Toryk laughed and looked up at the building. His mood was rather good. The information he bought was well worth it. Garny Toothlicker. She was in this city. Somewhere. Good. That meant he didn't have to worry about the Indomitable right now. And knowing her... she would be pretty easy to track down from there. He would get his hands on her soon enough. But first, he had a job to do.

"Sorry, Gorbo, the salt and the sun has addled this poor gnolls brain, you see. You know I be counting on you, mate. I'm ready as ill ever be."

"Ivvie and me can take ye pixie. Being upstairs, its the better way to get a signal to us."

Athaclenna looks at the large house for a moment, then says, "Well, whatever it is that we are going to do, lets do it soon. Just do your best to not need my services as healer on this!"

"Do be careful, Atha. I do no be wanting you to be getting hurt. First sign of trouble, if you can't incopaciectate them then make a ruckus and run away in hopes they follow you. I will do the same if me team gets caught. Will buy us a little extra time."

D. Rex D. Rex Gorbo looked pleased by the gnoll. He had spoken his name correctly and took the little familiar with him, which scored brownie points for him somewhat. Everyone seemed eager to accomplish their task. He had better put his game face on as well.

Felis Felis Ivvie's sight glittered with an eldritch sheen as she wove together words and hand waves into an innate magic which Gorbo quickly recognised as Detect Magic. That could be very handy in this Oleg character's house if the Collector was truthful about him. Athaclenna seemed like a healer. Some magical juggernauts, some of martial prowess, and some of the subtler arts. This seemed like an interesting bunch.

Shadeofshade Shadeofshade Pheccty was able to observe much from the boy that worked in the stables as his comrades spoke. The worker was young, probably fourteen and not exactly hired for his quick wit and patient hand when it came to horses and other riding animals. He was most likely hired here because of other reasons, but whether it was due to nepotism or to keep up appearances it was difficult to say. The boy tossed back his lengthy blond hair and muttered that he would rather do something under his breath, and Pheccty could gauge the words "I wish" and "friends." He glanced over to the odd-seeming group of adventurers that was on the other side of the street, then at Pheccty. Gauging from his reaction, he assumed you all looked rather sketchy and shady and just kept working, harder this time.

Regarding genasi, you know something about them, but nothing too exceedingly informative. Particular swells of power occur naturally in the Planes, and some saturate into humans and animals, changing them and their offspring. Genasi are regularly born of any race, sometimes between two mortals, but some can be born with genie blood, whose elemental beings' powers and traits can be inherited. Four genasi occur in nature: those of earth, air, fire, and water. Oleg is one that is affiliated with earth, from the rocky protuberances on his skin and shaved head.

-- -- -- -- --

Should the party proceed as planned, they would come across three different obstacles.

Psychie Psychie Shadeofshade Shadeofshade
1.) Athaclenna and Pheccty -- in search of a cellar door or something to infiltrate from a bottom floor -- no stealth roll needed -- you both come across not a cellar door, but a crawlspace that leads under the floor, blocked by wires that can require a bit of finesse with thieves' tools. From here you can see primitive connections of dwarven engineering, where water drains toward a manhole of a sewer system, but it is wide enough for one person and there seems to be light peering from within. Heavy footfalls creak overhead, and the voice of something that was making those footfalls in a low, low, low rumble talking about another failure.

Backward, some of the windows are clouded from outside soot and grime, but the windows lead to the room where that voice was coming from, and those heavy footfalls. Continuing forward, there is a once-solid back door that has clearly seen better days, rust built up and eating away at any exposed metal prone. The wood seems warped and mottled with grime like the windows, just serving as a portal entrance instead of anything decorative or splendid in appearance.

jaydude jaydude Sherwood Sherwood
2.) Jalana and Brazamal -- acting as muscle and diversion at the front entrance -- no stealth roll needed -- you both would see the stablehand staring at you, unsure of your intentions but glad that you did not come to him. He would continue raking and scooping hay with a bit better haste, as if his job and even his life was on the line. The door is finer than the establishment around it, with the tiniest peephole of shaped glass serving as a safety net and elegant whitewash over the tasteful and unmarred wood surface. Whoever wanted to live here desired to keep up with appearances, even in one of the poorer districts. This ostentatious door, however, seems to be begging to be knocked down, or at the very least knocked on.

The windows in front are clean, and looking in you can see curtains drawn over them, green but thin. Inside you can see what looks like two bedrooms near the door. The left is uninteresting, not really showing much of note except for a bookcase full of curios. Some of these things might need investigating. The right shows two beds and a chest.

Felis Felis D. Rex D. Rex
3.) Ivvie and Toryk -- climbing to the roof to find a good access in -- ROLL STEALTH (and Athletics if you like for your own portrayal) FOR CLIMBING -- finding a good point of the sloping roof to clamber on, unless you were Ivvie and had the capability of flight, you would find that the roof is somewhat high for you to climb, but very possible. Up on the top of the roof where the attic is, you can find the atticspace, a screened-in place that had deteriorated to a point where it cannot stop bats from flying in and making it their new home. Where you are you can smell that they have made it their home for a while now. Ivvie can see an orb within the window, Abjuration in nature. Someone had prepared something up there, probably thinking of it as a weakness that can be exploited. If that is so, you are on the right track. Nothing else can be seen, at least where you are. Wait, down below . . . a long sliver of something magical through the floor where your feet was, and it was moving. A magical weapon? Guards? Perhaps it is safe to assume this place was guarded.

Gorbo kept a keen weather eye on the streets, unsure if the man was going to come back right this second or not but not going to be surprised if he could help it. If worse comes to worst, he could help the others escape from a different angle than the house, but that is grave thinking. He had to trust that they would be able to do the task at hand and do everything he can to interrupt Oleg and the frightful Jubilee if he comes back.

Last edited:
Sherwood Sherwood
Standing in front of the door - she was hardly one to describe it as gaudy, given the kind of armour her people favoured - Jalana folded her arms and gave Brazamal a wry glance.

"I know Toryk's the expert in this sort of thing, but if we're both going to be complicit in an act of breaking and entering, it almost makes sense for us to force our way through this door and try to steal the damn ruby ourselves." she said to the Dragonborn.

Brazamal ponders this for a moment. He finally says, "Well, I suppose I could try to kick the door in. Not only would that be loud, it would serve as a good distraction for Toryk to slip in and find this gem." He looks at the door for another moment, pondering the best place to try and smash the thing open, and decides on the latch as probably the best bet. "If I can't kick it in, I could always try my sword on it. I know for a fact that it would work."

Brazamal ponders this for a moment. He finally says, "Well, I suppose I could try to kick the door in. Not only would that be loud, it would serve as a good distraction for Toryk to slip in and find this gem." He looks at the door for another moment, pondering the best place to try and smash the thing open, and decides on the latch as probably the best bet. "If I can't kick it in, I could always try my sword on it. I know for a fact that it would work."
"Oh, that fiery thing? Yeah, that makes sense. Fire burns wood after all. And if it doesn't work, we've got my maul." replied Jalana. "Still, let's see if they're willing to open the door for us first, shall we?"

She raised a hand, and would knock on the door if Brazamal didn't stop her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back