• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Rubies of Eventide IC Thread (D&D 5e)

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Other
Here
Brazamal looks over at Phectty before he leaves and asks, "Would you like a hand with that? I don't know much about horses, but sometimes an extra hand can be a welcome thing."

Shadeofshade Shadeofshade

Toryk patted his belly, full of the good fish, and highly satisfied. "Aye, Atha, I'm a-comin'. I'm a a-comin'." He said as he got up from his chair regrettably. He was all ready to meet the collector again. He had that report to give. And, hopefully, he had some knew information to give him.

Thanny Thanny
I didn't get the chance to write it out in post. But assuming it happened during the meal, and the discussion happened via Thieves Cant. What would Toryk have learned from Smallmouth regarding the ship? How much did it cost to grease his palm?

Sherwood Sherwood

As Phectty opened the door, he heard Brazamal's question, stopped for a moment and thought about it. Most of the stuff he had were in the chests, barrels or bags he had with the exception of a few tools and a book. The barrels and chests might need some muscle to move them in such a way so that there is room for everyone and so the tools are easily accessible. The more he thought about it the more he thought it was a good idea.

Turning back to Brazamal, Phectty said, “You know, that would help out a lot. I most likely need some help moving stuff around as, even though there is not that many, they are heavy. I can introduce you to the horses, set them up and then help with moving stuff around so we can get going faster. So yes please, if you wouldn’t mind?”

Sherwood Sherwood D. Rex D. Rex Psychie Psychie jaydude jaydude Felis Felis Shadeofshade Shadeofshade

Gorbo observed as the fresh gathering of adventurers got ever ready for the trip through the city. Though they were seemingly mostly unacquainted with each other, they seemed to easily tolerate each other, even show curiosity or happiness upon discussion. It was a refreshing thing after visiting many a den of villainy along the Sword Coast's edge and the smaller puckering spots of life further inland, where life was cheap and knives were drawn just as easily as a breath.

"Yes, this seems like a good bunch," he muttered under his breath (those with Passive Perception 14+ or excellent hearing can hear this), allowing a smile before having it fade into a frown. "A carriage? A fine mode of transportation. I prefer to walk and talk, but this would be quicker." He turns toward Phectty. "Is there enough room for three in the front, if the knight here wishes to seat himself at the head? I will direct you."

D. Rex D. Rex Toryk, you learned from Smallmouth that there was a man in an alley who knows seemingly everything about ships docked here, nestled in the Docks District and with abundant information about every ship, even yours. He may not know of the sinking of your ship, but your quarry and its destination would be known by the dockhands who have their eyes and ears always open. The information is free, as Smallmouth is ironically a bigmouth, but coins for premium information would cost at least 50 gold.

1625917301897.png
Found online, but what source I have no idea. It looked good for this campaign, though.

Upon gathering inside the carriage, the company rolled out and was taken further into the heart of the city. Along the way they passed through one of many gatehouses that segregated the districts of Yartar. The crowds were bustling as people sought the central marketplace to buy or hawk their wares. Some took to the streetside itself, offering various items in an erratic state of moving throughout the city. Those who are local to Yartar have seen this as commonplace but frustrating, as there was hardly a chance for repeat business with wandering peddlers, but that coin could always be spent on the next best thing. A trade city through and through, you can always expect something out of the ordinary.

"Cutlery of the finest silver!" called one halfling man, clutching tightly a bundle of bagged utensils.
"Magical gold rings blessed by the Green Goddess Eldath's waters!" hawked a tabaxi woman in a blend of worldly leathers and furs and, strangely, holy woman's cloth raiment. Bones and wooden ornaments rattled within her blond hair. "Able to cure all ailments, past and present and future for two thousand gold, or one use for a hundred!"
"Gildings for your armours and items! I can make anything look better than new with gold trim!" voiced one more, a dwarf decked in finery and with his hands clutching close items from his kit as if to prove himself experienced.

A dozen, two dozen, five dozen more issued their callouts, catchphrases, and hustles. Gambling corners operated near the entrances of residential buildings, and some even further into the narrow passages that led to the deeper homes. The closer to the center, the less crime, gambling, and illicit goods there seemed to be, perhaps in no small part due to the guards that were stationed in quintets every now and again in station, some veterans and some young and spry but no doubt trained well by their seniors.

Shadeofshade Shadeofshade "There," uttered Gorbo wherever he was (he could be next to Phectty or popping his head out from the window or slat of the carriage), stabbing his finger toward the comfortable shade amid some buildings. The road was tiny and did not offer much room for two trains of horses going either way, but on the other side there was a clearing. The road itself showed Hill Giant Avenue on the intersection. "There is a stable down that road, or further down along the main street. You can park your carriage and horses there. The staff can take care of them until you are ready to leave. "

Wherever Phectty decided to park, Gorbo would lead them to the building and arrive at the doorstep, his hand rapping the double doors' right brass-barred knocker with a trio of slow knocks. There was scuffling behind the door of cloth and metal, and the door opened halfway to reveal a half-elf guard in full breastplate. His eyes were as sharp as his ears, his nose aquiline, and his shaved head unadorned even by a helmet.

"Gorbo," the knife-eyed guard brought to voice, looking down at the gnome with a smile before analysing the newcomers. "Are these adventurers he was hoping to see? You came back fast. Within two hours, if I counted right."

"I lucked out," reported Gorbo with a lopsided grin. "I came across them in the first outlet in West District. They seem plenty capable."

Sherwood Sherwood "Right," returned the guard, sliding his hand absently over his pate as he stared at the members, especially the dragonborn, suspiciously. It seems the holy symbol of Bahamut caught his eye. "Well, the master is upstairs and will be eager to learn of your success. But first, what are their names?"

"I haven't asked." Gorbo looked toward the party behind him. It is unclear if deep gnomes were able to visibly blush or not, but the heat certainly rose to his soot-grey cheeks. "What are your names?"

Last edited:
"Jalana Ramondo, originally of Turmish." said the tall woman, who had rode alongside Phectty's carriage on her horse, and left her steed in the same place as the merchant's horses.

He has the coins. He needs the info. Toryk would pay the price without second thought. This information doesn't come cheap. Not when such information is guarded for the sake of piracy. Of course, Toryk is a pirate, with the reputation of what comes with the trade, so it would be safe to assume what sort of price one would pay if they had given the gnoll "less than premium" information.

Thanny Thanny
"Come now, you remember my name at, least no? Certainly you can't have forgotten me already." He said in big toothy grin. He was a gnoll. He was getting rather fond of making impressions on people so easily. "A poor way to treat a co-worker, i say."

To be fair. Toryk did not remember the guards name.

Brazamal offers up a polite bow as he says, "I am Brazamal, at your service."

With everyone on the carriage and Gorbo sitting next to him on the driver’s seat for directions they set off. As they trundled along and through the central marketplace, Phectty couldn’t help but chuckle. “Oh, the days of trading. How long and hard you can be.” he mumbled to himself.

As they got closer to their destination Gorbo pointed out a stable down a road. Phectty brought the carriage to a stop for a moment so he could examine if he could even get it down the street. There didn’t seem to be much room so he looked down further and spotted how it opened up more later. So, he took the horses and the carriage down there to the stable Gorbo mentioned. When Phectty was handing his horses and carriage to the staff to look after as he did business, he said, “If you wouldn’t mind giving Samantha, Cassandra, Virgil and Dante a brush down, I would very much appreciate it.” Pointing to each of the horses as he said their names. He produced a gold coin from his clothes and added, “I’m not sure how much it would be for that service but I believe in fair trade. Here is a gold coin now and I have another for when I come back. I do hope that would be enough.”

With that now done, he followed Gorbo. As soon as the group was asked for their names, Phectty took special note of each of his new potential family members and then said, “My name is Phectty, a travelling trader that does a little adventuring on the side. I hope to be of service.” Bowing as he said this.

A fancy place called for a fancy introduction. Ivvie muttered under her breath, readying her Gust spell, then lifted her arms and pirouetted. "Ivvie Cherr, most pleased to meet you!" she offered a bow, letting her clothes ripple dramatically from her magic once she straightened up.

Transmutation cantrip | Casting time: 1 action | Range: 30 ft. | Components: V, S | Duration: Instantaneous
You seize the air and compel it to create one of the following effects at a point you can see within range:
- One Medium or smaller creature that you choose must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be pushed up to 5 feet away from you.
- You create a small blast of air capable of moving one object that is neither held nor carried and that weighs no more than 5 pounds. The object is pushed up to 10 feet away from you. It isn't pushed with enough force to cause damage.
- You create a harmless sensory effect using air, such as causing leaves to rustle, wind to slam shutters closed, or your clothing to ripple in a breeze.

The guard looked on to the others with what seemed like idle curiosity or mild irritation. He had seen a lot of run-of-the-mill adventurers throughout the forty-five years of his life, and they blend together as the years trail on, though this troupe seemed especially diverse. Diverse meant danger. He knew what others were capable of, but the mages looked especially curious. He admired the little owl, however, who had managed to wring a smile from his lips. The others appealed to him as well, especially those of elvish and human descent, though towards Brazamal he showed gruffness and almost hostility toward, perhaps because of his descent or the dangling holy symbol.

Gorbo listened to all that was said with mnemonic mumblings, trying to store everyone's names. He did recall Toryk's name from previously upon further recollection, or at least his first name. It was weird because he usually could recall so much from mnemonic systems, but some seemed fuzzy or half-baked. Shame, that. Must be an early form of senility.

"Jalana Ramondo," he started out, eyes half-closed at first under fluttering eyelids before focusing on each chosen individual, "originally of Turmish; Toryk the gnoll, a sailor; Brazamal the dragonborn, Phectty the trader; Ivvie Cherr the . . . aarakocra, are you? And Atheclenna Gollana the elf. I hope that is a fair assessment for everyone." He opened his eyes and dared a flashing grin towards the guard. "I hope that solves all formalities. Now, will you let us all in, Hesperian?"

A grumble escaped the bulky man as he stepped in, pulling the door fully open. He was still barricading everyone's way, however, and voiced lowly, "Touch nothing except what you are allowed by the master of the house. Some of these things are collector's items. Well, The Collector's items, more specifically, and he hates to see them disturbed." He turned his head towards Gorbo, stepped aside, and flashed a grin. "Now you may proceed."

"Right," said Gorbo icily, turning about soon afterward. "I will show you the way. Follow me."

1626399954768.png
Shapes:
Black = behind closed doors, thick red solid blocks = doors, thin red solid blocks = windows, rest is furniture.

As the party stepped in from the southern entrance of the building, the house seemed cavernous and majestic. No expense seemed to be spared regarding the furnishings. Rich curtains and carpets seemed to grace the newcomers and led them further up toward a stairwell, but something seemed particularly odd. The tables were strangely bare of even a candle as if purposely left so. Guards permeated some of the darkened sections of the house, pointed metal hats and a breastplate similar to the man who met the party at the door all worn and presented along with a spear in hand, and one shorter one on every one of their backs.

As the rooms went on, the place looked more like a museum than a place of living. Exhibits were able to be seen in the centers and sides of the rooms, and bookcases adorning some of the walls, filled if not half then wholly with rare tomes and wonderous finds for at least someone on the planet. First and second editions were revealed, as well as marvelous armours and a curious bone wand the exhibit called "The Wand of Orphan Targeting Magic Missiles." The subscript was less than apologetic for the name, rather extending the information as "shoots a magic missile which seeks out the nearest orphan within six miles."

"He likes that one," Gorbo offered to anyone who perused the exhibits before starting up the stairs.

1626401316276.png
Shapes:
Black = behind closed doors, thick red solid blocks = doors, thin red solid blocks = windows, rest is furniture.

The upstairs of the L-shaped staircase was even more of a museum than the first floor, decorated with abundant chandeliers that appeared to be lit with a red smokeless flame and glass cases beneath them. Armours, weapons, magnificent jewelry and rings -- all not exactly disclosing of what they were from the party's angle at least, and bookcases again lined a small hallway leading to the end of the house. Not much time could be used to explore as Gorbo turned right at the top of the stairs and started leading everyone towards what looked like one of the only two rooms besides this main cavity of the building.

"Through this door lies the Collector. Do be kind enough to be on your best behaviour," Gorbo cautioned.

With the door now open, one could see the vast expanse of a bed on the left-hand side and a working deep gnome tinkerer to the right of it, working at a bench. All sorts of gizmos and gadgets lined the bench, and he turned around to see who was intruding on his time. His eyes, clouded by dark-glassed goggles, seemed delighted by the presence of new people, interesting people, and he hopped out of his chair to greet them, lifting his goggles up to the top of his forehead.

1626432030817.png
Credit to the artist, whoever you are.

"Hello, hello, hello!" he piped in wizened tones, older than Gorbo was and more crackly. His white beard and bushy brows seemed brighter in comparison to his darker skin, and his eyes seemed lit in intelligence. "Fresh faces, fresh faces. Lovely. Are you here about the ad?" he asked everyone.

Last edited:
Athaclenna nods, and speaks up. "Yes, well met, Master Collector, sir. With any luck, we can be of service to you. If you may, would you please tell us more about what it is you require? It would make helping you so much easier to know just what we were supposed to be doing."

Brazamal says, "You have an amazing collection, good sir. Truly amazing. It must have taken years to assemble."

As they were walking through the home, Phectty was looking around and pricing things up in his head. “So much...The Collector must have some serious cash...wait, are those books?” He thought as they walked past some books. Phectty loved books, and knew how expensive they can be. He knew just from what he had seen on the first floor so far that if he touched anything, he would be in debt for a long time.

As he saw The Collector and his, what Phectty assumed was his, workshop, he couldn't help but wonder if Phectty’s family business might be able to sell some of these kinds of gadgets and gizmos. After Brazamal had commented on the grandeur of the collection, Phectty commented, “Indeed, and expensive. I bet just one of those books down on the first floor would cost more than what I would normally earn when I do a day's worth of sales.” Closing his eyes and shaking his head, Phectty added, “In any case, I would love to do business with you again after we have done your request, if you’re not against it?”

Jalana gave impressed looks to various curios in the collection, though her eyes narrowed disapprovingly at the Wand of Orphan-Targeting Magic Missiles. It was a disturbed mind who came up with something that deliberately targeted those who'd already lost their parents. The mind of an individual who wanted to keep such a thing on display wasn't much better.

Entering what appeared to be the Collector's office, Jalana did nothing more than quickly glance at the various objects on the bench; no way was she going to hurt her mind by trying to figure out what everything was, especially when the man they'd all come here to talk with was here. Instead she stood and waited for him to answer Athaclenna's question, and perhaps also respond to Brazamal and Phectty's remarks.

Aarakocra... near enough. Ivvie shrugged slightly. The distinction didn't matter that much to her. If it came up again, she could always correct the impression later.

Far more importantly, this place was fascinating! It was so tempting to go ahead and try leafing through a tome or two regardless of what the guard had said. Or moving the joint of an armor to see if it was creaky at all. Or trying to wield one of the miscellaneous other items. But there were so many eyes watching and Ivvie didn't want to be kicked out before she at least knew more about this job. So with an effort, she kept her hands clasped behind her back, and just lingered at each display they passed for a moment, staring with wide, shiny eyes.

The Collector seemed like an interesting person himself, and more approachable than Gorbo and the guard downstairs had made him seem, Ivvie found. She nodded to the others' remarks. "Yes, it's truly breathtaking, all those marvelous items! Are we to look for something similarly wonderful?"

Sherwood Sherwood Shadeofshade Shadeofshade : "Aye, that it did, that it did," replied the Collector to Brazamal in chipper manner, pleased to hear compliments about his gatherings. He scrambled past his chair and grinned up at the dragonborn with his spread out, and to the rest of them for good measure. "A hundred and fifty years is sizable for finding, crafting, and gathering exotic specimens, but they have for the most part been worth it. Some . . . some not so much, resulting in dangerous deals, ones which I mostly have ended up on top of. Ee hee hee! But yes, I would welcome repeat business, for buying from me or for selling to me, though I hope more for the selling. I am always in the market for exquisite goods."

Phectty, as he was a merchant and may have sold a few high-end books throughout his trades, would probably gauge most of these books to be valued at 100 gp or more, and considering the large volume of books on the shelves and at least seven bookshelves he had seen he could probably assume at least 3000 gp per bookshelf and 21000 gp easily using quick maths. However, [benefit of having a Passive Perception 15+], Phectty would have noticed that some of the spines of these books glimmered a rainbow hue, perhaps a marking of oil to show that they indeed are the real deal. What it really was was an unknown.

Felis Felis The Collector also looked up at the lovely owlfolk Ivvie, finding the girl perhaps just barely taller than he was at her 3'5" (he was 3'3"). She was smaller than most of her kin but she seemed to possess a keen eye herself, and the stench of manipulation of the Weave. So she was a sorcerer. Very interesting! Very interesting indeed!

jaydude jaydude D. Rex D. Rex Psychie Psychie : "However, for your sake, little missies, I shall go right to the meat of the conversation," the Collector soon afterward replied to Athaclenna, his dark eyes practically burrowing into her own with the same grin. "I am indeed seeking out something I find highly valuable, some rubies called The Rubies of Eventide. As your gnoll friend would know, having known him before and employed him for this very task, I want each and every Ruby for my collection. They have been lost for so long, but recent events have informed me of one of their whereabouts. It had been thought lost at sea, but the Indomitable had stopped in. It made no sales -- no great shift in inventory but some added food -- but I know better. They had one of the Rubies and sold it to my local rival."

His eyes lit up as he stomped his silk boot on the wooden floor more out of show than actual fury. There was a bit of fury mixed in as well, of course, his lip quivering seemingly against his better judgement.

"I want it back, my precious jewel, and am willing to part with a finder's fee and the full cost of the Ruby I had agreed upon. A paltry sum of . . . oh, I don't know, 20,000 gp split between all of you with a chance for repeat business. Eh? How does that sound?"

Athaclenna raises up her eyebrows and lets out a low whistle. Even split up, that was a lot of money, especially with the promise of more work to come. "Good sir, that is an impressive offer, but before I can accept it with any sort of good conscience, I would like to know more about this ruby. Is it a magic item? Is it inherently evil, or is it simply a fine gemstone that you wish to add to your collection? How will we know it when we find it?"

Brazamal is also impressed with the payment offered up. This ruby must be of significant value to this Collector to be worth 20,000 gold pieces! I hazard a guess that there is more to this gem than we currently know. "I would agree that more information is needed, if you would, good sir."

Brazamal will also search his memory to see if he can tell anything of these Rubies.

Not much with a 9

As long as we are at it, Athaclenna will think back to the old tomes she has read to see if anything comes to mind.

Absolutely Nothing! Wow.

A hundred and fifty years! 20,000 gold coins! What numbers! Those Rubies had to be quite the gems. Of course, all rubies were precious stones, but Ivvie was fairly sure a jewel had to be either huge or special in some other way to be worth that much.

Psychie Psychie
She glanced at Athaclenna when the elf spoke up. Ivvie had been about to agree enthusiastically to the offer, but... "You mean evil as in cursed?" she asked, eyes wide. That... might take quite some of the fun out of the endeavor. On the other hand, forewarned was forearmed, wasn't it?

Thanny Thanny
"In any case, it would be a great help to know where to start looking," Ivvie addressed the Collector again with a smile, doing her best to gloss over having been spooked a little. Just a little. "Who might this rival of yours be, and do you have any idea what he may have done with the Ruby? Where he may have taken it?"

She glanced at Athaclenna when the elf spoke up. Ivvie had been about to agree enthusiastically to the offer, but... "You mean evil as in cursed?" she asked, eyes wide. That... might take quite some of the fun out of the endeavor. On the other hand, forewarned was forearmed, wasn't it?
Athaclenna nods. "I don't know, since I've never heard of these gemstones before, but I would be remiss if I did not point out the possibility of such a curse being laid on the stone."

Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood jaydude jaydude Shadeofshade Shadeofshade Felis Felis D. Rex D. Rex

The Collector looked among the baffled adventurers with a bit of delight, and even laughed giddily to himself in crisp hee-hee-hees. Gorbo raised his bushy eyebrow in skepticism and repugnance. This kind of money could set anyone on a good lifestyle for life, or could give one a spectacular house in a spectacular city, with secured help for five years to boot. This was common enough in his eyes. Throwing money on the table and watching the cogs turn seemed to make The Collector's eyes shine with joy.

Shadeofshade Shadeofshade , with a 6, you do not know of much pertaining to the Rubies themselves, but may know a contact for magical items in nearby city, the city of Neverwinter. That is days away in comparison to this city, on the other hand. (I can make this visit short if chosen.)

Sherwood Sherwood , with a 9, you may know of some small hintings of history that allege of their existence. This is not a made-up story by The Collector, and maybe some church brethren know of the gem, enclaved in the city's slums after persecution. (I can make this visit short if chosen).

Psychie Psychie , with a 1 you sadly cannot remember anything pertinent to the Rubies, no matter how hard you try.

"I can assure you all the offer is as real as the stone I have you seek, and it is quite real, I doubly assure you. It is one of a set of, if history is to be believed, five, and it is magical in origin, though what magicks it may hold are unknown to me, with the exception of reading magic. Do [not] read its magic, understand? If you see a ruby the size of your thumb, that is enough. No need to read it.

"As for a curse, I do not know of any such curses, just that they were scattered. Finding one was difficult, but not finding them all together might mean that they all have not met since their first and only union. What a tremendous discovery that would be, one I would happily expend monies on to see. But I need your help, adventurers, to get them, being as busy as my gnomish self is." He elaborated by showcasing his gadgets and whatchamacallits, then chuckled his best old-man chuckle. "These babies have me quite busy, but the income is good, so good. Anyhow, get me one and I will find the others. I have just the spells for this.

"My rival has been stashed away locally. I cannot see him now with my location spells, which makes me suspect he has warded his house, making it impossible to scry. However, I scried him while he was away. His house is in the poor district, near the east gate and along Summerbane Road. Number 22, Summerbane Road. Remember that. I hope to hear good news, travellers. Oh! I almost forgot. My rival has a love for a certain spell. I am certain that he will keep the Ruby in such a spell. Leave no stone unturned. He is a crafty wizard, that Oleg. Yes, yes, I recommend breaking in while he is away. He is powerful and has a hired help that can be . . . trouble."

He offered a scroll from his workbench, tidily rolled and in pristine condition. Either he bought the thing this way firsthand or he crafted it himself, but if unravelled by someone familiar with spells one can see "Leomund's Secret Chest" on it in common. The rest was in Draconic script.

"Read this well. It holds all the information you need to summon forward or back. Just do not cast it unless you need to. I would rather not have someone jaunt worlds beyond our world in search for it. It is a . . . pricey endeavour.

"I assume you want an upfront partial payment, yes. I will not part ways with half -- that would be not very prudent of me -- but I will give you 500 gold each person for starters. I warn you, however, that should you accept and not return I can find you all for getting my gold back, spent or not. Remember that too."

He flashed his teeth slightly menacingly, as well as a decrepit old man can, anyways.

Secret Chest​

4th level Conjuration

• Casting Time: 1 action
  • Range: Touch
  • Components: V S M (An exquisite chest, 3 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet, constructed from rare materials worth at least 5,000 gp, and a Tiny replica made from the same materials worth at least 50 gp)
  • Duration: Instantaneous
  • Classes: Wizard
  • You hide a chest, and all its contents, on the Ethereal Plane. You must touch the chest and the miniature replica that serves as a material component for the spell. The chest can contain up to 12 cubic feet of nonliving material (3 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet).
    While the chest remains on the Ethereal Plane, you can use an action and touch the replica to recall the chest. It appears in an unoccupied space on the ground within 5 feet of you. You can send the chest back to the Ethereal Plane by using an action and touching both the chest and the replica.
    After 60 days, there is a cumulative 5 percent chance per day that the spell’s effect ends. This effect ends if you cast this spell again, if the smaller replica chest is destroyed, or if you choose to end the spell as an action. If the spell ends and the larger chest is on the Ethereal Plane, it is irretrievably lost.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back